East Bay Township Michigan

Grand Travese County


The township of East Bay was organized by the board of supervisors in January, 1867, and now embraces the following territory: Fractional sections 7 and 8 and the west half of fractional 9, all of sections 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 and 36, township 27 north, range 10 west; and the east half of sections 18 and 19, township 27 north, range 9 west; also sections 1, 2, 3, 4. 5. 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, and the north half of the northeast quarter of section 6, township 26 north, range 10 west.

A dock and saw-mills were built at the head of the bay in this township in the 'fifties, but the timber that was available has been used up and the mill is out of commission. When this township was organized it included a portion of the present township of Acme, and a resident of that portion, J. B. Haviland, was the first supervisor. There are four school buildings in the township, and one saw-mill that employs about fifteen hands.

(Sprague's history of Grand Traverse and Leelanaw counties, Michigan edited and compiled by Elvin L. Sprague and Mrs. George N. Smith 1903)