Garfield Township Michigan

Grand Travese County


The township of Garfield was organized by the board of supervisors in January, 1882, and now embraces the following described territory: The west half of section 4, except the southeast quarter of the northwest quarter, which belongs to Traverse City, and the west half of section 9, all of sections 7. 8, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 and 36, township 27 north, range n west; also section 6, except the north half of the northeast quarter, and all of sections 7, 8, 17 and 18, township 26 north of range 10 west. The first supervisor was H. E. Steward.

There are seven school buildings in the township and two churches, Methodist Episcopal and Evangelical Alliance. The dam and power-house of the Boardman River Electric Light and Power Company are located on the Boardman river in this township. It is an excellent township of farming and fruit lands. The celebrated fruit farm of the late Judge Ramsdell, and the market garden of the late James K. Gunton are located in this township, as well as many others.

(Sprague's history of Grand Traverse and Leelanaw counties, Michigan edited and compiled by Elvin L. Sprague and Mrs. George N. Smith 1903)