Old Mission MI
Grand Traverse County

 


This is now a beautiful summer resort village, located in Peninsula township, eighteen miles north of Traverse City, on Old Mission harbor. It was the first place on the bay settled by the whites. Peninsula has for many years produced a great amount of fruit and other farm products, which is shipped largely from the docks owned by William D. Bagley, at Old Mission. The place possesses great historic interest. A rural mail delivery line between Traverse City and this point was established in 1902.

A line for an electric railroad has been surveyed between the two places, but active work has not yet been commenced in the way of grading. Hotel Hedden and Rushmore House are two hotels here. George Lardie has a general store. There is a Methodist Episcopal church and a Congregational church, the history of which is given in another part of this work. There is a Maccabee and Grange Hall at Old Mission.

There are now in the township of Peninsula seven school houses, embracing a total of eight rooms. The township also owns a town hall, erected at a cost of six hundred dollars. The first supervisor of the township was Robert Campbell.
Sprague's history of Grand Traverse and Leelanaw counties, Michigan edited and compiled by Elvin L. Sprague and Mrs. George N. Smith 1903



Old Mission, MI (The Golden Tower) - Contributed by Paul Potesky



Old Mission, MI (A Drive Through The Fruit Section) (1910) - Contributed by Paul Potesky



Visit the Michigan State Page

Visit Genealogy Trails

Visit our National Genealogy Trails Site

 

Visit Genealogy Trails National Site

All data on this website is Copyright 2016 by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.