Paradise Township Michigan

Grand Travese County


Paradise township was organized by the board of supervisors in April, 1870. The territory now embraced in the township is township 25 north, range 10 west, and the south half of township 26 north, range 10 west. The first supervisor was Thomas Wynkoop.

There are three villages in the township, Mayfield, Kingsley and Summit, only one, however, Kingsley, being incorporated. All are located on the Grand Rapids & Indiana Railroad, and were started about the time the road was built.

At a very early day Gibbs Brothers built a saw-mill at Mayfield, and later a grist-mill. The grist-mill was destroyed by fire some years since. The manufacture of lumber and shingles was carried on by the firm for many years extensively. About four years ago the firm was dissolved and the business went into the hands of James L. Gibbs, who continued it until his death, since which time it has been conducted by his widow, Mrs. Addie A. Gibbs. The saw-mill was destroyed by fire only a few months since. The population of the village does not now probably exceed one hundred. There is a Methodist Episcopal church located at this point.

Summit, which is about nineteen miles southeast of Traverse City, has a population of about two hundred and fifty. The village has three general stores, one school building of two rooms, a Methodist Episcopal church, and a flouring-mill, with a capacity of thirty- five barrels per day. There arc nine school buildings, containing a total of twelve rooms, in the township of Paradise.

(Sprague's history of Grand Traverse and Leelanaw counties, Michigan edited and compiled by Elvin L. Sprague and Mrs. George N. Smith 1903)