Whitewater Township Michigan

Grand Travese County


The township of Whitewater was organized by the board of supervisors in October, 1859, and now embraces the following described territory: All that part of sections 13, 14, 23 and 24, township 28 north of range 9 west, lying between Elk and Round Lakes; the east half of sections 5, 8, 17, 20, 29, 32, and all of fractional sections 3, 10, 15, 22, 23 and 24, and all of sections 4, 9, 16, 21, 28, 33, 34, 35 and 36, township 28 north, range 9 west; the west three-fourths of section 5, the west half of sections 18 and 19, and all of sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33> 34> 35 and 36, township 27 north, range 9 west. William H. Fife was the first supervisor.

Angell is a postoffice in this township, eighteen miles northeast of Traverse City, on the Pere Marquette Railroad, established when that road was built, and contains, besides the postoffice, a small saw and shingle mill. A Methodist Episcopal church is located near this place.

(Sprague's history of Grand Traverse and Leelanaw counties, Michigan edited and compiled by Elvin L. Sprague and Mrs. George N. Smith 1903)