Genealogy Trails History Group - Finding Ancestors wherever their trails lead

 

Hillsdale County, Michigan
Churches
line

Pictures contributed by Paul Petosky unless otherwise noted.

hillsdale methodist epis

Methodist Episcopal Church & Parsonage
1910

WaldronUBC

United Brethren Church
Waldron, MI, 1908

Methodist church

Methodist Church
Camden, MI, 1940s

Methodist Episcopal church

Methodist Episcopal Church
Frontier MI, 1910

College Baptist church

College Baptist Church
Hillsdale, MI

 

litchfield congregational church

Congregational Church
Litchfield, MI; 1907

The First Presbyterian Church of Litchfield was organized by Rev. Elijah Buck, July 14, 1839, and was reorganized with a Congregational form of government by Rev. Rufus B. Bement, March 20, 1841.  The present elegant and costly church was built in the year 1870; previous to that time the society had a very comfortable frame building, built about the yesr 1846, but there is nothing in the church records to show when it was built.  The ministers have been Revs. Elijah Buck, 1839; Rufus B. Bement 1841; J. J. Bliss, 1843; James Van Wagner, 1849; J. L. Seymour, 1856; Mr Wells, 1857; G. W. Newcomb, 1859; Mr. Frost, 1865; Mr. Updyke, 1873; George Williams, 1875; J. D. Wells, 1878. Besides these there was a Rev. Mr. Kidder and a Rev. Mr. Williams, preached for the society many years ago, but their names are not found in the church records. The present membership of the society is supposed to be about 150.  [Source: "History of Hillsdale County, Michigan", 1879 - Crisfield Johnson Everts & Abbott Philadelphia]


HOME
Genealogy Trails

© Copyright by Genealogy Trails