Hillsdale Co Michigan
City of Jonesville
Jonesvlle, MI (Chicago Street) (1940s) - Postcard from Paul Petosky
The village of Jonesville is the home of many of the prominent men of Hillsdale County. It is the oldest village in the county; from Feb. 18, 1831, to Jan. 30, 1843, its seat of justice, and long the most important place, ranking high among the early settlements of the State. Hillsdale, being nearer the centre of the county, finally became the county-seat, and has since reached the position of greatest importance. However, around Jonesville and vicinity still clings the memory of olden times, and its citizens take a just pride in its varied beauties and its associations of the part.
Jonesville MI-Varnum's Drug Store 1940's - Hillsdale MI
Contributed by Paul Petosky
A list of the early settlers of this village includes many men of excellent character and great capabilities, and among the public officers of the State and country will be found names of those who took up their abode here in the pioneer days, and have since won honor and fame and a national reputation.
The first white woman who located at Jonesville was Benaiah Jones' wife, Mrs. Lois Jones, who was only preceded in the county by one other, the wife of Moses Allen, of Allen Prairie. Mrs. Jones was a native of Peru, Berkshire Co., Mass., where she was born in 1790. In 1812 she came with her father's family to Painesville, Ohio, aud was there soon afterwards married to Mr. Jones, with whom, in the summer of 1828, she came to a new home beside the waters of the St. Joseph, where she died March 18, 1875, in her eighty-fifth year.
When Mr. Jones settled here he built a log house on the west side of the river, in which he kept the first tavern in the village. When James Olds came in 1830, Mr. Jones sold this building to him, and the following year (1831) built the "block" portion of the "Fayette House," adding the frame part to it in 1832. This structure stood on the northwest comer of Chicago and Water (or West) Streets, where now is the meat-market and agricultural implement store. Mr. Jones was also proprietor of s stageline running over the Detroit and Chicago route, probably between Tecumisch and Cold water.
Hon. Jonathan B. Graham, now of Jonesville, and originally from Hartford, Conn., visited this county in 1836, and in October, 1837, arrived here with his wife, having come from Connecticut in a carriage the entire distance, except from Cleveland to Toledo; arriving at the former place, they shipped their horse and buggy, and engaged passage for themselves on a steamer, and came as far as Toledo, in order to avoid the " black swamp," which they had heard was then in a terrible condition. The remaining distance, from Toledo to Jonesville, was traversed in the buggy. Mr. Graham located in the township of Scipo, aud lived there until 1849, when be removed to Jonesville, where he has since resided. The first Connecticut clocks ever brought into Hillsdale County came with Mr. Graham's household goods. In 1849 he bought two targe farms in the vicinity of Jonesville, and in 1851 built his present residence on the smaller one. During the great panic of 1837-38 Mr. Graham lost most of his funds through the worthlessness of the famous "wild-cat" money, but finally recovered his balance and became again prosperous. In 1845 he was elected to the Legislature, and in 1850 was chosen a delegate to the Constitutional Convention. He has been prominently connected with the manufacturing interests of the place, the Jonesville Woolen-Mills having been built under bis direction, and is at present enjoying the benefits of a life well spent.
Hon. Ebenezer O. Grosvenor, now of Jonesville, came to Michigan in 1837, when but seventeen years of age, and located at Albion, Calhoun Co., where be was employed in the store of an older brother. In 1839 he removed to Monroe, and in 1810 to Jonesville, in which latter place he was employed for four years as clerk iu the dry-goods store of H. A. Delavan. In April, 1844, he became a partner with R.S. Varnum; having in February of the same year married a daughter of Hon. Elisha P. Champlin, one of the first settlers of Lenawee County. In 1847, Mr. Champlin purchased Mr. Vadium's interest, and entered iuto partuership with his son-in-law. From 1857 to 1864 Mr. Grosvenor conducted the business alone. In 1875 the firm name was changed to Sibbald, Spaulding & Co., Mr. Grosvenor remaining a |>artner. In April, 1854, he established the banking firm of Grosveuor & Co., which has becu continued to the present lime, with Mr. Grosvenor as manager and principal owner. Early during his residence here be was chosen to all the principal offices in the township, and in 1858 was elected State Senator. In April, 1861, be was commissioned colonel on the staff of Governor Blair, and became president of the Military Contract Board, to which he was appointed. Was elected to the State Senate again in 1862, and Lieutenant-Governor in 1864, on the same ticket with Governor Crapo. By virtue of this office he was president of the State Board of Equalization in 1866, during which year he was elected State Treasurer, holding that office until 1871. Numerous other prominent positions have fallen to his lot; he was the first treasurer of the Jonesville Cotton Manufacturing Company, and was instrumental in directing the route of the Fort Wayne, Jackson and Sagiuaw Railway, with which company he is prominently connected."
Elisha P. Champlin came to Michigan in 1824, and located, at Tecumiseh, Lenawee Co., where he stayed two years, returning thence to New York. About 1830 he again came to Tecumseh, and in 1831 sold his property at that place and removed to Jonesville, where he engaged in the mercantile business with George C. Munro, building a block of stores on the northeast corner of West and Chicago Streets. He remained in business until 1851, when ill health obliged him to retire. He owned a farm adjoining the village on the east. Between the date of his settlement here and 1840 he was twice elected to the House of Representatives, and in the latter year to the Senate of the State. From 1840 until 1844 he was the postmastcr at Jonesville. When he came here he was interested in tbe mill property, probably disposing of his right in it to Hon. Levi Baxter, who, in company with Cook Sisson, erected the mill the same year (1834). Mr. Champlin died in 1855; his widow, now seventy-eight years of age, resides in Jonesville with her son-in-law, Hon. K. O. Grosveuor, whose wife is her oldest daughter.
The following article, from the pen of Mrs. Rosicus Southworth, daughter of Thaddeus Wight, is copied from the records of the Hillsdale County Pioneer Socicty. Her husband was from Windham Co., Conn., and was an early settler in Litchfield township, in January, 1837, where Mrs. S. now resides.
"I was born in November, 1810, in Hope, Montgomery Co., N. Y. When about two years old my father, Thaddeus Wight, emigrated to Ohio, and settled in Euclid, Geauga Co- Here passed eight years, the happiest of my childhood; with a kind father and the best of mothers, home was bright and cheerful for the little ones composing our group. Then a dark cloud of adversity settled over home. Father had signed with other men, and to pay the notes, as he had to do, took his farm, after which he packed up his household goods and shipped them to the mouth of the St. Joseph; put a bed, cooking utensils, his wife, and seven children in the wagon, which was drawn by two yoke of oxen, and started by land for Michigan, my oldest brother, Washburn, then thirteen years old, driving four cows and some young cattle. Thus we started for St. Jo,— the land that flowed with milk and honey. In going down a steep hill my little brother, William, six years old, fell from the wagon, and both wheels ran over him. We took him up for dead; upon examination we found his shoulder badly broken. Laid by a week at the first house, where, fortunately, lived a phvsician, who set the broken limb and kindly cared for him. He helped fix a swing bed in the wagon, and we started again. On arriving at the 'cottonwood swamp,' a settler persuaded father to go through, as it would save many miles of travel. So two men volunteered to go with oxen, axes, and guns to pilot and help us through, as no wagon had as yet ventured, Well do I remember the water and mud into which the wagon plunged every few steps. The dark, gloomy woods were to us children a constant source of terror, and when sister Alvira got lost we were all dismayed; but stopping the team the men and dogs returned the lost child in about two hours. At night our tent was spread, four target fires built to keep the wolves at bay; father with his gun, on one side, and the men with theirs on the other, quieted our fears. It was the first howling of wolves we had heard.
In the morning my brother, myself, and two older sisters started ahead with the cattle, the marked trees being our guide, wading through water all day. Just at night we reached a tavern on this side the swamp, which we hailed with great joy. Here, too, we found friends among strangers. After washing, they furnished us with dry clothes, and prepared supper for twelve. The wagon with mother soon came up. Rested one day; started again on our slow, toilsome journey. When we left Tecumsch we left the road too; took the marked trees for a guide, and reached Jonesville on the fourth week. Here father was obliged to stop, haviug only 12 shillings left, with eight children dependent on him for every comfort of life, and nothing but his hands to do with. He finally squatted upon the place now owned by Isaac Gaige. On this was a cabin 12 feet square, built by trappers the fall before. Into this he put his family and went to plowing for crops, it being the last of April, 1830. Mother soon saw it was impossible to live in this pen, as she called it, and knowing father had no time to build one, commenced herself: with the help of myself and an older sister she had the logs all cut and ready by the lime his crops were in. As we had never used an axe, you can judge how they must have looked, but they were long enough, so father and uncle Stephen Hickox, who had come to 'look' land, with the help of us children raised it. Father sawed off the ends of the logs, save one, which he preserved as a memento and curiosity; the top of this he flattened, and it served as a wash-stand. Previous to raising the house, father went for the goods which had been sent by water. There was no road—only an Indian trail—and no bridges over streams. His feet became sore with walking, and for the last three days he had to be helped on and off his wagon. Mother had waited long and patiently for these goods, to make her children comfortable for the coming winter. The boxes were opened—when, alas! everything was mildewed and spoiled. Nothing of all these precious things she so much needed was left except a large box of dishes. The boat had been wrecked, the goods wet, and laid in that condition three mouths. Now dishes were plenty, but food often scarce, especially when father would be detained at Tecumsch in getting grinding done. At such times mother would send me and my brother five miles to the prairie with a small bag of corn, to pound in a stump dug out and fitted for the purpose. The pestle was like a well-sweep. We would mount the stump, and with our combined strength pound out the little grist and hasten home before sundown, for then the wolves began to howl. We would often meet or see them on our way, and always earned a club to defend ourselves with. Many times the first season we should have suffered for food had it not been for the Indians coming in with venison or turkey. Once mother bought, as she supposed, a turkey, and cheered us up with the promise of a pot-pie for supper. As it was placed on the table father came in, and pronounced it a crane. Mothers appetite vanished, and we lost our pie,
" We learned to appreciate the Indians, especially Baw Beese,—that noble old chief. Shall ever remember his kindness to us, He knew mother was afraid of them, and he tried to make her understand that he was a friend and would keep the rest back from the door until she gave her consent for them to come in. We soon learned to trust him, and always found him truthful and honest. "In September or October, Mr. James Olds came in, giving us two neighbors. About this time the Sioux came here, 600 strong, on their way to Canada for presents, old Black Hawk with his six sons sleeping in the house, much against our wishes. On their return they had many presents, and were highly painted with black stripes,—a token of war. In the month of November following my youngest sister was born. While mother was yet sick our cattle broke out and strayed. On Tuesday morning father started with his dog to find them. Noon, night, and next morning came, but no father. News spread that ho was lost. Even as far as White Pigeon men came, searched three days, and gave up in despair. The morning he started he struck their trail near Allen, going southwest; followed all day, crossing streams ; slept at night by side of a log, with wolves howling and rain falling in torrents; followed trail as best he could next day, and found them just at night. From one he milked his hat-crown full and drank it, and half full again for his dog,—a very good relish alter fasting two days. Started to return with his cattle next morning; drove all day and the next, coming each night to the place of starting in the morning; finally, about noon on Saturday, he heard the report of a gun. Soon it was followed by another still nearer, and in a few momeuts' Wagh, wagh!' said an Indian just behind him. By signs he made him understand that be was lost,—must go to Jones' wigwam.' The Indian would take him there for his dog; would not do it for money, being ignorant of its value. The bargain concluded, the Indian turned the cattle in a different direction, and after going about five miles came to Jones'. Mother had given up all hope of seeing him again alive, for it had been a cold, rainy week, and if he had escaped the wolves must have perished with cold and hunger. Pa-ma-sonc took the dog on his pony and left us. This same night my uncle, Stephen Hickox, came, being the fourth family in Jonesville.
"Father sold his cattle to a man in Saline; took his money to pay for land, and found it all counterfeit. A struggle ensued to get his cattle again. As he got money the second time to start for the land-office, a certain man informed him that the home he had started was his and he should take possession in two weeks. In March, 1831, my father and uncle bought their laud two miles west of Jonesville. built houses and moved in, using blankets for doors and windows until crops were put in. Wolves were very troublesome here, attacking the swine in their pens. Our house was completed as soon as possible,—'shake' roof, mudded sides, puncheon floor, and stone chimney. Despite all drawbacks we were a huppy family.
" News came that the Indians were coming cast and killing the whites as they came. Mother became very timid. Father said if the danger became great he would bury the goods and go back to Detroit; but the war ended and we did not leave.
" In 1833 father built a barn, made many improvements, and in August refused $3000 for his farm, when lo! Death enters and takes from him his loving wife and our mother. Our family circle was broken, one going here and another there. I was about thirteen then. I clothed and educated myself from that time. I taught the first school in Basswood, the second in what was then called the Mickle neighborhood. In 1840 was married, which event closed my separate record.
John Sinclair, a native of Glasgow, Scotland, settled in Jonesville in September, 1836. Until 1843 he followed the business of Cabinet-making, then for twenty years conducted a farm ; was subsequently a merchant. The following article from his pen is recorded in the archives of the Pioneer Society:
" Becoming a resident of Jonesville in 1836, I had an opportunity of witnessing emigration as it poured into aud through our county, the Chicago turnpike being the only thoroughfare at that time. Along this road came the emigration that settled some of the counties of Northern Indiana, turning southward at AllenV Prairie and other points; a line of wagons almost continuous passing through the village daily. This was then the county-seal,—county jail occupying the public square north side of Chicago mad. A grist-mill had been erected the year before (1835*). An Indian trail up the valley of the St. Joseph, branching towards Baw Beese and Sand Lakes, was the only road south to Jonesville. The first saw-mills were built—one a mile and a half up-stream from Jonesville, and run by the late Jaduthan Lockwood ; the other, still a mile above, by James Olds and others.
" In the spring of 1837 flour sold at $9 per 100 pounds; oats as high as $2.50; corn was scarce, a frost the previous summer, on August 27, killing most of it. Flour, pork, butter, cheese, dried apples, in fact, most of the necessaries of life, were imported from Ohio.
" In a few years improvements were so rapid, and no outlet for surplus produce, wheat sold for 35 cents per bushel; pork and beef, $2 and 82.50 per hundred, in goods or store pay—could not get salt for it; oats, 10 cents, and corn, 20 cents per bushel; butter, if very good, brought 5 cents in 1843.
" The embryo city of Hillsdale was located near where the county fair-grounds now are. A saw-mill had been erected by Messrs. Cook & Ferris and I remember of attending celebration of the glorious 4th of July there amongst the oak-grubs. The matter of the removal of the county-seat from Jonesville to Hillsdale was before the Legislature at Detroit. A committee from Jonesville urged the unfitness of the location, it being, as they said, in a swamp; but they were met by our representative, B. B. Willett, who arose in his place aud said that Hillsdale was not iu a swamp at all, but situated in a beautiful oakgrove, with a sand and gravel soil. At the next town-meet- ing William T. Howell was elected Justice of the Peace to 'mete justice to them.
" In 1840 the old Indian chief. Baw Besse, with the remnant of his tribe, was called upon to depart and leave their hunting-grounds and the graves of their fathers, and take up their abode in a distant country. As they passed through Jonesville, escorted by a few United States soldiers, they looked sad and dejected. This was on a beautiful Sabbath morning, aud it was sad to reflect upon the necessity of such a measure- in the interests of civilization." Hon. Henry Packer, now a resident of Jonesville, emigrated hero from the State of Connecticut, arriving in May, 1835, and purchasing a farm on the Adrian road, a mile east of the village. He returned to Connecticut, and the following September brought his family back with him. One Thomas French had built a log house on the place the previous year. In the spring of 1840 Mr. Packer moved into Litchfield, where he resided until the spring of 1864, when he returned to Jonesville, and has since made it bis home. When he first came to this village the only frame buildings in it were the stores of Charles Gregory and Cook & Ferris, and the frame part of the " Fayette House." Mr. Packer has held the principal offices in the gift of his townsmen,—highway commissioner, justice of the peace, and supervisor,—and in 1844 represented his district in the Stale Legislature. He was afterward judge of the Probate Court of Hillsdale County. While justice of the peace, soon after his arrival here, he was called upon to issue a warrant for a fugitive slave from Kentucky. When the negro was brought into court and the case was about to proceed, W. W. Murphy, then practicing law hero, spoke to Mr. Packer, and the latter decided that iu order to recover the negro bis alleged owners must bring satisfactory proof that Kentucky was a slave State. It was necessary for the prosecution to go to I>etroit to decide the matter, and failing in finding sufficient evidence the man was discharged ! A similar case was not long afterwards brought up in Philadelphia. Pa., and the decision of Mr. Packer, " of Jonesville, Mich.," was there cited, uud the same decision rendered iu (hat instance also. It was a mere matter of form, but it was enough to secure the negro's freedom, to the undoubted chagrin of his owners.
In 1850, Mr. Packer and a few friends organized the first agricultural society in the county, naming it the " Hillsdale Agricultural Society." Mr. Packer was elected President, and Isaiah McCollum, Secretary. This was the starting-point of the present flourishing society, and the organization had an existence of several years.
Judge Packers father-in-law, Amauiah Wright, from Colchester, Conn., settled in Jonesville in 1837. His old log house was standing until within recent years, occupying a position a short distance north of the present residence of the judge.
The first permancut merchants in Jonesvillo were Messrs. Cook & Ferris, wno established themselves in business here in 1834.- Chauncey W. Ferris, of this firm, a native of Cuto, Cayuga Co., N. Y., settled in Jonesville in May, 1834. His partner, John P. Cook, removed to Hillsdale in 1830, and, in company with Mr. Ferris, built a flouring- mill in 1837. He became quite prominent in that place, and was a large contractor during the construction of the Michigan Southern Railway. He has also been largely interested in banking, mercantile, and lumber business: was the first treasurer of Hillsdale County; postmaster of Hillsdale in 1838. and lias represented bis district in the Senate and House.
Following these gentlemen in the trade at Jonesville were Messrs. Delavan V. Attwater, and Charles Gregory, as early as 1835-30.
Gen. George C. Muuro came to Jonesville Aug. 20, 1834, from Elbridge, Onondaga Co., N. Y., and engaged in trade with the Indians, which he continued until their removal in 1840. Until 1862 he remained in the mercantile business, and was also manager of a farm and a gristmill. Soon after his arrival here he was commissioned colonel of militia, and afterwards brigadier-general, the title still clinging to him. He had begun as fourth corporal while living in the State of New York, and worked his way upward through the various military grades. The first and only military muster ever held at Jonesville was about 1837-38, when the companies belonging to the county assembled here, numbering some five or six hundred men. Gen. Brown was here, and Mr. Muuro had the honor of forming the motley crowd in order to receive the general and his stall, although he was then not connected with the militia. Maj. Aiken and the other officers of the " barefoot companies" were ignorant of all tactics, and but for the aid of our well-trained New Yorker, the body would have made a sorry show. Mr. Muuro soon after this received from Gen. Brown a colonel's commission, which was in a short time followed by that of a brigadier-general. Previous to the rebellion, an independent company was organized here, and in his honor named the "Munro Guards." Many of them volunteered during the war. Gen. Mumro has always been prominent and active in business, and bus held numerous civil offices. Aided in organizing the County and State Agricultural Societies; also in forming the first union school in the State, the building for the use of which he erected in 1847. This was a brick structure, which occupied the site of the present elegant building. He was eighteen years a member of the School Board, and was the first president of the village after its incorporation, in 1855.
D. A. Winner, now of Jonesville, came with his brother, Calvin Winner, to Moscow township from Livingston Co., N. Y., and settled in 1836 about two miles south of the present village of Moscow. In 1839, another brother, Horace, settled in the same town. Calvin Winner is since deceased. D. A. Winner moved out of Moscow aud resided one year at North Adams, coming from there to Jonesville, at which latter place he has been engaged in mercantile pursuits for 14 years. A fourth brother, A. H. Winner, is also in business in Jonesville, having located here while the others were living on their form in Moscow. The father of these gentlemen, Daniel Winner, removed about 1821-22 from Cayuga Co., N. Y., to Livingston, with probably four children. Some years after his sons came to Moscow he followed them, and died in that town. A man named Taylor, who came to the region in 1829, lived a short distance southwest of the village of Jonesville, near a large spring. William N. Guy and Maj. Daniel Aiken occupied the place at different periods afterwards. Aiken was previously a resident of Moscow.
When Benaiah Jones settled here he brought with him a small iron mill, about two feet across, in which he ground his grain until the Sibley grist-mill was built in 1831. Aside from the "stump-mortar'" in Allen, it was the first mill for grinding in the county.
Allen Purdy, from Allegany Co., N. Y., cmae to Michigan in April, 1835, aud located in the township of Butler, Branch Co. That winter the Indian chief, Baw Beese, with a portion of his tribe, encamped within a quarter of a mile of Mr. Purdy's cabin. The latter gentleman moved into Litchfield about 1818, and to Jonesville in 1853, spending the remainder of his days in this village. He was a very strong man, physically, and his wonderful feats in lifting and handling heavy articles were surprising. Some of tho family yet reside in Butler, and a daughter, now Mrs. A. K. Itahcock, has her home in Jonesville.
Hon. Levi Baxter, father of Hon. Witter J. Baxter and Gen. Henry Baxter, was a native of East Windsor, Conn., and a son of a captain in the Revolutionary army, also named Levi Buster. When be was a boy bis father removed to Delhi, Delaware Co., N. ST., and in 1803 to Sidney Plains, in the same county, on the Susquehanna River. Hon. Levi Baxter removed to Tecumsch, Lenawee Co., Mich., where he built the "Red Mills," famous in the early history of this region, and to which customers came from distances of 20, 40, and even 50 miles. While a resident of Tccumsch, he was appointed by Geo. Cass, then Territorial Governor, as chief-justice of the court for the county of Lenawee. The mill erected at Jonesville, in 1834, by Mr. Baxter and Cook Sisson, was the first one in this portion of the State west of Tecumseb. In 1830, Mr. Baxter removed to While Pigeon, and built extensive mills at that place. In 1840, while building a large addition to his mill at Jonesville, he bad one of his limits severely crushed and broken by the fall of a heavy timber, aud from that injury he never fully recovered. In 1848 lie removed again to Jonesville, aud was the same year nominated and elected Stale Senator from his district, then including the counties of Monroe, Lenawee. Hillsdale, and Brunch. Through Mr. Baxter's efforts, the village of Jonesville was made a poiut on the extended route of the Lake Shore and Michigan Railway, that road having long terminated at Hillsdale, he died in 1862.
Gen. Henry Baxter, who died Dec. 30, 1873, was one of the citizens of Jonesville who became prominent in the history of the country, aud was the third son of Judge Levi Baxter, In 1819 he commanded a company of emigrants from this vicinity, who crossed the plains to California. He returned after a lew yoars, and in 1861 enlisted,and was chosen captain of Company C, 7th Michigan Infantry. For his bravery he was rapidly promoted until he reached the rank of brevet major-general. He was several times wounded while in the service, twice supposed fatally. After the war he returned to Jonesville, and in 1866 was elected register of deeds of IlilUdale County. In 1869 he was appointed, by President Grant, Coiled Slates Minister resident at Honduras, holding that position until the Central American republics were consolidated, when the office was no lpnger necessary. He relumed again to Jonesville, and engaged in the lumber business, but died before he had become fairly established, at tho age of filly-two years. He was a general favorite with the citizens, and had the faculty of making himself dear to all his acquaintances, either in civil, military, or private life.
Miles St. John, from Onondaga Co., N. Y. (a native of Chenaugo County), came to Jonesville, in August, 1836, then a young roan of seventeen, and this place has been his home ever since, although fur twelve years he was must of the time in Dubuque, Iowa. On his first arrival in Jonesville, he entered as clerk in the store of Monre & Gardner, afterwards E.P. Champlin & Co., and others. Learned the bookbinder's trade in Landing, and at present owns an establishment for carrying on that business in the village.
Gen. George Monro, previously mentioned, built the first brick house erected in the county of Hillsdale. The bricks used in its construction were burned in the fall of 1840, by Hon. Lyman Blackmor of Moscow, the clay having been dug from his cellar. Mr. Munru purchased the kiln and built his house, and in 1842 Mr. Blackmar put up the second brick residence in tbe county, on his place in Moscow. Mr. Munro's house was, at the time it was built, the finest in the village.
Lewis Wales, from the town of Widdington, Sr. Lawrence Co., N. Y., settled in Jonesville in 1839, and was prominently connected with the early history of the place.
Reuben M. Gridley come to Jonesville in 1838. He was a printer by trade, having learned tbe business in Syracuse. N. Y. He was, for a time, compositor on the Hillsdale Gazette , and afterwards, for three or four years, manager and publisher of the Jonesville Telegraph. He died at the latter village, May 7, I876.
I. B. Taylor spent his first night in Joncesville, Dec. 31, 1835,and was roused from his bed by the "boys" to aid in the festivities attendant upon the occasion of welcoming the new year into existence. Gen. George C. Monro was the spokesman of the occasion and general master of ceremonies." Mr. Taylor, upon bis arrival here, took charge of the old "Sibley Mills." and another at this place. The former has since decayed and fallen.
Rockwell Manning, who was postmaster herein 1838-39, was also for some time landlord of the old " Fayette House" and afterwards of the " Hillsdale House" at Hillsdale. He was one of the original proprietors of the latter village, and the first station agent at that place upon the completion of what is now the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway. One of the streets in Hillsdale was named after him. In 1851 he removed to California, and died at Stockton, in that State, Jan. 1, 1871, at the age of eighty years.
John J. Gardner, who died May 30, 1872, came to Jonesvillo, May 9, l837, and continued to reside here until his death, a period of thirty-five years. He built the well- known "Genesee Mills" on the St. Joseph River, on the edge of Scipio township, north of Jonesville, and owned them about twenty years. At the time of his death he was sixty-nine years of age.
Jesse Button, a native of Connecticut, and afterwards a resident of Livingston Co., N. Y., settled in Tecumsoeh, Mich., in 1830, and in 1835 removed to Jonesville, where he resided until his death, which occurred Aug. 17, 1868, ¦ when he had reached tee age of seventy-seven years. About 1843 he began keeping hotel, and continued in that business for many years. The building he had occupied was burned in the fire of Jan. 3, 1869, and was then owned aud occupied by B. C. Benson, who afterwards built the " Benson House'," now known as the " Mother House." Mr. Button's son, James W. Button, is engaged in the merecantile business in Joncsville, and the only one of the family at present residing here.
Aruna Hansford, from Km- Co.. N. Y.. settled in 1844.
Abrum Couzzens settled in 1835.
Syley Blatchley settled here in 1836 and continued a resident until his death in March, 1870.
Luther L. Tucker. a native of Windsor, Berkshire Co.. Mass.. settled in Jonesville, Oct. 25, 1836. Until 1858 his occupation was that of a carpenter aud joiner, but be has since followed farming, and attending to his duties as justice of the peace.
Horace R. Gardner, a native of Auburn, Cayuga Co., N. Y., settled in the township of Fayette, May 9, 1837; worked in woolen-factory and flouring-mills; at present resides in Jonesville.
Cornelius L. Travis, a native of Carniel, Dutchess Co., N. Y., located in this township in October, 1836. He followed farming, carpentering, teaching school, etc., and has held the offices of justice of the justice and collector.
Charles H. and Oscar F. Guy, natives of Nunda, Allegany Co., N. Y.. settled in Fayette in Juue 1836. The former is a blacksmith by trade, and was only fourteen years of age when be came to the county.
Henry and Furman Huff, from HunterdonCo, N. J., located here June 1, 1835. The latter removed to Adams township in 1836
Horiato W. Bates, a native of Perry, Lake Co. settled in Fayette, Feb. 18, 1835. Christmas, 1839, ho played a violin at tbe first dance held in Reading, and on the 4th of July, 1840. played for tbe first dance at Hillsdale, the hotel of A. Howder being the place when- the festivities were held. He says that during the years 1835 and 1836 he caught 27 wolves.
Albert J. Raker, of Richfield, Otsego Co., N. Y., settled in Fayette in June, 1843. Has been a blacksmith, farmer, and dealer in agricultural implements.
Isaac C. Gaige, a native of Solon, N. Y., settled in 1835. John W. Sampson, from Lyons, Wayne Co., N. Y., settled in September, 1845.
Samuel Lovejoy, from the State of New York, settled in Oakland Co., Mich., in 1835, and in 1848 removed to Fayette Is at present a merchant in Litchfield.
Abner W. Pierce, from Litchfield Co., Conn., settled in 1844.
William S. Hosmer, from Orleans Co., Vt, settled in June, 1814.
Chauncy Slimson, a native of Madison Co., N. Y., and by trade a carpenter,—also a farmer, settled October, 1837. He was present at the first death in Hillsdale, and built the first house east of the St. Joseph River in that village. Samuel Morgan, from Albany. N. Y., settled in May, 1844.
Frederick M. Holloway, a native of Bristol, Ontario Co.,
N. Y. and afterwards residing with his parents in Genesee County, preceded the family to the West in 1833, when eighteen years of age, and located land for them in Sylvania township, Lucas Co. Ohio, ten miles north west of Toledo, in the disputed territory claimed hoth by Ohio and Michigan. During the memorable "State Line War," he took an active part, and was very near being captured by General Brown, now of Toledo. Mr. Holloway was married in February, 1837 and in the spring he removed to Tecumsch, Lenawee Co., Mich. He bad previously learned the carpenter's trade, and built numerous dwellings for parties living in and about Sylvania. and near Toledo. In l840, Hon. Levi Baxter built a large addition to his mill at Jonesville, it being the main part of the present structure, and Mr. Holloway removed here and aided in its constrution. The old mill had for sometime been managed by Henry L. Hewitt recently deceased at Hillsdale, and he had begun the now building. Mr. Baxter finishing it.
Mr. Holloway continued to reside in Jonesville until January, 1831 when he removed to Hillsdale, having been elected the previous fall to the office of register of deeds. In 1853 he was chosen supervisor of the then township of Fayette, which included the present township and city of Hilldale, and was the same year appointed postmaster at the latter plow, holding the office until October, 1861. Duriug that time he established the first important insurance agency at Hillsdale, representing all the reliable companies, and was afterwards Slate agent of the Etna of Hartford, Conn. He has twice (in 1875 and 1977) been a candidaee on the Democratic ticket for auditor general of the State, and although, through tbe hopeless minority of his party was defeated, yet in the second canvass be reduced his personal majority about 13,000 below that of the regular ticket, and needed about the same number to entitle him to the office. In his own county. Mr. Holloway is a man of great popularity. Agricultural matters have long received his earnest attention, and he has for twenty five sucessive years been chosen secretary of the County Agricultural Society, which has been built up and sustained mainly through his efforts. He is at present quite extensively engaged in raising improved stock. He is chairman of thee executive committee of the State Grange, an office only second to that of Master, and has also been active in the proceedings of local organizations of his order. He has been mainly instrumental in organizing and maintaining the Hillsdale County Pioneer Society," of which he is the historian. Religious institutions have always received from hint a generous support, and very few have contributed mora towards building up and sustaining tbo church than ee. He was among the original members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Jonesville, and also of the one at Hillsdale, with which latter be continues his membership. He has resided on his present farm (section 9 and 10), Fayette Township-since April 186l.
FIRST MERCHANT IN JONESVILLE
George C. Munro arrived in Jonesville, in August 1831, only about an hour ahead of Charles Gregory. On the southeast corner of Chicago and West Streets was an unfinished frame building, erected that season by Artemedorus Tuller. Mr. Gregory obtained the right to use a large room in the northeast corner, on the lower floor, and immediately started to New York City for a stock of goods. Messr. Coor & Ferris soon began framing a small building on the north side of Chicago Street, on the same ground now occupied by the east and of the brick block extending from West Street, built in 1849. This building was about 16 x 30 feet. As Cook & Ferris obtained part of their goods in Detroit, it is possible they were ready for business a few days before Mr. Gregory, but Mr. Munro thinks not. When he arrived in August, he says, Mr. Cook was not here, and Mr. Ferris was then working at the "Fayette House".
Immediately west of Cook & Ferris store Mr. Munro erected another building for like purposes in 1836. Gregory had during the previous winter (1835-36) moved into his new building, still standing, on the corner west from his first location. Mr. Munro sold his old store to Sebastian Adams, and in 1837/38 put up a two and a half story building on the northeast corner of the same streets; this had two storerooms on the ground floor, the second story being occupied by a milliner's shop, a tailor-shop, a physicians office (Dr. Stillwell) and Mr. Munro's own room. The lodge of Odd Fellows when orgainzed, occupied the third floor; as did also the Masons, changes having been made to accomodate them. In January, 1849, fire caught in the Masonic lodge, which was in the west end of the building, and despite all eforts to save it, the greedy flames licked it out of existence in a short space of time, and the old corner knew it no more. Mr. Munro had previously, about 1838-39, sold half of the building to Rockwell Manning, and it was known as the "Munro and Manning" block. In it was publishedthe Hillsdale County Gazette, the first newspaper in the county.
Mr munroe disposed of his interest int he property and scarcely had the ashes been given time to cool before material was on hand, and a new and, for those days, elegant brick block begun. This was built by E.P. Champlain as superintendent with F.M. Holloway as chief carpenter, and Israel Stites chief mason, for a company of five persons, consisting of E.O. Grosvenor, R.S. Varnum, Sanford R. Smith, Lewis Smith and William H. Tuller, who paid at a certain rate per front foot for the property. This building is yet in use, occupying 100 feet front on Chicago Street, and until recent years was the finest and most important business block in the place. It is two stories in heights, and by arrangements when built the halls on the second floor are free for the use of all members of the company, although no one has the right to block them up. Upon this floor are principally office - rooms, among which are those of Hon. W.J. Baxter, S.D. McNeal and George C. Munro.
This is one of the historic corners of the village. On the site of this building was erected the first storehouse; here was published the first newspaper; here was located one of the first physician; here the Odd-Fellows and Masonic lodges sprang into existence; here was the first disastrous fie in the village; and the memories of by-gone days cling lovingly around the spot, while one of the rooms is yet occupied by the man who built he first substantial edifice on the site, -- George C. Munro.
THE JONESVILLE POST OFFICE
Established early in 1839, with Beniah Jones Jr. as first postmaster. Mail was brought from Detroit via Ypsilanti and Clinton, the route extending westward to Chicago over the well-traveled "Chicago turnpike." Mr. Jones held the office about four years, and was succeeded by James Olds. Rockwell Manning was the third incumbent, and among his successors have been Elisha P. Champlin, Charles Gregory, Sherburn Gage, R.S. Varnum, J.M. Gardner, C.L> Spaulding and the present occupant, R.A. Sinclair. When James Olds held the office hisson Harley was employed as clerk and handled daily nearly the entire mail for the whole route, which was little more than the mail for a single day at the one office at present. Aside from the route over the Chicago road, Jonesville had three mail-routes in 1838, viz.:
Maumee and Jonesville, via Whiteford, Baker's Unionville, Cauandaigua, and Lanesville post-office; distance 75 miles; mail forwarding and returned once a week.
Jonesville and Marshall, via Homer and Exkford; distance, 29 miles; mail forwarded and returned once a week.
Adrian and Jonesville, via Rollin and Adams; distance, 35 miles; mail forwarded and returned once a week.
LAWYERS OF JONESVILLE
The bar of Jonesville has from first to last contained many men of marked ability, a number of whom have been honored with the gifts of the people, in the shape of seats in the legislative halls of the State and positions in the service of the nation; and have also won distinction in the various courts.
The first lawyer who located in Jonesville is said to have been George C. Gibbs, who never practiced much, and finally went to California. Following him came Salem Town King, from the State of New York, who first settled in Adrian, and about 1836-37 removed to Jonesville. He was elected the second register of deeds for Hillsdale County, succeeding James Olds. In 1839 he entered into partnership with John T. Blois. He was considerable interested in land speculation in the vicinity of Hillsdale and died in 1842.
William T. Howell came in at nearly the same time with King - possibly earlier.
Hon. W.W. Murphy, who came to Monroe Mich in 1835, was from the town of Ovid, Senecca Co., N.Y. and upon locating at Monroe entered the United States landoffice at the place as clerk. While residing there he began the study of law, and in the fall of 1837 removed to Jonesville. Here he formed a partnership with William T. Howell, and opened the first law-office in Hillsdale County in 1838. He practiced here until 1861 - from 1848 being associated with Hon. W.J. Baxter, and continuing the land-agency. In 1861 he was appointed by President Lincoln to the postition of consul-general at Frankfort on the Main and held it nine years. In 1844 he held a seat in the Michigan Legislature and had previosly been prosecuting attorney. The second law-office in the village was opened by the firm of Kind & Blois in the year 1839. Mr. King has been mentioned. John T. Blois camehere from Detroit in APril, 1839. He had previously taught school in that city and in 1838 purlished a Gazetteer of the State, just previous to the publication of Lanman's history. Mr. Blois was originally from Connecticut, and was afterwards a resident of Putname, Ohio, from which place he came to Michigan in 1835. He left Connecticut in 1833, and moved to South Carolina, in the hope of benefiting his health. Thence he went to Tennessee, and from there to Ohio, and finally the "Peninsular State" claimed him and here has been his home from that time. In the fall of 1840 he was elected to the the office of register of deeds for Hillsdale County, - the third in that capacity. He entered upon the duties of his office Jan. 1, 1841, and remained two years. Was circuit court commissioner for eight years, beginning in 1865. Has for seventeen years been a justice of the peace; elected first in 1840 and serving till 1844, and again in 1865, still continuing in office. During his residence in Jonesville he has for some time been engaged in the nursery business, but finally relinquished it on account of ill health.
Z.M.P. Spaulding, an early lawyer of the place, settled here about 1838, and is now in Missouri. Other early ones were Wolcott G. Branch, James K. Kinman (the latter also prominently i dentified with the press), I.A. Holbrook , now of Hastings, and othes. Subsequently the following have practiced here to greater or less extent: Nathaniel T. Howe, a partner with W.W. Murphy, whose interest was pruchased by W.J. Baxter, Feb. 1, 1848, and who is now probably living in Southern Texas, as Land Commissioner of the Southern Pacific Railway; John Manross, since decreased; Charles M. Wisner, J.C. Wyllis -- Townsend, T.R. Boynton, Luther Hanchett, since a member of Congress from Wisconsin; N.J. Richards, L.N. Hartwick, William N. Hazen, A.H. Nelson, now of Hart Mills; and Sidney B. Vrooman. Of these Messrs. Wisner, Wyllis, Boynton, Hanchett, Richards, Hazen, and Vrooman studied in the office of the Murphy & Baxter.
The attorneys of Jonesville at present are John T. Blois, W.J. Baxter, S.D. McNeal, and DeWitt C. Merriam.
Andrew P. H ogarth settled, about 1835-36 in Adrain, Lenawee Co., where he worked at his trae, - that of a tailor. About 1838-39 he remove dto Jonesville, where he continued in the same business. He was finally made a justice of the peace, and after some study, admitted to the bar. As a lawyer, he did not rank among the foremost, and gave his attention principally to other matters. During the war he was actively engaged in securing bounties and pensions for soldiers, and was eminently successful. Personally, he was much respected. He died in 1872.
This list of the lawyers of Jonesville is believed to be nearly complete, although, as it has been necessary to rely principally on the memory of the older citizens, it is possible that one or two may be omitted. Thos who are here mentioned number over 20 and so far as recollected, are all who have practiced here.
Hon. Witter J. Baxter, M.A. is a native of Sidney, Delaware Co NY where he was born in 1816. In 1831 he came, with his father, Hon. Levi Baxter, to Tecumseh MI. In 1836 he began teaching school, being afterwards engaged in the different branches of the Michigan University, and for one year at Ontario La Grange Co., IN. He began reading law in Detroit in 1841, in the office of Barstow & Lockwood and continued with Zaphanish Platt, then attorney-general fo the State. He was admitted to the bar in 1844, and formed a partnership with Andrew Harvie, of Detroit, with whom he remained until 1848, when he removed to Jonesville, and entered into partnership with Hon. W.W. Murphy. This partnership was continued until 1874, when it was dissolved, and Mr. Baxter has since practiced alone. He has been for 26 years a member of the school board, an dfor a long period has held a position in the State Board of Education. He has also been prominently connected with the State Agricultural Society, and a member of the banking firm of E.O. Grosvenor & Co. at Jonesville, since its organization. In 1876 he was elected a member of the State Senate, to serve two yoears from Jan. 1, 1877. He has been promintly identified with school and church matters, the Odd Fellows and Masonic Orders, and the State and County Pioneer Societies, being presidenty of each of the latter at the present time. He has, probably, the best private library in Western Michigan, containing about 4000 volumes, and one of the finest law libraried in the State.
S.D. McNeal, now practicing law in Jonesville, is a son of William McNeal, who came from Orleans Co., N.Y. in 1835 and settled in the township of Jeffersons where they son was born, Feb. 11, 1838. He has grown u p with the country - and occupied a leading position among the lawyers of the county. He is also engaged in the real estae and insurance business.
Two young men named Mottram and Chase arrive dearly in Jonesville, both physicians. The former located first. Both taught schoo, but neither practiced medicine to any extent.
The first to settle here permantly was Dr. Brooks Bowman, who came in 1834, and worked up a very large practice. Dr. Chase removed from here to Coldwater, Branch Co.
Those who settled later were Drs. Broacway, Daniel Stillwell, Stillman Ralph and - Manning. The senior Dr. Delavan was also here early and his son practiced in later years.
Dr. L.A. Brewer studied medicine with Dr. Ralph, and began his practice here. He afterwards removed to Grand Rapids, thence to Toledo. Upon the breaking out of the famour California "gold fever," he was one of the first emigrants to take his departure for the new El Dorado. During the Rebellion he served as surgeon in the Union army, and after the war located a Hillsdale, Mich., where he died, June 29, 1876. He had also been physician at the Spotted Tail Indian agency while E.A. Howard was Indian agent. He had originally settled at Grass Lake, Jackson Co., in 1835 and came to Jonesville in 1844. He was a native of Canaudaigua, Ontario Co., N.Y.
The following are the present physicians of the village.
The oldest in practice is Dr. William B. Hawkins, and is folowed by Dr. L.R. Wisner. Kr. Gilbert Chaddock and Dr. H.M. Warren (the latter a homeoepathist) have been here about the same length of time. The youngest in practice, but like the others a credit to his profession, is Dr. G. G. Williams. Dr. Brown, deceased was an eelectic physician, and his place is filled by his widow, who studied with him.
Benaiah Jones, Jr. has been mentioned as having built and kept the first hotel in Jonesville. His old log house first served the purpose and the "Fayette House" built afterwards (1831-32_, was the first hotel proper in the place. This latter was destroyed by fire in the summer of 1842. Subsequently the house diagonally opposite, built by Artemedorus Tuller and afterwards occupied by Dr. Tompkins C. Delavan, was purchased by Henry A. Delavan, then a merchant here, an additional built to it by him, and a hotel opened in it under the old name, "Fayette House," It passed afterwards into the hands of Marvin Strong, who changed the name to the "Waverley House." This hotel was burned in December 1875 (?).
St. Charles Hotel, known also as the Jonesville House. The first building on the lot occupied by this hotel, in the block east of the Episcopal church and south of Chicago Street, was 16 by 24 feet in dimensions, and was built in 1836 by Monroe and Gardner. They had purchased anothers man's right to the lot, and in order to hold it were to put up a building within thirty days. The day before the time was out the house was completed. In the spring of 1837 this was purchased by Nicholas Van Alstine, who moved it farther back and built a large addition to it in front, reaching to the street. This he opened as a hotel. Samuel Smith, familiarly known as "Fatty Smith," kept it afterwards and previously Simon Gay had been its landlord entering probably about 1839. Numerous others were subsequently its proprietors. A dance was held in it in 1840, at which John Hull, afterward sheriff of St. Joseph County, furnished the music.
The present Mosher House was built in 1870 by B.C. Benson and opened December 26 of that year, under the name of the Benson House, by which it was known for several years. It is a large, three story brick building, and is the popular resort of the traveling public. Its first (and present) propietor was Dr. G.W. Mosher.
The other hotels of the place are the Cottage Hotel, on West Street, opposite the woolen-factory and the Lake Shore House near the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern depot.
JONESVILLE IN 1839
From the first issue of the Hillsdale County Gazette, dated April 13, 1839, we make the following notes and extracts. The paper was issued in the form of a five-column folio, with the apology on the third page for its diminutive proportions, and an explanation made accountin g for the small size in the fact that the proprietors were disapointed in procuring necessary paper, and promised to improve the next week in both size andappearsnce. The subscription prices were: "To village subscribers, who hae their papers left at their doors, $2.50 per annum in advance; $3 if paid within six months, or $3.50 at the end of the year. To mail subscribers and those who call at the office for their papers, 50 cents will be deducted."
Among the advertisers were the following attorneys: Salem T. King, district attorney; Howell & Murphy, office in Manning & Numro's new building; John Manross, office on Maumee Street.
Other advertisers were Stillwell & Brockway, physicians and surgeons, opposite Public Square; T.C. Delavan, physicians and surgeons, Chricago Street; John Jermain, land agent Chicago Street; W.W. Murphy, Land-agent; Theodore Manning, agent "Kalamazoo Mutual Fire Insurance Company," office No. 2 Manning & Munro's block; Fayette House, Rockwell Manning proprietor, Chicago Street; Jonesville House, N. Van Alstine proprietor, Chicago Street. Seasoned lumber for sale by S.R. Smith. King & Rose advertised to sell dry-goods, groceries, hardware, crockery, boots, shoes, etc., at "extremely low prices, for the ready." James Delavan offered a farm of 240 acres for sale, one and a half miles southeast of Jonesville, having $170 acres well fenced, with several cross-fences; two log houses, thirty-six acres ploughed, ten acres now sowed with wheat, twenty-five acres more cleared, ready for th eplough; and an excellent mowing marsh of abut ten acres."
Messrs. Saltmarsh, Gillis & Co., proprietors of the Marshall and Jonesville State, advertised, through their agent, Samuel Curtis, to make three trips weekly from Marshall to Jonesville - Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays - arriving at the latter place in time to connect with the stag east of Ypsilanti, from whence cars could be taken to Detroit, or at Adrian with cars for Toledo, arriving at either Detroit or Toledo the next day after leaving Marshall. Returning from Jonesville, the stage departed for Marshall on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, upon the arrival of the stages from Ypsilanti, Adrian and Tecumsch.
Julius R. Howell advertised himself as a mill-builder being "prepared to build grist-and mercant-mills on the most improved plans, having with him a select set of hands, Mill-Sites levelled, and drafts and bills furnished. All kinds of iron boring, turning, gear-and screw cutting done. Patterns made to order."
S.R. Smith advertised his remaining stock of broadcloths, cassimeres, satinets, moleskins, superior cotton, worsted, and silk vesting, calicoes, shawls, fancy handkerchiefs, bonnet-trimmings, laces, gloves, hosiery, boots and shoes, hardware and groceries, for sale cheap for cash. Also had on hand and for sale pork, lard and hams.
John Sinclair was proprrietor of a chair and cabinet manufactory. Taylor & Smith dealt in agricultural implements. And James K. Kinman was a justice of the peace, with his office at the corner of Chicago and West Streets.
W.W. Murphy advertised 12,000 acres of land for sale in Jackson, Hillsdale, and Lenawee Counties.
This first number of the Gazette also contained the set providing for the removal of the county-seat from Jonesville to Hillsdale, passed March 30, 1839 and to take effect Jan. 1, 1841.
NEWSPAPERS IN JONESVILLE
To Jonesville in ascribed the honor of having been the home of the pioneer newspaper of the county, the sheet from which the foregoing advertisements, etc., having been taken, and which was called the Hillsdale County Gazette. C.G. McKay was the publisher, and James K. Kinman editor and proprietor. It was started as an independent paper, politically, although its publishers were Democrats.
When it was definitely settled that JOnesville should have a paper, it was found necessary to procure a printing-press. Therefore, about the month of March 1839, W.W. Murphy went to the village of Branch, then the seat of Justice for Branch County, and purchased of the executors of the estate of Levi Collier, deceased, a press which had been in use in that place. The people of Branch County were exceedingly loath to have it taken away, and forthwith obtained an attachment against the said Levi Collier, deceased, swearing that he had "absonded from the county to the injury of his creditors." The press was taken from Mr. Murphy, although Collier had been dead several months; but the gentleman from Jonesville did not proposed to be used in any such manner, and journeyed eighteen miles after a coroner to serve a writ of replevin on the sheriff, - the attachment being of course null and void, --- and thereupon a settlement was proposed, which ended by Mr. Murphy triumphantly bearing away the press, while the citizens of Branch "sat down and wept." This was the first printing-press brought into Hillsdale County, and upon it the first issue of the Gazette was printed, APril 13, 1839. The office, at first in the Munro & Manning block, was afterwards moved to the Gregory store building, on the southwest corner of the same streets. It was finally taken to H illsdale, where its publication was continued.
The Jonesville Expositor. -- On the 15th day of October, 1840 the Hillsdale County Whig Association" was formed for the purpose of establishing and publishing a Whig newspaper -- the first in the county, -- bearing the above title. The shares of stock were ten dollars cash. Of this association Elisha P. Champlin was President; John T. Blois, Secretary; and Henry L. Hewitt, Sanford R. Smith and Henry A. Delavan, Directors.
"On motion, John J.B. Spooner was appointed agent of the association to procure subscriptions to the Jonesville Expositor, and also fiscal agent of the paper. It was voted that this association rent a building in the rear of Jason Cowles' store, belonging to H.L. Hewitt, at $50 a year for a printing office when the same is properly finished and prepared for the purpose by said Hewitt.
"The president and secretary executed and delivered certificates of stock to the followin gpersons:
" To H.L Hewitt, 10 shares; John T. Blois 4 shares; E.P. Champlin 5 shares; Smith & Champlin 5 shares; David Smith 5 shares; Henry A. Delavan 5 shares; Alfred Hopkins 5 shares.".
The following are the remaining stockholders, with shares given:
A.D. Wells, 2; Jed. Wood, 2; John Mickle,2; John Jermain,5; R.& T. Boss, 2; L.G. Rogers,2; H.W.Luce, 2; Romeo Dorwin,2; George W. Abbott, 2; John G. Gardner,2; Henry Waldron,2; Thomas W. Stockton,2; Henry Fowler,1; Harvey Eggleston,2; Ramson Gardner,2; Jason Cowles,1; J.L. Smith,5; Hezekiah Morris,2; Charles Powell,5.
On the 2d of December 1840 the material formerly belonging to the Harrisonian printing office at Tecumseh, was purchased by Henry L. Hewitt, for the sum of $800.
The articles of agreement governing the association were nineteen in number, and were entered into Nov. 7, 1840. At a meeting of the directors held Jan.20, 1842 it was "voted, that H.L. Hewitt and Charles Powell be and are hereby authorized to settle with John Jermain and receive from him the printing-press and materials, and take charge of the same, and make sure disposition of said establishment as in their judgment they may deem expedient for the benefit of the association.
Jan. 22, 1842 it was "resolved, that Mr. Morton of Monroe, have the use of the Whig Association pringint establishment during the ensuing year to print and publish a Whig newspaper in Jonesville, in said county, by a vote of six to three."
The Expositor, after a few years' publication in Jonesville, during which its history was that of early newspapers in general, was removed to Adrian, Lenawee Co., where it is still published as the Adrian Expositor.
The present Jonesville Independent was originally started by W.W. Murphy & Co. under the name of the Jonesville Telegraph. After numerous changes of proprietorship, it is at this time conducted by Messrs. Palmer & Eggleston, and is a live, attractive sheet, well edited and having a large circulation.
The new Hillsdale County Gazette was established at Jonesville, March 13, 1878, by James I. Dennis, formerly of the Independent, and ispublished in the interests of the Greenback political party. It is a seven-column folio sheet, with fair circulation. A small job-office is managed by the proprietor.
INCORPORATION- VILLAGE OFFICERS, ETC.
The original town of Jonesville is the oldest plat in the county and was laid out by Beniah Jones, Jr. the survey being made in August 1830 and the acknowledgment Jan. 31, 1831. It consisted of 58 lots and extended from East Street west in the St. Joseph River, while north an south it included from one tier of lots north of North Street to a tier south of South Street. The plat is laid on a part of the northwest quarter of section 4, town 6, south range 3 west.
Additions have been made to the village as follows; Tuler's Addition, by William H. Tuller, Sept. 1836; Lytles' Addition, by John Lytle, June 1836; Olds' Addition, by James Olds, Dec. 5, 1835; Northwestern Addition, by William W. Murphy, Witter J. Bakter and A.J. Baker, August 8, 1855; Noe's addition by Jacob Noe, June 1856; Gallup's Addition, by L.H. Gallup, Oct. 28, 1871; Packer's Addition by Henry Packer, April 1870.
The village of Jonesville was incorporated by act of the Legislature, passed Feb.10, 1855. The charter had been twice amended, Jan. 29, 1857 and April 2, 1869. The limits of the corporation at present are thus described in the charter of 1869;
The first election for village officers was held APril 10, 1855 and resulted in the choice of the following persons, viz: President, George C. Munro; Trustees Ebenezer O. Grosvenor, John G. Gardner, Luther L. Tucker, William M. Hammond, Roswell G. Spaulding; Recorder, Richard Nimrocks.
Officers appointed; Marshal, Moses A. Funk; Street Commissioner, Henry Baxter; Treasurer, Richard S. Varnum. Mr. Baxter doclined to act as street commissioner, and THoams Luce awas appointed in his place. A code of by-laws was adopted by the council April 28, 1855. The following is a list of the principal iofficers of the village, beginning with 1856 and including those up to 1878:
1856 - President Jesse Button; Recorder, Richard Nimocks; Trustee, Levi Baxter, Henry H. Sherman, Calvin W. Hampton, James S. Hasatings, WillisTuller.
1857 - President Witter J. Paxter; Recorder Richard Niocks; Trustees John S. Lewis, Orlando G. Gale, Stephen Levens, Edwin H. Hale, Haynes B. Tucker.
1858 - President E.O. Grosvenor; Recorder Richard Niocks; Trustees, Daniel A> Wisner, John G. Gardner, George Krapp, Lewis Wales, Seeley Humphrey.
1859 - President Lewis Wales; Recorder, Richard Nimocks, Trustees, George Krapp, Joseph Clark, Richard S. Varnum, Henry Baxter, Haynes B. Tucker.
1860, President William W. Murphy; Recorder, Richard Nimocks, Trustees Lewis H. Turner, Orlando C. Gale, Henry Clark, James H. Wade, Archibald Sinclair.
1861 - President Sanford R. Smith; Recorder Richard Nimocks, Trustees John A. Selfridge, Anson R. Wisner, Horace R. Gardner, Harmon F. Gaylord, John A. Sibbald, Henry Clark was chosen Trustee at a special meeting held March 25, 1861.
1862 - President Henry Clark; Recorder, Steve Gregory; Trustees, Harvey Ransom, Augustus Gale, Isaac B.Adams, John S. Lewis, John V. Coplin.
1863 - President George C. Munro; Recorder S. Gregory; Trustees, Alexander Beach,John A. Sibbald, Horatio Gale, H.F. Gaylord, H.R. Gardner.
1864 - President Alexander Beach; Recorder S. Gregory; Trustees JOhn W> Ten Eyck, Lewis H. Turner, Eugene C. Bartholomew, Isaac B. Adams, Lorenzo D. Green.
1865 - President Lewis H. Turner; Recorder S. Gregory; Trustees Henry Clark, James H. Wade, Daniel A. Wisner, SamuelJ. Lewis, J. Russell Darling.
1866 - President George M. Gardner;Recorder S. Gregory; Trustees John S. Lewis, JacobJ. Deal, Thomas R. Fowler, Henry Baxter, Anson R. Wisner.
1867 - President John S. Lewis, Recorder William W> Upham; Trustees A.Martin, H.A. Delavan, J.A. Sibbald, A. Beach, G. Chaddock.
1868 - President, George Krapp; Recorder, William M. Ransom; Trustees, Frank B. McClellan, Calvin L. Spaulding,Jacob J. Deal, George W. Bullock, Willis Tuller.
1869 - President John S. Lewis; Recorder Calvin L. Spaulding; Trustees, Witter J. Baxter, George C. Munro, Simeon B. White, Alfred S. Swift, Robert T. Miller.
1870 - President John S. Lewis, Recorder, C.L. Spaulding; Trustees Witter J. Baxter, George C.Munro, S.B. White, L.L. Spaulding, Henry Packer.
1871 - President Lorenzo D. Green; Recorder Robert A. Sinclair; Trustees William W. Wade, Leonard L. Spaulding, Calvin L. Spaulding, W.J. Baxter, G.C. Munro.
1872 - President L.D. Green; Recorder George M. Gardner; Trustees Camp Kelsey, Jacob J. Deal, George W. Bullock, William W. Wade, L.L. Spaulding
1873 - President Lucius C. Buell; Recorder Wm. W. Upham; Trustees Jacob J. Deal, Henry S. Nye, Isaac B. Taylor, Camp Lesley, G.W. Bullock.
1874 - President Harley J. Olds; Recorder W.W. Upham; Trustees L.S. Wales, H.W> Tuller, B.Martin, H.S. Nye, J.J. Deal.
1875 - President Harley J. Olds; Recorder W.W. Upham; Trustees B. Martin, L.H. Turner, F.W> Howard, L.S. Wales, H.W> Tuller.
1876 - President Oscar Palmer; Recorder James L. Dennis; Trustees Elprain Barkman,L.D. Lyman, W.W. waade, F.W. Howard, B. Martin
1877 - President William W. Wade; Recorder Henry C. Akerly; Trustees Oscar F. Richmond, James W. Button,Edward W. Risdorph, L.D. Lyman, E. Barkman, Mr. Lyman residgned and at a special meeting in September, Frank M. Hopkins was elected to fill the vacancy.
1878 - President Robert T. Miller; Recorder Albert A. Packer; Trustees Delos W. Stone, Daniel Fisehr Jr., Warford M. Robinson, O.F. Richmond, E.W. Risdorph; Assessors, Andrew J. Somers, William M. Wolcott; Marshal, Burt S. Roberts; Treasurer, Ephraim Barkman; Poundmaster George Drake; Street Commissioner, William L. Osgood; Special Policeman, George A. Fuller at Lake Shore and Michigan Southern depot; Bethel Martin at Ft. Wayne, Jackson and Saginaw Depot.
VILLAGE FIRE DEPARTMENT
On the 24th of October 1856, a petition was received by the Common Council from the citizens of Jonesville, asking that the village be divided into five wards, and a fire company be formed- At a speeiul meeting, ou the 25tb of the same month, it was Resolved. That we are in favor of petitioning the legislature to so alter the charter of said village as to allow tho voters, at their election in March, to vote to raise a special tax of not to exceed $3,000, for the purpose of purchasing a fire-engine and other apparatus for the extinguishing of fire, in accordatiee with the petition presented for the signatures of the Common Council.
Resolved. That the recorder be and is hereby instructed to draw an ordinance dividing the village into four fire districts, and for the appointing of five wardens, and for other purposes."
At a meeting held March 4, 1857, the recorder was instructed to draw an ordinance in relation to organizing a fire company, and it was resolved to appropriate from the general fund of the assessment of 1857 the sum of $500 for purchasing a fire-engine. E. O. Grosvenor, George C. Munro, and E. S. Varnum were authorised to purchase an engine, with necessary apparatus belonging thereto to cost, delivered in the village, not over $1500. The following persons were the sameday appointed members of a fire company, vit.; Luther I. Tucker. Thomas B. Tunaeliff. A. J. Vanderburgh, Haynes B. Tucker. Henry Hatter, O. A. Bartholomew. John Freelaud, R. S. Waterman, Christopher Pearce, Jesse C. Smith, Isaac B. Adams, J. Olds. Robert Watson. A. R. Wisner, Cary Dillon, Augustus Dale, M. Edgar, W. W. Murphy, John Kennedy. H.F. Gaylord, 0. C. Gale, C. Gregory. R. S. Varnum, George Drake, S. Humphrey. W. H. McConnell, A. B. Coleman, J. V. Coplin, E. O. Grosvenor, C. L. Monsell, Daniel Sylvester, D. H. Tucker. E. I. Calkins, George K. Dudley, James Burnett, Solomon Lombard, and S. Gaige,
The company, as duly organised, was called "Protection Company. No. 1. "The engine was first kept in George C. Munros barn, an annual rental of $10 being charged. A committee was appoiuted July 1, 1857. to choose a location for an engine-house and firemens hall.
Protection Hose Company, No. I, "was organized Aug. 5, 1857, with 20 members and attached to the engine company. Tbe committee on engine-house was on tbe same date ordered to receive proposals for the construction of a brick engine-house. 24 by 36 feet, and one story high. The engine and hose-cart, which was purchased this year 1857, cost including freight. $1339.82; and the old Presbyterian session-house and lot were finally purchased by the council, and the building repaired for use as an engine-house. It is at present in use as a marble-shop, and the old lettering, "Pretection No. 1," may still be seen be seen upon it. Numerous wells were dug for the use of tbe public and the fire department, and a cupola was built on the engine-house, and a large triangle hung in it in lien of a bell. The old hose company was disbanded Feb. 1, 1860 and a new one organised the same month with 24 members, but as the organizations were not kept up in due form, both the engine and hose companies were declared disbanded on the 3rd of March 1862. Tbe old engine house and lot were sold to S. Gregory, and bonds to the amount of $3,000 were issued, bearing interest at seven per cent, for the purpose of building a town hall and engine-house combined, and the structure was erected the same year. On the morning of Dec. 21, 1864, the fire-feind, hungry for spoil, with his greedy tongue lapped the building out of existence, ere yet the citizens had become used to the "new order of things."
Immediate steps were taken for rebuilding, however, bonds were issued and the work was begun, and the result of the mechanics labored, was the present substantial and commodious edifice on tbe old site, at tbe northwest corner of Chicago and Maumee Streets, built at a cost of $13,475. The Masonic lodge-rooms are in the third story, that order having furnished a portion of the funds necessary to the erection of both the old and new buildings.
At various other times the village has suffered seriously from fires, many of its landmarks having been swept away by the relentless flames, among them the old "Fayette House, "built by Beniah Jones,Jr.; the Munro & Manning" block, on the northeast oomer of Chicago and West Streets; the " Waverley House," formerly the now "Fayette;" and others of lesser importance. On one or two occasions the Hillsdale Fire Department has been present at, Joesville in time of need.
A new fire company was organized in April, 1869, with 50 members, and a new engine bouse built in the fall of the same year, at a cost of $240. A new hose-cart and the necessary hose had been purchased in 1868 costing $300. In 1874 the sum of $270 was expended for new hose and couplings. The old hand-engine is still in use, although the idea of purchasing a steamer has been canvassed to some extent, and should the needs of tbe village demand it would undoubtedly be forthcoming. The present department is very efficient, and its officers are Thomas Howlett. Chief Engineer; and 0.F. Richmond, Assistant. The original name, "Protection," has been adhered to. The engine company is officered as follows: Foreman, K. W. Risdorph ; Assistant Foreman, Charles H. Levens, Secretary, Frank M. Hopkins; Treasurer, George Harding. Hose Company. — Foreman, Fred. C. Rarkmau; Assistant Foreman, Fred. Dingfelder; Secretary, Cassius Glasgow; Treasurer, A. Eugene Winner.
The famour, but fortunately bloodless, "Toledo War," found aspirants for fame on every hand; the struggle with Mexico was ended after the shedding of much precious blood; and when in April 1861, the dastard hands of an ungrateful children fired upon the flag of the country which had nourished them, the feeling of intense excitement which pervaded the hearts of the people of the northland was not allowed to cool in this pioneer town. Earnestly and with fixedness of purpose the work of recruiting for the national volunteer army was carried forward, and the brave sons of Fayette, with the thousands upon thousands from other portions of the state, And their record is a glorious one. The maimed and disfigured forms of many who returned, and the graves beneath the swaying cypress, the live-oak and the magnolia, by the "rippling Tennessee," the Chattahoochie, and the swampy Savannah, by the mountains of Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, The Carolinas, and the Virignias, and upon the plains of Texas and Arkansas, tell but too truly of the severity of the conflict and of the firesides which mourn for the departed brave. Long will their memory be cherished.
On the 5th of June 1861 it was by the Common Council of the village of Jonesville "resolved, That we appropriate one hundred dollars for fitting and equipping soldier for the defense of thisState and the national flag. Resolved, That we appropriate the sum of $30 for the purpace of a sword and the belt fro Capt. Moses A. Funk of the Grosvenor Guards and that we appoint Col. E.O. Grosvenor and Hon. W.W. Murphy a committee to purchase said sword and belt and to present the same to Capt. Funk in behalf of the citizens of the village of Jonesville".
ORDERS and SOCIETIES
Jonesville Encampment, No. 8, !.O.O.F, was organized about 1847-48 and its charter members numbered nine; among them were George C. Munro, Henry Baxter, E.O. Grosvenor, Schenck Baker, Horace Button and Charles Gregory. After the fire above mentioned the encampment never was revived, its records having been destroyed and its prosperity checked.
La Fayette Lodge No. 16, F. and A.M. - This is the oldest Masonic lodge in Hillsdale Co. and was chartered in the spring of 1846, h aving been conducted under dispensation since some time in 1844. Among its charter members were Jesse Button, Jesse Stoddard, David Bagley, Baldwin , Whittney, Swick and others. Its oldest living member is George C. Munro wo has been connected with it about 31 years. Its first lodgeroom was over a blacksmith-shop and it at present occupies the upper floor of the Town Hall Block. Its organization has been continued since its beginning with general prosperity and with a present membership of about 120, it is in a flourishing condition. The principal officers for 1878 are: Worshipful Master C.L. Spaulding; Senior Warden, S.D. McNeal; Junior Warden, Oscar A. Tracy; Senior Deacon, George Fuller; Junior Deacon, J.H. Stone; Tayler , John Jordan.
Jonesville Chapter No,8, R.A.M., was organized in 1851 with Jesse Button, James W. Button, George C. Munro and others as members. The present membership in Nov. 1878 is about 100, and the principal officers are O.F. Richmond, High Priest; R.G. Spaulding, King; Lewis Wales, Seribe.
Council No. 5 is also sustained with R.G. Spaulding as Thrice Illustrious Grand Master.
Fayette Grange No. 251, P. of H., was organized Jan. 12, 1876 with the following officers, viz; Master, C.R. Coryell; Oversear, V.F. Shepard; Lecturer, H.E. Reed, Steward, H.P. Wheeler; Assistant Steward, E.B. Gregory; Chaplain. Mrs. W. Richards; Treas. W. Richards; Sec. H.M. Ward; Gatekeeper, J.C. Ward; Ceres. Mrs. L. Miller; Pemona. Mrs. H.M. Ward; Flora, Miss Carrie Miller; Lady Assistant Steward, Mrs. J.C. Smith. The organization has been maintained with good success, and the grange is now in flourishing condition, occupying rooms in the same building with the Odd Fellows, on Chicago Street, Jonesville.
The Ladies Library Association was organized in November 1874 and the first dwaring of books held Jan. 9, 1875. A club consisting of 26 ladies had been formed two years previously, each furnishing a single volume, which collection formed the nucleus of the present library. Subsequently a donation of 75 volumes was received from A.F. Barnes, of the the village in aid of their enterprise, and through other small donations and the funds received from various social and literary entertainments, the number of volumes had been increased to 1030 at the end of October 1878. The membership of the association is about 70, each paying an annual fee of $2. The libraryrooms which are located in the Gardner Block, are open on Saturday afternoon of each week. The directors of the association are 15 in number; President, Mrs. G.W. Warren; Vice President, Miss Anna Curtis; Treasurer,Miss J.S. Sinclair; Recording-Secretary, Miss Carrie Champlin; Corresponding Secretary, Mrs. H.M. Stites. The librarian is appointed quarterly from among the board of directors.
History of Hillsdale County, Michigan, 1879 - Crisfield Johnson Everts & Abbott Philadelphia