Houghton County, Michigan
BARNES, Edward Arthur
Lawyer; born, Mason, Mich., (Houghton Co) Nov. 8, 1862; son of Orlando Mack and Amanda Watson (Fleming) Barnes; educated in public schools of Mason and Lansing, Mich.; Michigan Military Academy, Orchard Lake, Mich., 1879; graduate Literary Department, University of Michigan, degree of A. B., 1883; student Harvard Law School, two years, 1883-85; married at Fort Wayne, Ind., Oct. 21, 1886, Julia Mott, daughter of Judge John Morris. Has been engaged in general practice of law in Detroit since 1886, has practiced alone except 1895-1905, when he was in partnership with U. Grant Race under firm name of Barnes & Race. Jeffersonian Democrat. Mason; member Sons of American Revolution, Psi Upsilon (college fraternity). Recreation: Fishing. Office: 55 Home Bank Bldg. Residence: 612 Jefferson Av. [Source: The Book of Detroiters. Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908]
BRADY, Thomas F.
Hibbing. Res 1019 3d av, office 218 Pine st. Public official. Born Mar 27, 1868 in Houghton Mich, son of Thomas M and Margaret (Friel) Brady. Married 1897 to Anna Haben (died April 3, 1905); Dec 16, 1906 to Delia La Franc. Educated in the common and high schools Houghton Mich graduating 1886 and attended law dept Notre Dame Univ 1887-89. Editor of newspaper Ontanagon Mich 1890-91. Removed to Duluth 1892 and entered law office of his father Thomas M Brady under firm name of T M Brady & Sons until 1894. Removed to Grand Rapids Minn with father and remained 1 year; thence to Hibbing where he has been engaged in practice to date. Township clk Hibbing 1896-1900; village recorder 1900-1903; municipal judge of Hibbing 1904-1907; re-elected 1907 for 3 years; village atty 1905-1906. Member B P O E and K of P. [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Rhonda Hill]
George Brown, merchant of Chippewa Falls, is one of the prominent and successful business men in Pope County. He is a native of England, born in Northumberlandshire in 1817, and is a son of Robert and Mary (Martin) Brown. His parents were also natives of England. HIs father, after coming to America, was for some time a sub-contractor on the Erie Canal. The parents lived at Utica, New York, for a time, and in 1818 settled at Jordan, New York. In 1819 the wife died and during the same year the father removed to Canada. He became the owner of some 200 acres of land near Streetsville, in Peel county, Canada, and there remained until the time of his death. Robert Brown and wife were the parents of four sons, as follows - Samuel, Robert, Thomas and George. Robert died in Australia, November 2, 1887.
George Brown, the subject of our present sketch, after his mother's death, was brought by the family of Moses Hewe, of Onondaga County, New York. He was reared on a farm, and received the education afforded by the excellent common school system of the "Empire State." When he arrived at the age of twenty-three he was married to Miss Harriet Ingoldsby, a native of St. Lawrence county, New York, and a daughter of Eben and Zeruriah Ingoldby. Our subject next settled in Hillsdale county, Michigan, where he had previously purchased a farm and where he continued to reside, taking an active and prominent part in all public matters for over fifteen years. For a number of years he was engaged there in the mercantile trade and also in handling cattle, and also for some time followed the profession of a school teacher. He removed to Manistee, Michigan and one year later settled in Calhoun county, Michigan, and there engaged in general merchandising. After one year's residence there, he shipped his goods to Missouri. There he ran down his stock and remained until 1872, when he came with the balance of his goods to Pope county, Minnesota, and established a general merchandise store at Chippewa Falls, which he still conducts. He is a man of the strictest integrity and is widely and favorably known throughout the entire county.
Our subject held the office of postmaster in Missouri before settling here, and since his residence in Pope county he has been prominently identified with its official history. For three terms he held the office of justice of the peace, and in 1880 was elected a member of the board of county commissioners, and served three years. In political matters Mr. Brown affiliates with the republican party, and takes an active interest in its campaigns.
Mrs. Brown died in 1861 at Houghton, Michigan. She was a woman of more than ordinary literary attainments, having received her education at Albion, Orleans county, New York, and had taught school in New York and Michigan for a number of years.
Mr. Brown, in 1849, being seized with the gold fever, which at that time raged throughout the country, went by the overland route to California, and for eighteen months was engaged in mining, meeting with success.
Illustrated Album of Biography of Pope and Stevens Counties Minnesota (1888) transcribed by Cheri Sletten.
F. W. Denton, superintendent of the Baltic mine and in full charge of the Winona mine, both located in Houghton County, Michigan, is a well known resident of Atlantic. He was born in New Jersey and completed his education at the School of Mines at Columbia University in 1889. [Portrait & Biographical Houghton/Baraga/Marquette 1903]
Des ROCHERS, Edward C.
who has been engaged in a successful business at the same location in Houghton, Houghton County, Michigan, for the past 21 years, is one of the village's leading and representative citizens. He was born in Houghton in 1866. and is a son of the late Francis Des Rochers, who died in 1895, aged 70 years. Francis Des Rochers was for a long period a very prominent man of Houghton County, serving as marshal of Houghton and as deputy sheriff. He was born in Canada, of French descent, and located at Houghton in 1862. coming from Detroit, Michigan. Our subject's mother was born in Detroit, and her death occurred in 1809. Of their large family all but two members were born in Detroit. These children were as follows: Charles, clerk for Northrup & Butler, died at the age of 21; Mary, deceased; Thomas; Lewis, who is in the South: J. George, manager of the dry goods house of L. Herman & Company at Houghton, Michigan; William, with Haer & Company, of Detroit, Michigan; Rose, of Detroit, Michigan; and Edward C. of this sketch.
Edward C. Des Rochers was reared and educated at Houghton and attended the National Pharmacy Institute at Chicago, completing the course at that institution in 1886. He has been associated for the past 21 years with the drug firm in which he purchased his interest in 1897, and deserves the confidence which is placed in him as a prescription druggist. He carries a large line not only of medicines and surgical appliances, but also all commodities usually found in a first class establishment of the kind. In 1898 Mr. Des Rochers married a daughter of M. M. Foley, who was a merchant for a number of years in Houghton, Michigan. Two children have been born to this marriage: Edward M. and Jerome Fauster. Politically Mr. Des Rochers is a Denuwrrat In his religious views he is a Catholic, being a leading member of St. Ignatius Roman Catholic Church of Houghton, Michigan. [Biographical Record Houghton, Baraga And Marquette Counties, Michigan. Biographical Publishing Company, Chicago, Ill., 1903]
GEERS, Rev. August William
Rev. August William Geers, rector of St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church at Hancock, Houghton County, Michigan, was born in 1853 in Switzerland. He is a son of August and Maria (Frast) Geers, both of whom were of German nativity. Father Geers comes of intellectual ancestry, his father having been for 50 years a professor of ancient languages in the colleges of Switzerland, and for seven years in those of his birthplace, Hanover. The mother was born in Wurtcmborg, where she died when her only child, our subject, was an infant. By a second marriage, the father had two additional children. Both parents were devoted members of the Catholic Church. Father Geers was well educated in the schools and colleges of Switzerland, supplementing this instruction with that of the seminaries at Cleveland and Cincinnati, Ohio, after coming to the United States in 1870. He was ordained to the priesthood in 1876, by the Rt. Rev. Bishop Dwengar, at Fort Wayne, Indiana. In 1881 he came to the Northern Peninsula and after filling several charges in the diocese of Marquette, he was located at Hancock, and for the past two years has been the beloved pastor of St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church. [Portrait & Biographical Houghton/Baraga/Marquette 1903]
Cashier of the Superior Savings Rank at Hancock, Houghton County, Michigan, and a well known financier of that county, was born at Hancock, and is a son of the late A.M. Getchell, who located in Hancock in 1860, and was connected with the foundry which was the beginning of the present Portage Lake Foundry Company. A. M. Getchell was born at Machias, Maine, and died at Hancock in 1889, aged 55 years. His widow still survives, and makes her home at Hancock. M. C. Getchell was reared at Hancock and attended the local schools. He occupied a number of important positions prior to taking up his present one, and is secretary and treasurer of the Superior Trust Company, being also associated with other enterprises. He has been cashier of the Superior Savings Bank ever since its organization in 1890, and by his careful and conservative course and his obliging manner has made many friends in the business world. In politics Mr. Getchell votes the Republican ticket, but takes no very lively interest in local management. His fraternal connections include the Masons and the Elks.
GIBSON, DR. John L. McD.
John L. McD. Gibson, D. D. S., of Houghton, Houghton County, Michigan, whose portrait accompanies this sketch, has acquired a high degree of success in the practice of dentistry, and is widely known for his ability as an athlete. He was born in Berlin, Ontario, Canada, September 10, 1879, and is a son of James and Mary (McDonald) Gibson, both of whom are natives of Aberdeen, Scotland. James Gibson was a farmer in Waterloo County, Ontario, until 1892, when he retired, and now lives in the town of Berlin. The following children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Gibson: Delia, who married Fred Colquhoun, and lives in Waterloo, Ontario; Agnes, who married Fred Pearson, has two children and lives in Berlin, Ontario; Thomas, who married Minnie Allan, and lives in Carstairs, Alberta County, Northwest Territory; Alexander, who married Eula Johnson, and is a physician of Birmingham, Alabama; Isabel, who married H. H. Pirie, and lives in Cartago, Costa Rico, Central America; Nora, who married Alexander Goldie and lives at Gait, Ontario; Madge and Minnie, who are unmarried and live at home; and John L. McD.
Dr. John L. McD. Gibson attended the common schools of Berlin, Canada, and later entered Pickering College, from which he was graduated in 1896. He then took a course of instruction in the Detroit Dental College, graduated in 1900 and immediately thereafter located in Houghton, Houghton County, where he has become firmly established in the confidence and esteem of the people. Dr. Gibson has excelled in athletics and while in college established a name for himself which will long be remembered in Canada by all true lovers of sports. The Hockey Record for 1897 had the following to say of him in this connection: "Mr. John L. Gibson has been on the Berlin team for three years, playing an almost perfect defense. In his position at point he is unquestionably the best man west of Montreal and Quebec. In 1895 he was captain of the Pickering College team at the early age of 15 years. At association football, at tennis, cricket and lacrosse he plays a fine game. In August. 1896, he won the half-mile Waterloo County championship rowing race easily. He is also an excellent swimmer. His weight is close to 185 pounds and he is as good as a stone wall to knock over." In 1900 the Berlin Hockey Club (Y. M. C. A.), of which Dr. Gibson was a member, established another remarkable record and won every game of the series for the year against some of the best teams of Ontario. At the conclusion of the final game Dr. Gibson was carried off the ice on the shoulders of his admiring: friends for his brilliant playing. In 1900 the Rangers of Berlin, to which he belonged, won the championship of the East from Toronto, becoming champions of Canada. In 1901 Dr. Gibson was sent to St. Louis to assist the Association Hockey Club in a game with the St. Louis A. A. Club. The Democrat said of the game: "Gibson not only won the game for his team, but showed St. Louisians a bit of scientific hockey playing exceedingly rare in this locality." In 1900 our subject took the Berlin Rangers to St. Louis to play a game of football against a picked team from the Globes and Shamrocks. The game resulted in a victor)1 of 8 to o for the Rangers, and in speaking of the game the St. Louis Star said: "Never for a moment did St. Louis have a chance to score. The spectators were given a wonderful exhibition by the Canucks. They are the best team that ever came to St. Louis. Jack Gibson is certainly a star. He made every man on the home team look amateurish. This clever young athlete, who might be taken for Emmett Heidrick, is the fastest and surest half back since Govier's time. and a good many think he is even better than Govier. If there is such a thing as sensational playing then that term should be applied to Gibson's playing yesterday. His football is even more phenomenal than his hockey playing." He excels in every line of athletics, and has a drawer full of medals won in rowing, swimming, skating and running. In 1901 Dr. Gibson became a member of the Portage Lake Hockey Team of Houghton, Michigan, being the first to introduce the game in the locality. This team, under the captaincy of Dr. Gibson, has met with marvelous success, and of the 10 large games played they have won them all but one. They defeated Minneapolis and St. Paul in 1902, won the championship of the West at Chicago, and the championship of the United States by defeating the Bankers at Pittsburg. Pennsylvania. The Portage Lake Hockey Team includes the following men: Joseph H. Jones, John C. Baker, John L. McD. Gibson, Joseph H. Stephens, Robert Rowe, C. E. Westcott and H. E. Meinks. Andrew Holler is substitute, C. Webb is manager, "Paddy" is mascot, and Ted Ames is trainer. Their home rink is "the Amphidrome," and the club colors are white and green. Fraternally Dr. Gibson is a member of the Knights of Pythias, Fraternal Order of Eagles and Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. He belongs to Company G, Third Regiment, Houghton Light Infantry, Michigan National Guards. He is a Republican in politics, and in religious belief is a Presbyterian. [Portrait and Biographical - 1903]
George Gipp, byname the Gipper (born February 18, 1895, Laurium, Michigan, U.S. - died December 14, 1920, South Bend, Indiana), American gridiron football player at the University of Notre Dame (1917–20) who became a school legend. Gipp entered Notre Dame on a baseball scholarship, but he was recruited for football by the coach Knute Rockne, who saw Gipp drop-kicking and passing a football on a field adjacent to the practice field. Gipp played 32 consecutive games for Notre Dame and scored 83 touchdowns. In one 1917 game he was apparently going to punt but instead drop-kicked a 62-yard field goal. Gipp was named captain of the team for 1920, but he was expelled from the university for missing too many classes and frequenting off-limits establishments. He was an assistant to Rockne before being reinstated as a student. In his last season he enjoyed one of his greatest performances, gaining a total of 324 yards and leading Notre Dame, down 14–7 at halftime, to a 27–17 victory over Army. Later that season he fell ill and eventually developed the pneumonia from which he died. Two weeks prior to his death, he became Notre Dame’s first All-American. At halftime during a scoreless game with Army in 1928, Rockne asked the team to "win one for the Gipper," keeping a promise that he said he had made to Gipp on his deathbed. It is unlikely that Gipp ever made such a request, but the story reinforced the Gipp legend. (Notre Dame rallied to beat Army 12–6 that year.) The legend was further burnished when Ronald Reagan (the future U.S. president) played the role of Gipp in the film Knute Rockne - All American (1940). [source: britannica.com]
Residing a little to the east of the village of Houghton, Houghton County, Michigan, and proprietor of the beautiful Haas Park, a favorite summer resort for picnics and excursions, was born in Bavaria, Germany, in 1845, and is a son of Adam Haas. Adam Haas, who was a cabinet-maker by trade, brought his family to this country in 1851, first locating in New York City. For two years he followed his trade in Brooklyn, and in 1853 removed to the copper region of the Northern Peninsula of Michigan, being one of the pioneers. He landed first at Eagle River, but soon after removed to the head waters of Portage Lake, locating on the land through which the canal was later constructed which land he sold at a handsome profit. During 1853 and 1854 he worked in the mines near Houghton, then resided two years at the canal, after which he removed to Houghton, which place continued to be his home until his death,- a period of 20 years. His first business in Houghton was the starting of a line of boats, plying between Houghton and Eagle River, carrying freight and passengers. This he conducted about two years, and for a like period conducted a retail liquor store. In 1859 he started the brewery, which is still operated under the firm name of the A. Haas Brewing Company. He began with a 10-barrel copper kettle, gradually increasing his plant to its present capacity, which is about 25,000 barrels per annum. He worked up a very large local trade, which extends throughout the Northern Peninsula. He also became the owner of large landed interests in the county and adjoining counties. After the death of Adam Haas the brewery was conducted by his two sons and four daughters, Joseph Haas being president, and Adolph Haas, vice-president and collector. The directorate included the other children. Adam Haas was a stanch Republican in politics, serving several terms as highway commissioner, also as county coroner. Mrs. Haas died about 1888. The daughters of Mr. and Mrs. Haas are: Frances, wife of Matthew McConnell, a retired railway conductor residing near Haas Park, Houghton County, Michigan; Gretchen, wife of Mr. C. Fox; Eva, wife of Rudolph Richter of Kansas City, Kansas; and Lillie, wife of George Riscwitz of Houghton, Michigan.
Joseph Haas was about six years old when he came to this country, and his school training in the Houghton County schools was supplemented by a year of study in Detroit. In 1862 he enlisted under Capt. C. D. Shelden and Lieut. Graham Pope in Company I, 23rd Reg., Michigan Vol. Inf., attached to the 23rd Army Corps, and saw three years of hard service, his right arm being injured seriously in one engagement. He entered upon a business career at an early age, and upon the death of his father became president of the A. Haas Brewing Company. He devoted practically all of his attention to the business of this concern until in 1901, when it was sold to a company of which Joseph Strobel is president. It is still conducted under its old name. Since 1901 Mr. Haas has engaged in speculative operations with success. He purchased his present beautiful home in 1889, of Mr. Chassell, formerly cashier of the bank at Houghton. He has improved the place materially and established the beautiful Haas Park, in which are a number of deer. A dam has been constructed and an artificial pond, in which are many fine speckled trout. The park contains some 15 acres. Mr. Haas was united in marriage with Miss Haun, a sister of Frank Hann, a merchant of Dollar Bay, Houghton County, and 16 children blessed their union, only two of whom are dead, namely: Blanche, who died at the age of eight years; and Chassell, who died at the age of one year. Those living are: Rudolph, a veteran of the Spanish-American War, now in charge of the Houghton County poor farm, and food inspector for the Northern Peninsula, who was formerly county treasurer, being the only Democrat ever elected to that office; Josie, whose husband, Theodore Dengler, is a civil and mining engineer at the Atlantic mine; Albert, a brewer in business at Redbridge, Houghton County; Prank, who is with Engineer Theodore Dengler at the Atlantic mine: Mrs. Hattie Rencau, of Houghton, whose husband is connected with the Mining Gazette printing office; Florence, wife of Elza Ingraham, stenographer in the law office of Chadboume & Rees; Mata; Rosie; Laura; Evangeline; Vallory; Marcella; Ralph; and Hulbcrt. Although he has never accepted of office, Mr. Haas has been active in politics, and has attended numerous conventions. He was formerly a Democrat, but in recent years has been a Republican. He is a member of Hancock Post, G. A. R.. in which he has filled all the chairs; and formerly was a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. In religious views the family are Catholics. [Biographical Houghton, Baraga, Marquette 1903]
HAAS, JOSEPH -- of the A. Haas Brewing Company, was born in Bavaria, Germany, December 24, 1845; son of Adam and Eva Haas. He came to America with his parents in 1852. The family came direct to Houghton, but only remained a few months, and then moved ten miles farther up the lake to the Portage. Two years later, they returned to Houghton, where they have continued to reside to this date. (See sketch of A. Haas and the Brewing Company.) Joseph enlisted August 22, 1862, in Company I, Twenty-third Michigan Volunteer Infantry, and served three years in the late war. He was married at Houghton in August, 1866, to Miss Josephine Haun. Mrs. Haas was born in Iowa. They have eight children-Rudolph, Josephine, Albert, Frank, Henrietta, Florence, Blanche and Matha. Soon after his father's death, Mr. Haas, with his mother and brother Adolph, organized the A. Haas Brewing Company to conduct the business established by Adam Haas, deceased. ["History of the Upper Peninsula" Chicago: The Western Historical Company. A. T. Andreas, Proprietor, 1883]
HARKNESS, DR. R.B.
R. B. Harkness, M. D., a prominent physician and surgeon of Houghton, Houghton County, Michigan, also has charge of the weather bureau at that point. He has been located there since June, 1900, and has become firmly established in the confidence and good will of his fellow citizens. Dr. Harkness was born in Pennsylvania, and received his educational training in the Western University of Pennsylvania at Pittsburg, and at the Memphis Hospital Medical College, at Memphis, Tennessee, from which he was graduated in 1899. He has since practiced continuously, spending one year in hospital work at Memphis and later practicing as the assistant of Dr. Henning, of Memphis. He has been with the United States Weather Bureau since 1893, being stationed at different times at Pittsburg, Memphis, Tennessee, Little Rock, Arkansas, Washington, D. C and Vicksburg, Mississippi. He located in Houghton. Michigan, in June, 1900, and in August of that year established the Weather Bureau station at that point. Since November, 1901, the Doctor has actively practiced his profession in Houghton, having fine offices in the Young Building, and has established a well paying practice. The father of Dr. Harkness was a prominent military man, Lieut.-Col. T. C. Harkness, a veteran of the Civil War. Both his parents are deceased, and he has several brothers and sisters located in various parts of the country. Socially, our subject is a member of the county, State and American medical associations; the Knights of Pythias; the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks; and Fraternal Order of Eagles. Religiously, he is a member and trustee of the Presbyterian Church at Houghton. [[Biographical Record Houghton, Baraga And Marquette Counties, Michigan. Biographical Publishing Company, Chicago, Ill., 1903] Dr. Harkness was listed on the 1st Portage Lake Hockey Team 1899]
HOUGHTON, Douglass was born in Troy New York, September 21, 1809. He was educated for a physician at the Rensselaer Institute and graduated in 1829. The following year he was appointed Assistant Professor of Chemistry and Natural History in the Institute, and while occupying this position he came to Detroit, by request of a number of citizens, to deliver a course of lectures on scientific subjects. In 1831 he was appointed surgeon and botanist to the expedition sent out by the Government to explore the sources of the Mississippi River. On his return he settled in Detroit and practised as a physician. In 1833 he was elected President of the Young Men's Society, and in 1837 was appointed State Geologist, and continued to hold the position until his death, doing much to develop the resources of the State, and being instrumental in attracting the attention of many capitalists to its mineral wealth. He also served as one of the Professors in the University. He was a member of the National Institute in Washington, of the Boston Society of Natural History, and an honorary member of the Royal Antiquarian Society of Copenhagen and of many other scientific and literary associations. He served a Mayor of the city in 1842. He was drowned in Lake Superior, near the mouth of Eagle River, during a violent storm on October 13, 1845. The body was recovered and he was buried at Detroit on May 15, 1846. His death was deemed a great public loss. Houghton County in Michigan is named after him and fitly perpetuates his memory. Three children are living - Douglass Houghton Jr. of Detroit; Mrs. Harraun, of Santa Fe, Nev Mexico, and Mrs. E. E. Morgan, of Coldwater. [Source: History of Detroit and Wayne County and Early Michigan By Silas Farmer, 1890]
HUBBELL, Jay Abel
HON. JAY ABEL HUBBELL, son of Samuel S. and grandson of Abel Jay Hubbell, was born in Avon, Mich., Sept. 15, 1829. The following is a sketch of his career, from the National Free Press of October 23, 1880, published at Washington, D. C.: "Jay Abel Hubbell, Representative in Congress from the Ninth District of Michigan, and Chairman of the Republican Congressional Committee, was born in Michigan, his father, Samuel S. Hubbell, a native of New York State, having removed thither in 1820. The first eighteen years of this life were spent by young Hubbell on his father's farm. He was a robust youth and is a robust man. After two years of studious preparation at Romeo and Rochester, he entered the University of Michigan in the sophomore class, and graduated in 1853. The two following years were spent in the study of law, and in 1855 he was admitted to the bar by the Supreme Court of the State. In November, 1855, Mr. Hubbell removed to Ontonagon, in the Upper Peninsula, where he formed a law partnership with Hon. A. H. Hanscom, and commenced what afterward proved to be a very lucrative law practice. He subsequently became associated with Mr. George C. Jones, taking a prominent part in the affairs of the State. He was elected District Attorney of the Upper Peninsula in 1857, and was re-elected in 1859. He continued his practice at Ontonagon until February, 1860, when he removed to Houghton, Mich., and was elected Prosecuting Attorney of Houghton County in 1861-63 and 1865. From 1861, the date of his removal to Houghton, until 1871, when he retired from active practice, Mr. Hubbell's law business was large and remunerative. As a lawyer, he was noted for care and exactness in the preparation of cases, and for the success with which he prosecuted them. When he removed to Houghton the great mining interests were in their infancy. In their development he took from the start an active interest, investing all his spare means in mining stock, and contributed to their successful development by his determined energy, judicious management and undaunted pluck. The great pecuniary success which attended these mining enterprises enabled him to retire from the practice of law in 1871; but up to this time his interest in the development of the mines of Lake Superior has never flagged, and it was under his direction, as a State Commissioner to the Centennial Exhibition of 1876, that the remarkable exhibit of the mineral products of this State was collected and made. Already, prior to his retirement from the practice of law, Mr. Hubbell had become an active factor in the public affairs of his native State. His extensive acquaintance with people of the Upper Peninsula and his well-known ability and energy brought him to the front as a political leader. In the Presidential contest of 1868, he was an active worker, and by his able speeches attracted public attention and commanded respect. During the same year he was sent to Washington to aid in procuring the passage of a bill increasing the tariff on copper. His efforts were crowned with success. The people of his district testified to their appreciation of ability as a public leader by giving a very flattering vote at the Congressional Convention of the Sixth Congressional District, which then included Houghton. In 1872, Michigan having been redistricted, Mr. Hubbell was re-nominated for Congress by the Republican Convention to represent the Ninth Congressional District, comprehending within its limits the nine counties of the Upper Peninsula and eighteen counties of the Lower Peninsula. He made a successful l canvass, and was elected by 10,951 votes, against 5,546 cast for his competitor, Mr. S. P. Ely, who ran as the Liberal Republican and Democratic candidate. In the Forty-third Congress, Mr. Hubbell was placed upon the Committee on Banking and Currency and Mines and Mining, - and was also a member of the joint committee to investigate the affairs of the District of Columbia, in all of which he rendered good service.
He secured the payment of some $20,000 to the State of Michigan, being five percent on the permanent reservation, which had been due to that State and uncollected for a number of years. He delivered a speech in the House during this term, which attracted marked attention. Through his efforts also the long unsettled land titles at St. Mary, Mich., were adjudicated in favor of the claimants. He also secured the passage of a bill to relieve from taxation the mining corporations of the Upper Peninsula, which had been assessed on the issue of the drafts which had been taxed as currency. In 1874, Mr. Hubbell was reelected to Congress by 12,877 votes, against 3,460 votes for H. D. Noble, Democrat. In the Forty-fourth Congress, he was again on the Banking and Currency Committee. He introduced a bill by which the State of Michigan would have collected some $250,000, arising from the five percent on county lands allowed in that State under the act of admission, a claim which, though still in abeyance, is likely to be pushed, by his persistent efforts to collect, in the next Congress. He was also conspicuous in his able opposition to the Morrison tariff bill, and was influential in accomplishing its defeat. In 1876, he was again elected to Congress, this time by 18,224 votes, against 12,000 for John H. Kilbourne, Democrat. He was placed in the Forty-fifth Congress upon the Committee on Expenditures in the Navy Department, and joined in the able minority report which so fully and clearly exonerated ex-Secretary Robeson from the charges which partisan malice turned up against him. He was also placed upon the Committee on Commerce, and was on the sub-committee which prepared the river and harbor bill. He secured for Michigan immense and unexpected appropriations for greatly needed improvements in her harbors and rivers. Among others secured the deepening of the St. Mary's River to sixteen feet. It was during this session (November 2, 1877) that Mr. Hubbell introduced a substitute for the Ewing anti-resumption bill, which was defeated, but the same matter was subsequently embraced in the fort bill and became a law. Mr. Sherman also gave orders for the receipt of greenbacks for customs dues, thus vindicating in all essential respects the forethought and wisdom of the Hubbell substitute. In this Congress, Mr. Hubbell made speeches on foreign commerce and upon the coinage of silver, both of which attracted favorable attention. In 1878, he was again elected to Congress by 15,264 votes, against 7,478 for John Powers, Democrat. He was placed in the Forty-sixth Congress upon the Committee on Appropriations; was chairman on the sub-committee of the pension bill, and a member of the sub-committee on the Indian bill, in which position he did effective service. He was re-elected to Congress in 1880 by a larger majority than ever. He received 23,437 to 14,642 for E. S. Pratt, Democrat, and 800 for George Parmalee, National. From his entry into Congress Mr. Hubbell has been continuously a member of the Republican Congressional Committee, His well-known service and executive ability won for him the chairmanship of that committee, and he has proven himself an active, able political leader. Being unable to leave his post at Washington during the campaign of 1880, he issued to his constituents a stirring address in the shape of an open letter in the overshadowing issue, which received favorable comments from the party press throughout the land. Chairman Hubbell's direct and logical processes and methods have great decision and energy of character, with sufficient caution for safety and the requisite dash to evoke enthusiasm. His manner is pleasantly blunt and direct. He is shrewd, careful, and his straightforward bluntness is tempered with tact. His brain is large, his heart is large and his common sense unquestioned, and his devotion to his friends has been proven. He would make a very useful Senator, and Michigan, if she can appreciate, and she has always shown she can, the sturdy eloquence, skill and energy of her best tried legislative sons, will undoubtedly in due time place Mr. Hubbell in the United States Senate." [History of the Upper Peninsula - Chicago: The Western Historical Company. A. T. Andreas, Proprietor 1883]
KEMP, Michael J.
Michael J. Kemp, vice-president of the Bosch Brewing Company, and a prominent citizen of Lauriuin, Houghton County, Michigan, was born in 1872 at Port Washington, Wisconsin. He is a son of Nicholas and Susan (Kass) Kemp, both of whom were bom in Germany. Nicholas Kemp was born in the Grand Duchy of Luxemburg, Germany, and died near Port Washington, Wisconsin, in 1887. He was a maltster and brewer and was half owner and had full charge of the Ozaukee County Malting Company at the time of his death. He came to the United States at the age of 18 years and located first in Kenosha County, Wisconsin, where he engaged in farm work until 1849, going then to the California gold fields. Two years later he returned to Kenosha County, having been very successful, and engaged for a lime in a mercantile business at Port Washington. He was a man of intelligence and integrity and held a number of the local offices. In politics he was a stanch Democrat. Religiously he was connected with the Catholic Church. He married Susan Kass, who was born in Moselle, Germany, and died in Wisconsin in 1893, aged 60 years. Six of their 11 children still survive, viz: Elizabeth, who resides at Lake Linden, the widow of N. G. Poull; Barbara, who married Nicholas Daniels, a farmer of Kenosha County, Wisconsin; Kate, who is the wife of Joseph Bosch, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this volume; Mary, the wife of Joseph Gahlen, who operates a flour mill at Le Mars, Iowa; Melchior, who is brew master of the Bosch Brewery in Lake Linden; and Michael J., of this sketch. Mr. Kemp was educated in the public schools of Port Washington, and Bryant & Strattons Business College at Chicago, Illinois. After completing his education he removed to Lake Linden and entered the employ of Joseph Bosch as assistant bookkeeper in the Bosch Brewery at Lake Linden. In 1894 he moved to Calumet and took charge of the Bosch plant and still acts in that capacity. While living in Red Jacket he served two terms as, a member of the Council and during this time was instrumental in the building of the Red Jacket Opera House, which cost $65,000. Fraternally Mr. Kemp is connected with the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. Religiously, like his parents, he is an attached member of the Catholic Church. [Biographical Record Houghton, Baraga And Marquette Counties, Michigan. Biographical Publishing Company, Chicago, Ill., 1903]
Rev. Antonio Molinari, pastor of Le Maria Church at Calumet, Houghton County, Michigan, was born in the province of Naples, Italy, and is a son of natives of that land, twing one of four children born to his parents. His two sisters are both married and his one brother is a distinguished soldier in the Italian army, a graduate of a military college and a captain in rank, having seen 11 years of active service in Africa. Father Molinari was educated in the Metropolitan Seminary at Naples, where he was ordained in 1892 by a special dispensation, not having reached the legal age prescribed by the church. He came then to America and spent three months at Detroit, Michigan, coming then to the diocese of Marquette and Sault Ste. Marie, and after serving several charges was assigned to Calumet. He found the church in Calumet tailoring tinder a debt of $7,000, and it was his first endeavor to have it paid. It was built in 1897 and dedicated by Bishop Vert in and is the first Italian church in the city, as father Molinari is the first Italian priest permanently located there. His command of languages is remarkable, being fluent in the Italian, French, English and Spanish. Father Molinari has had much to encourage him since locating in Calumet, in the ready response he has found to his efforts, both in and outside of his parish, to advance education and morality. He now has a large congregation, and in connection with the church he has a most prosperous society called the Daughters of Mary, dedicated to religious work. He is preparing to have a suitable parsonage erected adjacent to the church. In 1896 he spent a few months with his mother in Italy, and came back refreshed and ready to continue in the work which has shown such improvement since he took charge. He is respected and esteemed by all who know him, not only as a clergyman, but as an upright, Christian gentleman. [Biographical Record Houghton, Baraga And Marquette Counties, Michigan. Biographical Publishing Company, Chicago, Ill., 1903]
PRICKETT, Walter S.
Walter S. Prickett, who is widely known as the proprietor of the Roycroft Farms of Sidnaw, Houghton County, Michigan, was born at Medford, New Jersey, June 25, 1864. Mr. Prickett is a son of Joshua and Rebecca (Lamb) Prickett, both of whom reside at Marinette, Wisconsin. Joshua Prickett was for many years a millwright, but is now living a retired life. He and his wife have reared three children, as follows: Dora, wife of George L. Maury, of Marinette, Wisconsin; Harry, a machinist who also lives at Marinette; and Walter S. (our subject). Walter S. Prickett first came to Michigan in 1893, and engaged in logging for Miles Wheeler at Ewen, Michigan, where lie worked two years. He then spent two years in the same business, employed by J. & W. Flatt, after which he went into the logging business for himself in Northern Wisconsin, Michigan and Minnesota, making headquarters at Sidnaw, Michigan. He is now dealing in lands and timber, and breeding sheep and Angora goats on his farms. He is owner of the Roycroft Farms, whose 300 acres of highly improved and well cultivated meadows and grain fields lie upon three sides of the village of Sidnaw. The new and model sheep barns, lambing barn and hospital, and 300 feet of sheep sheds, together with the horse and carriage barns, office and warehouse, all grouped within the village limits, are among the leading attractions of the place and first to command the attention of visitors. These farm buildings are models of their kind, constructed with every modern convenience, regardless of cost, and are admirably suited for the housing, breeding, lambing, nursing, feeding, dipping and shearing of sheep and goats. The yards and corrals are almost encircled with clear trout brooks that afford superb watering places that never freeze, and with the numerous and elegant buildings occupying high, clean, dry sandy loam, is one exactly suited to the successful handling of sheep and Angora goats, of which there are now on the farm about 600 head, exclusive of the young lambs and kids. The 300 acres of improved land, from which nearly all the stumps have been taken, constitute a very small part of the farm, but in this new country, with its far reaching and magnificent stretches of primitive woodland, the farm improvements seem more like the creation of magic than the work of human hands. From Duluth to Negaunee there are no farm improvements at all comparable with them. Miles of the finest and most substantial cedar post and wire fence enclose the fields and buildings which look more like a section of some old baronial estate than a pioneer farm in the wild woods of Northern Michigan. Mr. Prickett has made his money in these northern wilds and with unequaled nerve, spirit and ambition has spent thousands of dollars in rescuing these well cleared fields from the wide waste of stump and brush lands, giving them as object lessons to the unbelieving lumber public that for a generation refused to credit this country with agricultural possibilities. He grows as magnificent crops of oats, barley, peas, rape, turnips and hay as an Englishman does for balanced sheep feeding, and here, almost on the northern border of the United Slates has solved a shepherd's problem in the keeping of a thousand mutton breed sheep in one flock successfully. His courage and tact and determination have never once failed him in what looked to be an uncertain venture. Year by year the stumps and brush disappear from new clearings, new fields are broken, enclosed and consecrated to clover, timothy and the golden hoof and fleece. While others have stood by and criticised him for the folly of spending his money in the wilds, he has made grass grow where it never grew before, and achieved success in an entirely new field of business for this section of the State. [Biographical Record Houghton, Baraga And Marquette Counties, Michigan. Biographical Publishing Company, Chicago, Ill., 1903]
PRYOR, Reginald C.
PRYOR, Reginald C. , president of the Citizens' National Bank, a stable financial institution of Houghton, Houghton County, Michigan, and a prominent civil and mining engineer, was born at Houghton in 1867, and is a son of James Pryor, a record of whose life appears elsewhere in this work. After graduating from the Houghton schools Mr. Pryor engaged in teaching for a year, later attending the Michigan College of Mines at Houghton, from which he was graduated. He then acted as an instructor in that institution during 1888 and 1889, and the following year took a special course for a year at Harvard University. He then returned to Houghton and opened an office, and has been prominent in various enterprises ever since. He was made village engineer, and served as engineer for various mines, among them the Franklin, Arcadian, Centennial and Tecumseh. He has also done much exploration work at the "Belt" and elsewhere. He has several men under him in his engineering work. He is interested in the Houghton Lumber Company, which was recently organized, and with other citizens of Houghton is an active promoter of the new town of South Range, where he is starting a hank to be known as the South Range Bank. The town is near the Baltic mine, and much building is now in progress. Mr. Pryor was active in the organization of the Citizens' National Bank, of which he is president, and to him is due much of the credit for its prosperous condition. Reginald C. Pryor was united in marriage with a daughter of Andrew Weir, of Houghton, Michigan. Mr. Pryor is one of the substantial citizens of the county, and is held in highest esteem by every one. Religiously, he and his estimable wife are Methodists. [Biographical Record Houghton, Baraga And Marquette Counties, Michigan. Biographical Publishing Company, Chicago, Ill., 1903]
Rev. Frederick Richter, lately pastor of the Holy Rosary Catholic Church at Lake Linden, Houghton County, and at the present pastor of St. Mary's of the Sea Catholic Church of Atlantic Mine, Houghton County, was born in Germany in 1867, but has been a resident of the United States since 1889. He is a son of Henry and Agnes (Trenkamp) Richter, both of whom were born and died in Germany, where the former was engaged in farming. Both parents were pious and worthy members of the Catholic Church. The maternal grandfather of Father Richter was a member of the "Old Guard" and was with Napoleon at Moscow, and after that disastrous campaign tramped back to his home in the Grand Duchy of Oldenburg, Germany.
Father Richter is one of the five survivors of a family of eight children, and the only one that left Germany. His education was acquired in his native place, and his life was spent there until the age of 23, at that time coming to America and entering the Jesuit college at Cincinnati, Ohio. After five years there, he spent the succeeding four years at Mount St. Mary's Seminary of the West, also of Cincinnati, and was then ordained priest at Marquette. Michigan, June 15, 1901. He was assigned as assistant in St. Patrick's Church at Hancock, Michigan, and was then sent to the Assinins Indian mission of Baraga County, where he assisted the great Indian missionary. Father Terhorst, being present at the latter's death-bed. From there he went to Negaunee, and on December 4, l901, entered upon his pastorate in the Holy Rosary Church at Lake Linden. Father Richter was much appreciated in that parish, and placed the churches and schools under his charge in a very flourishing condition. The church and rectory have a beautiful situation on a commanding site overlooking Portage Lake. The congregation of the Holy Rosary Church aggregates 100 families, and in the schools there are 150 children who are under the instructions of four Sisters of Notre Dame. On July 23, 1903. Father Richter was obliged to terminate his very successful and pleasant labors at Lake Linden, being transferred to Atlantic Mine as pastor of St. Mary's of the Sea. He has a grand work before him among the mining towns of the vicinity, for the population is steadily increasing and the miners are very prosperous, making the community an excellent one for missionary efforts. It is expected of Father Richter that he will build up the St. Mary's of the Sea Church, which is three years old and also organize a church in Painesdale, a new and mining town, and also build churches in the stamp mill towns of Red Ridge, Edgemere, Beacon Hill and Freda, beautifully located on the shore of Lake Superior about 10 miles west of Houghton and Hancock. Under his jurisdiction are the following towns: Atlantic Mine; Baltic; South Range, a new town in which a church will probably be needed in the near future; Trimountain; and Painesdale, all of which are mining towns that have sprung up during the last few years. [Biographical Record Houghton, Baraga And Marquette Counties, Michigan. Biographical Publishing Company, Chicago, Ill., 1903]
STANTON, Frank McMillan
Frank McMillan Stanton, is well known as the agent of the Atlantic Mining Company, at Atlantic, Houghton County, Michigan. He was born in New York City in 1865, and is a son of John and Elizabeth Romaine (McMillan) Stanton. John Stanton was born in Bristol, England, and at the present time is living in New York at the age of 73 years. He came to the United States when a small boy, accompanying his father, the latter owning coal mines in Pennsylvania. He studied engineering and at an early age took charge of his father's iron mines at Dover, New Jersey, and from 1852 to 1861 engaged in copper mining in Maryland, Virginia and Tennessee. He later developed copper mines in the Lake Superior region, and in Arizona, and gold mines in Colorado, being still largely interested in various mining enterprises. He was one of the founders and first president of the New York Mining Stock and Petroleum Exchange, first president of the Engineers' Club of New York, a member of the American Institute of Mining Engineers, and the American Society of Mechanical Engineers. His wife was born in New York City, where she now lives at the age of 66 years. They had four children, of whom the three now living are: John Robert, a mining engineer in New York City, who is in charge of the Eastern offices of the Atlantic, Baltic, Central, Winona, Michigan, Mohawk and Wolverine mining companies; Helen Louise, wife of Dr. J. W. Moore, physician and surgeon for the Atlantic and Baltic mines; and Frank McMillan, our subject. Gussie died at the age of two years.
Frank McMillan Stanton, after completing the prescribed course of study in the public schools, took a mine engineering course in Columbia College, from which he was graduated. He then became agent for the time being, at the Central mine at Keweenaw Point, after which he was appointed mining engineer for the Atlantic mine. He was appointed assistant superintendent of the mine in 1889, and agent during the same year, in which capacity he is now serving. He is also one of the directors of the First National Bank of Houghton, agent of the Baltic mine, and agent of the Phoenix and Central mines.
The Atlantic Mining Company was formed by the consolidation of the former company bearing that name, owning the South Pewabic mine, with a capital stock of $500,000, with the Adams Mining Company, whose capital stock was also $500,000. Combined the capital stock was $1,000,000, there being 40,000 shares of $25 each. About $700,000, or $17.50 per share, had been paid in before the consolidation, which took effect December 31, 1872. The Atlantic Mining Company now has a capital stock of $2,500,000, divided into 100,000 shares of $25 each. Joseph E. Gay is president of the company; John Stanton, treasurer; and John Robert Stanton, secretary. The directory includes such able men as Joseph E. Gay, John Robert Stanton, J. W. Hardley, Samuel L. Smith, John Stanton, William C. Stuart and William A. Paine.
While in college Mr. Stanton belonged to a "Greek Letter" society, and is now a member of the Sons of the Revolution, Sons of St. Andrew, Sons of St. George, American Society of Civil Engineers, American Institute of Mining Engineers, the Lake Superior Mining Institute, the Franklin Institute of Pennsylvania, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the Oneganing Yacht Club, the Houghton Club and the Miscawabik Club of Calumet, Michigan. Religiously, Mr. Stanton is a member of the Presbyterian Church. [Biographical Record Houghton, Baraga And Marquette Counties, Michigan. Biographical Publishing Company, Chicago, Ill., 1903]
STRINGER, Charles A.
STRINGER, Charles A., general agent State Mutual Life Assurance co. of Massachusetts; born, Nankin, Mich., July 27, 1852; son of Joseph and Margaret (Sinclair) Stringer; graduate State normal School, Ypsilanti, Mich., 1874; married 1st at Hancock, Mich., (Houghton Co) June 1, 1875, Elizabeth G. Nichols (died Nov. 26, 1891) ; 2nd at Hancock, Mich., Feb. 15, 1893, Jennie B. Nichols. taught school, 1874-75; engaged in general insurance business at Hancock as member of firm of Wright & Stringer, 1876-97; came to Detroit, 1898,and with brother has since conducted general agency of State Mutual life Assurance Co. republican. member M.E. Church. Member International Sunday School Committee three years and member executive committee and for several years vice president Michigan State Sunday School Association; was president and member executive committee state Y.M.C.A.; leader Business Men's Class. Club: Saturday Night. Recreation: Automobiling. Office; 614-618 majestic Bldg. Residence: 326 Putnam Av. [The Book of Detroiters Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis Copyright, 1908]
Patrick Wall, one of the best known mining and real estate men of Montana, and one whose interests are varied and extensive, has been a resident of the Treasure state for nearly twenty-five years. He was born at Hancock, Michigan, March 17, 1870, a son of Martin and Winnifred (Gleason) Wall, both of whom were natives of Ireland. Coming to America, they located at Hancock, Michigan, where the father was employed in the mines, and where his death occurred when he was about forty-eight years of age. His wife died in young womanhood, being but twenty-six years old when she passed away, leaving him with "three small sons. Two of that number yet survive. In the convent school Patrick Wall remained a student until he was twelve years old, at which early age he began work in the copper mines in the section of the state in which he was born and raised. Although but a boy in years, he was large for his age and powerfully built, and readily became a competent hand. After a few years he went to the Gogebic Range country, and was there employed in the iron mines, becoming captain of the Iron Belt mine when he was but eighteen years old.
In August, 1888, he came to Butte, Montana, and at once secured work in the mines. His first employment of this kind in Montana was in the Wake Up Jim mine at shaft sinking. Mr. Wall was employed in the mines of the Butte district until 1895, when he was made superintendent of the Ground Squirrel mine, then the individual property of Marcus Daly. In about 1897 he went to Philipsburg, Montana, to take charge of the Trout Mine, a position that he filled acceptably until he resigned to join the stampede to the Klondyke country in 1897. He entered the Klondyke country by way of St. Michaels, and was there during the great scarcity of food supplies, enduring all the hardships and privations incident to a life in a new and remote mining camp. He engaged in placer mining with great success, as his previous experience in the mining sections of the state enabled him to secure results where the inexperienced would labor under a disadvantage.
Mr. Wall's Klondyke experience, while eventful, was also highly profitable, and upon his return to Butte he at once branched out in business for himself, becoming interested in mining properties in the southeastern section of Butte, that venture being the foundation of his subsequent success. For a time he was in charge of the Grant and Hartford mine at Garnet, Montana, but the properties in which he had become interested in Butte had become promising, and his attention was now given to their development. He had originally leased a property known as the Dutton shaft, and later purchased it, adding other properties, making improvements and developments and finally combining them, forming the East Butte Mining Company, capitalized at $3,000,000. He remained at the head of this company until 1910, when he disposed of the property to its present owners. At that time Mr. Wall had numerous other mining, real estate and industrial interests in Butte and other fields, and had become interested in the real estate firm of the C. S. Jackman Company, which was succeeded by the present firm of Wall & Jackson, one of the representative real estate concerns of the city today. This firm developed the Grand Avenue addition, one of the most substantial additions to Butte's residential sections in recent years. In this project the firm built more than three hundred houses. Mr. Wall has been probably the most extensive individual owner of automatic telephone stock in Montana, his interests in these projects here including large holdings in the Butte, Helena, Great Falls, Bozeman, Livingston, Billings and Spokane systems. He was for some time a director of the Inter-State Telephone Company, and also of the Silver Bow National Bank of Butte. He has large and varied interests, whose management and care receive his personal attention. In politics, while he has always supported the principles of the Democratic party, Mr. Wall's interest is only that of a business man and a citizen, and ceases with the regular casting of his vote. He is a member of the Silver Bow Club. The career of Mr. Wall has been a highly successful one, in which he has had only his natural ability, judgment and enterprise to assist him. He came to Butte as a young man of eighteen years, a total stranger in the western country, without friends or influence, and at middle age has achieved a success that entitles him to a position among the substantial business men of his adopted city and state. [Source: the History of Montana by Helen Fitzgerald Sanders, Volume 3, 1913 - Submitted by Friends for Free Genealogy]
WHITFORD, Rev. John Buzza
Rev. John Buzz a Whitford, a prominent clergyman of the Methodist Church, a man of letters, learning and eloquence, a favorite lecturer and experienced editor, has been the pastor of the church at Lake Linden, Houghton County, Michigan, since the autumn of 1899. Mr. Whitford was born at Carharrack, Cornwall, England, October 28, 1856, and is a son of the late William and Jane (Buzza) Whitford, both of whom were also born in Cornwall. William Whitford, who was a miner by occupation, came to the United States in 1865 to follow his vocation. This he did for some time in Ontonagon County, Michigan, and then removed to the State of Maine, later returning to England, where he died in 1891, aged 72 years. He was a member of the Wesleyan Church, as was also his wife, who died in 1878, at the age of 56 years. She was a very superior woman, devoted to her church, family and home. Mr. Whitford was an accomplished musician, and this combination of character and talent gave their children superior mental advantages, which became apparent in all their lives. These children were: Mary Jane, the wife of Rev. Stephen Whitford, of Bowesmont, North Dakota; John Buzza, of this sketch; William, an official stenographer for several medical associations in Chicago and official reporter for prominent medical journals; and Eliza Ann, the widow of John Mitchell, now living in Cornwall. Rev. Mr. Whitford attended both common and private schools in Cornwall. While attending the latter he attracted the attention and fell under the influence of Canon Saltern Rogers, and under his supervision passed through a course of systematic instruction in theology and divinity. After coining to the United States in 1879 he took a four years' course in theology in California and at Helena, Montana, was ordained deacon, in 1884, by Bishop Kavanaugh. Rev. Mr. Whit ford's labors in Montana had commenced in 1880. and he remained there until 1887, being ordained elder by Bishop John C. Cranberry at Stevensville. In 1888 he came to Michigan, and in the following year joined the Detroit Conference. He remained five years at his first pastorate in the State, at Oxford. Oakland County, spent one year at Saginaw, four years at Cairo and in September, 1899. moved to Lake Linden, where he has continued ever since.
Rev. Mr. Whitford is not only a hard worker and vigorous preacher, but he is also a ready writer and is a valued contributor to The Homilettic Review, The Preacher's Magazine, The Treasury and The Pulpit, having contributed a sermon monthly to the last named journal for a number of years. He has made a diligent study of the Italian language and has given especial attention to Italian poetry. He is an authority on Italian history and literature and is recognized as an able exponent of the beauties of Dante. His three lectures covering the three sections of the "Divine Comedian" which have delivered before college and literary societies, have called forth most flattering testimonials from men of letters. On October 15, 1889, Rev. Mr. Whitford was united in marriage with Elizabeth Bowman, who was born in 1858, in Rochester. Oakland County, Michigan, and is a daughter of Stewart K. and Effie (Buzza) Bowman, both members of the Methodist Church. Mr. Whitford is a Republican in political sentiment and takes an intelligent man's interest in public affairs. [Source: the History of Montana by Helen Fitzgerald Sanders, Volume 3, 1913 - Submitted by Friends for Free Genealogy]
Richard Wilkinson, a general merchant at Chassell, Houghton County, Michigan, was born in 1843 in Dublin, Ireland, in which city he was educated at a private boarding school. Like many another successful man, Mr. Wilkinson began to be a wage earner at an early age, being only 11 years old when he became connected with a wholesale house. His wages of three shillings a week for the first year were considered quite satisfactory at that time. Mr. Wilkinson continued with this firm until he was about 25 years old, and then started from home to see something of the world. During his years of travel he followed various occupations and gained much useful experience. His first visit was to Scotland, going from there to London, where he spent 18 months. He then crossed the ocean to Barrie, Ontario, Canada, and in 1881 came over the border into Michigan. He located at Negaunee as storekeeper for some concent rating; works, later becoming an employe of R W. Reed & Company at the supply store at Eagle Mills. In 1890 he removed to Chassell and entered into partnership with his son-in-law. Mr. Mclaughlin, winch continued a year and a half. Since then Mr. Wilkinson has carried on the business by himself and was postmaster during four years of the administration of President Harrison. At the same time he was express agent and in 1899 was elected justice of the peace. Mr. Wilkinson owns and operates the only store in the town of Chassell except a company store. In the city of Dublin Mr. Wilkinson was married to Christina MacLaren, who was born at Edinburgh, Scotland, and who died at Chassell in January, 1901. Six children were born to this union, as follows: Edward James, in business with his father; Amelia A., wife of James Machlan Campbell, of California; Elizabeth J., who married Walter W. Warner; Christina, a trained nurse at Houghton, Michigan; and Mary A. and Francis, who are at home. [Source: the History of Montana by Helen Fitzgerald Sanders, Volume 3, 1913 - Submitted by Friends for Free Genealogy]
WRIGHT, Charles A.
One of the leading and most progressive men of Houghton County, Michigan, residing at Hancock, is president of the Superior Savings Bank of Hancock, president of the Superior Trust Company, and has been identified with many other of the leading business enterprises of the Northern Peninsula that have been foremost in the development of its resources. The Superior Savings Bank of Hancock was organized in 1890, the first savings bank in Houghton County, and Mr. Wright was one of its most active promoters. Its officers are: Charles A. Wright, president; Jacob Barr, vice-president; and M. C. Getchell, cashier. These gentlemen, with James R. Cooper and E. L. Wright, complete the directorate. The bank has $50,000 in capital, and a surplus of $20,000, and it is in a very prosperous condition. It was mainly due to Mr. Wright's efforts that the Superior Trust Company was organized in 1902 under the laws of the State of Michigan. It has a capital stock of $150,000, a surplus of $30,000. and is one of the four trust companies in the State, being the only one in Houghton County. The officers are the same as those of the Superior Savings Bank, and its board of directors is made up of the following prominent business men: Jacob Baer, Charles Briggs, James Cynoweth, James B. Cooper, John J. Case, John D. Cuddihy, Harry F. Fay, Albert R. Gray, Rufus R. Goodell, C. H. Hall, Lessing Karger, James MacNaughton, William A. Paine, William H. Parnall, Graham Pope, George Ruppe, Allen F. Rees, Edgar H. Towar, A. J. Scott and Charles A. Wright. This company acts as executor, administrator, receiver, assignee, guardian, trustee and fiscal agent, and takes entire charge of real and personal estates.
Mr. Wright, in 1896, organized the State Savings Bank at Laurium, Houghton County, which is being conducted on a firm financial basis. He is president of the Hancock Evening Journal Company, publishers of the Hancock Evening Journal, and has been identified with many of the successful industries and enterprises of the city, where he has resided for nearly thirty years, having located in Hancock in 1873. He was formerly for many years prominent in railroad circles, being general manager of the Mineral Range Railroad, and of the Hancock & Calumet Railway. In early years he was teller of the First National Bank of Hancock. Mr. Wright was an important factor in bringing about the organization of the Copper Range Company and the construction of the Copper Range Railroad, as the following account will demonstrate. The South Range territory was known to possess great mineral value, which, taken together with the great timber resources of the section, was thought by Mr. Wright to be sufficient to warrant the construction of a railroad from Houghton to Watersmeet, Gogebic County, Michigan, a distance of about eighty miles. In the furtherance of this idea, in 1889, he invited a number of Houghton County gentlemen to attend a meeting at his office to consider the feasibility of such a project. Those in attendance were T. L. Chadbourne, James B. Sturgis, James R. Cooper, Johnson Vivian. Rufus R. Goodell. John Duncan and our subject. They expressed themselves favorably, and the result was the organization of the Northern Michigan Railroad Company, - Jay A. Hubbell, John Daniel and Edgar H. To war joined those named above in promoting the enterprise. Each of the ten gentlemen named subscribed an equal amount and the survey of the proposed road was completed in 1890. Charles A. Wright was chosen president of the company and James B. Sturgis, secretary and treasurer. Now came the question of the road's construction. Mr. Wright made many trips and devoted much of his time toward interesting other roads and Eastern capital, and many times was just at the point of success when some unforeseen circumstance would prevent. Any man of less energy and perseverance would have failed, but Mr. Wright kept working in his tireless fashion until the means were devised whereby the road could be constructed. About 11,500 acres of land of great possible mineral value were secured as capital, and Mr. Wright conceived the idea of organizing a mining and development company which should have as an important motive the construction of a line of railroad over a part or whole of the route surveyed by the Northern Michigan Railroad Company. The rights and charter of the latter company were purchased and in March. 1898, was organized the Copper Range Company, which owns and controls the lands alive mentioned and has completed its railroad from Houghton to Range Junction, a distance of forty miles. This company was organized under the mining laws of the State, and has 100,000 shares of stock at $20 per share, paid in. William A. Paine of Boston, Massachusetts, who was one of the first to become interested in the project and advanced much capital to aid in its furtherance, became president of the company, which owns all the stock of the Copper Range Railroad Company, by which name the new road is known. Mr. Wright was general manager of this railroad during the period of its construction from Houghton to a junction with the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway at Mass City. Mr. Wright, as general manager of the Mineral Range Railroad, was also a power in promoting and building the original railroad bridge across Portage Lake, between Hancock and Houghton. In 1900 Mr. Wright erected the Wright Building at Hancock, in which is located the Superior Savings Bank, and the Superior Trust Company. It is probably the finest building of its kind in the county and faces on Quincy street. He recently sold one-half of this building to J. T. Gartner, proprietor of the only department store on Lake Portage. Our subject owns many other business and residence properties in Houghton County, and is one of the most prosperous citizens. Mr. Wright has been very active in politics, and for years was chairman of the Houghton County Republican Committee, resigning in 1902. He has served three terms as a member of the Republican State Central Committee. He was at one time a candidate for Congress from the Twelfth Congressional District of Michigan, being supported by Houghton County for the nomination in the Republican convention. Religiously he is a member of the Congregational Church. He is a man of great strength of character, and has a pleasing personality, making friends of everyone with whom he comes in contact. [Biographical Record Houghton, Baraga And Marquette Counties, Michigan. Biographical Publishing Company, Chicago, Ill., 1903]
E. L. Wright, district agent at Hancock, Houghton County, Michigan, for the Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company, of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, is one of the town's leading and representative citizens. Mr. Wright was born in 1847 in Connecticut, and is a son of Rev. James L. and Lucy (North) Wright, both families being of English descent and the North family of much prominence in the vicinity of Hartford, Connecticut. Rev. James L. Wright was a graduate of Yale College, and a minister in the Congregational Church for many years. His death took place in 1871. The members of the family, exclusive of our subject, were: J. N., of Detroit; Joseph H., who died while a member of the Federal Army, after incarceration in Libby Prison; and Mrs. Carter, wife of Professor Carter, of the Oberlin Conservatory of Music. E. L. Wright removed to Houghton County, Michigan, in the fall of 1864 to join his brother, J. N. Wright, who was at that time a clerk at the Quincy mine. For 17 years the latter was superintendent of the Calumet & Hecla mine and was a prominent man in the locality. In 1894 he removed to Detroit. In 1868 our subject engaged in a general mercantile business at Springfield. Missouri, but in 1873 he returned to Houghton County and engaged in a general insurance business until six years ago, when he sold it, and since then has represented the Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company as district agent, having a number of agents working under him. He was secretary and treasurer of the Sturgeon River Lumber Company for some seventeen years. The plant was removed to Chassell and later, Mr. Wright acted as trustee for six years, the concern now going by the name of Worcester Lumter Company. Mr. Wright has many business connections which claim much of his attention, and he is on the board of directors of the Superior Savings Bank of Hancock, Michigan, and the First National Bank of Lake Linden, Michigan.
Mr. Wright married a daughter of Rev. Barton S. Taylor, former pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Houghton, Michigan. The children born to this union are: E. T., a graduate from the scientific department of Yale College, who is now assistant manager of the Great Falls Iron Works, of Great Falls, Montana; Howard G., who is employed at the Boston & Montana smelters at Great Falls, Montana; Bertha, a graduate of Oberlin College in the class of 1903; Lucy; and Helen, a student in the Hancock High School. The pleasant family residence is situated at No. 305 Water street. For the past twenty-nine consecutive years Mr. Wright has been the superintendent of the Congregational Church Sunday-school, and is president of the Hancock Young Men's Christian Association. This institution was established in Hancock by C. A. Stringer, formerly a partner of Mr. Wright. In all things contributing to the progress and development of his section Mr. Wright has borne a part and he has been especially interested in the promotion of educational and moral development. For twenty years he has been on the School Board and by example and precept does all he can to further its usefulness. [Source: the History of Montana by Helen Fitzgerald Sanders, Volume 3, 1913 - Submitted by Friends for Free Genealogy]
BACK -- HOME
© Copyright by Genealogy Trails