Welcome
To
Huron City

Huron County Michigan

This pleasant village is located on an elevated plateau overlooking Lake Huron, and at the mouth of Willow Creek. It is the highest bluff in the county, and from it, looking down the gradual sloping fields to the lake, a most beautiful and commanding view can be taken. A long time before any permanent settlement began, the present site was occupied by transient fishermen. Some time in the year 1845, Mr. Lewis built a saw-mill, which he operated awhile and sold out to Mr. Brakeman. This man sold to Dowling & Forbes, of Port Huron,who afterwards sold out to R. B. Hubbard & Co. This was really the beginning of this town. Extensive business operations were carried on by this firm until the fire of 1871, which destroyed their mills, docks, store and the entire village. This was a great loss, not only to them but also to the township. Their flouring mill, saw-mill, grain, lumber, shingles, cedar posts, dock, and warehouses, filled with grain, were entirely consumed by the fire. They re-built again; but soon after Mr. Watson retired from the firm and Mr. Hubbard became sole proprietor of this extensive business.

Prior to the fire of 1871, the township of Huron a little way from the lake was almost an unbroken forest, containing as fine a body of timber as ever grew,— fine beech, maple, ash, elm and basswood. The manufacturing of this timber into lumber gave employment to many families, and was a source of great benefit to the village and the adjacent country. The fires of 1881 again destroyed it, leaving but one small house standing. The business was again built up by Mr. Hubbard, and the town once more is in a prosperous condition. The losses of Mr, Hubbard by the fire of 1881 alone is estimated at $250,000. About 100 head of fine cattle were burned. Mr. Hubbard handles about 30,000 in merchandise annually. In addition to this, he manufactures lumber, shingles, lath and flour. He is also an extensive farmer, cultivating some 3,000 acres of land. With this, he is breeding the Shorthorn, Durham and other blooded stock. Frank W. Hubbard is Postmaster. Daily mails each way, and telegraph communications.

F. W. Hubbard is building a cheese-factory, which will be ready for next season.

The village has a good hotel for the accommodation of its guests. Number of scholars in the organized districts is 243. There is a good school in the town. The Maccabees have a lodge here.

There is a very neat Methodist Church building at this place, which has been built since the fire; cost, $1,300. Rev. H. G. Pearsons, from Port Hope, officiates.
Portrait Biographical Huron Co 1884 Chandler Brothers Pg.453