Huron County Michigan
Paris MI - East View Paris City 1910 - Contributed by Paul Petosky
The people suffered fearfully from the great fires, particularly that of 1881, which swept over nearly the whole township. They have pretty well recovered from the effects, having good homes again, and doing well. About two-thirds of the land is now under cultivation. There are two saw-mills and one flouring mill, which supply the home demands.
The township is provided with fine schools, which are located respectively on sections 8, 11, 21, 26 and 31. This township was organized in 1861 when Donald Currie was chosen Supervisor, Alex. Currie, Clerk and Richard Evans, Treasurer. It is bounded on the north by Sigel, on the east by Sherman, on the south by Sanilac County, and on the west by Bingham Township. Parisville is the principal village, where there is a general store, kept by Wm. Engle, and a hotel by George Zinger.
A Polish school is about to be opened at this town, which will be in charge of the Sisters of the Catholic Church. The Catholics also have a Church here, which was one of the first put up in the peninsula. A new building 45 x 120 feet is nearly finished.
It was erected by Rev. Joseph Gratza. There is also a Presbyterian society at Parisville. This town has a postoffice, and the Port Huron & Northwestern Railroad runs across the southeast corner of the township.
The names of the Supervisors who have served the township are given below:
Donald Currie, 1861