RUBICON TOWNSHIP

Rubicon Township is one of the oldest settled townships in the county, and was for many years before its organization a lumbering camp. Forest Bay was, during this period, quite a town. The first meeting was held at this place, April 4,1859, to perfect the organization of the township. Forty-eight votes were cast, resulting in the election of W. D. Ludington for Supervisor, J. E. Raymond, Clerk, and John Hopson, Treasurer; A. L. Kimball, W. D. Ludington, Win. Gleason and J. B. Jennings were elected Justices of the Peace, and W. R. Stafford, John Hopson and Charles Murray, Highway Commissioners. Rubicon Township is bounded on the north by Gore, on the east by Lake Huron, the south by Sand Beach, and on the west by Bloomfield Township. It is numbered 17 north, of range 15 east. To Wm. Ludington this township is indebted for its name.

It is hard to tell who the first settler or settlers were hunters and fishermen from Sanilac and St. Clair Counties used to make it their headquarters. Later on, or about the year 1850, some “shingle- weavers,” with fishermen, came in and rendezvoused here. It was not long before the wealth which lay dormant in the magnificent forests of pine, hemlock, cedar, bass-wood, beech, maple, birch and ash began to attract attention. Transportation was easy and cheap by water. The land was bought from the Government by John Hopson, W. R. Stafford, Wm. Ludington, Haywood & Jenness, saw-mills were purchased and set up, and the great lumber industry commenced in earnest. This was about the time of the organization of the township. The felling of these giant trees, the perpetual buzz of the saw, and the sailing to and fro of the white-winged transporters of commerce, soon brought in the agriculturist. Of these first settlers a few yet survive.

The lake cuts off some of the area of the township, and it has only about twenty-three square miles. About seven square miles of this still remain uncultivated. The remaining portion is occupied by splendid farms, the owners of which are becoming independent. The land is undulating in the northern and western portion of the township. Approaching the lake it becomes more even, and, sloping as it does, gives a natural drainage. There are a few small creeks which also assist in the drainage as well as to supply water for stock. The soil is varying; in some parts it is a clay loam, and others a sand loam.

The people of this township suffered severely from the fires of 1871 and 1881, which swept over nearly the entire territory. That of 1881 left a little strip around Fort Hope, in the extreme northern portion, and about the same in the southeast corner of the township.

Rubicon is regarded as being especially adapted to the cultivation of the larger and smaller fruits, and this belief is warranted by those who have had practical experience in this direction.

There are four school districts in this township, with good school buildings and good teachers. District No. 1 is on section 26, No. 2 on section 4, No. 3 on section 18, and No. 4 on section 29. The cost of school-house in No. 1 is $800. There are forty- five scholars in attendance. School building in District No. 3 cost $950. The attendance at this school is fifty-two scholars. The school building in No. 4 cost $500, and the attendance here is twenty-seven scholars. No. 2 will be mentioned in the history of Port Hope.

This township may be ranked as among the foremost townships of the county.

SUPERVISORS.

The names of those who have served as Supervisors are here appended:
W. D. Ludington, 1859-61
James E. Haywood, 1862
James Miller, 1863
W. D. Ludington, 1864-5
James Miller, 1866-70
William Seeley, 1871
James E. Haywood, 1872
John Hopson, 1873
James Miller, 1874
Edwin Hicks, 1875
W. J. Ludington, 1876-7
R. C. Ogilvie, 1878-80
Robert Winterbottom, 1881-2
John Melligan, 1883-4
Portrait Biographical Huron Co 1884 Chandler Brothers