HISTORY
Of
SHERMAN TOWNSHIP

Huron County Michigan


Down in the very southeastern part of the county was the division known as White Rock, first organized with Sherman under the name of "White". The name was afterwards changed by special art of the legislature to White Rock and the other part of the territory was set off as Sherman. A Mr. Smith is said to have been the first settler at White Rock in 1845. The land here is flat and a sandy loam. On the site of the village fishermen and shingle weavers would camp for months at a time when they pursued their avocations. The first clerk of Huron County was a pioneer in this section, Robert Irwin. He bought an extensive salt block, which %vas established in 1871 by Thompson & Bros. John Stocks, who came in 1852 was another pioneer. He had been a soldier in the Mexican war, enlisting in 1846. Robert Mini ford was a leading merchant in White Rock, coming to that vicinity in 1860. Clarke Munford. now president of the Huron County Pioneer and Historical Society, is his son. Sherman was organized under its present name in 1865. It was settled in 1856 by John Huersanger and Joe Willy and others. The land of this township is rolling except in its northerly portion. The limber was beech, maple, ash, helmock, elm and bass- wood. The soil is a clay loam in spots and clay or sandy in other parts. The entire township was burned over in the fire of '71 and the northwest corner in '81. There are several creeks in the township, Welsh. White river, Kim and Sucker creeks. At an early date there were four schools and two churches. Robert Campbell had a fine residence in the town of Ruth as well as a general store. This town is on the Sand Beach division of the railroad. The town was formerly named Adam's Corners. It had a hotel and two saw mills. Mr. Campbell acted as express and station agent as well as postmaster and lumber manufacturer. Mr. Hanselman was one of the pioneers in this section of the county, locating here before Sherman became a township. Such men were the beginners of progress and the builders of civilization. They cleared away forests, bridged streams, opened roads, built houses and barns and thus paved the way for those who followed them. Mr. Hanselman was a member of the board of organization and the privilege of naming the township was accorded lo him. He greatly admired General Sherman and his achievements in 1869. and thus selected the name of Sherman to honor his memory on the Huron peninsula. Mr. Hanselman served the new township for 13 years as its efficient supervisor. Other settlers followed and among the names we find that of L. Tschirhart who was the fifth man to make this township his home.

To such men the log cabin was a necessity, but the first thing was to reach his location. This often meant the cutting of a path info the unbroken wilderness. In many places the ground would be soft and yielding, if not covered with water. Thick undergrowth varying with the open forest would meet the eye of the traveler and a few miles a day would be the most that could he gained. When the site was finally reached the sturdy settler with the help of the few neighbors would erect the "log cabin", his future home. The cracks between the logs of which were stopped with wedge-shaped chinks and plastered with clay. The single room was divided by hanging up quills or sheets. In this cabin the pioneer and his wife and children set up that sacred thing we call home.
Pioneer History of Huron Co MI by Florence McKinnon Gwinn 1922 Pg 36-37




Sherman Township was formerly organized with White Rock Township, under the name of White. It was organized under the name of Sherman, with its present boundary, in 1865. and was named after that illustrious general who made that now historical "march to the sea." It is situated in the southeast corner of the county adjoining Sanilac County. It is numbered 15 north, of range 15 east, with Sand Beach for its north line, White Rock its eastern, with Sanilac County on the south and Paris Township on the west.

It was settled in 1856. Joe Willy and John Huersanger are said to be the first settlers. The eastern portion of this township was burned over in 1871, and the northwest corner in 1881. Both fires were very destructive- The southeast and west portions of the township are rolling, the north flat. It has a clay loam soil, with some parts sandy. More than half of the township is now under cultivation. There is very little swamp land. It is liberally "watered " by several creeks, among which there are Welch and Elm, and White "River," as it is called. The soil is rich and it ranks high in the scale of production. The highest yield of wheat is forty-five bushels per acre; of potatoes, 350 bushels. The average yield of wheat is twenty-five bushels per acre. The fruits do well and are very seldom hurt by the frost.

There are two saw-mills in the township, which cut lumber for home markets. There is also a general store at Adams' Corners, sometimes called "Ruth," owned by Robert Campbell, who handles about $75,000 worth of goods annually. There is also at this place a shoe-shop and a blacksmith shop.

This township is well provided with schools, having four, which are located on sections 26, 29, 17 and 31. Three of the school buildings are frame and one log. There is a Catholic and a Lutheran Church.

The nearest port for the people of Sherman is White Rock, and Adams' Corners is their railroad station.

SUPERVISORS.
The people of Sherman Township from the organization to the present time have elected as Supervisors:

Michael Hauselman, 1865
L. Tschirhart, 1866-7
Michael Haulselman, 1868-73
L. Tschirhart. 1874-84

Portrait Biographical Huron Co 1884 Chandler Brothers