Winsor Township is the youngest in Huron County and the last to be organized. It was organized in 1880, from Fair Haven. The election was held on the 6th of May, Charles E. Grant, C. Link and F. Thompson were the Inspectors. John Linsen was chosen Supervisor, Charles E. Grant, Treasurer, and J. N. McKay, Clerk; William Kappen, Highway Commissioner; John Linsen, Samuel Giegcr, Adam Harder and Win. Kohn, Justices of the Peace; H. Harder, Superintendent of Schools.
The school districts are organized as follows : No. 1, on section 28; No. 3, on section 7; No. 4, on section 10.
The township is bounded on the north by Caseville, on the east by Oliver, the south by Brookfield, and on the West by Fair Haven Township. Its number is 16 north, of range 10 east. The Pontiac, Oxford & Port Austin Railroad (broad-gauge) passes north and south through the western portion of this township. The soil is clay loom, and its productiveness is of a high degree.
There is considerable swamp land, which contains, however, some valuable timber. It is watered by the Pigeon River and Shebahyonk Creek. The township contains some valuable farms and good farm buildings. An extensive limestone quarry exists in Winsor, from which is shipped a large amount of stone for building purposes. This is a most valuable adjunct to the township. A branch road from the Saginaw, Huron & Tuscola Railroad runs to this quarry. The present destination of this railroad is eastward, running across the county through Bad Axe to Sand Beach. Parties have been boring near this quarry, and it is reported that they have found a good material for grindstones.
William Holmes has a saw-mill, located near the southern line of the township, which he started in 1881. He cuts hard and soft lumber for the home markets, and is doing a good business.
A Lutheran Church has been established here, with a membership of twenty families. Services are held in a school-house in section 10, school district No. 4. It is presided over by Rev. Frederick Menke.
John Linsen has the honor to be the first and
only Supervisor elected by the township to attend to
its municipal affairs.