Mason, MI (Baptist Church) (1911) - Contributed by Paul Petosky
The Baptist Church at Mason was organized in 1839, with the following members, six in number, - viz., Wright Horton and Eliza Ann, his wife; Miss Yost, afterwars Mrs. Charles Gray; Mrs. Dunn and her son Samuel, and Mrs. G. F. Shafer. Of these the latter is the only one now living. The church was organized by Elder David Hendee, of Jackson County, a pioneer minister and a prominent organizer. The first meetings were held in the old school-house. Among the early pastors wre Revs. E.K. Grout, of Leslie; ---Rumney, Hiram Fuller (who stayed eight years), another man named Hendee, who died and was buried here; Wilder, Putnam, Robertson, P.P. Farnam (now of St. Louis, Gratiot Co.), DeLand, L.E, Spafford, and the present pastor, Rev. Daniel Baldwin. Meetings were held for time time in the Methodist church, which wa sreally built for a Union edifice, but was dedicated by the Methodists. Before that church was burned the place of meeting was changed to the courthouse, and in 1835, the present frame Baptist church was built, being dedicated in November of that year. Its orginal cost was bout $2000, which has since be greatly increased by outlays for needed repairs. The church is now free from debt, and has a membership of about 200. The Sunday-school has an attendance of 150; L. A. Shell, superintendent.
taken from History of Ingham and Eaton counties, Michigan; by Samueal W. Durant. Phila. D.W.Ensign & Co. 1880. p213
Copyright © Genealogy Trails