The earliest society in connection with
the Presbyterian denomination in Stockbridge was organizeed in 1853,
under the ministry of Rev. Sylvester Cary, with William Craig and
William S. Bird as its first officers. Its members embraced the
following individuals: Wm. S Bird, A. C. Dutton, Wm. Craig, Mason
Branch, Ira Wood, Fritz Cooper, M.D.L. Branch, Abram Turner. A.C.
Dutton was chosen as the clerk of the society. In 1854, the
organization having attained cinsiderable strength, a church edifice was
erected, whish was dedicated with impressive ceremonies on the 14th day
of February, 1855. The records indicate that the society was not
regularly organized as the First Presbyterian Church of Stockbridge
until 1867, under the pasto9rate of Rev. H. Kittridgbe, who was followed
in his ministerial labors by Rev. Seward Osengaugh, after which the
present pastor, Rev. T. B. Williams, was orgained. Its first
elders were William Craig, William S. bird, and A. A. Howard, who served
under the regular church organization. The present elders are L. P.
Reynolds, Hugh McCloy, Asa Thompson. A flourishing Sabbath-school -
union in its character - is maintained under the efficient
superintendence of A. L. Forbes. The church membership now embraces
thirty names, through the regular attendants upon it services are
greatly in excess of that number.
Copyright © Genealogy Trails