The village of
Fitchburg was named in honor of the Fitch family. In this family were
Governor Fitch, Ferris Fitch, representative in the legislature in
1852; Charles C. Fitch, register of deeds in
1884-86, representative in 1888, Ferris S.
Fitch, Jr., superintendent of public instruction in 1890. All of the
above were Bunker Hill residents, and most of them claim that place
as their birthplace.
Ferris S. Fitch, from Livingston Co., N. Y.,
settled on the place he now owns in June, 1848, when the nearest
neighbor was even then a mile distant. The locality was about midway
between the stage-routes from Dexter to Lansing, and from Jackson
(via Mason) to Lansing. Mr. Fitch was the first settler at what is
now called Fitchburg. His brother, Selah B. Fitch, who was formerly a
resident of Stockbridge, moved to the Comers in the fall of 1848, and
three or four years afterwards built a stream saw-mill at that place.
He is now deceased. About the time the mill was built the father of
the Messrs. Fitch, Hubbard Fitch, with his youngest son, Doratus,
located at the place where the latter is now living. Hubbard Fitch is
deceased. In 1848 the only post-office in the township - and it
was the first - was in the western part, in charge of a man named
Tuttle; it was called Bunker Hill.. Afterwards an office was
established in the north west part of town, called Felt, with Dorman
Felt as Postmaster; he had settled in 1847. About 1855 an office was
established at Fitchburg, with Hubbard Fitch as postmaster, and for
some time the township contained three post-offices, the name of
Bunker Hill post-office having been changed to Bunker Hill Centre.
Felt post-office has been discontinued, and those at present in
existence are Fitchburg and Bunker Hill. J. S. Sweezey is postmaster
at the latter place, having held the position since February, 1879.
Copyright © Genealogy Trails