Ingham Co MI
Stockbridge, MI (Grand Trunk Depot) (1909) - Contributed by Paul Petosky
The township of Stockbridge has a just claim to distinction in the fact that it is the pioneer township in point
of settlement in the county of Ingham. No while settler
had yet appeared within its boundaries when the earliest
emigrant traversed the oak-openings, then covered with
snow, with his ox-team, drawing upon the sled the frame of
his primitive abode. Settlers slowly followed in his wake
until 1836, when a very decided accession was made to the
population, the lands on the eastern side proving especially
attractive to land-lookers. The exterior lines of the township were surveyed by Joseph Wampler in 1824, and the
subdivision lines by the same individual in 1826. It
was designated as township No. 1 north, of range 2
east. Some years later one of the early pioneers, desiring
to commemorate the place of his nativity in New England,
suggested the name of Stockbridgc, which was adopted by
the State Legislature. The township, which lies in the
extreme southeast part of the county, is bounded on the
north by White Oak township, south by Jackson County,
east by the county of Livingston, and west by Bunker Hill
Stockbridge is watered by several lakes of greater or loss dimensions, and two considerable streams, Turtle Creek and Portage Creek. The former rises in Lowe Lake, and flowing south and southeast pours its waters into the Huron River. The latter has its source in a small lake on section 17 not dignified by a name, meandering to the southeast and then to the southwest, and flowing into the Portage River. Lowe Lake, on sections 2 and 11, is tho most considerable sheet of water, and affords excellent sport to fishermen, while Rice Lake on section 14, Bear's Lake on section 34, Jacob's Lake on section 31, and Mud Lake on section 16, are picturesque bodies of water. The surface of Stockbridge may be described as undulating. Many gentle elevations afford variety to the landscape, though level fields, presenting no obstacles to the husbandman, are prevalent.
The soil shows considerable variety, including clay, sand, and gravel, the union of which gives the township high rank as a grain-producing territory. The yield of wheat, corn, and oats is quite equal to the average throughout the county, and the quality of the products is superior. Fruit of all kinds exhibits a most luxuriant growth. On every side apple-orchards, bearing a most prolific yield of the choicest grafted fruit, are found. By their side are seen peach-trees bending beneath their burden, and the pear and cherry also find here a congenial soil.
The prevailing woods are hickory, ash, basswood, elm, and the healthy growth of oak peculiar to oak-openings. In the centre, west, and south, and in a limited portion of the east part of the township, marshy land prevails. This produces the accustomed growth of tamarack.
History of Ingham & Eaton Co Samuel Durant 1880