From "The History of Jackson County, Michigan"
This township has been so identified with
Jacksonburgh and Jackson city that very little remains to be
written in its regard. The township was organized in 1857,
and forms the northern, eastern and western boundaries of the
north portion of the city. It comprises the mining and
manufacturing village of Puddle Ford, Woodville, and Van Horn's
Crossing. The mineral resources of the township are
unrivaled. The coal and iron mines near Jackson have been
thoroughly tested, and the supply of ore is thought to be
sufficiently abundant to meet the demand for many years.
The agricultural interests are also of much importance.
Being so near the Jackson markets the agriculturists enjoy many
advantages not bestowed on those of other townships.
The title "Blackman" was given on account of
a just desire existing to perpetuate and honor the name of the
first pioneer of the county, the first settler north of the line
dividing Summit and Blackman.
A. W. Daniels, who came into the town in
September, 1830, may be considered the first settler in the
township proper; Henry Daniels and William JR. De Land, came
shortly afterward, and within a very short period every acre was
in the possession of earnest men, determined to carve out for
themselves a home in the charming wilderness.
The following biographical sketches of
early settlers and prominent citizens of Blackman township
constitute a legitimate and interesting part of the history.
Some of the residents of this township are classed as citizens
of Jackson, and their sketches are therefore given under another
CHARLES H. BEEBE was born in this
township, Jan. 20, 1842. His father, Elisha Beebe, was a
native of New York, and was born about 1813; his mother, Diadama
V., was born in New York about 1818. Her father was Major
in the Revolution. Chas. H. Beebe has 1 brother and sister
now living. He first purchased 40 acres of land in sec. 5,
where he resided five years. He sold it and bought his
present homestead of 120 acres in secs. 7 and 18, valued at $50
per acre. Politically he is identified with the National
party. May 15, 1866, he married Caroline S. Mayo, of this
township, who was born Jan; 30, 1844, the daughter of William
and Sarah Mayo, both born in Quainton, England, respectively in
1810 and 1813. Mrs. Beebe has 6 brothers and 3 sisters now
living. She has been the mother of 8 children, born as
follows: Minnie M., Feb. 14, 1867; Fred W., Aug. 25, 1869; Cora
B., Feb. 23, 1870, died Dec. 18, 1877; Roy, Feb. 18, 1872, died
Dec. 28, 1877; Max, Nov. 10, 1874, died Dec. 28, 1877; Best,
Feb. 14, 1875; Archie, March 30, 1876; Lee, Nov. 8, 1878.
Three children died of diphtheria in December, 1877, two of them
the same day.
THOMAS COLE was born in Bath,
Steuben County, N. Y., March 13, 1817, the son of James and
Diana (Bennett) Cole. His father was born in Elizabeth, N.
Y., in 1786, and died in 1850, in this township. His
mother was born in Connecticut, in 1788, and died in this
township in 1844. Thomas is the owner of 100 acres of land
in sees. 15 and 16, valued at $5,000, also owns valuable
property in the city of Jackson. He is a member of the
National party. In 1838 he married Martha Knapp, of
Jackson. They have been the parents of 6 children: Louisa
was born March 3,1844, and died Nov. 4, 1848; an infant son,
born May 23,1844, died on the day of birth; Eliza A.was born
Aug. 20, 1849 and died March 6, 1866: Charles A. was born Oct.
19, 1850, and is a farmer in this township; Ruel T. was born
March 5,1854, and is in the employ of the railroad
company. Eunice was born March 23, 1856, and is the wife
of Myron Raymond, of Blackman. Mrs. Cole was born in
Freeman, Franklin Co., Me., June 31, 1824. Her father,
John Knapp, was born in Maine, in 1792, and died there in March,
1878. Her mother, Pattie Knapp, was born in Maine, in
1796, and died in Michigan, September, 1854.
SALMON Z. CRAWFORD was born Oct.
26,1835, in Cohocton, Steuben Co., N. Y. He was the son of
Zebah and Asenath (Crouch) Crawford. Zebah Crawford was
born in Steuben County, N. Y., in 1804, and died June 23,
1877. Mrs. Asenath Crawford was born in the same county,
in 1807, and is now living in the city of Jackson. The
father of Zebah was of English and Irish parentage, and was born
in Connecticut in 1758; the mother was born about 1759.
Zebah removed to Michigan in 1837, and located in Sandstone,
where he bought 200 acres of land. His son, Salmon, first
bought 80 acres, in Blackman, in 1858, and from time to time
added to this purchase until he now owns 325 acres of choice
land, valued at $60 per acre. Feb. 27, 1856, he married
Catherine Jackson, of Blackman. They have 2 childrenóWayne
S., born Feb. 24, 1876, and Burr J., born July 1, 1878.
Mrs. Crawford is the daughter of R. D., and Anna Mead, of
Jackson. Her father was born in Clarence, Erie Co., N. Y.,
in 1817. Her mother was born in Cayuga County, N. Y., in
1820. She has 1 brother, 1 half brother and 2 sisters
living. Her maternal grandfather was a Revolutionary
soldier, and died about the close of the war. Her
grandmother died about 1860, at a very advanced age. Mrs.
Crawford's mother died in June, 1848. Mr. Crawford is a
HENRY DANIELS was born in Genesee
County, N.Y, Feb. 26,1816. His father, John Daniels, was
of Scotch descent, and was born in Connecticut in 1788.
His mother, Zilpah, nee Wheeler, was born in Cayuga County,
N.Y., in 1790, of New England parentage. In the fall of
1829 John Daniels came to Michigan to prospect for a future
home. He was satisfied that great agricultural prosperity
was assured in this State, and returned the following May (1830)
and entered 480 acres in sec. 33, now near the west line of the
city of Jackson. In the fall of that year he sent his
oldest son, A. W. Daniels, to break up sufficient land to plant
500 apple-trees, the first orchard set out in Jackson
county. He died here in 1847, and his wife also in
1852. This land is now owned by Geo. T. Daniels. In
1836 Henry Daniels took up 480 acres in the township of Rives,
which he disposed of in lots at various times, until 1844, when
he sold the last. In 1837 he bought his present estate in
secs. 20 and 29, consisting of 335 acres. Nov. 26, 1840,
he married Charlotte A. Denton, of Jackson, by whom he has had 3
children. The first of these died in infancy; the second,
John J., born March 5,1845, lives with his parents; the only
daughter, Florence A., was born Oct. 20, 1852, and died Aug. 30,
l856. Mrs. Daniels was born April 26, 1819, in New
York. She was the daughter of John and Abigail
(Woodward) Denton, and died March 10, 1859. Mr. Daniels
married, April 9, 1862, Mrs. Calista Bronson, widow of William
Bronson, of Jackson. She is a member of the Congregational
Church. Mr. Daniels has held the office of County
Superintendent of the Poor for 16 years, and has been elected to
minor offices of the town and school district many times during
a period of 36 years. Politically he is a Democrat.
John J. Daniels, resident with his father, was married May 12,
1869, to Miss Lavina A. Crawford, daughter of S. C. and Sarah L.
Crawford, of Sandstone. She was born March 28, 1851.
Two children have been born to them, as follows:óFlorence, Feb.
4, 1872, and Myron J., April 17, 1874.
JOHN FELLOWS was born in Vermont,
Sept. 8, 1830, 40 miles northwest of Burlington. His
father, Reuben Fellows, was a farmer by occupation, and a
pioneer of Blackman Township, having located his farm in
1837. He married Miss Hannah Weath, a native of Salisbury,
N. H. Coming West at an early day, and being in destitute
circumstances, they endured many privations, and the first
several years of their pioneer experience were severe.
John, being only seven years of age when they came to Michigan,
received his schooling in Blackman, and July 4, 1853, married
Miss Saediania Van Horn, the ceremony being performed by Rev.
Mr. Smart, of Jackson city. She was born Sept. 28,
1832. In 1851 he made a trip to California via the Isthmus
of Panama. He remained there until 1853, engaged in
mining, with fair success. Upon his return he commenced
farming, which occupation he has since pursued, and has
accumulated a fine property. His family consists of 3 sons
and 3 daughters.
JONATHAN H. HENDEE was born in
Vermont, Nov. 6, 1815. His father, David Hendee, was
married to Miss Caroline Harrington about 1811, at Pittsford,
Vt. They moved to Niagara County, N. Y., in 1831.
Six years later they moved to Jackson County, Mich. David
Hendee was an ordained minister of the Baptist Church, and about
1838 organized the first society of that denomination in
Jackson. He and his wife both died at the residence of one
of their children, in Hillsdale County, Mich. His death
occurred Sunday, June 14, 1869, when he was 82 years old.
His wife died some years before him. In his early manhood
he served as Ensign under command of Capt. Pratt, as guard of
the truce between Canada and the United States, where he was on
duty three months, and afterward held a Captain's commission,
and acted as aid to General Hendee, his brother. His son,
Jonathan, married Charlotte Bond in June, 1839. They have
been the parents of 5 children, 4 of whom are living. The
youngest son is in the employ of R. D. Bullock, in his branch
music store at Grand Rapids. The eldest daughter, Martha,
married Rev. Mr. Parmenter, who now lives in Charlevoix, Mich.,
acting as State missionary. Julia L. married Albert Allen,
who now lives in Jackson city. Tryphena A., the third
daughter, married a brother of Rev. Mr. Palmer, and lives in
Shiawasee County. Mrs. Hendee died in 1872. She was
buried in Greenwood cemetery, March 13,1873. Mr. Hendee
married the widow of Dr. J. A. Blanchard. She graduated at
Cleveland Homeopathic College in 1852, at the same time with her
husband. They practiced medicine in the city of Pittsburg,
Pa., about six years, going from there to Louisville, Ky., in
1858, where they remained two years, removing to Rochester, N.
Y., where they lived 12 years, and where Dr. Blanchard retired
from practice. He died March 29, 1870, and his wife came
to Jackson and entered into partnership with Dr. S. P. Town, her
brother-in-law, and was in practice about a year before her
marriage to Mr. Hendee. She has 1 daughter, Ada E.
Blanchard, who was born in Rochester and now lives with her
mother. She graduated at the high school in Jackson.
HOYT was born Jane 27,1802, in Onondaga County, N. Y.;
was the son of Louis and Elizabeth (Hoyt) Hoyt. Louis Hoyt was
born in Connecticut, Dec. 3, 1786. He came to Michigan
with his son and died in 1842. Elizabeth Hoyt was born in
Connecticut, in August, 1788, and died in New York in
1819. Jonathan Hoyt married Oct. 20, 1842, Samantha L.
Clark, of Otisco, Onondaga Count, N. Y. She was the
daughter of Chester and Anna Clark, and was born Aug. 27, 1810,
in Otisco, N. Y. She died March 23, 1881, leaving 6
childrenóTheodora M., born April 14, 1843; Lucien C, born Sept.
20, 1854; Nellie A., Feb. 12, 1846; Anna L., Sept. 6, 1848; Emma
W., Aug. 24,1850; Lillie B., Oct. 20, 1854. Mr. Hoyt
purchased, in 1837, 80 acres of valuable land, and seven years
after he sold 15 acres, leaving him 65, which he values at about
$6,000. He belongs to the Presbyterian Church, and
politically is a Democrat.
MAJOR ANSON WILLIAM JACKSON was
born in New Hampshire, Oct. 3,1773; his wife, Hannah, nee
Brooks, was born in Westmoreland, Herkimer Co., N. Y., Feb.
1,1780. His father was a soldier in the Revolutionary war,
and the family lived in Great Barrington, Mass. At the
close of the war he lived in Montgomery County, N. Y., then
moved to Onondaga County, in the same State, in 1796. A.
W. Jackson, in 1836, moved to Jacksonburgh, Jackson Co., Mich.,
locating on secs. 4 and 5 in what is now Blackman. In the
war of 1812 he was Captain of a company of minute men, and went
to Oswego, N. Y.; was a military officer till he resigned as
Major. In 1833 there was a postoffice named Wyoming, six
miles from Jackson, on the Clinton road, and Robert Jackson,
second son of A. W. Jackson, was Postmaster, which office he
held until he left the State in 1847. It was discontinued
a few years afterward. He went to Illinois, where he still
resides. Col. Jer. Jackson, the father of A. W. Jackson,
was a native of Rhode Island born Aug. 13, 1739; his mother was
Phebe Murray, of Connecticut, of the same age, a relative of
Brig.-Gen. Murray, of Nova Scotia, who fought under Wolfe at the
battle of Quebec in Canada. He enlisted as a Sergeant at
Fort Cumberland, Nova Scotia, in the English army; was at the
taking of Quebec; served his time and was discharged; came to
the States; enlisted in the Continental army with his three
eldest sonsóJohn, aged 18, Jeremiah, aged 16, and Matthew
Murray, aged 14; continued with the army till the close of the
war, and was with Washington at Valley Forge. His
discharge from the English army, and his commission in the
Continental army are still in possession of the family. He
moved to Montgomery County, lived there some years, then went to
Onondaga County, N. Y., where he died in 1809, and was buried on
his farm, with military honors. His wife survived him a
few years and was buried by his side. He owned the first
grist and sawmill in Onondaga County, known as the Jackson
Mills. Of a family of 9 children, 5 are still
livingóRobert and George Jackson live in Illinois; 3 daughters
in Michigan; Marion Jackson, now Mrs. Perrin, lives in Hamlin,
Eaton County; Phebe Jackson, now the Widow Godfrey, lives in
Blackman on a part of the homestead; Diadama Jackson, now Mrs.
Beebe, own 40 acres of the same, a gift from her father.
A. W. Jackson died June 20, 1857, in the 83d year of his
age. His wife died Jan. 4, 1842, aged 62 years.
Sophia Jackson (Mrs. Wilson) died in 1842; Eudora Jackson (Mrs.
Reed), in 1842, in New York State; Hannah Jackson died in
Jackson, Michigan, in 1845, and Anson Jackson died in Mason,
Ingham Co.. Mich., in 1853.
CHAUNCEY B. LINDERMAN was born
Aug. 20, 1836, in Newfield, Tompkins Co., N. Y.; was the son of
David and Martha J. (Stanton) Linderman. His father was
born in the State of New York, Aug. 31, 1813. His mother
was born in New York, April 10, 1816, and died there Oct. 19,
1862. The father of David Linderman was born in New York
in 1759, and died in 1840. His wife was born in
Pennsylvania, in 1763, and died in 1856. Chauncey married
Catherine Dunn, of Jackson, Dec. 30, 1867; she was the daughter
of Martin and Ann (Keena) Dunn, and was born in Liverpool,
England, Sept. 16, 1839, and came to this country with friends
when 15 years of age, and settled in Chelsea, Mich. Mr.
and Mrs. L. have 4 children livingóFrancis A., born Oct. 3,
1838; Charles H., Dec. 5, 1869; Martha A., June 10, 1872; James
D., June 10, 1872. Mr. Linderman was a soldier in the war
of the Rebellion, enlisting in Company A., 109th N. Y. Infantry,
Aug. 11, ,1862, in Newfield, under Capt. J. W. Tibbetts.
He was in the battle of the Wilderness, Cold Harbor,
Spottsylvania C. H., and Petersburg. He was wounded in
front of the latter place, and received his discharge June 4,
Jeremiah Marvin was born in Genesee County, N. Y., Oct.
22, 1805. His father, Nathan Marvin, was born in Granville,
Hampden Co., Mass., in 1786, and died in Monroe County, Mich., in
1832. He was English by birth, and was a Captain of the war
of 1812. In 1832 the family settled in Monroe County.
The mother of Mr. Marvin, Judith, nee Gates, was born in Lyme,
Conn., in 1788, and died in 1834. Mr. Marvin came to Jackson
in 1832 and bought a half interest in the milldam property, and
engaged in the lumber business. In 1833 he bought 80 acres
of land, where he now lives, adding from time to time by purchase
until the family estate is over 500 acres. In 1839 he
married Emily French, who died in 1869, aged 64, leaving no
children. In 1876 he married Jennie L. Savage, and they are
the parents of 1 daughteróEmily E., born May 5, 1877. Mr.
Marvin, while not an aggressive politician, has always acted with
the Democratic party. He is a member of the Episcopal
Church. His residence is on Lansing Avenue.
Mayo was born Aug. 17, 1810, in the village of Quanton,
Buckinghamshire, England, and emigrated to America in 1833,
bringing his wife and infant child. After a tedious passage
of 47 days, they landed safely in New York city, and proceeded
westward for Detroit via the Erie canal to Buffalo, thence by
lake. From Detroit they proceeded westward to Dexter
Township, Washtenaw County, and immediately found work on the farm
of a Mr. Goodrich, and soon after on a farm near Ann Arbor.
He afterward went to Sandstone, and worked a farm for Perrin
Moe. They remained there only one year, but accumulated
sufficient means to homestead a 40-acre lot of land, and started
for Monroe to secure it. He made his journey on foot, and
accomplished his purpose, but upon returning found his selection
to be an unfortunate one, the land being of poor quality. He
sold this newly acquired property, and invested his means in 160
acres two miles north of his former location, where he lived many
years. He is now a resident of Jackson city, where he owns a
comfortable home. He has had 14 children; 10 are still
living. He is 70 years of age, and in October, 1881, will
celebrate his golden wedding.
Scott McConnel was born in this township in 1836, a son of John S.
and Selicia McC., the former a native of Pennsylvania and the
latter of New York. Mr. McConnel, Sr., located in this
township in 1830, on the farm now occupied by the subject of this
sketch, moving his family to the place the following spring.
He died in 1865. The subject of this sketch was married in
1865; was in business with his brother, O. H., and other parties
in Jackson for some years; in the spring of 1863 he moved upon the
farm opposite the one he now owns; in 1868 he built the dwelling
he now occupies. His farm consists of 80 acres, and lies
three miles north of Main Street, in Jackson; it is worth $75 an
acre, and 55 acres are under improvement. Mr. McConnel's
principal business is raising grain, but he also deals some in
stock. When his father first came here, the country was all
a wilderness, and he boarded in Jackson (which then consisted of
but one log house, occupied by Mr. Blackman) while he walked out
to his farm every day to improve it, taking his dinner along with
him. The subject of this sketch is raising an adopted
Moffett. This gentleman's father was a native of "Thornship near
Shap," Westmoreland Co., Eng. His grandfather was a man of
great wealth, possessing an estate which had been entailed from
the period of George III. He presented his grandsons each
with 100 sovereigns, with which his descendant mentioned made his
way to America in 1826, settling in Tecumseh, Lenawee Co.,
Mich. He was 14 years old. He afterward went to
Fayette, Hillsdale Co., where he purchased 80 acres of land, and
resided until the time of his death in February, 1863. He
married Sarah English, in Lenawee County, where she was born in
1814. She still owns her husband's original purchase of 80
acres. John R. Moffett went to Missouri in 1858, where for
four years he engaged in teaching, and dealing in live
stock. He was an observer of the conflicts of opinion at the
breaking out of the war, and was a sufferer from "butternut" raids
under Gen. Price, to the extent of $8,000 worth of stock
confiscated by the Confederates. In 1862, he returned to
Michigan, attended school and taught three years. He
purchased 120 acres in Gratiot County, and lived there three
years. He built the first house in the vicinity of his farm,
putting in puncheon floors, as there were no saw-mills
accessible. He left there, purchasing 80 acres in sec. 18,
Sandstone. He remained a resident of this seven years,
removing thence to Hanover, where he lived one year, then
purchased 80 acres of land in Blackman, where he now lives.
He is Supervisor, and has held the position three years. He
has acted as Township Clerk, School Superintendent, Justice, etc.,
in the various towns where he has lived. His politics in
early life were Republican. In 1860 he voted for Douglas,
acting with the Democrats until the organization of the
Nationals. May 7, 1865, he married Emily E. Spink, of
Hanover, Mich. She was born July 4, 1841. Her father,
Paul Spink, was born in Shaftsbury, Vt., in 1802. He went
when three years old to Hampton, N. Y., where he lived until
1835. Mrs. Roxy (Harlow) Spink was born in Whitehall, N. Y.,
in 1803, and died in Hanover, Mich., in May, 1843. Mrs.
Moffett has 2 children living óCharles M., born Jan. 30, 1867, and
Roxy W., Oct. 11, 1878.
farmer, sec. 10, was born in New Hampshire in December 1807, son
of Nathaniel, Sr., and Elizabeth (Eastman), both of
Massachusetts. He was reared and educated in the place of
his nativity until 23 years of age. He married Nancy Quimby
June 14, 1829, and moved to Cayuga County, N. Y., and purchased 64
acres of land and engaged in farming. Moved to this township
in 1833, where he now lives on a farm of 240 acres bought of the
Government. He is the youngest child of a family of 10
children, all of whom are dead except 1 sister and 1 brother; both
of these are living on and near the old homestead in New
Hampshire. Nathaniel, Jr., is the father of 8 children by
his first wife (Nancy Quimby), who died May 2, 1852, aged 41
years, two months. He married Miss Clara White, January 14,
1852, in Waukegan, Ill., and they have had 4 daughters, 3 of whom
are living. His father was of English and his mother of
Scotch descent, and were among the earliest settlers of
Massachusetts. He has a clock bought by his grandfather as a
wedding present for his father; it has ticked off the time over a
JOHN W. POOL was born in the town of Stafford, Genesee
County, N. Y., May 5, 1831. His father, David, was a native
of Connecticut, and there married Maria Chapman. They soon
moved to Western New York, and from there to Michigan in 1854, and
located at Kalamazoo, Kalamazoo Co., where they lived three
years. In 1855 they removed to Berrien County and engaged in
farming until 1878, when they came to Jackson County and engaged
in the milling business with N. J. Elliot. His interest in
this business he exchanged for a farm of 190 acres on sec.
10. He was married to Miss E. Sheppard May 16, 1852, with
whom he lived until her death in 1857. Since her death he
has been twice married. His present wife's maiden name was
Fannie Riley. The wedding ceremony took place in 1864.
They have 2 children.
Mrs. A. L. Relyea is the daughter of Harvey O. and Amanda
M. (Weston) Wheeler. March 20, 1863, she was married to
Samuel J. Somerville, at Mason, Ingham Co., Mich. He was
born in Upper Canada, 10 miles north of Kingston, and moved to
Jackson County, locating on the farm where his wife now
lives. He died Sept. 18, 1873, leaving 5 sons and 1
daughter. Mrs. Somerville was married Sept. 2, 1875, to
Adelbert Relyea, a native of Cayuga County, N. Y., who was born
March 1, 1848. His parents, Jacob D. and Margaret (Van
Horn) Relyea, were married in New York in 1839, and came to this
county in 1854. By the second marriage Mrs. Relyea has 2
sons and 1 daughter. The family live on the Somerville
farm, which is owned by the widow (Mrs. Relyea) and the heirs at
law of Samuel Somerville. It comprises 240 acres, 175 of
which are under cultivation, and valued at $75 per acre.
ALFRED RUSSELL was born Dec. 22,
1827, in Covington, Wyoming Co., N. Y, the son of Solomon and
Mary (Cole) Russell. Solomon Russell was born in New York
in 1798. In February, 1836, he came and located in
Eckford, Calhoun Co., where he remained about six months, and
then bought a farm in Indiana, which he sold after some years,
and purchased 100 acres in Columbia, retaining it till the time
of his death, in 1871. His wife was born in New York in
1800, and died in Wethersfield, Genesee Co., N. Y. Alfred
Russell, soon after coming West, worked four years for a farmer
in Indiana, and returned to his father's. In 1857 he
bought 120 acres of land in Columbia, where he lived about five
years, when he sold and purchased 240 acres in Liberty. He
remained on this seven years, selling again, and buying 352
acres in this (Blackman) Township, where he now resides.
The premises are in fine condition, house new and large, and
land valued at $75 per acre. He spent the years 1864-'5
mining for gold in Idaho. On his way back to civilization
he had seven encounters with Indians. He made the route
thence via Portland, Oregon; San Francisco, Lake Nicaragua and
New York. He is a Democrat. Sept. 3, 1856, he
married Ellen Dean, of Wright, Hillsdale Co., the daughter of
Sether and Miranda Dean. She was born in West Almond,
Allegany Co., N. Y. Her father was born Oct. 8, 1800, in
Windham, Luzerne Co., Pa. Her paternal grandfather was
born in 1772, in New Jersey, and died Sept. 7, 1813, in
Bridgewater, Pa. He was a soldier in 1812. Her
paternal grandmother was born in 1770, and died in Pennsylvania,
April 16, 1835. Mrs. Russell's mother was bom May 11,
1800, in Orwell, Addison Co. (then Rutland). Thomas
Stutson, the maternal grandfather, was born in Massachusetts,
and died in Covington, N. Y., in 1844. Amelia Stutson, the
maternal grandmother, was born in Salem, Mass., and died in
1835. Mrs. Russell lost two brothers May 12, 1864, at the
battle of Spottsylvania C. H. The ancestors of Mrs.
Russell were identified with the earliest history of
Massachusetts. They settled at Bedford Harbor, now New
Bedford, and they were constantly involved in the Indian
conflicts which form so important a feature of the history of
that period. A portrait of Mr. Russell appears in this
work, on page 767.
John Satterthwaite was born Jan. 5, 1838, in Westmoreland
County, England. His parents are still living in
Lancashire, England, where his father was born in 1814.
His mother was born in Westmoreland County, in 1817. John
came to America in 1866, in the steamer City of Boston, and
landed in New York, July 1. He came very soon afterward to
this county, where he has pursued the occupation to which he was
bred. He had charge of the Walker Mine, south of Jackson,
two and one-half years. In 1872 he took out naturalization
papers, and has since identified himself with the
Republicans. He owns seven acres of land, valued at $200
per acre, and a substantial dwelling. Feb. 9,1868, he
married Jane Carver in Spring Arbor. She was born April
25, 1840, in Somersetshire, England, and came to America in
April, 1866. Her father, John Carver, came to this country
in 1874, and is now engaged in farming in Iowa. Her mother
died in England in 1860. Mrs. Satterthwaite has been the
mother of 6 childrenóJohn T. was born Nov. 28, 1868, and died
June 21, 1870; Jane E. was born Feb. 17, 1870, and died in April
of the same year; Celia, born Oct. 4, 1871; Amelia A., born
March 27, 1874; Charles P., born April 3, 1876; and Mary Jane,
born May 18, 1878, are still living.
ALVA TRUE, farmer, sec. 2, was
born in New Hampshire, Oct. 29, 1827. His wife, Celestia
Morrill, daughter of Nathaniel Morrill, was born Jan. 14,
1837. His father, John True, was born in New Hampshire in
1799, and he married Hannah Watson, of the same place, in 1823;
moved to Michigan in 1834, and settled in Blackman on 120 acres
of land; bought 80 acres of James Fifield, on which place he
lived until the time of his death, which took place July 19,
1849. His wife lived until Sept. 3, 1880, and was buried
beside her husband in the cemetery just south of their home,
which is still owned by their heirs. Alva was elected
Treasurer of Blackman Township, in 1856, which office he filled
with credit; was afterward elected Highway Commissioner several
terms, and more recently elected Justice of the Peace, which
office he now holds. In his youth he learned the joiner's
trade, at which he worked some years, and in 1865 returned to
farming, at which business he has since continued, and lives on
a part of the old homestead; he is a self-educated man, a great
reader of history and the news of the day. P.O ., Jackson.
WILLIAM VAN HORN was born Sept.
15, 1824, in Cato, Cayuga Co., N. Y. His parents were
Philip and Margaret Van Horn, who were natives of New
York. They came to Michigan in 1836 and settled in Rives,
where they purchased 160 acres of land, and lived thereon until
their death. Philip Van Horn was born July 25, 1787,
and died Dec. 31, 1841; his wife, Margaret, was born June 3,
1795, and died in January, J 860. William Van Horn bought
80 acres of land in this township, in sec. 16, and eight years
ago he bought 40 more, making in all 120 acres, valued at $85
per acre. Mr. Van Horn politically is a Democrat. He
is of Holland Dutch descent. Feb. 8, 1852, he married
Sarah Elizabeth Hoyt, in the city of Jackson. She was the
daughter of Lewis and Elizabeth Hoyt, and was born in the town
of La Fayette, Onondaga Co., N. Y. Her father was born in
Connecticut in 1784, and died in La Fayette, Sept. 23,
1842. Her mother was born in La Fayette, June 29, 1804,
and is still living, with her daughter. Mrs. Hoyt's father
was a Revolutionary soldier, and died in 1828. Mr. and
Mrs. Van Horn have been the parents of 9 children, born as
follows: Helen L., born Dec. 5, 1862; a son, Feb. 10, 1854, died
Feb. 24; Ida E., Aug. 31, 1858; Alma D., March 17, 1860, died in
April, 1861; Fred L., Nov. 8, 1862; Frank P., Sept. 10, 1864;
John K, Aug. 10, 1866; William B., Aug. 31, 1871; Archie L.,
Jan. 23, 1876.
CHARLES WOOD was born in New
Hampshire, March 17, 1817, brother of the next mentioned.
He married Sarah A. Dean, of Ingham County, Mich., March 16,
1848. She was the daughter of William B. and Sarah
(McCormber) Dean. Her father was born in Orange County, N.
Y., in 1794, and died in Ingham County, September, 1867.
Her mother was born in Peacham, Vt., in 1803, and is still
living, in Michigan. Mrs. Wood was born in Penfield (now
Webster), Monroe Co., N. Y. Her parents settled in Wayne
County, Mich., in 1831, where they remained nine years, removing
thence to Ingham County. Her father was a soldier of 1812;
her grandfather was a Revolutionary soldier. Mr. and Mrs.
Wood have had 3 childrenóCharles D. was born Jan. 17,1849, and
died May 10, 1870; Sarah A. was born Jan. 13, 1852; Frank W. was
born Sept. 13, 1854, and died in the following January.
Sarah is the wife of Newell Woodworth, of this township.
Mr. Wood is a Republican, and both himself and wife attend the
Congregational church. Mr. Wood came to this State in
1831. He lived at home until 22 years of age. He
taught school two winters. He and his brother purchased
240 acres in Bunker Hill, Mich.; in 1848 they divided the land
equally, and he eventually bought 120 more, which he sold in
1869, and purchased his present estate in this township, sec.
23, land valued at $85 per acre. He held the office of
Supervisor in Bunker Hill one year, and served as Township Clerk
eight years, and is now serving as Justice in the 2d term, in
Blackman. Mrs. Wood taught school 16 terms.
JONATHAN WOOD was born in Keene,
N. C, Sept. 20, 1815. His father, Jotham Wood, was born in
North Carolina, Nov. 7, 1786. His mother, Anna, nee
Lincoln, was born in Vermont, Jan. 11, 1792. In 1830
Jotham Wood came to this township with his family, settling on a
farm in sec. 31, where they bought 95 acres. The father
died here Feb. 26, 1862; the mother in 1854. Of this
family, 6 of 8 children are now living; they were born in the
following order: Sennia, April 27, 1814, died March 14, 1876;
Jonathan; Charles, March 17, 1817; Jotham, Feb. 28, 1819; Mary
Ann, March 4, 1821, died Oct. 7, same year; Lincoln, April 17,
1823; George, Feb. 14, 1826; Joseph 0., Feb. 28, 1828. Mr.
Wood, the subject of this sketch, married Olive J. Haight, Feb.
16, 1875, at the city of Jackson. She was the daughter of
Samuel and Phebe Dickerman, and was born in Niagara County, N.
Y., April 23, 1839. She has one brother, Isaiah, living in
this township, born May 6, 1842. Jay J., only child of Mr.
and Mrs. Wood, was born May 14, 1876. Mr. W. is Republican
in politics and in religious belief a Universalist. His
wife is a Baptist. Jotham Wood was a soldier, and
pensioner of 1812, and built the first frame house in Blackman.
LA RUE H. WOODWORTH is the fourth
son of George and Elizabeth (Mcintosh) Woodworth, whose marriage
took place in 1823. George was the son of Samuel
Woodworth, who married Sybil Danforth, and moved to Genesee
County, N. Y., where George was reared, educated and
married. After a residence of about eight years the family
came to Michigan, in 1831. The farm now held by the widow
and heirs of George Woodworth was located by him in 1830.
Five children were born to the latter in this township, and 3
born in New York, are all living and married. One son and
2 daughters live in Jackson; 2 sons and 1 daughter live in
Leslie, Ingham Co.; 1 son lives in Onondaga, Ingham Co., where
he practices medicine; 1 son in Leslie, is also a physician; La
Rue is the only farmer, and lives on the old homestead.
His brother George is a keeper in the State's prison.
Thomas is an engineer at Leslie. The father of Mrs.
Woodworth was a native of New York, Scotch by birth. Her
mother, Marion, nee Wright, was of English descent. La Rue
married Miss Diantha Sanders, of Mason, Ingham Co., in 1868,
since which time he has lived on the farm. Previously he
worked in the dry-goods house of Reed & Allen, and one year
in the hardware house of Bennett & Rice, in Jackson.
He is the father of 2 sons, both at home. The farm
comprises 160 acres. At the time of its location there was
no highway thence to Jackson, and a route was marked by drawing
a "rail cut." The old Indian trail running northwest to
Pontiac, Oakland Co., a trading post, passed in front of the
house. The nearest mill was at Ann Arbor, and eight days
were required to make the trip from Detroit. The Indians
supplied the family with cranberries and wild meats. Fish
were plenty in Gran river, which passes through the farm.
Mr.Woodworth trades to some extent in stock, though the farm is
best adapted to grain. He is a prominent member of the
order of Patrons of Husbandry.
© Genealogy Trails
All Rights Reserved with Full Rights Reserved for