Grass Lake Township
History

Line Divider


Michigan Central Depot 1909  Grass Lake Baptist Church Francisco Scherer Brothers Store
Michigan Central Depot in Grass Lake 1909          Grass Lake Baptist Church                Fransisco, Scherer Brothers Store 1910
Contributed by Paul Petosky  

From "The History of Jackson County, Michigan" 1881

     The enactment of the Territorial Council, approved June 29, 1832, erected the district now known as Grass Lake into a township.  It comprised all that part of Jackson county lying east of the principal meridian, and comprised, in surveyed townships, 1, 2, 3 and 4 south, in ranges 1 and 2 east.  The district so laid off was named Grass Lake, and the first township meeting ordered to be held at the house of Ethan Allen.  For some reason this meeting was held in the dwelling of Daniel Walker, when Ralph Updike was elected supervisor to the court at Ann Arbor; Daniel Walker, township clerk; and Joab Page, justice of the peace.
    Zerah Boynton, one of the earliest settlers of Grass Lake, thus deals concisely with the history of the town:
Grass Lake was first settled in the spring of 1829, by a squatter named David Sterling, who resided in his lone cabin one and one-half miles west of the location of the present village.  In the fall of the same year he was followed by a party from Niagara County, N. Y., comprising George C. Pease and his son, Wm. H. Pease and David Thayer, a cousin to Wm. H. Pease.      In 1830 Daniel Walker arrived from Vermont.  Mr. Walker was appointed postmaster in 1831.  Ralph Updike, John Ritchie and others settled here in 1831, so that the settlement filled up very rapidly, and in 1834-'5 nearly all the Government land was located.  The first settlers of Grass Lake were mostly from New York, and a few from the New England States,—very moral, intelligent, industrious people.

THE  FIRST  SCHOOL

    The education of their children was not forgotten.  Schools were soon organized in different parts of the town.  The people of Grass Lake felt a deep interest in the education of their sons and daughters, so much so that they saw the necessity for a better grade of study than was then to be found in the common school.  In 1838 they opened an academy in the Congregational church,— a school of high order, which was an honor to the town.  The first school-house was built of logs in 1834, between the site of the present village and Sterling's log cabin.  With this school the people were evidently dissatisfied, because, as has been stated, they determined to withdraw their children, and in 1838 established its successor, under the pretentious name, "The Academy."

COMMERCIAL  AND  OTHER  BUILDINGS

    Ralph Updike built the first saw-mill, and also the first store.  The latter was occupied by John M. Whitwell in 1834.  The first hotel was erected in the summer of 1834, by James Faukner, and opened the same season.  The houses of Geo. Watkins and Joab Page were opened for public entertainment in the spring of 1835.  The house of Joab Page was first built of logs, and afterward an addition was made to it of frame work.  This inn stood near the center of the village, as now known, and was for years celebrated throughout the Territory as the Grass Lake House.

THE   CHURCHES

    There was quite a religious element among the people; no less than three Churches were organized at that early day, namely: the Methodist, in 1832; the Baptist, in 1835; and the Presbyterian, in 1836, the latter of which was shortly afterward changed to the Congregational.  All the societies soon built churches, locating them at Grass Lake city, a little east of the present village.

THE   SECOND   COLONY

comprised James Fish, George Denmark, Elias Keyes, David Striker, Squire and Job Rice, James Courrier, Stephen Watkins, Jeremiah and Zerah Boynton, Abe Thirby, Samuel Updike, L. Warren, David Durand and Hiram Gardner.

OTHER   MATTERS

    In 1842 the Michigan Central railroad was completed through town to Jackson, and its depot established where the village now stands.  Notwithstanding the thriving business which was transacted in the old town, trade flowed toward this depot, so that within a brief period it became the center of a new village.
    Somewhere about 1844-'5 Dan Larzelere erected a flouring-mill, in which the steam engine was introduced.
    The first wheat raised in the district was that grown on the clearance of David Sterling, the earliest settler of Grass Lake.
    The first township meeting was held in a log house, the dwelling of Daniel Walker, in the spring of 1832.  Ralph Updike was elected supervisor; Daniel Walker, clerk; and Joab Page, justice of the peace.  The township was created within its present limits, by act of the Legislative Council, in 1835-'6.
    Grass Lake is situated on the M. C. R. R., 10 miles east of Jackson, and 66 west of Detroit.  The village was named after the beautiful sheet of water forming its northern boundary, and this lake was called Grass lake on account of its being almost covered with a luxuriant wild grass.  If tradition informs us correctly, the lake derives its name from the expression of a little immigrant girl when riding by it.  Beholding the grass in the lake, she exclaimed, "Oh, what a grassy lake!"  The town is generally level, and the soil well adapted to all the purposes of agriculture, being a warm, sandy loam of a most productive character.          The timber is principally oak, hickory and tamarack.
    The Indians were plenty here until 1839, when they were removed to a reservation in Iowa, and subsequently into Kansas.  A company of militia was organized at an early date, and when Governor Mason called on the people to organize, to defend their territory from the invasion of the "Buckeyes," in the far-famed "Toledo war," they went to the front.  It is needless to say that they all returned without the smell of powder passing over them.
    There are two post offices in the town at the present day, one at Grass Lake village, the other at Franciscoville, a station on the Michigan Central railroad, in the eastern part of the town.  It has several stores, a church, and some very fine residences.
Rev. E. H. Pilcher, a Methodist clergyman, while on his circuit from Ann Arbor to Jackson, preached here once in three or four weeks.  His first sermon, and the first in the town, was preached in a log dwelling owned by Geo. C. Pease, situated about one and a half miles from the center of the present village.  Since that time the congregations throughout the township have erected stately edifices devoted to the worship of God.
    The Baptist churches of the township are stately buildings, and the members of that communion rank among the most influential citizens of the township.
    The Grass Lake Congregational Church was organized, with a Presbyterian form of government, Dec. 16, 1835, with 27 members, by Rev. Charles G. Clark and Henry Root; a frame church was erected.  Rev. John M. Ellis was its pastor from its organization until the spring of 1839, when the ill health of his family compelled his removal.  To him in the fall of the same year succeeded, as stated supply, Rev. L. M. S. Smith, from October, 1839, to April, 1842.  His successor was Rev. Thomas Jones, in May, 1842, under whom, June 3, in the same year, the government of the Church was changed to the Congregational form.  Mr. Jones' ministry continued for about six years.  Rev. D. M. Bardwell succeeded him as a stated supply in the year 1848, for a year or two, and after him came Rev. John Patchin, during whose ministry the new church was built and dedicated, Rev. James A. Hawley, of Jackson, preaching the dedication sermon.  Mr. Patchin was installed pastor of the Church in October, 1853, and at his own request was dismissed in the autumn of 1853.  In January, 1856, a call was extended to Rev. Wm. E. Catlin, to become their minister.  The call was accepted, and he entered upon his labors, and continued with the Church in the discharge of ministerial duties for two years.
    In February, 1855, Rev. Alanson Alvord was employed by the society as stated supply for one year.
    In April, 1859, Rev. E. W. Borden was invited to preach for a given time.  At the expiration of six months, being requested by vote of the society, he consented to continue his ministry through another year, as stated supply, and labored with the Church until 1861.  For more than a year from this the Church was without regular preaching.
    In March, 1862, Rev. M. R. Gelston commenced, and continued until 1863.  In October following Rev. Henry Bates accepted a call to the pastorate, and after a ministry of three years closed his labors December 30, 1866.  During the next two years the pulpit was mostly unsupplied.
    Rev. S. S. Hyde was employed in January, 1868, and continued until the following October.  He was followed by Rev. Thomas Towler, who remained with the Church from May, 1869, to May, 1871.
    The Church extended a call to Rev. George Williams, December, 1871, which he accepted, and remained with the Church three years.  During his ministry the present church edifice was commenced, and dedicated during the ministry of Rev. L. R. Royce, who commenced May 1, 1874, and closed 1875.
    The next June the Church extended a call to Rev. F. W. Dickinson, who commenced labors Aug. 1,1875, subsequently to Rev. W. G. Roberts, and again to Rev. Mr. Patchin, the present pastor.
    The society first met for worship in a log school-house west of the present village, and there gathered its first Sabbath-school.
    In 1836 the first frame meeting-house was built at what is known as the Center,where it was expected would be the village of Grass Lake.  This building cost $500, and was for that time a goodly house, capable of seating 150 persons.  There was no formal dedication, but the house was occupied for worship in January, 1837, and was free from debt.  After the society was through with it, it was sold to Deacon Adams, who used it as a barn.
    But Grass Lake village went westward to its present situation for railroad conveniences, and when, in 1852, it became necessary to have a new church building, the society followed the village, and built on Church street a more commodious edifice, costing $2,500.  This house was in size 40x60, and would accommodate about 300 persons.  In 1852 the dedication sermon was preached by Rev. A. Hawley, of Jackson.  After the dedication a debt of $300 was met by a sale of the slips.  The church was furnished with a bell costing $300, which is now in the Congregational meeting-house at Michigan Center.  This building and lot are at present the property of the society.
    The corner-stone of the present church building was laid with appropriate ceremonies Aug. 2, 1873.  The building was ready for use, including all its furniture and adornments, and was dedicated Oct. 29, 1874, by Dr. Eddy, of Detroit, assisted by Rev. Moses Smith, of Jackson.  It cost $11,000, and has 450 sittings, and a debt of $500.  It is 40x68 in size.  It is furnished with a bell, and modern conveniences.
    A meeting of pioneers was held at the residence of James Welch, Grass Lake, Christmas evening, 1873, at which the following named old settlers were present:—James Welch came to Michigan in 1824; William Birch, in 1837; Abraham Sidmore, in 1836; E. Taylor,in 1836; B. Cook, in 1837; P. M. Shearer, in 1844; A. Updike, in 1827; Jackson Simpson, in 1835; Milo K. Craft, in 1849; Chester Du Bois, in 1848; F. Boynton, Peter Smith, 1830; Joseph Taylor, 1840; Samuel Updike, 1835; D. D. Eddy, 1862; J.W.Taylor, 1839, and S. S. Welch, 1834.
    The elections of 1880 in the township were characterized by a party earnestness, and yet carried out in a spirit of friendliness.  The following is the result:—Electors—Hancock, 193; Garfield, 260; Weaver, 32.  Governor—Jerome, 258; Holloway, 191; Woodman, 33.  Congress—Lacey, 262; Pringle, 159; Hodge, 61.  Senator—Goodwin, 262; Wilson, 192; Palmer, 29.  Sheriff— Lockwood, 247; Winney, 126; Terry, 26.  Judge of Probate— Gould, 259; Powell; 186; Anderson, 38.  Prosecuting Attorney— Sharp, 254; Barkworth, 143; Hewlett, 85.  Representative—Yarrington, 256; Bunker, 207.

GRASS   LAKE   VILLAGE

    first started up as a village in 1842, at the time of the completion of the railroad.  There are now two hotels, four dry-goods stores, two hardware and two drug stores, two millinery establishments, a grocery and four saloons; three churches, Baptist, Methodist and Congregational, all of which have good houses, two of which were erected quite recently.  The school building was erected in 1863, is well adapted to school purposes, and is in every sense a very fine building.  Grass Lake has about a thousand inhabitants.  The mineral water-cure that has lately been established in the eastern part of the village is proving quite an attraction to people from abroad, who are flocking into the town from all sides, for the purpose of trying the benefit of its waters.  The lake, from which both village and town are named, is a beautiful sheet of water in the north of the village, and is quite a resort in summer for sailing parties.
    The town hall is 36 feet wide by 80 long, and 20 high.  There is a double door and two large windows in front, three windows on each side, and a double window in the rear.  Inside the door is a hallway 10x12 feet, leading into the main hall. On each side of this hall-way is a room 12 feet square to be used as township offices, over which a gallery extends 12x36 feet.  The main hall is 36x52 feet.  A stage is erected in the rear 16x36 feet, with basement underneath for dressing-rooms.  The stage is three and a half feet high, has a frontage of 18 feet, leaving nine feet on each side for scenery rooms.  The basement has a door on each side, and two windows in the rear.  The building is covered by a half-pitch shingle roof.  This building is a better hall than any other town in the State no larger than Grass Lake can boast of being, and one which the taxpayers of the township will not regret having helped to build.
    C. Calley, of Grass Lake, erected in January, 1880, a furniture factory, which he expects to have in operation early in the season.  The building is enclosed, and the boiler and engine have just been put in place, as have been also other portions of the machinery.  The establishment will give employment to quite a number of workmen.
    The artesian well at Grass Lake, on which work began in the fall of 1879, after having reached a depth of 125 feet, was abandoned.  Sixty feet of this distance was drilled through solid rock, and while the water does not flow, it rises to within eight feet of the top.  The drill which was broken off in the well, together with a portion of the shaft to which it was attached, after several days' effort was secured and withdrawn.
    The stores of the village, its few manufactures, are all conducted on first-class business principles.  In the personal sketches the principal merchants, manufacturers and professional men of the town and township will be duly noticed, and the industries which they aided in building up reviewed.
    Zion Lodge, No. 115, I. O. O. F., was organized Feb. 18, 1868, with O. F. Pease, J. H. Jenks, H. B. Hale, H. H. Capron, J. Conklin, D. M. Price and C. B. Royen as charter members; and as officers: O. F. Pease, N. G.; J. H. Jenks, Y. G.; A. Shelly, RS.; C. H. Gates, P. S., and H. B. Hale, Treas.  The Past Grands have been: O. F. Pease, J. H. Jenks, C. H. Gates, Jno. Malnight, I. H. Remington, Abram Shelly, H. H. Capron, C. F. Weiser, T. J. Bowen, J. G. Clark, D. B. Walker, Henry Giltner, O. D. Vandeboget, John Askew, W. H. Deavenport, H. C. Palmer, A. S. Grosvenor, and Wm. M. Giltner.  The present officers are: Edward Ritter, N. G.; Abel Baldwin, V. G.; D. B. Walker, R. & P. S., and A. Grosvenor, Treas.
Lake Encampment, No. 8, was instituted Jan. 28, 1880, with A. Shelly, D. B. Walker, John Malnight, Henry Giltner, James G. Clark, Abel Baldwin and J. H. Jenks as charter members.  First officers: John Malnight, C. P.; A. Shelly, H. P.; Abel Baldwin, S. W.; II. Giltner, J. W.; D. B. Walker, Scribe and P. S., and J. G. Clark, Treas. Present officers: D. B. Walker, C. P.; Abel Baldwin, H. P.; A. Shelly, S. W.; H. Giltner, J. W.; Wm. M. Giltner, Scribe and P. S., and A. Grosvenor, Treas.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES

    By way of continuation of the history of Grass Lake township and village, we here append personal sketches of many of the more prominent early settlers and other citizens.

    Mrs. Olivia M. ADAMS was born April 23, 1815, in Worcester County, Mass.; her father was Jonathan B. Keith, and mother, Sarah (Page) Keith. She received her education in the common schools of the district, and graduated at one of the select schools; she taught during four terms.    She married Edwin Adams Nov. 4, 1839, who was born in 1812.  Mr. and Mrs. Adams have had 5 children, 2 of whom are living—Ada E. S., who was born Sept. 8, 1842, now Mrs. M. E. Dawson, of Ottawa, Kansas; and B. K., born Reb. 24, 1847, now living at Toledo, Ohio.  Immediately alter marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Adams traveled West and settled ultimately on the South Plains near Grass Lake.  Their lands were entered in 1834 by Mr. Adams, who, with his brother, was the first to drive a team over the road running north and south through that section.  He was a charter member of the Congregational Church, was Clerk, and filled many important offices in the Church and municipality up to the period of his death in 1866.  Mrs. A. has done much in the interest of society, and won the respect of all with whom she has become acquainted.

    Samuel ADAMS was born in Monroe County, Mich., March 10, 1814, and is the eldest son of John and Patience (Harrington) Adams, of New York, both of English ancestry.  He attended the common schools in Monroe County until about 15 years of age.  His mother moved to Grass Lake about 1830, and located upon the site of the present home, followed by Samuel in 1833.  He resided with his mother until going to Boone County, Ill., in 1842, where he entered 160 acres of land, intending to locate there.  Upon the death of his stepfather, Adam Overrocker, in 1842, he returned to the old homestead and took charge of the farm, and assumed the responsibilities of the family until the death of his mother, which occurred Aug. 29, 1871.  She was an early settler of Grass Lake Township, and was the mother of 1 daughter, now Mrs. Ann Davidson, of Grass Lake.  After his mother's death, Mr. Adams continued to conduct the farm with hired help, where he has since resided.  He moved from a log house into his present residence about 1860, and owns 80 acres of land well improved.

    Geo. W. BOWEN was born Oct. 16, 1832, in Oneida County, N. Y., and is a son of Thomas J. and Hannah (Harkness) Bowen, of Vermont; his father was Captain of a boat plying in the Eastern waters, which occupation the son followed until 1853, when he married Marette E. Vroman.  They are the parents of 3 children, viz.: Floyd Eugene, born Jan. 10, 1854; Lemuel W., July 22, 1858; and Jennie E , Dec. 29, 1861.  Mr. Bowen, with his family, resided in his native State until 1865; when traveling West, he settled at Grass Lake, and established a cooperage.  His losses resulting from fire have been serious and numerous; in the spring of 1878 his mill was burned.  He manufactured as many as 25,000 barrels in one year.  For eight years he was a member of the common council of the village, and in other respects won the confidence of his fellow citizens.

    George BUNKER was born Sept. 11, 1831, in Saratoga County, N. Y., second son of John and Lavinia (Hall) Bunker, of Connecticut.  He came with his parents to Grass Lake in 1836, and attended the common schools of the district until he was 19 years old, when he took a position on the M. C. R. R., and ultimately became conductor.  In 1853 he married Miss Mary Bunker, of Seneca County, N. Y., a lady one year his senior.  In 1870 he returned to Grass Lake and resided on his farm until April, 1880, when he purchased the Bowen homestead on Lake street, where he now resides.  Mr. Bunker is a Universalist in faith, and liberal in his social, political and religious dealings.

    Mrs. Lavinia BUNKER, mother of the preceding, was born in Connecticut, Nov. 29, 1805, the daughter of Samuel P. and Mary (Cook) Hall.  With her parents, she removed to Saratoga County, N. Y., in 1819, where she received a fair education for those days; remained under the parental roof until her marriage with John Bunker, Nov. 29, 1826.  She remained in New York some 10 years after marriage, and in 1830 came to Michigan, locating in Grass Lake, which was at that time a wilderness.  Mr. and Mrs. B. were the parents of 6 children, 3 of whom are living—Samuel, born Feb. 27, 1829, a prominent farmer of Grass Lake; Joel, born July 9, 1838, and died June 15, 1864; Aaron, born May 30, 1842, and died Nov. 3, 1877; and George.  Mr. Bunker, Sr., was one of the pioneers of Jackson County, a prosperous and successful farmer, but an invalid for some years previous to his death, which occurred July 5, 1877.  Mrs. B is a consistent member of the Baptist Church in Grass Lake.

    Jonathan CADY, a well-known farmer and stock-raiser of Grass Lake, was born in Chatham, Columbia Co., N. Y., Aug. 14, 1811.  His parents were Sylvester and Polly (Crego) Cady, natives of New York State, and of New England ancestry.  Jonathan acquired a fair education, but the death of his father occurring suddenly, terminated his prospects for receiving a more liberal advancement.  He resumed the responsibilities of the farm until coming to Michigan in 1836, when, in connection with his brother, he purchased a place two and a half miles southeast of Grass Lake village, where he lived with his mother and sisters for many years.  He purchased his present homestead in 1846.  A little improvement had been made, 40 acres cleared, a log house built.  He owns 210 acres of land on the South Plains, Grass Lake, where he built a fine family residence in 1858.  Mr. Cady was married Sept. 28, 1849, to Miss Martha S. Price, born in Ossian, Allegany Co., N. Y., Aug. 13, 1828, the daughter of Joshua Price, a pioneer of this county, who died in December, 1872.  Mrs. Cady's mother is living in Grass Lake, in the 91st year of her age.  Mr. and Mrs. Cady have had 5 children, of whom 4 are living, namely: Carry L., born Sept. 28, 1850, now the wife of Chas. Calley, of Grass Lake; Albert O., born Dec. 28, 1852; Emma Jennie, born Jan. 1, 1862; Henry Dwight, born Nov. 16, 1864.  Mr. Cady has always declined to accept official positions, and is an esteemed citizen of the county.  Mrs. Cady and several of the family are members of the Baptist Church.

    Dr. E. B. CHAPIN was born in Ontario County, N. Y., July 22, 1835, son of Samuel and Eliza (Armstrong) Chapin, natives of New York State; the latter is now residing at Grass Lake, and has reached her 77th year.  The Doctor attended the common schools of his district until 1852, when he came to Michigan with his parents, and entered the State Normal school, where he studied for many years.  He was married March 17, 1857, to Ursula S. Updike, who was born Dec. 1, 1836, at Grass Lake.  They are the parents of 2 children, viz.: Mary Adella, born Aug. 24, 1861, and Lon Ella, born June 26,1864.  In 1860 Mr. Chapin commenced the study of medicine under Abram Sager, of Ann Arbor; graduated March, 1863; located at Grass Lake, and began his professional career.  His services as Assistant Surgeon with the 11th Mich. Inf., and his attendance upon the sick and wounded in the military hospitals, fitted him for the responsible position he now occupies.  In 1874-'5 he attended lectures at the medical colleges of New York city, and took post-degree at Bellevue hospital.  He is a member of the Baptist Church, of the State Medical Society, and also of the American Medical Association.

    Elizur W. CLARK was born Oct. 29, 1809, in Chittenden County, Vt.  His parents were Walley and Mary (Wheelock) Clark.  Mr. C. came to Michigan in 1833, and his brother George came in December following; they entered 320 acres of land where they now reside, and afterward purchased more; they built a log house and resided there for a number of years.  He was married Nov. 30, 1834, to Margaret E. Walker, daughter of Daniel Walker, an early settler of Grass Lake, born May 29, 1815; they have had 8 children, viz.: Alson S., born March 6, 1836, a resident of California; John W., Sept. 29,1837, died January, 1864; Daniel W., Oct. 24,1839, now in the mercantile business in Grass Lake; Mary Maria, Sept. 2, 1841, now Mrs. Van Houton, of Grass Lake; George Harvey, Dec. 5, 1843, in the mercantile business in California; Wm. H., July 20, 1846, living with his parents; Charles Henry died in 1853, and Benjamin F., March 18, 1853.  Mr. Clark erected his present dwelling in 1846, where he has since resided.  He raised 1,500 bushels of wheat in 1880, and keeps about 300 sheep.  Mr. and Mrs. C. are worthy members of the M. E. Church; he is a Trustee of the same.

    James CLARK, born in Seneca County, N. Y., in 1804, is the oldest son of John and Mercy (Swick) Clark, and is of Irish-Dutch descent.  The educational facilities of the early years of this century were far different from those employed by the generation of the present day.  Such as offered were improved by the subject of this sketch, who was reared on his father's farm, where he continued until his marriage with Miss Mary Swick, March 16, 1826, who was born in Seneca County, N. Y., May 14,1806. This union was blessed with 14 children, of whom 5 daughters and 3 sons survive, viz.: George V., born Aug. 24, 1831; Nancy T., Dec. 18, 1836, now Mrs Flegler, of Chelsea; Mary Jane, July 1, 1840, now the wife of Geo. Greenwood, of Napoleon; Amelia Y., Jan. 10, 1843, resident of Grass Lake; Adeline and Caroline (twins) were born Sept. 10, 1844, the former now Mrs. Henry Hines, the latter Mrs. Edwin Hines, of Solon, Washtenaw Co.; James G., born Aug. 1, 1846; and O. Scott, Dec. 26, 1848. Mr. Clark resided in New York State until the summer of 1856, when he located in Sylvan, Washtenaw County, where he purchased an improved farm.  He was Justice of the Peace for nine years during his residence in that county, filling that office up to the time of his removal to Grass Lake, October, 1867.  He purchased the Ira Watkins farm, one mile south of Grass Lake village, owns 140 acres of choice land, and is a successful farmer and stock-raiser.
    Mr. and Mrs. C. are very vigorous in their declining years.  March 16, 1876, they celebrated their golden wedding, which was a joyous affair; all of their children and 17 of their grandchildren were present.

    E. L. COOPER, eldest son of the next mentioned, was born in Grass Lake April 14, 1841.  His education has been quite a liberal one; during his youth he was a constant pupil at the district schools until old enough to enter the Leoni Commercial Institute, where he remained for two years.  He continued to reside with his parents, devoting his attention to agricultural pursuits, until his enlistment in the 11th Mich. Vol. Inf., in which regiment he served until the close of the war, and was mustered out at Detroit in 1865, after which he returned to the home of his parents.  Dec. 16, 1865, he was married to Hannah L. Peckens, and went to Ingham County, where he purchased a farm, conducting the same until the death of Mrs. Cooper, which event occurred in 1872.  He soon after returned to Grass Lake and commenced the mercantile business in Francisco.  He was married Dec. 10, 1872, to Mrs. Ada. A. Johnson; they are the parents of 3 children, as follows: J. Monroe, born May 12, 1877; Hiram Lloyd, December, 1878, and Ethel E., June, 1880.  Mrs. Cooper, at the time of her marriage with Mr. C, was the mother of 1 son, Albert L. Johnson, now residing with his parents at Grass Lake.  Mr. Cooper continued the mercantile business in Franciscoville until December, 1878; while there he was Postmaster and Station Agent.  He removed to Grass Lake in May, 1879, purchasing one-half interest in the mercantile business of Dwelle & Hobart, which business is now conducted by Messrs. Cooper & Johnson, extensive dealers in drugs and medicines, paints and oils, groceries, books, stationery, etc.  Mr. C. is now Assistant Postmaster.

    Samuel W. COOPER was born in Rutland, Jefferson Co., N. Y., Feb. 26, 1816, and is the son of Samuel W. and Lois (Cooper) Cooper, of New England birth and English descent.  The family removed to Canada in 1818, where Samuel W. improved such educational opportunities as the schools of the country afforded at that period.  He was reared to farming occupations, remaining with is mother until reaching the age of 20; in the spring of 1838 he came to Jackson County, Mich.; about 1840 he purchased a place, and March 31, of the same year, was married to Harriet Boyer, born in Oneida County, N. Y., in 1822.  To this union was born 2 sons, only 1 living—E. L.  Mr. Cooper occupies the original premises purchased by him in 1840, upon which he erected, in 1868, the present handsome and commodious family residence.  He has been twice married; the first wife died in April, 1843, and Jan. 1, 1844, he was married to Miss Maria Boyer, born in 1820.  They are the parents of 7 children, 1 daughter and 6 sons, as follows: Samuel W., born Jan. 29, 1845; Elisha F., Sept. 29, 1846; Sylvia P., Feb. 10, 1848; W. H. H., Oct. 25, 1849; Ancil L., Sept. 16, 1851; De Lancia, Aug. 31, 1853.  Mr. C. was largely instrumental in erecting the fine school-house east of his residence in Washtenaw County, and is a member of the Congregational Church.  Mrs. C. belongs to the Christian Church; other members of the family are worshipers in the M. E. Church at Franciscoville.

    Solon S. CLARK, born Jan. 25, 1817, in Yates County, N. Y., is a son of William and Fanny (Metcalf) Clark.  He received a fair education, after which he followed the calling of the agriculturist.  He married Miss Elizabeth A. Nelles, of Herkimer County, N. Y., in 1838, by whom he had 2 children—William, born Aug. 11,1842; and Mary Elizabeth, born Nov. 20, 1846, now Mrs. H. T. Bush.  He continued his labors on the homestead farm for six years after marriage, and in 1844 migrated to Michigan, where he located on South Plain, in Grass Lake Township; in 1879 he moved into Grass Lake village.  Mr. Clark has been Justice of the Peace for the past 18 years, and is one of the prominent citizens of this place.

    Orre COPPERNOLL was born in Otsego County, N. Y., June 30,1817, the oldest son of Peter and Margaret (Herkimer) Copernoll, natives of New York State, and of German descent.  Mr. C. was the recipient of a common-school education, followed farming until the age of 18, then with his uncle, Peter Herkimer, came to Michigan in 1836.  He served an apprenticeship of three years learning the trade of millwright; worked at that business in various places in this State; afterward became a carpenter and builder, and erected many of the finest residences in Grass Lake; this business he continued jointly with farming until 1870.  Mr. C. was married Feb. 5, 1840, to Miss Hannah M. Torrey, born in Hamilton, Madison Co., N. Y., in 1819; their children are as follows: Lydia M., born June 23, 1844; Burton F., Feb. 16,1847; Lyman B., Nov. 28, 1848; Sidney O., Sept. 10, 1852.  Mr. C. owned a farm in Monroe County, Mich., where he lived until the spring of 1852; he then purchased the Frisbee farm in this township, on which he has since resided and is comfortably situated. Himself and Mrs. C. are worthy members of the M. E. Church.

    C. C. CORWIN, born Aug. 31, 1855, in Niagara County, N. Y., is a son of C. R. and S. M. (Wilson) Corwin; the family came to Michigan in 1872, purchased land in this township, and located there the same year.  Mr. C. C. Corwin attended the schools of Grass Lake for three years, taught school during four winters, and in 1874 entered trade as a lumber man; the year following he purchased the business of William Winegar; in 1877 a planing mill was gotten up by him, and in 1878 the cider-mill, jelly factory and feed-mill were put in operation.  The cider-mill produced 3,500 barrels of cider, and the jelly factory 6,000 gallons of apple jelly in 1880.  His father took a prominent part in the municipal transactions of his day, and was otherwise a most useful citizen.

    Amos A. CURTIS was born Nov. 17, 1836, in Monroe County, N. Y.  His parents were David and Sylvia (Hall) Curtis, natives of Connecticut, and of English descent.  He was reared on a farm and educated in the common school; he came to this State with his parents in 1853, and located on what was known as the James Dwelle farm; he remained with his parents until his marriage, which occurred Feb. 19, 1863, with Miss Lorenda J. Otis, born May 16,1836, in Leoni, daughter of James H. Otis, an early settler of that township.  They are the parents of 3 children viz.: Laura Ann, born April 19, 1864; David O., April 11, 1866, and Wm. L., Nov. 13, 1868.  After his marriage he removed to the old homestead of his father's, in Leoni, which the former purchased in 1863, and where they have since resided.  He built a very comfortable residence in 1865.  Mr. and Mrs. C. are members of the Baptist Church.

    John R. DAVIS, an old and well-known resident of Grass Lake, was born Dec. 24, 1809, in Ulster County, N. Y., eldest son of Samuel and Mary (Rogers) Davis.  He received such education as the district school of his neighborhood offered, and was reared to farming pursuits.  In 1837 he was married to Sarah Short, born Oct. 7, 1817.  Of their 9 children, 6 are now living, as follows: Marquis D. L., born April 30, 1838; Martha, July 19, 1840, now Mrs. Wm. N. Sherman, of Ottawa, Kan.; Mary A., April 24, 1844, now the wife of Spencer Pierce, of Grass Lake; Lucinda, Nov. 16, 1852, now Mrs. Sumner Fisk, a resident of Grass Lake, and Madison, Oct. 4, 1855, now a resident of Washtenaw County.  Mrs. Davis died Feb. 14,1856, a member of the M. E. Church for many years.  Mr. D. located in Grass Lake in the spring of 1840; worked the farm of Benjamin Longyear, on shares, for 12 years; bought the farm where he now lives in 1852.  David N, the oldest son of the subject of this sketch, was born July 1, 1846.  He was united in marriage Feb. 4, 1870, with Miss Annie Grant, born in Washtenaw County, in 1850; to this marriage were born 3 children—M— A., born Nov. 18. 1870; Dellie E., Oct. 8, 1872, and Walter E., Nov. 20,1874.  David N. died Jan. 29, 1878.

    Mrs. Orpia DAVIS was born April 4, 1807, in Madison County, N.Y., and is a daughter of John and Deborah (Foster) Pomeroy, of Connecticut.  She was educated in the common schools of the district, and afterward passed one year at the Hamilton Academy; she taught school for five summers, and was married in September, 1835, to Robert Davis, an Eastern farmer, born in June, 1808.  Mrs. Davis is the mother of 2 children, viz.: Jos. C, born Jan. 12, 1840, deceased June 8, 1871; and Roanna, born Jan. 17, 1837, now Mrs. I. Longyear.  Mr. D. came West immediately  after marriage, driving his own vehicle through Canada; arrived at Grass Lake village and entered 160 acres three miles southeast, where he resided until 1851, when the family moved into the village.  Mr. Davis and his son-in-law, Mr. Longyear, died in 1869.  The former was a merchant in Grass Lake until the period of his death, a man of excellent habits and comparatively successful in each business he had undertaken.

    Mrs. Emily M. DWELLE, born March 20, 1820, is the daughter of Thomas and Huldah (Price) Elliott, who located in Napoleon Township in 1832.  She was liberally educated; taught school in Napoleon and Grass Lake.  She married James Dwelle Oct. 28, 1845, who was born in Connecticut Feb. 13, 1813; was a farmer in that State, and on coming to this State in 1840 farmed for many years; entered commercial life as a storekeeper, and shared in the confidence of the people; was Supervisor of this township for several terms, and President of the village at the time of his death, Nov. 2, 1876.

    Hiram FISH was born Oct. 13, 1804, in Seneca County, N.Y., eldest son of James and Sally (Chapman), of the same State, and of English ancestry.  He received a common-school education; was brought up on a farm until the loss of his limb, at 21 years of age, compelled him to seek an occupation adapted to his condition.  He learned the shoemaker's trade, commenced business for himself, and conducted it there and elsewhere for some 20 years.  The loss of his limb was occasioned by a white swelling.  Mr. F. was married in 1841 to Miss Sarah Ann Fish, born in Watertown, Jefferson Co., N.Y., about 1817.  Mr. F. settled in Clyde, NY., after marriage, and engaged in keeping a hotel and grocery on the Erie canal for about three years, after which he resumed the shoemaker's trade in Oak's Corners, Ontario Co., N.Y., for the same length of time; he then purchased a farm in Wayne County and conducted the same seven years, connected with shoemaking.  In March, 1849, he sold out his interest in Wayne County and came to Michigan, locating in Sharon, Washtenaw Co.; bought an improved farm of 110 acres and resided there seven years; was a successful farmer.  In February, 1859, he removed to Grass Lake Township, locating in Francisco, the site of his present home.  He made many improvements, including his residence, barn, etc.  He belongs to no denomination, but aids in all charitable and benevolent institutions.

    James FISH, one of the pioneers of this county, was born in Cayuga County, N. Y., July 1.0, 1806, and is the 3d son of David and Susanna (Drinkwater) Fish, who were natives of Massachusetts and Vermont respectively, and of English ancestry.  Mr. Fish's early education was somewhat limited.  His youth was passed on the parental homestead, occupied in farming pursuits up to the time of his marriage with Philanda Kenyon, about 1836.  To this marriage were born 9 children, 4 of whom survive, viz.: Crandall, born Aug. 10, 1837; Albert, Sept. 20, 1839; James, Jr., Aug. 28, 1847; Charlotte A., Nov. 27, 1849.  Mr. Fish remained in the State of New York until the spring of 1833, when he came to Michigan, locating in Grass Lake, one and a half miles east of his present residence, where he entered 40 acres of land and afterward purchased more.  His nearest neighbors west were at the village of Grass Lake, eight miles distant.  In 1835 he entered the land where he now resides, and upon which he immediately settled.  Immigration at this time commenced to pour into Michigan, so that in a short time his neighbors were numerous.  Mr. Fish has been twice married; his first wife died June 8, 1873, a consistent member of the Baptist Church.  Jan. 1, 1874, he married Mrs. Harriet Fish, born in Watertown, Conn., in 1804.

    Dr. H J. HALE was born at Grass Lake, Sept. 23, 1848, son of Henry B. and Diadema (Denny) Hale, the former born in Massachusetts, Nov. 25, 1808, and the latter in New York State, June 3, 1811.  Mr. Hale attended Grass Lake schools until 15 years old, studied at the chemical laboratory at Ann Arbor in 1868-'9 and engaged in the chemical business for some time.  In 1874 he entered the Detroit Medical College, and graduated in March, 1875.  He married Miss Paulina A. Brown in 1872, and they have 1 child, Florence, born Sept. 27, 1878.  In 1875 the Doctor located at Grass Lake, and has since enjoyed the confidence of the people and an extensive practice.

    John G. HARLOW was born June 26, 1830, in Yates County, N. Y., eldest son of Nathan and Catharine (Johnson) Harlow, of the same State, both of English ancestry.  His parents came to Michigan in May, 1834, and located in Sylvan, Washtenaw Co.  His father entered 80 acres of land, remaining there one year; thence to Saline, in the same county, where he entered another 80 acres, remaining there three years.  About 1838 he came to Grass Lake and purchased 200 acres where he now resides.  A log house had been built and five acres of land improved.  Mr. Harlow, Sr., was born in 1800, a popular man in his day, and was active in all school and Church enterprises.  He raised a family of 4 children, 3 of whom are living; viz.: Sarah, born in 1826, now Mrs. McMaster, of Detroit; Oscar, a well-known farmer of Grass Lake; and the subject of this sketch.  Benjamin died in 1855, about 22 years of age.  Mr. and Mrs. H. died in 1877.  John G. was brought up on a farm and attended the common school in Grass Lake.  When about 21 years of age he attended the Grass Lake Academy three winter terms.  He remained with his parents until Oct. 22, 1862, when he was united in marriage with Miss Clara Hill, born in Ulster County, N. Y., in 1838, daughter of James and Catharine Hill, who settled in Grass Lake in 1855.  Mr. and Mrs: H. are members of the Congregational Church in Grass Lake.

    Oscar HARLOW, brother of the preceding, was born in Lodi, Washtenaw Co., Mich., Nov. 28, 1836.  He came with his parents to Grass Lake in the spring of 1838; was brought up on a farm and received a liberal education in the common schools, and attended the Grass Lake Academy five or six terms; also the Detroit Commercial College one term.  He lived with his parents until his marriage with Miss Hortensia Francisco, which took place Oct. 31, 1865.  Mr. and Mrs. H. have had 3 children, 2 of whom are living—Arthur O. and Byron N.  After his marriage Mr. Harlow located on the site of his present home; he built his residence in 1870.  Mrs. H. is a worthy member of the Congregational Church at Grass Lake.

    William A. HARRINGTON was born in the city of Philadelphia, July 27, 1830, the youngest son of C. L. and Mary M. (Smith) Harrington, natives of New York State, and of English descent.  The family removed to Wilkesbarre, Pa., where William attended the common schools.  When 15 years of age he learned the printer's trade in the office of the Luzerne Democrat; he then returned to Philadelphia where he remained two years, on the Philadelphia Bee, and Public Ledger; thence to New York city and was engaged sometime on the Tribune, afterward, was employed on various papers in Western New York, until coming with his parents to Grass Lake, Mich.,  in 1850.  They located on the site of his present home, where they resided the remainder of their lives, his father died in 1852, and his mother Aug. 11, 1867.  In addition to his farm labors Mr. H. is one of the correspondents of the Jackson Daily Citizen, and of the Detroit Post and Tribune; has also other literary enterprises on hand.  He published a cabinet-size lithograph of the War Governor, Hon. Austin Blair, which received from the many admirers of the Governor a warm and hearty support.  Since 1860, Mr. H. has been an active member of the Republican party.  He and his oldest sister, Hattie N. Harrington, reside upon the old homestead, with pleasant surroundings.  He is a member of the Baptist Church in Grass Lake.

    O. F. HOBART was born in Gorham, Ontario Co., N. Y., Jan. 1, 1816.  His parents were John and Mary (Shattuck) Hobart, the former a native of Massachusetts, and the latter of Connecticut, and of English descent.  He was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools; when about 20 years of age he entered the Penn Yan College one or two terms; afterward attended the Prattsburg, New York, College, where he completed his education, after which event he came to Michigan in the fall of 1836, and purchased land in Lenawee and Eaton counties; the following year he returned to New York, and conducted the old homestead; he also purchased a farm of 160 acres in Steuben County.  Mr. H. was married April 7, 1846, to Miss Sarah Whipple, born in New York in 1824.  They are the parents of 7 children, of whom 6 are now living—Cleveland, born Feb. 18, 1847; Frank O., Jan. 1, 1849; Myron, March 2, 1850; Edwin W., March 4, 1853; Delia, May 17, 1855, died Aug. 23, 1856; Ella, April 19, 1858, now Mrs. Delbert E. Robinson-, Grace, June 6, 1851.  After marriage Mr. H. resided in New York State 10 years.  He has held school offices, hut never was an office-seeker; he is a self-made man; having had no start in life; is a model farmer and successful stock-raiser; sheep-raising and wheat-growing are a specialty; the number of bushels of wheat he raises annually, is from 1,500 to 2,000.  He owns 380 acres of land, with a fine residence and beautiful surroundings.

    William HOPKINS was born in Luzerne County, Pa., Aug. 12, 1814; his father, Daniel Hopkins, was a native of Connecticut, and his mother, Margaret (Long) Hopkins, was born in Pennsylvania; both were of English-German descent.  William attended the common schools in his native county for a short time, and later the institutions of learning in the State of New York, where the family had removed in 1824, thus acquiring a very fair education.  He remained with his parents, engaged in the duties pertaining to a farm, until emigrating to Michigan, September, 1836.  Here he entered the employ of the M. C. R. R. Co., which occupation he followed 14 years.  Nov. 16, 1843, Mr. Hopkins was married to Miss Betsey Watkins, born in Naples, Ontario Co., N. Y., in 1822, daughter of Stephen Watkins, one of the pioneers of this county, having located in what was then the township of Napoleon at an early date.  Mr. Watkins died about 1857.  The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Hopkins was blessed with 4 children, 3 daughters and 1 son, viz.: C. Harold, born Nov. 3, 1845, now editing a newspaper in Wisconsin; Alice F., July 14, 1848; Clara M., Jan. 3, 1853; and Emma L., April 25, 1857.  Mr. Hopkins resided in the village of Grass Lake three years; purchased a place one and a half miles south of Grass Lake, where he resided 18 years; then removed to the Lake Superior mineral region, where he conducted a successful hardware business 10 years; in Negaunee, Marquette Co., Mich., he was Police Justice for five years; returned to Grass Lake in 1875, where he is finely situated a short distance south of the village.  Mr. H. was elected Supervisor of Grass Lake in 1856, filled that position three consecutive terms; was the first County Drain Commissioner; and was elected Justice of the Peace in 1876 for four years.  Mr. and Mrs. Hopkins are worthy members of the M. E. Church in Grass Lake.

    John W. KNIGHT, a prominent farmer and stock-raiser of Grass Lake, was born Oct. 15,1840, and is the oldest living son of Joshua G. and Patience (Smith) Knight, natives of New York State and Vermont respectively.  They were early pioneers of Michigan, having entered land in DeWitt, Clinton Co., in 1836, and during the same year located 320 acres in Grass Lake, upon which they immediately settled, having made the journey overland from New York State with two yoke of oxen.  Mr. K. was a Captain in the militia, and an influential man in his day; was born March 11, 1805, and died May 17, 1854.  Mrs. K. died May 24, 1875.  John W. received a fair education in the common school, and was a pupil in the Grass Lake Academy several terms.  He was connected with the mercantile house of Lord & Fargo for two years; also with the firm of Smith, Knight & Shelley for a term of years.  He was married in Howard, Livingston Co., Mich., Jan. 1, 1861, to Miss A. C. Lake, who was born in that county Oct. 22, 1840, and whose parents were early settlers in that locality.  Mr. and Mrs. Knight have had 3 children, of whom 1 is living, Harry Joshua, born Jan. 25, 1879.   Mr. Knight has served as Constable; was Tp. Treasurer two years about 1877-'8; was elected Justice of the Peace one term, about 1870-'4; Tp. Commissioner two years, 1878-'9; since his marriage has resided upon the old homestead, having purchased the interest of the other heirs to his father's estate in 1875.

    Miss Lois A. LONGYEAR was born in Ulster County, N. Y., Nov. 10, 1815, and is the daughter of Jacob C. and Lois (Barber) Longyear, who were among the early settlers in Grass Lake, locating upon the old family homestead two miles north of the village in 1836, where they resided until their death.  Mrs. L. died Oct. 24, 1857, and Mr. L., six days afterward.  The latter was a farmer during his lifetime, holding some minor township offices.  Mr. and Mrs. Longyear reared a family of 8 children, 3 of whom survive, namely: Lois A., the subject of this sketch, now residing in the village of Grass Lake; Eli B., born Dec. 25. 1820; and Jacob, born May 24, 1828, all residents of Grass Lake.

    G. C. LORD was born in Cayuga County, N. Y., Aug. 22, 1820, and is the son of David E. and Mary (Fargo) Lord, natives of Lyme, Conn., and of English descent.  George C. received quite a liberal education at select schools; also attended the Academy in Ann Arbor, his parents having come to Michigan in 1825.  At the age of 21 he commenced clerking in a general store which he continued about two years, then purchased a farm in Sharon, Washtenaw Co., which was his residence about eight years.  He was married Dec. 9, 1847, to Delia E. Osborn, who was born in New York State in 1827.  This union was blessed with 8 children, of whom 5 are living, viz.: Florence E., born May 7, 1850, now Mrs. James Goss, residing in Dakota; Sophia, March 26, 1852; Mary P., March 1, 1856; Harriet, Dec. 14, 1861; and Darril, born Dec. 16, 1863.  About 1850 Mr. Lord was a resident of Cass County, Mich., two years, engaged in mercantile business; removed to Grass Lake in 1852, where he built a store and entered into a general mercantile business, which he continued until 1878; is now in connection with the firm of Smith & Shelley, extensively engaged in the purchase of wheat, wool, pork, grass-seed, etc.  Mr. L. has been a member of the Board of Education for the past 16 years; also a member of the society of the Congregational Church, and a Trustee for many years.

    John MALNIGHT is a native of Vienna, Austria, where he was born Feb. 7,1835; his parents were John and Mary (Brenneis) Malnight.  He received a fair education in the government schools of his native city, and at the age of 12 was apprenticed for three years to the tailor's trade.  Upon completing his apprenticeship he traveled through the principal countries of Europe three years; emigrated to America in 1853; remained two years in Rochester, N. Y.; traveled extensively through Missouri, Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota before locating in Jackson in 1856; was foreman cutter in one of the principal clothing houses there for three years. Sept. 18, 1859, Mr. Malnight was united in marriage with Mary Eupper, who was born in Wurtemberg in 1838.  They have 6 children, 3 daughters and 3 sons.  In June, 1861, Mr. M. removed to South Haven, Mich., where he commenced the merchant tailoring business, ill health in his family causing his removal to a milder climate.  The following 12 years he resided in Chelsea, Washtenaw Co.  In 1861 he came to Grass Lake, where he has since resided, and where he conducts an extensive and popular tailoring establishment.  Mr. M. was Trustee of the village two years, and for the past six years has been Village Clerk; was Township Treasurer in 1878.  He owns and occupies one of the finest residences in the village, built by him in 1869.  Himself and family are members of the Baptist Church.

    Dennis MARRINANE was born in Ireland, Dec. 4, 1806, son of Timothy and Margaret (Cassidy) Marrinane.  His educational opportunities were limited; was engaged as a farm hand until emigrating to America about 1826; remained in the State of New York, employed on the public works; went West to Illinois, where he was employed on a canal, and was returning to the Eastern States when an acquaintance whom he met in Michigan advised him to locate a piece of land and settle upon it, which counsel he acted upon.  He entered 120 acres, where he has continued to live since 1833.  Mr. Marrinane has been twice married.  His first wife was Catherine Loughlin, and their 6 children are all living and married, with the exception of Timothy, who is now residing with his father.  About 12 years after marriage, Mrs. Marrinane died.  In 1848 Mr. M. was married to Mrs. Peter Whisple, who was born in Dutchess County, N. Y., and was a daughter of Peter Soper.  Mr. Marrinane was School Director one year.

    Jonah MILES, a native of Leicestershire, England, was born March 2, 1828, the third son of William and Mary (Adcock) Miles, who emigrated to America the fall of 1835, and came direct to Michigan, stopping temporarily in Ann Arbor; came to Grass Lake the same season, where Mr. Miles entered 400 acres of land, having no improvements whatever.  Their first winter was passed in a hastily constructed shanty, in which they suffered many privations during the long and cold season that followed.  William Miles died about 1861, at the age of 70.  Mrs. M. died the spring of 1876.  Jonah attended school in a log building in Grass Lake, his youth being passed in filling the duties incident to country life.  After becoming of age he engaged in railroading, filling that occupation four years.  Himself and three brothers purchased the homestead of their father in 1851, conducting it jointly seven or eight years.  Mr. Miles was married Sept. 9, 1859, to Mrs. Mary Christmas, a native of Canada, and daughter of an early settler in Detroit; she was born Feb. 24, 1832.  When married to Mr. Miles she was the mother of 1 daughter—Lelia J. Christmas, now Mrs. Nathan Strong, of Grass Lake.  Mr. and Mrs. Miles are the parents of 3 children, 1 of whom is living, viz.: Levi E., born Feb. 12, 1870.  Mr. Miles is a substantial citizen of Grass Lake Township.

    John Martin MUSBOCH, a native of Wurtemberg, was born Sept. 5, 1830, son of George and Katherina (Giner) Musboch.  He received his education at the government school, and was apprenticed to learn the baker's trade.  In 1851 he was drafted into the German army; served one year, and after a personal interview with the king of Wurtemberg, was given a discharge from the army for the purpose of joining his parents, who were about to emigrate to America.  The family came to this country in 1853, locating in Waterloo Township.  Mr. M. worked at fanning in Grass Lake for several years, after which he purchased a small place near Francisco; sold out there, and in connection with Mr. Dwelle, bought the farm upon which he now lives.  March 16, 1860, he was married to Mrs. Meranda E. Soper, daughter of William B. Quick, one of the pioneers of Jackson County.  Mr. and Mrs. N. have 1 son—George William, born April 30, 1863.  Mr. N. is the owner of 200 acres of land.  Himself and family are attendants at the Baptist Church.

    Charles H. NICHOLS was born in Yates County, N. Y., Dec. 1, 1834.  He came with his parents to Michigan in the spring of 1835.  His father was Harvey R. Nichols, and was born in 1802; his mother was Nancy A. (Raymond) Nichols, of Connecticut; his father located in Grass Lake in the fall of 1835, on the site of the present home of Charles H.  He improved the place, erected buildings, and spent nearly all his life there.  He died in 1876 and his wife in 1879; both were members of the Universalist Church at Manchester.  Mr. N. received a common-school education, and was brought up on a farm; he remained with his parents until his marriage in 1861, with Augusta E. Greenman, born in Troy, N. Y., in 1838; they have had 3 children, namely: Eugene R., born Feb. 1, 1863; I. M., born Oct. 5. 1870; Bert C, born March 20, 1873.  After his marriage Mr. N. located in Grass Lake, purchased a farm, which he conducted for one year, then sold out and entered into the mercantile business in Norvell, Mich., where he conducted a general store four years; sold out there about 1867, and removed to Manchester, Washtenaw Co., and engaged in the clothing business; he remained there nine years; returned to the farm in the spring of 1877, where he resides at the present time.  Mrs. N. is a member of the M. E. Church.

    Erastus Q. NICHOLS was born in Tioga County, N. Y., Feb. 22, 1817; his parents were Solomon and Margaret (Stevens) Nichols, the former a native of New York, and the latter of Virginia.  He followed farming pursuits, and was educated in the common schools.  He remained at home until his marriage, Jan. 3,1839, with Harriet Lanties, by whom he has had 12 children, 9 sons and 3 daughters.  Mr. N. had 3 sons in the war for the Union, 2 of whom laid down their lives.  Amos and Aaron were members of the 8th Michigan Vol.  Mr. N came with his parents to this county in 1830, and located in Grass Lake; he entered 80 acres of wild land and remained there four years; afterward moved to Waterloo, where they lived the rest of their lives.  He spent most of his life in Waterloo and Henrietta until his removal to Grass Lake in the fall of 1873.  Mrs. K died April 12, 1880, aged 57 years, 4 months, 10 days.  Mr. and Mrs. N. are both members of the M. E. Church.

    Mrs. A. W. PALMER was born in Steuben County, N. Y., Oct. 22, 1824, the eldest child of Silas and Ann Eliza (Shoemaker) Gorton, natives of New York State, and of English-French ancestry.  Her parents came to Dexter, Washtenaw Co., in 1829, and afterward removed to Monroe County, Mich., where Mrs. Palmer was a pupil at the district school; she afterward taught at Raisinville two years; attended at Boyd's Young Ladies' Seminary several terms, and received quite a liberal education.  In the summer of 1842 she visited the old home in New York State, and after an absence of one year returned to Michigan, and Feb. 1, 1847, she was married to William Palmer, who was born in Herkimer County, N. Y., in 1821.  They had 4 children, as follows: Emma P., born Sept. 29, 1852; Frank and Fred E. were born Sept. 19, 1856; Frank died Feb. 11, 1859; and Nettie, born June 8, 1862.  Mrs. Palmer continued to teach school in Dexter some three years after marriage.  In 1851 the family removed to Grass Lake, first locating on the South Plains, where they remained three years.  In 1854 Mr. Palmer purchased the farm upon which the family has since resided; it contains 180 acres, is very productive and finely situated on the west side of the lake from which the township takes its name.  Mr. Palmer was a carpenter and builder by trade; a member of the Congregational Church in Grass Lake, and leader of its choir for several years; also an influential and successful business man.  He died March 24, 1870.  Mrs. Palmer is a consistent member of the M. E. Church, and a lady noted for her intellectual ability and refinement of character.

    Rev. John PATCHIN was born in Ohio Dec. 8, 1820, son of Elizur and Betsy (Tomlinson) Patchin, who settled in Ohio in 1807.  Mr. Patchin attended the common school until 1836, when he entered the Farmington Academy, of which institution his first teacher— Daniel Branch—was subsequently Principal.  Mr. Branch was the preceptor of Mr. Garfield at Chester.  After two years' study at Farmington he attended the Cortland Academy; taught school during the winters to be enabled to meet expenses of tuition during the summers.  In September, 1841, he entered Oberlin College, completed a round of studies, and graduated Aug. 26, 1846.  The day after his graduation he married Miss Elizabeth P. Wakely, of Oneida County, N.Y., and a graduate of the same class.  They are the parents of 7 children, of whom Charlotte A., now the wife of Rev. Mr. Beckford, of Roolstown, Ohio, is the eldest.  The other children are—Frances, born in 1851, deceased 1865; Florence A., born in 1854; 4 younger children now reside at Grass Lake. Rev. Mr. Patchin was Principal of the Raisin Institute in 1847-'8, then in a prosperous condition; then procuring a license to preach, took charge of the Congregational Church at Wheatland, Hillsdale Co.; was Principal of Leoni Collegiate Institute, and preached before the Congregational society of the district; in 1851 he was appointed Pastor of the Congregational Church at Grass Lake, and also Principal of the Academy.  His labors at Grass Lake were of a most important character during four and a half years.  He subsequently lived at Lodi, Washtenaw Co., nine years, and afterward traveled through the States of Michigan, Illinois, New York and Ohio.  After an absence of 24 years he returned to Grass Lake and took charge of the Congregational Church there, Dec. 1, 1879.

    Mrs. Lorenda M. PEASE was born in Chenango County, N.Y., Nov. 27, 1805, daughter of Samuel and Phoebe (Morgan) Keyes.  She attended the common schools of Niagara County, N.Y., to which place the family removed in 1809.  She remained with her parents until Jan. 15, 1828, when she married W. H. Pease, who was born in Seneca County, N.Y., in 1805.  Mr. Pease and wife traveled West in 1829, and arrived at Grass Lake about September of that year, and located their present home, now within the corporate limits of Grass Lake, then a dense wilderness.  She has seen as many as 300 Indians pass in a day.  The nearest neighbor east was 19 miles distant; David Keyes had opened the first house of entertainment half a mile west of Grass Lake.  Mr. Pease was a member of the Legislature while the capital of the State was at Detroit; he was elected Supervisor for seven terms, the first of which was held at Ann Arbor; he was the first ticket agent at Grass Lake, and held the position for 11 years.  At the period of his death, Nov. 13, 1866, he owned 250 acres of land, and was among the prominent men of the township.  Oscar F. Pease is the only surviving child, and he resides upon the old homestead.

    Edward PELTON was born in Otsego County, N. Y., Sept. 11, 1840, 2d son of Jewett T. and Caroline E. (Copernoll) Pelton, natives of the State of New York, and of English-German descent.
    With his parents, Edward came to Michigan the fall of 1846; attended school until 16, and afterward worked at farming.  March 9, 1865, he married Miss Kate E. Bovell, born in Saratoga County, N. Y., Feb. 11, 1841; they are the parents of 3 children, 2 of whom survive—Willie J., born Dec. 2, 1865, and Kittle E., born July 3, 1868.  Mr. P. was elected Justice of the Peace in 1880; is an active worker in the temperance cause; also a licensed local preacher of the M. E. Church.

    John C. PHELPS was born March 23, 1813, in Tompkins County, N. Y., the 2d son of Noah and Hannah (Swick) Phelps, the former of New York State, the latter of Virginia; the family are of German origin.  John C. acquired an ordinary common-school education, remaining with his parents, occupied in farming pursuits, until coming to Michigan in the spring of 1835.  He first settled in Rives Township, where he purchased wild land, which he occupied two or three years, then returned to New York State where he was married Sept. 19, 1837, to Martha M. Rapplye, born in Seneca County, N. Y., in 1816.  They are the parents of 11 children, of whom 7 are living, as follows: Jeremiah R., born April 2, 1840; John O, April 2, 1843; Sarah O., July 20, 1845; Alice G., Nov. 30, 1850; Martha and  Mary,  born Oct. 12, 1854, and Chas. G., born May 15, 1858.  Mr. P. returned to Michigan after his marriage, stopping in Washtenaw County, where he lived, with the exception of some six years' residence in Rives, until locating in Grass Lake in 1865.  In the spring of 1868 he purchased the place where he now resides.  Mr. Phelps has always declined public office; himself and Mrs. P. are members of the Baptist Church.

    Joseph POWELL was born in Washington County, N. Y., Jan. 29, 1802, second son of Joseph and Gillin (Scovil) Powell, of Irish-English descent.  He moved with his parents to Rome, Oneida Co., N. Y., in 1810; there attended the common school, and received a limited education.  They lived in Rome five or six years, then moved to Wayne County, the same State.  Mr. P. was married in Galen, Wayne Co., 1822, to Miss Annie Osgood, born in Washington County, 1806.  They have had 7 children, namely: Polly, born Nov. 11, 1823, now Mrs. Calvin Preston, of Ingham County; Ira, born March 31, 1826; George, born July 30, 1828, and died in September, 1864; Mary Ann, born March 12, 1831, and died in 1851; James, born March 22, 1833, in Erie County, N. Y.; Sarah, Maria, and John Stuart, born in Erie County, N. Y., April 29, 1836; the former died at the age of 14, in 1850.  John S. enlisted in the 24th Mich. Cav., participated in several engagements, and was in the battle of Gettysburg July 1, 1863.  Mrs. P. died May 20, 1874; was a member of the M. E. Church, at Francisco.  After his marriage Mr. P. resided in various places in Wayne and Ontario counties, N. Y.  He moved to Grass Lake in March, 1839, and purchased a farm north of Francisco, where he lived 12 years; moved into Francisco in the spring of 1853, where he has since resided.  He is an original member of the M. E. Church at Francisco, also a charter member of the county pioneer society.

    Mahlon H. RAYMOND, M. D., was born June 19, 1836, at Sharon, Washtenaw Co., Mich., son of Cyrus and Lorena (Dickenson) Raymond, of New York State; was educated in the district school until 15 years old, when he entered Albion College; subsequently taught school, and varied the monotony of such a profession by the study of medicine.  In 1859 he graduated at the medical college of the Michigan University, and then commenced his practice.  In September, 1862; the Doctor was appointed Assistant Surgeon in the 26th Mich. Vol. Inf.; was promoted Surgeon in April, 1863, and served with the regiment till the close of the war.  Returning to Grass Lake, he resumed his professional labors, but seized upon the winter of 1868-'9 to advance in knowledge, and attended medical lectures in New York city.  He married Miss Jane E. Gould April 6, 1859, who is the mother of Miss Nina L., born May 18, 1860.  He was elected member of the Legislature in 1878, declined a second nomination, and was President of the village for three terms.

    Mrs. Jane RICE was born in Scotland, Jan. 9, 1800, eldest daughter of Alexander McCandlish and Grace (Simpson) McCandlish.  She came with her parents to America in 1802 and settled in the Mohawk valley for two or three years; then removed to the city of Albany; thence to Ontario County, in 1816.  She received a fair education in the common schools, and was united in marriage April 11, 1819, with Job Rice, of New York, born June 26, 1799.  They were the parents of 9 children, of whom 3 are living, viz.: Edward A. and Sarah L., born Oct. 3, 1830, the former a resident of Jackson city, and the latter of New York; Celestia Susan, born July 21, 1842, was united in marriage April 12, 1867, to Chas. S. Avery, born Jan. 13, 1839, in Greene County.  They are the parents of 3 children, viz.: Emma Jane, born Aug. 27, 1869; Willie D., Aug. 2, 1871; and Grace May, Nov. 13, 1878.  Mrs. R. remained in New York for a good many years.  In 1834 she came to Michigan, and suffered many privations. Mr. R. had entered the land about 1831; he lived in Grass Lake 13 years, in Calhoun County four years, since then in this county—10 years in Parma.  About 1861 Mrs. R. returned to Grass Lake, where she has since resided. Mr. R. was an active supporter and a member of the Baptist Church; he died March 29, 1875.  Mrs. R. was an original charter member of the Baptist Church in Grass Lake.  Mr. Avery enlisted in the 12th Mich. Vol. Inf., December, 1861, and participated in several engagements; re-enlisted Jan. 14, 1864, and served until mustered out at Niles, Mich., in 1865.

    Wm. F. RIEMENSCHNIDER was born in Washtenaw County, Mich., Sept. 1, 1850, eldest son of William and Christina (Keiser) Riemenschnider, both natives of Germany.  Mr. R. was educated in the common schools in Sylvan, Washtenaw Co., Mich., and also attended the Baldwin University at Berea, O., two years, where he completed his education in 1870.  In the spring of 1871 he engaged in mercantile business in Francisco; entered into partnership with C. H. Felt; continued the business since under several firm names, now conducting it individually; he keeps a general store, dry-goods, groceries, etc.; he has a much larger trade than when the business commenced; is also Postmaster, station and express agent.  Mr. R. was united in marriage with Miss Elvina Lands, June 17, 1874; she was born in Jackson County, Oct. 24, 1850.  They are the parents of 2 children, 1 of whom is living—Lavera E., born Oct. 23, 1878.  Mr. and Mrs. R. are members of the English M. E. Church.  Mr. R.'s parents located in Sylvan, Washtenaw Co., in 1847, where his father still resides.  His mother died in 1861.  He erected a handsome structure in 1877, adapted to the wants of his increasing trade.

    Jacob RIETHMILLER, a native of Wurtemberg, was born Nov. 8, 1839, a son of Jacob M. and Kate (Heydlauff) Riethmiller.  He was a pupil at the government school constantly during his youth, continuing to live with his parents until 21 years of age; was then employed by others as a farm hand, until emigrating to America in 1867.  He stopped at Schenectady, N. Y., some little time; came to Ann Arbor fall of 1867; worked at the carpenter's trade one winter; the following two or three years worked as farm hand at various places in Jackson County; in 1874 he commenced business at Grass Lake as dealer in groceries, provisions, wines, liquors and cigars; his business has steadily increased.  Mr. R. built a handsome residence in 1877.  He is a lover of fine horses, of which he keeps several.  Mr. R. was married Feb. 19, 1874, to Mary Simpson.

    Edmund ROBINSON, well-known farmer and stock-raiser, of Grass Lake, was born on Long Island, N. Y., in 1819, the oldest son of Shepard and Elizabeth (Raynor) Robinson, natives of the State of New York, and of Scotch and English ancestry.  The family came to Washtenaw County, Mich., in 1837, where Edmund acquired a schooling in the English branches; was brought up on the farm and remained under the parental roof until his purchase of a place in Sharon, Washtenaw Co.  Dec. 18, 1845, he married Miss Lucy Dewey, a native of Oswego County, N. Y., born in 1827.  Mr. and Mrs. R. are the parents of 2 children—Florence A., born Oct. 4, 1846, died Jan. 10, 1857; Frank E., born April 6, 1849; the latter resides with his parents.  He was married Nov. 25, 1873, to Cora A. Felt, and they are the parents of 1 son—Clarence Edmund, born Oct. 12,1879.  In 1852, he purchased his present home.  He is a Director of the Eastern Jackson Fire Insurance Co.; was largely instrumental in erecting the Congregational church in Grass Lake; has done much to develop the county, and is one of its successful and influential citizens.

    Samuel E SACKRIDER was born March 17,1826; his parents were Christian and Jane Ann Content (Esmond) Sackrider; the former was born in New York March 8, 1792; the latter was born April 11,1804.  They came to Grass Lake in 1840; located on 160 acres three and a half miles north of the village, then wild land, which they improved.  They raised a family of 6 sons and 1 daughter.  Six of the children are living, all residents of Michigan.  Mr. Sackrider died in 1864; Mrs. S. is still living.  Samuel E. was educated in the common schools; brought up to farming pursuits; remained with his parents until of age; followed railroading for some 15 years; lived West for about 10 years following his marriage, which took place in 1852, with Ariadne McConaughy.  They have 2 children—James Rolland, born June 6, 1863, and Ada Maria, born Jan. 23, 1855.  Mrs. Sackrider died in 1872.

    J. M. SANDFORD was born in South Westport, Mass., Oct. 20, 1811; is the eldest son of Philip and Phoebe (Casteno) Sandford, and of English and French descent.  He removed with his parents to Ontario County, N. Y., in 1818, where he attended common school.  After reaching the age of 21 years, he attended select schools.  He was married in 1835 to Mary Ann Thomas, born in Woodstock, Vermont, in 1817.  They are the parents of 10 children, of whom 7 are now living— Philip H., George N., Phoebe A., Emma J., Mary A., Francis A.. James M., Eugene M., and William M.  Mr. Sandford visited Michigan in 1832, and entered 160 acres of land in Van Buren and Wayne counties, returning to New York State in the fall of 1835; removed his family and remained there three or four months, then sold out and moved to Grass Lake Township the same year.  He improved the land from a wilderness, built a beautiful residence, set out 50 acres of orchard, and planted 2,000 trees in the spring of 1836; he has been an extensive fruit-raiser.  He sold out in 1876 and purchased a farm of 134 acres a little south of his old residence.  Mr. S. is a self-made man, having no start in life.  Mrs. S. is a member of the Baptist Church.

    P. M. SHEARER, a well-known farmer of Grass Lake, was born Jan. 18, 1816, in Saratoga County, N. Y., the son of Martin M. and Susanna (Shaffer) Shearer, natives of New York State and of German ancestry.  Mr. S. received such education as the common schools of those early days offered.  At the age of 18 he engaged in the manufacture of wooden-ware, jointly with farming; had purchased his time from his father at the age of 15.  He was married in 1837 to Samantha Whitehead.  They have 2 daughters, now residents of the Eastern States.  Mrs. Shearer died in 1841.  Mr. S. removed to New York State, where he resided until 1844, conducting a woolen manufactory.  March 9, 1843, was married to Miss Pamelia Taylor, born in Saratoga County, N. Y., in 1817.  They are the parents of 6 children, as follows: John H, born Jan. 6, 1844; Alonzo M., Oct, 7, 1845; Mary S., Oct. 15, 1847, now Mrs. Taylor, of Ingham County; Rush, April 10, 1849; Elliott, Jan. 9, 1851; Helen M., June 8, 1860.  Mr. Shearer remained in New York State about one year after marriage, and in the spring of 1844 came to Michigan; worked the Jonathan B. Taylor farm on shares for one and a half years, then purchased wild land, which he improved and resided upon for 19 years; sold out there; purchased the Jacob Longyear homestead in 1863, where he has since remained.  Mr. and Mrs. S. are members of the Baptist Church of Grass Lake.

    Eli SMITH was born in Scoharie County, N. Y., April 11, 1838; is the second son of Noah and Eliza (Borst) Smith, of New York, and of English-German descent.  He was brought up on a farm, and received a common-school education.  He purchased the old homestead and conducted the farm until coming West.  He was married Dec. 14, 1860, to Miss Jeanette Young, born in Scoharie County, N. Y., in 1834; they are the parents of 8 children, 3 daughters and 5 sons.  Mr. S. remained in New York four years after his marriage, when he sold out and came to Michigan in the spring of 1865, locating in Grass Lake.  He worked a farm for Samuel Dwelle in 1866, then purchased a farm of 160 acres, where he now resides; has built a spacious residence and made other improvements.  He makes a specialty of raising hops, and finds it profitable.

    Horatio S. SMITH was born Feb. 20, 1839, in the village of Grass Lake, son of Hiram M. and Mary L. (Hall) Smith, of Vermont.  He was educated at the schools of Grass Lake, and studied the ordinary courses taught in the common schools of the district, as well as the higher branches of the Grass Lake Academy.  On leaving the academy he labored on the farm two years, and at the age of 18 commenced the dry-goods business in the village.  The trade was established in 1858, under the firm name of Smith Brothers & Co.  The business has been continued uninterruptedly, but the partners of Mr. Smith have been varied.  For a period of 22 years H. S. Smith has posted all accounts, and it is said that during that time he inserted every word and figure now to be found in the office ledgers.  He has filled the position of Tp. Clerk, Superintendent of the Poor, and other offices.  In 1867 he married Lovinia Dwelle, a native of Ontario County, N. Y.  Hiram M. Smith, the father of H. S., came to Michigan in 1831, and to this county in 1833, settling in Grass Lake in 1835.  He died in 1851, bequeathing to his son, Horatio S., the property which he rendered so valuable.

    Hon. Sidney T. SMITH (deceased) was born in Chenango County, N. Y., Oct. 27, 1809, the youngest son of John and Lydia (Sheffield) Smith, natives of Rhode Island, and of English descent.  He received his preliminary education in the common schools until 16 years of age, when he was engaged in teaching school jointly with farming, until entering into a mercantile business in Pulaski, Oswego Co., N. Y., where he was united in marriage with Miss Harriet B. Wood, born in 1817, daughter of John Wood, an early settler in the same county.  Mr. and Mrs. Smith were the parents of 12 children, of whom 9 survive, as follows: John G., born Oct. 31, 1836; Lloyd T, April 10, 1838; Stephen Girard, born in Pulaski, N. Y., Feb. 17, 1840; Frederick E., Nov. 3, 1842; Henry C, Oct. 27, 1844; Sarah Helen, July 1, 1846; Alice J., July 18, 1852; Charles W., Feb. 6, 1859; Harriet L., July 5, 1860.  The two latter reside with their mother on the homestead in Grass Lake.  Mr. Smith continued in trade in Pulaski, N. Y., for some years.  In 1840 he, in company with D. Hale, then his partner in business, now of Ann Arbor, located in Grass Lake, and commenced trade at Grass Lake Center in 1840.  In 1842 they removed their business to the present village of Grass Lake, where they continued successfully until 1855.  Mr. Smith was elected a member of the Legislature in 1856, was afterward elected for another term; was Secretary of the Farmer's Mutual Fire Insurance Co.; was a successful business man; his heart was always open to the needy; brought up in the faith of his parents, who were Baptists; though never connecting himself with any Church, his hand and purse were ever at the service of all.  He died April 25, 1878.  His last surviving brother, the Rev. Dr. Smith, recently died at an advanced age.

    Wm. H. SMITH was born in Ontario County, N Y., April 5, 1831.  His parents were Nathaniel and Mary (Yecley) Smith, natives of New York State; the former is still living in that State, in the 87th year of his age.  Mr. Smith was the recipient of quite a liberal education; was a student at the Canandaigua Academy two years; emigrated to Michigan the fall of 1853, since which time he has resided in Grass Lake; attended the Albion College one year, and followed teaching about 12 years.  In 1865 he purchased a place on section 13, Grass Lake, which he owned for three years; afterward purchased a farm on section 10, which he still owns.  Dec. 13, 1868, Mr. Smith was married to Mrs. Geo. Clark, born in Ulster County, N. Y., in 1831, widow of George Clark, one of the pioneers of this County.  Mr. and Mrs. S. are the parents of 3 children, as follows: Lucy E., born Feb. 5, 1870; Emma G., born Dec. 14, 1871, and Elsie P., born Dec. 7. 1873; both died Nov. 26, 1878.  Since marriage Mr. S. has resided on the Geo. Clark homestead.  He has been School Inspector almost constantly; was elected member of the Legislature for one term in 1874; also Supervisor in 1873-4—'5; again elected in 1880; has been a prominent Granger and an official in that organization during the past few years; also Director in the Jackson County Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Co., three years; re-elected the fall of 1880, a 2d term.  With Mrs. S. he is a member of the Congregational Church; he has been a teacher in the Sabbath-school almost constantly for the past 20 years.

    Cornelius SOPER, born April 2, 1811, in Dutchess County, N. Y., is the son of John and Ler (Williams) Soper, of New York.  He received an elementary education, and at a very early age entered upon the labors of the farm.  He left Ulster County, N. Y.,in 1841 for Michigan, and located his present home the same year.  In 1834 he married Eliza Wood, of Dutchess County, N.Y., a lady then 21 years old.  They have had 9 children, of whom 6 are living, viz.: Hiram, Nicholas, Daniel, Job, David, and Rosella; John died in 1880.  Mrs. Soper died in 1879.  Mr. Soper purchased 111 acres of land on his arrival at Grass Lake, and is now the owner of 650 acres of valuable land.  He has been identified with the school of his district, and during the war was among its ablest supporters.  Among the many improvements made by him, is his house, which was erected in 1861.  His parents were among the early settlers of Grass Lake, having located one half mile east of the village in 1835; their place of burial is on the site of the old homestead.

    Mrs. Nancy M. SOPER was born June 12, 1822; daughter of Col. James and Martha (McBride) Faulkner, early settlers in Grass Lake, where they located a section of land in the fall of 1833.  Col. Faulkner was born July 2, 1779; was a surveyor by occupation; a member of the New York Legislature; erected the first frame dwelling in Grass Lake, which is still in existence and occupied as a residence by Chas. Cassidy, Esq.; the homestead he improved from a wilderness to fruitful fields; an ardent Republican, he committed himself on the side of freedom; was a man of more than common physical and mental vigor; was self-reliant, independent, cheerful and deliberate.  To such men the present generation are deeply indebted.  Col. and Mrs. Faulkner reared a family of 10 children, 9 of whom are living;  all but 2 are residents of Michigan.  Mrs. Faulkner died in 1845, and Col. Faulkner April 24, 1869.  Their daughter, Fannie Ann, wife of Joseph C. Watkins, died April 20, 1845, a devout member of the Presbyterian Church; an excellent woman whose memory is still cherished by her many friends.

    Ebenezer TAYLOR was born in Ulster County, N.Y., April 30,1814.  His parents were Benjamin and Charity (Bull) Taylor, natives of New York, and of German-English descent.  The family moved to Seneca County about 1816.  Ebenezer was brought up on a farm, and attended the common school; remained with his parents until 22 years of age; in May, 1836, he came to Michigan and located in Leoni; entered 40 acres of land, and afterward bought 67 acres.  He was married Sept. 15, 1838, to Sarah G. Scidmore, by whom he had 4 children, 1 deceased.  Mr. T. remained in Leoni till 1856, when he removed to Grass Lake and purchased the Smith farm, upon which he made many improvements; in 1868 built a fine residence.  Mrs. T. died May 17, 1875; was a member of the Congregational Church in Grass Lake.  Mr. T. sold out in February, 1878; he still owned a farm half a mile east, upon which he built a house and where he now resides; also owns a farm in Leroy, Ingham Co., of 130 acres.  He is a self-made man.

    Joel TAYLOR was born in Saratoga County, N.Y., in 1825; is the third son of John and Mary Taylor, of Irish-Dutch ancestry; he was reared on a farm until of age, and received a good business education; he came to Michigan about 1850 and located in Grass Lake Township, where the family now reside.  He was married Feb. 25, 1853, to E. Jane Woodin, born in Half Moon Township, Saratoga Co., N.Y., in 1840.  They were the parents of 4 children, 3 of whom are living, viz.: Hiram W. (deceased) Sarah II., Porter and J. Clay.  Mr.T. was a successful business man.  He died May 29. 1876.  Mrs. T. is a member of the Baptist Church in Grass Lake; she owns 280 acres of land in this township.

    William B. TAYLOR was born July 24, 1807, in New York city, second son of Benjamin and Charity (Bull) Taylor, natives of New York, and of German-English descent.  He remained at home until 21 years of age and received a limited education.  After leaving home he learned the blacksmith's trade, which he followed eight years; was married in 1834 to Mary La Du, by whom he has had 9 children, 6 of whom are residents of Michigan.  After his marriage he came to Michigan and located one mile south of Leoni for one year, then sold out and moved to Grass Lake in November, 1836, and settled on his present premises.  Mr. T. has many incidents to relate, and met with many privations during his early settlement.  Mr. and Mrs. T. are worthy members of the M. E. Church.

    Henry VINKLE was born in Washtenaw County, Mich., July 12, 1845.  His parents are Henry and Rebecca (Christ) Vinkle, and of German descent.  He received an ordinary common-school education; when 14 years of age he commenced to learn the trade of cabinet-maker, which business his father had followed many years; commenced clerking for his brother in Dexter in a general store and furniture trade; entered into partnership with his brother, which continued two and a half years, when he disposed of his interest to his brother; the following three or four years were spent in traveling, visiting various cities and places of interest in the Eastern States.  In March, 1868, he located in Grass Lake and commenced the furniture and undertaking business.  Feb. 24, 1869, Mr. V. was married to Miss Aurora Walker, daughter of Wm. H.Walker, an early settler in Grass Lake, a sketch of whose life appears below.  Mrs. Vinkle was born in Grass Lake in 1847.  Mr. and Mrs.V. are the parents of 3 children, whose names are as follows: Mahlon, Minnie and Maud.  After some years Mr. Vinkle added to his former business that of dealing in agricultural implements, which he still continues; has recently disposed of the furniture business; has a large and increasing trade; is the only undertaker in the village, and is a successful business man; has been Marshal two terms, Deputy Sheriff two years; is a member of the M. E. Church in Grass Lake.

    Wm. H. WALKER was born Nov. 19, 1823, in Barre, Vermont, son of Daniel and Maria (Abbot) Walker, the former of Vermont, and the latter of Massachusetts.  The family located temporarily in Pennsylvania, but moving to the Northwest, arrived at Detroit May 10, 1829; settled at Ann Arbor for a short period, and came to Grass Lake in the fall of 1831, where Mr. Walker's father entered the land upon which Grass Lake village is now located, 20 acres being still in possession of the present representative of the family.  Mr. Daniel Walker was born in 1798, and was one of the first settlers of Grass Lake; was the first Postmaster, first Tp. Collector and Clerk; these offices he held until his decease in 1839.  William H. has held the position of School Inspector; in his earlier years he studied in the common schools, and would have taken a course in the Grass Lake Academy had not the death of his father necessitated close attention to business.  He married Miss M. J. Burtch, of Saratoga County, N. Y., and their 2 children are Aurora M., now Mrs. Vinkle, and Daniel B., born in 1850, now in partnership with his father.  Mr. Walker engaged extensively in the manufacture of brick until 1866, when he established his drug business; up to the present time he has continued this branch of trade, adding to it from time to time a book and stationery department, a grocery store and wall-paper department.  He was one of the first Board of Village Trustees, President of the village, and now serving a second term on the Village Board of Trustees.  He is one of the leading citizens of the county; has done much in the interest of the village, and, doubtless, to him a great deal of its present prosperity is due.

    Mrs. Sarah T. WATKINS, born April 5, 1803, in Massachusetts, is the daughter of James Tracy and Martha (Blackman) Tracy, of the same State.  About 1810 her family removed to Tioga County, N. Y.; she married Ira L. Watkins, in 1827, who was born in Ontario County, N. Y., May 8, 1805, and came to Michigan with his wife in September, 1835; settled one mile south of Grass Lake, and died Nov. 15, 1866.  He was a practical farmer, and successful in his agricultural dealings.  Mrs. Watkins is the surviving parent of 7 children, viz.: Laura, born May 17, 1828, now Mrs. Freeman Curtiss; Frances, April 25, 1830; Molina A., April 12, 1833, died Aug. 8. 1848; Miller Y., June 24, 1834; Jerome, Oct. 26, 1836; Jeannette, Oct. 26, 1836, now Mrs. Durand, and Martha M., May 16, 1843, now Mrs. Richard Chapman.  Mrs. Watkins moved from the homestead into the village of Grass Lake in 1867, where she now resides.  Mrs. Nettie Durand also dwells in the village, and is a member of the society of Congregationalists.

    Jeremiah B. WATSON was born July 29 1818, in Yates County, N. Y.; son of John and Eunice (Barber) Watson, of New York city.  In 1838 he moved westward; completed a course in the Grass Lake Academy; followed the profession of school-teacher for several years, and ultimately settled on the southeast section of Grass Lake.  He married Charlotte E. Moore, Dec. 11, 1845, whose parents settled in Michigan in 1822.  Mr. and Mrs. Watson have 5 children, namely: Henrietta E., born Sept. 6, 1846; Frances I., Feb. 9, 1848, now Mrs. J. P. Armstrong; Sarah E. Dec. 29, 1850, died May 13, 1860; Clara J., January, 1852, now Mrs. Scott, of Battle Creek, and Emma B., Aug. 4, 1854, now Mrs. W. F. Bigelow, of Concord.  In the fall of 1848 the family moved into the village of Grass Lake.  Mr. Watson purchased lands in Lenawee County, and resided there a few years; returning to this county, he resumed his business in 1858, and has since continued to dwell here.  He has filled many township offices, was member of the Village Board when first organized, and is a prominent member of the Masonic society.

    James WELCH, Jr., was born in Niagara County, N. Y., Aug. 10, 1814; is the son of James and Keziah (Barrett) Welch, both natives of New York, and of Irish-English descent.  He came to Michigan with his parents in 1825, and located at Ann Arbor; was brought up on a farm, and received a liberal education in the common school; remained at home until his marriage, which occurred June 1, 1836, to Mrs. Susan Taylor, by whom he has had 5 children, viz.: Alplus A., John O, Mary Z., Sarah F. and Orcelea J.  The family came to Grass Lake in 1835, and entered land south of the village; they then moved to Leoni, near Michigan Center; after a short residence, returned to Grass Lake in 1846, and have since resided at this place.  Mr. W. always declined office.  Mrs. W. is a worthy member of the Congregational Church.

    Isaac WHISPLE, a native of Grass Lake, Jackson Co., Mich., was born Sept. 16, 1842, the youngest son of Peter and Rebecca (Soper) Whisple, and is of German descent.  His parents were among the early pioneers of this county, locating in Grass Lake about 1836.  His father died about 1850.  Isaac received an ordinary common-school education; was reared to farming pursuits, remaining on the homestead until December, 1860, when he married Miss Melissa Wright, born in Tompkins County, N. Y., in 1844.  Mr. and Mrs. Whisple are the parents of 4 children, of whom but 2 are living—William E., born June 5, 1864, and Reuben J., born March 21, 1871.  Mr. Whisple enlisted in 1862; participated in numerous battles, among which are: Antietam, Fredericksburg and battle of the Wilderness; at Watertown, Va., was captured by the rebels; spent three months in Libby prison; was also in a hospital some three months.  At the expiration of his term of enlistment, he was mustered out with his regiment at Detroit, the fall of 1865.  After the war he purchased the farm upon which he has since resided.  Himself and Mrs. W. are members of the Baptist Church in Grass Lake.

    Rev. Alva B. WOOD was born May 14, 1840, in Macomb County, Mich., son of Andrew and Phoebe Ann (Hines) Wood.  The family moved to Lapeer County, Mich., about the year 1848, where Alva B. attended the common school, and taught school for a few terms; subsequently he attended the Dickenson Institute, at Romeo, and the academy at Lapeer; graduated at the Michigan University in 1866; later, he studied at the Garrett Biblical Institute, after he had served some time in the ministry.  About the year 1869 he was placed in charge of the Troy (Mich.) mission.  In 1866 he married Miss Ervilla Hollister, who was born in 1840, and is now the mother of 4 children, viz.: Myra, born in 1868; Fletcher, in 1871; Blanche, in 1875, and Andrew, in 1876.  After spending some time at Troy, he was removed at his own request, and appointed Pastor of the M. E. Church of Grass Lake in the fall of 1880.  His congregation of 265 members includes the M. E. class of Leoni, which, under his administration, is spiritually and socially prosperous.



Line Divider

Back Home
Backgrounds By Marie

Copyright Genealogy Trails All Rights Reserved with Full Rights Reserved for Original Contributor