Henreitta Township
Line Divider

Bartlett's Pavilion, Contributed by Paul Petrosky

From "The History of Jackson County, Michigan"

    The first settler in Henrietta was John Baptiste Barboux, an Indian trader.  He was there in 1831, and said he had lived there 15 years, or since 1816.  His home was on the east side of the lake called Baptiste lake.  He had more goods than there were in Jackson.  At this time, October, 1831, he was plowing for wheat.  John Davison and Robert Davison built a saw-mill on the inlet of Baptiste lake.  John Westren came and bought 1,800 acres of land around Pleasant lake, divided it into six farms, and built on them in the spring of 1836.  That summer he had families living on them.  The same year Alfred Hall, Sherlock Patrick, Thomas Tanner and James Suylant, with their families, together with Abram Bunker and E. Doggett, made their settlement.  About the same time Job Archer, Rowland Tanner, H. H. Hurd, Atwater Hurd, Edward Southwell and John Snyder came and settled with their families.  Mr. Prescott moved from Rives into Henrietta in the winter of 1841-'2.
    William Martin settled at White's lake in Henrietta early in 1852.  The lake was named in honor of R. R. White, who settled near it in 1836.  The early settlers in the vicinity of White's lake were Messrs. R. R. White, Snyder, Roland Tanner,Warren Tanner, Gilbert Cole, Jesse Hurd, Harry Hurd, John Walsh, Samuel Prescott, Samuel Nicoll, Zenas Stilson, J. Croft, Wm. Nicoll, Edward Malay, Willard Reed, John and Patrick Fleming.  D. B. Peck, Marshall J. Cowing, Phillip Davis made settlement in the town immediately after.  Wm. Martin and Charles Murray arrived eight years later, and L. J. Layton came about 1855.  Gilbert Cole kept a store near the lake; Samuel Prescott then lived at Westren's Corners; Samuel Nicoll cleared his farm close by, and Willard Reed settled in the vicinity a few years before.
    There was no game in the country then with the exception of an odd deer.  The lake had about the same area, 100 acres, as it does now, and contained numbers of pickerel, bass, and sun-fish.  The water is good for stock and washing; but good drinking water is found 30 feet beneath the surface of the adjoining land.
    The burning of William Martin's house in 1864, the conflagration at M. J. Cowing's in 1877, and the destruction of Willard Reed's barn in 1876, were the only ravages made in the district by fire.
    A hail-storm swept over White's lake Oct. 2,1880, which was too late to injure the crops.
    Late in 1859 Mr. Martin and others, who were road-making, unearthed the skeleton of an Indian, and very Christian-like consigned the bones of the old scalp-taker to a grave beside the road.
    Illness never prevailed to any extent in the settlement, which may be accounted for by the fact that from its beginning peace and plenty belonged to its inhabitants.
    May 20, 1879, W. H. Randolph of Henrietta, attracted by the fierce barking of his dog in a piece of woods not far away, took his gun and went to ascertain the cause.  Upon arriving at the spot he observed a strange-looking animal crouching on a limb about midway up a large tree.  He discharged a bullet into it, causing it to roll from the limb, and by catching the branches as it fell it eased its descent to the ground.  After a few leaps in the air it fell dead, when it was found to be a large lynx.  It was three and a half feet in length, two feet in height, and weighed 35 pounds.   The teeth and claws were a full inch in length.  Mr. R. has cured and stuffed the skin, which attracts no little attention, it being the first lynx killed in that section within the memory of the oldest inhabitant.
    Henrietta was organized into a township in 1837, the time when all the northern range of towns was organized, under the name of West Portage, Waterloo being called East Portage, the name being taken from the lakes.  When the township was first organized there were only 14 votes cast, not enough to enable them to fill all the offices without appointing the same persons for two or three different positions.  Patrick Hankerd, the present supervisor, is also chairman of the Board of Supervisors.
John Davidson was the first postmaster in the town, and was succeeded by Samuel Prescott, who had moved into the town from Rives.  Mr. Prescott held the office for nearly 20 years.  The first season that Mr. Prescott was in the town he attended a ”raising'' as often as once a week.
    There are eight school districts in the town, part of which are fractional; one church, a Methodist, near the northeast corner of the town, in a little settlement that is frequently called Gassville.
    The present postoffice is located at Pleasant Lake, and is called Henrietta.  Pleasant Lake is a little settlement named from the beautiful sheet of water that lies a little to the north of the village.
    The name of the town was changed through the influence of Henry Hurd, Esq., in 1839, and named Henrietta, after his native place in New York.
    The Episcopal Church of Henrietta was organized April 28, 1879, under Rev. Mr. Johnson.  May 10, 1879, a vestry was elected, and the plan of a church building presented, accepted and adopted, and a building committee appointed, consisting of the following persons: Frederick Farrand, Dr. J. B. Townsend and John Hall.  A lot was purchased and the contract for the erection of the building let to Peters & Maloney, of Jackson; the foundation and mason work to John Riley.  The foundation of the church has been completed, and the ceremony of laying the corner stone was performed.  A copper box was prepared to deposit under the corner-stone, which contained a full history of the parish, the names of the officers, a copy of the Daily Patriot, a copy of the Daily Citizen a Bible and Prayer-book, and a copy of the journal of the last convention.  It is built after the plan of St. Mary's church, Detroit, will seat about 300 people, and is a very creditable church edifice.  When it is considered that the first service in the parish was held in February last it will be seen that a good work has been accomplished.  Mr. Johnson, since that date, has visited the parish once each month, and upon each occasion the attendance has been large and the interest general.  During the time there have been 18 baptisms, and those who attend the service live within an area of 10 miles.


    This nucleus of what may yet be an important town was laid out as recently as 1868, when L. J. Layton built the first store, at present occupied by W. H. Morris.  Nine years later Mr. Layton erected another store, which is now operated by Rappelye & Co.  The hotel of the village is a good, comfortable house, and was also erected by the projector of the commercial structures referred to.  The Episcopal church is a very neat building, semi-Italian in architecture, with a round tower and cupola, which can be seen by the traveler for many miles before he reaches the village.  Rev. Mr. Johnson, of the Episcopal Church, Jackson, attends this mission.  The population is about 105.
    Thomas Tanner, in his references to early days in Henrietta, says:
    "My wife and I moved into the town of West Portage, now Henrietta, Oct. 13,1835.  We took up 100 acres of land, and built a log house on the Indian trail, built the first wagon road, drove the first wagon through the Portage woods, and there we were, alone in the forest, with no neighbors within six miles, except Indians and wild beasts.  The wolves especially were very numerous.  Verily we could look out into the forest and say, 'We are monarchs of all we survey.'  It is now the flourishing town of Henrietta.  I got the first barrel of flour at Ann Arbor.  Drove an ox team through the Portage river with my goods, crossing myself in a canoe cut out of a log.  On the first day of December I drove my oxen through the river and went to Detroit.  I returned in six days and crossed the river on the ice; got my first halt bushel of potatoes of Samuel Wing on that side of Grand river, and carried them home on my shoulder, with the cat which he gave me in the opposite end of the bag to balance.  I sent my oxen to Livingston County, and one of them was taken sick and could not be gotten home until near spring; so I carried my rails on my shoulder to fence four acres round my house.
    "In February I left my wife at home while I went to get my team.  I lost my way, and traveled until evening, when I came to a place where some one had been, but no one lived there.  The first thought was to lie down for the night: but tired, hungry, disappointed, cold and lost, I was reminded that it was very dangerous to lie down where the howls of wild beasts could be heard in every direction; so I took my back track to the house where I last inquired my way.
    "The woman of the house asked me to have some supper; but the frog had got into my throat and I could not talk freely; so I asked her to let me go to bed, where I could rest. The next morning, weary and lame as I was, I started for my oxen.  When I got there I found them not able to be taken home yet.  Without money or means, and in a destitute condition for food at home, it made my heart ache.  As I returned and got within sight of home, I saw my wife sitting on a pile of rails, with work in hand, watching for my return.  I hardly knew how to tell her of my journey's trials.  I sat down on the rails almost in despair, not knowing what to do.  She told me I must not give up yet, as she had got $5.  There were four men looking for land, and had traveled all day in the rain and wanted to stay during the night.  She told them she was alone and had no where to put their horses, and not much to give them for supper.  They stated that they would hitch their horses to the trees and be glad of any accommodation she could give them, if they could stay under cover, for there was no where else to go, and they were wet and weary.  They proved to be gentlemen indeed.  My wife got them supper and breakfast with the provisions they had with them.  They inquired where we were from, how long we had been there, and our circumstances, gave her $5, then shook hands and bade her good-bye.  Five dollars! what a sum in those days.  How it relieved us!
    "At the close of the winter I got my oxen home; then I thought times would be a little easier, but my oxen not liking their place, would get away to the other side of the portage.  One morning I went to drive them home.  The ice had broken up, and going over the river I drove them into the water; but as I was crossing the river on some fallen trees, the oxen would go back.  There was no way but to dive into the stream and swim the river after them; so I buttoned my coat and swam after them.  After I landed I was chilled through, some of my clothes being frozen, and as I thought, 'this settlin' in Michigan is pretty hard.'  I gave way to human weakness and cried like a baby.  Just one week after this I had the same thing to do over again.
    "May 15 our second child was born, and it was the first child born in the township of West Portage, without doctor or doctress, ceremony or custom, no one to welcome or rejoice with us that a son was born into the family.  Sometimes his cries in the house and the howls of the wolves on the outside made matters quite interesting.  He has grown up to manhood and has prospered, and now since 1862 has been engaged in the itinerant work of the Methodist Episcopal ministry as a member of the Michigan Conference.
    THE FIRST TOWN MEETING was held April 24, 1836; the number of votes cast was seven, by the following:—Jonathan W. Davidson, Nelson Lawrenger, Lewis Stowell, John Ney, John Davidson, Solomon Sprague and Thomas Tanner.
    "The first celebration of national independence held in the Portage was at the cottage of A. H. Pennock.  Number present, seven; after a delicious feast of strawberries and cream, we listened to the report of the old shot-gun, as it echoed and re-echoed through the woods.  A glorious Independence Day celebrated by a jubilant company in the woods.
    "In June, 1836, A. H. Pennock and James Chamberlain moved into town.  In the autumn or winter Alfred Hall and Sherlock Patrick came and settled near Pleasant lake.  Several more came here the next April.  In the winter of 1836 I felled the first tree on what is called Westren's Corners, and took four log houses to build for John Westren.  I made the shingles and built two; was taken sick and let the building of the other two to Lorenzo Brown.  At the annual town meeting in April, 1837, 16 votes were cast.
    "The first wheat raised was on John Davidson's farm in the northeast part of the town.
    "In the summer of 1838 a general sickness prevailed throughout the town.  Henry Hurd and wife took their team and provisions necessary and went from house to house to administer to their wants.  There were not convalescent people enough to take care of the sick."
    In the fall of 1839, the subject of the above sketch, with the addition of a daughter, returned to the town of Stafford, in New York State, and in 1859 returned to the State of Michigan, with an addition to the family of four daughters, and they have since resided on their farm, about six miles north of Jackson.  Mr. Tanner died near his home Jan. 2, 1876, aged 62 years, while Mrs. Tanner, who shared all her husband's early trials with such heroic devotion, died at Onondaga, N. Y., Sept. 16, 1875, aged 63 years.


Hiram ARCHER, farmer, sections 4 and 5; P. O.. Henrietta; was born in Orleans County, N. Y., Oct. 2, 1829, and lived with his parents in his native State until they came to the Territory of Michigan in 1836; they located on section 5, and immediately commenced the erection of the first frame house in the township; other improvements were made in due time.  Mr. Archer, being a man of untiring energy, soon had quite a tract of land cleared, and the first wheat sold from the place brought him $1.25 per bushel.  He remained here until his death, which occurred in 1874; Mrs. Archer died Jan. 7, 1824.  Hiram Archer remained with his parents until Oct. 27, 1852  then went to San Francisco, California; he took passage on the steamer Northern Light; after a long and perilous voyage he arrived at Aspinwall where he remained two days, then took cars for Gorgonia, a distance of eight miles, for which he paid $32; hired a mule and went to Panama; remained three weeks, paying $36 per week for board; embarked on board the New Orleans, and after a tempestuous voyage of 39 days landed in San Francisco; took a small boat for Sacramento, where he took his second meal on the Pacific coast, standing in water to his knees.  Two days after he met Mr. James Justice, who employed him to drive stock into the mining market.  On arriving at Auburn the cattle were sold and he started on foot for Nevada; bought for $300 the Mud Flat claims, comprising 300 feet, which were afterward developed and proved to contain immense quantities of gold; selling his claims here he went to Forest City and lost what he had made in Nevada City.

J. L. CONANT, physician and surgeon; P. O., Henrietta; was born in Clinton County, N. Y., June 13, 1831.  His father, Clark Conant, was a blacksmith by trade, and J. L. learned and followed the same.  In 1855 he married Miss Julia Rock, daughter of Charles Rock, of Clinton County, N. Y.; she was born Jan. 28, 1834; their 3 children are—Jessie L., Helen E. and George C. After marrying, Mr. C. followed farming for a number of years, then came to Michigan, where he commenced the study of medicine with Dr. Seeley, of Climax Prairie; remained 13 months, then attended a course at Rush Medical College; graduated at Detroit Medical College Dec. 3, 1880; has been in practice 13 years, and is at present located at Henrietta, where he has a large and lucrative practice.

John E. CONLAN, physician and surgeon, Henrietta Township, was born in Chelsea, Washtenaw Co., Mich., June 19, 1850.  His parents, Arthur and Ellen Conlan, were natives of Ireland.  His mother came to this country when she was three years old and located in Orange County, N. Y.; in 1835 came to Michigan, and in 1854 located in Henrietta, where his father died in 1863.  Dr. Conlan, the subject of this sketch, commenced the study of medicine in the office of Dr. Main, of Jackson, and in the fall and winter of 1875-'6 attended a course of lectures at Ann Arbor, where he graduated in June, 1878.  He is a young man of good address and is gaining a good practice in the vicinity of Gassburg; he is at present town Superintendent of Henrietta; politically he is a Democrat.

J. D. COOK, farmer and stock-dealer, Henrietta Township; P. O., Jackson, Mich.; was born in Sharon, Washtenaw Co., Mich., June 11, 1838; was reared on a farm and received an elementary school education; his parents, James and Harriet (Southwell) Cook, immigrated to this State in 1831-'2, and located in Lodi, Washtenaw Co., where he worked by the day and month; they afterward moved to Grass Lake, Jackson Co., where they lived and died, and were buried in the same grave; his grandfather and grandmother are also buried in one grave.  After J. D. left home he worked out for some time, then bought 40 acres of land in Clinton County, and worked out and paid for it; some time after, he went to California by water, was detained at Aspinwall, and was there at the time the city was burned to ashes; remained in California about two years and nine months; returned to Michigan and commenced farming; was married in 1866 to Miss Laura A. Southwell, daughter of Edward Southwell, a pioneer and one of the early settlers of the county; she was born in this county April 6, 1843; their 3 children are—Nellie S., born Jan. 24, 1867; Eddie D., born Dec. 16, 1869; Edith L., born April 26, 1878.  Mr. Cook has held several local offices of trust in the township; for a number of years has been dealing in stock, shipping to Buffalo and Chicago.  He came to this county a poor boy, but by his own exertions has accumulated a good property and home; has 245 acres of land under good cultivation, valued at $40 per acre; also has lots in the city of Jackson, valued at $3,000.

Frederick FARRAND came to this State in 18—, but did not get possession of the property until long after, when he bought his farm, containing nearly 1,600 acres.  This was, perhaps, the largest tract of land owned by one man at that time.  He came to America in the spring of 1847, having on several occasions been to the States; but on this occasion he came to marry his wife; afterward he returned to England, then back to America to live.  He purchased a large tract of land in the State of New York, where he lived several years previous to his coming to Michigan.  Mr. Farrand has been twice married; his first wife had 1 child, now deceased.  He is now living with his second wife, in this township; he owns the largest tract of land in the township; it comprises about 1,200 acres; he also has other lands in this and other counties in this State, and some in the State of New York.  He has never been satisfied since he came to this country, and now meditates a return to his native land.  He has been engaged in active life for more than 30 years.  While in England, Mr. F. resided in London, where he was engaged in building, and at one time was one of the most extensive contractors in the city, and one of the best architects in England.  Since he came to the United States he has been engaged in farming; he employs about 12 men most of the time on his farm; his farm cannot be excelled for thrift, in the county.  His parents are both dead; he takes no part in politics, but is naturally inclined toward Democratic views.  He is an honored and respected member of the Church of England.

John FLEMING was born in Ireland, Aug. 14, 1827.  In 1835 his parents immigrated to this country, and after a pleasant voyage of 15 days, landed in New York city, where they remained two years; in 1837 they came West and located in Washtenaw County; remained until 1841; then came to this county, and located in Henrietta Township, on section 14, where his parents lived until their death.  There were 5 boys in his father's family, now all deceased but John, who was the youngest; he lives within half a mile of the old homestead.  In 1853 he went to California to seek gold; left New York Jan. 21, 1853, and did not reach his destination until March, 1853.  He was twice shipwrecked.  He did not find gold in paying quantities, as he had supposed, and, not being satisfied with the country, he returned to Michigan in 1860, where he has since been engaged in farming.  In 1867 he married Miss Dorothy Knauf, a native of Michigan.  They have 1 child, Philip, who is now attending school.  Mr. Fleming's early education was rather limited.  He is a warm supporter of Democratic principles; believing that a change is necessary, he is doing what he can to bring it about.

Isaac GLENN, farmer; P. O., Henrietta; was born in Seneca County, New York, July 27, 1828.  When five years of age his parents, John and Jane (Brown) Glenn, emigrated to Washtenaw County, Mich., and took up Government land, made a farm from the virgin soil, and remained on it until his father's death, which occurred in 1869.  His mother is still living on the old homestead, at the age of 73.  The subject of this sketch has been identified with the interests of the county and State.  Since he was five years old he has lived to see it change from a vast wilderness to a beautiful, cultivated country.  He married Miss Mary Ann Lown, daughter of George and Maria Lown, of New York State.  She-was born in Monroe County, N. Y., in 1831.  There are 5 children, 2 of whom are living.  Mr. G. has 237 acres of land; 100 are under good cultivation and valued at $45 per acre.  They are members of the M. E. Church.

Edward HOLLING, farmer, section 6; P. O., Henrietta; was born in Wayne County, N. Y., April 28, 1823, and was reared on a farm.  In 1838 he went to Dupage County, Ill., where he followed farming five years; then returned to his native State.  Being of a roving disposition he followed the sea 12 years.  In 1858 he came to Jackson, Mich., where he purchased 160 acres of timber land, and made a farm which to-day, with its improvements, is worth $60 per acre.  He married Miss Caroline Allen, daughter of Gov. Allen, of New York.  They have 3 children, viz.: Arthur, Lillian, now Mrs. D. Finch, of Waterloo, and Minnie.  Mr. H. has held several local offices of trust.

Alfred HALL, deceased, was born in Berkshire County, Mass., Jan. 13, 1796; was reared on a farm, and received an elementary school education; when a boy his parents emigrated to Jefferson County, N.Y.  In 1812, at the time of the battle of Sackett's Harbor, he volunteered with a company and went, but arrived too late to participate.  The family moved some time after to Genesee, now Wyoming, County, N. Y., as early as 1820, where he formed the acquaintance of and married Sarah Hulbut, daughter of Wm. and Alice Hulbut, natives of New England; she was born Sept. 16, 1802.  There were 4 children, 3 of whom lived to adult life—Mary A., born in Wyoming County, N. Y., Feb. 24, 1833; Nancy M., born in the same county, Jan. 28, 1835, and John A., born in Jackson County, Mich., Dec. 24, 1837, and is the oldest resident who was born in the township who is now living.  The family emigrated to this county in June, 1836, and located on the farm where they now reside.  There were but few railroads at that time; they came by canal to Buffalo, and thence by the United States, which was disabled and had to wait a couple of days, when another steamer came along and landed them in Detroit, where they procured ox teams which took them to their wild home.  There were but four families in the township at that time.  Mr. Hall held several local offices in the gift of the people, holding as many as five offices at one time; was a Justice of the Peace from the time he came here until his death, which occurred Feb. 4, 1851.  Mr. H. died in 1864, a sincere Christian, and loved and respected by all who knew him; he was a member of the Congregational Church.

Edward MALAY, farmer, section 30; P. O., Henrietta; was born in Connecticut, Feb. 15, 1819; was reared on a farm and received a common-school education.  When 16 years of age he engaged in peddling pumps, and followed that for seven years.  In 1840 he married Miss Nancy Wheaton, daughter of Reuben Wheaton, of Yates County, N.Y; she was born in the town of Middlesex, Yates Co., April 7,1825.  There were 10 children, 9 of whom are living, 4 sons and 5 daughters-John E., Chas. C, Ranny, George, Elizabeth, Catharine, Mary, Harriet and Annie.  Mr. M. has 100 acres under good cultivation, valued at $45 an acre.  He came to this county in limited circumstances, but by hard work and good management has made a good home; he has been in the State over 30 years.

John A. McCONACHIE, farmer; P. O., Henrietta; was born in England, April 5,1835, son of John and Mary (Herrin) McConachie, natives of Scotland.  Shortly after the birth of John A., his father came to America, landing in New York city in August, and immediately came West and settled in Washtenaw, where he resided until 1859, then moved to Jackson County, where he remained until his death.  John A. then engaged in the business which his father had so successfully established.  Being master of the situation, as well as of the business, he kept the old customers, and to this list he added new ones.  His health failed, he sold the shop and tools, and purchased a farm in Henrietta, upon which he has since built a house, has made other improvements, and now is surrounded with all the blessings connected with farm life.  Mr. McConachie's first birthday was spent on the waters of the Atlantic ocean.  Oct. 10, 1867, he married Miss Helley; there were two children—Edith and Elizabeth; shortly after the birth of the latter his wife sickened and died; April 6, 1877, he married Miss Louisa J. Weston, a native of Michigan, and by her has 1 child—Eda May.  Mr. McConachie belongs to the Masons, is a member of the Henrietta lodge, and politically is a Democrat; his first vote was cast for Abraham Lincoln in 1860; thinks now that a change is needed and has for several years past cast his vote in the interests of Democracy.  His early education was obtained in good old-fashioned style, the ferule being used without limit, as was the custom in those days.  Although his time was spent in pursuit of knowledge while at school, he did not advance as rapidly as he could with the modern educational improvements; he has paved the way with gold for his children, and they are improving the golden opportunity.

William W. NICHOL, farmer, section 30; P. O., Henrietta; was born in Columbia County, N. Y., Jan. 31, 1829.  His parents were James and Patience (Warner) Nichol, mother a native of Connecticut, and father of Scotch descent, who came to the States at the time of the war of 1812; was by trade a weaver.  Their family consisted of 9 children, 4 sons and 5 daughters, all of whom lived to be adults.  The subject of this sketch came to Michigan in 1845, where he lived with his brothers.  In the fall of 1851, he married Miss Eunice C. Chapman, daughter of E. B. Chapman, one of the first settlers in the county; she was born in Jackson city, in March, 1835, and died in 1861, leaving 4 children—James E., William W., Jr., Julia L., Franklin P.  For his second wife Mr. N. married Miss Alice Bates; their 4 children are—Charles, Albert, Cora E. and Jay.  Mr. Nichol took his land, once a dreary wilderness and made a farm and home; has 85 acres of land, 60 acres under cultivation, valued at $50 an acre.

Charles B. PIXLEY, farmer, section 16; P. O., Henrietta; is a son of Richard P. and Julia (Sanderson) Pixley; father a native of Berkshire County, Mass., and mother of Oneida County, N. Y.  In 1836 he emigrated to Washtenaw County, Mich., where he remained a couple of years, when he came to Jackson County and located in Waterloo Township, where he remained until 1852, then came to Henrietta, and lived until his death, which occurred in April, 1880.  The subject of this sketch was reared on a farm and has followed farming and droving since.  He married Miss Ella Coulston, daughter of James Coulston, of Henrietta; she was born in the city of Jackson April 18, 1849.  There is 1 child—Freddie, born Sept. 23, 1879.  Mr. P. has 340 acres of land, valued at $40 per acre; in politics he is a Republican.

Benona H. PIXLEY (deceased), formerly of Henrietta Township, section 12, was born in Great Barrington, Mass., June 25, 1808; when 25 years of age he came to Lima, Washtenaw Co., Mich., and in 1838 came to Jackson County, when it was one vast wilderness; took up land and made a farm.  He married Miss Lucinda Hilton, daughter of Daniel Hilton, a native of New York; she was born in Yates County, N. Y., Feb. 5, 1816.  There were 8 children, 5 of whom are living, viz.: Helen Mary, Alonzo S., George, Richard P. and Daniel H.  Mr. Pixley came to this county in an early day in limited circumstances; began at the lower round of the ladder and worked himself up until he accumulated a fine property; was a man who always took a lively interest in all the township affairs, and held several local offices of trust in the gift of the people; was Democratic in politics.

Willard REED, farmer, section 21; P. O., Henrietta; was born in Ontario County, N. Y., Feb. 4, 1801; was reared on a farm, and received an elementary school education.  He has been married twice; the first time to Miss Rebecca Holiday, a native of Ontario County, N. T., who died Sept. 18, 1833, leaving 5 children— Eliza, Esther, John T., Mary and Matilda.  After his first marriage Mr. R. moved to Genesee County, N. Y., where he remained 19 years.  For his second wife he married Miss Sarah E. Odiorne, who died Dec. 22, 1847, leaving 2 children—Benjamin F. and Willard H.  Mr. Reed came to Jackson County in 1842, and located on the same section where he now lives.  Henrietta was at that time a wilderness, interspersed with here and there a log cabin.  He has lived to see his township from its infancy to a fine, cultivated township.  He has at present 360 acres of land, valued at $55 per acre, well stocked and under a high state of cultivation.

S. H. SPERRY, blacksmith; P. O., Fitchburg, Ingham Co., was born in Berkshire County, Mass., Oct. 8, 1816; was brought up in a marble mill and quarry.  When he was 19 years of age he gave his father $100 for his time, giving his note for the same.  After leaving home he engaged in a woolen-mill where he remained one year, then went to work in the marble business for a man by the name of Samuel Millard; then drove stage one year: he came to Chenango County, N. Y., and took up blacksmithing without any instruction, and worked two years, then returned to Berkshire County and remained one summer.  In 1845 he came to Detroit, Mich., where he worked at his trade for Silas N. Kindrick seven years; was afterward employed on a steamer on the lakes as second engineer, and was promoted after the first trip to first engineer.  After leaving the lakes he engaged himself to the M. C. R. R. Co., in the shops, and remained two years; was sent as a fireman to Michigan City, Ind.. remained one year; came to Gassbury in 1855, there being only one resident in Gassbury at the time.  He married Miss Lavy A. Kingsby.

Zenas STILLSON, farmer, section 34; P. O., Henrietta; was born in Scipio, Cayuga Co., N. Y., Dec. 23, 1819.  When a young man he followed merchandising, sold goods at auction, and traveled extensively over the country.  In 1832, at the time of the cholera, he landed in Detroit, and came to Washtenaw County, where he kept a public house 16 months, and then came to his present home, where he remained one year, then returned to his friends in Washtenaw County.  In 1837 was driven to such extremes that he had to go into the lakes and gather fresh-water clams and eat them, sometimes without salt; the women joining in the search would wade around and find them with their feet; he also made a hook out of a pail wire to catch fish with, and used to eat them without any butter or lard to cook them in.  He has carried pumpkins on a stick four miles, and one-half of a pumpkin would make them a meal; had to live in a cabin without a roof, covering where the bed stood, and a couple of stones put up for a fire-place; he could lie in bed and see the stars through the roof; the owls used to come and sit on the cabin, and the Indians were as thick as the wolves, which howled around them.  Mr. S. married Miss Catherine Smith, a native of New Jersey.  There were 2 children—Eli and Sarah M.

Dr. James TOWNSEND, Henrietta, was born in Berkshire County, Mass., March 23, 1842.  His parents, Tartullus and Eliza (Ashman) Townsend, emigrated to this county and located in Napoleon Township when the subject of this sketch was three years old; he was reared on a farm until he was 22 years of age; commenced reading medicine with Dr. John R. Crowell, of Brooklyn, and remained with him three years, reading and practicing.  He attended two courses of lectures at Ann Arbor.  He married Miss Jennie Terhune, daughter of Enoch Terhune, of Ann Arbor; she was born in Ann Arbor Sept. 5, 1845, and died Nov. 15, 1878.

Line Divider

Back Home
Backgrounds By Marie

Copyright Genealogy Trails All Rights Reserved with Full Rights Reserved for Original Contributor