People with a Jackson Connection


Line Divider





Howell Llewellyn Begle

      BEGLE, Howell Llewellyn, physician; born Saginaw, Mich., Feb. 12, 1877; son of Charles A. and Sarah (Griffith) Begle; educated in public schools; U. S. Military Academy, 1895-96; University of Michigan, degree of B. S., 1900; Medical Department, University of Michigan, M. D., 1905; post-graduate course at University of Vienna; married Jackson, Mich., June 29, 1907, Isabell Parnell. Began practice at Calumet, Mich., 1905, as physician in hospital of Tamarack Mining Co., and after travel abroad located in Detroit. Director The Yielding Cement Co. Republican. Congregationalist. Member Wayne County and Michigan State Medical societies, American Medical Association. Office: 32 Adams Av. Residence: 51 Gladstone Av.

[Source: The Book of Detroiters. Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, Copyright, 1908, transcribed and contributed by Christine Walters.]


Ralph H Booth

       BOOTH, Ralph H., president The Jackson Citizen Co., Jackson, Mich.; born, Toronto, Can., Sept. 29, 1873; son of Henry Wood and Clara L. (Gagnier) Booth; educated in public schools of Canada and Detroit; married at Chicago, May 23, 1906, M. Mary Batterman. Removed with parents to Detroit, Apr., 1881; began active career with Detroit National Bank, Jan., 1888; with The Detroit Tribune as cashier and later business manager, 1892-95; removed to Chicago, June 25, 1895; with Chicago Journal as secretary and manager, and later became editor and publisher until Apr. 1, 1904, when returned to Detroit, as editor and publisher The Detroit Tribune, later president and publisher The Grand Rapids Herald; now president and publisher The Jackson Citizen-Press; director Pressed Steel Sanitary Manufacturing Co. Republican. Member Reformed Episcopal Church. Clubs: Detroit, Country, Detroit Boat, Y.M.C.A. Recreation: Outdoor sports. Office: 450 Franklin St. Residence: 433 Jefferson Av.

[Source: The Book of Detroiters. Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, Copyright, 1908, transcribed and contributed by Christine Walters.]


LaVerne C. Brown

      LaVern C. Brown, coal and coke shipper; born, Tompkins, Mich. (Jackson), Apr. 26, 1879; son of John J. and Julia A. (Buck) Brown; educated in Ann Arbor (Mich.) High School; married at Detroit, Oct. 3, 1903, Mayme Chaterine De Clark. In retail grocery business at Detroit, 1897-1900; bookkeeper for coal firm, 1900-1904; has been member of firm of J.P. Moran & Co., wholesale dealers and jobbers of coal and coke, since June 1, 1904. Recreations: Fishing. Office: 1002 Penobscot Bldg. Residence: 712 Sheridan Av.


[Source: The Book of Detroiters. Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, Copyright, 1908, transcribed and contributed by Christine Walters.]


Clarence Conely

      CONELY, Clarence, wholesale lumber; born, Jackson, Mich., Aug. 6, 1860; son of John D. and Ruth (Fell) Conely; educated in Jackson High School; University of Michigan, graduating degree of A. B., 1884; married at Chicago, 1895, Miss Charlotte Brooks. Came to Detroit 1880; engaged in civil engineering, 1882-84; entered lumber business with the Parsons Lumber Co., 1884, later with Morley & Co. and Smalleys & Woodworth; was manager of the Vinton Co. for several years; assisted in organizing firm of Conely & Bailey, wholesale, dealers in white pine and Norway pine, Apr., 1907, in which still continues. Independent Democrat in politics. Episcopalian in church affiliation. Member Psi Upsilon. Recreations: Hunting and fishing. Office: 58 Newberry Bldg. Residence: 58 Medbury Av.

[Source: The Book of Detroiters. Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, Copyright, 1908, transcribed and contributed by Christine Walters.]

Warren E Hicks

    WARREN E. HICKS, superintendent of schools of Dickey county, is a young man who has rapidly risen in educational work to a position of prominence. He is an efficient officer, and one with whom all who come in contact are influenced for the up building of the educational system of the state. He has devoted his life to the work, and his personality is pleasing, which together with the capacity and excellent training entitle him to his present position. He was one of the promoters of the State Industrial Training School at Ellendale, and was appointed president of the institution, which office he is ably filling.
    Our subject was born on a farm near River Junction, Jackson county, Michigan, October 8, 1867, and was the third in a family of four children, two sons and two daughters, born to W. B. and Charlotte M. (Shaw) Hicks. The father was born in New York in 1834, and was a farmer by occupation until the past year, when he engaged in the farm machinery business at Frederick, South Dakota. The mother of our subject was a native of New Hampshire.
    When but a child Mr. Hicks accompanied his parents to Cass county, Missouri, where he attended school, and when ten years of age returned to Michigan with his parents and settled near Mason, in Ingham county. At the age of seventeen years he began teaching in that county and taught two years, and then entered the Ypsilanti State Normal, from which school he graduated in the class of '86. He then went to Frederick, South Dakota, where he was appointed principal of the village school, and acted in that capacity six years, five years of which time he also edited and published the "Frederick Free Press." He became principal of the Ellendale, North Dakota, high school in 1892, and filled that position until 1896, when he was appointed to serve an unexpired term as county superintendent of schools, and in the fall of 1898 was elected to that office on the Republican ticket.
    Our subject was married, at Frederick, South Dakota, in 1892, to Miss Jennie Schraudenbach. Mrs. Hicks was born in Wisconsin, in 1870, and is a daughter of Edward and Advina Schrauderbach. Her father was formerly manager of the Frederick, South Dakota, Milling Company, and is now a flour broker, exporting that commodity to all parts of the world. Mr. and Mrs. Hicks are the parents of two children, as follows: Clarence and Marian. Mr. Hicks is a thirty-second-degree Mason and a member of the Mystic Shrine, and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the auxiliaries of these orders. Politically he is a Republican and is a man of broad mind and keeps pace with matters of a public nature.

[Source:  Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900.  Transcribed and contributed by Renae Capitanio.]

Harry D. Mack

    HARRY D. MACK is proprietor and operator of a hotel in Curlew, where he does a thriving business.  In addition to this he owns and operates a number of mining properties, both in Ferry county and British Columbia, while also he has other business interests in different portions of the state.
    Harry D. Mack was born in Brooklyn, Jackson county, Michigan,  on November 12, 1863, being the son of David and Jane (Thompson) Mack, natives of Scotland and Canada, respectively.  They were married in Canada, whence they came direct to the United States, settling in Michigan, where they remained for the rest of their lives.  The father enlisted in the Civil war in 1864, and served on the bridge or carpenter corps to the end of the struggle.  He died November 16, 1868, while coming home from war.  Our subject is the youngest of the family and his brothers and sisters are named as follows:  Elzina Leonard, William, Mary, deceased, Ida and Lyda, twins, the former married J. Smith and the latter Mr. Ingalls.  Our subject received his first schooling in Brooklyn, Michigan, and at the age of fourteen laid aside his books and took up the stern duties of life.  He first served as bellboy in several hotels in Detroit, Michigan, for four years.  After this he came west to Miles City, Montana, with an engineer corps on the Northern Pacific.  Later he became timekeeper, after which he opened a restaurant in Billings, Montana.  In 1883 he started a fruit commission establishment in Bozeman, Montana, shipping the first train load of fruit in that state.  From there he went to Helena, where he opened a restaurant and in 1884 came to Coeur d’Alene during the gold excitement.  After prospecting some time, he went to Butte, Montana, and continued again in the restaurant business.  From that place Mr. Mack went to Redcliffe, California, where he was in business for a time, then traveled for two years selling medicine.  Following this, we find him in British Columbia operating a hotel in Nelson, whence he went to Greenwood, where he continued in the same business and also devoted some time to prospecting.  He did business in Republic in 1891, and in 1892 opened his hotel in Curlew, which he operates at the present time.
    On October 3, 1899, Mr. Mack married Miss Caroline Bolton, a native of Iowa, who came west to Oregon in 1896, and to Grand-forks, British Columbia, in 1899.
    Politically Mr. Mack is a Republican, and always takes an active interest in the campaigns, while in his fraternal relations he is allied with the Eagles, being a popular and capable man.

[Source:  “An Illustrated History of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan, and Chelan Counties in the state of Washington”; Western Historical Publishing Company, 1904. Tr. by Rhonda Hill.  Transcribed and contributed by Kim Torp.]

Frank Sanford

    Barnes county's well-known and popular register of deeds has an interesting record, and from the study of his life history one can learn valuable lessons. The spirit of self-help is the source of all genuine worth in the individual and is the means of bringing to man success which has no advantages of wealth or influence to aid him. It illustrates in no uncertain manner what it is possible to accomplish when perseverance and determination form the keynote to a man's life. Depending on his own resources, looking for no outside aid or support. Mr. Sanford has become one of the most prosperous and influential citizens of Valley City.
    He was born in Liberty township, Jackson county, Michigan, September 25, 1860, a son of James P. and Cornelia (Nutten) Sanford. The mother, who was a native of Pan Yan, New York, died in Michigan, at the early age of thirty-two years, and for his second wife the father married Alice McCormick, of Rochester, New York. He was born in the Empire state in 1830, but since a boy of four years has made his home in Michigan, and is now living on the farm which has father, Abraham Sanford, took up from the government. The later removed to that state when it was still a territory, and helped construct the old state road from Detroit to Chicago. He died in Jackson county, Michigan, in 1880, at the age of seventy-seven years and five months.
    Frank Sanford attended the district schools near his boyhood home and later was a student in the high school at Hillsdale, Michigan. On leaving that institution he went to Logansport, Indiana, where he took a course of study in higher mathematics at the Smithson College and remained there until the schools was abandoned. On his return to Michigan he taught school for a number of terms in that state and also for one term at Momence, Kankakee county, Illinois.
    On the 18th of March, 1882, Mr. Sanford first set foot in Valley City, North Dakota, and at once locate land on section 20, township 142, range 59 west, as a homestead. He also took up a tree claim and pre-empted other land. Industrious, enterprising and persevering, he has met with well deserved success during his residence in this state, and is now the owner of a two and three-quarter sections of land in one body, while his wife has a section of very fine land in Griggs county, North Dakota. He was first married, November 20, 1879, to Miss Esther Rhoades a native of Jackson county, Michigan, who died on the homestead in Barnes county, North Dakota, June 26, 1882, and on the 13th of October, 1886, he led to the marriage altar Miss Helen S. Kingsley, a native of New York state.
    Mr. Sanford has always taken an active part in political affairs and is a stanch supporter of the Independent party. He has represented his district on the board of county commissioners, being elected in 1891, and in 1894 was first elected register of deeds, in which office he is now serving his third term with credit to himself and to the entire satisfaction of all concerned. He is a prominent Mason, a member of the Mystic Shrine which meets at El Zagal temple, Fargo. For the success that he has achieved in life he deserves great credit, for it is due entirely to his own well-directed efforts and good management. During his early residence in this state he would return to Michigan during the winter and teach school in order to defray the expenses of improving his land.

[Source:  Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900.  Transcribed and contributed by Syndi Phillips.]

Rev. H. F. Spencer

SPENCER-BUNTING – In Eden, Erie county, N.Y., Oct. 12th, by Rev. H. F. Spencer, of Jackson, Mich., Mr. H. S. Spencer, of Harrisburgh, and Miss Julia A. Bunting, of Eden.

[Source:  The Journal And Republican (Lowville, NY) – Wednesday, October 19, 1870.  Transcribed and contributed by Jim Dezotell.]

Warren L. Thayer

     The first appearance of Warren L. Thayer in Oklahoma was as a harvest man. About fifteen years ago he took up a Government claim in Harper County, and his prosperity and influence has been steadily growing ever since. He is now one of the leading citizens and business men of Laverne.
    His birth occurred February 27, 1880, at Union City, Michigan, a son of Robert M. and Frances M. (Blosser) Thayer. His father, who was of Scotch parentage, was born June 17, 1855, at Jackson, Michigan, and was a lumberman until he came to Oklahoma in 1901. In that year he took up a claim in Woodword County and became active in the organization of Ellis and Harper County. He now owns and operates a large stock farm seven miles from May. Robert M. Thayer was married in 1877 and his wife was born November 30, 1854, at Logan, Hocking County, Ohio, a daughter of Abraham and Miriam (Graffis) Blosser, who were natives of Pennsylvania and of Dutch stock. Mrs. Thayer had a college education and is an active member of the Methodist Church. Their children are: Warren L.; Goldie, who was born March 23, 1888, and is now the wife of Bert B. Waltman, a railway official in Denver, Colorado: Pearl Blanche, who was born August 3, 1891, and is now the wife of Bynum Bouse, a rancher at Des Moines, New Mexico; Ernest Blaine, who was born May 7, 1894, and now lives at Laverne, Oklahoma; and Katie Lorena Thayer, who was born July 16, 1896, and is now the wife of W. T. McNeil of Beaver City, Oklahoma.
    At the age of seventeen Warren L. Thayer completed a high school course at Knoxville, Tennessee, and at the age of twenty-one graduated A. B. from the Ewing and Jefferson College in Blount County, Tennessee. It was with this education and preliminary experience that he came to Grant County, Oklahoma, and spent his first season in the harvest fields. He also taught school one term. Then in 1901 he settled on his claim of Government land in Woodward County, and by hard work and good judgment has become one of the extensive farmers of that section, having a large tract under cultivation. For one year he was connected with the Spearmore State Bank of Laverne, but is now engaged in a prosperous life insurance business at Laverne. He is also interested in oil properties in Oklahoma and Texas as a promoter and developer, and having read law in the intervals of his business pursuits was admitted to the Oklahoma bar in 1916 and is now prepared to practice his profession. Mr. Thayer is a member of the Masonic Order, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the Knights of Pythias and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Politically he is a republican.
    On January 12, 1910, at Coleman, Texas, he married Miss Sallie May Smith, who was born at Alvarado, Texas, January 8, 1887, a daughter of Thomas and Emma (Quinn) Smith, natives of Texas. Mrs. Thayer is a granddaughter of Deaf Smith, a pioneer scout and frontiersman in Texas, a historic character in the Texas Revolution, and his name is indelibly impressed upon Texas geography in Deaf Smith County, which is now the largest county in area in the United States. Mrs. Thayer completed her education in a Texas college. They have three daughters: Helen, born January 19, 1911; Dorothy, born August 24, 1918; and Virginia Pauline, born February 16, 1916.

[Source:  A Standard History of Oklahoma, Volume V; by Joseph B. Thoburn; copyright 1916; Transcribed by Andaleen Whitney].



Line Divider

Backgrounds By Marie

Copyright © Genealogy Trails All Rights Reserved with Full Rights Reserved for Original Contributor