The act of the Legislative Council of Michigan
Territory, approved March 29, 1833, declared that all that part of the
county of Jackson comprised in surveyed townships 3 and 4 south, in
ranges 1 and 2 east, should be called Napoleon, and the first township
meeting be held at the house of Aaron B. Goodwin. The township
was first settled in 1832, but was not set apart as a separate township
until 1859. The first township election was held on the 4th of
April, 1859, and Roswell B. Rexford was chosen supervisor, with Brian
Bently, town clerk.
Mr. A. B. Goodwin was the first settler in Napoleon
village, coming into the town in May, 1832. He was an Indian
trader, and was led into this part of the country while following his
business. He brought his family, a wife and adopted daughter,
with him. His nearest neighbor was Charles Blackman, who had
settled on the Chicago road in Lenawee county a few years
previous. Mr. Blackman had taken up land in Napoleon in 1831, but
did not settle upon it. Mr. Blackman, Mr. Goodwin and Abram
Bolton, of Coldwater, commenced quarrying stone from the quarry
afterward owned by Morgan Case and William Allen.
The first postoffice was opened in December,
1832. Samuel Quigley was postmaster. The town was named
after Napoleon Bonaparte, at the request of Mr. Bolton.
Abram F. Bolton settled in Napoleon in August, 1832,
and built a log house. His daughter, Caroline, born in November,
1832, was the first child born in the town.
Chauncy Hawley came to Napoleon from Washington
County, October, 1832. Mr. Hawley located the southwest quarter
of section 31. Morgan Case came here in company with Mr. Hawley
in 1832, and Horace Dean came at the same time.
Among others may be mentioned Henry Hawley, Israel
S. Love, Roswell B. Rexford, John T. Ford, Win. Hunt, Lyman Hunt,
Samuel Quigley, and George L. Dinsmore, all of whom came in the spring
of 1833. Dr. Benjamin S. King came in the summer of this year,
and was the first physician.
Louisa M. Swain taught the first school in 1833, at the house of Samuel
Napoleon sent out her quota at the call of the
nation in the defense of her flag. On the 28th of October, 1862,
Sergeant Oscar E. Miller, Corporal G. Myron Hawley, and Privates Dwight
C. Slack, Alonzo D. Palmer, and George D. Peck were buried in one grave
with military honors at Napoleon. They fell on the battlefields
of South Mountain and Antietam.
The village is situated on the Jackson branch of the
Michigan Southern railroad. It occupies a pleasant position upon
a plateau, surrounded by a rich and highly cultivated agricultural
section. Stone lake is one and a half miles from the depot.
A very fine and substantial school building was erected in 1869.
It is brick, and two stories. The village contains two churches,
Baptist and Methodist Episcopal.
Lewis Case plowed the first furrow.
The town embraces some of the finest farming lands
in the county. The soil is well adapted to wheat, and the water
facilities are such that the farmers have a ready market at home, where
the proprietors of the mills are prepared to purchase all that they
The first supervisor of the township, as it existed
in 1833, was Harvey Austin; the first clerk, J. H. Otis; the first
assessors, Isaac Sterling, A. F. Bolton and William Hunt; first highway
commissioners, James Loke, A. B. Goodwin, Isaac Sterling; the first
school commissioners, John Emmons, J. H. Otis, Harvey Austin; the first
overseers of the poor, A. F. Bolton, George L. Pear, William Babcock
and James Loke, with the latter as township collector.
The first district school was built in 1835, on
section 6, 4 S., 2 E. The first church was built at Napoleon for
the Methodist society. Since that early day the Baptist,
Congregational and Free Methodist societies have erected pretentious
houses of worship. Now there are two brick and four frame
school-houses in the township.
John Dewey opened the first store in the village
during the spring of 1835, and the last important branch of industry
was inaugurated in 1875 by Hawley & Co., the owners of the steam
grist-mill. This company also run a grain-cradle factory.
The present township officers include C. R, Palmer, S. V.; T. E.
Curtis, Clerk; J. Caldwell, Treasurer; William Smith and H. C. H. Dean,
Drain Commissioners; R. R. Cooper, Amos Phillips, T. T .Townsend,
Justices of the Peace.
Methodist Episcopal.—The first sermon preached in
Napoleon township by a Methodist Episcopal minister was in the evening
of Nov. 13, 1833, the night of the great "star-fall," or meteoric
shower. The preacher was probably Rev. Colelazer, whom night had
overtaken while traveling through this section. After this,
meetings were held in private houses until 1838. They effected a
permanent organization April 1, 1815, under the charge of Rev. Hiram
Law, Jr., pastor of what was then the "Albion circuit," Michigan
Conference, and comprised the following members: Ralph and Margaret
Covert, Elsy Meeks, John and Miranda Chapman, John Logan, Peter Storm,
Charles C. Dewey, Priscilla Green, Julia Ann Smith and Mary
Elliott. Of these 12, six are still living. Soon afterward
they were added to the Jackson circuit, still later to the Grass Lake
circuit, and finally to Napoleon, as this place became more populous.
In the summer of 1845 the society resolved to build
a church, although it numbered but 18 members. They appointed as
trustees, E. Manly, J. Bivins, R. W. Squires, R. Covert, J. H. Chapman,
Gardner Gallup and C. C. Dewey. A lot was donated by W. S.
Blackmar. They erected a building, which they used until 1875,
when they commenced a new one, now nearly completed, at a cost of
$6,000. The present Board of Trustees are, Joseph Colwell, I.
Wood, S. W. Palmer, W. S. Blackmar, Samuel Finch, R. W. Square, E. P.
Lapham, and the minister is Franklin Bradley. The society is now
comprised within the Detroit Conference.
The First Baptist Church of Napoleon was organized
in June, 1834. The constituent membership consisted of the
following: R. B. Rexford, Betsy Rexford, Horace Dean, Lucina Hawley,
Louis Ann Hawley, Lucy Hawley, Louisa M. Swain, C. S. Swain, Paulina
Austin, Morgan Case, Betsy M. Case, Elijah Weber, Sarah Weber, Joseph
King, Peleg King, Ransom Jones, Day Jones, J. S. Love, Nancy Love and
Lewis Case. The first board of trustees consisted of R. B.
Rexford, Horace Dean, Simon Holland, Morgan Case, J. H. Burroughs and
J. S. Love. R. B. Rexford and Horace Dean were the first deacons
elected. Rev. C. H. Swain preached the first Baptist sermon in
the town, two years before the organization of the Church, and became
its pastor. The following pastors succeeded him: J. D. Fulton,
Salmon Morton, Norman Chase, Ezra Ruinery, D. Babcock, J. A. Keyes,
Peter Van Winkle. Robert Powell, V. Church, J. P. Wade, H. B.
Fuller, Henry Davis, D. B. Davis, D. E. Hills, Frank S. Lyon. The
Church dedicated its first house of worship in 1845, and the second in
June, 1871. The present membership is 150.
Following are biographical sketches of many of the representative
citizens of Napoleon township.
Solomon D. ALCOTT, farmer, section 23; was born in
Lorain County, Ohio, Feb. 15, 1823, son of Seth R. and Lucy Alcott, nee
Frost. They were natives of Connecticut, and moved to Lorain
County, Ohio, in 1820, where they engaged in clearing up a farm among
the heavy timber, in which he continued to farm until his death, May 8,
1856. His mother died Feb. 15, 1869, on the birthday of her
son. The subject of this sketch received what education he has by
odds and ends,—some days at school and some in the timber chopping with
his father, until he was 21 years of age. He went South and
worked on the railroad four months; and, concluding that occupation was
not suitable to him, he returned to Ohio, and concluded to try a
trade. Accordingly, he went to Connecticut and entered a bolt
factory, where he remained six months. He then went into the
Collins Ax Factory, in the same State, where he remained from 1845 till
June, 1847. He then returned to Ohio, where he again engaged in
chopping for a few months, in that big timber where his father lived,
and then in the summer he farmed for several months; took sick, and for
one year he was compelled to sit by and recover sufficiently to enable
him to farm, which he followed until 1850; he then returned to the
Collins Ax Factory, where he again worked for 14 months, and in the
spring of 1851 he got the California fever and started for the golden
coast. After he arrived in port he started out chopping wood the
first winter, and in 1852 he took up gardening for the summer, and his
luck was to lose a summer's work through the sharpness of his
partner. He then had to tug through the winter, working at
whatever he could find to do, until the spring of 1853, when he entered
the mines, where he remained three years and a half. He then
returned to Ohio, satisfied with the gold regions of California, and
bought 50 acres of land, on which he commenced to farm.
In 1858 he married Elizabeth Atkinson, who was born
in England, Sept. 25, 1828, and was the daughter of Richard and Martha
Atkins, nee Nettleton. They came to America in 1850, and located
at Ridgeville, Lorain Co., Ohio, where they engaged in farming and
still reside. The family consisted of 2 children—Seth R., born
Jan. 7, 1859, and died Jan. 14, same year; and Mary M., born Jan. 4,
In 1862 Mr. Alcott enlisted in the war of the
Rebellion, in the 103d Ohio Inf., and served three years. He was
in a good many engagements during the time; was wounded at the battle
of Resaca, Ga., in the right thigh and thumb, which disabled him from
duty for a number of months. He was confined in the hospital and
was home on furlough a few months, and, returning to the army, he was
transferred to the invalid corps, and guarded the prison at Camp
Douglas for several months. At the close of the war he returned
home and engaged in farming; in the fall of 1866 he sold out his farm
and moved to Jackson County, Mich., and located on a farm of 240 acres
of land, which he has well improved and is quite valuable, with good,
new buildings. He is a solid Republican.
Wm. S. BLACKMAR was born in the town of Wales, Erie
Co., N. Y., Feb. 24, 1814, and was the son of Charles and Ellen
Blackmar, nee Rice. His father moved to Ohio in 1826, where he
followed farming until 1829, when he removed to Lenawee County, Mich.,
and began a residence among the wild woods, with the savage Indian for
his neighbor, and the wild howl of the wild animals. He was one
among the earliest to locate the stone quarry in Napoleon Township,
which he figured in largely. Aug. 24, 1834, he died at his home
in Lenawee County, and in 1856 his mother died at the old home.
The subject of this sketch did not have the facilities in his day to
educate himself, and had to obtain his education by odds and
ends. In 1844 he was married to Catherine Loucks, and they had 2
children—Octavia, now Mrs. W. H. Loomis, and Howard, who died in
1847. Mr. Blackmar lost his wife, and in 1851 he was again
married, this time to Pyra Blair, by whom he had 2
children—Ellen, now Mrs. C. Richards, and Charles, who died in
1854. He again lost his wife, and in 1857 was married to
Christiana Bulkin, and of their 4 children the surviving are—Anna and
William S. He came to Jackson County in 1857, and located in the
town of Brooklyn, and continued to carry on his farming for a few
years. He then moved near the town of Jackson, and began land
speculation in connection with his farming. He then moved to the
town of Grass Lake, where he located and began to improve the farm and
keep a hotel, which he now owns. He owns 180 acres of land,
besides town property in Napoleon. He is now engaged in the
mercantile business in Napoleon. He and his wife are members of
the M. E. Church.
Bethuel BROMLEY, farmer, section 4, was born in
Clinton County, N. Y., Dec. 28, 1815, son of Eli and Deborah Bromley,
nee Sherman, who were natives of Vermont. They moved to New York
State in 1815, where they engaged in farming and lumbering. His
mother died in 1852, and his father in 1874, in New York. The
subject of this sketch received his education in the common-schools of
New York State, and was raised on a farm; remained with his father
until he was 25 years of age. In 1839 he was married to Mary Ann
Lewis, who was born in the same county and State, Jan. 13, 1818.
He moved in 1840 to the town of Plattsburg, on Lake Champlain, where he
entered land and farmed for one year. He then moved into the town
of Chazy, where he engaged in lumbering for four years. He then
moved to Franklin County, town of Chateaugay, where he purchased 120
acres of land and began farming again, on which he lived two
years. He sold out and bought another farm of 103 acres, which he
cultivated four years, selling out again and purchasing another farm of
40 acres, which he improved, and where he lived two years; trading this
place for his old farm, he continued for a number of years, and in 1855
he sold out his farm and came to the State of Michigan, locating in
Jackson County, Napoleon Township, on the farm he now owns. At
that time it consisted of 100 acres, which was partially
improved. He went to work, cleared up his farm, and he has added
60 more acres to it, and now owns 160 acres, which he has nicely
improved with good house and barns of modern style, and which is worth
$75 per acre.
He had 2 children—Adelaide, now Mrs. A. C. Lester,
and Aledero (deceased). In 1862 he was again married, this time
to Lucy Blood, who was born Nov. 11, 1837, in Vermont, the daughter of
Truman and Brintha Blood, nee Burt. By this marriage there is 1
child—Ernest K, born Oct. 31, 1864. Politically, Mr. B. is a
Richard B. BRUNK, farmer, section 32, was born in
Genesee County, N. Y., Feb. 16, 1842, the son of Peter and Mary Ann
Brunk, nee Todd. They were natives of New York State, and he is a
farmer by occupation. The father died in New York State and his
mother in Western New York July 4, 1871. The subject of this
sketch received his education in the common schools of his native
State, and was reared on a farm; at 22 years of age he came West and
located in this county, where he learned the carpenter and joiner's
trade under A. J. Vanwinkle; he followed that occupation from 1864 to
1875. He was married March 25, 1868, to Emeline Smith, daughter
of Chauncy C. and Harriet Smith, nee Vanwinkle; they have 1
child—Minnie E., born Dec. 30, 1875. In 1875 he bought a farm
consisting of 40 acres of land, situated on section 32, which he now
has under a fair state of cultivation, and which is worth $50 per
acre. In politics he is and has always been identified with the
G. W. BURTLESS, grain dealer, was born in Seneca
County, N. Y., Aug. 29, 1828, second son of John and Sarah Burtless,
nee Huff. His father's occupation was that of farming. He
came to Washtenaw County, Mich., in 1836, where he continued to farm
until 1877, when he moved to the town of Napoleon and retired from
labor. He died May 17, 1878, in his 82d year. His mother
still lives in the town of Napoleon. The subject of this sketch
received his education in the common schools of Michigan; at the age of
21 he began working for himself. In 1852 he was married to Hannah
Bostedor, who was born in Allegany County, N. Y., in 1832. Their
family consists of 1 child, Etta N. born in 1859. Mr. B. came to
the county in 1856, bought a farm, and returned to Washtenaw County in
1861, where he continued to farm until 1865. He again returned to
the town of Napoleon, where he carried on farming in connection with
the grain business. He now is engaged principally in the grain
and coal and lime business. His wife is a member of the M. E.
Jacob V. CARMER, Napoleon, was born in Orange
County, N. Y., Oct. 5, 1802. His ancestors were Protestant
emigrants from the confines of France and Germany, who were driven from
their homes by the persecutions of the Romish Church, and established
themselves on Manhattan Island, when it was called New Amsterdam.
Jacob V. was the son of Thomas Carmer, and his grandfather's name was
Henry Carmer; the latter married Martinta Vanderhoof and resided on a
farm in New Jersey. When Thomas was 14 years of age he learned
the tinsmith's trade in New York State and commenced business at
Goshen, Orange Co. Here he became acquainted with, and married,
Miss Mary Gale, daughter of Abraham Gale, Jr., whose ancestors came
from England and purchased large tracts of land from the Indians.
Jacob V., the subject of this sketch, was educated
in the district schools of his native county, and of Sussex County, N.
J. When he was 12 years old he went to live with his maternal
grandfather, and remained with him six years; then rented the homestead
farm, containing 316 acres, nearly all of which was under
improvement. He remained on the farm six years, but was not
successful. He had saved $1,200, and with this capital went into
the mercantile business with James C. Havens, and continued in the same
two years. In 1827 he married Eleanor Van Auken, daughter of
Elijah and Catherine (Cole) Van Auken. In October, 1828, went to
housekeeping in New York city, and engaged in the grocery business
under the firm name of Adams & Carmer. The next spring his
wife's brother-in-law, John Dunning, was admitted to the firm and a
feed and flour store was added to their business. In the fall of
1831 he started a wholesale trade in butter and cheese, under the firm
name of Van Auken & Carmer. In 1834 Mr. Canner's health
failed and he was obliged to give up business for nearly two years;
visited Niagara and Buffalo; came to Detroit by steamer, and to Ann
Arbor by stage; visited several points and finally made a small
investment in Jackson; then went to Illinois in the employ of the New
York and Illinois Land Company, looking up their patent lands, grading
lands, and entering other wild lands for their company; remained in
Illinois five months; returned to New York in October and engaged in
the dry-goods business nine years.
Mr. Carmer was originally a Democrat, but after
coming to Michigan he acted with the Whig party until the organization
of the Republican party, and has voted that ticket ever since. In
1873 he lost his wife, who was in the 77th year of her age. Their
family consisted of 7 children, of whom 3 are living, viz.: Lewis A.,
now living in Olean, New York; Ann Adelia, now Mrs. Rex-ford, and
Jennie M., now Mrs. Colgrove, of Mason, Ingham Co. The deceased
were James H., Adelia, Catherine S. and Jesse V. A. Mr. Carmer
still resides on the home farm where he first located; his daughter,
Mrs. Rexford, lives with him. Her husband died at Nashville,
Tenn., Aug. 3, 1873. Mr. and Mrs. C. and their ancestors were
Presbyterians, but after coming to Michigan they were two of the 13 who
organized the first Congregational Church at Napoleon. Mr. C. has
been a very active business man and suffered all the privations and
hardships incident to pioneer life. He has done much to relieve
his country from political oppressions. A portrait of Mr. Carmer
will be seen on page 967.
Albert CASE (deceased) was born in Washington
County, N.Y., July 18, 1812. He was the son of David and Abigail
Case; was raised on a farm and received his education in the common
schools of New York, and was among the pioneers of the county who came
to Jackson County in 1833, and located on a farm, which he began to
improve until his death, Nov. 3, 1877. He was married in 1837 to
Lucy Horth, who was born in Washington County, N. Y., Jan.
17,1820. They had a family of 4 children—-Delos, Adelbert F.,
Laura Ann, and William Edgar, all of whom reside in the county except
the latter, who resides in Chicago, a barber by occupation. She
still resides on the homestead, which consists of 100 acres. Her
son carries on the farm for her. She is a member of the Baptist
Church of Napoleon.
Morgan CASE was born in the town of Hartford,
Washington County, N. Y., March 16, 1807. He was the son of
Daniel and Abigail Case, nee Harden; his father was a native of
Connecticut, and a farmer by occupation. He came to New York in
an early day and continued to carry on farming until his death in
1848. He was in his 65th year, and his mother died in 1845, in
her 60th year. The subject of this sketch was educated in the
common schools of New York, and at the age of 20 years he began to do
for himself. He worked out by the day and month, as he could,
until he was 25 years old; he then, in 1832, took to himself Miss Betsy
Nelson, who also was born in Hartford, Washington Co., N. Y., in 1810,
and immediately after their marriage they moved West and located in
Jackson County, Napoleon Township, on section 6, where they began to
open a farm among the wilds of a new country. He entered 120
acres of Government land, on which he built a log house and lived for
many years; at that time there were only three other houses in the
township. Their family consisted of 3 children—Warren was the
first male child born in the township, and now lives in Columbia
Township; Emeline was born in 1837, and died in 1838; and Walter was
born in 1839, and died in 1859. Mr. C. now resides on the spot
where he first located in the county; he is now 74 years of age, and
his wife is 70. Thus two old pioneers still live to see the vast
amount of changes taking place daily. They have been members of
the Baptist Church in Napoleon, since 1831. Mr. Case has held
nearly all the township offices. In these he used good
judgment. He now owns 500 acres of land in Napoleon and Columbia
townships, which is worth at a fair valuation $30,000.
J. H. CHAPMAN (deceased) was born Feb. 15, 1809, and
was the son of Amasa and Lydia Chapman, nee Hunt, natives of New
York. Mr. Chapman was raised on a farm and educated in the common
schools of New York. He was first married Dec. 27, 1827, to
Lavendee Hoxie, who was born Dec. 1, 1810, in New York State. Mr.
C. came to Michigan in 1837, where he engaged in farming. Their
family consists of 6 children, 4 boys and 2 girls—Minerva J., now Mrs.
Sam. Cox; Amasa J., Franklin B., Augusta H., John D., and Lavandee, now
Mrs. William Wall. July 6, 1843, he lost his wife, and was again
married, to Amanda Russell, who was born in New York Oct. 1, 1821, and
was the daughter of Tartillus and Anna Russell, nee Hall. They
had 6 children, 3 of whom are now living: Lydia M., Laura F., now Mrs.
Sylvester Warner, and Clarence C. The 3 deceased are Jacob R.,
Lawrence H. and Anna. Mr. Chapman died May 25, 1878, in his 70th
year. Mrs. C. still lives on the homestead with her son Clarence
C, who carries on the farm.
A. C. CLARKE, farmer, section 5, was born in Erie
County, N. Y., July 29, 1816, son of Archibald S. and Chloe Clarke, nee
Thayer. His father was a native of Massachusetts, and mother of
Western New York. His father was a lawyer by occupation, and was
prominent among the early settlers of New York State, and at the time
of his death was a Representative in Congress. He died while home
on business Nov. 3, 1821. The subject of this sketch received a
common-school education, enough to enable him to carry on any branch of
business. His mother moved upon a farm in New York,, where they
lived until 1840. He, together with his mother and 2
brothers, came to Michigan, where they purchased a farm and carried on
agriculture together for two years. He then bought out his
brother's interest in the farm and continued to carry on the
same. He was married to Jemima Litchfield, who was born in
Chesterfield, Mass., Dec. 17, 1813, and was the daughter of Ensign and
Mary Litchfield, nee Haden. They have had 7 children, 5 of whom
are now living—Augustus C, Reuben R., Emeline, Ellen Sophia, now Mrs.
Hyde, and Ida, now Mrs. Preston. The 2 deceased are Oscar L. and
Eugene B. He has held the office of Constable and been Deputy
Sheriff for over 30 years, and was also Town Treasurer. He now
has 159 acres of land, which his 2 sons cultivate. In politics
Mr. Clarke is and always has been a Democrat.
Byron COOLEY, telegraph operator, freight and United
States Express agent, at Napoleon, was born in Oakland County, Mich.,
Jan. 28, 1834, the son of Samuel L. and Electa Cooley, nee
Woodruff. His father's occupation was always farming, at which he
is still engaged, in Hillsdale County, Mich.; his mother died in 1846,
when Byron was only a small boy, and his father afterward was married
to Lydia Carter. The subject of this sketch received his
education in the common schools of Hillsdale County, and remained with
his father on the farm until 23 years old, when he chose the occupation
of railroading, and commenced as teamster on the M. S. & N. I. R.
R., and now the L. S. & M. S. R. R., and continued to work, first
at one thing and then another, until now he has charge of the present
office, having continued in the employ of said road from the first
until the present. He was married in 1860 to Sarah E. Collins,
who was born in New York. Their family consists of 4
children—George, Jennie, Charles and Grace. He is a member of the
Masonic fraternity at Hillsdale, Lodge No. 93.
Freeman B. CROSBY, physician, was born in
Martinsburg, Lewis Co., N. Y., June 27, 1828, son of Jonathan H. and
Charlotte Crosby, nee Barnes; father was a native of Vermont, mother of
Massachusetts. They came to Jackson County in 1838, and located
in Napoleon, where he engaged in farming until his death in 1866.
His mother died in 1843. The subject of this sketch, Freeman R., was
educated in the common schools and reared on the farm. In 1858 he
took up the study of medicine under Dr. N. S. Whiting. He
attended courses of lectures at the University in Ann Arbor during
1859-'60 and 1862, and entered the 17th Mich. Reg., as Assistant
Surgeon, under Dr. J. D. Bevier, and remained until 1864, being at
Fredericksburg, Vicksburg, siege of Knoxville. He then returned
home to Napoleon, where he took up the practice of medicine two
years. He then moved to Henrietta, where he practiced 18
months. He then returned to Napoleon, continuing in the
profession. He was married in February, 1865, to Nancy Andrews,
who was born in New York. They had 2 children, of whom 1 is
living—Mattie W., born in 1869. One died in infancy. Mrs.
Crosby died June 3, 1875.
Ralph COVERT, Justice of the Peace, was born in the
town of Ovid, Seneca Co., N. Y., March 17, 1811, son of Peter A. and
Mary Covert, nee Swarthout. His father was born May 2, 1780, in
New Jersey, and his mother in Orange County, N. Y., Dec. 27,
1782. His father's occupation was a farmer. He died Sept.
6, 1823. His mother died April 30, 1861. The subject of
this sketch was raised on a farm and educated in the common
schools. At the age of 16 he took up the study of music, which
art he afterward taught. In 1833 he married Margaret N. Moody,
who was born in the town of Lodi, Seneca Co., N. Y., Feb. 17,
l816. In 1834 he came to Michigan and located in Washtenaw
County, where he opened a new farm on which he continued to live 16
years. He then traded for a farm in Jackson County, consisting of
160 acres, where he lived eight years, when he sold and bought 200
acres west of Stone lake. Here he lived until 1873, when he moved
to the village of Napoleon. Their family consists of 4
children—Edward M., John, Henrietta, now Mrs. Stephenson, and Morris
H. April 19, 1872, he lost his wife, and married Sept. 27, 1873,
Aurelia Lewis, who was born in Akron, Erie Co., N. Y., July 4, 1846,
and was the daughter, of Geo. and Philida Lewis. She taught
school at the age of 15 for three terms, and then took up the
dress-maker's trade, which she has accomplished to perfection.
Mr. Covert has held the office of Town Clerk, Road Commissioner and
School Inspector. He is now Justice of the Peace, and he has been
a member of the M. E. Church over 40 years. His wife is member of
the Baptist Church.
Horace DEAN, whose portrait will be found on page
435, was born in the township of Windsor, Vt., May 11, 1809, son of
Noah and Sally Dean, nee Russell, natives of Vermont, the father a
farmer. He moved to the town of Hartford, N. Y., where he carried
on farming until his death, and his mother died in the same town.
The subject of this sketch received his education in the common schools
of New York, and in October, 1832, he came to Jackson County, where he
entered Government land, and returned to New York in 1834, and was
married to Clarissa M. Shaw, who was born Sept. 3, 1812, and
immediately after their marriage they returned to this county, where
they continued to farm. He now resides on the same farm he
entered in 1832. Their family consisted of 3 children, 1 now
living—Julius P., and 2 deceased, viz:—Willard F. and Horace.
They have 1 adopted child, Hattie, now Mrs. Kendrick. He has held
different offices in the township; he now owns 160 acres of land, in
Napoleon Township, which is worth $60 per acre. He and his wife
are members of the Baptist Church, which he joined in New York in July,
J. P. DEAN, farmer, section 2, was born in Jackson
County, Mich., Sept. 19, 1835, son of Horace and C. M. Dean, who were
among the pioneers of the county. He was reared on a farm and
received his education in the common schools of Jackson County.
He was an attentive boy, minded his own business and stayed at home
with his father. He married in 1869 Miss Lucy Maria Weeks, who
was born in the same county Nov. 20, 1837; brought her to his father's
house and continued to live as son and daughter in the same house till
1874, when he moved upon the farm he now owns, consisting of 120 acres,
with good house of modern style and everything in abundance around him
to cheer and comfort him in his declining years. Their family
consisted of 3 children, viz.: Marion L., born June 27, 1863; Nora O.,
born July 8, 1866; and Villa F., born March 19, 1878, died Aug. 2,
1879. Mr. D. stands at the head of his class among the citizens
of Napoleon Township. He is generous hearted, full of fun, and
believes that this is a world of enjoyment for the human family, and
that each one must look out for himself in this life if he expects to
reach that enjoyment necessary to make home pleasant. He is
always at the head of any enterprise which is for the good of his
fellow-man. He is a member in full standing in the Baptist Church
at the quiet little town of Napoleon, and is a Republican, always ready
to advance its cause and, its interests, and is a strong supporter of
Charles C. DEWEY was born in Boonville, Oneida Co.,
N. Y., Nov. 16, 1816, the son of John and Anna Dewey, nee Hawley.
They came West in May, 1835, and located in the township of Napoleon;
where he engaged in the mercantile business, in connection with
farming. He died in 1871, in his 84th year, and his wife died
March 2, 1879, in her 91st year. She embraced the Christian
religion, and for 60 years continued to follow its precepts. The
subject of this sketch received his education in early life,
principally in the common schools, finishing up his studies at Lowville
Academy, N. Y.; came with his parents to Jackson County, Mich., and
assisted his father in the mercantile business, and worked at
farming. In 1848 he was married to Elizabeth Smith, who was born
in 1825. Their family consisted of 4 children; the living are May
and Lilla: Emma and Lillian are deceased. He has held the office
of Justice of the Peace for 27 years, Township Clerk, School Inspector,
and is classed among Napoleon's best citizens. He owns 150 acres
of land, besides town property in the town of Napoleon, and at the
present time is engaged in merchandising in connection with Win. S.
Blackmar. He is a descendant of Thomas Dewey, who was born in
Sandwich, Kent, England, near Dover, and emigrated to America in
1633. In tracing down to Charles C. we have the seventh degree of
relation, 248th year transcendent. He is also one of the ardent
supporters of the M. E. Church.
Reuben H. DEYOE was born in Saratoga County, N. Y.,
June 24, 1831. His father, Thomas Deyoe, and his mother,
Elizabeth, nee Hart, were natives of New York, and had 10 children, 5
of whom are living, the subject of this sketch being the oldest
son. The first 10 years of his life were spent on the farm, his
father being a prosperous farmer. At the age of 12 years he went
into a cotton factory to work, his father having lost all his property;
from that time he took care of himself, and helped to support the
family. He staid in the factory five years, and when he left,
there was no part of the machinery but what he was familiar with.
At the age of 17 he went into a blacksmith shop to learn the
trade. After a few months he bought out his employer and ran the
May 22, 1850, he left his native place with his
family for Michigan. Their journey was tediously slow. They
arrived in Springport, Jackson Co., Mich., June, 1850. The spring
of 1851 he bought his first farm, located two and one-half miles
southeast of Springport village, making as first payment a watch,
valued at $10, and $10 in work. Then began hard work to subdue
and improve his new farm, and make a home for his father and
mother. Jan. 28, 1858, he married Sarah Wellington, second
daughter of William Wellington, of Springport, Jackson Co., Mich.
She was born April 31, 1836. She lived about 13 months, dying
Feb. 18, 1859. Soon after his marriage he turned over his
interest in the old farm to his younger brother for the support and
care of his father and mother, the brother doing his duty faithfully by
the old people. The father died July 31, 1880, and at present the
mother is tenderly cared for on the old homestead.
After leaving the old farm, the subject of this
sketch engaged in various pursuits, principally farming. On Nov.
3, 1862, he married Kate E. Wellington, of Scipio, Hillsdale Co.,
Mich. She was born May 30, 1840, in Hanover, Jackson Co., Mich.,
and was cousin to his first wife. Their family consists of 2
children—Lillian S., born July 29, 1866; Jay W., born Nov. 17, 1870,
both in the town of Springport, Jackson Co., Mich.
The subject of this sketch enlisted in the army of the Rebellion
December, 1863. He joined the old Michigan infantry, then changed
to heavy artillery; was principally doing garrison duty,holding Fort
Gaines, Mobile Bay, Ala., 10 months, from there to various points along
the Mississipi river till the close of the war; was discharged Aug. 21,
For the next seven years he lived in the town of
Springport, Jackson Co., engaged principally in farming. In the
year 1872 he sold his farm, purchased another north of Tompkins Center,
and in connection with farming sold groceries, and held office of
Postmaster for three years. In the fall of 1875 he purchased a
large farm on Gravel Road four miles north of the city of
Jackson. March, 1877, he sold half his farm and moved into the
city, Jackson; during the next three years he was engaged part of the
time in selling groceries and keeping wood-yard in connection with
farming. In the fall of 1879 he came to Napoleon, fitted up a
brick store near depot, and engaged in the grocery and general
April 4,1881 he left Napoleon for Dakota, to try his luck at
wheat-raising on a big scale. He left his family in Napoleon.
Wm. DILLEY, farmer, section 2, was born in Erie
County, town of Newstead, N. Y., Sept. 29, 1814; son of Strennahan and
Aner Dilley. His father died when the subject of the sketch
was only a small boy in New York State, and his mother afterward
married Cole Quithell, with whom he resided until he had reached the
11th year of his age, when he was thrown upon his own resources for
support and raiment. He engaged at different kinds of work,
mostly as a farm hand, and received his education as he could get it
from most any source. Thus he continued to work and save out of
his earnings as much as he could until 1837; was married to Lucenia
Hunt. She was born in Otsego County, town of Middlefield, Oct.
10, 1811; after their marriage they continued to live in New York,
where he carried on farming and coopering for 12 years, and in 1854 he
came to Jackson County, Mich., and bought the farm he now owns,
consisting of 160 acres of land, which he has well-improved with good
house and $75 barn. Their family consisted of 7 children, of whom
only 2 are living, viz.: William and Fidelia, now Mrs. Knight; 5
deceased, viz.: Polly Ann, Eliza J., Lucenia F.; 2 died in infancy.
His wife and daughter are members of the Baptist
Church at Napoleon. Politically he is at the present time identified
with the Greenback party.
H. B. ELDRED (deceased) was born in Chautauqua
County, N. Y., Jan. 9, 1832, and was the son of Carter and Keziah
Eldred, nee Brace. They were natives of Herkimer County, N. Y.,
farmers by occupation, and moved to Jackson County, Mich., in an early
day, and located on a farm, where they continued to live until his
death. Mr. Eldred was reared on a farm and received his education
in the common schools of Michigan. Oct. 6, 1860, he was married
to Belinda Edwards, who was born in Lenawee County, Mich., Oct.
17,1835. She is the daughter of Andrew and Mary Ann Edwards, nee
Burtless, who were also natives of New York, and came to Michigan in
1833, locating in Lenawee County. Her father died April 1, 1841,
and her mother now resides with her. Their family consisted of 2
children—Louis H. and Fred O. Mr. Eldred still resides on the
homestead, which consists of 360 acres of land, which is well improved
and worth $60 per acre. They are members of the Congregational
Church at Napoleon. A portrait of Mr. Eldred appears on page 453
of this work.
J. C. ELDRED (deceased), who was born in Warren
County, Conn., May 27, 1808, was the son of Zenas and Lucy Eldred, nee
Carter. They moved to the State of New York in an early day,
where they located on a farm, on which they lived until their
death. The subject of this sketch received his education in the
common schools and remained with his father until his marriage April
13, 1831, with Keziah Brace; she was born in Winfield, N. Y., May
4,1811, and the daughter of Asahel and Katie Brace, nee Curtis.
They were natives of Connecticut. After their marriage they moved
to Sheridan, Chautauqua Co., N. Y., where they farmed for five years;
they then sold out and came to Jackson County, Mich., where he entered
and bought some 400 acres of land, on which he continued to farm until
his death, Jan. 27, 1849. He left a family of 6 children, viz.:
Henry B., Orlo E., Rufus C, Cynthia K., Zenas C. and George K.
After his death she married for her second husband William Calkins, who
was born in New York, Oct. 17, 1799. He had by his former
marriage 7 children, and he continued farming until his death in
1879. She still resides on the old homestead and is now in her
70th year, and has in her possession a few old relics, that were owned
by her former relation, over 50 years old, grandfather's knee-buckles
and a pair of earrings. Of her family there is only 1 son now
living, Zenas C, who resides in the city of Jackson. Mrs. Calkins
is a member of the Congregational Church at Michigan Center.
Rufus C. ELDRED was born May 24, 1835, son of the
subject of the preceding sketch. Soon after his father's death he
went to reside with an uncle, Fredrick S. Eldred, who at that time
resided in Johnstown, Wis., at present Janesville, Wis. He
remained with him until he was 21 years of age, when he went to
Minnesota and purchased 160 acres of land. Remained there a year
or so, after which he sold his land; from there he went to Nashua,
Chickasaw Co., Iowa, where he remained in business four years.
While there he formed the acquaintance of Miss Maggie M. Woodbridge,
whom he married Jan. 1, 1862, and started directly for his early home
in Michigan. He there located on a farm consisting of 205 acres,
situated five and one half miles southeast of Jackson city, at what is
known as Eldred Station, where he remained until his death, which
occurred Sept. 3, 1873. He was well known all through this
section, and is highly respected by all who knew him. He left 3
small children, namely: Ada H., who was born Dec. 28, 1865; Abbie D.,
born Feb. 14, 1868; Maggie Maude, born July 21, 1872, died Dec. 30,
Phillip FARLEY (deceased) was born near Saratoga
Springs, N. Y., May 2, 1818. He was the son of James and
Elizabeth Farley, nee Jenkins. They are natives of New York and
both deceased. His father was a farmer, and the subject of this
sketch received his education in the common schools of New York,
remaining on the farm with his father until he was 15 years of
age. He then went to the town of Graham, Ontario Co., N. Y.,
where he completed his education and learned his trade, which he
followed until he was 29 years of age.
He was married May 12, 1845, to Mary Rogers, who was
born in Ontario County, N. Y., Oct. 12, 1845, and was the daughter of
Samuel and Mary Rogers, nee Barkin. They were natives of New
York, her father died in 1861; and her mother, who was born May 11,
1790, still lives and resides with her daughter, Mrs. F. They
continued to live in New York until 1853, part of which time he
followed farming on 40 acres of land. They moved to Lenawee
County, Mich., where they bought a farm, on which they improved and
lived until 1869; they sold out and moved to the present farm,
consisting of 156 acres of land, which is nicely improved and worth $75
per acre. Their family consisted of 6 children, viz.:Laura Dorlisia,
born July 28, 1846, now Mrs. A. Hooven; Charles Newton, born Sept.
29,1848; Mary Jane, born May 2,1851; Sarah Elizabeth, born June 14,
1856, now Mrs. Jones Vandercook, and Carrie Inez, born April 11, 1861;
1 deceased, Phineas James, born May 25, 1859, and was killed at Battle
Creek, Mich., by accident, while standing on the railroad track, Sept.
Mr. Farley died Oct. 14, 1870, in his 52d
year. His widow still resides on the farm; most of her family
still remain at home with her.
Elial GALLUP, farmer, section 32, was born in Erie
County, N. Y., March 28, 1821, son of John and Polly Gallup, nee
Close. His father was a native of Vermont, and his mother of
Ohio. His mother died when he was only four years of age.
His father was a soldier in the war of 1812. The subject of this
sketch received his education in the common school, and remained at
home until 24 years of age. He then commenced farming for
himself; was married in 1842, to Electa Dolph. She was born in
the same county and State, March 6,1824. Their family consists of
4 children, viz.: Reuben E., Albert H., Harriet E. and Sarah. His
father came to Jackson County, Mich., January, 1850, where he bought
270 acres of land, on which he carried on farming until his death,
March 4, 1852. Our subject came to this county Dec. 25, 1865, and
purchased the farm he now owns, consisting of 85 acres of land, which
he has well improved, worth $75 per acre. In politics he is an
ardent supporter of the Democratic party.
Allen GREEN, retired, was born in Rhode Island, Oct.
11, 1789; was the 5th child of Ebenezer and Phebe Green, nee
Allen. He died in New York, in 1822, in his 60th year, and his
mother died in 1843, in her 93d year. The subject of this sketch
received his education in the common schools of New York, attending the
academy in Sangerford, New York, for six months. He then taught
school for 16 years in his native State. In 1835, Dec. 23, he
emigrated to Jackson County, Mich., where he purchased land of the
Government, and began to open a farm, teaching school during the winter
months for three years. He first bought — acres of Government
land, and afterward bought of settlers 280 acres. He was married
in 1820, to Mary Nichols. She was born in Connecticut, May 10,
1801. Their family consisted of 4 children. The living
are—Henry Clinton and Hopy, now Mrs. Leonard Hoskins; deceased,—Mary
M., died Feb. 10, 1834, and Allen Ogden, April 6, 1873. He lost
his wife June 27, 1879, in her 78th year. He kept the first hotel
ever kept in Napoleon in an early day. He divided his property
among his children and now resides alone in the town of Napoleon, and
is in his 92d year.
Henry G. GREENE, was born in Oneida County, N. Y.,
October, was the 4th child of Allen and Mary Greene. Came to
Jackson County with his parents in 1835; received his education in the
common schools; attended the Albion College. At 22 he took up the
general sale of lime and bought wheat. He was married in 1870 to
Ellen Shea. She was born in Ann Arbor, Washtenaw County. He
now owns 40 acres of land in Napoleon Township, worth $50 per acre, and
owns property in the town of Napoleon to the value of $2,000; is a
member of the M. E. Church, and also of the A. F. & A. M., No. 301.
J. C. GRIFFIN, farmer, section 32, was born in
Washington County, N. Y. , March 1, 1817, son of Oliver and Louise
Griffin, nee Carpenter. His father was a farmer and contractor in
New York. Took the first contract on the Northern canal, in N. Y.
State, and threw out the first shovel of dirt from same. He
followed his occupation until 1836, when he came West and located in
Jackson County, where he took the trade of shoemaking, which he
followed for many years. He then moved to Mason, Ingham Co.,
where in connection with his son, R. F. Griffin, he carried on the
manufacturing of boots and shoes until his father's death in 1874, in
his 90th year. His mother died in 1846 in her 52d year.
The subject of this sketch grew up under many
disadvantages. He received his education principally by odds and
ends as he could find time, and when only a boy 11 years of age he
worked out by the day and month, and had accumulated up to that time
$30, which he had laid away. He came to Michigan with his father,
driving through. Much of the time it rained and the mud was deep,
and they could drive all day and at night look back and see their
campfire of the previous night, but by persistent effort they arrived
at their destination. He then set out to work for himself, to
obtain a home of his own. His first work was in a stone-quarry,
for which he received $12 per month, and then on a farm. He
continued to work by the day and month until 1843, when he had
accumulated some $500. He bought 80 acres of land on section 5,
in Napoleon Township for $600. In 1845 he was
married to Julia Burge. She was born in Jefferson County, N. Y.,
April 2, 1826, and was the daughter of Seth and Lucy J. Burge, nee
Smith, who came to Jackson County, Mich., in the fall of 1835.
Her father died in 1853, and her mother still resides in Muskegon, with
her son. After their marriage they moved upon his farm. He
has 200 acres, all of which was obtained by his own labor. His
farm is now well improved and worth $100 per acre. Their family
consists of 3 children, Ursulus A., Elmore L. and Arrabell. His
two sons are following after their father's course of life. They
are homesteading land in the great West, in Dakota Territory. Mr.
G. is an earnest Republican, and one of the organizers of the
Silas F. HARVEY (deceased) was born July 25, 1800,
near Lake Champlain in Vermont, where his early life was spent in
mercantile pursuits. He came to the Western Reserve in Ohio and
was married at Hiram in 1837 to Betsey Henry, daughter of Reuben and
Martha (Hawley) Henry, then pioneers of Napoleon, this County.
They came to Napoleon in 1839 and settled four miles west of the
village. Here were born all but their first child—Augusta P.,
Oct. 26, 1838; the next, Cynthia D., March 13, 1841, and Harriet, May
1, 1843, who died in her seventh year; Rhoda L., born Nov. 22, 1846,
and Arthur W., Sept. 22, 1851. Mr. Harvey died Christmas morning,
1858, after nearly 60 years of exemplary Christian life. During
the 20 years he lived in the neighborhood, he had been the means of
maintaining religious worship in the old school-house, and many of the
old neighbors remember how his almost inspired words and manner
thrilled them the last prayer-meeting before his death. The
eldest daughter, then Mrs. Chas. E. Miller, died, and all her 3
children, in the winter of 1870. The second daughter, now Mrs. H.
F. Thomas, and the youngest daughter, now Mrs. C. H. Bany, reside in
Jackson city. The son, Arthur W., after graduating at the
University and the Detroit Medical College, practiced medicine in the
County for a few years. He died, unmarried, at the home of his
then eldest sister. The following lines were written and
published at the time:
SHALL KNOW AS WE
To the memory of Dr. Arthur W. Harvey, who died In Jackson, Jan.
know he died; yet he lives again
Away from suffering and pain,
In some bright clime.
'Twas only the casket they laid away,
The form we loved that was only clay,
Which God will raise at some future day,
In his own time.
Can he be dead while others live?
He who loved all the earth could give
Of happiness and bliss?
Ah, no! but in the angel's land,
He lives where the redeemed stand,
A pure and spotless white-robed band,
In a brighter world than this.
And though our hearts keep asking,
why In early manhood he must die,
While others stay,
A voice comes down through all the years
Whispers sweet words to calm our fears,
And through the mist of falling tears
Shows us God's way.
A way that seems so dark and still—
We wonder can it be God's will,
This cruel pain ?—
This yearning, longing just lo know
Where heaven is,—the wish to go
With him away; we loved him so;
But all in vain.
No answer comes—no gleam of light;
God keeps His plans from mortal sight,
Nor tells us why.
By faith and not by sight we go
Along this earthly path below;
This mystery we may not know
Until we die.
Then we shall know as we are known,—
Know why our lives with grief are sown;
Shall know why Arthur died;
Shall see the weary way he trod
Was the narrow way marked out by God;
Then wait, and bow beneath the rod;
We'll know beyond the tide.
Then trust in Jesus, dry your tears;
He is better far than all our fears;
It is all right.
No pain can come to Arthur there,
Temptation can not come, nor care,
No shadows in that land so fair,—
No gloom of night.
Arthur has gone; his work is done;
Life's battles fought, the victory won;
While we must wait.
It matters not how rough the way,
How wild the storms, how dark life's day,
If the path but lead along the way
There we shall meet loved ones at last,
Earth's wrongs made right, all sorrows past—
Each heart all purified.
We'll meet the loved again in heaven,
Where sweetest ties can ne'er be riven,
Where angels live and crowns are given,
Where all are satisfied.
B. P. HAWLEY, miller, cider and jelly manufacturer,
was born in Greene County, town Baltimore, N. Y., July 15, 1837, son of
James P. and Nancy Hawley, nee Vanstyke. He was raised on a farm,
and educated in the common schools of New York. At the age of 20
years he commenced to do for himself, working out by the month and day;
came to Jackson County and worked one year for J. V. Carmer, then
commenced to farm for himself; worked on shares two years; bought 40
acres of land, afterward adding 40 more, on which he farmed five years;
sold out and followed blacksmithing and wagon-making two years;
followed threshing during the fall and in the winter.
Manufactured the Hawley Grape-Vine Grain Cradle five years; sold out,
and in the spring of 1875 built the mill, at a cost of $5,000,
consisting of two run of burrs; the following year he added to his mill
the cider and jelly machines, at a cost of $2,000, and can manufacture
100 barrels of cider per day. During the year 1880 he made up 29,000
bushels of apples, which made 3,600 barrels of cider, and 10,000
gallons of jelly. The mill has a capacity of 100 bushels of wheat
per day; 200 of corn and oats. He was married Jan. 18, 1861, to
Mary K Hawley, daughter of C. L. Hawley; she was born in this County,
Jan. 18, 1838. Their family consists of 3 children—Erwin, Arthur
and Homer. His mill and home property is worth at a fair
valuation, $9,000. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M. at
Napoleon, and is identified with the Republican party and its interests.
Frank J. HAWLEY, butcher, was born in Greene County,
N. Y., June 25, 1848, son of James P. and Elizabeth H. Hawley, nee
Bedell. His father was a farmer and a native of Connecticut; his
mother of New York. His father moved to New York when young,
where he was raised on a farm and educated in the common schools.
In 1860 he moved to Jackson County, where he continued to farm until
his death, in April, 1866. His mother moved to the village of
Napoleon, where she now lives with her son Frank, who was educated in
the common schools of Jackson County. He continued to follow
farming until 1877, then took up the butcher trade in Napoleon, and
continues to carry on the same in connection with Russell Talmage.
Charles L. and Henry, sons of Lyman and Jerusha
HAWLEY, were natives of Connecticut. Their father was born Dec.
8, 1787, and died April 20, 1875, in his 88th year; their mother was
born Jan. 5, 1788, and died in 1848, in her 62d year. Charles L.
was born in Leyden, Lewis Co., New York, May 9, 1811, and Henry was
born March 26, 1813. They were educated in the common district
schools of their native County. In 1834 their father came to this
County, where he carried on the trade of carpenter and joiner, which
occupation the sons followed. They continued to work at their
trade with their father for many years, until their father's health
failed; they then continued the business alone. They bought 40
acres of land and carried on farming during summer, and worked at their
trade during the winter months. In 1850 they commenced the
manufacturing of the grape-vine cradle; they fitted up a shop with
engine, and have continued the business to the present time, finding
ready sale for all they can make. They now own 215 acres of land,
which is worth $75 per acre. March 5, 1837, Charles L. was
married to Emily Griffin, daughter of Oliver and Louisa Griffin,
natives of Massachusetts; she was born Sept. 30, 1831; their family
consisted of 1 daughter—Mary R., born Jan. 19, 1838, now Mrs. Perry
Hawley. July 7, 1880, Mrs. H. died. Henry was married Sept.
18, 1844, to Amelia M. Griffin, sister to his brother's wife; she was
born May 18, 1825, in New York, and they had 1 son— Wallace A., born
March 11, 1848, and was married Jan. 10, 1871, to Mary E. Russell, born
in New Jersey, and died May 30, 1871. They have always lived
together in the same house, and eaten at the same table. They
have spoons that have been in constant use over 100 years, and a
tobacco box that was carried in the old Revolutionary war by Phineas
Silas P. HUTCHINSON, retired, was born in New York,
May 20, 1811; son of Amaziah and Betty A. (Mack) Hutchinson, who were
classed among the early settlers of Ithaca, on the head of Cayuga lake,
in 1813; he emigrated to Ohio, where he died in 1823. He was a
fuller and dyer by trade, which he carried on until his death; he was
in his 60th year. His mother died in Ohio, in 1852, in her 75th
year. The subject of this sketch received his first schooling in
the common schools of Ohio; attended the academy at Worthington, Ohio,
three months during the winter season; at 17 years of age he returned
to New York, and attended the academy at Ithaca for three years; he
then clerked in a store for one year; he bought an interest in the
store and carried it on five years; sold out his interest and moved to
Franklin County, Ohio, where he again followed the same business five
years; he again sold out his stock of goods and moved to Calhoun
County, Mich., for a short time; carried on blacksmithing at
Manchester, with other branches of business until 1849; came to
Napoleon, where he again took up the mercantile business, which he
followed 20 years; gave up the business, on account of his
deafness. He was married in 1833, in New York, to Armenia F.
Crane, who was born in 1810, and died in the town of Manchester, Mich.,
in 1846. Their family consisted of 3 children—Eugene W., enlisted
in the 1st Reg. of Michigan, Engineers and Mechanics, in 1861, and died
in May, 1862, at Huntsville, Alabama; Lyman A. was drowned in the mill
pond at Manchester, in 1844, while at play on the staging; and one
daughter, Frances A., now Mrs. B. F. Hawley. In 1847, Mr. Hawley
was again married, to Mary Ann Davis, born in Franklin County, Ohio,
Dec. 31, 1818. They have 2 children: Dwight W., born in October,
1850, and S. P., born in August, 1855. Mr. Hawley is living a
retired life in the village of Napoleon; both are identified with the
Baptist Church at that place.
John S. LEE, blacksmith, was born in Erie County,
Penn., Feb. 18, 1852; son of Perry and Rebecca (Blake) Lee, natives of
Pennsylvania. His father was a blacksmith by occupation, and John
S. in early life learned the same trade, under his father's
instruction. He received his education in the common schools of
Mill Village, Erie Co., Penn., where his father still resides. He
continued with his father until he had obtained a thorough knowledge of
his trade, when he commenced for himself. He came to Napoleon and
purchased property to the value of $1,600, on which he now lives, his
mother resides with him. Mr. Lee also has a brother, Winfield,
who was born Feb. 24, 1847, and is a painter and engineer. Mr.
Lee has a good shop, where he is prepared to do all kinds of work in
his line. In politics he is neutral.
Isaac I. LEWIS was born in Scottsville, N. Y., Jan.
7, 1834, son of Thomas J. and Dolly (Derby) Lewis. His father was
a farmer; he emigrated to Jackson County in 1836, and located in
Napoleon Township; purchased 80 acres of Government land, and lived
here until his death in 1863. His mother died in 1845.
Isaac received his education in the common schools of this County; was
only two years of age when he came here. At the age of 16 he
began to learn the carpenter and joiner's trade, which he followed for
three years, then purchased a farm and turned his attention to farming
for two years; worked at his trade and manufactured wagons, sleighs,
cutters and buggies three years; exchanged his farm for town property
and followed milling two years; built his mill and commenced the lumber
business and planing-mill and carpentering; in four years discontinued
the lumber trade and added a saw-mill; then added a second engine, with
which he used to saw during the winter months and thresh during the
summer. At the present time it is in the best of order. He
was married in 1856 to Louisa M. Gallup, who was born in this County
Dec. 24, 1839. They have had 5 children; the living are—Minnie
F., now Mrs. Myron J. Laflare; Horace M. and Morris H., twins, and
Nellie. Eugene died in 1862.
Rev. Frank S. LYON was born in Fairfield County,
Conn., Dec. 7, 1848. In his infancy his parents moved to Tompkins
County, N. Y., where he was reared to manhood and educated at
Trumansburg Academy and Madison University, at Hamilton, N. Y. He
was ordained a minister of the gospel according to the usages of the
regular Baptist Church at Attica, Seneca County, O., April 4, 1872,
where he remained as the Pastor of the Baptist Church three years, the
Church prospering under his ministry. In 1875 he accepted a call
from the Baptist Church at Manchester, Washtenaw Co., Mich., to which
place he removed, and completed a successful pastorate of about three
years. At Manchester he was for weeks hovering on the line of the
valley of death under a very severe attack of typhoid fever; during his
convalescence he was called to the pastorate of the Baptist Churches of
Napoleon and Brooklyn, Jackson County; accepting the call, the brethren
of said Churches removed him and his family to Napoleon, amply
providing for them, where he now resides, having been pastor here over
three years, accomplishing much good and holding the esteem and
confidence of the community at large, and the love and respect of the
Church of which he still holds the pastorate. Soon after his
ordination Elder Lyon was married to Miss Hattie A. Crawford, daughter
of W. J. Crawford, M. D., of Tiffin, Seneca Co., Ohio, Oct. 9, 1872.
The fruits of this marriage are 3 children—Mary E., William C. and
Florence. Rev. F. S. Lyon is the eldest son of Charles and Mary
Lyon, who bore 6 children, 4 of them boys, and 2 girls, all of whom are
grown to man and womanhood and in active pursuits of life. The
mother is living, and is a vigorous woman, but the father gave himself
to his country to maintain right and liberty in 1861; was taken
prisoner by the rebels and starved to death in Andersonville prison
Feb. 10, 1865, leaving his family with a humble home but no means of
support save the pension of the common soldier. These
circumstances threw Frank S. Lyon on his own resources, and without aid
he worked and obtained his education by perseverance and trust in
God. He is of a vigorous physical make-up, of bilious-sanguine
temperament, stands nearly six feet high, dark complexion, weighs 170
pounds, of good mental make-up, a strong, useful man, successful in
winning souls and building up Churches under his charge; only 32 years
of age. We may reasonably expect of him usefulness and prominence.
C. D. MORSE, farmer, section 36, was born in Nunda,
Livingston Co., N. Y., June 4, 1835, son of D. D. and Susan (Van
Winkle) Morse, who were natives of N. Y. The subject of this
sketch received his education in New York, and learned the trade of
wheelwright with his father, for whom he worked until coming to this
State. He was married to Mary C. Noble. She was born Dec.
15, 1844, and was the daughter of Leonard and Anna Noble, who came to
the State of Michigan and located in Livingston County in 1835.
In 1873 they moved back to Connecticut, and her mother died Feb. 8,
1875, and was brought back to the State of Michigan for burial.
He now owns 121 1/2 acres of land, which he has well improved, and
worth $60 per acre. They are both members of the Baptist Church
at Napoleon, and politically he is a Republican.
D. D. MORSE, farmer, section 32, was born in Essex
County, N. Y., Dec. 18, 1809, son of Dr. D. and Pearl (Marks)
Morse. They were natives of Hartford, Conn., and moved to Eastern
New York in an early day, where they located on a farm, and resided
until 1819; they moved to the western part of New York, where they
continued to farm until their death. The subject of this sketch
received his education in the common schools of New York; in those days
they had to labor under many disadvantages which the rising generation
of today knows little of, and by his diligence in study he attained a
good business education. He worked at home with his father until
he was 13 years old. He then worked for three years in a cotton
factory, where he learned the trade of wheelwright, which he followed
from 1825 to 1854. He was married in 1833 to Susan Van
Winkle. She was born in New Jersey, March 18, 1810. They
had a family of 4 children, 2 of whom are living—Charles D. and Clara
S., now Mrs. Wright. In the spring of 1854 they came to Jackson
County, Mich., and bought a farm of 80 acres, where he engaged in
farming. His wife died Feb. 10, 1872, and he was again married,
May 7, 1873, to Emeline Barrett, who was the widow of John E.
Drake. She was born in the town of Mason, Hillsborough Co., N.
H., June 28, 1817. She had by her former marriage 4
children. He and wife are members of the Baptist Church; he is a
Republican in politics.
Court R. PALMER, farmer, was born in Madison County,
N. Y., Oct. 14, 1833, son of Joshua G. and Esther Palmer, nee
Randall. His father and mother were natives of Connecticut, and
came to New York in an early day, where they lived until his mother's
death in the town of Lexington, Conn., in 1839. His early
occupation was that of a farmer. He died at the home of his son,
who is the subject of this sketch, Jan. 16,1868. Mr. P. was
raised on a farm in New York State, and educated in the common schools,
and in 1863 came to the State of Michigan, where he bought land on
section 1, where he now resides.
He was married in 1863 to Miss Augusta Carr; she was
born in Michigan. Their family consists of 3 children—Lewis
Grant, Walter Sherman and Herbert Frink. He is Supervisor of his
township, and the owner of 172 1/2 acres of land. Is a member of
the Baptist Church at Napoleon, and a leading citizen in the township,
and one who has used his ability to aid in the collection of the matter
pertaining to the township history of Napoleon.
Martin F. PALMER, farmer, was born in Madison
County, N. Y., March 1, 1839, son of Joshua G. and Esther Palmer, nee
Randall. His father was a farmer in York State, born in
Connecticut; his mother of the same nativity. His father died in
1868, his mother in 1849. The subject of this sketch was raised
on a farm, and came to the State of Michigan in 1854. He returned
to New York, and was married in 1856 to Mary Farley. She was born
in Madison County, N. Y. He returned to his home in Michigan,
where he continued farming. He made several changes, when in 1869
he located on the present farm, consisting of 109 acres, and 25 acres
on Stone lake. The family consisted of 4 children—Llewellen,
Edward E., Charles M. and Maria, deceased. His present weight is
375 pounds, and has weighed 396. His wife weighs 225, and one son
that weighs 250, an aggregate of 850 pounds. Mr. P. claims to be
the first man in the State of Michigan that started to make the famous
cider jelly, which he first made in 1862. He converted 500
barrels of cider into jelly in 1880. They are all members of the
M. E. Church at Napoleon.
Henry PELHAM, farmer, section 35, was born in
Delaware County, N. Y., Feb. 20, 1834; was the son of Richard and
Abigail (Every) Pelham. They were natives of New York. He
came to Jackson County, Mich., in the fall of 1835, and located in
Columbia Township; he was one of three who built the Brooklyn
Mill. He was educated in the schools of Jackson County, and
remained with his father until he was 21 years of age; he then was
married, in 1855, to Ellen Bolton. She was the first white female
child born in Branch County, Mich., May 1, 1830, and was the daughter
of Abram F. and Lydia Bolton. They had a family of 6 children, 3
of whom are now living—Walter B., Charles W. and James H.;
Deceased—Mary L., Richard B., and Aby A. Mrs. B. previous to her
marriage, was a school-teacher, her husband being one of her
pupils. Mr. P. bought the first steam-thresher brought into the
township, and has been engaged in threshing since 1861. He and
wife are members of the Baptist Church at Napoleon.
Albert H. REED, M. D., physician and surgeon, was
born in Washtenaw County, Michigan, Nov. 25, 1842, son of Nathan and
Mary (Wilber) Reed; his father was a native of New York, and a
farmer. He emigrated to Jackson County in 1833, where he engaged
in farming. His mother died Sept. 8, 1858; she was in her 37th
year. The subject of this sketch received his education in the
schools of his native County. Enlisted in the 24th Michigan
Infantry in 1865, and served until the close of the war, when he
returned home and engaged in farming, which he followed for two
years. He entered the State University at Ann Arbor, Michigan,
and graduated from that institution in 1870; he then commenced the
practice of medicine in the town of Jefferson, Columbia Township, where
he continued for two and one-half years, and in April, 1876, he came to
Napoleon, where he now has a large practice. He was married in
1867 to Julia A. Phelps. She was born March 28, 1845, in New
York. Their family consists of 1 child—Jessie, born May 17,1873;
they are members of the Congregational Church at Napoleon.
Wm. H. REXFORD was born at Hartford, Washington Co.,
N. Y., Jan. 3, 1821. He was the son of Roswell and Eunice
Rexford. When but six years old he, with his parents, removed to
Johnsburg, Warren Co., N. Y., where he remained until he was 17 years
of age, when he returned to his native town. His education was
obtained under the disadvantages incident to the times. He was
married to Harriet N. Lane, of Crown Point, N. Y., Dec. 5,1839.
She was born at Fisher's Field, N. H., Jan. 8, 1821, and was the
daughter of Robert and Betsey Lane. They settled at Johnsburg,
where they resided until 1844, when they came to Michigan,—a trip not
so quickly or easily accomplished then as now. And it was only
after a long and tiresome journey by canal, and an extremely rough
voyage on Lake Erie, that they landed at Detroit on a beautiful Sabbath
morning in July. From thence they came to Grass Lake by rail, and
from there to Napoleon with teams. Where may now be seen fertile
farms and comfortable houses, they found a forest and occasionally a
log house. But time and labor have made the "wilderness blossom
as the rose." His occupation is that of farmer and
mechanic. In politics he has ever taken a deep interest, being
originally a Whig. He was one of three who first voted the
Abolition ticket in his native town, and has had the satisfaction of
witnessing the fulfillment of the promises of the party platform.
Since the organization of the Republican party, he has ever identified
himself with its interests. He has discharged the duties of
various town offices satisfactorily, and has also filled important
Church offices. Both he and his wife have been members of the
Baptist Church since an early day. With all their toilsome
efforts to cultivate and beautify their home, they forgot not the
command to ''multiply and replenish the earth." Their family
consisted of 9 children, 7 of whom are now living, the eldest being
Jennie M., now Mrs. J. T. Schofield; Roswell B.; Nellie A., now Mrs. S.
T. Hooker; Alma L., now Mrs. A. McColl; Alta M., now Mrs. H. R.
Tibbetts; Arthur F., and Cora E.
W. H. RILEY, farmer, section 35, was born in Cayuga
County, N. Y., Jan. 5, 1819, son of Sylvester and Abigail Riley, nee
Brown. They were natives of Connecticut, and he was a
farmer. Settled in New York about 1816. In 1836 he moved to
Jackson County, Michigan, and located in Napoleon Township, where he
entered Government land, and farmed until his death in 1861, at the age
of 77. His mother died in 1859, in her 69th year. The
subject of this sketch received his education in New York State, and
located in this County at the age of 16; remained with his father until
he was of age. In 1842 he was married to Jane Mix. She was
born in Tompkins County, N. Y., Aug. 30, 1822, and was the daughter of
Daniel and Elsie Mix, nee Miller. They were natives of New
York, and moved to Jackson County in 1835 and located in Napoleon
Township. Her father died Jan. 15, 1878, and her mother, Jan. 16,
1879. The family of Mr. E. consisted of 8 children, of whom 7 are
now living—George F., Sylvester A., Mortimer E., Nettie, Ella, Rosa,
Willie, and Ida Jane (deceased.) He now owns 120 acres of land,
on which he lives, being the old homestead of his father's, and worth
$50 per acre. Politically, he is Republican.
Tomma H. RUSSELL, son of Tertilles and Anna Russell,
was born Nov. 2, 1823, in Dutchess County, N. Y.; in 1825 his parents
moved to Tompkins County, in 1831 to Cuyahoga County, in the State of
Ohio, and in 1835 to Napoleon, Jackson Co., Mich. He lived with
his parents on a farm of 80 acres, bought of the Government, until 21
years of age. The five years following he attended district
school in winter and worked by the month as a farm hand during the
summer, running a threshing machine through the fall months. At
the end of that time he rented a farm for three years. The death
of his father occurred Aug. 26, 1850; from that time worked the
homestead in addition to the farm rented. Tomma H. Russell was
united in marriage to Mary A. Robinson, Jan. 21, 1852. His wife
was a daughter of Rev. Robert Robinson, of Addison, Pa. His
mother died Sept. 24, 1852; after her death bought out the heirs of the
old homestead. There were 11 children, 4 girls and 7 boys.
His wife, Mary A. Russell, died Dec. 27, 1859, leaving 1
daughter. The death of 2 little girls, Alma and Laura, occurred
previous to this, during the year 1859. T. H. Russell was married
to Myra B. Hendy, daughter of Col. John Hendy, of Elmira, N. Y, on the
26th day of March, 1862. The result of this union was 5 children,
4 boys and 1 girl, only the eldest, Arthur A., and the youngest, Clara
A., remaining; the twins, Carl and Carlton, died in September, 1870,
and Lewis G. in February, 1872. T. H. Russell now owns a farm of
161 acres of land, worth $75 per acre; carried on farming, and for the
last three years has bought wheat at Napoleon with C. C. Smith.
J. T. SCHOFIELD was born Aug. 1, 1835, at Winsted,
Litchfield Co., Conn., and came to Michigan in 1837; was married to
Miss Jennie Rexford, Sept. 25, 1862, who was born Dec. 8, 1840, at
Warrensburg, N. Y., and came to Michigan in 1843. Willie E.,
their eldest son, was born at Napoleon, Mich., March 5, 1864, and Lena
A. was born Aug. 7, 1865, at the same place. J. T. purchased 90
acres of land on section 19, in the winter of 1862, which he owned
until May 28, 1870, when he bought the Napoleon Hotel, which he has
since occupied, excepting two years. In connection with this
hotel, he is also engaged in the sale of agricultural implements, etc.
A. R. SMITH, stock dealer, Napoleon, was born in St.
Lawrence County, N. Y., March 25, 1842, son of Benjamin and Rosanna
Smith, nee Crabbe. They are natives of New York, and resided
there until 1867, when they came to Jackson County, Mich., where they
located in the town of Napoleon. The subject of this sketch was
educated in the schools of New York, and came to Jackson County in
1865, where he engaged in farming for a number of years. He then
sold out his farming interest and engaged in the stock business.
He ships to Detroit, Chicago and Buffalo, has shipped during 1880, 40
cars of stock; handled during the year 1880, 3,000 sheep, 1,000 hogs,
besides a number of horses. He was married in 1863 to Louisa
Keene; she was born in Onondaga County, N. Y., in 1844. Their
family consists of 2 children— Cora L., born Jan. 10, 1866, and Willie
R, born Oct. 10, 1872. He now resides in the town of Napoleon,
and is a member of A. F. & A. M.
C. C. SMITH, farmer and grain dealer, section 32,
was born in Aurelius, Cayuga Co., N. Y., Nov. 25, 1815, son of David
and Tamaisa Smith, who was born in Connecticut and moved to New York in
an early day. His mother died when he was only 14 years old, and
his father four years later, leaving him almost alone in the
world. His education was obtained in the schools of New York.
In 1834 he learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed for many
years. In 1840 he was married to Harriet Van Winkle, who was born
in 1819. They came to Michigan in 1852, and located in Jackson
County, where he bought a farm of 195 acres. Their family
consisted of 9 children, 8 of whom are living—Eliza J.; Caroline, now
Mrs. W. Homes; Antoinette, now Mrs. Steven Allen; Emeline, now Mrs.
Richard Bronk; Susan, now Mrs. Arand Bonker; Grace, now Mrs. Vernon
Cromwell; Charlotte, now Mrs. Luman Dunton, and Lucy. He lost his
wife April 27, 1860, and married in 1861 Mrs. Eusebia Butler, who was
born in Adamsville, Washington Co., N. Y., in 1818. She had by
her former marriage 2 children—Geo. William and Charles
H.(deceased). Mr. S. has a farm under good cultivation and worth
$75 per acre. They have been identified with the Baptist Church
for many years. He is an ardent Republican.
Rev. Wm. H. SMITH was born in the town of Islip,
Suffolk Co., N. Y., on Long Island, 60 miles east of New York
city. He was the son of Israel and Julia Smith, nee
Terrill. He came to Michigan with his father May 10, 1835, and
located on the farm he now owns, consisting of 168 acres. He was
reared on a farm, and educated in the schools of this County. He
was married in 1843 to Lydia Tooker, who was born in the city of New
York, in 1825. By this marriage they had 1 child, and in 1844 he
lost his wife, and was again married in 1849, to Maria Meeks; who was
born in Western New York in 1827, and they had a family of 8 children,
4 of whom are still living, viz.: Gilbert H., Charles C, Frank C. and
Cora E. The 4 deceased are Jesse P., Elizabeth, Maria and
Lydia. In January, 1866, he lost his mother, in her 76th
year. His father died in his 94th year. In 1853 he took up
the ministry as local preacher for the M. E. Church, and for 30 years
he has continued to labor in the cause of Christ. He is now the
owner of the farm his father first bought when he came to the County,
and on it resides. He now owns 167 acres of land, which he has
under good cultivation, and well improved; is a member of the A. F.
& A. M. at Napoleon, and is identified with the Republican party.
Eli A. STEPHENSON, farmer, section 4, was born in
the town of Middlesex, Yates Co., N. Y., Feb. 25, 1832, and was the son
of John and Sarah Stephenson. His father was a native of England,
and came to America in 1827, and was married Aug. 23, 1829; his mother
was born in Kingston, Rhode Island, June 30, 1810 ; they continued to
farm in New York State until 1835. He came to Jackson County,
Mich., where he entered Government land and began farming, which he
continued up to his death, Oct. 25, 1879. His mother still
resides on the old homestead with her son. The subject of this
sketch received his education in the common schools of this County; and
remained on the farm with his father until he was 21 years of
age. He then learned the carpenter and joiner's trade with Harmon
Russell, with whom he worked for 15 years. He then bought a farm
of 20 acres, and has continued to add to it until he now has 310 acres,
which he has well improved with good buildings, and worth $60 per
acre. He was married in 1859 to Henrietta Covert, who was born in
1837, the daughter of Ralph and Margaret Covert, Nee Monday. They
have 5 children, viz.: Thomas Barron, Margaret, Elmer E., Ralph C. and
Leroy V. They are members of the M. E. Church at Napoleon, and
politically he is a Democrat.
John STEPHENSON (deceased) was born in England, near
Lancaster, Aug. 23, 1800, son of Thomas and Elizabeth Stephenson.
In 1827 they emigrated to America and located in New York Aug. 23,
1829. He was married to Sally Perriman, who was born in Kingston,
R. I., June 30, 1810. After their marriage they continued to farm
in New York until 1835, when they came to this County, where they
located on a farm which he entered of the Government in Napoleon
Township, on section 27, consisting of 120 acres. He continued to
farm until his death, Oct. 25, 1879, in his 80th year. Their
family consisted of 7 children, of whom 4 are now living, viz.: Eli A.,
Sally, now Mrs. C. H. Russell; John, and James C. The 3 deceased
are—Thomas, Louisa and Martha C. Mrs. Stephenson remains on the
homestead with her son, James O, in her 71st year. He was born
Nov. 8, 1839, and married Sarah R. Reynolds, who was born in Franklin
Township, Lenawee County Mich., Aug. 20, 1843; their family consists of
2 children— Cecelia A., born March 11, 1869, and Maud, born Feb. 21,
1881. He now owns 120 acres of land, which was the homestead of
his father, and worth $60 per acre. Mr. S. is a Republican.
Christopher WATERSTREET, farmer, section 30, was
born in Prussia, Nov. 27, 1825, son of Christopher M. and Anna M.
(Sweeden) Waterstreet, natives of Prussia, where his father died.
His mother, who emigrated to America in 1853, and located in New York
on a farm, died in October, 1864. The subject of this sketch
received his education in the common schools of Prussia, and worked on
a farm; came to America in 1853, and in 1856 he was married to
Elizabeth Knapp, who was born in Glenville, Schenectady Co., N. Y.,
Sept. 3, 1815. After their marriage they continued to farm in New
York. In 1866 they came to this County, and engaged again in
farming, buying 100 acres, on which they now reside. They are
members of the R. F. G. Church. Politically Mr. W. is a
Democrat. Mrs. W. has now in her possession a few old relics
which have been in the family over 150 years:—patter plate,
old-fashioned warming-pan (which is a curiosity to see), a pair of
candlesticks and snuffers that her mother had when she first kept house
in 1805, an old dictionary which bears the date of 1800, and a Bible
that has the date of 1813.
D. J. WINCHELL, livery-keeper, was born in this
township Dec. 18, 1839, a son of Aaron and Louisa Winchell, wee
Griffin. His father's occupation was that of a farmer. He
was a native of Vermont and came to this county in 1833, where he
followed farming until his death in 1863. His mother still lives
on the old homestead, and is nearly 70 years old. He was raised
on a farm and received his principal education in the common schools,
with the exception of one year, in which he attended the Leoni
college. In 1862 he was married to Almira H. Lewis, who was born
in New York in 1844. They have had 3 children—Reed G., Cora. C.
and Fay. He owns 160 acres of land in Napoleon Township, worth
$50 per acre, besides the property in the town of Napoleon, in which he
lives. He now is engaged in the livery, feed and sale business,
in which he aims to supply the demand of all in that line. Mrs.
W. is a member of the Baptist Church at Napoleon.