Norvell Township
History

Line Divider


Norvell A G Clubs Baseball Team 7/10/1908  Norvell Grain Mill 1910
Norvell A G Clubs Baseball Team 7/10/1908                                   Norvell Grain Mill 1910

Norvell Post Office 1910
Norvell Post Office 1910, mail carrier driving a Maxwell Roadster
The Norvell, MI Post Office was established on March 17, 1838 with Harvey Austin as its first postmaster.
Zip Code: 49263

Contributed by Paul Petosky


From "The History of Jackson County, Michigan 1881

  Harvey Austin was among the first settlers of this township.  He has lived on the same spot ever since he first came into the county, and yet, by the changes that have been made in the five township boundaries, he has lived in five townships.  When he first became a resident of the county, the whole territory was known as Jacksonburgh.  The county was then divided into three towns--Grass Lake, Jacksonburgh and Spring Arbor, and Mr. Austin became a resident of Grass Lake.  Again, in 1836-'7, a new division was made, the four towns, as they are now, being set off into one called Napoleon.  Still later, a new division was made, and Napoleon had distinct limits assigned to it in 1859, and the township of Brooklyn was formed, comprising the territory in the southeastern part of the county.  Thus it continued up to 1873, when a new deed was made, and a part of the territory of Brooklyn given to Columbia township, a part to Napoleon, and the rest, comprising 32 sections 4 by 8, was constituted into the township of Norvell.
    The Jackson branch of the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern railroad runs through the township.  The D., H. & I. R. R. intersects the south part of the town.  Watkin's Station on this railroad is located half-way between Manchester and Brooklyn.  Its present population is about 800.  The pleasant little village of Norvell has a hotel, churches, school-house, flouring-mill, railroad, and affords a good market for the surrounding country.

    The first settler in this part of Jackson County was William Hunt, who located and settled in this township in March, 1832.  In the following June his son-in-law, Mr. Bickford, came with his wife; a daughter was added to the family shortly after, and was the first child born in the township.  The name given to this child is worthy of mention, it being Dona Maria Cassender Rider Bickford.
The first supervisor of Napoleon Township proper was A. J. Palmer.  Norvell village is neat and prosperous.  It possesses a hotel, churches, schools, stores, a railroad depot, the extensive mills operated by William Reynolds, with all the other surroundings of civilization.

PERSONAL SKETCHES

Short biographies of prominent citizens most appropriately make up the rest of the history of this township.

    Thomas ASHLEY, farmer, sections 10 and 11; P. O., Norvell; was born in Otsego County, New York, Jan 13, 1808.  He was taken by his parents to Ontario County when he was three years of age and there grew up surrounded by the influences of pioneer life.  In 1833 he was married to Elizabeth Darling, and the same year they removed to Yates County, where they lived several years, then returned to Ontario County.  In 1855 he removed to Michigan, settling near Ypsilanti, where he lived several years on rented farms.  In the spring of 1861, he came to this place and bought a large farm on sections 10 and 11, where he has since lived.  His family consists of 4 children—Enoch Lewis, William, Charles and Rachel Tuttle.  Mrs. Ashley died in December, 1876, and is buried in the cemetery at Norvell.

    Aaron K. AUSTIN was born in Onondaga County, N. Y., Aug. 1, 1807; his parents were Aaron and Polly Austin of the same county.  His father died in this county while on a visit to his son in 1813, and is buried in the Norvell cemetery.  His mother died in her native county some years ago.  Of his father's family of 10 children, Aaron R. is the last; he grew to manhood under the paternal roof, receiving his education in his native village of Skaneateles, and a few weeks after he had attained his majority, he wended his way to Michigan, reaching Ann Arbor in September, 1828.  He remained here till Jan. 22, 1829, when he returned to his home in New York.  In the spring of 1832 he again came to Michigan, settling in the town of Jacksonburgh, Jackson County in July, the same year.  In March, 1833, he bought the farm he now owns on section 4.  It was in a wild state and Mr Austin at once began to improve it.  He has since added 160 acres to his first purchase and has now one of the finest farms in the town.  He was married March 12, 1834, to Miss Pauline O. Swain, daughter of Calvin H. Swain, formerly of Brooklyn; she was born in Washington County, N. Y; their 2 children are Mary L. and Elizabeth.  Mrs. Austin died Oct. 13, 1837, and the next year Mr. Austin was married to Fannie M. Nelson, born in Hartford, Washington Co., N. Y., and came to Jackson county in October, 1836; their children are—Annie E., Aaron M., Nannie D., Addison J., and Frank.  Mr. Austin has always been engaged in farming, and although he has resided on the same farm since coming to this county, he has been a resident of five different towns: Jackson-burgh, Grass Lake, Napoleon, Brooklyn and Norvell.

    Daniel B. AYERS is a son of Jacob D. and Mary A. Ayers.  The former was born in Essex County, N. J., Feb. 7, 1798, and the latter in the city of Newark, August, 1795.  The family had been living in New Jersey for a number of generations, and they trace their history back to three brothers that came to America from England many years before the Revolution.  One of them settled on Long Island, one in Massachusetts, and the third in New Jersey, of whom the subject of this sketch is one of the descendants.  At the present time the Ayers family are quite numerous in the United States.  His parents were married in Essex County, N. J., and continued to reside there until they came to Michigan, in 1836.  In the winter of that year Mr. A. made a visit to Michigan and located several hundred acres of land where his farm now is, in the south part of this township, and in the following summer came with his family, making a permanent home.  They spent the first summer in a little shanty on the road a mile or two north of their present farm, and in the fall moved into a log hut where the house now stands.  They had a family of 4 children—Mary J., who married James Allen, of Ann Arbor, and died some years ago; Frances, who married her elder sister's husband, Mr. Allen; Abbie D., now in Arkansas engaged in teaching; and Daniel B., who still lives on the old farm and is unmarried.  Mr. Ayers died on his farm May 5, 1871; his widow is still living on the place.  They were truly among the pioneers of this county, coming here when it was a wild and desolate country, inhabited only by the wild men and animals of the forest.  They had but little money left when they came, but by diligence and frugality amassed considerable wealth.  Daniel B. now has the old farm, which consists of 400 or 500 acres of good farming land.

    Elijah AYLESWORTH was born in Otsego County, N. Y., Dec. 31, 1824.  His father, Henry Aylesworth, was a native of Massachusetts and came to Otsego County when a young man.  Elijah was taken by his parents, while an infant, to Columbia County, where his time was spent until he reached the age of eight years, when the family removed to Ontario County, Jan. 4, 1847.  He married Sarah Yeager, who lived but a short time, dying in 1848.  About this time they went to Orleans County, and in 1850 removed to Lake County, Ill.  In 1851 he was married to Fanny Davis, of Lake County, and they have 1 child.  In 1865 he removed to the farm on which he now lives in Norvell Township; he has a good, well-improved farm and a pleasant home.  They are both worthy members of the Free-Will Baptist Church.

    W. F. BABCOCK was born in Seneca County, N. Y., November, 1832, son of Solomon and Emeline Babcock, the former a native of Herkimer County, N. Y., and the latter of Addison County, same State, where they were raised and resided until Mr. B. was 17 years of age.  They were married in Seneca County, in January, 1829; came to Michigan in September, 1836; located in Bridgewater, Township, Washtenaw County, where they lived till the spring of 1866.  There were 5 children, of whom 2 are living—Lucy and William R. Mr. Babcock died October, 1864, near Clinton, and Mrs. Babcock is now residing with her son William, who was raised in Washtenaw County, where he was married to Calperna, daughter of Russel and Phebe Randall, in August, 1855, who was born in that county in 1835.  They have had 3 children, all of whom died in infancy.  In July, 1856, Mr. Babcock went to Shiawassee CFounty, where he resided three years, then came to his present residence in Norvell.

    Charles A. BROWN was born in Monroe County, N. Y., in May, 1834.  His parents, Asa B. and Oretta L. (Griffin) Brown, were natives of New York.  They had but 2 children—George  W., now of Ann Arbor, and Charles A.  When the latter was about four years of age the family came to Genesee County, and in September, 1846, came to Michigan, settling on the farm where he now lives, in this township Charles' grandfather, Jonathan Brown, had entered the land, but died on the farm with the cholera in 1834.  His father moved his family on the farm in 1846, and died here May 22, 1873, in his 73d year; his mother is still living, a hale and hearty old lady, in her 76th year; she has been a member of the Baptist Church many years.  Mr. Brown was married in March, 1862, to Mary E. Annas, daughter of Mason Annas, of Genesee County; she was born in Madison County, N. Y., Nov. 8, 1840.  Her family came to Michigan, settling in Flint, in 1840.  Mr. and Mrs. B. have 7 children: Arthur, Floyd, Edna, Meade, Ethel May, Eldon and Ralph.  Mr. B. has been Supervisor of his town for several years.  His occupation is farming; has been engaged on the farm on which he now lives since a boy of 12 years.  Both he and his wife are worthy members of the Baptist Church in this place. P. O., Norvell.

    Wilson CHAFFEE, son of Benjamin and Rebecca Chaffee, was born in the town of Marcellus, Onondaga Co., N. Y., Feb. 12, 1802.  He lived here until 1828, when he removed to Oswego County, and in May, 1837, came with his family to this county, settling in the town of Norvell.  He was married in his native town to Eliza Converse, of the same county, who was born March 18, 1806; they had 4 children, of whom 3 are living—Mary J., Elsa M. and Ellen.  Elsa married Thomas Rhead and lives inNorvell; Ellen married Mr. Harris, and lives in Tompkins Township, Jackson County; Mary J. married John J. Blanchard, who was born in Oneida County, N. Y., Jan. 27, 1811, where he grew to maturity and married, in Genesee, Sarah A. Young; they had 4 children, viz.: Susan C, now Mrs. M. Hunt; Jennie, now Mrs. T. B. Holladay; John H., who was killed in the Union army, June 25, 1864, being shot while putting up the breast works at Petersburg, Va.; and Sarah, now Mrs. R. Bellen.  His wife dying, Mr. B. married Miss May J. Chaffee, March 24, 1846; they had 1 child, Eda, who married Don Palmer, and now lives in Norvell.  Mr. Blanchard died April 27, 1869, and Mrs. B. lives in Norvell with her parents.  The family are members of the Universalist Church.

    Joseph COBB, son of Septimus and Caroline (Brooks) Cobb, was born in Ontario County, N. Y., in March, 1831.  The family came to Michigan in 1832, settling in Lenawee County, near Clinton.  Mr. Cobb lived here until the spring of 1850, when he removed to Wisconsin, and in the spring of 1852, he came to this county, settling near the village of Norvell.  He was married here in September, 1854, to Miss Martha H. Quigley, daughter of Isaac and Hannah Quigley, formerly of Brooklyn, who were among the first settlers in Jackson County.  Mr. and Mrs. Cobb have 3 children—Effie, who married Frank Austin, and died Jan. 12, 1881; Willie S., now attending the law school at Ann Arbor; and Joseph H.  Mr. Cobb has a good farm of several hundred acres; is engaged in farming quite extensively.

    Edmund DORR was born on the banks of the Connecticut in Southern New Hampshire, June 20, 1815.  At the age of nine years he was taken by his parents to Orleans County, Vt., where he lived till he attained the age of 21, when he came to Michigan in November, 1835, stopping in the town of Manchester in Washtenaw County.  His father and the rest of the family had preceded him a year, they coming in 1934.  In March, 1843, he married Miranda Dorr, widow of his brother Ebenezer, whose parents, Levi B. and Sally (Wall) Pratt, came to Michigan when she was quite a small girl, and settled on the Lodi Plains of Washtenaw County.  Miranda was born in Niagara County, N. Y., April 1, 1813.  She says she can remember living in Michigan when there were no neighbors nearer than 10 miles.  By her first marriage she had 2 children—Jane and Laura; the children of her last marriage are Clara and Alice.  Mr. and Mrs. Dorr came to their present farm in 1844; have a good farm of 180 acres; P. O., Norvell.

    Edward FAY was born in Onondaga County, N. Y., Jan. 28, 1815.  His father, James Fay, was a native of Massachusetts.  His family moved to Livingston County of the same State while he was quite young, where he lived until the spring of 1836, when he and his brother Spafford took three yoke of oxen and started for Michigan.  The road was long, and at that time of the year, almost impassable; swamps and rivers had to be waded and forded, often when they were swollen by the heavy rains of the spring.  They arrived in this county about the 1st of April, 1836, after being four weeks on their journey.  They worked during the summer, and in the fall sowed 20 acres of wheat on the farm on which Mr. Fay now lives, and then returned to New York.  The following spring he returned, accompanied by his sister Mary, now Mrs. Octavius Skie, of Greenville, who kept house for him some time.
    He was married Oct. 27, 1847, to Adelpha Balch, of this town, daughter of John Balch, formerly of this county, but now of Onondaga County, N. Y.; she was born in that county in 1819, and came to Michigan in 1846.  Their family consists of 2 children—George and Charley; both are well educated, George having attended college at Ann Arbor, and also the Cornell University in New York, and was admitted to the Bar in 1874 at Jackson; Charley E. received his diploma from the Detroit Medical College in 1877, and is now practicing medicine.  Mr. Fay has always been engaged in farming.  When he first came to the county he took up 160 acres of wild land, which he has since improved and added to until he now has a fine farm of  several hundred acres.  In their religious views they hold to the Universalist faith, but in this, as in other things, he entertains a broad and liberal opinion.

    James FAY was born in Livingston County, N. Y., May 21, 1828.  His father, James Fay, died while he was young, and in 1837 he accompanied his mother to Michigan, settling in Jackson County, where he has since lived.  New Year's Day, 1857, he married Miss Caroline Webster, daughter of Benjamin F. and Lucy Webster, of this town, who was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y., in May, 1832, and at the age of five years accompanied her parents to Jackson County, where she has continued to live in the same neighborhood where her parents settled when she was a small girl.  Their family consists of 2 children—Mira and Frank.  Mr. Fay has a fine farm and a pleasant home.

    Erastus FURGARSON was born in Cambridge, Lenawee Co. Mich., May 11, 1840.  His parents, Willard and Lydia Furgarson, were natives of Vermont; they came to New York when young, and after stopping in that State for some years, came to Michigan, settling in Lenawee County in 1834.  Mr. F. lived here until 12 years of age, when the family removed to Grand River, in Ottawa County ; remained there some years, then returned to the old place where he lived till the fall of 1862; enlisted in the 3d Mich. Cav., where he served until the close of the war, and then returned to his home in Lenawee County.  In March, 1864, while home on a furlough, he married Frances Schuart, born in Clinton in 1844, and died in January, 1874, leaving 3 children—Freddie, Charley and Phebe.  In January, 1876, Mr. Furgarson married Estella Hopper, widow of Milo H. Hopper, who had 1 child by her former marriage --Henry L.; she was born in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, in April, 1844; her parents, Harry and Augusta Ladd, were formerly of Brooklyn, Mich., and when she was an infant they returned to that place, where her mother died soon after.  Mr. Furgarson came to his farm in Norvell, in the spring of 1867; has a good farm of 140 acres; is a mason and farmer.  P. O., Brooklyn.

    James GRAHAM was born in Schoharie County, N. Y., Oct. 1, 1803.  When three years old he was taken by his parents to Chenango County, where he lived till he had reached the age of 21 years, following the vocation common to most farmers' boys.  The year after he had obtained his majority he sailed on Lake Ontario, after which he went to the village of Waterville, N. Y., where the next six years of his life were passed, working on a farm.  In the fall of 1831 he came to Michigan; stopped a few days in Ann Arbor, thence to Sandusky, O., via Detroit, and to the town of Greenville in Huron County, where he was engaged in chopping till May, 1832, when he came to this county, staying the first night with William Hunt; the next day reached the village of Napoleon; stayed over Sunday with D. Goodrich, whose house was the only one in the village at that time.  Monday morning he started on foot for Marshall, but taking the wrong trail he reached Co-Cush Prairie, 25 miles south of Marshall, on Tuesday morning about nine o'clock.  During this trip he walked 40 miles, dined upon two crackers, and at night rested his body beneath the clear sky upon the bare ground.  He reached Marshall Wednesday afternoon, where he stopped a few weeks with George and Sidney Cathem; followed the Indian trail back to Jackson, and where the town of Norvell stands he picked out the 80-acre lot on which he now lives; then taking the trail for Detroit he entered his land and returned to his old home at Waterville.  Here, in August, 1832, he was married to Miss Vanlara Tyler, of the same village, where they lived a few years, and in June, 1835, Mr. G., accompanied by his wife and sister Mary (now Mrs. E. Tracy), again returned to Michigan, settling on the land which he had taken in 1832.  During the summer he planted some crops and erected a log house which served him for many years.  He has improved his farm until he has as fine a farm as any in the county.  In 1838 Mrs. Graham died, leaving 1 son—William H.  In April, 1840, Mr. Graham married Paulina Allen, who was born in Columbia County, N. Y., April 3, 1811; at the age of 13 she went to Otsego County, and after a few years to Oswego County.  In 1835 she came to Medina County, Ohio, where she lived till 1840, then came to Michigan.  Of their 7 children 5 are living—Clarona, Camelia, Josephine, Emma and Adell.  Crowell J. and Mahalen D. died while young.  Both Mr. and Mrs. Graham have long been worthy members of the Church, the former of the M. E. Church, and the latter of the Baptist.

    T. B. HALLADAY was born in Ontario County, N. T., October, 1834.  His parents were James and Parmelia (Biglow) Halladay, natives of the same county.  In the fall of 1858 he came to this county, and until the spring of 1860 remained in the town of Norvell, most of his time being spent in teaching school.  He then returned to his home in the State of New York, and in the spring of 1861 returned and bought the farm on which he now resides.  In October, 1861, he married Miss Jennie Blanchard, who was born in this county, July 7, 1841; they have but 1 child, Cora.  Mr. Halladay has held numerous town offices during his residence here, and is known and respected by all.  Although a poor young man when he first come to this county, by industry and frugality he has made for himself and family a good home; he has a fine farm of several hundred acres, with good buildings. P. O., Norvell.

    James HAY, Jr., was born in Onondaga County, N. Y., September 1827.  His parents, James and Mabel (Satterlee) Hay, came from New York and settled in the town of Pittsfield, near the village of Saline, in 1834, where they lived till the spring of 1841, then removed to the eastern part of Norvell Township where they have since continued to live.  June 18, 1855, Mr. Hay was married to Miss Caroline Pease, daughter of Warren and Fannie Pease, of Manchester; she died in November, 1865, and is buried in the Manchester cemetery.  Oct. 3, 1866, Mr. Hay married Julia V. Pease, a sister of his former wife, who was born in Tecumseh, Mich., her parents having moved there from Ludlow, Mass., at an early day; they have had 2 children—James W, who died in  April, 1874, and Eda, born Aug. 14, 1874.  Mr. Hay came to his farm on section 9, this township, in the spring of 1861, and has since improved it until he now owns a fine farm of 120 acres.  Both he and his wife are worthy members of the Baptist Church at Norvell.

    Stephen W. HOLMES was born in the city of New York, May 24, 1837.  When an infant he was brought by his parents to this county, where he has since lived.  His parents are Henry and Lydia Holmes, the former a native of England.  Mr. Holmes was married Dec. 5, 1861, to Miss. Caroline A. Smith, of Napoleon, who was born in Cayuga County, N. Y., in March, 1840, and accompanied her parents, Chauncy C, and Harriet (Van Winkle) Smith, to this county, when about 10 years of age; they have had 2 children—Hatty B. and Maud (deceased).  Mr. Holmes  is   enaged in farming; both have been worthy members of the Baptist Church for several years.

    Alvinzie HUNT was born in Marcellus, Onondaga Co., N. Y., Nov. 14, 1809.  His parents, John and Parley Hunt, were among the pioneers of that county, where Mr. Hunt passed his boyhood days on his father's farm.  He was married in January, 1830, to Nancy Converse, who died in June, 1831, leaving 1 child, now Mrs. Jason P. Merrillon, of Jackson County.  Oct. 20, 1831, Mr. Hunt married Miss Phebe Converse, sister to his former wife; they had 2 children—Byron O, Mortimer B.; the former died at the age of 19 years.  In the spring of 1836, Mr. Hunt removed his family to this county, and in May of that year he took up 292 acres of land on section 10, and has since added to and improved it until he now owns as fine a farm as the town can boast of, consisting of 324 acres.  Feb. 9, 1877, death again entered his family and took from him the wife who had been the stay of his life, sharing with him the privations of a pioneer life, as well as the pleasures that they had labored for in their younger days.  Mr. Hunt has at times held all the various offices of his township; has been Supervisor six years, and has held the office of Justice of the Peace for the past 12 years.

    Duncan HYNDMAN, M. D., was born in Argylshire, Scotland, March 8, 1845.  His parents, Peter and Margaret (McKillop) Hyndman, left their native country in 1857, settling in Elgin County, Canada.  Their voyage across the waters was long, the vessel on which they sailed being wrecked; but after a time they were safely landed in the country which was to be their home.  After living in Elgin County for a number of years they came to Michigan, settling in the village of Brooklyn, where they still live.  Of the family of 4 boys, 3 are graduates of medical colleges.  Duncan, the subject of this sketch, grew to the years of manhood under the paternal roof in Canada; several years were spent in teaching school, and then, coming over to the Buckeye State, he spent several years in the Western Reserve College at Hudson.  In 1868 he married Miss Alice E. Mason, daughter of Samuel and Alice Mason, who came from England and also  settled in Elgin County, Canada.  In the spring of 1869 Mr. Hyndman finished his college course, and the same year came to Norvell and began the practice of medicine; in this he has been quite successful, and is now one of the leading physicians of Jackson County.  A portrait of Mr. Hyndman will be found on page 471.

    George LADD, son of John and Lucy Ladd, of Windham County, Conn., was born in that county Feb. 23,1814.  His parents moved to Oswego County, N, Y., when he was a small child.  When he was seven years of age they removed to Oneida County, where he grew to manhood, and Oct. 2, 1845, he married Julia J. Burleigh, daughter of Luke and Lucretia Burleigh, who was born in Oneida County in 1820.  Their family consists of 2 children— George and Harry; the latter married Clara Fielding.  Mr. Ladd came to Michigan in the spring of 1846, settling on the farm where he now lives, in this township prior to this time Mr. Ladd had visited various parts of Michigan, and had taken up land in different sections of the county; he now owns several hundred acres of fine farming land.    P. O., Brooklyn.

    S. B. PALMER was born in Madison County, N. Y., Nov. 19, 1817.  His parents, Stephen and Huldah Palmer, were natives of Connecticut; the former was born in New London, Nov. 22, 1793, and the latter in Windham, Dec. 28, 1797.  They moved to Madison County, N. Y., about the spring of 1812, were they were married Aug. 8, 1813; of their 12 children, 9 are yet living—Charles H., Lueretia, Sylvanus B., William O, Noyes G., Mariette, Jackson A., George M. and John J.  The family left Madison County in the spring of 1836; came to this county, settling on the farm near the village of Norvell, where a portion of the family still reside.  He entered a piece of land here, opened a hotel some years afterward, and for many years before the village of Norvell was started he was Postmaster.  He was truly one of the pioneers of his county.  Although coming here poor, he succeeded in amassing together enough of this world's goods to enable him to live comfortably in his old age.  During his life he had held many township offices to the satisfaction of all.  He was a soldier in the war of 1812, having been called out when the British invaded Sackett's Harbor.  He died May 24, 1879.
    Mrs. P. is still living on the old homestead, at an advanced age; her memory is still bright, and she loves to recall many of the incidents of her early life in Michigan.  The family are scattered over different parts of the country: William S. is a Baptist minister at Manchester; Noyes and G. W. are in the city of New York; Jackson is in Flint; and Charles H., at Pontiac.  Mrs. Palmer has 9 children, 24 grandchildren and 18 great-grandchildren living.
    Sylvanus B., the subject of this sketch, now occupies the old farm, to which he came with his father when 18 years of age, and lived till there till November, 1839, when he married Sarah Fish, daughter of Josiah and Cynthia (Barrows) Fish, born in Onondaga County, N. Y., Oct. 13, 1819.    She came with her parents to this county in June, 1836; of their 7 children, 6 are living—Harmon S., Marion E., Schofield, Laura J., Albert and Alice (twins), and Minnie E.  Mr. Palmer is engaged in farming; when a young man he taught school winters for a number of years.  The family are members of the Baptist Church at Norvell.

    John W. PARDEE was born in Onondaga County, N. Y., Sept. 10, 1813.  His parents, Sheldon and Sally Pardee, were natives of Connecticut.  He spent his boyhood in his native county until he had reached the age of 18; went to Medina County, O., and about five years later removed to Portage County, of the same State, where he lived until 1840, then he came to Michigan, settling in Jackson County.  Previous to this time Mr. P. had been engaged in the mercantile business, and had at different times traveled over different parts of Michigan on business.  He was married in Lenawee County, Mich., in the fall of 1839, to Miss Caroline Tyler, daughter of Lemuel Tyler, formerly of Jackson.  She was born in Madison County, N. Y., in 1821, and came with her parents to Michigan in 1836.  Mr. and Mrs. P. have 5 children—Sheldon J., Frances, Ellen, Charles and George.  Ellen, now Mrs. Seth Smith, lives in Fulton County, Ohio.  Mr. Pardee settled on a wild piece of land in the woods; has improved it until he now has a fine large farm.  P. O., Norvell.

    Thomas RHEAD, son of Thomas and Mary Rhead, was born in Staffordshire, England, June 26, 1819.  When he was a boy he was put out to learn engraving and modelling in earthen-ware.  After learning his trade he went to the city of Manchester, where he followed his occupation about nine months, but on account of the depression of trade about this time, many of the manufacturing establishments were closed, and he was thrown out of work.  He had a friend in Marseilles, France, whom he had known while he was serving his apprenticeship; they had been corresponding, and now he offered him a place in that city; he went thither, and soon excelled his companion in lettering, and his wages were raised in consequence; he worked hard, early and late, hoping to be repaid for the expense and time that he had spent in learning his trade; but close application to work caused his health to fail, and his physician advised him to give up his trade if he wished to live.  He left France and returned to his sisters in England, his father having died while he was yet young.  He staid there but a short time, as the excitement of emigrating to America was then very great.  In company with three companions he left England, May 16, 1842, and in the September following came to the Plains in Norvell Township, and for several years was engaged in working by the month on the farms.  He worked  for several years for Mr. A. Hunt.
    July 3, 1845, he married Elsie M. Chaffee, daughter of Wilson Chaffee, who was born March 11, 1827, in the State of New York.  After their marriage they lived in Norvell Township until in 1849, when they moved near the village of Ionia.  He bought a farm here of 160 acres, on which he lived about nine years, then sold out.  In 1862 he enlisted in the 21st Mich., Inf., and was Second Sergeant in Co. A.  On account of ill health he was discharged at Nashville, Term., in January, 1863; then returned to this county and purchased the farm on which J. D. Scott now lives; resided here until the spring of 1872, when he removed to the village of Norvell, where he has since made his home.  Mr. and Mrs. R. have 2 children—George B. and Charle B.  He has been a member of the Baptist Church for a number of years; has been a Deacon at Norvell since the organization of the Church at that place.

    Thomas RUSHTON, son of John and Hannah Rushton, was born in Lincolnshire, England, Jan. 29, 1825.  He left his native country in April, 1850, coming to Manchester, Mich., where he learned the brewer's trade, and followed it for some years.  In December, 1863, he enlisted in 30th Mich. Inf., Co. D; served till June the following year, when he was discharged, and returned to Manchester, where he lived for a couple of years; went to Chautauqua County, N. Y., where he married Mrs. Sarah Borger, of that place, whose husband had been killed in the late war; she had 1 son—Seth Borger.  Mr. and Mrs. R. lived here a few years, then went to Virginia where they staid but a short time, and returned to Manchester; the spring of 1870 came to the farm he now occupies in Norvell Township, and has since lived on it.  Mrs. R. died in May, 1876.  Mr. R. has a good farm and pleasant home. P. O., Norvell.

    Dealon SCHUTT, farmer, section 26; P. O., Brooklyn; was born in Ontario County, N. Y., Oct. 1, 1817.  His parents, John and Jane Schutt, were natives of Dutchess County, N. Y.; his mother died when he was a small child, and his father, after a few years, married again and continued to live on the old farm in Ontario County, whither he had come when a young man, until the time of his death some years ago.  His widow still occupies the old homestead.
    Here Mr. S. spent the days of his boyhood as most New York farmer's boys do.  April 5, 1840, he was married to Miss Cynthia Aylesworth, daughter of Henry Aylesworth, of the same county; she was born in Otsego County, N. Y., in 1819; their 2 children, Sylva, now Mrs. Ethan Hay, and Florence, now Mrs. S. B.Ashley, are living in Norvell town.
    In June, 1844, Mr. Schutt left his native home to seek one in the "far West."  He came first to Steuben County, Ind., where he remained till the fall of that year, then came to Hillsdale, where he spent the winter, in the spring of 1845 came to his farm in Norvell Township.

    Jacob D. SCOTT was born in Ossian, Allegany Co., N. Y., in 1838; son of John and Eleanor Scott, of that place; the former was born on the Cheviot Hills, in the south of Scotland, and came to New York while he was yet a young man.  Mr. Scott continued to live in his native place until in April, 1861, when he came to Branch County, Mich., where he staid until December of the same year, then came to this county.  On Christmas day, 1861, he married Susan E. Blanchard, daughter of David and Mary A.Blanchard, of Dexter, who was born in Springwater, Steuben Co., N. Y.,in 1844; they have 1 child—Emma Jennett.  Mr. S. came to his farm in March, 1873, where he has since lived; has a good farm of 120 acres; is a member of Grange at Norvell, No. 227; is a farmer and carpenter. P. O., Norvell.

    Alonzo G. SHEKELL was born in Ontario County, N. Y., in November, 1825.  At the age of four years he was taken by his parents, John and Joanna Shekell, to Seneca County, where he grew to the age of manhood, surrounded by the influences of a good home and spending his boyhood as is common for most farmers' boys to do.  Here, in April, 1849, he married Lydia Corden, daughter of Dennis and Elizabeth Corden, who was born in the same county, August, 1825; this family consists of 5 children—Anna E., Lucretia, Florence, Amie and John.  Anna E. has been engaged in teaching for several years, in the schools of Manchester; Lucretia married Adelbert Culver.  In May, 1851, they left Seneca County, coming to Michigan and settling in the town of Saline, Washtenaw Co., where they lived until they came to their present farm in Norvell, in the spring of 1878.  When he left New York, his father accompanied him, and lived with him until he died in 1871,at the advanced age of 81 years.  Mr. S. has a good farm of 160 acres, on section 16.  P. O., Norvell.

    E. R. SHUART was born in Ulster County, N. Y., Mar. 6, 1806.  When he was about six or seven years of age he was taken by his parents to Ithaca, Tompkins Co., where he was reared, receiving his education in the schools of that town.  Nov. 19, 1829, he was married to Phebe Scisson, born in Cayuga County, N. Y., Nov. 20, 1812.  When she was a small girl her parents went to Indiana, where in a few years her father died, and in a short time after this her mother came to Ithaca, N. Y., where she grew to womanhood.  Mr. Shuart first visited Michigan in the summer of 1832, but staid only a short time, and returned to his home in New York.  In the spring of 1836 he removed his family to Syracuse, N. Y., and in the fall of the same year came to Michigan, settling at Clinton, Lenawee Co.  In September, 1836, he took up the 80 acre lot on which he now lives, and the same fall had some improvements made on it and sowed a piece of wheat.  He lived in Clinton, working at the carpenter and cabinet trades until about 1850, when he moved his family to the farm which he had located in this town, where they have since resided.  He has improved his land and since added to it, until he now owns a fine farm of over 200 acres of well-improved land.  Of their family of 12 children, 9 are yet living—Mary, Henry, Oliver, Edward, George, William, James, Addie and Alice.  Chauncy was in the U. S. Army, going from Adrian with the band and accompanying the 3d Cav.; returned at the close of the war, but his health was gone and he lived but a short time after his return.  Mr. Shuart has been one of the pioneers of Michigan, and is a man respected by all.

    George W. SWEEZEY was born near the village of Norvell, in May, 1845.  His father, Samuel Sweezey, had come to Michigan, taking up the old farm near Norvell from the Government in the summer of 1834, and soon after moving his family on the place.  He was born on Long Island in 1805; at an early age went on the ocean, and for a number of years before coming to Michigan had been a ship Captain.  He was married in the city of New York to Maroni Horr, who was born on the banks of the Onion river, in Vermont.  Of their family of 9 children, 7 are yet living-Mary J. Chapman, John T., William H., Julia A. Bunker, George W., Judson S. and Lurena A.  When he came to Michigan he entered several hundred acres of land in the town of Norvell, which he improved and continued to live on until his death in October, 1865.  He had been a member of the Baptist Church for 40 years, and for a number of years before his death had been a Deacon in that Church.  George W., the subject of this sketch, was raised on the farm he now occupies, and in December, 1864, enlisted in the 15th O. V., Co. G., for 100 days; again enlisted in 11th Mich., Co. E, where he served until the close of the war.  Coming home, he went to Eaton Rapids, where he engaged in the hardware business for the next two years; in 1868, sold his interest and purchased the farm on which he now lives.  He was married in December, 1868, to Mary Watkins, daughter of Freeman Watkins, of this town.  He was married a second time, June 19, 1877, to Emma Masten, daughter of S. J. D. J. Masten, of Grass Lake; she was born in the town of Grass Lake, Dec. 28, 1848; her family came here from New York in 1836.  They are members of the Baptist Church at Norvell.

    William SWEEZEY is among the pioneers of Michigan, and was born on Long Island, May 7, 1803.  His parents, Jeremiah and Dortha (Baylyss) Sweezey, were natives of that place.  He grew to manhood, and for a number of years was engaged in sailing on the waters of Long Island Sound.  In 1827 he was married to Hattie Weeks, born in Westchester County, N. Y., in 1810.  They lived on Long Island till the spring of 1835, when they sought their fortunes in what was then the wilds of Michigan.  They arrived in Jackson County in May of that year, took up a piece of land in Napoleon Township.  Mr. S. improved the farm and it was his home 33 years, when he sold it and removed to the village of Norvell, where he still lives, a hale, hearty old man, enjoying the pleasures and fruits that a life well spent will always bring.  They had a family of 8 children— James A., John M. and William, were born on Long Island; Lydia, (deceased), Dora A., Stephen (deceased), Baylyss and Debby (deceased), were born in Michigan.  James is a lawyer; John and William are doctors; Baylyss was a dentist, and died in the late civil war at Nashville, June 18, 1865; Dora graduated at a medical college in Philadelphia, and practiced medicine for a few years; she married Mr. McGregory and lives in Southern Indiana.  May 17, 1859, Mr. Sweezey lost the wife of his youth, and in November of that year was married to Eliza Griffeth, widow of Luther Griffelh, formerly of Brooklyn, this county, who was born in Woodbury, Conn., in 1810, and came to Michigan in 1845.  They are both worthy members of the M. E. Church in Napoleon.  In his business Mr. Sweezey has been successful to a reasonable extent, and is now enjoying the competence he earned in former years.  He has traveled quite extensively over different parts of the United States, and is among the host of influential and intelligent men that reside in Jackson County. 

    L. D. WATKINS, banker, Manchester, Mich.



Line Divider

Back Home
Backgrounds By Marie

Copyright Genealogy Trails All Rights Reserved with Full Rights Reserved for Original Contributor