The town was organized
at the house of Henry G. Whipple, on the first Monday in May,
1836. John Barnum was at the time elected supervisor. The
township then included Sandstone, Parma, Springport, and
Tompkins. In April, 1837, at the second town meeting, Caleb M.
Chapel was chosen supervisor. The special meeting for the
organization of the present township was held at the house of Frederick
Beck, on Wednesday, April 17, 1839, at which time Captain Chester Wall
was elected the supervisor. Sandstone village at one time bid
fair to rival Jackson, and in 1837 it had two hotels, a bank, and quite
a number of stores, but those "wild-cat" days of speculation soon
passed away, and the village of Jackson rapidly increasing in
population left Sandstone out in the cold, and the disappointed
speculator soon gathered up his effects and left for more remunerative
fields. Some time in May, 1830, Samuel Roberts and family came
into the county of Jackson, and settled on the Territorial road, six
miles west of Jacksonburgh, near Sandstone creek, and was the first
settler in the township.
THE PIONEERS OF SANDSTONE include, first—Chester
Wall, Jonathan Wood, M. Freeman, Samuel Roberts, and James Valentine;
second—Samuel Upton, Leroy Richardson, D. D. Trumbull, Caleb M. Chapel
and D. Avery.
There are two churches in the town, a Methodist and
a Congregational, the former being in the village of Parma and the
latter at Berry, or, as it was now called, Sandstone, though many of
the older settlers give it the old name, "Berry." The postoffice
is located here, and was presided over by Mr. John Haddock upward of 30
years, and at his death his widow was appointed in his place.
There are eight school districts; the Parma village school
building stands within the limits of this town.
In 1834 the Congregational Church of Sandstone was
organized by Rev. Jason Park; the first communion service was held in
the log school-house June 14, 1835. In 1836 Drusus Hodges was
elected deacon. F. B. Ward was chosen deacon in 1843. Rev.
Mr. Park died in May, 1849, when his successor, Rev. Hiram Elmer, took
charge. The Rev. J. W. Smith, of Eaton Rapids,
reached in 1858; the Rev. L. Chandler, of Parma, in 1860; Mr. Laird in
1868-'9. March 4, 1869, the Church was reorganized, and the name
changed from Barry Congregational Church to the Union Congregational
Church of Sandstone. Rev. J. B. Parmalee was the
pastor from March, 1869, to June, 1870, when he was succeeded by the
Key. L. M. Hunt. The Congregational church building was erected
in 1870, at a cost of $2,500.
Sandstone creek runs through the town, flowing in a
northwesterly direction, and emptying into the Grand river, in Tompkins
Township. There are a number of marshes still existing; the soil
is a rich, sandy loam. There are quite extensive sandstone
quarries in the southeastern part, and it was from these that the town
received its present name. There is also an extensive coal mine
which was operated some four years, and the proprietors realized
handsome profits. For some reason, however, it was not regularly
worked. Limestone is also found to a considerable extent in the
the best-known citizens of Sandstone township are noticed more at
length in the following pages:
Charles BAILEY was born in the borough of Abingdon,
England, July 27, 1821. His parents came to America in 1832, and
located in Seneca County, N. Y. In the spring of 1843 Mr. Bailey
came West and bought land in sections 23 and 24 in this township.
He married Elizabeth Welch, of England; their family is as
follows—Chas. J., merchant in Boston; Horace G., Fannie E., Annie M.,
Herbert A., Frank A., Eugene, Irvin R., Jos. W. and Ernest
Walter. In 1852 Mr. Bailey went to California, returning in 1854;
since that time has been farming; owns 200 acres of land in sections 23
and 24, where he now resides. He devotes very little attention to
politics, but votes with the Republican party. P. O.,
Charles A. BLAIR was born in Steuben County, New York, June 20,
1848. His father, Jacob L. Blair, was a native of New York.
Nov. 1, 1870, he was married to Alice Rhines, and they have 2 children
— Willie and Charles. Mr. Blair owns 160 acres of land on section
10, where he has resided since 1862; he has been a farmer all his
life. Politically, he is a
Democrat. P. O., Jackson.
Dr. Smith H. BRISTOL, of Parma village, was born in Chenango County, N.
Y., June 14, 1827. His father, John Bristol, was a native of the
same county, a farmer by occupation and of English descent. He
married Abigail Smith, a daughter of Reuben Smith, a farmer of Chenango
County, and their family consisted of 11 children, all of whom are
living in the West except 1. Dr. Bristol received his schooling
at Canandaigua Academy, and afterward studied medicine with Dr. Harvey
Jarrett, of Allen's Hill, Ontario County, N. Y.; he attended lectures
at Buffalo Medical College; came to Michigan in 1851; practiced
medicine at Cresco two years; came to Parma in 1853, where he has since
been located. In 1862 he received the appointment of Assistant
Surgeon of the 13th Mich. Vol. Inf. In 1872 he attended a course of
lectures at Bellevue Hospital, New York city, and also the College of
Physicians and Surgeons; is a member of the Michigan State Medical
Society; also of the American Medical Society; is a member of Parma
Lodge, No. 183 F. & A. M., also of Jackson Chapter E. A. M., and
Jackson Commandery, No. 9, Knights Templar.
Lorenzo D. CHAPEL was born in Salem, Conn., Nov. 4, 1811. He
married Margaret Clapp, Sept. 12, 1832, and they have had 3
children—Isabel (deceased), Julius, and Helen (deceased). He came
to Michigan in 1836, and located on section 18, where he now owns 200
acres of land on which he still resides. He is a Republican in
politics. P. O., Parma.
Samuel CHAPEL, A. M., was born in Jackson County, Mich., Dec. 10,
1833. His father, Caleb M. Chapel, was a native of
Connecticut. He graduated at the University of Michigan in the
class of " '57," taking the degree of A. B., and June 28, 1876, the
degree of A. M. was conferred upon him by the same institution.
He was married to Amy A. King, May 3, 1865; their 4 children are— Mary
Elizabeth, S. Roy, Florence R. and Robbie G. Mr. Chapel is a farmer and
owns 320 acres of land in section 33, Sandstone Township. Politically
he is a Democrat. P. O., Parma.
Nathan DEAN was born in Vermont Aug. 25, 1799. He married Tryphena
Smith, Feb. 17, 1822; came to Michigan in August, 1835, and entered six
80-acre lots of Government land; made a homestead on section 7,
Sandstone Township, where he still resides with his son, George
Dean. He is a member of the M. E. Church and organized the first
class-meeting in this vicinity. P. O., Parma.
Matthew DEARIN is of Irish descent, and was born in Poughkeepsie, N.
Y., March 10, 1817. His grandfather, John Dearin, was born Aug.
2, 1755, and his grandmother, Annie Maria Lawson Dearin, Oct. 28.
1757. His father, John Dearin, was married to Annie Van Keuren,
in Dutchess County, N. Y., in 1804, and came to Michigan in September,
1837, locating in Sandstone Township, where he lived until his death,
Jan. 25,1856. He was distinguished through life for honesty,
temperance and hospitality, traits that were transmitted to his
children. Matthew Dearin was married to Abbie La Rue Perrine,
Dec. 25, 1843, a descendant of Pierre Perrine, one of three, brothers
who fled from France upon the revocation of the " Edict of Nantes " by
Louis XIV. The refugees landed on Staten Island, and finally
located near Monmouth, N. J.; it was here that Henry Perrine, the
father of Mrs. Dearin, was born; he married Esther Gilbert, in Salem,
N. Y. In 1833 he came to Sandstone, where he resided until his
death. Their children are as follows: Van, born Oct. 11, 1844;
Ann, Jan. 18, 1847 (deceased); Kate A., Jan. 19, 1849 (deceased); Henry
Perrine, Feb. 19, 1851; Mary Josephine, Aug. 12, 1853 (deceased); Ella
A., Aug. 20, 1856; Elizabeth L., June 18, 1860; David Matthew, Feb. 29,
Mr. Dearin has always been a Republican, and attended the first
Republican convention held in Jackson as a delegate. He and his wife
are members of the Congregational Church. He owns a
fine farm in sec. 34, Sandstone Township, worth about $75 per
acre. P. O., Sandstone.
Samuel FASSETT was born in Fabius, Onondaga Co., N. Y., Sept.
30,1814. His father, Samuel Fassett, Sr., was a local minister,
and preached the first sermon ever preached in Jackson, in the fall of
1830. The subject of this sketch was married to Mary Ann Dunham
Sept. 19, 1837; there are 9 children, viz.: Chas. S., Francis A., Sarah
Jane, John Henry, Solomon N., Miner P., Alvan G., Mary Jane (deceased)
and Mary Jane.
Mr. Fassett is a farmer and local minister of the M. E. Church; has
preached more funeral sermons than any other man in Jackson county; is
not a member or any political party, voting for the best
man. P. O., Parma.
David HARRINGTON was born in Rutland County, Vt., Oct. 1, 1806.
His father was a native of Connecticut, and his mother of New
York. He was married to Nancy Lynch, Oct. 6,1830; came to this
country in April, 1849, and 10 years after, located in Sandstone
Township, where he now resides with his son Charles, who was born in
New York in 1836, and came West with his father in 1849; he now lives
on section 29, this township. P. O., Parma.
Lucius Dorr HAWKINS was born in Oswego County, N. Y., Dec. 30,
1824. His father, Amasa Hawkins, was born in Otsego County, N.
Y., in 1794; his mother, Maria (King) Hawkins, a native of Vermont, was
born in 1796, and married in 1820. Mr. Hawkins, Sr., came West in
1835 and located in Spring Arbor Township. Lucius was married to
Harriet Z. Wall in October, 1845; they have 7 children, viz.: Christina
Maria, Emma Jane, Wright, Elsie, Celia, Dwight, and Dell. Mr.
Hawkins went to California in 1853 and again in 1859; he remained the
last time until 1865, dealt in mining stock with fair success; was
general manager for Flint, Peabody & Co., of San Francisco and
Boston; since his return he has been general agent for the McCormick
Reaper Co. He is a liberal Republican and was elected State
Senator by that party in 1874; is a minister of the Baptist Church;
owns a fine farm and saw-mill in section 15, Sandstone
Townsip. P. O., Parma.
Thompson Charles LEWIS was born in Saratoga County, N. Y., Nov. 12,
1811; came West in 1832; kept the Washtenaw House at Ann Arbor for
several years; in 1834, went with goods to Marshall to trade with the
Indians; was for some time agent for the stage company and also
Assistant Revenue Collector. He married Catherine Maria Toppin,
of Ann Arbor, May 22, 1838; there are 6 children—Charles, Julia,
George, Francis, Eva and James. He has lived in Parma since 1843;
belongs to Jackson lodge of Odd Fellows, No. 4. P.
Milo MARKHAM was born in Blackman Township, Jackson County, July 3,
1840. He married Sarah Jane Smith Sept. 24, 1865, and they have 2
children—Kitty Mabel and Elva Jeanette. During the war, Mr.
Markham was with McDonald's company in the capacity of a
mechanic. In 1874 he came to Sandstone Township, where he has
since resided. P. 0. Jackson.
Henry MARTIN was born in St. Lawrence County, N. Y., Aug. 28, 1823;
Geo. Martin, his father, was a native of Rensselaer County. He came
West in 1843, located in Washtenaw County; came to Parma in 1846; was
with the U. S. topographical engineers in 1843; worked for the M. C. R.
R. 18 years. He married Sarah A. Coy, Dec. 29, 1874; they have 3
children—Geo. H., Helen F. and C. R. Mr. Martin came to sec. 16,
this township., in 1854, where he now resides; he is a Democrat and
member of Parma Lodge, I. O. O. F. P. O., Parma.
H. L. MOE was born in Rutland County, Vt., in 1822; he came West with
his parents and located on sec. 25; he was married to Amelia Hay, of
Onondaga County, N. Y., Dec. 9, 1846; there are 5 children now
living—Orville, Aaron, Alma, Mabel, and Willard. In the fall of
1847 Mr. Moe came to section 4, where he now resides; owns 160 acres of
land and has been a farmer all his life. P. O., Jackson.
Amasa QUIVEY, of Sandstone Township, was born Jan. 9, 1832, in Saratoga
County, N. Y. His father, Aaron Quivey, was a farmer, and a
native of the same county. His grandfather, Amasa Quivey, was
also a native of New York State, and a Scotchman of pure blood.
Aaron Quivey married Lucinda Moe, daughter of Joseph Moe, a pioneer of
Jackson County, having settled on section 12, this township., in
1837. He had 8 sons and 3 daughters, viz.: Amasa, Joseph M..
Clara, Caroline, Mary, Aaron (deceased), William Henry, John P.,
Roscius (deceased), Israel and Charles. Amasa received his early
schooling at Clifton Park, Saratoga Co.; afterward attended Fort
Edward's Academy, in Washington County; came West in 1855, settling in
Blackmail Township, on section 30. ln 1864 he moved to section
21, this township.; sold out and removed to his present home on section
30 in 1866. He was married Dec. 24. 1857, to Miss Rachel Sammons,
daughter of Cornelius Sammons, of Blackman township., a farmer and
pioneer of 1836. They have 6 children—Mary L., Carrie A., Ada E.,
Hattie A., Charles H. and Aaron F.
Jacob RHINES was born in Shannon, N. Y., Feb. 2, 1804. He came
West and located at Sandstone in 1833; worked at black-smithing in the
village, and erected the first shop there. He was married to
Lucinda Godfrey, of Orange County, N. Y., Dec. 3, 1848; they have had 2
children—Vega J., died Sept. 28, 1876; Emmett, now living at
home. Mr. Rhines owns 196 acres of land in section 35, where he
resides, and has been engaged in farming for the past 20 years; is a
Republican in politics, and has never voted any other
ticket. P. O., Sandstone.
Edmund W. RICHARDSON was born in Genesee County, N. Y., May 21,
1823. He came West with his parents in 1834, and located in
Lenawee County, Mich.; in the fall of 1835 he came to Jackson County,
and located in section 21, Sandstone Township; in 1852 went to
California, where he remained four years. He was married Jan. 13,
1868, to Angylette Alexander, of Richland County, Ohio; they have had 3
children, viz.: Dora, Delia (deceased), and Jared. In
February, 1856. Mr. R. located in section 17, where he has since
lived. In politics he is a Republican. P. O.,
Jared Leroy RICHARDSON was born in Leroy, Genesee Co., N. Y., April 13,
1813, son of Jared Richardson, a native of Massachusetts. In 1834
he came West and located in Sandstone Township, the following year
going to Monroe on foot and alone to buy his land. He was
married, to Harriet Maria Bush, Feb. 2, 1837. There are 4
children—Harriet Lavina, Henry Clay, Lucretia Maria and Frederic
Albert; Ida May was adopted in 1855. Politically, Mr. Richardson
is a Republican, and has held nearly all of the township offices. P.
Thomas SACKRIDER was born in Oxford County, Canada, March 28, 1822; his
father, Christian Sackrider, was a native of Saratoga County, N.
Y. He came to Michigan in 1840 and was married to Mary McClary,
of Charleston, Kalamazoo County, Nov. 9, 1846. Mr. and Mrs. S.
have 3 children—Frederick G, Frank and William. He came to
Sandstone in 1865, located on section 26, where he now resides.
He owns 148 acres. Politically, he is a Republican, and a member
of the Congregational Church. P. O., Sandstone.
Jonathan S. SCOTT was born in Madison County, N. Y., Aug. 23, 1816;
came to Monroe County, Mich., in 1842, and in 1844 to Parma, where he
now resides. He was married to Dorcas Ann Miller Oct. 13, 1839,
in Genesee County, N. Y. There are 3 children—Irene Louise,
Chester E. and Anson S. His wife died Jan. 12, 1847, and Sept. 1,
1847, he married Elizabeth D. Ingram; they have 2 children—Elsie K. and
J. W. Mr. Scott was in the employ of the M. C. R. R. 23 years,
holding responsible positions. He now resides in
Parma. P. O., Parma.
Levi SOMERS, of Parma village, was born in Schoharie County, N. Y.,
Nov. 12, 1808. He came to Michigan and settled in Parma village
in 1836; is a blacksmith by trade, and has made it the occupation of
his life. He married Miss Mary Van Alstine Sept. 2, 1830, and
they have had 11 children, of whom 8 are still living. His
father, John Somers, was a farmer by occupation, a native of Erie
County, and was born July 26, 1763. He married Charity Merermess,
who was born in Germany, May 30, 1771. They were married Nov. 20,
1788, and had 14 children; the ages of those living are as follows:
Susan, 90 years; Abram, 85; John, 81; David 76; Levi, 72; and
Elizabeth, 59; total, 463. Mr. Somers is now living a retired
life; is a man much respected as a neighbor and a citizen.
Timothy T. TITUS was born in Niagara County, N. Y., July 15,
1822. He came West with his parents in 1833. His father
located Government land on section 29, Sandstone Township. He was
married to Laura J. Pool, of Genesee County, N. Y., in February, 1851;
they have 3 children, viz.: Jane, Cornelius and William P., all living
at home. In May, 1853, he removed to section 17, where he has
since resided. He is a thorough Republican and has voted with his
party ever since its formation. P. O , Parma.
David D. TRUMBULL was born in Colchester, New London County, Conn.,
June 29, 1811; came to Michigan in 1833 and located in Sandstone
Township. He married Hannah Latimer in November, 1837, and they
have 1 child—Benjamin, now living with his father. Mr. Trumbull
is a Democrat; he and his son own 240 acres of land in section 36,
Sandstone Township. P. O., Sandstone.
Edmwnd UPTON, born in Dutchess County, N. Y., March 14, 1828; came West
with his father, who located on section 18, Sandstone Township, in
1835; he lives on the old homestead, owning 190 acres of the land
entered by his father in 1835. He is a Republican, and has been
elected Supervisor by that party several times; he is a very successful
man and well esteemed by all who know him. He has never married,
the only mistake he ever committed. P. O., Parma.
Olive VEDDER was born in Spofford, N. Y., Nov. 26, 1813. She
married William Raymond, Dec. 12, 1831, who died Nov. 7, 1865.
Aug. 16, 1871, she married William Tedder, of Sandstone, who died in
1876. Mrs. Vedder now lives on the old homestead of 280 acres in
section 12. She is a member of the M. E. Church, and is well
known and respected by all. P. O., Jackson.
Henry D. VER VALIN was born in Dutchess County, N. Y., Jan. 27, 1832;
he is a descendant of a distinguished German family; came West in 1856
and located in Sandstone Township. Nov. 29, 1859; he married
Emeline Horn, of New York, and they have 1 child— Delia Grace. He has
lived in Sandstone since 1856; is a Republican in politics, and a
member of Wesleyan Methodist Church. P. O., Parma.
Chester WALL is the son of John and Sally (Parker) Wall, natives of
Nova Scotia. At the age of 15 John Wall came to New York with his
parents; served in the American army during the Revolution, and was
taken prisoner by the British at New York; after the war he followed
the sea some years, but finally abandoned it and settled in Cayuga
County, N. Y., where Chester was born. He was married to
Christiana Prink, Jan. 31, 1825, at Royalton, Niagara County, N. Y.;
came West in 1830 and located in this township.; entered 160 acres of
land in section 35, where he has since resided;, his wife died Dec. 13,
1840, leaving 5 children, viz.: Harriet Z., born Dec. 22, 1826; Lydia
A., Sept. 23, 1829; Sarah M., May 14, 1832, died Feb. 12, 1857; Ashur
F., July 24, 1834, died Dec. 17, 1874; Nathan C, Mar. 6, 1840.
Lucius Wall married Rachel Tillon, May 13, 1841, in this county; they
have 6 children, as follows: Amanda G, born Nov. 15, 1844; Marion,
April 3, 1846; Clara, July 10, 1849; Josephine, May 9, 1851; Frances
A., Oct. 11, 1853; Florence A., Nov. 9, 1855. Mr. Wall is the
oldest settler in Jackson County, having been here 51 years. He
is engaged in farming, and owns as a homestead 310 acres of good land,
80 acres of which is a part of the original 160 entered 51 years ago;
it is valued at $60 per acre. He is a Republican in politics, and
has held nearly all the offices in the township.; is not a member of
any Church or secret society, but is never behind in any of the
movements intended to benefit humanity.