At the spring election
in 1833, held in Spring Arbor, Mr. Gibson received the full vote for
supervisor, and the entire number of votes cast was 11. The next
year he was elected to the same office, receiving the full vote, which
had increased to 31. The present township was set off in 1838, having
also been divided from its first eight townships into four in
1836. The first supervisor of the town, after its final
organization, was Dr. Connell.
A. B. Gibson and Moses Bean settled in Spring Arbor
township in the
spring of 1831. That township then embraced the eight townships
west of Jacksonburgh. There were three families besides himself
at the time he located there, Isaac N. Swain's, Mr. Smith's, and Mr.
Van Fossen's. Among the old settlers who were pioneers in this
town are, James Videto, L. W. Douglas, J. D. Crouch and Louis Snyder,
This town is quite intimately connected with the
early history of
Jackson County. It was here that the Pottawatomies had their
Indian village. Here also to-day is to be seen the old
burying-ground of their young " braves." For a great many years
the people of the town kept this burying-ground well fenced, but of
late years they have forgotten this humane duty, and the traces of
Indian occupation are daily growing more and more extinct.
The college of Spring Arbor was the Alpha of the
Presidents Graham and Fairfield having started their school here, and
continued it for several years before removing it to Hillsdale.
The buildings were erected by a joint-stock company, and the
institution was under the special patronage of the Free-Will
Baptists. For some years after the removal of the college to
Hillsdale the buildings were unoccupied, but the Free Methodist
denomination opened a school in them in 1874.
The agricultural resources of the township are
without a rival; the
many opportunities which it offers to the manufacturer seem to pass
unnoticed, so that the township capital may be said to be comprised in
church, school, and postoffice buildings.
SPRING ARBOR SEMINARY
The Spring Arbor
Seminary is situated eight
and one half miles south and west of Jackson city, on the Air-Line of
the M. C. R. R. This institution of learning was organized by the Free
Methodists in 1872. It commenced with nine trustees, all business
being carried on by the direct vote of the board. The board now
numbers 15, and the business is conducted by a code of by-laws. The
yearly meeting of the board convenes in the school-building the first
Wednesday of each November. Present Board—-Chester S. Gitchell,
President, Spring Arbor, Mich.; Ira W. Bell, Secretary, Pittsford,
Mich.; A. M. Shipley, Treasurer, Spring Arbor, Mich.; Win. H. Osman,
Agent, Pontiac, Mich.; Edward P. Hart, Jackson, Mich.; Charles Mattice,
Spring Arbor, Mich.; John French, Spring Arbor, Mich.; Alpheus Spencer,
Spring Arbor, Mich.; Lemuel T. Frink, Spring Arbor, Mich.; Dewitt
Pretty, Spring Arbor, Mich.; D. P. Baker, Chicago Ill.; Burton E.
Jones, Cleveland, Ohio, W. H. Clark,Parma, Mich.;D. W. Abrams, Paw Paw,
Mich.; Mr.Pallaster, Kay, Mich.
Arrangements and preparations were being made in the
fall and winter
preceding the opening of the first term. The old buildings, formerly
the college building of the Free-Will Baptist denomination, were
repaired to serve a sufficient number of years to determine the future
success of such a school—then to give way to a commodious structure
intended for convenience and durability.
The citizens living near these old buildings
subscribed enough to
purchase the property, and something toward the improvements, for which
the school was to be run at least five years. Rev. E. P. Hart,
now resident of Jackson city, had the full control of purchasing the
property and preparing the buildings, and almost the entire management
until the prospect of success was deemed certain.
The first term was held in the spring of 1873 by
Prof. Clark Jones,
assisted by his wife. Twenty-eight students were in
attendance. The opening of the fall term received an addition
both of teachers and scholars, Prof. Jones being the principal, and
continued as such until the close of the fall term of 1874. Prof.
Callaud, of Oberlin, Ohio, was secured as principal during the winter
term of 1874-'5. Nearly 100 students were in attendance.
The spring term was conducted by Prof. Walter A. Sellew, of Syracuse,
N. Y. He was engaged to take charge of the school for the coming
year, but during the spring term the death of his father called him
back to New York, and Prof. Jones took his place. The pressure in
money matters and the decline in property weighed heavily for a time
upon the school, reducing the number, but gradually wore away.
The running of the school for five years, commencing with the fall term
of 1876, was placed in the hands of Prof. Jones, who is conducting it
with ability. The roll of students is on the increase. The
winter term of 1880-'l numbered 116. This spring's term is about
100. The tuition, including incidental expenses, is as follows:
Primary department, $4; Intermediate, $6; Languages, $8.
The surroundings of this school recommend it to the favor of all
parents wishing to educate their children, and at the same time save
them from ruinous company and low, obscene conversation and conduct.
There is no saloon within five miles to entice the youth into coarse,
rough expression, blasphemies, foul-mouthed vulgarity and other deadly,
damning habits. No hotel for loungers. No place for
doubtful recreations. Therefore the children are not trained in
card-playing, dice and other games tending to gambling or squandering
of time. No mania for tobacco. Students are not poisoning
the air with narcotic practice, neither would it he allowed. No
tobacco sold in the place except at a very small, poverty-stricken
establishment in the suburbs. One convenient and sufficiently
extensive store is kept by Messrs. Bailey & Rogers.
This seminary has some promising and effective
advantages over other
like institutions of the State, in that most of the female students
dress plain but neat, thus cutting off the many hours of silly thought
and talk about fashions, and the much time consumed in making and
arranging their apparel, and the parades to disclose their decorations,
until the mind finds little else to occupy it; also those fun-making
socials, chaining the attention from one to two days before their
meeting, then bind the mind at least one day more in amusing themselves
over the comic and other parts of the entertainment, leaving the heart
foolish, vain and trifling. With this school, sound, thorough
education is the motto, coupled with the principles of morality and
extended religious privileges.
The seminary carries the student within two years of
a graduation at
Ann Arbor College, giving the children a longer time for healthy, moral
exercise, strengthening them to resist detrimental influences when
finishing their education, than at colleges where students have been
permitted to have their liberty in recreations which dissipate
the mind and hinder them from being master scholars.
The corps of teachers numbers four. Prof.
Clark Jones, graduate
of Ann Arbor College, is principal of the school and teacher of
languages. Prof. David S. Warner, graduate of the Baptist college
of Rochester, N. Y., teacher of mathematics. Miss H. J.
Chittenden, of Newark Seminary, N. Y., principal teacher in the
preparatory department, and preceptress of the school. Mr. John
Huston, assistant teacher in the intermediate department.
is to be erected during the spring and summer of 1882,
which will add measurably to the appearance of the village, increasing
greatly the value of the surrounding farms. It will establish the
place for many years to come as a desirable resort for educational
pursuits, and a healthy, quiet place to build homes for permanent
residence. The dwellings of Spring Arbor village are mostly new
and commanding, and the number is increasing.
Alfred E. BAILEY was born July 3, 185-, in
Galva, Henry County, Ill., where he lived with his parents until
1868. His father, Lewis Bailey, was born in Lawrence
County, N. Y., and in an early day, with his parents, moved to Delaware
County, O. There his father, James Bailey, ran a saw-mill and
flouring-mill, and by this means Lewis learned the miller's
trade. While living in Ohio Lewis married Mary E. Brown.
After two years of married life in Ohio, he and his wife and child,
Lennette, moved to Henry County, Ill., near Galva, where he put up a
flouring-mill and remained there eight years or so, in which time one
more member was added to the family, Alfred. The father feeling
his call to the ministry, sold his interest in the mill and entered the
ministry, in which he continued until his death, Dec. 22, 1873.
He had been publisher and proprietor of a religious paper for three
years previous to his death, which the widow continued for about nine
months after his death, and then sold it. It had been the
father's design to send his son Alfred to the seminary situated at
Spring Arbor, and in the fall of 1874 Alfred came to Spring Arbor,
where he now lives, also his mother. His sister, Lennet B. Dake,
died in Iowa in 1876. Alfred E. is now engaged in business as a
partner in the firm of Bailey & Rogers, of Spring Arbor. Mr.
Bailey had been teaching in the seminary nearly two years, but saw a
chance to enter business and did so. He is Postmaster, and owns
the larger interest in the stock.
Ambrose BEAN, the first white child born in the town of Spring Arbor,
Oct. 17, 1831, lives now on section 12. His father, Moses Bean,
came to Michigan in 1830 and entered the land on section 12, in Spring
Arbor, and built one of the first houses in the town, and made the
first wagon road west of Jackson into Spring Arbor. He died at
the same place only last January (Jan. 30, 1881), over 70 years of age,
being born Sept. 14, 1808, in New Hampshire. Mrs. Moses Bean is
still living with her son Ambrose, in the full possession of all her
faculties, having a mind full of the recollections of the early history
of Jackson County. Before marriage her name was Lydia
Perry. She was born Jan. 16,1809, and moved to Spring Arbor in
the spring of 1831, with her husband. Ambrose married Losinda
Hosmer, of Oakland County, Dec. 10, 1862; 3 children are living—Nettie,
born March 27, 1864; George H., Oct. 11, 1869; and Seth S., June 11,
1871. Mrs. Ambrose Bean died March 29, 1877.
Lorenzo Dow BEAN, brother of the next mentioned, was born Oct. 6,1825,
at Batavia, N. Y; came to Michigan in 1834; married March 4, 1861,
Urania Spaulding, who was born July 2, 1842. Children—Eugene S.,
born Sept. 16, 1862; Zachariah Chandler, Aug. 28,1864; Jewett S., Dec.
15, 1866; Fred R., Oct. 8, 1868; Lorenzo, Jr., Oct. 27,1871, and died
Nov. 3,1872; and Bessie May, born Jan. 29, 1877. Mr. Bean has a
fine farm on section 12, of about 400 acres, and back of his stone
residence stands the first frame house built in the town. Mr. B.
is a Republican.
John H. BEAN was born in Batavia, N. Y., Feb. 13, 1820; came to Spring
Arbor May 22, 1834, by the way of the lake, and from Detroit, even as
early in the spring as that, with the reports in previous years that
Michigan was all swamp. There was hardly water or mud enough the
whole way to wet the tire. Nov. 27, 1844, he married Miss Susan
Cranmore, who was born June 26, 1818, at Batavia, N. Y., and came to
Michigan in 1839. Their children are—Celinda S., born Aug.
26,1846, now Mrs. D. A. Culver, Liberty, Mich.; Naomi F., March
25,1849, and was married to Dr. L. T. Van Horn April 16, 1873, by Rev.
Mr. Hunt. She died at Homer, Oct. 6,1876. John 0., born Oct.
7,1851; residence, Parma; Sinkler O, Aug. 30, 1853; Elmore J., Dec.
1,1855; and Nolan S., Sept. 2, 1860.
Sinkler BEAN, father of the two preceding, was born in New Hampshire
Dec. 16, 1793; married Betsey Haynes in 1815; came to Michigan with his
family in 1834, when John H. was but a boy. John's parents have
been dead a number of years, and he lives now upon his farm, section
12, of nearly 400 acres, on the Spring Arbor road, four miles west of
the city. Mr. Bean has always been a teetotaler, never having
called for a glass of any intoxicating drink in his
life. P. O., Jackson city.
St. Clair BEAN, Sr., farmer, section 19; P. O., Spring Arbor; was born
Nov. 25, 1809, in Salisbury, N. H., and came to Michigan in 1846.
Mr. Bean's first wife, Rebecca West, was the mother of Henry F., born
Sept. 23, 1833; he is an engineer and surveyor, now locating the
northern extension of railroads in Northern Michigan. Other
children were—Fanny (deceased), Clarissa and St. Clair, Jr., born Feb.
5, 1849, now of Spring Arbor. March 12, 1868, Mr. Bean married
his present wife, Maria Darling, who was born at Lockport, N. Y., Aug.
26,1825. Her parents, Amasa and Hannah Darling, came to Michigan
in 1834, the mother living now with her daughter. Mrs. Darling is
in her 90th year, probably the oldest person in the town. Mr.
Bean owns one of the finest burr-oak farms in Michigan, of several
hundred acres, two miles west of the Spring Arbor College.
John BELDEN was born in Litchfield County, Conn., Dec. 16, 1806.
His ancestors were among the earliest settlers of that county.
During his youth he worked on his father's farm, and attended the
district school winters. Afterward attended the high school at
Groshen. For some time afterward he taught school in his native
State, as well as in the State of New York, afterward attending in Ohio
and Michigan. In 1832 he purchased land in section 26, in Spring
Arbor, upon which he has since resided, and which is accounted one of
the best farms in the county. In 1838 he married Harriet Hale,
and has 1 son. He has held various offices of trust, including
Supervisor, which he has had a number of times. He is universally
esteemed as a man of strict integrity and kindness of heart, seeking
rather the good of others than himself. His memory will be
cherished by all who know him for his noble characteristics. A
portrait of Mr. Belden will be found on page 839.
Francis BELDEN came to Jackson County in an early day and settled in
Spring Arbor, on the southeast quarter of the southeast section of the
township. He never married. In 1844 Henry Town and wife
came from Orleans county, N. Y., and stopped with Mr. Belden.
Dec. 19, 1845, Mr. Town died, leaving his wife and 2 children—George W.
and Kate L. Mrs. Town has remained upon the farm ever since,
keeping house and taking care of Mr. Belden in his old age, until his
death, which occurred but a few years ago. For her faithfulness
and care the property, in part at least, was willed to her, and she is
now managing the farm. The daughter is now Mrs. Ambrose Crouch.
T. C. BISHOP, born in Monroe County, N. Y., Oct. 8, 1833, came to
Michigan in '56 and married Martha A. Cary Oct. 18, 1869; she was born
in Massachusetts, May 27, 1850; their children are — Frances Bell, born
Nov. 12, 1870, and John Fredy, Jan. 3, 1873. Mr. Bishop's father,
Barnwell Bishop, came to Michigan and settled in Hanover before he
came. His mother, Eliza (Birchill) Bishop, recently died in
Baldwins, March 9, 1881. Mr. Bishop has a fine farm on section
34, worth $70 per acre. He has worked hard to accumulate this
property, and can look forward now to days of plenty and peace.
By a straightforward course in life and strict honesty he has gained
the respect of all. In politics he is a Republican. P.O.
address, Horton, Mich.
Anthony CARTER, farmer and wheat-buyer, was born Jan. 17,1842, at
Manchester, this State, also the native place of his wife, who was Miss
Laura C. Moore. They were married April 10, 1865; their first
child, Sarah Bell, was born Jan. 8,1866; their eldest son, Lyman P.,
Feb. 3, 1867; Emma C. was born March 29, 1872; Lenora E., Feb. 6,1874,
and John F., April 20, 1876. Mr. Carter's parents have lived in Spring
Arbor for a good many years, his father's farm joining one of his on
section 22, near Snyder's Station, the only shipping point in Spring
Arbor. Mr. Carter has bought wheat here for some time, and in the
last year has already bought over 50 car-loads, paying Jackson
prices. Mr. Carter is a member of the Board of Trade, with a
number of prominent citizens of the town. He has two very nice
farms, on section 22, one of which he offers very cheap, as he proposes
to give his attention to the wheat trade.
Oliver CHAPEL was born in New London County, Conn., Aug. 27, 1818; came
West with his parents in 1832; was married to Louisa J. Chapman Nov. 7,
1841; there were no children by this marriage; she died July 4,
1856. He married Keziah Donner, Jan. 13, 1858. Their
children are—Jackson and George W. In March, 1842, Mr. Chapel
located on section 5, this township, where he now resides. He now
owns 160 acres of land in Spring Arbor and Sandstone townships.
He is a member of the Presbyterian Church. Politically,
Republican. P. O., Parma.
John COGSWELL, born in Ticonderoga, Essex Co., N. Y., June 17,
1833. His father, John Cogswell, Sr., came to Spring Arbor, in
1834, and died April 18, 1870; the mother, Eunice M. (Mead), died Sept.
14, 1872. Dec. 24, 1865, Mr. Cogswell, married Maria French,
daughter of John French, whose biography appears further down.
They have 2 children—Albert Ray, born Nov. 24, 1874, and Charles
Gardner, April 22,1880. They reside on the farm the father took
up, a fine burr-oak tract now worth $75 to $100 per
acre. Mr. Cogswell is a Republican. P. O., Spring Arbor.
Alpheus COON, born in Somerset County, N. Y., July 8, 1815; in 1838 he
went to Illinois; came to Michigan in 1841, settling on section 16,
this township Nov. 27, 1844, he was married to Mary Ann Cranmore, of
Summit, this county, and James, the eldest son, was born May 21, 1846,
now of Brookfield, Mich.; Ellen Mary was born April 24, 1849, and died
Nov. 27, 1864; Douglass, the youngest son, was born May 29, 1858.
Mr. Coon lives a half mile east of Spring Arbor Seminary, on the
Jackson road, on the farm he has owned so long. Mrs. Coon's
mother is still living, in Summit, this county, well advanced in years.
Wm. Smith CROWL, County Surveyor, one of the first white children born
in Spring Arbor, named after Dea. Wm. Smith, an old pioneer and much
loved neighbor of his parents, Buel P. and Maria (Worth) Crowl.
They came to Spring Arbor in the fall of 1831. William was born
the next spring, April 3, 1832. He attended some of the best
schools in the country, attained a fine mathematical education, and has
engaged quite extensively in surveying. In 1856 he married Miss
Josephine Tift. Two sons and 1 daughter— Clarence E., born Jan.
5, 1869; Herman E., March 21, 1873, and Anna Verne, March 25,
1876. The father is taking great pride in the education of his
boys, who are remarkably forward in their studies. The widowed
mother of William, now at the advanced age of 80, lives with her son,
retaining her mental faculties remarkably. Mr. Crowl has always
been a Republican. P. O., Spring Arbor.
Fitch, B. COMSTOCK, born Jan. 1, 1805, in Montville, Conn.; married in
Buffalo, N. Y., Jan. 28, 1833, Miss Eliza Thorp, who was born in
Saratoga County, N. Y., Nov. 6, 1801. They came to Michigan in
the spring of 1833, and lived for many years in Sandstone. There
were but very few log houses west of Jackson when they came in.
Their children are—Mary D., Carole B., James A., born Oct. 8, 1837, now
on the old farm, section 28, Sandstone; Chas. V., born April 7,1840,
and died May 10, 1873; Francis Henry, born April 1,1843. Mr. and
Mrs. Comstock, now in their old age, have a pleasant home on section
11, near the Spring Arbor Mills. He has always been a staunch
Republican, an upright neighbor, and is held in great respect by his
many old acquaintances.
James A. DEWEY was born in Cohocton, Steuben Co., N. Y., Jan.
21,1824. In 1836 he came to Michigan with his parents, Timothy
and Sally (Flint) Dewey, who live now on section 25, in Concord
Township, where they settled when they came to the county. They
had a large family; James is the oldest living; he married Oct.
24,1849, Amanda Gary, who was born in Vermont, a daughter of John and
Sally (Rice) Gary, pioneers of Calhoun County, Mich. Mr. Dewey
has had 3 children, the eldest deceased—C. Clark was born Aug. 1, 1852,
and died April 18, 1859; Phineas J., born Jan. 3, 1854, and Wilber J.,
born March 10, 1856. Phineas J. Dewey was married
Jan. 5, 1875, to the daughter of S. F. Woolcut, of Concord, and an old
settler of Spring Arbor, Julia F., whose mother, Harriet F., nee Stone,
came to Hanover, this county, with her parents when the county was very
Justus FOWLER, born at Fabius, Onondaga Co., N. Y., March 26, 1810;
came to Michigan in 1838, and settled on section 19, in Liberty.
He married at Tally, N. Y., in 1839, Flory M. Lake. On the farm in
Liberty 2 sons were born: the eldest, Henry H, March 30, 1840, who died
at Murfreesboro, Tenn., Jan. 15, 1862, while with his regiment, the
14th Mich. Cav. Major Van- Antwerp, now of the Jackson Patroit,
writing his obituary, speaks in the highest terms of Sergeant Fowler,
of his virtues as a man and soldier. The second son, Charles W.,
now of the firm of Fowler & Dunham, was born Sept. 17, 1842.
He is now President of the Y. M. C. A. of the city of Jackson.
Mr. Fowler's first wife died Dec. 2, 1847. From this time to the
present his home has been in Spring Arbor, on section 13. In
1848, Dec. 12, he married Miss Olive R. Miner, of Liberty, and they
have 2 sons, born on the Spring Arbor homestead —Clark R., born Dec. 9,
1850, is married and lives now at the place of his birth, where his
only child (a daughter) was born, in the same room 30 years after;
Frank W., born Jan. 20, 1853, resides now in Liberty, on section 19, on
the farm entered from the Government by his grandfather, Justus Fowler,
Sr., who died May 19, 1858, in the 90th year of his age. Mrs.
Olive (Miner) Fowler's father, who lived in Liberty, Anderson Miner,
died in 1878, at the age of 83 years. T he mother, Mrs. Miner, lives
now in Montcalm County, Michigan. The subject of this sketch,
Justus Fowler, is now at the allotted age of man, enjoying the fruits
of his labor and the respect of all the wide circle of acquaintances,
and a beautiful home. He is but a fair representative of the men
who have cleared up the oak openings of Jackson County and made the
substantial farm improvements that dot every section of our
county. P. O., Jackson.
John FRENCH was born in Hopewell, Ontario Co., N.T., April 23,
1811. He lived in Buffalo and married there, in 1831, Nancy
Lothrage; they came to Michigan in 1833, first to Ann Arbor. By
this marriage Mr. French had 3 children—the eldest, Moses J., now
Deputy Sheriff of Jackson County, residence Jackson; Hannah M., who
died in her 18th year, and Elizabeth, now Mrs. John Denton, of
Jackson. Mr. French's first wife died in Spring Arbor in the fall
of 1840. He was married again Jan. 3, 1844, to Almira M. Spratt,
who was born in Washington County, N. Y., Sept. 9, 1818; she came to
Michigan in 1835. The children by this marriage— Maria, now Mrs.
John Cogswell (see sketch above); Martha A. and Joseph A. Mr. French
has been connected with public matters for several years, and is one of
the Board of Trustees of the Spring Arbor Seminary.
Chester S. GITCHELL was born Dec. 8, 1834, in Parma, Monroe Co., N.
Y. His father, Rev. David D. Gitchell, was born Aug.
8, 1807, in Vermont, and died Dec. 27, 1877, in Mishawaka, St. Joseph
Co., Indiana. Almira Handy, his mother, was born March 29, 1812,
in Connecticut, and died in Mishawaka in the fall of 1842. His
father married Almira Handy in the winter of 1831. Nancy, their
eldest, was born in Parma, Monroe Co., N. Y., June 16, 1832, and died
in Michigan February, 1857. Maria S. was born May 10, 1836, in
Parma. Chester came with his parents to Ba Bago, St. Joseph Co.,
Mich., the summer of 1836. Leman Gitchell was born in this place
in 1838, and died in Mishawaka in the fall of 1840. Early in the
fall his family moved to Mishawaka. James H. was born in the
spring of 1841, and died here in the fall of 1845. Rev. D. D.
Gitchell, father, married for his second wife Rebecca Curtiss, who bore
him 2 children, Almira and Eliza, in Mishawaka, and died in this place
in 1849. In the spring of 1851 Rev. Mr. G. married Mrs. Mary Ann
Curtiss, sister to his second wife, who bore him 2 children—Didama and
Chester was sent to a select school for several
years, and afterward attended the Northwestern University of
Chicago. March 16, 1854, he was united in matrimony to Miss Nancy
Shick, of Elkhart County, Ind., and moved to Elkhart village, where
they resided two years, and where their first child, John D., was born
Nov. 11, 1856, and died in Grove City, Christian Co., Ills. He
moved with his family to this place in the spring of 1857.
Delilah M. was born in Grove City, April 6, 1858. Didama S. was
born Aug. 5, 1860, in Blueville, of the same county, and is now the
wife of Francis Crouch, of Jackson County, Mich. Chester S.
experienced religion Aug. 19, 1859, and in the fall of 1861 moved to
Evanston, Ill., where he took a theological course in the Garrett
Biblical Institute of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In the fall
of 1863 he joined the Free Methodist Church, and took work in the
Illinois Conference, and Clintonville, Kane Co., was his first
circuit. Here Mary S. was born, Feb. 6, 1864. He preached
two years in Illinois, one in Indiana, then one in Michigan.
Willis F. was born Jan. 6, 1867, in London, Monroe Co., Mich. The
next year, conference sent him back to Indiana, where he remained two
years; then was sent to Richland County, Ohio. Benjamin F. was
born in this county Jan. 3, 1870. Two years in Ohio, three more
in Indiana, then the remaining time the family were in Michigan,
principally in Spring Arbor. Mirtie, their youngest, was born
Feb. 22, 1877, in Spring Arbor, and died Sept. 29, 1877, in
Coopersville, Ottawa Co., Mich.
John Shick, Mrs. G.'s father, was born in Lancaster,
Pa., in 1808, and moved to Stark County, Ohio. Sarah Palmer, her
mother, was born in Stark County, Ohio, in 1808. Her parents were
married in 1831. Mary, their eldest child, was born April 20,
1832, in Springfield, Stark Co. Nancy, their second child, was born
Dec. 5, 1834, in Springfield. Urias F. was born in Springfield, Sept.
1, 1837. In the fall of 1840 the family moved to Medina County,
Ohio. Lydia was born in Wadsworth, Medina Co., Sept. 8,
1842. Amos was born May 14, 1844, in Wadsworth, and died in the
army near Vicksburg. Susan was born in June, 1846, and died three
years of age. The family moved to Elkhart County, Ind., where
Lovina was born February, 1849, and died in the spring of 1854.
The family were of German descent.
Hulbert HALSTED, section 35; P. O., Horton; he was
born at Wilson, Niagara Co., N. Y., Sept. 24, 1828. He came to
Jackson County when a boy, with his stepfather, and settled in the
south part of Liberty; and there, near the old Chicago turnpike, he
helped to break up the oak openings when a mere boy, driving
"breaking-up" teams, barefooted, and often working beyond the strength
of his slight frame, not attaining man's size until after he became a
voter. But by hard work and exchange of land and farms he has now
one of the best in the county. Feb. 16, 1862, after a home had
been procured, Mr. Halsted married Mrs. Jenette McMichael, daughter of
Daniel O. and Sally Lee, old settlers here from Niagara County, N.
Y. She was the widow of Allen McMichael, by whom she had 2
children—Sylvester, born Oct. 15, 1851, died May 18, 1875; and Eliza
M., born Nov. 18, 1852, now Mrs. Wm. Vroman, who also has had 2
children—Burt, born May 2, 1875, and Freddy, born May 14, 1876, and
died Jan. 27, 1877. Mr. and Mrs. Halsted have 1 boy—Charles N.,
born Dec. 25, 1865. Her father, Daniel O. Lee, died Oct. 16,
1849, aged 48 years, 11 months and 20 days. Her brothers and
sisters are deceased-John died July 24, 1852; Mary died May 13, 1844,
in her 18th year; Isaac died Aug. 8, 1858, also in his 18th year; and
Ira died July 4, 1868, in his 23d year. For further particulars
of the Lee family, see sketch of Abraham Lee, in Summit Township.
Porter S. HARRINGTON was born April 14, 1842, in
Summit, this county; his father, Charles Harrington, came into Jackson
County in an early day, and to Spring Arbor, on section 15, where he
now lives with several of his children settled around him on beautiful
farms. Porter was married April 14, 1868, to Miss Lina M. Teft,
who was born in Spring Arbor, April 25, 1848; she was the daughter of
one of the pioneers of the county—V. J. Teft, who died in 1854; her
mother died in 1851; both are buried in the Spring Arbor
cemetery. Mr. and Mrs. Harrington have 1 child—Cora, born Sept.
11, 1873. They have a beautiful home on the Spring Arbor road, a
fine farm of some 200 acres of as good strong land as Jackson County
can produce; P. O., Spring Arbor.
Judge Barnabas O. HATCH (deceased), of Spring Arbor
Township, was born in August, 1809; emigrated from Steuben County, N.
Y., about 1837. He was deprived of school advantages in youth,
and when married had no education; but through his own efforts,
assisted by an excellent wife, he attained a degree of culture superior
to most persons enjoying much better opportunities. The
Judge was married in 1829, and his children are—Eliza J., now Mrs. W.
J. Weeks; George N., the next mentioned; James E., Hanover; Sylvanus
C., died Aug. 6, 1849; John O., Hanover; Barnabas O, Jr., Helen H, now
Mrs. James F. Brown; Charles B., Harriet A., afterward Mrs. J. B.
Weeks, died June 23, 1875, and Lewis Cass. Upon arriving in
Jackson County, the only capital he possessed was an extraordinary
supply of common sense, industry and energy, these, had it not been for
a proverbial liberality, would have made him very wealthy; but as it
was, he earned a competence for declining years, and besides, as each
son became of age and married he was fitted out with a good farm.
Judge Hatch's generosity and public spirit led him to take great
interest in, and to labor for, the advancement of Jackson city and
county. That he was highly esteemed as a neighbor and citizen was
well attested by the calls made upon him to fill official
positions. He represented his township in the county Board of
Supervisors eight or ten terms; held the office of Justice of the Peace
20 years; served some time as second Assistant County Judge; was chosen
Representative to the Legislature in 1849, and was soon after elected
County Judge. In all these positions he discharged his duties
with signal ability and fidelity. To rare intellectual endowments
Judge Hatch supplemented a fine sense of honor and unswerving integrity
of character. He died Feb. 22, 1874, leaving a family of 8
children and a valuable estate.
George N. HATCH, son of the preceding, was born June
13, 1832, in Steuben County, N. Y.; he came to Spring Arbor with his
father, Judge Barnabas C. Hatch, in 1835. He was married Nov. 26,
1854, to Ann Hutchins, whose father, Jacob Hutchins, came to Michigan
in 1843, to Summit. Their children are— James B., born July 5,
1856; Eleanor E., Sept. 10, 1858. Mrs. Hatch died Jan. 6, 1879,
and is buried in the cemetery south of Baldwins. Mr. Hatch has
taken a prominent part in the affairs of the county for years. He
is the Supervisor of Spring Arbor at the present time and has held the
office many years. His farm is one of the best in the county;
situated on section 35, about a mile from Baldwins. He married
again March 25, 1880, Mrs. Frances A. Gildersleave. P. O.,
Amasa F. HAWKINS was born in Oswego County, N. Y.,
Aug. 7, 1828; came West with his parents and located in Jackson County
in 1835; married Ruth Amelia Hubbard, of Lenawee County, Mich., Dec.
27, 1852. They have 9 children, viz.: Amasa Hubbard and Francis
Way land, deceased; Ella Amelia, Cora V., Delia Maud, Francis Wallace,
Angie, Amasa and Jessie J. Mr. Hawkins owns 180 acres in section
5, Spring Arbor Township, where he resides; is independent in politics;
religiously is in sympathy with the Unitarians. P.O., Parma.
Henry S. HOLCOMB was born in Ulster County, N. Y.,
June 12, 1800. May 9, 1821, he married Jane Slaughter, born in
Steuben County, N. Y., April 12, 1805. He came to Spring Arbor
July 3, 1833; entered 4 eighties of land on section 25. They have
a large family, now mostly residents of Michigan, and nearly 40
grandchildren. Their children are—Charles Horton, the oldest, is
deceased; Christian, John, Diana, Sally, Nancy, and Daniel S., born
Nov. 6, 1833; residence, Summit; P. O., Jackson; Eb. N., born Aug. 30,
1835; residence, Jackson; Margaret, Henry S.,
William T., Edwin (deceased), Jane, Gertand and Amanda F. Mr.
Holcomb died July 14, 1854; he was of Welsh descent. Mrs.
Holcomb's father and grandfather on her mother's side were both
Revolutionary soldiers, the latter being in the whole seven years of
Clark JONES, the present principal and manager of
the Spring Arbor Seminary, was born near Delta, Ohio, March 5,
1842. His parents were among the first settlers of that section,
and were natives of the State of Vermont. After having lived in
Ohio for some years they came to Michigan about 1850 and settled in
Monroe County. Clark received his early education at a district
school near his Michigan home, and worked on his father's farm.
At the age of 21 he hired to his father to work on the farm for five
months, after which he prepared himself for teaching, by attending the
Monroe high school, where he prepared for college; in the fall of 1868,
he entered the Michigan State University. After completing a
course of study there he assumed charge of various schools in the East,
after which he returned to Michigan and assumed the principalship of
the Spring Arbor Seminary, opening the school May 5, 1873. Here
he continued until 1875, and then retired for one year, devoting his
time to religious work until the spring of 1877, when, by request, he
returned and assumed full control of the school in all its departments.
Charles Fumer KING was born July 7, 1846; he married
Miss Frank C., Sept. 3,1873, of Albion, this State, daughter of
Lafayette and Casline Silliman, from New England and New York; they
have 3 children—Herbert Charles, born Feb. 28, 1876; Floss Caroline,
born July 2, 1877, and Fadge Harriet, born June 13, 1880. They
now live on his farm three miles south of Parma, part of which was the
old homestead taken up in an early day by his father, Furner King, who
died Dec. 17, 1880, in his 64th year. His second wife, Nancy, nee Perry, the mother of the
subject of this sketch, died Sept. 27, 1874. For a young man Mr.
King has a splendid start in life, a good farm and home. P. O.,
Theodore A. KING, with his father and mother, Fenner
and Eliza (Godfry) King, came to Spring Arbor from the State of New
York, in the spring of 1837, and settled on section 7. Fenner
King was born in Connecticut, April 17, 1807; he was married in New
York State, March 28, 1832; his wife was born Dec. 4, 1814. They
had 1 son older than Theodore—Fayette, born March 4, 1833, who died in
his 36th year; a younger brother, James Henry, born Oct. 13, 1836, was
scalded soon after his mother's death, which occurred on Nov. 2,
1838. Theodore's father married a second wife, Nancy Perry.
Theodore A. King and Delia M. Chapel were married April 7, 1850.
Their eldest son, Fenner D., died March 11, 1864, aged 5 years, 1 month
and 13 days. They have 3 children living: Royal H., Eva
Delia, and Theodore Ray, who is just nine years of age. Jessie
and Josie, twins, were born Dec. 21, 1874, and died in infancy.
Mrs. King is the second daughter of David and Sarah Chapel, old and
esteemed residents of Spring Arbor. Mr. and Mrs. King, with their
3 children in their beautiful home, with fine educational advantages
given their children, are but typical of the many farm homes of Central
Michigan, where can be found that elegance and refinement so often seen
here. Mr. King has several hundred acres of fine wheat land
bordering on Burr Oak Plain, equaling for beauty and production any of
the farms of the West. He is a Republican and has filled many
places of trust and responsibility. P. O. address, Parma.
Charles MATTICE was born Aug. 19, 1830, in Schoharie
County, N. Y.; came to Michigan in 1846; was married to Mary A. Wilcox,
Nov. 29, 1853, in Otsego County, N. Y., daughter of Asa and Achsah
(Mateson) Wilcox, natives of Vermont, who came to this county in 1836
and settled in Concord, on what is known as the Jerry Reynolds' farm,
with their father, Samuel Wilcox; the latter came some years previous,
and died in 1861, aged 84 years; Asa Wilcox died in 1863, in his 66th
year; his wife is living with the subject of this sketch, in her 75th
year; her 2 sons, Eben and Spencer, are deceased; the elder died Dec.
23, 1875; the younger, Dec. 31,1862. Mr. and Mrs. Mattice have 1
son living— Edson, born Aug. 9, 1863. Mr. Mattice is one of the
Board of Directors of the Seminary, and has done much to further its
interests since its organization.
Rev. Commodore Perry MILLER was born in Chautauqua
County, N. Y., April 18, 1843; in 1850 came to Genesee County, Mich.,
with his parents, Harvey and Esther A. (Slade) Miller; in 1864 he went
to Illinois; Sept. 5, 1865, he married Maria P. Jones, third daughter
of Alexander and Albine Jones, Massachusetts; commenced in the ministry
in 1867; in 1869 joined the Free Methodist Conference, and traveled
three years; worked in Kansas, and was on several circuits in Illinois
about seven years; came to Spring Arbor for the purpose of educating
his children; they have had 7: Inez May, born Sept. 19, 1866, died Dec.
26, the same year; Eugene M., born Oct. 15, 1867; Frank H., born Sept.
19, 1869; Albert Berry, Aug. 2, 1871; Clara Lovina, March 1, 1875;
Marcia Belle, Feb. 20, 1877; and Chester P., March 22, 1880. Mr.
Miller came to Spring Arbor and bought a tract of land just north of
the seminary, and laid it out in lots; originated a plat of the
village, and has sold nearly all of his addition, having made many
improvements the last year. He is now building a residence for
himself and several for others.
Amasa M. PARDEE was born in Royal, Niagara Co., N.
Y., Dec. 30, 1826; came to Michigan with his parents, Thomas Jefferson
and Eleanor (Angel) Pardee, in June, 1832, and settled on section 27,
not far from his pleasant home on section 28. Feb. 19, 1850,
Amasa married Miss Julia La Due, of Albany, N. Y.; they have 3
children—Alice F., now Mrs. St. Clair Bean, Jr., of Spring Arbor; Helen
A., now Mrs. J. C. Knapp, Milbank, D. T., and Fenton J., born July 31,
1858. As Mr. Pardee came to Spring Arbor in June,
1832, he is probably the oldest resident in the town who came from
other States, many of the oldest settlers that came in that year and
the year before having passed away in the last few years. Mr.
Pardee has held many places of trust in the town; is a staunch
Republican, a member, with his family, of the M. E. Church of Spring
Arbor, of which he has been Recording Steward for many years. P.
O., Spring Arbor.
Cyrus PARMETER was born Dec. 14, 1797; was married
Dec. 14, 1824, to Lany Widrick, born Nov. 24, 1804; their 4 children
are living: Mary, now Mrs. Filo Curtis, of Jackson; Cary, Orlin and
Albert, live on the old farm where the parents lived so many
years. Mr. Parmeter died Dec. 27, 1880, aged over 83 years.
His father, Jesse L. Parmeter, came to Michigan in a very early day,
and struck the first blow in a blacksmith shop in Spring Arbor; the
shop stood by the big spring on section 28. The family came from
Vermont to Herkimer County, N. Y., and was among the first to settle in
the south part of Spring Arbor.
Lewis M. PERKINS was born in Cato, Cayuga Co., N.
Y., Sept. 20, 1816; he came to Michigan in 1836; traveled through the
central part; passed on to the West; returning, he settled first on the
county line in Henrietta, where, March 19, 1846, he married Catherine
E. Pulver, born Oct. 22, 1820; they have 2 sons—Francis L., born Jan.
13, 1848, and Joseph E., Nov. 17, 1857. Mr. Perkin's grandfather,
Joseph Perkins, of New York, enlisted when 16 years old in Washington's
army as one of his body guards; he and his brother James went through
the whole Revolutionary war. Simon Pulver, the father of Mrs.
Perkins, was born in Massachusetts; her mother, Sarah Strong, New
Hartford, Conn.; her mother's family name was Payne, and of English
origin. Mr. Perkins, as well as his father, was an old line Whig
until the formation of the Republican party; is always liberal in his
views, and believes the national debt of our country should be paid in
the money of our Government. He has been a great reader and has
taken a deep interest in the affairs of his country. Residence,
section 23, near Snyder's station. P. O., Spring Arbor.
John G. PERRINE was born in Lyons, Wayne Co., N. Y.,
Feb. 9, 1810; came to Michigan in November, 1831; went back to New York
and Aug. 22, 1834, he was married to Mary C. Tripp; returning, they
settled on a farm bought from the Government. Mr. Perrin has the
deed from Martin Van Buren for part of his farm on section 10.
Here he has lived and reared a family of intelligent children, as
follows: Ruth Ann, now Mrs. Seth Abbot, of Abbot's corners, Erie
County, N. Y.; Emma, Noah W. (deceased); Jennie; John H., residence
Jackson, and Delia. Noah W. died Feb. 12, 1879. Mr.
Perrine's parents, Henry and Esther (Gilbert) Perrine, died in
Sandstone. The family have been noted for their piety and
uprightness of life. Many will remember the Rev. Mr. Perrine of
this family who recently died at Albion College. The subject of
this sketch has always been foremost in every good work of advancement;
he was one of the first to vote the Abolition ticket; has been a
Methodist until a few years since, when he espoused the Advent doctrine
with his family, and they have been instrumental in building up a
church and society.
De Witt PRETTY was born Jan. 23,1832; came to
Detroit in 1834, where he has lived most of the time since. Dec.
3, 1857, he married Catherine Collins—daughter of William and Ann
(Martin) Collins, who were old settlers of Detroit. Mr. Pretty
came to Spring Arbor in the fall of 1876 with his family for the
purpose solely of educating his children, of whom he has 9—Emma E.,
Adelaide A., George D., Arthur E., Phoebe, Albert, Alice F., Frank E.
and Olney V. He engaged in mercantile business two or three
years, then purchased a farm one-half mile west of the village; has now
one of the best farms in Jackson County, buying additions and making
improvements, and spending fully $20,000. Mr. Pretty is one of
the Board of Trustees of the Spring Arbor Seminary and has always been
foremost in every good work to further the interest of the institution
and the Free Methodist Church of the place, under whose control the
school has been in a very flourishing condition for some years.
Cornelius ROBERTS was born in Seneca, Ontario
County, N. Y., Dec. 3, 1810; lived in New York, and at the age of 24
married Alvina York; they had 1 son, William Henry Harrison. Mrs.
Roberts died Aug. 26, 1836, in her 20th year. Mr. Roberts then
came to Michigan but went back and was married again, Feb. 26, to Mary
Chambers and the next spring, 1837, moved to Spring Arbor and settled
on the west quarter of section 8. In 1842 he moved to his present
homestead on section 17. Mr. and Mrs. Roberts had 3 children—Mary
A., Wilford, Millard Fillmore. Mr. K. lost his second wife Oct.
19, 1850; April 11, 1851, he married Abigail Welch, whose parents,
Nelson and Sarah (Olds) Welch, came to Michigan in 1834 and settled in
Leoni. His children by this wife are: Franklin J., Orlando, both
in Minnesota; Tremont, now in Dakota; Herbert G., P. O., Spring Arbor;
Cora; Irwin died Nov. 28, 1879, age 6 years and 2 days. Samuel
Roberts, father of Cornelius, and his wife, Huldah (Dewey) Roberts,
came to Jackson County and built the first house west of Jackson at
Sandstone, where they kept tavern for some time.
Stephen M. SEARS (deceased) was born Nov. 9, 1811,
in Sharon, Conn.; came to Michigan in 1832 and took up a large tract of
land on the Burr Oak plain, on sections 34 and 35. Dec. 12, 1839,
he married Miss Martha Hale, whose mother, Mrs. Abiel Tripp, came to
Hanover in 1832 and built the first house on section 4 in that
township. She was also a niece of Dea. Wm. Smith. Mr.
Sears' two sons still own and reside on the land he first entered: the
oldest, Charles A., was born Nov. 20, 1844; resides now on section 35,
P. O., Horton; the mother makes her home with this son; Newton H., who
has until quite recently been engaged in the mercantile business at
Horton, was born Oct. 19,1854, and married Jan. 13, 1876, Miss Eulalia
Wilson. He has recently built the finest residence on section 34
in the town. P. O., Horton, Mich. Stephen H. Sears died
Nov. 26, 1877. He left a large estate, accumulated by hard work
and good management; was always liberal to a fault, and no man had more
friends than he; always a Republican, and liberal in religious views.
Aman Massnea SHIPLEY was born in Spring Hill
Township, Fayette Co., Pa. Oct. 15,1806; lived there and married, April
5, 1827, Susan Saddler, born Nov. 6, 1805; they came to Knox County,
Ohio, in 1834. Their children are: the eldest, Minerva, born Oct.
14, 1828, now Mrs. Win. B. Wollison, Stanwood, Iowa; Worthington, born
Nov. 5, 1829, P; O., Howard, Ohio; Ann died, March 16, 1841, in her
10th year; Henry, born March 4,1834, died April 12, 1834; Ben Francis,
born June 29, 1836, P. O., Mt. Vernon, Ohio; Emma, who lives with her
father in Spring Arbor; Agnes D., now Mrs. Calvin Miller, of Odin,
Marion Co., Ill.; Eugene O, born Jan. 8, 1845, recently of Jackson,
this State; Almon D., born Aug. 9, 1847, Delaware, Ohio; Dr. R.
Sherman, born Oct., 26, 1852, Lindsey, Sandusky Co., Ohio. Mrs.
Shipley died in Ohio, Nov. 16, 1872, but was buried at Jackson.
Erbert O. SPRATT was born in Concord, Jackson Co.,
Feb. 5, 1856. His father, Gardner D. Spratt, came fromWashington
County, Vt., to this county in 1835; March 12, 1851, he married Jane M.
Morrell, daughter of one of the old settlers of Jackson County; he died
April 7, 1856, in the 31st year of his age. Mrs. Spratt has since
remained a widow. Erbert married July 3, 1879, Miss Julia O.
Bright, who was born in Spring Arbor April 10, 1856; they have one of
the first settled farms in the town, on section 20, known as the
Benedict place; it is situated just north of the Air Line R. R. about a
mile west and south of the college buildings. P.O. address,
Alfred F. STREETER was born May 30: 1805; his
parents were from Vermont. He was married Mar. 13, 1827, at
Batavia, N. Y., to Samantha Walton, who was born July 18, 1810.
Their children are—Mortimer M., born Sept. 30, 1830; Alzina F., born
Dec. 22, 1832; Charles B„ born Mar. 11,1839; James W., born Sept. 18,
1844; Alfred F., born Sept. 13, 1846; Caroline, born June 10,1848; the
4 last were born on the farm four miles west of Jackson, where the
family settled in 1835. Mr. Streeter died May 25, 1864; the widow
lives on the farm of 200 acres, now over 70 years of age.
William TODD, Vice-President of the Pioneer Society,
was born Dec. 9, 1807, in Jefferson N. Y.; came to Washtenaw County,
Mich., in 1832, and to Spring Arbor in 1836. He married
Sept. 6, 1835, Marietta French, who was born in Ontario County,
N. Y., July 13, 1817, and came to Ann Arbor in May, 1833, with her
parents, Cyrus and Hannah French. Her father died June 6,1856,
aged 68 years; her mother died Aug. 22,1855, in her 58th year; they
were buried in Spring Arbor cemetery. Mr. Todd descended from New
England stock; Mrs. Todd dates her ancestors in Scotland. Their
children are—Lewis R., born June 28, 1836, now on the old homestead,
section 20; Harriet M., born Aug. 16, 1839, now Mrs. George W. Chapel,
P. O., Parma; Charles W, born Sept. 1, 1842, residence, Jackson; Rufina
U., born Sept. 11, 1845, now Mrs. Edwin Hotchkin, Jackson. Mr.
Todd has several hundred acres of splendid land, lying just west of
Spring Arbor village, section 20.
William H. TURPENING, of Schoharie County, N. Y.,
came to Michigan in 1861; June 18, 1863, he married Sarah Maria Snyder,
oldest daughter of Lewis Snyder, an old settler of Spring Arbor, and
pioneers of Jackson County remember his genial ways, and hospitable
home on section 23, the first brick house in this part of the
country. Mrs. Turpening's parents gave part of the old homestead
to her. Their children are—Lester Lewis, born Aug. 13,1865; Cad
Eliza, born Aug. 15,1866; George E., born Dec. 26,1868; Pearlie Ellie,
born Feb. 21, 1871; Victor Albert, born April 25, 1879; little Pearlie
died Nov. 21,1879, a pearl of great price. Mr. Turpening went to
Colorado in 1880, engaged in mining for some time, but is now on the
Santa Fe R. R., in New Mexico. Mrs. Turpening has charge of
Snyder's station, which was named after her father for the interest and
liberality he manifested in having the Air Line run on this
route. The station is becoming of considerable importance as a
shipping point, as this is the only shipping station in the
township. Mr. Snyder has lived in Hanover for some years.
Mr. Turpening purposes to remain in the West, mining and railroading,
until he gets what he went for—wealth.
John WEAVER was born Feb. 22, 1812, in Tompkins
County, N. Y.; was married to Esther N. Hollister, Dec. 28,1837; she
was born in Livingston County, N. Y., March 30, 1818; their children
are Eliza E., born Feb. 7, 1843, now Mrs. Geo. S. Dart, of Spring
Arbor; they have 1 son, John W. Dart, only grandson of John and Esther
(Hollister) Weaver; Sarah Ann, born Dec. 30, 1849, died July 17,
1865. Mr. Weaver died May 12, 1875. His father and mother
came to Michigan in 1843, and settled on section 28. Mrs. Weaver
lives with the daughter, Mrs. Dart, surrounded by old neighbors and
James WORTH was born March 9, 1805, in Warren
County, N.Y.; came to Michigan in 1837 and settled on section 28, where
he now lives. March 2, 1842, he married Ruth R. Knapp, who was
born Dec. 15, 1816; her parents, Ezekiel and Temperance (Wilder) Knapp,
came to Michigan from the New England States in an early day and
settled in Spring Arbor, on section 20. Mr. and Mrs. Worth have
had 7 children—Hannah Maria, now Mrs. J. M. Chamberlain; James Chauncy,
born June 7, 1847; Temperance A., born Sept. 16, 1848, and died Jan.
13, 1854; William Augustus, born Oct. 8, 1850; Amasa DeWight, April
27,1856, died March 5,1876; Albert and Alfred (twins), born July 10,
1860. Mr. Worth is now in his 77th year, retaining his vigor
remarkably well, lives on his beautiful farm on sections 27 and 28; P.
O., Horton. His father, Wm. Worth, came to Michigan in 1831, one
of the first settlers, and he came from New Jersey to New York, Seneca
County, in 1821.