Waterloo Township
History

Line Divider


Waterloo Postmark May 16, 1907
The Waterloo, MI Post Office operated from July 24, 1837 to March 31, 1925; with mail service to Munith.
Contributed by Paul Petosky

From "The History of Jackson County, Michigan" 1881

  The township was first organized by the name of East Portage in March, 1836, and was changed to its present name in the winter of 1846-7, through the influence of Patrick Hubbard.  The first election was held at the residence of Jeremiah Riggs, when 14 voters appeared to deposit their ballots.  Andrew Correll (probably) was chosen the first supervisor, and Earl Pierce the first town clerk.
  Hiram Putnam was the first white settler in this township.  He took up his residence in 1834, on section 1.  He was immediately followed by his two brothers (all three being single men), Joseph and Guy.  Abram Croman, Sr., came next, in the spring of 1835, with his family.  During this season three other families also came in—Patrick Hubbard, Earl Pierce and Andrew Correll.  In 1836 quite a number of families came, among whom were William Hall, A. Scidmore, Isaac Smith,Casper Artz, Slocum Sayles, Charles F. Graber, Michael Reithmiller, Jacob Hudler, William Paddock, Solomon and Erastus Nichols, Abram McMelon, Jeremiah Riggs, Leonard Van Horne, John Schneckenberger, Gilbert H. States, Jacob Harr, Jacob Boyer, John, Jacob and Martin, Jr., Landis and their father.  During the next year or two came Lamech Sweet, David Williams, Jackson Simpson, Harmon Marsh, A. T. and Samuel Gorton, Anson Opdyke, Reuben Croman, Garrett and Jacob Brink, George Ingalls, James Osgood and Felix Hess.
  The first saw-mill was built by Patrick Hubbard in 1836, and with this he sawed lumber with which to build a cheap grist-mill in 1838.  Waterloo village contains a store, postoffice, wagon-shop, blacksmith shop, school-house, two churches (Methodist and Baptist, the former being very fine), and several fine dwellings.  There is another small hamlet in this town, at which is situated a gristmill, a store, etc.  There are three other churches in the township, the United Brethren, Lutheran and German Methodist.
  There are 10 school-houses, all in good repair, in this township, and a good interest is taken in the schools.  A house for school purposes was built in 1837 at the present village of Waterloo, in which Miss Margaret Paddock taught the first school.  The German Lutheran church, three miles southwest of Waterloo village, was built in 1840, in which Elder Fred Schmidt, from Ann Arbor, preached the first sermon.  He also preached in the summer of 1836 the first sermon in the township, at the residence of Abram Croman, Sr., also the funeral sermon of Martin Landis, Sr.,in November, 1839.  This was death's first victim in the township.  Elder Hovey (Methodist) was the first local minister in the town.    He preached then at the residence of Patrick Hubbard.  The first marriage was Lathrop Hubbard to Miss Christina Croman, in the winter of 1837-'8; Frederick, son of Jacob Landis, was the first white child born in the township, in the fall of 1836; the first postoffice was at Waterloo, in 1838, P. Hubbard being the first postmaster; the first militia company organized at Waterloo was in 1836, Abram McMelon being chosen captain.
  Mr. Archenbronn left Germany in 1836, and after 52 days' travel arrived at Ann Arbor.  There he halted one day, when he moved to Scio in the same county, staying there three weeks.  Subsequently he moved to Waterloo, and dwelt in Mr. Croman's log house, one mile east of his present location.  On arriving in the township he found the brothers Reithmiller with their parents, and the Horr family preceding him in the settlement.  John Barber and his family were also in the township.  Mr. Barber died Nov. 3, 1880, over 80 years of age, 44 of which were whiled away in this county.
In 1843 the  cold  winter  caused  immense trouble  among the settlers.  The cattle died,  and even the deer were  found frozen.  The swamp grass and fallen leaves caught fire in the  fall of that year, and threatened the houses of the settlers with ruin; however, they fought the fiery element and saved their property.
  In 1837 the Indians were driven away; but before their dispersal, eight or nine warriors were accustomed to gather round the fire, and make merry at the expense of the family convenience.  A large German pipe which hung on the wall attracted their attention during one visit.  They took the pipe, filled it with '' Kinakinct," struck a light, and having passed it round the circle, left in peace, never to return.
In August, 1860, the water in the marsh rose three feet, and threatened an inundation; but the flood suddenly subsided.
In 1874 a destructive fire broke out in the swamp lands, and so terrible and rapid was its advance, that over 100 men had to go forth to battle with it.  Their efforts succeeded in saving the homes of many settlers.
Mr. Archenbronn is happy in his American home, and loves the State of his adoption.

WATERLOO IN 1846

  Mr. Peter Knauff, Vice-President of Jackson County Pioneer Society, for Waterloo Township, settled near his present location in the spring of 1846.  The brown bear, deer, and wolf roamed over the township at that time;  it was a wilderness in reality.
In 1847 Mr. Knauff remembers seeing 40 settlers entering the township, and the same year 40 log cabins, dotting the country within a radius of three miles.  Since that time Amasa Quigley and his father built a grist-mill, and Uptack erected the Laubengier mill in 1852, a year before Quigley's enterprise was completed.  In 1846 there were no less than five saw-mills in the town, the first of which was erected by Patrick Hubbard.  Old Mr. Ruchley erected a cider-mill in 1866, which is now operated by his son, Jacob Ruchley.
The great marsh which forms the head waters of Grand river, is in the township., and occupies a thousand acres of land, which, if drained, could be brought under high cultivation.
  The village of Waterloo is the nucleus of what is destined to be an important town.  Its growth has been slow, but sure; its inhabitants in possession of enterprise, and its surroundings prosperous.  The soil of the township is well calculated for general farming.  The timber is fair and the lakes and marshes are numerous, the latter affording good meadows.  The township is situated in the northeast corner of the county, and is eight by six miles square.  It has a large, industrious and enterprising population.  The inhabitants are mainly from New England, New York, Pennsylvania, Germany, England, Ireland, etc.

BIOGRAPHICAL

  We continue the history of Waterloo Township with brief personal mention of many of the representative citizens, living and dead, who have acted well their parts in the drama of life, and assisted in the advancement of education, and a higher form of civilization in this important division of Jackson county:

Cyril ADAMS, farmer, section 7, was born in Sterling, Windham Co., Conn., July 22, 1812, son of Paul and Lydia Adams, nee Derphy.  His father died when Cyril was five years of age, and his mother in September, 1848, in Connecticut.  His education was in the common schools, and at nine years of age his mother bound him out to learn the cabinet-maker's trade, which he followed until he was 16 years of age; he then took up the carpenter and joiner's trade, which he followed in Connecticut until 1833; moved to Michigan and located in Dexter, Washtenaw Co., Mich., where he followed his trade till 1841; then came to Jackson County and located a farm in Waterloo Township on section 7, consisting of 80 acres of land, which he bought for 20 shillings per acre; began to clear his farm, and worked at his trade occasionally.  He was married May 13, 1835, to Frances E. Northam, born in Massachusetts Feb. 27, 1816, and died March 27, 1838, leaving 1 child, Francis L., born Oct. 31, 1836, and died July 3, 1840.  He married for his second wife Sarah M. Lovejoy, born in Ontario County, N. Y., Jan. 24, 1822, and the daughter of Palmer and Dorotha Lovejoy, nee Davenport.  Her parents came to Washtenaw County, Mich., in 1835; her father died in April, 1841, and mother Oct. 23, 1856.  They had 12 children, 5 of whom are now living, viz.: Prescott C., born June 11, 1844; Viola C, Sept. 19, 1847; Gilbert D., Sept. 29, 1849; Zebina P., Feb. 5, 1860; and Estella L., Aug. 5, 1862.  The deceased were: Jane E., born April 17, 1841, died April 19, 1841; Albert A., born Feb. 20, 1846, died April 15, 1846; Ruth A., born May 25, 1852, died Aug. 30, 1854; Jay B., born July 14, 1856, died Oct. 23, 1869; Florence A., born May 1, 1854, died March 7, 1870; Ruby S., born Nov. 1, 1857, died Feb. 29, 1872; Achilles A., born April 5, 1844, died March 12, 1878.  Mr. Adams has continued farming on the same land he bought, and has added to it until he has 207 acres, which is well improved, with good barn, and all his own work.  He has lost his hearing in later years.  In politics he is a Democrat.  A portrait of Mr. Adams will be found on page 911.

John ARCHENBRONN was born April 24, 1814, and is the only child of John and Sophia (Keepengar) Archenbronn.  Mr. A. received a fair education at the Government schools in Germany.  He served an apprenticeship of three years in the cabinet-maker's business, and followed it for three years.  He remained with his parents until coming to America in 1836; he came to Waterloo, this county, the same year, and entered land on section 28, which was then wild; there were no roads at that time, and he was compelled to follow blazed trees.  He built a log house and improved the land, where his parents lived the balance of their lives, after which he sold out.  Was united in marriage to Eleanor Makel in 1844, by whom he has had 4 children, viz.: Catharine, born March 7, 1844, now Mrs. Jacob Rillie, of Waterloo; George J., Nov. 19, 1846; Albert A. A., April 24, 1853, now living with his parents; Chas. F., Jan. 13, 1856.  The first Mrs. A. died in Waterloo, Sept. 9, 1862.  He was again united in marriage Nov. 22, 1866, to Mrs. Magdalina Garlock, born in Germany, July 6, 1825; immediately after his marriage he removed to the site of his present home, where he has since resided.  Mr. and Mrs. A. are members of the German Lutheran Church. He is a successful farmer.

John A. BALDWIN, a prominent farmer and stock-raiser of Waterloo, was born in the State of New York, Feb. 19 1811; the second son of Abel and Fanny (Blanchard) Baldwin, natives of Vermont, and of English descent.  John A. received a limited education, his youth being spent in farming; emigrated to Michigan about 1836; entered 120 acres of land in Sylvan, Washtenaw Co.; returned to New York State, where he remained one year.  In September, 1839, he was married to Zelpha Talbot; they were the parents of 10 children, 7 of them are living—Abel, a resident of Waterloo, born Nov. 10,1840; Joseph T, born Aug. 20,1842, also a resident of Waterloo; Harriet Ann, born May 27, 1844, now wife of W. H. Showerman, of Waterloo; Hannah L., Dec. 13, 1846, now Mrs. Zopher Scidmore ;. Lovina, Jan. 12, 1849, wife of John Scidmore; Laura, May 23. 1855, the wife of George Baldwin, of St. Joseph County, Mich.; Sally M., Oct. 2. 1858, now residing with her parents.  After his marriage Mr. B. returned to Michigan, locating in Washtenaw County, where he resided until 1853.  He had previously purchased the premises where he now lives, consisting of 280 acres; about 30 acres were improved, and it is now under a high state of cultivation, with ample barns and a commodious brick residence erected in 1867.  Mrs. B. died April 28, 1866.  Jan. 1, 1868. Mr. B. married Mrs. Mary Dill, born in Ontario County, N. Y., in October, 1834.  Their 3 children are as follows—John J., born Nov. 25, 1867; Louis M., March 21, 1870, died Aug. 1, 1870; William H., born June 7, 1871.  Mr. and Mrs. B. are members of the United Brethren Church in Waterloo.  Mr. B. contributed liberally toward the erection of the new church edifice.  He has always declined public office, and is a prosperous and esteemed citizen.

Hiram N. BARBER was born in Madison County, N. Y., Aug. 12, 1835, and is the oldest son of John and Caroline (Benedict) Barber, of New York, Irish-English descent.  He came with his parents to Michigan in 1837, and located temporarily in Ann Arbor, the following year, came to what was then East Portage (now Waterloo), and entered the land where is now the family home.   Here Hiram was engaged in farming occupation and attended school for a brief time during his youth; he remained at home until 23 years of age, then worked for others for two years, until his marriage to Christina Frankel, born in Germany Aug. 11, 1861, by whom he has had 6 children, 3 now living—Hiram C, born Nov. 19, 1863; Martha Caroline, Dec. 9, 1872; and Benjamin M., Oct. 2, 1875.  Since his marriage he has resided on the old homestead, which he has improved, and erected a residence and barns; it is very nicely located.  He has held nearly all the township offices.  Mr. and Mrs. B. are members of the United Brethren Church at Waterloo.

John BAYER was born in Waterloo Sept. 3,1845, and is the second son of Jacob and Katherina (Speedel) Bayer, natives of Germany, who emigrated to America in 1831.  Jacob Bayer died July 28, 1877.  Mrs. Bayer is still living, a vigorous and intelligent old lady.  John was educated in the common schools, and has always been engaged in farming upon the old homestead.  He was married Aug. 24,1876, to Agatha Heselschwerdt, born in Germany Nov 25, 1850; they were the parents of 1 daughter—Matilda Elizabeth, born Nov. 16, 1879, and died July 25, 1880.  Mr. B. purchased the interest of the other heirs of his father's estate and is the owner of 200 acres of fertile land.  His mother relates many incidents of pioneer life; their first residence in Waterloo was in the log house of Caspar Artz, while their house was being built.  The nearest mill was 18 miles distant; wolves were plenty; they were frequently heard in the night.  Mrs. B. (formerly Mrs. Jacob Hayes) is the mother of 3 children.  Mr. and Mrs. B. are members of the Lutheran Church.

Thomas BOTT, farmer, section 9, was born in England Sept. 17, 1828, son of William and Anna Bott.  In 1830 his parents emigrated to Washtenaw County, where his father worked out by the day to feed and clothe his family; he afterward purchased a farm, consisting of 160 acres of land, on which he lived until his death in 1859.  Thomas received his education in the common district schools, and remained at home on the farm until 25 years of age; he then bought a farm of 80 acres in Jackson County, and in 1854 was married to Louisa Foster, daughter of Freeman and Nancy V. Foster, and they have had 5 children; 4 are now living, viz.: Edward J., Benjamin F., Norris J., Elizabeth H.; William is deceased.  Mr. B. now owns 188 acres of land on, which he lives and has improved, worth $45 an acre.  They are members of the United Brethren Church; in politics he is a Democrat.

Wesley BURCHARD was born in Albany County, N. Y., April 22, 1834, the second son of Lyman and Hannah (Frisbee) Burchard, natives of New York State and Connecticut respectively, and of New England ancestry.  Wesley received a very fair education, then followed clerking for some years.  Feb. 24, 1853, Mr. Burchard married Miss Eveline Pratt; they have 1 daughter—Ella C, born in New York State Sept. 18, 1856, now Mrs. H. T. Du Bois, of Grass Lake.  Mr. B. conducted a mercantile business in Livingstonville, Scoharie Co., N. Y., for about two years.  In 1857 he came to Michigan with his father-in-law, and located in Sylvan, Washtenaw Co., where they conducted an extensive and successful mercantile business for 12 years.  Mr. Burchard commenced business in Grass Lake in 1869 as a member of the firm of Branch & Burchard; after three years they dissolved, and he connected himself in business with Mr. Pratt four years; disposed of a certain interest in the business to Mr. Du Bois and O. F. A. Spinning; afterward purchased Mr. Spinning's interest; a new partnership was formed under the firm name of H. T. Du Bois & Co., which is a well-known house, doing a business of $45,000 to $50,000 the past year.  Messrs. Pratt & Burchard opened their banking house in Grass Lake in 1877.  It is an institution that was needed and is fully appreciated by the business public.  Mr. B. declines official positions, but was prompted by the interest he took in popular education to serve as member of the Board of Education.

Jacob CALL, farmer, section 7, was born in Columbia County, N. Y., Jan. 17, 1819, son of Christoper and Elizabeth (Simmons) Call; his father was a native of New Jersey, and mother of New York.  Jacob received his education in the common schools, and was brought up on a farm; was married Jan. 10, 1848, to Mary Ann Ford, born in Columbia County, N. Y., April 13, 1828, and daughter of Warren and Abigail (Pixley) Ford.  In 1855 he came to this county, and purchased a farm for $16 per acre, on which he lives.  He owns 120 acres, worth $50 per acre.  Mr. and Mrs. Call have had 6 children, viz.: Edgar W., Marion E., now Mrs. Wm. Moe; Charles H. and Dora A.  Mary E. and Franklin are deceased. They are members of the M. E. Church, and Republican in politics.

Abram CROMAN, farmer, section 10, was born in Luzerne County, Pa., Oct. 8, 1818, son of Abraham and Christina (Harp) Croman, natives of Pennsylvania.  His father was a shoemaker by trade; he also farmed to some extent in Pennsylvania; in 1825 he moved to Livingston County, N. Y., where he worked at his trade during the winter months, and on the farm in summer; in 1828 he moved to Washtenaw County, where he carried on his trade for two years.  He then sold out, and bought 80 acres of land; in 1835 he sold out again, and came to this county, where he purchased a farm of 200 acres.  His wife died in 1861, and   he  afterward  married  Mrs. Salome Croman, with whom he lived until his death, April 4,1866.  The subject of this sketch received sufficient education to enable him to do business; was raised on a farm and stayed at home with his father until he was 24 years of age.  In 1843 he was married to Susan Lincoln, born in Vermont,  Aug. 16,  1822, and was the daughter of Abiathar and Louisa Lincoln, nee  Castle, natives of New Hampshire; came to Michigan in 1828, where they resided until their death.  His first farm was near the village of Waterloo, and consisted of 80 acres of land, which he bought on credit;  he paid his debt,  then sold out and  moved into Waterloo village, where he engaged in the mercantile business two years; then traded his store and goods for a farm in Washtenaw County, and farmed two years; sold out and moved to Newaygo County, where he purchased 160 acres of land; broke up 23 acres; sold out in the  fall, making $300; purchased 40 acres of land  south of Waterloo village; sold that land in May, 1849; bought the farm he now owns, consisting of 100 acres of land, which he has under a fair state of cultivation, worth $50 per  acre.  Mr.  and Mrs.  C. have had 6 children; 5 are now living,  viz.:   Mary E.,   now  Mrs.   Lorenzo Dewey; Anson, David A., Ella A., now Mrs. E. Parks, send Clara R.; Henry is deceased.  Mr. C. is one among the old pioneers of Waterloo Township., generous in principle, and a Republican in politics.

George CROMAN was born May 12, 1822, in Northampton County, Pa., and is the third son of Abraham and Christina (Hart) Croman, natives of Pennsylvania, and of German  ancestry.  His  father served in the Revolutionary war, and was also an early pioneer of this county; he died Feb. 4, 1876.  Mr.  C. was brought up on a farm, and received a limited common-school education.  He came to Michigan, October, 1827, and located in  Ann Arbor; entered land in Scio Township, Washtenaw County, where he remained some six or seven years.  The family came to Waterloo, this county, in the summer of 1835, and purchased 200  acres of land, the site of their present home.  Mr. C. was  united in marriage Oct. 5, 1851, to Miss Delia Leek, daughter of Horace Leek, an early settler in Scio Township, Washtenaw County.  They are the parents of 4 children,   2 now living, viz.: Eddie A., born Nov. 24, 1857; and Charles A., born Sept. 7, 1866.  After marriage, he resided with his parents and took charge of the place, erected fine buildings and made other improvements.  When Mr. C.'s family came to Waterloo, the nearest neighbor on the north was four miles distant; Indians were numerous but peaceable; he would trade potatoes,  tobacco, etc., for deer meat and wild honey, with them.  He was active during the Rebellion in raising funds, and to get the quota of volunteers for Waterloo Township.  There was a draft finally made of about 20, of which Mr. C. was one; he furnished a substitute at an expense of $700.   He is the oldest living resident of Waterloo Township; was Tp. Treasurer one term.  Mrs. C. is a member of the Baptist Church.  Mr. C. has been an industrious man all his life.

Samuel E. DEWEY, farmer and stock-dealer; was born in Steuben County, N.Y., Oct. 19, 1834.   He was the second son of Solomon T. and Mary Ann (Shorey) Dewey, who were natives of New York State, and farmers by occupation.  His mother died in New York, April 22, 1836, and his father afterward married Mary Ann Blake, of the same State, born Oct. 27, 1805.  In 1844 they came to this county and located in Waterloo Township, where they resided until their death.  His father died July 16, 1863, and his step-mother, Aug. 20, 1875.  Samuel received his education in the common schools of New York, and was raised on a farm.  At 21 years of age he began for himself, by working out by the day and month one year; then farmed on shares a number of years; ran a threshing-machine during the fall months.  Jan. 1, 1864, he was married to Loretta A. Field, born in Orleans County, N. Y., Nov. 12, 1844, and was the daughter of Chester and Martha Field, who came to this county in 1855, and now reside in Ingham county.  In 1863 Mr. Dewey bought his present farm, consisting of 126 acres of land, which he has under a good state of improvement; it is worth $40 per acre.  Mr. and Mrs. D. have had 7 children, of whom 4 are living—Faye, born July 13,1866; Edna, April 22, 1868; Anna, May 25, 1870, and Samuel S., Nov. 5, 1878.  The deceased were: Edna B., born Nov. 10, 1864, and died Aug. 26, 1866; Katie B., born March 3, 1875, and died May 14, 1876; 1 died in infancy, born May 5, 1872, and died May 7, 1872.  He has been for a number of years engaged in the sheep and stock trade with A. McCloy; has held the office of Drain Commissioner and at present holds the office of Justice of the Peace.  Politically he is a Democrat.

Daniel T. EMMONS was born April 9,1820, in Burlington County, N. J., and is the eldest son of Michael and Jane (Tilton) Emmons, natives of New Jersey, and of English descent.  He was reared on a farm and received a fair education in the common schools; his father died while Daniel was young, which compelled him to seek a living elsewhere.  He worked a farm on shares for six years in his native State; he then came to Michigan in the spring of 1852, and located on the site of his present home, which was the home of Abram Croman.  Mr. E. has improved the farm by erecting a handsome residence in 1866.  He was united in marriage Sept. 12, 1852, to Miss Abigail Croman, daughter of Abram Croman, an early settler of Waterloo Township.  They are the parents of 3 children, 1 of whom is living—George W., born May 6, 1863, now attending school in Waterloo.  About 1863 Mr. E. was elected Justice of the peace, but declined the office.  Mr. and Mrs. E. are worthy members of the Baptist Church.  He is self-made, has been a hardworking, industrious man all his life, and is a highly respected citizen of his community.

Peter FINCH was born Feb. 15,1815, in Columbia county, N. Y. and is the oldest son of Robert and Maria (Brazel) Finch, natives of New York, of English-French descent.  He was brought up on a farm, and educated in the common schools; was united in marriage Sept. 20, 1835, to Miss Mary Showerman, born in Wayne County, June 5, 1815.  They are the parents of 5 children, viz.: Adeline, born June 18, 1837, died Dec. 5, 1876; Reuben E., born Sept. 9, 1838, now a resident of Pinckney. Mich.; Caroline, born March 23, 1844, now Mrs. Edward Riggs, of Dexter; Delevan, born March 31, 1846, a farmer in Waterloo Township; Mary E., born April 25, 1852, now Mrs. Eugene Quigley, of Ohio.  Mr. F. came to this State immediately after marriage in 1835; he resided in Washtenaw County about three years, then removed to Clinton, and entered 160 acres of wild land, built a house and made many improvements; he remained there four or five years, sold out and removed to Waterloo in 1843, where he purchased the site of his present farm, a portion of the farm lying inside the limits of the village.  He has held several minor township offices.  Mr. and Mrs. F. are worthy members of the United Brethren Church.  He contributed liberally toward the erection of the new edifice recently built by that denomination, and is a very popular gentleman. He owns 187 acres of land.

H. E. FRANCISCO was born in Tompkins County, N. Y., Jan. 6, 1837; is the second son of Benjamin and Rachel Jane (Earls) Francisco, natives of Vermont, and of French-German origin.  His early education was rather limited.  He came to Michigan with his parents in the fall of 1848; they located in Barry County, where Henry E. remained until 17 years of age; he then came to Grass Lake, where he was employed at farming summers and going to school winters.  At the age of 20, he entered the Kalamazoo Baptist Institute, where he remained a student three years; also attended the Kalamazoo Commercial Institute one year, thus acquiring an education quite liberal and comprehensive; was engaged in the ambrotype business at Hastings, Mich., in which occupation he cleared in one year $1,000.  April 3,1861, he married Frances A. Babbitt, born in Niagara county, N. Y., Aug. 12, 1834.  Mr. and Mrs. F. had 1 daughter—Ida May, born Jan. 13,1862, and died Dec. 28, the same year.  After his marriage, Mr. Francisco located in Grass Lake, east of the village, where he resided until 1876; with Mrs. F.  He traveled extensively, visiting among other places San Francisco, Los Angeles, stopped at Salt Lake City, Denver, and other points of interest; was absent six months.  On his return he purchased a farm of 200 acres, the site of his present home, nearly four miles south of Grass Lake village, where he is very pleasantly situated.  Mrs. Francisco is the daughter of Levi Babbitt, a pioneer of Grass Lake, and the granddaughter of a Revolutionary soldier, Winchester by name.  Levi Babbitt died Oct. 20, 1860.  Mrs. Francisco has many interesting recollections of pioneer life; she remembers vividly  the attack  made  by a hungry bear upon the family of their nearest neighbor, and of her father having been hastily summoned to the scene.  The bear upon his exit from the house, was dispatched by the unerring ball from the rifle in her father's hands.  She was formerly a member of the M. E.Church; since 1877 she has been identified with the Seventh-Day Advent Church.

John FREIEMUTH was born June, 1817, in Baden, Germany; his parents were Jacob and Louisa (Kirchner) Freiemuth.  He was reared on a farm, and received a fair education in the Government schools; he remained at home until 21 years of age, then worked for numerous persons at farming.  Mr. F. came to this country in 1845, direct to Waterloo.  He taught school one winter after his arrival, and followed farming during the summer.  May 16, 1847, he was married to Barbara Schrah, born in Germany Jan. 18,1826, daughter of George Schrah, an early settler of Waterloo.  They are the parents of 9 children, of whom 6 are now living, namely: Louisa, born Dec. 20, 1851; Mary E., Dec. 14, 1854; George, Oct. 31, 1856; Anna C, Aug. 21, 1859; John, Feb. 7, 1866, and Clara B., May 17, 1870.  The year of his marriage he purchased his present place, then wild land; he has since erected a comfortable building, in 1858.  Mr. F. owns a farm of 220 acres.

John F. GIBBONS was born Sept. 1, 1822, in Berkshire County, Mass., only son of Patrick and Pamelia (Sperry) Gibbins, the former a native of Ireland and the latter of Massachusetts, of Irish-Welsh descent.  He was reared on a farm and received a common-school education; he remained with his mother until coming West the fall of 1841, and purchased the site of his present home, but resided temporarily in Livingston County about one year, and returned East after his parent.  He returned overland through Pennsylvania and Ohio, taking them four weeks to come from Ontario County, N. Y.  A log house had been erected, trees girdled and some little improvements made; it was then a hard country, sparsely settled.  Mr. G. was quite a hunter and killed three bears during his early residence.  He was united in marriage Jan. 7,1848, to Miss Fidelia A. Lathrop, daughter of George C. and Mary E. Lathrop, who were among the early pioneers of Washtenaw County, having settled in Ann Arbor in 1828.  He has resided on the same premises ever since; he held the office of Supervisor in 1871.  He received an inheritance of $500, but through his own exertions has accumulated considerable property.  Mr. and Mrs. G. are members of the M. E. Church, in Waterloo.

Aaron F. GORTON was born Dec. 3, 1811, in Steuben County, N. Y., the youngest son of Rufus and Elizabeth (Towner) Gorton, natives of Connecticut, and of English ancestry.  Mr. G. attended the common school, received a fair education, and read law until 18 years of age, intending to fit himself for that profession.  After that time he commenced clerking for his brother, a merchant of Corning, N. Y., and followed this occupation until coming to Michigan in June, 1833, stopping temporarily at Dexter, Washtenaw Co., and the following year bought a place in London, Monroe Co., of 120 acres; entered the land wild, and got his logs ready to build a house.  He had paid out all his money, $150, on his land, and borrowed $32, to return to Corning, N. Y., to enter into matrimony with Miss Marietta Gardner, which event took place Sept. 30, 1835.  They were the parents of 1 daughter—Marion, born March 28, 1838, now Mrs. Frederick K. Snyder, of Lyndon, Washtenaw Co.  They came to Detroit by way of the lakes; were five days coming; had a rough time coming from Ypsilanti; went to the bottom of the mud, where hand-spikes were necessary; stayed in Monroe County three years; had a hard time, got in debt and was obliged to sell out; in the spring of 1838 returned to Washtenaw County and rented a farm one year; in the fall of the same year purchased the site of his present home, where a log house had been erected and seven acres of land partially cleared.  After his purchase at Waterloo, and before removing his family, Mrs. G. died, Nov. 21, 1838.  With his brother and family, he came to Waterloo in December of the same year.  He remained a widower three years. Dec. 2, 1841, he was married to Miss Mary Ann Paddock, born in Onondaga County, N. Y., in October, 1819, daughter of William Paddock, an early settler of Waterloo Township; they have had 6 children, of whom 5 are now living—Aaron P., born Dec. 19, 1842, enlisted March 20, in the Vol. Inf.; in August, 1862, participated in numerous skirmishes and the battle of Fredericksburg, and died in camp Jan. 13,1863; Henry, born Sept. 26, 1844, now living in Lyndon, Washtenaw Co.; George, born April 6. 1848, now a well-known resident of Waterloo; Orville, born June 20, 1850, now working his father's farm; Sarah E., born Jan. 1, 1855, wife of Moses N. Avery, of Ann Arbor; Lewis G., born Nov. 18,1859, a teacher in the high school in Detroit, and a graduate of the State Normal School of Ypsilanti.  Mr. G. was elected Township Clerk and School Inspector, during his first residence here; also Supervisor in 1842, one term; Justice of the Peace, four or five terms; Associate Judge about 1844, which office he filled until the law abolishing that office was passed; in later years, has declined all office; was President of the Eastern Jackson Farmer's Mutual Insurance Company.  Mr. and Mrs. G. are members of the United Brethren Church in Waterloo, and contributed liberally toward the erection of the new edifice.  His present residence was built about 1857.  He owns 280 acres of land.  On page 1075 of this work will be found a portrait of Mr. Gorton.

David GRIMES was born in Cortland County, N. Y., March 16, 1820, the second son of James and Mary T. (Whitney) Grimes, natives of Vermont and New York respectively, and of English origin.  David received but a limited education; the death of his mother, which occurred when he was 12 years old, threw him upon his own resources.  When 15 years of age, in 1835, he came to the then Territory of Michigan; worked by the month in Washtenaw County during the summers; went to school winters, acquiring such an education as fitted him for teaching, which profession he followed four summers.  He had bought a place in Lyndon about 1843, containing 80 acres; he married Jane S. Denton in January 1844; they have had 8 children, as follows: Daniel J., born Oct. 7, now of White Oak, Ingham  Co.;   Andrew D., April 26, a resident 6f Stockbridge, Ingham Co.; David S.,  Oct. 19, also a resident of White Oak; Caroline, M., Sept. 6, 1849, now Mrs. Nelson De Camp, of Bunker Hill; Samuel T., June 6, 1852, a school-teacher by profession, now residing with his parents; Anson D., Dec. 20, 185S, a resident ofWaterloo, married April 3, 1862, died Aug. 31, 1865.  Mr. G. resided in Lyndon about two years.  In the fall of 1846 he purchased a farm in Waterloo, upon which he lived some 20 years; this he improved, having cleared over 100 acres.  Mrs. Grimes died Sept. 8, 1865, and in August, 1866, Mr. G. married Mrs. Ruth Cadwell, born in Genesee County, N. Y., Dec. 25, 1870.  Mrs. Grimes, at the time of her marriage with Mr. G., was the mother of 3 children, viz.: Mary M., born Feb. 7,1847, died Aug. 31,1863; John A., Oct. 13, 1850, engaged in the hardware trade in Pinckney, Livingston Co., Mich.; Wm, H, March 20,1863,and died July 26,1865.  Immediately after, his marriage, Mr. Grimes removed to his present residence, which he has since occupied; it is a pleasant location with fine surroundings; has been the home of Mrs. Grimes since 1848.  Mr. and Mrs. G. are members of the first United Brethren Church in Waterloo.  He has been Tp. Clerk; also held other minor township offices.

Joseph HAWLEY, farmer, section 4, was born in Lancashire County, England, March 8, 1811, son of Emanuel and Margaret Hawley, nee Leece.  His father was born in Derbyshire County, and the mother in Lancashire; his father died when he was only four years of age, and his mother afterward married Robert Braithwaite, a native of Lancashire and a shoemaker by trade.  They removed to Westmoreland County, where he received his education and learned the shoemaker's trade of his step-father; then worked for his uncle eight years.  He was married in 1849 to Elizabeth Backhaus, born in Yorkshire County, England, June 25, 1814.  He then began business for himself, and after obtaining enough to make a start, he came to America and landed in Detroit; from Detroit he came to this county in 1843 and located on 40 acres of land near Waterloo village; remained there two years; sold out, and in 1845 moved upon his present farm of 189 acres of land in the woods, which he at once commenced to clear and improve.  They have had 5 children, 2 of whom are now living—Emanuel and Edwin R.— both of whom are married; 3—Mary, Joseph and an infant—are deceased.  Mrs. Hawley died March 24, 1879, and Mr. H. resides with his son, Emanuel, who carries on his farm.  His early life was one of toil and hardships; he now owns 389 acres of land in Jackson and Ingham counties, which is well improved and worth $75 per acre.  His home farm is one of the finest in Waterloo.  He is connected with the Episcopal Church, and a Republican in politics.

Gottlieb HEYDLAUFF, farmer, section 30, was born in Germany, Oct. 23, 1837; son of Andrew and Christina (Riethmiller) Heydlauff, natives of Germany; was raised on a farm; in 1857 emigrated to America and located in Montcalm County, Mich., where he worked on a farm four years; then entered 80 acres of State land which he began to improve; at the outbreak of the late war he enlisted in the 16th Mich. Inf. Vol. under Col. Stockton and served four years; was in 35 battles during the service; among the most prominent were Gettysburg, Wilderness, Petersburg, Five Forks, and the last Appomattox Court-House, when Gen. Lee surrendered his army to Gen. Grant, and was one of the flag-bearers who held the stars and stripes while the army passed under and stacked their arms; he was discharged July 10,1865.  He then came to Waterloo Township, where he bought 180 acres of land on which he lives; paid $2,900 for it; he now has it well improved, and it is worth $50 per acre.  He was married Jan. 14, 1866, to Catherine Moeckel, born in this township May 20,1843,and the daughter of George and Mary Moeckel.  Their family consists of 7 children—Clara K., Louisa M., Charlotte, H. Fricktor W., and Carl F.  They are members of the Lutheran Church, and politically is a Republican.

John HEYDLAUFF was born Feb. 27, 1835, in Herkimer County, N. Y.  He is the second son of Martin and Elizabeth Heydlauff; the former died Nov. 6,1868.  He came to this State with his parents in the spring of 1836, and located in Scio Township, Washtenaw County, where the family remained about five years.  In the spring of 1842, he came to Waterloo and entered 180 acres of land about one-half mile north of his present home.  He attended the common school in Waterloo and received a limited education; he afterward attended the German school at the Jacob Society until he was 21 years of age.  He learned the carpenter and joiner's trade, and followed that occupation for five years in Waterloo; he built many residences in that place, and elsewhere throughout the county; was united in marriage April 15, 1860, to Miss Christina Riethmiller, born in Germany in 1842, by whom he has had 7 children; 6 are now living, namely—Emanuel, born March 9, 1861; Paulina M., Aug. 23, 1862; Lydia C, Oct. 22, 1864; Sarah A, Nov. 23, 1868; Louis H., Sept. 2, 1871; Augustus, Aug. 3, 1873.  After marriage Mr. H. purchased a place in the vicinity of the old homestead on section 27, it being a portion of the old John Riethmiller place, containing an old log house and fair improvements.  Mr. Heydlauff has since made many improvements, built a very handsome residence and other buildings suitable for farming occupation.  He was Highway Commisssoner for five years; his success in life is due mostly to his own industry, receiving a small inheritance.  Mr. and Mrs. H. are members of the German Lutheran Church at Waterloo.

Nelson HOYT, farmer, section 19, was born in Oneida County, N. Y., Jan. 16, 1820, son of Keeler and Charity (Balsley) Hoyt; his father was a carpenter by trade and for some years carried on farming; He came West in 1853, and died in March, 1861.  Nelson was raised on a farm; at the age of nine years he began to learn the carpenter's trade, which he followed several years; in 1853, came to Michigan, and after a number of years turned his attention to farming.  He was married in 1846, to Betsy Barber, born in Oneida County, N. Y., in September, 1831.  They have had 7 children, of whom 4 are now living—Albine L., Peter B., Charles K., and Henry H; the deceased are William, Catharine and Seth.  In August, 1862, Mrs. H. died; in January, 1863, he married Mrs. Elizabeth Smith, born in Hector, Monroe Co., N.Y., Feb. 20, 1834; she was the daughter of Levi and Mary (Sprague) Hoyt, both dec; they have 1 child, Sebern Ulysses.  Mrs. H. had by her former marriage 1 son, Charles H.; her husband was in the war of 1861; and was shot in the neck at the battle of the Wilderness and died.  Mr. Hoyt owns 100 acres of land, which is worth $60 per acre. Politically he is a Republican, and the present Postmaster of Munich.

Hon. John H. HUBBARD was born June 27, 1828, in Seneca County, N. Y.  His parents were John L. and Sarah E. (Boothe) Hubbard, the former a native of New York, and the latter of Connecticut, both of English ancestry.  He received his primary education at Waterloo, N. Y., and afterward completed his education at the Genesee Wesleyan Seminary at Lima.  He remained on a farm with his parents until 22 years of age.  In the spring of 1850 he came to this State and located on the site of his present home (originally the Townsley homestead) of Patrick Hubbard, and sons, early settlers in Waterloo.  He erected a fine residence and other buildings previous to his marriage in 1857 to Miss Fannie E. Quigley, daughter of the late Samuel Quigley, an early settler in Napoleon Township.  They were the parents of 7 children— Louis F., born March 27,1859; Eunice A. born July 10, 1S62; Laura Belle, born Oct. 22, 1865; John L., born July 17, 1867; Burt E., born Feb. 8,1869; Henry W., born Aug. 14, 1871; Fanny May, born July 24, 1875.  Since marriage he has resided in Waterloo.  Mr. H. was Township Clerk and Supervisor for six terms, continuously, commencing in 1865.  He was also elected a member of the Legislature in the fall of 1872, and served.  Mr. H. was actively engaged in the erection of the M. E. church in 1872, of which Mrs. H. is a member.

W. C. HUTTENLOCHER, farmer, section 18, was born in Wittemburg, Germany, Nov. 7, 1831, son of John and Elizabeth Huttenlocher, nee Haneysan; they emigrated to America in 1848, and located in Rochester, New York.  His education was in the common schools of Germany; and at 14 years of age he learned the lock and gunsmith trade, which he followed many years.  In 1853 he was married to Christena Schnickenburger, born May 15, 1835.  Their family consisted of 5 children, viz.: William, John, Charles, Mary B. and Caroline.  July 14, 1877, he lost his wife, and for his second wife he married Mrs. Louisa Scharble, born in Washtenaw County, Oct. 20, 1842, and the daughter of Martin and Caroline (Beedhower) Scharble; she had 3 children by her former  marriage—Clara, Emma and Louisa.  Mr. H. owns 160 acres of land, worth $50 per acre.

J. C. KLEIN, farmer and agricultural dealer, was born in Erie County, N. Y., Oct. 10, 1841.  He was the son of Jacob and Magdalena Klein, who located in Erie County, N. Y., where his father carried on his trade of wagon-making; in 1863 they came to this county, and located on section 9, Waterloo Township, on a farm consisting of 204 acres of land, on which he lived until his death, May 9, 1876.  The subject of this sketch received his education in the common district schools of Erie County.  He learned the wagon-maker's trade with his father, which business he followed some years; came to Jackson County with his parents and helped carry on the farm until 1870; went to Stockbridge, Ingham Co., Mich., where for six years he carried on the agricultural business.  After his father's death, he moved back to the old homestead, on which he now resides, and owns 84 acres of the same.  He was married in 1866 to Sarah E. Willmore, born in Pennsylvania, and daughter of Thomas and Ellen Willmore.  They have had 5 children, 4 of whom are living, viz.: Aggie C, Archa L., Eva A. and Bessie E.; Minnie is deceased.  Mr. Klein keeps all kinds of agricultural implements.  His farm is worth $70 per acre.  Politically, he is a Republican.

Peter KNAUF, farmer, section 17, was born in Province Hesse-Cassel, Germany, July 29,1810, son of John L. and Margaret (Scheig) Knauf, natives of Germany, both of whom died there.  Peter received his education in Germany; was drafted and served five years in the regular army; was married in 1836, to Margaret T. Trost, who was born in 1816.  In 1837, emigrated to America and landed in Montreal, Canada; from there to Lewiston, N. Y., where he worked on a farm; in the spring of 1838 he came to Detroit, Mich.; worked on the water-power nearly a year; in 1839 came to Washtenaw County, where he engaged in railroading till 1846; in June of the same year moved upon his farm he had previously bought in Waterloo Township, consisting of 320 acres of land, and engaged in farming, which occupation he has continued ever since.  He now owns 400 acres of land, which is under a fair state of cultivation and worth $35 per acre.  In 1848 his wife died.  They had 6 children, 5 of whom are living.  He married for his second wife Mary F. Remaro, born in Prussia in 1830, and emigrated to America in 1835 with her parents.  They had 18 children, 13 of whom are living.  In 1866 Mr. K. lost his second wife.  His 2 daughters, Helena and Mary, are attending the University at Ann Arbor, preparatory to the practice of medicine.  He has held the office of Justice of the Peace 21 successive years, and after "becoming of age" concluded to resign.  In 1850 he was elected, and in 1851 appointed Notary Public, which office he held for a number of years, and in 1881 he was again appointed to the same office, which he now holds.  Mr. K. has been one of the leading men of Waterloo, and many cases were tried by him, and among the attorneys at large he was known as  "Dutch Peter."   He is a Democrat.

Daniel LANTIS was born May 7, 1823, in Berks County. Pa.  His parents were Martin and Catherine (Yutter) Lantis, of Pennsylvania; German descent.  He came with his parents to Michigan about 1836; he was brought up on a farm, and received a limited education in the common schools.  He remained at home until 22 years of age, then purchased a place one mile north of his present home.  Oct. 15, 1845, was united in marriage with Christiana A. Hoffman, born Sept, 17, 1826; they are the parents of 8 children, of whom 7 are now living, namely: Louisa, born Sept. 1, 1846, now Mrs. Lutz, of Waterloo; William F., July 30, 1848, now living in White Oak, this State; Alvina, Oct. 23, 1850, now Mrs. W. F. Riemenschneider, of Francisco; Edward, Dec. 29, 1853, also of White Oak; Mary A., April 23, 1857, now Mrs. Augustus Man-sing, of Sylvan, Washtenaw Co.; Henry B., Feb. 13, 1860, resides with his parents; Ida M., Dec. 2, 1862, now residing at home.  Mr. L. built a log house and improved the farm of 80 acres, where he continued to reside until the spring of 1868, when he sold out and purchased the old homestead from his father, where he has since lived.  He is a self-made man.  Mr. and Mrs. L. are members of the M. E. Church in Waterloo.

David LANTIS, farmer, section 32, was born in Syracuse, N. Y., Sept. 17, 1828; the child of Martin and Catharine Lantis, nee Yoter, natives of Pennsylvania; they moved to New York State, where they resided on a farm, and in 1844 came to this county, locating on a farm.  His mother died in 1869.  He received his education in the common schools, and his first teacher was Joseph Frisby.  He remained with his father until 27 years of age, then commenced farming for himself on a rented farm.  In 1855 he was married to Sarah Lantis, born in Pennsylvania in 1824; they have had 4 children-—Amelia, now Mrs. B. J. Lutz; Henry A. and Charles E.; Sarah is deceased. In 1858 Mr. L. bought the farm which his grandfather entered of the Government, consisting of 77 acres, which is well improved, and worth $60 per acre.  They are members of the German Methodist Church, and Mr. L. is a Republican.

Martin LANTIS was born Nov. 4, 1801, in Berks county, Pa.; his parents were Martin and Magdaline (Shanely) Lantis, natives of Pennsylvania, and of German descent.  He was brought up on a farm and received a fair education in the common school.  He remained at home until 21 years of age, then worked for others until his marriage, which occurred in 1821, to Miss Catharine Yoder, by whom he has had 6 children, of whom 4 are living, 1 daughter and 3 sons; 2 of the latter are well-known residents of Waterloo Township. The first Mrs. L. died Aug. 22,1858.  After marriage Mr. L. conducted a farm on shares for several years.  He removed to Seneca County, N. Y., in 1828, and remained there eight years; in the spring of 1836 he came to Michigan and located in Waterloo; he entered land on section 34, then wild, and built a log house  the site of the present home of Daniel Lantis, made improvements and occupied the original log house until the present residence was erected in 1858.  The latter part of 1859 he was married to Fredericka Sieberlich; after a married life of six years, Mrs. L. died, May 30, 1866.  Mr. L. was again married, to Mrs. Mary Laucs, Oct. 23, 1867, born in Germany in 1824.  He resided in Waterloo, on the old homestead, until the spring of 1867, when he sold out to his son Daniel, and purchased his present home in the village of Grass Lake, where he has since lived a retired life.  He has held one or two minor township offices.  Mr. and Mrs. L. are worthy members of the M. E. Church.

David LEEK, a well-known farmer of Waterloo Township, was born in New Haven, Conn., Jan. 26, 1827; the eldest son of Horace and Louisa (Goodyear) Leek, also natives of Connecticut, and of English descent.  The family emigrated to Michigan in 1828, and were among the pioneers of Scio, Washtenaw Co., where they remained 10 years.  David attended the common schools here and in Lyndon Township; after which he engaged in agricultural pursuits, and purchased the place where he now resides.  About 1853 he was married to Jane McCloy, and they have 7 children—Mary Jane, now Mrs. Frank Wolfer; Jeannette M., born Aug. 6, 1859, now Mrs. Spencer Howlett, of Lyndon; Delia, born in July, 1861, the wife of Frank McGuffie, of Waterloo; Henry A., born May 31, 1864; William A., Oct. 30, 1867; David A., April 11, 1871; and Horace S., April 25, 1873.  Mrs. Leek died May 31, 1873.  Mr. Leek is the owner of a productive farm with good improvements and farm buildings; he is now engaged in building a residence which promises to be a handsome and commodious structure.  March 23, 1879, he married Jane A. Orr, born in Buffalo, N. Y., in 1837; she is a member of the Seventh-day Advent Church.  Mr. L. owes his success in life solely to his own perseverance and industry, and is highly esteemed by all who know him.

F. D. MAXON, farmer, section 7, was born in Genesee County, March 22, 1823, son of John and Lydia (Sweet) Maxon, natives of New York.  His father was a soldier in the war of 1812, and died in March, 1864; mother died in 1861.  The subject of this sketch received his education in the common schools of New York, and was raised on a farm.  He came to Michigan in 1844; his first vote was cast in Spring Arbor Township the same year; moved to Waterloo Township in the fall, where he has resided since.  His farm consists of 147 acres of land, and is worth $50 per acre.  Politically he is a Republican.

Daniel McINTEE, farmer, section 30, was born in York, Ireland, April 20,1832, son of Owen and Mary (Cassady) Mclntee, natives of Ireland and both deceased.  His father came to Washtenaw County in 1837, where he carried on farming till his death, Dec. 31, 1879; he was 110 years old.  His mother died April 5, 1877, in her 75th year.  Daniel received his education in the common schools, and resided on a farm with his father.  In 1853 he came to Waterloo Township where he owns 200 acres of land, well improved and worth $60 per acre.  He was married May 17, 1858, to Catherine Geraghty, who was born in New York, April 5,1835.  She was the daughter of Thomas and Catherine Geraghty, nee Couners; they were natives of Ireland.  There are 7 children, viz.: Eugene, Ellen K., Mary T., William A., Anna S., Margaret A. and Maria.  They are members of the Roman Catholic Church and Mr. Mel. is a Democrat.

Abel McCLOY, farmer and stock dealer, was born in Washtenaw County, Aug. 30,1843, son of Joseph and Margaret McCloy, nee Mclntire, natives of Ireland; they emigrated to America in 1830, and located first in New York; in 1842 came to Washtenaw County, and in 1844 to this county, where they purchased the present farm, consisting of 280 acres of land, on which they lived until his father's death, Oct. 2, 1879; his mother died Aug. 28, 1868.  The subject of this sketch was educated in the district schools, and resided with his father on the farm.  He was married April 30, 1873, to Mary Henry, born in Muskingum County, Ohio, June 24, 1843, daughter of Alanson and Lavina Henry, nee Trout, natives of New York, and moved to Westmoreland county, Penn.; thence to this county in 1848.  Her father died Feb. 26, 1863, and her mother resides in Rives Township.  He owns his father's farm consisting of 280 acres of land, which is under a good state of cultivation and worth $40 per acre.  For 10 years he was traveling agent for Cowham & Schofleld, agricultural dealers in Jackson; at present is engaged in farming and dealing in stock.  His wife is a member of the M. E. Church.  Politically, he is a staunch Republican.

Philip McKERNAN was born in Northfield, Washtenaw Co., Mich., Jan. 31, 1837, only son of Philip and Ann (Amelia) McKernan, natives of Ireland.  He settled in Waterloo in 1835.  Mrs. McK., now Mrs. Wm. Quigley, is still living, and vigorous at the age of 64 years.  Mr. McK. was reared on a farm, and attended the Tamarack district school in Waterloo, receiving a fair education.  When 17 years of age he started West to Utah, and was among the early pioneers in the Northwestern Territories of Montana, Idaho and Washington.  He visited California, also made a trip to China and called at the Sandwich Islands, returning to California, and from there he came overland to Michigan in 1871.  He was united in marriage May 16, 1872, to Miss Frances Knauf, a daughter of Peter Knauf, an early settler in Waterloo; she was born Oct. 2,1849.   They are the parents of 4 children, of whom 3 are now living, viz.: Mary Frances, born June 13, 1873; Anna E., April 11, 1878, and Marcus Victor, Oct. 26, 1880.  After his marriage he settled on the old homestead, where he has since resided.  Mr. McK. is something of a literary student, and has a very fine library.  Mr. and Mrs. McK. are members of the Roman Catholic Church in Chelsea.

John L. MOORE, farmer, section 2, was born in Centre County, Penn., April 28, 1816, son of Andrew and Eleanor (Allison) Moore, natives of Pennsylvania; moved to Wayne County, Ohio, in 1820 and engaged in farming; in 1830 went to Seneca County, Ohio, where they died, father in 1848 and mother in 1880.  John received his education in the common schools of Seneca County, and remained with his father on the farm until 28 years of age.  He was married in 1847 to Clara Frisbie, born in Huron County, Ohio, Dec. 8, 1828, and was the daughter of Richard and Emma (Andrews) Frisbie.  He moved to Defiance County, and there farmed some 12 years; then traded his farm for land in this county.  He now owns 188 acres of land, on which he lives.  It is under a fair state of cultivation, and worth $30 per acre.  Their family consists of 3 children —Legrand B., Elma M., now Mrs. Edward Locher, and Franklin J.; Charles O. is deceased; one died in infancy.  In politics Mr. M. is a Democrat.

A. W. MOREY was born in Schoharie County, N. Y., Feb. 28, 1823, the eldest son of Jesse and Bertha (Vaughan) Morey, natives of the State of New York, the family of English origin; his parents removed to Livingston County, N. Y., in 1828, where A. W. was a pupil at the district school, until the removal of the family to Michigan.  They remained in Washtenaw County six years.  Here Mr. Morey completed his education.  In the spring of 1842 he located on the site of his present home, then wild land; he remained on the old homestead until the death of his father in 1847.  In connection with his brother, H. J., he purchased his father's estate and 120 acres adjoining, where he has since resided.  He was married Jan. 16, 1849, to Roxa Jane Robinson, born in Allegany County, N. Y., Dec. 12, 1824; she is the daughter of Elisha S. Robinson, a sketch of whose life may be found on another page.  Mr. and Mrs. Morey are the parents of 5 children, only 1 survives—Jessie E., born Oct. 10, 1866.  Mr. Morey experienced many changes in Michigan during his pioneer life.  He had on one occasion quite an experience with a deer which approached his house; the snow being deep, was readily captured.  On one occasion, with the assistance of David Grimes, he killed a bear which they treed; another one, with two cubs, escaped from the hunters.

James H. PALMER, farmer, section 11, was born in Washtenaw County, Mich., Jan. 5, 1851.  His parents, William and Charlotte (Pilch) Palmer, are both living in Jackson County.  James remained on the farm with his father until of age; received his education in the common district schools of Waterloo Township; attended two terms at the high school at Grass Lake.  At 27 years of age he was married to Nannie Clark, born July 21,1859; her parents, Sylvester and Carrie Clark, are residents of Washtenaw County.  Mr. and Mrs. Palmer have 1 child, Fay, born Nov. 14, 1879.  Mr. P. is the owner of 80 acres of land, on which he lives, worth $30 per acre.  He is a Democrat.

Nancy V. PRESTON was born in Pennsylvania Aug. 1, 1817, and was the daughter of John and Elizabeth (Willy) Lyons.  She was married first to Freeman Foster, who died leaving 1 child, Louisa.  In 1845 she married John Preston, who was born in Steuben County, N. Y., Sept. 5, 1818; they have 6 children, viz.: Frances L., now Mrs. Case, of Chicago; Harriet D., Edgar J. B., Hopeful F., Robert J. and Daniel A. L.  Mrs. P. now resides on the homestead, consisting of 34 acres of land on sec. 8.

Amzi A. QUIGLEY was born in Tompkins County, N. Y., June 25, 1825, and is the son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Hanna) Quigley, natives of Pennsylvania, and of Irish-Welsh extraction.  He came with his parents to Michigan in 1832; the family located in Napoleon, this county.  His father settled upon the site of the present village of Napoleon, and was the first Postmaster; was the builder of several mills in the county, including those at Brooklyn, Leoni, and the Jefferson Mills.  He was an extensive land owner, had held various township offices, and was a prominent man during his life-time; he died in 1860.  Amzi A. received an ordinary common-school education, remaining under the parental roof until his marriage, in 1848, with Miss Helen M. Crennell, born in Onondaga County, N. Y., in 1830; they have had 5 children; only 3 survive—E. Floraden, born Feb. 14, 1852; Alice Maud, Nov. 4, 1859; and Nancy Mabel, March 9, 1873.  Mr. Quigley was for several years engaged in farming, contracting and building; erected many of the finest edifices in Waterloo and vicinity; was Postmaster during Mr. Lincoln's administration, also Township Clerk; was elected Supervisor in 1857, which position he filled many terms.  In 1869 he disposed of his property in the village of Waterloo, and purchased the Hubbard estate, where he is pleasantly situated, leading a retired life, surrounded by all the evidences of prosperity.  Since reaching manhood he has developed a literary taste, and from constant and persevering study, has acquired a thorough knowledge of the sciences taught in the academies of learning, including trigonometry and surveying, the German language, with a fair knowledge of medicine.

Thomas J. QUIGLEY was born in Waterloo, Aug. 14, 1843, son of William and Ann (Mills) Quigley, natives of Ireland, and early settlers in this county; the former died in 1863.  Thomas J. attended school at the old "Tamarack school house," now known as No. 7; remained with his parents engaged in farming until his marriage with Miss Mary Marrinane, which event occurred Oct. 24, 1869.  Mrs. Quigley is the daughter of Dennis Marrinane, an old settler in Grass Lake Township, a sketch of whose life appears on another page of this history; she was born in 1843, and they have had 7 children; 5 of these are living, viz.: Mary Ann, born Sept. 3, 1878; Catherine C, Nov. 22, 1871; William J., May 9, 1875; John Clement, Nov. 23, 1876; Mercilla Elizabeth, Feb. 28, 1880.  Since his marriage Mr. Q. has resided on section 34, where he owns 200 acres of land, with comfortable and substantial buildings; is a successful farmer and stock-raiser.  Although not an office-seeker, he has been Constable for two years, School Inspector, and Township Clerk in 1869; at the same time was elected Justice of the Peace to fill a vacancy; the following spring was elected for the full  term; was again elected in 1874, his term of office expiring in 1878; has always been a warm friend of popular education.  Politically, he is a member of the Greenback organization.  Himself and family are members of the Roman Catholic Church.

William RANDOLPH, farmer and coal dealer, was born in Steuben County, N. Y., June 24, 1832, son of Horace and Olive (Smith) Randolph.  His parents were natives of New York State; father was born March 23, 1789; mother, Aug. 30, 1796.  His father was a farmer and moved to Washtenaw County, Mich., in 1835, and to Jackson County, in 1840, locating in Waterloo Township; he died May 11, 1847; his mother lived on the farm until 1851, then moved to Jackson where she resided several years.  William received a common-school education and was raised on a farm.  He endured many hardships in the early settlement of the township. After his father's death, he continued farming and bought out the other heirs; his mother came back and lived with him until her death.  In 1872, he was married to Addie A. French, born in Steuben County, N. Y., May 14, 1841, and died Oct. 17, 1875.  He now owns 160 acres of land on which he lives.  In 1870 he engaged in coal mining in the Porter mines; they sunk their shaft, and in 1871 had a supply of coal which in thickness and quality could not be excelled;. in the fall of 1873, he sold his interest, and in 1878, in connection with Z. C. Eldred and C. M. Noyes, began prospecting in the coal mines.  In 1879 they took in Daniel McGerry, of Cleveland, Ohio, who is business manager and president of the company.  Their capacity is 250 tons per day.  Mr. R. is a Republican.

John W. RICHARDSON, M. D., was born Feb. 4,1828, in Ashtabula County, O., and is the youngest son of Cheever and Electa (Winch) Richardson, natives of Vermont, of English-Welsh descent.  He removed with his parents to Pennsylvania early in life; there he attended the common school until 14 years of age; he spent most of his time until 20 in attaining an education.  At the age of 20 years, in July 4, 1848, he was united in marriage with Martha S. Ethridge, born in Edinboro, Penn., in 1833; they are the parents of Alfonzo D., born July 10, 1850, now a resident of Livingston County; Mary L., Sept. 25, 1854, now the wife of M. O. Walker, of Waterloo; William J., Sept. 15, 1856, now a resident of Toledo, O.  After his marriage he taught school four years, during which time he was also reading medicine and preparing himself for the practice of his profession.  He came to Michigan in 1855, and located in Rose, Oakland Co., where he commenced to practice, having spent several years with his Principal, Dr. David Freeman, of Vanangoboro, Crawford Co., Penn.  He remained in Rose one year and a half, thence to Holly, where he continued to practice, remaining there one year; thence to Stockbridge, Ingham Co., about 1858; after a short stay, came to Waterloo in 1859, where he has since practiced in Jackson and other places in the county; he also had charge of a mineral cure in Constantine. The Dr. attended two courses of medical lectures at the Bennett Medical College in 1869; he is a member of the Michigan State Medical Association.  The Dr. was appointed Assistant Surgeon of the 21s Mich. Vol. Inf., and served until the close of the war.  Mr. and Mrs. E. are worthy members of the U. B. Church, in Waterloo.

Elisha Sandford ROBINSON, was born in Saratoga County, N. Y., March 2, 1801, and is the second son of Peleg and Hepzibah (Coffin) Robinson, the former a native of Massachusetts and the latter of Maine, of English descent.  He was reared on a farm until 17 years of age and attended the common schools in Saratoga County, receiving a limited education.  He was apprenticed to learn the tanner and currier's trade, which he followed for a number of years combined with shoemaking and also that of harness-making.  He was united in marriage Dec. 14, 1823, to Mary Mendel, born in Saratoga County, Sept. 29, 1804; they are the parents of 6 children, viz.: Roxa Jane, born Dec. 12,1824, now Mrs. A. W. Morey, of Waterloo; John, Oct. 7, 1826, died in California, April 1, 1853; E. Sandford, Jan. 12, 1829, died Aug. 7, 1850; Mary D., Jan. 31, 1831, now Mrs. M. J. Dunbar, of Augusta, Kalamazoo Co.; Harriet M., Aug. 3, 1833, died April 10, 1859.  After his marriage he resided in New York until the spring of 1843, when he came to Michigan, locating upon the site of his present home, a portion of which he had entered up from the Government upon his first visit to this State, about 1836, and where he still resides.  With the exception of a log house and 20 acres partially cleared, it was wild land; he continued to occupy the old log house until building his present residence in 1861.  Mr. R. was elected Supervisor in 1846, and held the office for 13 years; after an intermission of two years, was again elected and held the office for four years. In 1850 he was a member of the Constitutional Convention; was Justice of the Peace some 12 years, commencing in 1857, and declined further re-election to that office; was Notary Public continuously since 1850, originally appointed by Governor Barry: also served several minor township offices.  Mr. R. is a self-made man, a genial old gentleman and esteemed by all who know him.

Michael RYAN, farmer, section 5, was born in the County Kilkenny, Ireland, Aug. 15, 1815, and was the son of Roger and Mary (Robinson) Ryan.  His father died in Ireland, and his mother in Mississippi.  At the age of 20 years he emigrated to America, landing in New York, where he engaged as a farm hand; in 1836 came to Michigan and bought 80 acres of State land; returned to New York and worked on a farm until he had earned money enough to pay for his land.  In 1841 he was married to Lora A. Merry, born March 19, 1818.  In 1842 they started for their new home in Michigan, and commenced to improve their farm, with nothing but an ax and grubbing hoe.  Many and long were the trials they endured while improving their farm.  Pork and flour were hard to obtain, and the prices were too high for their purse.  In 1843 he made one journey to Jackson on foot with 12 pounds of butter, for which he received six cents per pound, making in all 72 cents; made some purchases and had 50 cents left.  Early the next morning he started on foot for Ann Arbor, 30 miles distant, for a plow-point, which cost him his 50 cents.  The journey was made in one day, 60 miles in all, with nothing to eat from the time he started in the morning until he returned in the evening.  Mr. and Mrs. Ryan have raised a family of 7 children, viz.: Roxana, now Mrs. Casper Knauf; Andrew; Elizabeth E., now Mrs. Engene Haley; James S., John W., Robert H. and Mary Jane.  He struggled through to the years of plenty, and now is the owner of 222 acres of land on which he lives, worth $50 per acre; they are members of the Roman Catholic Church; Mr. R. is a Democrat.

H. F. SIEGFRIED, miller and merchant, Waterloo, was born in Lancaster County, Penn., Oct. 31, 1845; his parents were Stephen and Sarah (Landis) Siegfried, natives of Pennsylvania, German-French descent.  His father was a well-known resident and prominent merchant of Waterloo; also an active and prominent Mason and Odd Fellow.  He died Jan. 5,1876.  Mr. S. came to this State with his parents in 1853.  He attended the common schools in this county, after which he attended the Jackson Commercial College for two terms, where he completed his education.  He was salesman for Penny & King, of Jackson, for several years; he was also a commercial traveler for a house in Chicago for nearly two years; then returned to Waterloo and entered into partnership with his father in a general store, which continued until the death of his father, since which time he has conducted the business himself, consisting of dry-goods, groceries, drugs, boots and shoes, hats and caps, fancy goods, etc.  His trade has increased double what it was when he first commenced: the sales amount to $12,000 per annum.  He was appointed Postmaster in 1877, but had acted as such for several years previous.  He is highly prosperous, having purchased the large property including the store and adjoining dwelling.  Mr. S. was united in marriage Nov. 17, 1880, to Miss Elma H. Adams, born in Jackson County June, 1861, a graduate of the Kalamazoo Female Seminary.  Mr. and Mrs. S. are worthy members of the M. E. Church in Waterloo.

Clinton A. SKIDMORE was born Feb. 18, 1855, in Waterloo, Mich.; and is the only son of Amos and Sarah (Johnson) Skidmore, natives of New York, both of English descent.  Mr. S. Sr., born in 1821, was married to Sarah Johnson, March 10, 1846; he was one of the early settlers of Waterloo Township in 1837.  They were the parents of 2 children, viz.: Josephine E., born July 11, 1848, now Mrs. J. A. Collins, of Leslie, Ingham Co.; and the subject of this sketch.  Mr. Skidmore, Sr., died Aug. 24, 1858.  Mrs. S., now Mrs. Boyce, is still living and resides with her son; she was born May 9, 1830.  Mr. S., Jr., was brought upon a farm and attended the common school in Waterloo; he has always resided on the old homestead where he was born.  He was united in marriage, March 22, 1876, to Miss Emma A. Cain, daughter of J. L. Cain, a well known resident of Waterloo.  This union was blessed with 2 children, viz.: Elsie May, born June 5, 1878; Edith E., June 25, 1880.  He purchased the interest of his sister in the estate left by his father of 150 acres, with good improvements; he erected his residence in 1869.  Mr. and Mrs. S. are worthy members of the M. E. Church of North Waterloo.

John M. STROBEL was born Jan. 24, 1838, in Germany.  His parents were John O. and Christina (Hoeneise) Strobel.  He came to this country in 1845, and located in Waterloo, on the site of his present home.  Here Mr. S. attended the district school and received a fair education; was engaged in work for numerous persons in Grass Lake and elsewhere.  Was united in marriage April 22, 1866, to Anna Barbara Wackenhut, born in Germany, 1847; they are the parents of 7 children, of whom 4 are now living, namely: Mary M., born Dec. 10, 1866; Jacob F., May 6, 1868; Emma L., April 4, 1874; Lena M., April 16, 1875; after his marriage, he resided with his parents for two years, then purchased the property from his father.  The residence was built in 1865, a spacious brick structure.  He was School Inspector for several years, now Moderator.  Mr. S. owns 120 acres of land.

James SUYLANDT (deceased) was a brother of the next mentioned, and was born in Pauline, New York, July 19, 1802.  He came to Jackson County in May, 1836, and located in Henrietta Township; thence to Waterloo Township, where he was engaged in farming until his death, Aug. 24, 1877.  His wife died March 23, 1852, leaving 8 children; 7 are living.  July 18, 1852, Mr. S. married Mrs. Roxana Tate, born in Montreal, Canada, Sept. 3, 1821, daughter of Nathan and Deborah (Stephenson) Walker; they have had 2 children, viz.: Charles and Allie.  Mrs. S. had by her former marriage 5 children, 3 of whom are living; she still resides on the homestead with her son.  She owns 160 acres of land which is well improved and worth $50 per acre.

Josiah SUYLANDT, farmer, section 6, was born in Syracuse, New York, Aug. 15, 1812, son of James and Fannie (Winning) Suylandt, natives of New Jersey; his father was a millwright.  Josiah received his education in the common district schools of New York; learned the carpenter and joiner's trade, which he followed many years; was married in 1854, to Mary Marselous, born in New Jersey, March 22, 1815, daughter of Henry and Sally (Carr) Marselous.  They moved to Ohio in 1837, where he followed his trade till March, 1865, then moved to this county, and located on the farm he now owns, consisting of 80 acres of land, which is worth $40 per acre.  They have had 11 children. 6 boys and 5 girls; only 2 are living, viz.: Shadrac and David L.    Mr. S. is Republican.

J.C. WILLMORE, farmer, section 4, was born in Schuylkill County, Penn., April 22, 1848, son of Thomas and Helen Willmore; father a native of England and mother of Ireland; both are now living.  They came to this county in 1850; first located upon 90 acres of land and now own 348 acres, which is under good cultivation and well improved.  The subject of this sketch received his education in the common district schools, and was married in 1872, to Eliza Barker, born in Washtenaw County in 1855; she was the daughter of William and Eliza Barker.  Their children are Nellie and Willie.  Politically Mr. W. is Republican.

Mrs. Sarah WOODWARD was born in the State of New York, March 23, 1809, the second daughter of Michael and Catherine (Gee) Fraer, and of Dutch-English ancestry.  She attended the common schools in Onondaga County, N. Y., and remained with her parents until her marriage, Nov. 8,1825, to Daniel Woodward a native of Vermont, born Nov. 4, 1804; a cooper by trade.  They were the parents of 8 children, 5 daughters and 3 sons—Harley P., a resident of Parma; Catherine G., died in 1859; Naomi A., now Mrs. David Stevens, of Parma; Daniel O., residing in Kansas; Nathaniel King, a resident of Waterloo; Abigail W., the wife of John B. Quick, of Leoni; Sarali Ann, now Mrs. George Dicey, of Bay City; Mahlia Elizabeth, now Mrs. Chas. Case, of Waterloo.  Mrs. W. and family remained in the State of New York some eight years after marriage; also resided in Simcoe, Canada, for sometime.  In 1841 they came by land to Michigan; they built a house on a sled; herself, husband, and 6 children made the journey drawn by two yoke of oxen.  Upon starting they had a cash capital of $33.37, most of which they had upon their arrival in Michigan; they were 16 days making the trip.  Her husband had been to Michigan in 1836, and entered some land, upon which they now located, and where they have since resided.  A comfortable brick residence took the place of the original log structure in 1860.  Mrs. W. owns 217 acres of land and is comfortable in her declining years, surrounded by her numerous descendants.  She is a member of the M. E. Church, and has always been a hard-working, industrious woman.  Her husband died Oct. 17, 1876.




Line Divider

Back Home
Backgrounds By Marie

Copyright Genealogy Trails All Rights Reserved with Full Rights Reserved for Original Contributor