Line Divider
Brady Township
Kalamazoo County MI

History of Kalamazoo by Samuel W. Durant 1880


Line Divider


NATURAL FEATURES.

Geography.—The present township of Brady includes that portion of the county of Kalamazoo designated on the United States survey thereof as township 4 south, in range 10 west. It occupies a position in the southern tier of townships, and is bounded north by the township of Pavilion, east by Wakeshma, west by Schoolcraft, and south by St. Joseph County.

Topography, Soils, Lakes, Water- Courses, etc.—The surface of Brady township is gently undulating along the streams, and approaching nearer to a level in other portions. The eastern part was originally heavily timbered, while in the west were the familiar " oak openings." The soil is excellent and productive. The township was surveyed into sections and their subdivisions, in 1826, by Robert Clark, Jr. On the plat made from his field-notes is shown considerable marsh in portions of the township, but this has been drained so thoroughly that much of the territory marked marsh is now of great value as farming land. The township is well watered,—two branches of the Portage flow through it, also Bear Creek (or, as it was originally known, Beaver Creek), and a few smaller watercourses. The power furnished by the larger streams has been utilized to some extent. A few small lakes exist in the township, as Thrall,* Mud, and one or two of less consequence. A larger one, known as Indian Lake, lies mostly in this town, with a portion extending north into Pavilion. This is one of the principal feeders of the Portage. A portion of the village of Vicksburg is located in Brady township, on sections 18 and 19, and the depot at the junction of the Grand Rapids and Indiana and Northwestern Grand Trunk Railways is also on the Brady side of the line.

PREHISTORIC.

Several mounds of ancient origin have been discovered in this town, and some of them have been opened by seekers after relics of a past race. A mound on the farm of Bradley S. Williams, in the northwest part of the township, upon being opened was found to contain a human skeleton and the mass of debris which is characteristic of similar mounds wherever found. The conclusion arrived at was, therefore, that they were burial-places, used by a race which occupied the region before the tribes known as Indians had come into possession thereof. These smaller mounds, and in such localities, may have been used by the Indians themselves, but it is scarcely probable. The one upon Mr. Williams' farm was surmounted by an oak-tree two feet in diameter, thus affording evidence of great age ; and it seems proper to presume that these mounds were originated by the same people who prepared the famous " garden-beds" of Southwestern Michigan.

THE NOTTAWA-SEEPE RESERVATION.

Among the tracts of land reserved for the use of the Indians at the treaty of Chicago, in 1821, was that bearing the foregoing title. It embraced 115 sections of government surveys, and the portion lying in Kalamazoo County included the whole of what is now Brady township, and a strip two miles off from each,—Schoolcraft and Wakeshma. It extended south into St. Joseph County, in which its dimensions were nearly the same, and in the latter were the villages of the Nottawa Indians, who occupied it, —one in Leonidas and another in Mendon.

"In September, 1833, Governor Porter met Sau-au-quett and others of the tribe,—inferior men,—and by blandishments which won their hearts, in the way of gay trappings and military accoutrements, induced them to sign a treaty ceding to the United States the Nottawa-Seepe reservation." Considerable dissatisfaction among the Indians was the result, but the matter was finally settled, and two years were allowed them in which to remove from the reservation. As soon as it was ascertained that the United States had acquired a title to the land, the better portions of the reservation were taken up by settlers, regardless of the fact that the Indians had two years longer to remain upon it, and still further trouble ensued. u It was not until the spring of 1840 that the Indians were finally induced to leave their homes, and then only by the appearance on the scene of Gen. Brady and a detachment of United States dragoons."

LAND-ENTRIES.

The following is a list of those who originally entered land in township 4 south, range 10 west, now constituting Brady, together with the sections and years in which the entries were made:

Section 1.—1841, Sylvius Wallers; 1842, Conrad Eberstein, State of Michigan; 1847, George Eberstein; 1853, Conrad Eberstein.

Section 2.—1841, Charles Tando; 1842, Jonathan Mallery; 1843, Conrad Eberstein, Reuben A. Fuller, State of Michigan; 1848, Theodore Lameceule.

Section 3.—State of Michigan. Section 4.—1843, Almon W. Paine; 1844, Daniel J. Chipman; 1846, George A. Ward; 1847, Silas Morse; 1848, Hiram Ward; 1853, Edward P. Riley.

Section 5.—1838, Loren Stowell; 1842, Bradley S. Williams; 1845, Jacob Lemon; 1847, William Birch.

Section 6.—1838, George W. Allen; 1842, William H. Shumway, Russell Bishop; 1844, Charles Dumphey; 1850, George Lemon; 1853, B. S. Williams.

Section 7—1838, Roswell B. Clark; 1839, Loren Clark, Benjamin Tuttle, State.

Section 8.—1843, Charles P. Johnson, State of Michigan.

Section 9.—1840, John Downs, State; 1847, Truman Tiffany, Oliver Davenport; 1848, Herschel Wolcott.

Section 10.—State of Michigan.

Section 11.—1843, Almon W. Paine, State; 1847, Jacob Hampton, Walter J. Barrett; 1853, Jacob Hampton.

Section 12.—1843, Martin Van Buren, State; 1852, William M. Murray, Mariah Corson; 1853, Levi R. Corson.

Section 13.—University of Michigan.

Section 14,—1843-46, Nancy Brown, State; 1853, Eleary F. Briggs.

Section 15.—State of Michigan.

Section 16.—School land.

Section 17.—Horace Allen, Richard Reed, State; 1848, Charlotte M. McElvaine, Samuel Lammon; 1853, John Sharp; 1855, Abner Cross.

Section 18.—1838, Jonathan Carley, State; 1846, Matthew Reid;

1847, Peleg Stevens; 1852, Matthew Reid.

Section 19.—University of Michigan.

Section 20.—1842, Leonard Beebe, Stato.

Section 21.—University of Michigan.

Section 22.—1842, Manley P, Axtell, State; 1844, Octavius A. Axtell; 1848. Benjamin Franklin Axtell.

Section 23.—1842, Abram Allen, Sylvester Axtell, Sr.; 1844, Benjamin Burlingham, Octavius A. Axtell, State; 1847, Nathan Osborn and Hosea Barnabee; 1854, Charles Brown.

Section 24.—State of Michigan.

Section 25.—State (swamp lands); 1853, John G. Peek.

Section 26.—State of Michigan.

Section 27.—1842, Elisha Doan; 1844, same, State.

Section 28.—State of Michigan.

Section 29.—University of Michigan.

Section 30.—1838, Charles Kimble, State.

Section 31.—1840, Samuel Shearer; 1842, George Bishop, Margaret Kimble; 1843, Asa and Randolph Nutting.

Section 32.—1842, Daniel Jenkinson, Jonas Allen; 1844, Harmans T. Clement, State; 1852, George Wilson.

Section 33.—1843-44, William Worthington,State of Michigan; 1845, Josiah Folson; 1847, Nancy Anderson.

Section 34.—1838, De Witt C. Brooks; 1843, William Birch; 1845, Abel Thompson, State of Michigan.

Section 35.—1839, Abram Allen; 1843-47, Roswell Darling, State; 1847, Daniel P. Anderson.

Section 36.—State of Michigan.

From the foregoing it will be seen that the earliest entries in the township were made in 1838, and were but few in number. Settlers were slow to purchase and locate in the territory. Considerable marsh existed, but this has since been generally drained, and some of the most productive farms in the township are now owned where the land at one time was considered almost worthless, or at least not worth the trouble of draining. The principal marshes, as shown on the plat from the field-notes of the government surveyor, were in the southern part.

EARLY SETTLEMENT.

The name of the first settler in what now constitutes the township of Brady seems to have around it a veil of uncertainty, but that he located in the southwestern part of the town is generally admitted. A man named Heffron was among/the earliest ones. Samuel Shearer lived on section 31, and was one of the first to locate. William Kimble, Sr., had his home on this section, but died a short time after his arrival; his widow subsequently married a man named Clement, who also came early. The locality in which the pioneers of the township began their improvements was known as the "Smalley Settlement."

Bradley S. Williams, a native of Genesee Co., N. Y., and later a resident of Huron Co., Ohio, came to Michigan in the month of August, 1835, and made his home in Schoolcraft township, on Prairie Ronde. During the following winter he taught school on the south side of the prairie. At that time Mr. Williams was not yet of age. In the fall of 1835, in company with Lorenzo Stowell, he visited this township, and, after examining the territory in the neighborhood of the Smalley settlement, and other parts, he finally pre-empted the farm he now owns, on sections 5 and 6, and began improving it, plowing the first furrow in that part of town. The reason he and Mr. Stowell chose this locality was because it abounded in better timber than any other. Mr. Williams did not settle upon his place until the fall of 1839. He remained about twenty years, and removed to Kalamazoo, which has since been his home, and at which place he is now quite extensively engaged in manufacturing.

Lorenzo Stowell settled in 1838, which was a very sickly year, Dr. David E. Brown, of Virginia Corners, in Schoolcraft township, attending principally to the sick of this town, and nearly all were ailing, and his doses are remembered with pleasure (?) by those who were under his care. Mr. Stowell moved finally to Lake Co., Ind., and, at the age of about ninety, died at Lowell, in that county. In 1838, also, Dr. H. A. Baker began the practice of medicine in this township.

According to Thomas' "Historical Directory of Kalamazoo County for 1869-70" other early settlers in Brady, visiting it as early as 1835, were "a Mr. Anderson, Benjamin Tuttle, Elisha Doane." The last-named gentleman, who was a native of Massachusetts, lived also in the States of Vermont, New York, and Ohio. He came to Michigan from the town of Lyme, Huron Co., Ohio, in 1829, reaching Prairie Ronde on the first day of August, accompanied by his wife, two sons, and two daughters. He located first three miles southwest of Schoolcraft, and after two years moved upon the farm in Schoolcraft afterwards owned and occupied by Edwin H. Lothrop. In the fall of 1837 he moved into what is now the township of Brady, and settled on section 27, where he built a saw-mill on Bear Creek. In 1850, Mr. Doane went to California, and returned and went back again in 1851. His family followed in 1853, and his widow now resides in that State. One of his daughters is now the wife of John W. Darling, of Brady. The old farm is now the property of C. M. Beebe. John W. Darling, from the city of Albany, N. Y., emigrated to Michigan in 1835, reaching Park township, St. Joseph County, on the 3d of December in that year. His father, Ried Darling, in company with another son, Roswell Darling, had located on Portage Lake, in the township of Mendon, and J. W. D. stayed with them for some time. In the fall of 1837 he came to Vicksburg, Kalamazoo Co , and during that season and the ensuing winter worked in the saw-mill of Smith, Vickers & Co. In the spring of 1838 he moved -into Brady township, which has since been his home, although much of his time has been spent away from it. During 1851-52 he was in California. His first claim in Brady included the southwest quarter of section 27. He now lives on section 34, where he settled in 1853.

Among those living in the vicinity when Mr. Darling came was John W. Barclay, Sr. Charles Brown, William Jenkinson, and William B. Wandells were also early arrivals. The only one of the four persons named who is now living is Mr. Jenkinson, who was originally from Ireland, and for some time a resident of Canada. The widows of Messrs. Brown and Wandell still reside in the township, and the former's son, Charles Brown, Jr., occupies the old farm. Mr. Brown had at one time a saw-mill on his place, but it is not now in use.

J. M. Beebe, from Medina Co., Ohio, moved to Kalamazoo Co., Mich., in September, 1843, and settled in the township of Cooper. In 1853 he came to Brady, and since that date the latter township has been his home. His brother, 0. Beebe, preceded him to Cooper by four or five years, and also moved afterwards into Brady, where he lived twenty years or more. His home at present is at South Haven, Mich. A portion of the old Elisha Doane farm is now the property of C. M. Beebe, whose father (J. M. B.) owned it at the time the saw-mill was abandoned, which was during the war of the Rebellion.

Among other settlers in the township were the Axtells, Bests, Kimbles, and Nelson Wilcox, the last named being the first supervisor of the present town of Brady. Manley Axtell's son, P. M. Axtell, resides in town, and his uncle, Dr. R. A. Axtell, lives south of Kalamazoo village in the township of the same name. Charles Eberstein, on section 1, is also an early settler.

Several native Germans have become residents of this township, the first being Fritz Bastian, who came about 1856-57. Charles Lowe, Frederick Kuhn, and Michael Specht soon followed, and others settled later; all have good farms, generally well improved. Philip Bohner, who had come to the State of New York in 1847, located in Brady in 1859, a half-mile east of his present residence. Pennsylvania has also furnished a number of the settlers of Brady. Peter Strome, Jacob H. Rishel, Daniel Hinebach, John and D. E. Rishel (brothers and distantly related to J. H. Rishel), were all from Montour (formerly Columbia) Co., Pa. Strome was the first of these to arrive. John Rishel settled in 1855; D. E. Rishel in 1857, having previously lived several years in the township of Park, St. Joseph Co. Jacob H. Rishel and Daniel Hinebach came a little later. John and D. E. Rishel and Peter Strome settled on section 29, which was included in the State University lands. Abraham Mohney came into the township some time before any of the above, and was from Red Bank, Clarion Co., Pa. Daniel Hoch emigrated quite early from the same locality, and numerous others have moved in since, many of them settling in the northern part of St. Joseph County. In building their houses they have generally followed the simple style of architecture so common with their brethren in Pennsylvania, and there is very little superfluous outward show to speak of the comforts within. Their farms are well kept and yield excellent returns. So numerous have the Pennsylvanians become in this region of Michigan that a church has been erected by them in St. Joseph County, which has a large membership. Many of them purchased farms which had been already improved, while others secured woodland and carved homes for themselves with the axe as a companion to the plow. Those living in the township of Brady are principally in the southern and southwestern portions, which were originally heavily timbered, and where is yet standing a considerable acreage of the original forest.

The following-named persons, as appears from the early records of the township, were residents of what was then Brady in the years from 1830 to 1835, inclusive. The names are taken from, the list of those recording stockmarks, with the year in which each first appears: Armstrong, James, 1832.

Bair, Christopher, Dec. 16, 1830.
Bacon, Daniel, Dec. 22, 1830.
Bair, Joseph, Dec. 23, 1830.
Brown, George, Dec. 27, 1830.
Bates, William, April 26, 1833.
Bates, Dennis, Aug. 13, 1834.
Brown, John, March 28, 1835.
Bates, Daniel, Sept. 24, 1835.
Clark, Joel, Dec. 19, 1832.
Calhoun, Aimer, Jan. 2, 1833.
Duncan, Delamoro, Dec. 16, 1830.
Dunkin, Joshua D., Feb. 17, 1833.
Fellows, Abiel, March 11, 1831.
Fellows, Jaraea, March 11, 1831.
Fletcher, Elijah, Aug. 13, 1834.
Guilford, Erastas, March 11, 1831.
Guilford, Valentino, July 6, 1831.
Guilford, Samuel, July 6, 1831.
Hackett Samuel, Dec. 16, 1830.
Harrison, Bazel, Dec. 23, 1830.
Harrison, Ephraim, Feb. 15, 1831.
Harrison, Elias S., March 7, 1831.
Hoyt, R. C, March 11, 1831.
Hoyt, Stephen, Dec. 22, 1830.
Insley, John, Dec. 16, 1830.
Kniss, Peter, Sr., March 21, 1831.
Knight, John, Nov. 24, 1834.
Lothrop, E. H. 1830.
McCreary, Preston J., April 23, 1832.
Noyes, James, Oct. 18,1831.
Pitts, Otis. March 15, 1834.
Paugh, John, Dec. 4, 1835.
Sumner, Isaac, Jan. 25, 1831.
Savage, Towner, March 11, 1831.
Smith, Thaddeus, March 14, 1331.
Scott, Andrew, Nov. 12, 1835.
Smith, James D., Dec. 12, 1835.
Stevens, Henry, Feb. 7, 1834.
Townsend, James, March 14, 1831.
Tisdale, Erastus, Nov. 14, 1333.
Taylor, William, April 27, 1835.
Wood, Alanson, March 11, 1831.
Wood, Jonathan, March 11, 1831.
Wigart, Abraham, Dec. 22, 1830.
Wells, Darius, Dec. 19, 1832.

These were nearly all in the towns now comprising Schoolcraft and Prairie Ronde.

The following is a list of the tax-payers in the township of Brady, with property assessed, in 1837, including also what are now Schoolcraft, Wakeshma, and Texas:

Armstrong, James, 4 horses, 3 cows, 1 yoke of oxen, 4 yoke of cattle, 5 bogs.

Avery, Charles, 4 horses.
Allen, David, I cow, 1 yoke of oxen.
Allen, Horace, 3 head of stock.
Allen, J. W., 80 acres unimproved land.
Adye, Munson, 4 horses, 2 cows, 8 hogs.
Atwater, Adrick, 40 acres unimproved land.
Amesberry, T. W., 240 acres unimproved land.
A. B., A, L. C, A. G. F., A. N., 200 acres unimproved land.
Barnabee, Stephen, 2 acres improved, 78 acres unimproved, 15 head of stock.
Bristol, Luther, 25 head of stock.
Brown, John S., 5 head of stock.
Beebe, Daniel, 10 acres improved, 59 acres unimproved, 4 head of stock.
Brooks, Daniel, 22 head of stock.
Boudeman, Isaac, 2 horses.
Bristol, Seaman, 1 village lot, 1 horse.
Burson, Aaron K., 40 acres improved, 80 acres unimproved, 10 head of stock.
Burson, Isaiah, 80 acres unimproved, 2 cows.
Burson, Joseph, 80 acres improved, 120 acres unimproved, 20 head of stock.
Burson, James, 2 horses.
Brown, David E., 4 head of stock.
Burson, Jesse, 8 head of stock.
Burson, David, 50 acres improved, 150 acres unimproved, 12 head of stock.
Burson, Abner, 30 acres improved, 180 acres unimproved, 20 head of stock.
Beals, F. A., 4 village lots, 12 head of stock.
Brown, E. L., 1 village lot.
Brown A., 9 village lots.
Burson, Aaron, 191 acres unimproved land.
Beals, John, 1 village lot.
Baldwin, P. H., 10 head of stock.
Briggs, A. C, 2 head of stock.
Briggs, Edmund L., 100 acres improved, 60 acres unimproved, 5 head of stock.
Briggs, S. C, 3 head of stock.
Briggs, Asa, 70 acres improved, 163 acres unimproved, 68 head of stock.
Briggs, Isaac, 80 acres improved, 40 acres unimproved, 46 head of stock.
Brown, Isaac R., 50 acres improved, 110 acres unimproved, 71 head of stock.
Brown, Asa B., 77 acres unimproved.
Briggs, Asa, 71 acres unimproved.
Bennett, I., 160 acres unimproved.
Blake,-, 166 acres unimproved.
Blake \ Co., 80 acres unimproved.
Briggs, Asa, 120 acres unimproved. '
Bishop,-, 75 acres improved, 30 acres unimproved, 28 head of stock.
Brown, John, 90 acres improved, 230 acres unimproved, 22 head of stock.
Butler, Orimel, 3 head of stock.
Briggs, Isaac, 80 acres unimproved.
Baldwin, N., 30 acres unimproved.
Barnard, M., 80 acres unimproved.
Breeze, Samuel, 324 acres unimproved.
Brundage,-, 120 acres unimproved.
Bond, Jesse, 80 acres unimproved.
Bailey, J., 80 acres unimproved.
Bailey, H., 80 acres unimproved.
Briggs, Lucy A., 80 acres unimproved.
Bull, A. E., 51 village lots, 12 acres unimproved, 2 horses.
Campbell, R., 160 acres unimproved.
Cooper, Justin, 51 acres improved, 29 acres unimproved, 18 head of stock.
Carleton, Luther, 2 village lots, 1 cow.
Cobb, Amos B., 52 acres improved, 103 acres unimproved, 24 head of stock.
Clayton, Jeremiah, 3 head of stock.
Clark, Loren, 3 head of stock.
Clowes, Thomas, 2 head of stock.
Clark,-, 240 acres unimproved.
Cock, A. —, 160 acres unimproved.
Carlton, Luther, 100 acres unimproved.
Cadwell, Joseph, 320 acres unimproved.
Cadwell,--, 71 acres unimproved.
Clarson, William, 5 horses.
Colo, Stephen L., 1224 acres unimproved.
Campbell, 160 acres unimproved.
Cole, Samuel, 178 acres unimproved.
Comstock, H. H., 80 acres unimproved.
Carpenter, A. H., 80 acres unimproved.
Davison, Alexander, 70 acres improved, 50 acres unimproved, 6 head of stock.
Dix, John, 8 head of stock.
Daniels, L. J., 100 acres improved, 150 acres unimproved, 34 head of stock.
Dycus, James, 28 head of stock.
Dunkin, Joshua 15., 160 acres unimproved, 16 head of stock.
Durfee, Earl, 160 acres unimproved.
Douglass, Eli, 10 acres improved, 1110 acres unimproved, 6 head of stock.
Dudley, T. J., 160 acres unimproved.
Davenport, J., 332 acres unimproved.
Davy & Co., 80 acres unimproved.
Dwell, A., 80 acres unimproved.
Duncan, D., 50 acres unimproved.
Ely, Alexander, 80 acres improved, 240 acres unimproved.
Eldred,-, 240 acres unimproved.
Ely, Alexander, 320 acres unimproved.
Finley, Hugh, 77 acres unimproved.
Forsyth, A., 65 acres unimproved, 55 acres improved, 2 head of stock.
Francisco, Samuel, 80 acres unimproved, 1 village lot.
Fisher, Charles, 9 head of stock.
Frank, S. W,, 5 village lots, 40 acres unimproved.
Frakes, L. D., 2 horses.
Frakes, J., 20 acres improved, 60 acres unimproved, 26 head of slock.
Fairchild, Thomas, 3 head of stock.
Thayer, Stephen, 1 cow.
Frakes, Robert, 18 head of stock.
Fitzgerald, A., 160 acres unimproved.
Fox, R. W., 80 acres unimproved.
Fuller, Abiel, 14 head of stock.
Fuller, Hosea, 65 acres unimproved, 15 acres improved, 15 head of stock.
F H., 40 acres unimproved.
Grout, Salmon, 76 acres unimproved, 12 head of stock.
Garver, Henry, 63 acres unimproved.
Gage, Isaac, 160 acres unimproved.
Gibbs, William E., 80 acres unimproved.
Greer h Co., 155 acres unimproved.
Gibbs, Isaac, 240 acres unimproved.
Gowers, A. G., 80 acres unimproved.
Gordon, J. M., 40 acres unimproved.
Guilford, V., 80 acres unimproved.
Gray Amos, 1 village lot.
Hiesrod A Lawrence, 1 village lot, 4 head of stock.
Hendricks, Nancy, 53 acres improved, 28 acres unimproved, 3 head of stock.
Homenway, Sumner, 30 acres improved, 210 acres unimproved, 8 head of stock.
Holmes, Richard, 60 acres improved, 244 acres unimproved, 22 head of stock.
Hatheway,-, 3 head of stock.
Humphrey, Jeremiah, 6 village lots, 10 acres improved, 70 acres un- improved.
Hill, O. C, 320 acres unimproved.
Hill, Adam, 2 horses.
Hill, Cornelius, 2 horses.
Hewitt, P., 7 head of stock.
Hunt, William P., 17 acres improved, 103 acres unimproved, 27 head of stock.
Harrison, Eli, 6 head of stock.
Hawley, Sheldon, 30 acres improved, 90 acres unimproved, 8 head of stock.
Hawley, William, 1 cow.
Horner, J., 320 acres unimproved.
Howard, F., 118 acres unimproved.
Howland, George, 1210 acres unimproved.
Houk,-, 40 acres unimproved.
Human, G., 80 acres unimproved.
Horner, J., 720 acres unimproved.
Harvey, Henry, 2000 acres unimproved.
Halcourt,-, 80 acres unimproved.
Howell, 0., 151 acres unimproved.
Holstead,-, 5 head of stock.
Heffron, William, 12 head of stock.
Harris, William, 35 acres improved, 220 acres unimproved, 16 head of stock.
Hogsett, James N., 55 acres improved, 505 acres unimproved, 5 head of stock.
Howard, J., 653 acres unimproved.
Hammond, J., 160 acres unimproved.
Hopkins, W. R., 160 acres unimproved.
Holmes, R., 80 acres unimproved.
Hackby, J., 320 acres unimproved.
H. S.-, 40 acres unimproved.
Hathaway,-, 40 acres unimproved.
Harrison, D. M., 80 acres unimproved.
H. W. -, 40 acres unimproved.
Ingraham, D., 80 acres unimproved.
Johnson, Joseph, 400 acres, unimproved.
Johnson, A. E., 65 acres unimproved.
Joslin. J. G., 66 acres unimproved.
Lord, Albert H., 320 acres unimproved.
J. H. S., 80 acres unimproved.
Jenkins, John B., 2 village lots.
Kniss, Peter, 2 village lots.
Knight; John, 80 acres unimproved.
Knight, Godfrey, 80 acres unimproved.
Kellogg, E., 66 acres unimproved.
Kingland, D. C. & A. C, 320 acres unimproved.
Kniss, Peter, 80 acres unimproved.
Lothrop, Edwin H., 430 acres unimproved, 180 acres improved, 46 head of stock.
Longwell, Selleck, 160 acres unimproved, 40 acres improved.
Luther, Capt. Joseph, 42 acres unimproved, 38 acres improved.
Lawson, James, 1 village lot.
Lyon, Ira, 100 acres improved, 178 acres unimproved, 14 head of stock.
Lilly, John, 4 head of stock.
Lloyd, Samuel, 16 head of stock.
Lake, H. G., 254 acres unimproved.
Lovett, S. D., 160 acres unimproved.
Lampson,-, 147 acres unimproved.
L. J., 40 acres unimproved.
Langdon, J. -, 361 acres unimproved.
Leland, George, 1 village lot.
Leverage, N., 80 acres unimproved.
Luce, Levi, 30 acres improved, 170 acres unimproved, 6 head of stock.
Lovett, D. A., 160 acres unimproved.
Lovett. John, 100 acres improved, 360 acres unimproved, 24 head of
McKinstry, Andrew, 4 village lots, 23 acres improved, 137 acres un- improved, 12 head of stock.
McComsey, John, 60 acres improved, 163 acres unimproved, 24 head of stock.
McGeorge, William II., 7 head of stock.
McElvaine, William, 8 head of stock.
McElvaine, Greer, 12 head of stock.
McElvaine, Robert, 1 horse.
Morris, Samuel, 130 acres unimproved.
Morris, Robert, 1 yoke oxen.
Moss, Ira, 80 acres unimproved.
Morris, R., 264 acres unimproved.
Moore,-, 148 acres unimproved.
Month, N., 80 acres unimproved.
McElroy, Edward, 120 acres unimproved, 13 head of stock.
McLin, Thomas, 120 acres unimproved, 80 acres improved, 28 head of stock.
McLin, Samuel, 40 acres unimproved, 2 head of stock.
McLin, Allen, 40 acres unimproved, 2 head of stock.
Maxon, Norman, 180 acres unimproved.
McNett,-, 160 acres unimproved.
Morris, J. W., 92 acres unimproved.
Morehouse. J. B,. 240 acres unimproved.
McElroy,-, 40 acres unimproved.
Maxon & Co, 40 acres unimproved.
Merrill, G. W., 40 acres unimproved.
McNctt, J., 160 acres unimproved.
McKinstry, A., 40 acres unimproved.
McComsey,-, 240 acres unimproved.
Noyes, J. W., 320 acres unimproved.
Nelson, Asahol, 200 acres unimproved, 16 head of stock.
N. B. M.-, 80 acres unimproved.
Noyes, John W., 11 head of stock.
Ostram & Co., 1280 acres unimproved-
Orcutt, C, 160 acres unimproved.
O. W. L., 40 acres unimproved.
Opp, E. J., 40 acres unimproved.
Proctor, Asa, 10 head of stock.
Pierce, Joseph B., 2 village lots, 8 head of stock.
Pratt, J., 152 acres unimproved.
Pratt, C, 80 acres unimproved.
Pease, C, 240 acres unimproved.
Paine, Smith, 40 acres unimproved.
Perrine, H. S., 160 acres unimproved.
Prentice & Co., 160 acres unimproved.
Pratt, H., 107 acres unimproved.
Platt, E., 53 acres unimproved.
Perrine, Barbour & Fox, 76 acres unimproved.
Perrine & McCreary, 80 acres unimproved.
Rowe, Lucien, 75 acres unimproved, 15 acres improved, 7 head of stock.
Rawson, Turner, I horse.
Rowe, Daniel, 40 acres improved, 120 acres unimproved.
Robinson, William, 14 head of stock.
Royes, R. A., 4 head of stock.
Rawson, Elias, 100 acres improved, 607 acres unimproved, 16 head of stock.
Rockwell, Charles W., 402 acres unimproved.
Rude, W., 429 acres unimproved.
Rumsey, J. D., 80 acres unimproved.
Robbin, R., 160 acres unimproved.
Rix, Ira, 1366 acres unimproved.
Rathbun, Jr., 80 acres unimproved.
Roys, A., 80 acres unimproved.
Ransom, E., 400 acres unimproved.
Ricker, G. P., 80 acres unimproved.
Smith, Harry, 200 acres unimproved, 70 acres improved, 22 head of stock.
Stearns, John, 5 head of stock.
Sargeant, Nahum, 15 head of stock.
Sargeant, Nahum, Jr., 4 head of stock.
Smith, Wm., 60 acres improved, 100 acres unimproved, 9 head of stock.
Smith, Robert, 2 horses.
Smith, William, Jr., 9 head of stock.
Smith, Thaddeus, 2 village lots, 20 acres improved, 60 acres unimproved, 10 head of stock.
Smith, Joseph A., 2 village lots, 76 acres improved, 9 acres unimproved, 10 head of stock.
Stevens, P., 70 acres improved, 80 acres unimproved, 12 head of stock.
Smith, James, Jr., 60 acres improved, 140 acres unimproved, 38 head of stock.
Slade, C. 15., 2 village lots, 1 cow.
Stansbury, Samuel, 1 horse.
Stansbury, Levi, 6 head of stock.
Strong, Jacob, 1 cow.
Stewart, Geo., 40 acres improved, 80 acres unimproved, 5 head of stock.
Smith, James, Jr., 40 acres unimproved.
Sheldon, T. C. 40 acres unimproved.
Smith, John W., 6 head of stock.
Stanley, Abial, 80 acres unimproved, 7 head of stock.
Stone, S., 201 acres unimproved.
Shed, W. J., 160 acres unimproved.
Scott,-, 160 acres unimproved.
Smith, J., 74 acres unimproved.
Savage, T., 40 acres unimproved.
Searle, A., 80 acres unimproved.
Stowell, Loren, 19 head of stock.
Sheldon,-, 40 acres unimproved.
Stearns & Co., 160 acres unimproved.
Shephard, D., 80 acres unimproved.
Scott, M. B., 323 acres unimproved.
Townsend, James, 60 acres improved, 100 acres unimproved, 15 head of stock.
Townsend, Nathan, 4 head of stock.
Taylor, Benjamin, 30 acres improved, 210 acres unimproved, 26 head of stock.
Tolley, Jared, 1 village lot.
Thomas, Nathan M., 3 village lots, 3 head of stock.
Taylor, William, 10 acres improved, 201 acres unimproved, 12 head of stock.
Townsend, J. and N., 1 village lot.
Tracy, John, 2 head of stock.
Tisdale, Erastus, 80 acres improved, 19 head of stock.
Tomlinson & Co., 480 acres unimproved.
Taylor, Charles, 640 acres unimproved.
Tack, John, 81 acres unimproved.
Towers, Albert Q., 120 acres unimproved.
Tomlinson, D., 1605 acres unimproved.
Tomlinson, William A., 1600 acres unimproved.
Tomlinson, David, 960 acres unimproved.
Tuttle, Abner, 4 head of stock.
Vickery, Stephen, 115 acres improved, 205 acres unimproved.
Vickery, John, 2 head of stock.
Vickery, Stephen, 120 acres improved, 80 acres unimproved, 15 head of stock.
Vickery, Stephen, 160 acres unimproved-
Vickery & Co., 160 acres unimproved.
Vance, A. S., 86 acres unimproved.
Vickery, Stephen, Jr., 33 head of stock.
Waters, John, 3 head of stock.
Wheeler, J., 80 acres unimproved.
W. T., 40 acres unimproved.
Wilber, Stephen, 80 acres improved, 180 acres unimproved.
Woolley, John R., 1 village lot.
Wilsey, Daniel, 2 village lots.
Wilson, John, 80 acres unimproved.
Ward A Co., 320 acres unimproved.
Ward, A. H., 240 acres unimproved.
Ward & Co., 800 acres unimproved.
Ward & Brownson, 480 acres unimproved.
Wells & Vickery, 320 acres unimproved.
Watkins, W., 80 acres unimproved.
Wells, Samuel 0., 200 acres improved, 300 acres unimproved, 13 head of stock.
Waldrick, Samuel, 120 acres unimproved.
Weed & Goodsell, 240 acres unimproved, 3 head of dtock.
Willard, S. J., 95 acres unimproved.
Westover,-, 56 acres unimproved.
Waters, B., 280 acres unimproved.
W. R. H., 40 acres unimproved.
Winslow, J., 100 acres unimproved.
Wager, H., 280 acres unimproved.
Westover, Austin, 80 acres unimproved.
Wildrick, S. Q., 120 acres unimproved.
Wilder, D., 80 acres unimproved.
Wandell, B., 6 head of stock.

TOWNSHIP ORGANIZATION AND CIVIL LIST.

The name Brady, as compared with itself when first applied to this region, comprehends but little. The original township, as formed by act of the Legislative Council, Nov. 15, 1829, included "the counties of Kalamazoo and Barry, and all the country lying north of the same," attached to St. Joseph County for judicial purposes. The first township-meeting was probably held as directed, at the house of Abram I. Shaver, in what is now Prairie Ronde township, in the spring of 1830, as William Duncan, a resident of the latter town, represented the township of Brady in that year as one of the Board of Supervisors of St. Joseph County. July 30,1830, Kalamazoo County was separately organized, and Brady township was reduced in size to the south half thereof. By subsequent acts other townships were formed from portions of it, until, in 1842, it was left to include only what are now Brady and Wakeshma, and the latter was set off March 25, 1846. The record of the town-meeting for 1842, when a new order of things was inaugurated, is as follows :

"Met Pursuant to Public Notice at an annual Township Meeting, held at the Dwelling House of Robert Jenkinson in the Township of Brady, on Monday, the 4th day of April, a.d. 1842, for the purpose of electing Township Officers for the Ensuing year.

"Wm. B. Randalls chosen Moderator; the meeting was called to order; the meeting proceeded to elect, viva voce, a Board of Inspectors for tho ensuing day. Voted, That Daniel C. Ward, Bradley S. Williams, Nelson Wilcox, and Nelson Bond serve as Inspectors of Election the ensuing day; Voted, That Linus Cross and Manley P. Axtell serve as Clerks of the Board for said election. The meeting being organized Proceeded to buisness by Ballot.

"The Meeting then Voted, That they should Proceed to appoint their Overseers of Highways and attend to making their by-Laws & to transact such other buisiness as should come before the Meeting viva voce before Canviesing the votes.

"Voted, that Amos Bond serve as Overseer of Highways in Dist.

No. 1: Jacob Lemons for Dist. No. 2; John W. Barclay for Dist. No.

3 Levi Upthegrove for Diet. No. 4; Roswell Darling for Dist. No.

5 Wm. B. Wandell for Dist. No. 6.

Voted, That Lyman Fuller serve as Pound Master the ensuing year.

Voted, That the Town Raise Twenty-five Dollars for Defraying Town Expences the Present year.

Voted, That no Boars shall run free commoners.

Voted, That the meeting be adjourned till the first Monday in April, a.d. 1843, at John W. Barclay's New House in the Said Township, at 9 o'clock, a.m."

The following were the officers chosen (1842): Supervisor, Nelson Wilcox; Township Clerk, Linus Cross; Treasurer, Daniel C. Ward; Justices of the Peace, D. C. Ward, Nelson Wilcox, Bradley S. Williams, Lewis Kimble; Commissioners of Highways, Jacob J. Gardner, Nelson Bond,f Joseph B. Evans; School Inspectors, B. S. Williams, Linus Cross, Nelson Wilcox ; Overseers of the Poor, Daniel C. Ward, Loren Clark ; Constables, Nelson Bond, Lyman P. Lewis, Benjamin P. Doane.J

The officers of the township from 1843 to 1879, inclusive, are given in the following list:

SUPERVISORS.

1843, Nelson Wilcox; 1844-45, Lewis C. Kimble; 1846, Bradley S. Williams; 1847, Campbell Sargeant; 1848-49, B. S. Williams; 1850-51, Lewis C. Kimble; 1852-53, Ezra Smith; 1854, Hiram Ward; 1855-56, Charles Brown; 1857, B. S. Williams; 1858, Charles Brown; 1859, L. C. Kimble; 1860, Charles T. Richardson; 1861, Peter A. Beebe; 1862, Charles Brown; 1863, Charles Eberstein; 1864, L. C. Kimble; 1865, Jacob Lemon; 1866-70, Lewis C. Kimble; 1871-76, George Morse; 1877, L. C. Kimble; 1878, Stephen P. Collins; 1879, Edward R. Fuller.

TOWNSHIP CLERKS.

1843, Linus Cross; 1844, Norman A. Hill; 1345-46, Hiram Ward; 1847, D. P. Anderson; 1848-54, John M. Blair; 1855, Charles T. Richardson; 1856, John M. Blair; 1857-58, C. T. Richardson; 1859, William Jenkinson; 1860-63, William Best; 1864, Rosco M.Fisher; 1865-67, William Best; 1868-74, Rosco M. Fisher; 1875-77, Stephen P. Collins; 1878, R. M. Fisher; 1879, William Southworth.

TREASURERS.

1843, Daniel C.Ward; 1844-45, Bradley S. Williams; 1846, Lewis C. Kimble; 1847-49, William Best; 1850-51, William Jenkinson; 1852-53, William Best; 1854, Matthew Reid; 1855, George M. Harper; 1856-57, Matthew Reid; 1858, William Best; 1859, Matthew Reid; 1860-62, Charles Eberstein; 1863, Timothy Whiting; 1864-66, George Morse; 1867-74, William Jenkinson; 1875-77, Peter Franklin; 1878, Wm. Jenkinson; 1879, Charles Brown, Jr.

JUSTICES OF THE PEACE.

1843, D. C. Ward; 1844, Charles Brown; 1845, Jacob J. Gardner; 1846, L. C. Kimble, Horace Sawyer; 1847, George M. Harper; 1848, Henry W. Cronkhite; 1849, Hiram Ward; 1850, James P. Fuller, B. S. Williams; 1851, George M. Harper, Charles Brown; 1852, Henry W. Cronkhite; 1853, Charles Brown; 1854, James Johnson; 1855, Roswell Darling, James Fuller; 1856, Peter A. Beebe; 1857, Charles Brown; 1858, Timothy Whiting, Silus R. Burdick; 1859, James S. Fuller; 1860, Peter A. Beebe; 1861, Hiram Cowles; 1862, John W. Brown; 1863, Jame3 S. Fuller; 1864, Peter A. Beebe; 1865, John Darling; 1866, Thomas C. Cutler, Hiram Cowles; 1867, Charles P. Gage; 186S, Hiram Cowles, J. H. Rishel, John S. Burk; 1869, Joseph Elkerton, Joseph Lammon; 1870, John Miller; 1871, Louis Rapp; 1872, L. C. Kimble, Louis Rapp; 1873, Joseph Elkerton; 1874, Jacob H. Rishel 1875, Corydon Potter, Louis Rapp; 1876, N. V. Jones; 1877, John Miller, Howard Cook; 1878, L. C. Kimble, Charles Eberstein; 1879, Matthew Van Duzen.

OVERSEERS OF THE POOR.

1844, Amos Bond, James Portman; 1845, Amos Bond, John Kurr; 1846, James Portman, Amos Bond; 1847, J. "W. Barclay, Jonathan Mallory; 1848, J. W. Barclay, Amos Bond; 1849, J. W. Barclay, M. P. Axtell; 1850, Jeremiah Potfer, Amos Bond; 1851, no record; 1852, S. Lemon,# J. Evans; 1853, S. Lemon, J. Potter; 1854, S. Lemon, Charles Doming; 1855, Charles Deming, J. M. Beebe; 1856, J. Potter, S. Lemon; 1857, S. Hawkins, Charles Deming; 1858, Samuel Laminon; 1859, Samuel Hawkins, David Hull.

COMMISSIONERS OF HIGHWAYS.

1843, B. S. Williams, Charles Brown, Jacob J. Gardner; 1844, Hiram Ward, Charles Brown, N. A. Hills; 1845, H. Ward, S. Lammon, Caleb Orcutt; 1846, Benj. Burden, S. Lammon, John Darling; 1847, Jeremiah Potter, S. Lammon, James Portman; 1848, Uriah Herson; 1849, M. Reid, Wm. Jenkinson; 1850, J. C.Anderson; 1851, Sylvester Axtell; 1852, Chas. Brown, Elisha Norton; 1853, John C. Anderson; 1854, Samuel Lammon; 1855, Chester Tiffany; 1856, Conrad Eberstein; 1857, Horace Sawyer; 1858, Chester P. Tiffany; 1859, L. Bronson, G. M. Harper; 1860, Warren S. Crippen; 1861, Henry W. Cronkhite; 1862, James M. Beebe; 1863, Chester P. Tiffany ; 1864, John Rishel; 1865, Chas. Brown; 1866, Leander Cannon ; 1867, F. Kuhn, S. Krader; 1868, Jacob H. Rishel; 1869, L. Cannon; 1870, J. W. Barclay; 1871, Wm. Kimble; 1872, Robert Butcher; 1873, Perez B. Rogers; 1874- 77, Wm. Kimble; 1878, Jacob Heberly; 1879, Seth Vroman.

SCHOOL INSPECTORS.

1843, N. A. Hills, L. C. Kimble; 1844, L. C. Kimble, C. P. Johnson; 1845, Mahlon W. Hobart; 1846, W. J. Barrett, G. M. Harper; 1847, Ezra Smith; 1348, Norman A. Hill; 1849, H. Foster, L. C. Kimble ; 1850, Charles T. Richardson; 1851, Samuel M. Fowler; 1852, Norman A. Hill; 1853, Ezra Smith ; 1854, Peter A. Beebe; 1855, James Brockway: 1856, Lewis C. Kimble ; 1857, R. A. Axtell; 1858, James G. Brockway; 1859, C. T. Richardson, L. Vroman; 1860, James Shaver; 1861, Lewis C. Kimble; 1862, James J.M. Shafer; 1863, Lucius H. Vroman ; 1864, Orlana Beebe ; 1865, J. M. Shafer, J. G. Brockway; 1866, T. C. Cutler, R. M. Fisher; 1867, Carroll L. Rood; 1868, Joseph Elkerton; 1869, C. L.Rood ; 1870, Joseph Elkerton; 1871, Stephen P. Collins; 1872, Joseph Elkerton; 1873, S. P. Collins; 1874-75, Joseph Elkerton; 1876- 78, William J. Squire; 1879, Charles Eberstein.

SCHOOL SUPERINTENDENTS.

1875-77, Rosco M. Fisher; 1878, Mottrain Hill; 1879, Charles Brown, Jr.

DRAIN COMMISSIONERS.

1872-73, John Rishel; 1874, Benjamin P. Burpee; 1877, Robert Butcher; 1878, William Kimble; 1879, Manley P. Axtell.

CONSTABLES.

1843, Charles Brown, Roswell Darling, James Wilson, C. B. Deyarmond; 1844, C. B. Deyarmond, James Wilson, Benjamin Burlingame, Richard McCoy; 1845, Charles Blackman, M. Collins, George Best, Roswell Darling; 1846, C. C. Blackman, George Best, James Tripp, Joseph Lammon; 1847, C. C. Blackman, James Tripp, James Wilson, George Bishop; 1848, J. Wilson, J. Tripp, B. F. Axtell, E. J. Rilley; 1849, J. Wilson, Charles Gage, B. F. Axtell, Hiram Stevens; 1850, J. Wilson, Lorenzo Tripp, Francis Herson, George Bishop; 1851, J. Wilson, J. Tripp, Charles Blackman, G. Bishop ; 1852, J. Wilson, Carlos Lammon, C. P. Gage, L. P. Muttice; 1853, J. Wilson, C. P. Gage, William Kimble, J. S. Lammon; 1854, J. Wilson, J. S. Lammon, George Cook; 1855, J. W. Brown, Amos Best, Washington Cook, Wm. H. Wandell; 1856, George Pickard, James Calkins, Corydon Potter, Elizur W. Norton; 1857, W. Cook, J. Calkins, J. W. Barclay, W. H. Ainsworth; 1858, A. S. White, W. Cook, W. II. Ainsworth, William Bair; 1859, Nicholas Reid, George Morse; 1860, W. H. Ainsworth, W. Cook, Abel White, Nathan W. Foster; 1861, Francis S. Sanderson; 1862, Edward E. Burdick; 1863, W. H. Ainsworth, Elisha Darling, E. C. Burdick, W. Cook; 1864, J. Wilson, Sidney Annis, Willham 0. Beebe, Silas Morse; 1865, J. C. Tryon, Seth Vroinan, John M. Blair, William Downey; 1860, Daniel Hoch, Nicholas Reid, Harrison Cronkhite, William Root; 1867, J. C. Tryon, H. W. Cronkhite. Nicholas Reid, Menzo Best; 1868, Solomon Dinger, H. W. Cronkhite, Stiles Roberts, Nicholas Reid; 1869, William McCaslin, Samuel Lazerar, H. W. Cronkhite, Ethan Richmond; 1870, N. V. Jones, William McCaslin, Sol. Dinger, George Strong; 1871, Benjamin Burpee, S. Lazerar, George Richmond, Archibald Finney; 1872, Henry Munn, Drury Lammon, P. B. Rogers, Charles Shuttuck; 1873, Benjamin Burpee, T.J. Bowling, B. S. Robards, M. Potter; 1874, E. E. Burdick, Albert Crouch, B. P. Burpee, N. V. Jones; 1875, N. Reid, D. Lammon, N. V. Jones, J. S. Elkerton ; 1876, A. Crouch, D. Lammon, V. Hampton, John J. Beebe; 1877, F. Trivelpiece, W. S. Wandell, J. Rockwall, V. Hampton; 1878, Michael Kinney, Henry Munn, Curtis Merry, Francis Trivelpiece; 1879, Emmett Jamieson, Charles Vroman, Henry Clough, Darius Beebe.

RELIGIOUS.

St. Johns German Lutheran Church.—A society was organized about 1870, by Rev. Jacob Raible, of Kalamazoo. The present frame church building was erected in 1874, on land purchased for church and burial purposes from F. Bastian. Rev. Mr. Raible has held services alone at this church until the present time, except during a part of the year 1879, when Rev. Robert Hoeck also preached. The present membership of the church is about 12 families. The church is located in the southern part of town.

SCHOOLS.

The first school district organized in what is now Brady was that at present known as fractional district No. 1, in the northwest corner. The second is still known as No. 2, lying east of the village of Vicksburg. A neat brick school-house was built in 1874, near the residence of William Jenkinson. No. 3 was next on the list. In the winter of 1839-40 a school was taught, probably by Harrison Whaley, in a log house built for a dwelling by a man named Brooks. The building had been vacated and was utilized for a temporary school-house. A log school building was erected about 1841-42, near the present residence of J. M. Beebe, on a knoll which was known as "Mount Zion," the "Hill of Science," etc., and was used a number of years. This school-house was the scene of many lively occurrences in the " pioneer days."

Thanks are tendered to John W. Darling and wife, J. M. Beebe, P. Bohner, D. E. Rishel, Bradley S. Williams, of Kalamazoo, and numerous others, who have assisted in the compilation of the foregoing sketch.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES

William B. Clement was Born in Johnstown, Montgomery Co., N. Y., Nov. 4, 1805. His father, Lambert Clement, was born June 4,1757, in Johnstown, where he grew to manhood, and became a farmer. He reared a family of seven sons and one daughter. At the breaking out of the Revolutionary war he was captain of the Johnstown militia company, which was called into active service. Mr. Clement served through the war, and was in many battles and skirmishes. He was present at the surrender of Burgoyne, and came home a colonel. At the close of the war he sold his farm in Johnstown, and moved into the west part of Montgomery County, where he bought a new farm. This he owned until 1837, when he moved into Ohio, where he resided with his son, Richard, until his death, in 1843. When William B. was twelve years old he went to learn the blacksmith trade of Judge Hulburt, with whom he remained five years. He then worked as a journeyman in the cities of Albany, Troy, and other towns; in this way perfecting himself in his trade, when nineteen he built a house and shop in Pleasant Valley, and worked on his own account. He remained there three years, then went to the Black River country, where he built a shop and house. Remained there three years, losing his health during the time by hard work. The next three years he spent his summers in Saratoga. In 1835, his health having improved, he came to Michigan, and in the town of Marshall, Calhoun Co., located the southwest quarter of section 12. On this farm he made fine improvements and built good buildings. He also built a brick house in Marshall. In 1849 he sold his farm, and went to Pine Grove, Van Buren Co., where he built a steam saw-mill. Here he had two mills burned, but he persevered, and built a third, which his son now owns.

In 1860, Mr. Clement bought a farm in Oshtemo, which he greatly improved, and built a fine house and barns. Also owned three sections of land in Missouri, which he bought of the government, and from which he realized a handsome profit. In 1863 he sold his Oshtemo farm, and moved into the village of Kalamazoo, where he has built three fine houses. In 1879 he moved with his wife into the town of Brady, on the Clement farm, where he still resides. In politics Mr. Clement is a Democrat. April 16, 1826, he married Miss Sybil Peters, daughter of James Peters. Children,—Margaret, born May 4, 1827; James L., March 3, 1830; Charles A., Sept. 3, 1834, Timothy, Aug. 7, 1837; Seth N., Sept. 26, 1840; William P., May 10, 1842; George, Sept. 17, 1844 ; Mary, Oct 1, 1846; Amy A. and Emily Jane (twins), Dec. 24, 1860. Amy A. died Dec. 18, 1852.

Among the early settlers in Kalamazoo County were the families of Elisha Doane and Reed Darling; the former coming in as early as 1829, the latter some years later. Reed Darling was born in Springfield, Mass., about the year 1785. When he was eleven years old his father moved to Bethlehem, Albany Co., N. Y., where he grew to manhood. He learned the ship-carpenters trade, and for several years worked in the city of Albany. He was for four years police constable. On the breaking out of the war of 1812 he enlisted in Capt. Van Wees' company of infantry, and served several months on Long Island, where he was finally discharged. In the fall of 1834 he came to Michigan, and the following year located one hundred and sixty acres of land on the banks of Portage Lake, in what is now the town of Mendon. He built a log house and sent for his family, and the same season saw them settled in the new home. But he lived only a short time to enjoy it, dying in 1837, followed a few months later by his wife, who was a Miss Mary Wayne. They had a family of five children, of whom John W. Darling was tho fourth, born in Bethlehem. Sept. 7, 1816. He received a common- school education. Mr. Darling came to Michigan with his father's family, and remained with them until the death of his parents. He then worked by (he month at whatever he could get to do, most of the time in saw-mills, in Flowerfield and Vicksburg. In 1838 he located the southwest quarter of section 27, in Brady. In 1844, under the pre- emption law, he received a deed of land, and his start in life was made. Having built a log house he, in 1841, moved his newly-married wife into it, and commenced to improve and clear up his farm. This farm he still owns except fifteen acres, and to it he has added forty acres, on which he has built a good house and outbuildings, and where he intends to pass the remainder of his days. In the spring of 1851, with a party composed of his friends and neighbors, he started for California, going by the overland route and being five months on the road. At Council Bluffs they were joined by others, making a party of about two hundred. Finding it impossible to feed so much stock by the way, they divided up into small parties, Mr. Darling's being composed of twenty-eight men. Their journey through the Indian country was attended by many hardships and dangers. They had several skirmishes with the Indians, and two of their party were killed. Arrived in California he ran a sawmill for a short time, then for eighteen months engaged in mining, meeting with fair success. In March, 1853, he shipped in the steamer "Brother Jonathan" for San Juan del Sur. Then crossed the Isthmus and took passage in the ship "Proteus" for New York, where he landed in March, and on the 28th of the same mouth reached home. In politics Mr. Darling was a Democrat until the formation of the Republican party, since when he has been a supporter of its principles. He has been justice of the peace, highway commissioner, and supervisor.

On the 4th day of March, 1840, Mr. Darling married Miss Mary Ann Doane, who was born in Lyme township, Huron Co., Ohio. Her father, Elisha Doane, was born in Worcester, Mass., in 1796. When a small boy his parents moved to Vermont, where they remained fifteen years, and then moved to Cayuga Co., N. Y. When but eighteen years old Mr. Doane started out in life for himself. He went to Huron Co., Ohio, which was then a new country, where lie married a Miss Chloe Miller. In 1829, with his family, he came to Michigan and located, on Prairie Ronde, the farm now known as the Edwin H. Lothrop farm, to whom he sold his claim. He then bought of the government eighty acres of land, which he owned a few years, when he sold it and built n saw-mill on the Indian reservation, which was the first one built in the town of Brady, and which was run by him. In 1854 he sold his mill and went to Mendon, where he and Mr. Darling surveyed and located the mill-power now owned by Mr. Wakeman. On this he built a double saw-mill, which he sold in 1850 and went to California, where he lived until his death, in 1872. Mr. Darling's family consisted of nine sons and three daughters, nine of them reaching adult age.

There have been born to Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Darling nine children, as follows: Elisha, born Jan. 13, 1841; Wayne, May 17, 1844, died Aug. 18, 1846; Warren, Juno 15, 1847; John M., Dec. 3, 1851, died Oct. 11, 1852; Frank, Jan. 31, 1854; John C, Feb. 23, 1856; Stewart, Nov. 27, 1860; Mary L., May 15, 1865; Grace, June 6, 1868, died Dec. 12, 1871.

JACOB KIMBLE

Was born in Wayne Co., Pa. His grandfather's family was driven away from his farm (which he had bought from the government; by the Indians, but went back to it as soon as peace was made. On this farm Benjamin, Jacob's father, lived until his death, in 1837. He cleared and improved the farm, and became a wealthy man. On the old homestead Jacob grew to manhood, working during summers and attending the district schools in the winters. His leisure hours were passed roaming through the forests in search of game, and he became famous as a hunter and marksman; a panther being one of his trophies. He remained with his father until his marriage, in 1820, when he built a house on the farm of his father, and ran a sawmill which his father had given him and his brother. In 1836, Mr. Kimble sold his interest in the mill and several hundred acres of timber, from which he realized one thousand dollars, he had become weary of rocky farms, and in June of that year, with his wife and three children, in a wagon, moved to Holmes Co., Ohio, where he had a brother. Not liking the country, he again traveled Westward, stopping in Calhoun Co., Mich., where he rented a farm. A few months later he came to the Indian reservation in St. Joseph and Kalamazoo Counties, aud located a farm of one hundred and sixty acres in the town of Park, on which he built a log house and planted an orchard. The Indians were then living on the reservation, and the same party that murdered Wisner came to his residence when Mrs. Kimble was alone with her children and a neighbor's girl, and demanded admittance; but finding the door too strong, finally went away. In 1840 he bought L. C. Kimble's claim to the southwest quarter of section 31, in Brady. On this he built a house and log barn, and began to improve; but he was not to see the fruition of his hopes, and in his death the county lost one of its most useful pioneers. After his death Mrs. Kimble continued to manage the farm, and when it came into market, proved her pre-emption and received a deed for the same, and still owns it. Mr. Kimble married, Sept. 15, 1826, Miss Margaret Adams, who was born Feb. 8, 1809. Their union was blessed with four children, vis., Amelia, born Aug. 3, 1827; William, Oct. 17, 1829; Eunice, Oct. 27, 1831; and Elizabeth, June 29, 1837.

HARMAN T. CLEMENT
Was born in Montgomery Co., N. Y., Feb. 9, 1798. When fourteen years old he went to live with the Shakers, in Watervliet, Albany Co., N. Y., with whom he resided seventeen years, learning the trade of a carpenter and millwright. In 1823 he went to Troy, N. Y., and worked in the United States Arsenal about two years. In 1835 he came to Michigan and worked at his trade near Detroit, and in 1837 went to Marshall, where he helped to build the stone mill; also helped build the first grist-mill in Allegan, and the Emery-mills near Marshall. He also worked at his trade in Aurora, HI., building grist-mills. In 1841 he came to Kalamazoo, and soon after married Mrs. Jacob Kimble. Ho at once went to work on her farm, clearing and improving, and making it the premium farm of the county. He built one of the finest houses in the township, and surrounded it with large and fine out- buildings. The premium-money paid on the farm bought Mrs. Clement's second set of silver spoons; her first set being earned while she lived in Pennsylvania. She also kept boarders, many of the early pioneers having boarded with her until they could make homes for themselves. In 1851, Mr. Clement went by water to California, arriving there in the winter of 1851-52. He built mills on Feather River, receiving ten dollars per day and board. In 1853 he returned, and again took charge of the farm, on which he continued until his death, Feb. 5, 1871. He was a man of great force of character and very industrious, doing much to improve and build up the county. In politics he was a Democrat, but never sought office. He married Mrs. Jacob Kimble, Dec. 3, 1842. There was born to them one son, George M. D., Sept. 27, 1844, who married Miss Rosa B. Slack, of Mendon, St. Joseph Co. There have been born to them five children: Daisie S., March 2, 1870; Henry, Oct. 27, 1871; Lillie M., July 31, 1873; Bertha S., Jan. 17, 1876; George M. D, Jr., Sept. 10, 1878.

CHARLES KIMBLE was born in Connecticut, where his father resided until his emigration at an early day to Wayne Co., Pa.; he being among the first to settle in this part of the State. His father, Walter, was a soldier in the Revolutionary war prior to his settlement. After locating in Pennsylvania, the Indians becoming hostile towards the whites, Mr. Kimble was compelled to leave his home about the time of the Wyoming massacre. After peace was made he again returned to his home and made a permanent settlement. On this farm Charles grew to manhood. Arrived at majority, he started in life for himself, adopting farming as a calling. He became a prominent man, and was widely known as a successful farmer. In 1836 he sold his farm; and in the spring of 1837, with his wife and six children, came with a team and wagon to Michigan, being twenty-one days on the road. They reached Brady township, in Kalamazoo County, on the 4th of July, 1837, and located on the farm now owned by his son Lewis. It was on the Indian reservation and was not then in the market, and Mr. Kimble became "a squatter." He built a log house and commenced to improve his farm. In 1838 the pre-emption law was passed, and Mr. Kimble established his claim, and Oct. 10, 1840, received a deed for a quarter- section, on which he remained until his death, which occurred Nov. 20, 1852. The obituary notice published of him said, "There are many singular incidents connected with the history of Mr. Kimble, as well as interesting traditional events handed down to the present generation by his social and familiar character. AH the hardships and trials consequent to an early settlement in a remote wilderness, surrounded by wild beasts hungering for prey and by savage tribes remembering the white man's aggressions, were a part of his experience, and the subject of his frequent tales to the grandchildren upon his knee. He was liberal to a fault, open-hearted in all things, and never failed to impress upon the minds of all who knew him his integrity and kindness of heart."

LEWIS C. KIMBLE, who was the second child of Charles Kimble, was born in Dyberry township, Wayne Co., Pa., Jan. 12, 1815. He was the oldest of the family who came to Michigan, and had almost full charge of the farm from the start. He was young and strong, and had been brought up to work, and the clearing and improving was due mainly to his labor and management. After paying for their laud they had but little left and saw many privations. They were the second family of settlers in the town, and Lewis C. is now the oldest living settler. He has lived to sec the wilderness grow into a prosperous and populous township. When Mr. Kimble's people came to Brady, Schoolcraft, Brady, and Wakeshma were all one. Schoolcraft was set off in 1841, the other two being left as Brady. Mr. Wilcox was the first supervisor and held it two terms. Mr. Kimble, although quite young, was next elected, and has held the office fourteen terms, being more terms than any other man has ever held the office in the count v. When first elected he was poor. He had no horse, and used to walk to Kalamazoo to attend the meetings of the board, and return on foot, making a thirty-six miles walk. He has also been town treasurer, and is now serving his fourth term as justice of the peace. He has in his official positions worked for the best interests of his township, and filled the offices with credit to himself and his constituents. In politics, Democratic; in religion, liberal. On the 13th day of October, 1844, he married Miss Amanda M. Osborn, daughter of Judge Nathan Osborn, who was born Dec. 2, 1825, and died June 16, 1853. Their union was blessed with four children, as follows: E. Ransom, born July 29, 1845; Ann Vennette, Jan. 17, 1848; Lorinda, Oct. 19, 1849, died Aug. 6, 1850; and James E., Nov. 16, 1850. For his second wife Mr. Kimble married Mrs. Elizabeth A. Seymour, who was born Fob. 24, 1811. They have one child, Lewis S., born Jan. 24, 1856.

SAMUEL SHEARER, of whom this sketch is written, was among the first settlers of the town of Brady. He was born in Dutchess Co., N. Y., Feb. 22, 1811. The death of his parents, when he was seven years old, left him almost friendless. From that time he lived among strangers, doing whatever he could find to do. In this way he lived until he reached man's estate, early learning lessons which made him well fitted for a pioneer. At the age of nineteen he went to Wayne Co., Pa., and worked on a farm for Moses Kellam five years. He then, for a year or two, rafted on the Delaware River, leading a life of adventure and hardship. In 1830 he came to Michigan, by the way of Detroit. From Detroit he came with a team to Brady township, in Kalamazoo County, where he settled on the northwest quarter of section 31. It was then all new; his nearest neighbor was at Parkville, in St. Joseph County, seven miles away.

After locating his land he went to Allegan, driving the first loaded team from Allegan to Kalamazoo. In Allegan he worked for a Mr. Bailey, drawing supplies from Allegan to Kalamazoo for his mills. Worked at this two years. When his land came into market in 1842 he had saved from his earnings money enough to pay for it, and that was all. He moved upon his farm and built a log house, and commenced to improve and clear it. He lived alone, taking his meals with Thomas Smith, a bachelor. In 1838 he married Miss Fanny Smalley, who was born in Somerset Co., N. J., Oct. 24, 1811. She was daughter of Elias and Catherine Smalley. They were married on Wednesday, and the next Monday took their goods in a wagon and started for the farm in Brady, Mrs. Shearer going on foot. Their neighbors were Indians; wolves howled around their house by night, and the deer browsed in sight by day. When Wisner was murdered by an Indian, Mr. Shearer and Mr. Nolan pursued and caught him. On the farm he cleared and improved Mr. Shearer lived until his death, Oct. 17, 1872. He was a true friend and valuable citizen, one whom to know was to respect and esteem. Was a Democrat in politics. There have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Shearer the following children: Mary Jane, born April 5, 1843 (married to Daniel J. Fort, who was born Jan. 7, 1840; their children are as follows: Alonzo, born April 15, 1867; Berdena, Dec. 16, 1869; and Ethelinda, June 1, 1871, died Dec. 11, 1878); Theodore Shearer, born Feb. 10, 1847 (married Mary Jane Cooper, who was born July 28, 1851. They have two children, Samuel R., born Jan. 29, 1876, and John T., April 26, 1878).

JACOB LEMON, was born in Little Britain, Orange Co., N. Y., April 8, 1815, and was the fifth of eleven children. His father, Samuel Lemon, owned a small farm, which he cultivated when he was not working at his trade,—that of a stone mason. In 1831 he bought fifty acres of wild land in Chemung Co., N. Y., and moved his family upon it, putting them into a shingle shanty. He then started for Orange County to get his goods, when, hearing that the man-of-war in which one of his sons had made a long voyage was lying in the harbor at New York, he took passage in a sloop for the city to sec him. On the trip he was knocked overboard by a boom and drowned. His untimely death left his wife in straitened circumstances, with seven children at home, Jacob, then a lad of sixteen, being the eldest. Thus Jacob found himself the head of a large family. But he was no stranger to toil. At the age of eight years his father had put him in the cotton-factory of Horace Capron & Co., which was the first one built in the State, and was located on the Wallkill, in the village of Waldron. Here he worked two years. Previous to this he had attended school but a few weeks, hence his educational advantages were very limited. After leaving the factory he worked on a farm by the month, turning his wages over to his parents. After the death of his father he cut the logs and built a log house on the farm, into which he moved his mother and family. The farm was all new, and Mr. Lemon had to work out by the day and month to provide the family with food, many a time carrying home on his back across the mountain the flour he had earned through the day. He remained on the farm until he had improved thirty acres, and had the family well provided for. On the 23d day of April, 1835, with but two dollars and fifty cents in his pocket, and a linen knapsack containing a suit of home-made clothes and one shirt, he, with three others, of about the same age, started on foot for Michigan. On the way they lived on crackers and bologna, paying six-pence for their lodging. At Dunkirk they took deck- passage for Detroit, paying one dollar and fifty cents fare. To enable himself to get through, Mr. Lemon borrowed of Robert Cassidy, the rich boy of the party (who had forty dollars), two dollars and a half. From Detroit they tramped through to Livingston County, where they stayed a few days, and then went on farther west. In Shiawassee County they halted; and hearing that there was but little to do in the new country, and having no friends, as had his companions, Mr. Lemon resolved to turn his steps towards Ann Arbor, where he had been told work could be had. On parting with his friends he let them have his rifle, which they were to leave at Mr. Parshell's, where he agreed to have the money he had borrowed by the next 4th of July; and he kept his word, though to do so he walked seventy-five miles, only to find that the boys had sold his rifle and gone back to New York. Thirty years after, Mr. Lemon met Mr. Cassidy, and paid to him tho two dollars and a half, with interest. While looking around Ann Arbor he one day met Alanson Holcomb, of whom he inquired for work. Mr. Holcomb replied that he was forty miles from home, and knew no one who wanted help but himself. A bargain was soon made, by which he agreed to work for eleven dollars per month, and to report the next Monday. For Mr. Holcomb he worked until the 1st of July, receiving twenty dollars. This was more than his wages, but Mr. Holcomb told him he had earned it, and to keep it. This was the first money he earned in Michigan. Mr. Lemon still remembers, with grateful feelings, Mr. Holcomb and his family, who treated him with great kindness. In the fall of 1835, Mr. Lemon bought of the government forty acres of laud near Grass Lake, in Jackson County. This he sold the following year. In December, 1835, with a letter of recommendation from Wm. R. Thompson, of Ann Arbor, he went to Detroit, and obtained a situation with a stage-route company, and with a coach-and-four drove to Chicago, then a small village, and was placed on the route from Chicago to Little Calumet. Two months afterwards he was put in charge of the route from Chicago to Michigan City, and had full charge of the company's business and property. He held the position eighteen months. In 1836 his mother came with her family to Michigan, and settled in Scio, Washtenaw County, where they remained a short time, and then moved into Livingston County, where Mrs. Lemon died in 1854. In 1838, Mr. Lemon quit the stage-route, and with his young wife and their goods, in a horse "jumper," moved into Lake Co., Ind. The following spring he entered, in Lake County, two hundred and forty acres of land, paying part to the man who took the deed, and who was to give him a deed when he paid the balance. Through sickness he failed to raise the money, and lost the land and what he had paid. The summer of 1840 he passed in Springfield and Rushville, Ill., driving stage. Of his wages he saved one hundred and twenty-five dollars, with which he came to Brady township, in Kalamazoo County, where he intended to buy land. Not finding any at once, he loaned his money and lost all but five dollars. In the fall of 1841 he bought of the Widow Watkins her claim upon the south half of the northwest quarter of section 25 in Brady, and built a small log house on it, doing all the work himself. Into this he moved his family on the 22d of November of that year. The land coming into market in the spring of 1843, he pre-empted it, the pre-emption money to be paid within one year. In May of that year, with but seven dollars in his pocket, he set out on foot for Peru, Ill., where he took deck-passage on a steamer bound for St. Louis. From St. Louis he went to Burlington, Ia., where he worked four months for ten dollars per mouth. This would not pay for his land, and the following October found him again sailing down the Mississippi, and bringing up in New Orleans nearly out of money. He soon found employment driving a public hack; drove but a week, when he was taken sick. Three weeks sickness found him without a cent, and in debt for his board. Three weeks was then spent in a fruitless search for work. He was about giving up in despair, when he one day met a German, who referred him to a Mr. Burgess, a Frenchman, who was proprietor of one of the finest livery- barns in the city. After a few days of anxious waiting, Mr. Burgess gave him a hack to drive, Mr. Lemon to have one-third of the net. proceeds. The business proved lucrative, and the following May, with money enough to pay for his land, he returned to Michigan. The farm thus bought and paid for has been improved and added to, until Mr. Lemon now owns four hundred and thirteen acres of beautiful land, finely improved, with a large and elegant house and many and well-arranged outbuildings. In politics, Mr. Lemmon is a Republican, and has served on the Board of Supervisors, although living in a strong Democratic township. During the war of the Rebellion no one in Brady gave his money more freely or supported the government more cheerfully. He is a professor of religion, although not now a member of any orthodox church. He married Miss Annie Spicer, Jan. 1,1838. She was born April 28, 1822; daughter of Win. and Lydia Spicer. She died Feb. 11, 1847. Their union was blessed with four children, viz., Almina, born Sept. 14, 1839, died Jan. 31, 1852; Lydia, Oct. 18, 1841, died July 18, 1847; Mary Jane, July 18, 1843; and Amie, Jan. 6, 1847. Mr. Lemon married, 0ct. 18, 1847, Miss Hannah Spicer (sister of his first wife), who was born May 13, 1827. There have been born for them the following children: Nora, born Dec. 11, 1848; James N., Sept. 6, 1850, died Feb. 10, 1852; Sarah, Sept. 6, 1852; George, Sept. 29, 1854, died Aug. 8, 1857; Frank E.,Nov. 1,1856, died Feb. 1,1866; Ida and Eva, Oct. 25, 1858, Ida died in March, 1860; John, Oct. 3, 1860, died Sept. 7, 1869; Charles, June 3, 1863; Fred, March 20, 1865; Sanford, Feb. 19, 1867; and Frank R., March 14, 1870.

Home

Backgrounds By Marie