Line Divider

KALAMAZOO TOWNSHIP
History

Line Divider

NATURAL FEATURES.

Geography. — The present township of Kalamazoo includes town 2 south, in range 11 west, of the principal meridian, as shown by the government survey. Its southeast corner is at the centre of the county. It is bounded north by Cooper township, east by Comstock, south by Portage, and west by Oshtemo.

Lakes and Wafer-Courses.—The principal water-course of the township is the Kalamazoo River, which enters from the east on section 24, and after a sharp bend at the village to the north finally passes from the township on the north side of section 3. In its course its channel is divided by several islands. The principal branch of the Kalamazoo in this town is the Portage Creek, which unites with the main stream at Kalamazoo, after a general northerly course of several miles. Other and smaller branches are Arcadia Creek, Spring Brook, etc. A few small lakes are found, among them being Lime, Twin (partly on section 6), McMartin, Wood's, Howard, and Booher.

Topography, etc.— The general level of the township is about 100 feet above the Kalamazoo, which is lined by a range of considerable hills, or river bluffs, broken by the passage through them of the smaller streams. Grand Prairie, so called, lies partly in this town, including tho western portion of the latter.

LAND ENTRIES.

The following is a list of the entries of land in what is now the township of Kalamazoo (T. 2 S., R. 11 W.), and gives the consecutive entries on each section, with the names of the persons making them:

Section 1.—1833, James White, James Shea; 1834, H. H. Comstock, John Long and Samuel Veness, James Shea; 1835, Horace H. Comstock.

Section 2,— 1834, Kraut us Congdon and Jonathan 0. Round, Charles 8. Whitman; 1835, Thomas C. Sheldon, John Jenison Barnard, Joseph D. Beers and Samuel Sherwood, Nathaniel Livermore, Thomas Kennard.

Section 3.-—1834, John Jenison Barnard, Ernstus Congdon and Jonathan Round, Joseph Bowman; 1835, Silas Trowbridge, James B. Murray; 1836, Justus Burdick; 1851. Alexander Buell and Marcellus C. Churchill.

Section 4.—1833, Titus Bronson, Isaac M. Parker; 1834, Aquilla Coates, William Underwood, Titus Bronson, Chauncey Burrell; 1835, Samuel Hubbard, Aquilla Coates; 1836, Justus Burdiok.

Section 5.—1834, David Hubbard, John P. Warner; 1835, Dwight Hitchcock and Frederick W. Curtenius, Calvin H. Bryant, Fletcher Ransom, Amariah T. Pronty, Hiram Owen, Joseph D. Beers, and Samuel Sherwood.

Section 6.—1834, Lovett Eames, Daniel Wilmarth, John P. Marsh; 1836, Fletcher Ransom, Delamore Duncan, William S. Dezong, Aaron Karnes, John P. Marah, James Parker; 1836, Charles C. Trowbridge.

Section 7.—University of Michigan.

Section 8.—1831, Seth Taft, (Jcorge Shaw, Titus Bronson; 1832, Titus Bronson; 1833, Titus Bronson, Daniel Wilmarth: 1834, Sally

Bronson, Daniel Wilmarth and Timothy H. Fellows, Seth Taft, Joseph Miller; 1835, Seth Taft, Epaphroditus Ransom, Cyrus Lorell. Section 9.—1831, Nathan Harrison, Sally Bronson: 1832, Nathan Harrison, Lyman I. Daniels, Cyren Burdick ; 1834, Jonathan G. Abbott, Cornelius Northrup; 1835, Roswell Crane, Leonard Bronson, Horace Starkweather; 1836, Justus Burdick.

Section 10.—1831, Horace Starkweather, John W. Clark; 1833, Jonathan G. Abbott, David S. Dillie; 1834, Silas Trowbridge, Augustin Austin; 1835, Abraham Cahill, Titus Bronson, Luther H. Trask; 1836, Justus Burdick; 1861, Thomas 8. At Lee.

Station 11.—1831, John A. Clark ; 1834, William Underwood, Eliza Sisson, Jacob Leephart; 1S35, William Underwood, Jacob Leephart, Joseph D. Beers, and Samuel Sherwood.

Section 12.—1833, James White, Isaac Vickery, Richard J. Huyck; 1834, Herman Joachim, Chester Wright, James Jacobs; 1835, Herschel B. Seymour, David E. Evans, William R. Gwinn and John S. Ganson, Herman Logan, Joseph H. Hutchins.

Section 13.—1833, Thomas Goodrich, Isaac Vickery; 1834, Ariel Hoskins; 1335, Guy Carlton Merrill, Thomas Goodrich, EH B.Anderson, Walter Stephens, Daniel Howard, Samuel Hubbard, and Isaac Parker.

Section 14.—1831, Almeron L. Cotton; 1832, Henry L. Ellsworth, Lucius Lyon; 1833, Theodore P. Sheldon and Thomas C. Sheldon; 1834, Aaron Schuyler and Randall Schuyler, Aaron Schuyler, Elisha Belcher, Horace H. Comstocks; 1835, Walter Stephens. Section 15.—1830, Stephen H. Richardson, Titus Bronson 1832, Elisha Hall, Lucius Lyon, Justus Burdick, Elias San ford Swan, Nathan Harrison,

Section 16.—School section.

Section 17.—West fraction (12 1/2 acres) entered by David B. Webster, April 15, 1847; balance University land.

Section 18 and 19.—University lands.

Section 20.—1831, Martin Daley; 1834, Alexander H. Edwards, Enos Northrop, David S. Dillie, Chauncey Burrell; 1835, Alexander H. Edwards, John Payne.

Section 21.—1831, David S. Dillie and L. Seymour, Hosea B. Huston; 1832, Jonathan G. Abbott, Anthony Cooley, Resin Holmes, Hosea B.Huston; 1833-34,Silas Trowbridge; 1835 Thomas Masters, Jonathan G. Abbott.

Section 22.—1831, Robert and James Smith, H. H. Comstock, Titus Bronson, Reuben Winohell; 1832, Cyren Burdick, Hosea B. Huston; 1833, Lucius Lyon ; 1834, Cyren Burdick.

Section 23.—1832, Justus Burdick; 1833, Theodore P. Sheldon and Thomas C. Sheldon, David S. Dillie; 1834, Samuel Mower, Martin Lathrop, H. H. Comstock, H. B. Huston.

Section 24.—1834, Martin Lathrop, H. H. Comstock, Hosea B. Huston; 1835, David Hale, James Walker, Ira W. Bird; 1837, Lot M. North.

Section 25.—1833, Marcus B. Hounsom; 1834, James Losey, Nathan Perry, Jr., John Williams, James Coleman, Andrew Harrison, James Coleman, Jr.; 1835, James Andrews, Josephus Gregg, T. P. Sheldon, James Coleman, Jr., Nathan Harrison, Ira Burdick, and Alexander H. Edwards.

Section 26.—1831, Joseph Edgington; 1833, Joseph Edgington, Cicero and Tobias Hounsom, James Shea, Elisha Hall; 1834, H. H. Comstock, Nathan Harrison.

faction 27.—1831, H. H. Comstock; 1834, Martin Heydenburk, Lawrence Van Do Walker; 1835, Martin Heydenburk, Leprelett H. Moore.

Section 28.—1834, Parse Barber, Lawrence Vandewalker; 1835, Frederick Booker, Joseph Edgington, Oliver C. Hill, John C. Baldwin, William Booher, James Hutching, and Cyren Burdick.

Section 29.—1833, Daniel Wilmarth ; 1834, Thomas C. Sheldon; 1835, Thomas W. Barnard, John Payne, Reuben Abbott, William Booher, Henry J. H. Edwards, Margaret L. Coombs; 1838, Thomas S. At Lee, George A. O'Brien.

Section 30.—1831, Phineas Hunt; 1833, David Van Guilder, Allen Smith; 1834, Ogden Smith, David and Campbell Sergeant; 1835, Rodolpbus D. Loring, John H. Smith, Henry Little; 1836, Aaron Van Guilder.

Section 31.—1831, Enoch Harris; 1832, William Patterson, John Gibbs; 1834, Elias Cooley; 1835, Almon Fuller, Leprelett H. Moore, Stephen A. Love, John Gibbs; 1838, Joseph Hutchins,

Section 32.—1833, Thomas W. Barnard; 1834, Isaac Stephens, Alexander McCall, Alexander Cameron; 1835, Alexander Cameron, Cyrus Hubbard, Moses Barnard, and Johnson Patrick.

Section 33.—1834, Frederick Booher; 1835, L. H. Moore, Nathan Sherwood, Alexander McCall, William A. Tomlinson, and William A. Booth; 1836, Parce Barber.

Section 34.—1831, Ruel Starr and H. H. Comstock, Reuben Winchell, H. H. Comstock; 1834, Nathan Sherwood.

Section 35.—1831, Ruel Starr; 1833, Stephen Vickery, John Nenicka, Philip Goodrich; 1835, Thomas C. Sheldon.

Section 36.—1833, David B. Barnard and Chester Cook; 1834, Elias Cooley, Henry Johnson; 1835, Elias Cooley, James H. Jones, Chester Johnson, Anthony Cooley and Stephen Vickery, Elijah R. Squier and Philip Goodrich, Warren Beckwith.

EARLY SETTLEMENT.

The early settlement of the village of Kalamazoo, which is fully treated in its proper place, is essentially that of the township, as the business of the region centered there, and few located outside at a very early day. In the list of those who entered the lands of the township will be found the names of many who lived in tho village, while their purchases lay outside of its boundaries. Upon Grand Prairie were located several prominent persons, but more were in Oshtemo than in Kalamazoo.

Tertius Strong and two brothers named Sabin and Ezra Nichols, who purchased their land from second hands, were early settlers in the northwest part of town. James Parker located farther south, and his son, Isaac M. Parker, entered land on section 4 in 1833, and also became a resident.

Daniel Wilmarth, Lovett and Aaron Karnes, Benjamin Drake,—who is still living, aged ninety-two years,—the latter's brother-in-law, Seth Taft, who afterwards went to Utah with the Mormons, and died there, and a man named Keyes, settled along the town line, between Kalamazoo and Oshtemo, some of them being in the latter township. Keyes subsequently removed to Illinois.

Dr. Fletcher Ransom, of whom the Nichols brothers purchased, was a prominent resident of the prairie, and finally removed to Alamo township.

George Harvey, Ansel Snow, Solomon and Nathan Forbes, and Ira Smith were all living in the western part of this township (Kalamazoo) in 1835.

Col. Frederick W. Curtenius came the same year, and is now one of the most prominent citizens of the village of Kalamazoo.

Henry Montague and Moses Kingsley settled early on the prairie, in Oshtemo. Montague soon after became a resident of Kalamazoo township, and Mr. Kingsley also removed subsequently to the village, where he still resides. Moses Barnard, who had been a classmate in college with Daniel Webster, settled early in the southwest part of the township, with his son, Thomas Wilson Barnard, the latter entering land on section 32 in 1833, and his father on the same section in 1835. Both are now deceased.

John, Isaac, and Chester Gibbs were prominent settlers in the same neighborhood with the Barnards, John locating on section 31 and his brothers over the line in Oshtemo. Peter Cavanagh, a bachelor, made his home with the Messrs. Gibbs.

L. H. Trask, of Kalamazoo, relates an incident which occurred in the spring of 1836, when West Main Street had just been opened up in the village. He was proceeding along the said street, and met three persons who proved to be Moses Barnard, John Gibbs, and "Pete" Cavanagh, as he was familiarly called. Mr. Trask greeted the trio, who were walking arm in arm, with "Good-evening, gentlemen." Bracing their hold and steadying themselves,— for they had evidently been visiting at some one of the groceries in the village,—they paused. Barnard, with a wise nod, remarked, "United we (hie) stand; devid {hie) ed we fall!" and the remarkable journey was continued.

D. J. Pierson, now residing on his farm on section 8, a short distance outside of the corporation limits, moved to Branch Co., Mich., in 1831, from Litchfield Co., Conn., and located on Bronson Prairie, where he engaged in tavern- keeping. During his residence there he was married, the ceremony being performed by Governor Barry, of White Pigeon. Mr. Pierson's wife died subsequently in Kalamazoo, and he was married a second time in 1855. In the spring of 1833, Mr. Pierson removed to Kalamazoo County, and settled on section 24, in Oshtemo, on the southern edge of Grand Prairie. A year or two later he purchased University land on section 19, in Kalamazoo, and moved upon it. He subsequently resided for a short period in Alamo, and for a longer one in Oshtemo, and in the spring of 1854 moved to Kalamazoo village, where he became the owner of considerable property, including the fine lots west of Bronson Park, and the American Hotel, which was subsequently destroyed by fire. When he first came to the county he anticipated the rush for land which occurred soon after, and selected and entered twenty lots of 80 acres each, in Oshtemo, Pavilion, etc.

In other portions of the township land was often occupied and improved by those who had formerly resided in the village, and, as a very full list of settlers is given in connection with the history of the latter, the reader is referred to it. Preserved S. Wait, now living on section 36, was comparatively an early arrival, and was engaged in the construction of some of the early mills. The Wait family was connected by marriage with that of John A. Hays, of Kalamazoo, whose house was demolished by a hurricane in 1834. The advantages of water-power possessed by the Portage Creek and its branches were early noticed and utilized. The wheel of Bronson's saw-mill was turned by the waters of the Portage in 1832. Marcus B. Hounsom, who had erected the mill for Bronson, not long afterwards built one for himself, on what is called Silver Creek, a small branch of the Kalamazoo, and in July, 1837, a highway was laid out running to "Hounsom's Mill," being the same road now passing east and west through the centre of section 26. Mr. Hounsom and his brothers, Fabius and Cicero, are all deceased. The widow of Cicero, who afterwards married Fabius, and was a second time widowed, is still living on the old place.

The mill now owned by Merrill & McCourtie, on a small stream emptying into the Portage from the west, on section 34, was built about 1837-38 by Elias Cooley and his brothers, Thomas and Arad. Another mill, standing a short distance below, near the track of the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway, has been erected within recent years, and is the property of J. P. Woodbury, of Kalamazoo.

Saw-mills have been put in operation in other localities in the township; these include one now in use, owned by G. W. Parker, son of Isaac M. Parker, on section 4, and another on Silver Creek, section 24. The "Spring Brook" grist-mill, owned by Whitcomb & Williams, on section 11, is more particularly mentioned in the history of Kalamazoo village.

The extensive mills of the Kalamazoo Paper Company are located on section 34, the power being furnished by the Portage Creek. This mill is one of the largest in the country, having a capacity second to but few in nil the land. A full account of it will be found in the history of the manufactures of Kalamazoo.

TOWNSHIP ORGANIZATION, CIVIL LIST,
PROCEEDINGS AT EARLY TOWN-MEETINGS, ETC.

The first township organized, covering what is now Kalamazoo County, was formed Nov. 5, 1821), and called Brady. On the 30th of July, 1830, the county of Kalamazoo was organized and divided into two townships, as follows: The eight surveyed townships constituting its north half were given the name of Arcadia; while the same number, constituting the south half, were organized under the name of Brady. Section one of the act forming these two townships reads as follows:

The first township organized, covering what is now Kalamazoo County, was formed Nov. 5, 1829, and called Brady. On the 30th of July, 1830, the county of Kalamazoo was organized and divided into two townships, as follows: The eight surveyed townships constituting its north half were given the name of Arcadia; while the same number, constituting the south half, were organized under the name of Brady. Section one of the act forming these two townships reads as follows:

"Be it enacted by the Legislative Council of the Territory of Michigan. That all that part of the county of Kalamazoo comprised in townships 1 and 2, south of the base line, and in ranges 9, 10, 11, and 12, west of the principal meridian, shall be a township by the name of Arcadia, and that the first township-meeting shall be holden at the house of Titus Brownson, in said township."

On the 29th of June 1832, the east half of Arcadia was organized into a separate township, to which was given the name of Richland, leaving Arcadia to include what are now the townships of Kalamazoo, Oshtemo, Alamo, and Cooper. March 2, 1836, the name of Arcadia was changed to Kalamazoo March 11, 1837, the township of Cooper was formed, including what are now Cooper and Alamo. March 22, 1839, the west half of Kalamazoo township was set off and separately organized under the name of Oshtemo, leaving Kalamazoo as it is at present, including township. 2 south, in range 11 west.

The act forming the township of Arcadia designated where the first township-meeting should be held, but did not specify the date although it would be understood that the proper time therefor would have been iu the spring following, viz , April, 1831. No record exists of such a meeting, however, the first recorded election having been held April 3, 1832. The account of the latter appears as follows in the original book of township records, where it was copied in 1833 by Hosea B. Huston, then township clerk, probably from loose papers on which the entries were made upon the date of the meeting,—

"At a meeting of voters of the township of Arcadia, holden on the first Monday is April, 1832, at the house of Titus Bronson, the following business was transacted, to wit: The meeting was called to order by Isaac Barnes, Justice of the Peace; Caleb Eldred was chosen Moderator, and, being duly sworn, Lovell Moore was chosen Clerk pro tern. The following officers was chosen by ballot to servo the town for (he year ensuing, viz.:

"Caleb Eldred, Supervisor; Leland Lane, Township Clerk; Anthony Cooley, Samuel Brown) N. E. Matthews, Commissioners of Highways; Resin Holmes, Leland Lane, and Simeon Mills, Assessors; Seth Taft, Collector; Seth Taft and William P. Giddings, Constables; John Barnes and Titus Bronson, Overseers of the Poor. Elected by ayes and noes, Isaac Briggs. Erastus Ransom, and Erastus Smith, Fence-Viewers; Titus Branson and Willard Mills, Pound-Masters; Ralph Tuttle, Simeon Mills, Stephen Eldred, Laban Keyes, Elenzer Hunt, William Logan and Nathan Harrison, Overseers of Highways; Erastus Ransom, Orville Barnes, John Abbott, John Hoscall, and William V. Giddings, School Commissioners. Also voted by ayes and noes that tho supervisor and township clerk be requested to forward the proceedings of the meeting to the Governor and Council, with a request that the same be sanctioned by them if they so cause so to do it also that the said supervisor and clerk be requested to draft a petition and forward as aforesaid for a division of this township, to take affect in one year from date. Voted to adjourn this meeting to tho house of Caleb Eldred, in Comstock village, on the day for holding their next annual meeting, April 2, 1832.

"Lovell Moore, Clerk pro tern.
Recorded April 12, 1832.
"Leland Lane, T. Clerk."

A special meeting was held Nov. 13,1832, of which Stephen Vickery was moderator. William P. Giddings was elected collector, and the sum of $100 was voted to be raised to defray the township expenses for the current year.

The meeting in 1833 was held at the house of Caleb Eldred, in Comstock, and in 1834 at the school-house in Bronson village (now Kalamazoo). In the latter it was voted to raise one hundred dollars for the destruction of wolves, and that four dollars be paid for every scalp taken in said town, until the one hundred dollars be expended, and after that time no person shall receive any compensation for wolf scalps the remainder of the year; also Voted, That the first certificate presented to the supervisor shall draw the first money, and so on until all the one hundred dollars shall be expended." In 1835, and in each year to 1838 inclusive, a similar sum was raised, the price per capita ranging from $4 to $6. In 1837 it was "Voted, To raise $500 to survey and fence the burying-ground." In 1838 the sum of $100 was raised for the support of the township poor. In 1842 it was " Voted, That the Bank of Michigan notes now in the treasury be disposed of to the best possible advantage at not less than fifty cents ou the dollar."

With the exception of the years from 1861 to 1866, inclusive, the records for which have in some manner become misplaced, and cannot at present be found, the following is a list of the officers of the township from 1833 to 1879 inclusive.

SUPERVISORS.

1833, Cyrus Lovell; 1834, Elisha Belcher; 1834, John P. Marsh; 1836-37, Cyrus Burdiok; 1838-89, Hosea B. Huston; 1810-41, Silas Trowbridge; 1842, Mitchell Hinsdale; 1843, Justus Burdick; 1844, Alexander Buell; 1845, David S. Walbridge; 1846, Anthony Cooley; 1847, Henry Acker; 1848, Hosea B. Huston; 1849, Alexander Buell; 1850, John Milham; 1851, William R. Watson; 1852, Eplphroditus Ransom; 1853, Frederick W. Curtenius; 1854, Israel Kellogg; 1855, Alexander Cameron; 1856, Allen Potter; 1857-60, Silas Hubbard ; 1861-66, record missing; 1867, Silas Hubbard; 1868, Henry E. Hoyt; 1869-7O, Silas Hubbard 1871-72, Henry W. Bush; 1873, Silas Hubbard; 1874-75, Henry W. Bush; 1876-79, Henry E. Hoyt.

TOWNSHIP CLERKS.

1833, Hosea B. Huston; 1834-35, Abraham Cahill; 1836, H. Gilbert: 1837, Dr. Edwin A. Atlee; 1838-49, Alexander H. Edwards; 1840, A. Brownson; 1841-42, Charles A. Sheldon; 1843, Volney Hascall; 1844, Charles A. Sheldon; 1845-46, George Thomas Clark; 1847, Paul W. H. Rawls; 1848, George Thomas Clark; 1849, William H. DeYoe, 1850, John M. Edwards; 1851, James P. Clapham; 1852, W. H. DeYoe; 1853-54, George L. Otis; 1855-60, George Torrey; 1861-66, records missing; 1867, Frank Little; 1868, Edwin W. DeYoe; 1869-72, Charles J. Weston; 1873-76, Denison B. Grocsbcck; 1877-78, Patrick H. Burke; 1879, A. Sidney Hays.

ASSESSORS.

1833, Phineas Hunt, M. B. Bounsom, Anthony Cooley; 1834, M. B. Hounsom, Laban Keyes, Daniel Edgington; 1835, Seth Taft, Laban Keyes, Henry Moore, Cyren Burdick, Elihu Russell; 1836, I. W. Willard, Aaron Eames, Philip Goodrich; 1837,SiUs E. Trowbridge, F. W. Curtenius, Philip Goodrich ; 1838, S.Trowbridge, John P. Marsh, Elihu Russell; 1839, Amos Brownson, Henry Montague, Elihu Russell; 1340, Elihu Russell, Henry F. Cook, Nelson Gibbs (Gibbs resigned, and Parce Barber was appointed, but he also resigned, and Frederick Booher recoived tho appointment); 1841, Warren Beckwith, Albert A. Smith, Luke Whitcomb; 1842, Alexander Buell, Elihu Russell; 1843, Isaac Vickery, Alfred Thomas (William R. Watson was subsequently chosen in place of Thomas); 1844, F. W. Curtenius, Isaac Vickery; 1845, F. W. Curtenius, Frederiok Booher ; 1846, Henry F. Cock, Warren Beckwith; 1847, Isaac Vickery, Henry F. Cock; 1848, William R. Watson, James Taylor; 1849, Silas Trowbridge, John Milham; 1850, Israel P. Kellogg, John Parker; 1851-52, John Milham, Alexander Buell; 1856, Silas Hubbard, F. W. Curtenius; 1857, Rollin Wood, Henry Montague.

COLLECTORS.

1833-34, Nathan Harrison; 1836, Ebenezer Walter; 1836, Lot M. North; 1837, Ira Burdick; 1838-40, Rollin Wood; 1841, William McAllister.

TREASURERS.

1839, P. B. Webster; 1840, H. B. Huston; 1841, Alexander Buell; 1812-44, Theodore P. Sheldon; 1845-47, Frederick E. Woodward; 1848, Samuel K. Selkrig; 1849-50, John C. Hays; 1851, John C. Beach; 1852, John G. Clark: 1853, Thomas C. Brownell; 1854, Hiram Underwood; 1855, Lewis C. Starkey; 1856, Charles M. Burdick; 1857, Oscar F. Coleman; 1858, James Green; 1859, Charles H. Brown; 1860, John G. Clark; 1861-66, records missing: 1867, Jacobus B. Barber; 1368, Hiram Underwood; 1869, James W. Taylor; 1870, Oscar F. Coleman; 1871, Stephen Large; 1872, Oscar F. Coleman; 1873-74, Ezra S. Sweet; 1875-76, Theron F. Giddings; 1877, Chauncey Gates; 1878-79, Edwin Burdick.

JUSTICES OF THE PEACE.

1836, Ira Burdick, Isaac Vickery, Pierce*1 Barber, D. E. Deming ; 1837, David Hubbard, Elisha Belcher, Seth Taft; 1838, Fletcher Ransom; 1839, George A. O'Brien 1840, William H. Welch; 1841, Henry Gilbert; 1842, Alexis Ransom; 1843, no record; 1844, Mitchell Hinsdale, Rollin Wood; 1845, Rollin Wood; 1846, Samuel A. Rice; 1847, Ebenezer Hoskins; 1848, Richard S. Gage, Lyman Kendall; 1849, Samuel A. Rice; 1850, George D. Rico, Alexis Ransom; 1851, Lyman Kendall; 1852, Arad C. Baleh, Elisba Landon; 1853, G. Fisher; 1854, John M. Edwards, Alex. Buell; 1855, Fletcher Ransom; 1856, Luther H. Trask; 1857, Thomas C. Brownell; 1858, John M. Edwards; 1859, Robert F. Judson; 1860, Rollin Wood; 1861-66, records missing; 1867, William W. Peck; 1868, William Fletcher; 1869, James H. Bostwick; 1870, Amos D. Allen; 1871, Peter A. Beebe; 1872, James M. Davis; 1873, James W. Hopkins; 1874, Amos D. Allen; 1875, Rufus H. Grosvonor; 1876, James M. Davis; 1877, Lawrence N. Burke; 1878, Amos D. Allen; 1879, Rufus H. Grosvenor.

SCHOOL COMMISSIONERS.

1833, Cyren Burdick, Titus Bronson, Cyrus Lovell; 1836, D. E. Dom-ing, John Everard, A. H. Edwards; 1837, Luther H. Trask.

SCHOOL INSPECTORS.

1833, Cyren Burdick, Cyrus Lovell, Stephen Vickery: 1834, Stephen Vickery, John Husk, Cyren Burdick, Elisha Belcher, Phineas Hunt, Jr.; 1835, T. P. Sheldon, Samuel Ransom, J. Q. Abbott, Elisba Belcher, Cyren Burdick: 1836, J. Hall, E. Belcher, D. Grimes S. Ransom, Jonathan G. Abbott; 1837, Jeremiah Hall, A. T. Prouty, A. G. Hammond; 1838, Jeremiah Hall, O.H. Hurd, Alexander Cameron; 1839, Fletcher Ransom, Lyman Kendall, Frederick Booher; 1846, D. H. Webster, Lyman Kendall, Jonathan G. Abbott; 1841, J. G. Abbott, William Dutton, Nathaniel A. Balch; 1842, 0. P. Hoyt, Jeremiah Hall, Volney Hascall; 1843, N. A. Balch, Edwin C. Hinsdill; 1844, William Dutton; 1845, Lyman Kendall, Horace Mower 1846, Ebenezer Hoskins; 1847, Alexis Ransom; 1848, Volney Hawaii; 1849, John M. Edwards; 1850, Adam S. Kedzie; 1851, Nathaniel A. Batch; 1852, Adam S. Kedzie; 1353, Nathaniel A. Balch; 1854, Dwight May ; 1855, John M. Edwards; 1856, Daniel Putnam; 1857, Andrew J. Gibson; 1858, Daniel Putnam; 1859, William W. Peck; 1860, Daniel Putnam; 1861-66, records missing; 1867, Ashmun A. Knnppen; 1868, Jacob K. Wagner; 1869, Frank Little; 1870, William H. Woodhams; 1871, George Torrey; 1872, William H. Woodhams; 1873, Merritt Moore; 1874, William W. Peck, J. Wilfred Thompson: 1875-78, Howard G. Coleman; 1879, Lewis Stewart-J

SCHOOL SUPERINTENDENTS.

1875-77, William S. Eaton; 1878-79, Clarence L. Dean

COMMISSIONERS OF HIGHWAYS.

1833, Titus Bronson, Phineas Hunt, Marcus H. Hounsom; 1834, Phineas Hunt, Jr., M. Hounsom, Alfred Hodge; 1835, David B. Deming, P. barber, Isaac Gibbs; 1836, John Gibbs, Silas Gregg. E. Delano; 1837, Anthony Cooley, James Parker, Samuel W. Bryan; 1838, Hiram Owen, L. H. Trask. James Parker; 1839, James Parker, Oliver Davenport, J. G. Abbott; 1840, Alfred Thomas, Emmor Hawley. Isaac Vickery; 1841, E. Hawley, Alfred Thomas, J.G. Abbott; 1842. P. W. Curtenius, A. Thomas, Isaac Vickery; 1843, John Gibbs, William Carley, Isaac Vickery; 1814, F. Booher, Seth Taft, Algernon S. Hays; 1845, James Taylor, Luke W. Whiteomb, George Patterson ; 1846, James Taylor, John P. Warner, Geo. W. Rice; 1847, John Milham, A. S. Hays, Win. T. Campbell; 1848, Thomas W. Barnard; 1849, Joseph R. Cornell; 1850, Lovett Eaines; 1851, John Hall; 1852, Richard S.Gage; 1863, Alexis Ransom ; 1854, Thomas W. Barnard; 1855, Robert Hegeboom; 1856, Rollin Wood, John K. Mills, T. Ransom; 1857, Fletcher Ransom; 1858, John E. Mills; 1859, Rollin Wood: 1860, James B. Cobb; 1861-66, records missing; 1367, John A. Kendall; 1868, John Milham; 1869, Charles M. Hobbs; 1870, John A. Kendall; 1871, Philo Vradenhurg; 1872, E. 0. Humphrey; 1873, John A. Kendall; 1874-76, Philo Vradenburg; 1876, Newcomb Do Mary ; 1877, John Kendall; 1878, Philo Vradenburg: 1879, C. C. Curtenius.

OVERSEERS OF THE POOR.

1833 David S. Dillo; 1834, John A. Hays, James Parker; 1835, James Parker, Jonathan G. Abbott; 1836, A. Coats, S. Gregg; 1837, Dr. J. U. Abbott, Dr. E. A. At Leo; 1838, Abraham Cahill, J.G. Abbott; 1839, Ira Burdick, Horace Starkweather; 1840, Edwin N. Colt,t J. G. Abbott; 1841, M. Heydenburk, Jas. Parker; 1842, Oliver Davenport, George A. Bishop; 1843, Geo. A. Bishop, David Hubbard; 1844, H. J. H. Edwards, Ira Burdick; 1S45, John Everard, A. S. Hays; 1846, Alex. Cameron, David Swayze; 1847, Daniel Swayze, J. G. Abbott; 1848, O. Davenport, Hiram Arnold; 1849, Horace Starkweather, G. W. Winslow; 1850, Elisha Landon, H. Starkweather; 1851, James P. Clapham, H. Starkweather; 1852, H. Starkweather, Lewis F. Starkey ; 1853, G. W. Winslow, F. E. Woodward; 1854, L. C. Slarkey, G. A. Bishop; 1855-66, A. Thomas, Ira Burdick ; 1857, Ira Burdick, Felix Duffie; 1868, Thos. S. Cobb, Wm. Kakabake; 1859, Thos. C. Brownell, Felix Duffie.

CONSTABLES

1833, Nathan Harrison, Rodney Seymour: 1831, N. Harrison, Ebenezer Walter; 1835, Ebenezer Walter; 1836, Lot M. North; 1837, Ira Burdick; 1838-40, Rollin Wood; 1841, David Gilman, Edward Stile; 1842-43, David Oilman, Orrin S. Case; 1844-45, D. Oilman, Joseph Daniels; 1846, Joseph B. Daniels, Nelson Gibbs, Icbabod Weeks, E. L. Goodrich; 1847-48, J. B. Daniels, Nelson Gibbs; 1840-50, Joseph B. Daniels, Charles N. Barnum, Nelson Gibbs; 1851, J. B. Daniels, C. N. Barnum; 1852, C. N. Barnum, Charles Gibbs; 1853, Edwin L. Goodrich, John C. Hays, Berg. F. Orcutt, Rollin Wood; 1854, B. L. Goodrich, B. F, Orcutt; 1855, Wm. E. White, Arad C. Balch; 1856-57, h. W. Fox, Wm. E. White; 1858, Wm. E. White, Daniel T. Fox; 1859, H. S. Booth, Charles H. Goodale, Chester Whiting; 1860, C. H. Good, ale, H. S. Booth, John B. Allen, Luman W. Fox; 1801-66, records missing; 1867, John M. Coleman, Albert J. Lanckton, Henry C. Earl, George Patterson; 1868, Arad C. Balch, Josiah Wilcox, Samuel True, John Galman, Jr.; 1869, J. M. Coleman, H. 0. Earl, Emil Pfeiffer, Henry Bockeloo; 1870, H. J. Boekeloo, Geo. Patterson, E. Pfeiffcr, J. M. Coleman; 1871, H. J Brownell, A. C. Balch, J. M. Coleman, Frank Forbes; 1872, H. J. Brownell, J. M. Coleman, A. C. Balch, Wm. A. Glover; 1873, Henry Brownell, Jacob Verhage, J. M, Coleman, A, C. Balch; 1374, A. C. Balch, H. J. Brownell, Edward C. Comfort, Wm. A. Glover; 1875, Charles C. Jennings, Henry J. Brownell, William A. Glover, Charles G. Griffin; 1876, Charles C. Jennings, Henry J. Brownell, Henry H. Boekeloo, Wm. F. Montague; 1877, Clayton M. Carr, Henry II. Boekeloo, D. H. Taylor, Charles C. Jennings; 1878, Henry II. Boekeloo, D. H. Taylor, Henry J. Brownell, C. C. Jennings; 1879, David H. Taylor, Henry J. Brownell, James H. Sweet, John Galligan.

The total vote polled in Kalamazoo township in April, 1879, was 2317.

EARLY ROADS.

The following highways, all Leading to Kalamazoo village, were the first recorded on the township boots (see original record, Arcadia township):

Road from Bronson to Gull Prairie, commencing on the Territorial road, on the right bank of the Kalamazoo River, at Harrison's Ferry, in town 2 south, range 11 west, and running with variations to the southeast corner of section 15 in town 1 south, range 10 west; whole distance eight miles and one hundred and forty rods. Surveyed Oct. 25, 1832, and Feb. 1, 1833, by Stephen Vickery. Road from Genesee Prairie to Bronson, commencing at the quarter post between sections 30 and 31 in town 2 south, range 11 west; thence with variations to the west end of Main Street, one hundred rods south of tho quarter stake between sections 15 and 16; distance three miles and one hundred and twenty-two rods. Surveyed Oct. 24, 1832, by Stephen Vickery. The commissioners who laid out this and the Gull Prairie road were Anthony Cooley, N. K. Mathews, and Samuel Brown.

Road from Bronson to Genesee Prairie, commenting one hundred rods south of the quarter stake between sections 15 and 10, town 2 south, range 11 west; thence with variations to the quarter stake in the south line of section 30, town 2 south, range 12 west; distance five miles and one hundred and twenty rods. Surveyed by Stephen Vickery, Oct. 23 and 24, 1832; same commissioners as above.

Road from Genesee Prairie to Bronson, commencing at the quarter post between sections 30 and 31 in town 2 south, range 11 west; thence with variations to the west end of Main Street, one hundred rods south of the quarter stake between sections 15 and 16; distance three miles and one hundred and twenty-two rods. Surveyed Oct. 24, 1832, by Stephen Vickery. The commissioners who laid out this and the Gull Prairie road were Anthony Cooley, N. K. Mathews, and Samuel Brown.

Road from Bronson to Genesee Prairie, commencing one hundred rods south of the quarter stake between sections 15 and 16, town 2 south, range 11 west; thence with variations to the quarter stake in the south line of section 36, town 2 south, range 12 west; distance five miles and one hundred and twenty rods. Surveyed by Stephen Vickery, Oct. 23 and 24, 1832; same commissioners as above.

Road from Silver Creek towards the County-Scat, commencing at a point 79° 22' west of the quarter post between sections 25 and 26, town 2 south, range 11 west, and distant from said post forty-one chains and seven links; thence with variations to the northeast corner of section 27 in same township. Surveyed by Stephen Vickery, March 12, 1833. Marcus B. Hounsom and Phineas Hunt, Commissioners of Highways. Upon a certificate of its uselessness, this road was vacated by the commissioners, July 26, 1837. Marriage.—Among the interesting entries on the township records is found the following, where the clerk arose above difficulties and appreciated the responsibility of his position. And here it is but just to remark that Dr. At Lee kept the neatest and most systematic record of any of the early township clerks:

"Town Clerk's Office, Kalamazoo Township, June 9, 1837. "Application was made to the County Clerk for license of marriage between Thomas S. At Lee and Mary 11. Edwards, both of said Township, and county of Kalamazoo; but by reason of the vacation of the office of County Clerk, no license could be legally granted. A memorandum to this effect having been duly furnished, and the Township Clerk being by statute authorized to grunt Marriage Licenses, one was granted to the Parties, who wore consequently, on the 8th instant, lawfully joined in Wedlock, the Rev'd Jeremiah Hall solemnizing the nuptials.

"Edwin A. At Lee, T. Clerk."

SCHOOLS.

About 1833-34 a log school-house was built near the town line between Kalamazoo and Oshtemo, standing in the latter. It was in that building that the children of the settlers living along the line received their first instruction in matters educational in the vicinity. In 1835 a man named Irons taught the school. He was subject to attacks of fever and ague, and kept his medicine constantly upon the stove ready to swallow a dose when the premonitory symptoms of a "shake" should become manifest. It is related, too, that the medicine served a double purpose, for whenever a pupil was the least refractory he was led up to the desk and given a good swallow of the master's " hot stuff," and it is to be inferred that in that instance, at least, I was found a model school. The following is from the re- port of the township school inspectors for the year ending Sept. 1, 1879:

Nunber of districts (whole, 3; fractional, 6).................... 9
Children of school age.........................................3419
Attendance during the year...............................      2253
Number of days school taught...................................14S7
"      "   volumes in district libraries.......................7854
*     "  school-houses (brick, 0; frame, 8)...................   14
"     "  sittings..............................................2148
Value of school property....................................$91,300
Number of teachers employed (male, 5; female, 52) Total 57
Wages paid teachers (male, $3635.60; female, $15,813.75;l $19,449.35
Total resources for the year..............................$41,055.01
Amount on hand Sept. 1, 1879...............................12,923.01
Total expenditures less amount on hand....................$28,132.00

District No. 1 includes the village of Kalamazoo.
 

History of Kalamazoo by Samuel W. Durant 1880

Home

Backgrounds By Marie