City of Vicksburg

Kalamazoo Co MI



Ladies Library, Vicksburg, MI (1920s) - Contributed by Paul Petosky

In 1891 a group of Vicksburg-area women gathered to form a club to meet the social needs of a growing hamlet. This group became the Ladies Library Auxiliary. In 1902 one of its members, Fannie Bair, an 80-year-old widow, bought property on Maple Street and hired an architect to design a library. She financed its entire construction. That library is half of the current structure. The Auxiliary (then called Association) ran the Library until 1942 using it for cultural activities as well as a central book collection. The group is still an active women’s organization

Home

Backgrounds By Marie