Line Divider

Kalamazoo County Michigan
The Professions

Law & Legal // Medical // Lawyers

Line Divider


In the history of any portion of our country there is a manifest propriety in giving place to tho members of the legal profession. No one will deny that it has had among its numbers, wherever civilization has advanced, a large proportion of active, well-balanced minds, men who have given shape and form to good government, and who were the instrumentalities in laying broad and deep the foundations for the welfare of their fellow-men. Law is based on what is true and right. The object of evidence is to find the truth, and, without the legal profession, no other body of men now or heretofore existing would, in all probability, have given to the world such a complete and systematic set of rules of evidence as now exists, by which truth is to be reached and determined. The doctrines and rules of evidence have been laid down in plain and perspicuous language by an American, who has no superior as a law writer. Simon Greenleaf, as a professor in the Law School of Harvard, at Cambridge, Mass., has given fame to that institution, and has gained for himself position as a law writer in the English as well as American courts. Evidence, according to this practically-educated lawyer, in legal acceptation, includes all the means by which any alleged matter of fact, the truth of which is submitted to investigation, is established or disproved. Without the aid of the legal profession, doubt and uncertainty would have still clouded the moral atmosphere, and mental philosophy would yet be indulging in abstractions that held fast the mind of men before America was discovered.

The responsibility of the lawyer in every community is recognized, because, as Professor Greenleaf expresses it, “his profession leads him to explore the masses of falsehood, to detect its artifices, to pierce its thickest veils, to follow and expose its sophistries, to compare the statements of its different witnesses with severity, to discover truth and separate it from error. Our fellow-men are well aware of this, and probably they act upon this knowledge more generally and with a more profound respect than we are in the habit of Considering. The influence, too, of the legal profession upon the community is unquestionably great, conversant as it daily is with all classes and grades of men in their domestic and social relations, and in all the affairs of life, from the cradle to the grave.” I need not further attempt an argument to demonstrate the necessity of holding in fair respect and giving prominence to the Bar as a body of men ,who have greatly aided in sustaining virtuous conduct, in condemning vice, and in making the world better. Without passing from our own nation, whose history is com passed by a little more than a century, names might be mentioned that would be known as the highest type of ability wherever moral excellence or mutual greatness is recognized. Chief Justice John Marshall, Chief Justice Roger B. Taney, and Justice Joseph Story, of the Supreme Court of the United States, may be named as the pillars on which the judicial structure of our country rests. Others may imitate, but none surpass them, in originality of thought, power of argument, or clearness of expression. Of practicing lawyers, distinguished in argument to their fellow-men under our jury system, the country has furnished a legion ; possibly a score of this number above the others in the ability that enabled them to master the whole science of law and the possibly greater ability to impart their learning to others. What is necessary in the education of the lawyer ? First, a sound constitution,—“ for what,” as another has said, “is a lawyer worth to his client, or how can he assist the court, if his digestion is impaired, or his activity of mind or body controlled by excesses ?” A sound mind and a diseased body,—the latter always a hindrance to the former. The cup that intoxicates is not the only enemy to advancement in training the mind of the lawyer to accuracy of thought, the ability to demonstrate, and the power to control the minds of others. There are other vices, fatal always to advancement. Close application, intense study, actual labor to learn, and to learn well and accurately, are always the essentials in reaching eminence at the bar. Much may be learned by the scholar of today in reading the biographies of those who have been distinguished as advocates. If the daily work of Luther Martin, of Maryland, John Sargent, of Philadelphia, William Wirt, of Baltimore, and Rufus Choate, of Boston, could be carefully estimated and studied, the law student would learn that constant, never-ending labor was the price to be paid for eminence at the bar. Not one of these great lawyers reached high position at a single bound. Close, careful study through a series of years, work, and much of it, gave to each that power to reason and the appropriate language and line of thought with which they swayed the minds of courts and juries.

A distinguished member of the bar in Philadelphia thus writes of Charles Cotesworth Pinckney, a Baltimore lawyer, who spent some years in England as a commissioner under Jay’s treaty, “That he attained the highest place in the eye of the profession ever reached by any lawyer in the United States.” Chief Justice Taney thus speaks of Pinckney: “He came to every case fully prepared with his argument and authorities arranged; and no temptation could induce him to speak in a case, great or small, unless he had time to prepare for it, and he argued each one as carefully as if his reputation depended upon that speech. I have heard almost all the great advocates of the United States, both of the past and present generation, but I have seen none equal to Pinckney. His brief out- line of a great advocate, by so distinguished a jurist as Chief Justice Taney, is well worth the contemplation and study of any one who desires to hold a good position at the bar. I add another name to the list of distinguished advocates already mentioned,—Reverdy Johnson, of Baltimore. T quote the language of Judge William A. Porter, of Pennsylvania: “ When Great Britain paid to the United States the fifteen and a half millions of dollars awarded at Geneva, Congress created a court of five judges, taken from as many different. States in the Union, for hearing and deciding upon the claims to the fund. This court sat in Washington for two years and a half, and entered judgments in two thousand and sixty-eight cases, amounting to nine million three hundred and sixteen thousand one hundred and twenty dollars and twenty-five cents. It was an arduous work, but it had one great attraction, that of bringing together in one court-room leading lawyers from many of our seaboard cities,—Portland, New Beford, Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, New Orleans, and San Francisco. It has seldom, if ever, happened in the history of the country that so many lawyers were convened from so many different points of the Union. Some of the claims involved legal points of sufficient interest to stimulate their advocates to the highest professional exertions. It was specially instructive to observe, from hour to hour, the different styles of speaking: they ranged from the extreme of coldness to the most ardent oratory; and I must admit that, contrary to all my preconceived theories, it was difficult to tell, when both styles of speaking were displayed in the same case by men of real ability, which told most on the result. One of the ablest arguments was delivered by Mr. Johnson, in opposition to that of Mr. J. A. J. Creswell, from the same State, who ably represented the United States. Mr. Johnson was then approaching his eightieth year. The sight of one of his eyes had been impaired by an accident, and that of the other by long-protracted study. His health appeared to be extremely vigorous. He stood erect) and, although rather under the middle size, his presence was very commanding. He spoke without notes; occasionally his son-in-law and colleague read from books and documents passages which the speaker indicated. The whole speech was bold, strong, and manly. Every word seemed to fall naturally into its proper place. The facts were arranged in their most natural order, and stated with admirable clearness. The authorities cited were all pertinent to the question. The citations from the proceedings at Geneva were all pointed to the question before the court. His delivery was marked by an energy and earnestness more commonly found in the speeches of younger men. Mr. Johnson lost his case, but he lost none of his reputation. This was one of his last efforts. Not long after- ward, while attending the Supreme Court at Annapolis, he died suddenly from the effects of a fall. Thus went out one of the great lights of the American bar.”

It is not my province on this occasion to speak especially of the distinguished men who have held judicial position in the District, Supreme, or Chancery Courts, under Territorial and State rule, here in Michigan, and who are now dead: Judges Woodward, Witherall, Sibley, Morell, Wilkins, Fletcher, Hansom, Whipple, Wing, Miles, Mundy, Pratt, Martin, Farnsworth, Manning, Bacon, and Longyear. All of these were suited for their respective positions, and it might with truth be inscribed on a monument to their memories that each had the first quality of a judge, integrity of character. They were learned in the law, and had diligence and application to fill well the positions assigned them. I pass to the lawyers of the county of Kalamazoo, and note among the pioneers of the profession Lyman I. Daniels, Jeremiah Humphrey, John Hascall, Elisha Belcher, and Cyrus Lovell.

LYMAN I. DANIELS emigrated, at the age of twenty- five years, from Otsego Co., N. Y., and, after a delay of a few weeks in Detroit, ventured West in tho fall of 1831, and located in Schoolcraft, the then most important point in the county of Kalamazoo. Prairie Ronde, in the centre of which this village is located, contained at that time more than one-third of the population of the county. Its people had pioneered into the new country and were possessed of limited means, and the demand for the services of able advocates, wise counselors, and men learned in the law was not as great as at the present day. Few contracts had been made, and little resort to the courts for their violation. Criminal accusations were limited, and the services of the grand jury were frequently compassed in finding a single indictment for the sale of whisky to the Indians, which, if tried, had its ordinary result in a verdict of not guilty. The pioneer lawyers, having then but limited professional business, found occupation to some extent in examining the lands of the country, and recommending to Eastern capitalists particular localities for investments. Mr. Daniels devoted much time to this business, and his judgment gave profit to many who were fortunate in obtaining his services. The old records of the court terms in Kalamazoo County during Territorial days, and the first years of the State government, exhibit that he had a fair share of practice in presenting questions of law to the court. He always exhibited careful research, and received respectful attention from the court; and his arguments to the jury were often very strong, persuading the “twelve men, good and true,” that his client personified injured innocence, and was entitled to a favorable verdict. In 1832 an alarm prevailed throughout the county of Kalamazoo, during what was called the “Black Hawk war.” Troops were raised, and a commission was issued as lieutenant-colonel to Mr. Daniels, who accompanied his regiment in the short march that it made to the West, and thus secured for him the military title of colonel, by which he was ever afterwards known. Col. Daniels was called on business to Cassville, Wis., where he died in 1838.

JEREMIAH HUMPHREY located at Schoolcraft, in the year 1832, removing from Connecticut. During his residence in the county of Kalamazoo, unlike all other of his professional brethren, he did not speculate in land. He made no horse-trades, but devoted himself to the law, and with his professional brethren acquired much reputation as a critically-accurate lawyer, well skilled in the elementary principles of the law, and familiar, by a careful examination, with cases adjudicated in the courts. His memory was singularly retentive as to volume, page, and title of cases and points ruled in the reports, and his professional brethren were often glad to obtain for him a retainer as associate counsel, and thus avail themselves of his more extensive and careful reading. He removed to the Suite of Iowa, and died in 1849.

JOHN HASCALL was born in Connecticut and resided some years in Genesee Co., N. Y.. where he devoted himself to the practice of the law; served as a soldier in the war of 1812, and participated in several of its battles. In 1830 he came to Kalamazoo County and settled on what was subsequently known as Genesee Prairie. In his earlier life he was an active politician; widely known in Western New York in the years 1826 and 1828; during the anti- Masonic excitement receiving political position from his demonstrations through the press against Masonry. His success as a lawyer in Genesee County, until he ventured into political life, was marked. In Michigan he gave a limited attention to the practice of the law. devoting much time to the process of harvesting and thrashing grain by machinery. It is claimed, by those who had the opportunity to observe, that with him originated the machine invention of cutting grain, which has given to the prairies of the West the ability to supply the world with bread. John Hascall died at Kalamazoo in 1853. A wide circle of acquaintances testified that he possessed the qualities of integrity and useful ability.

HON. CYRUS LOVELL, born in Windham Co., Vt., emigrated to Michigan, and settled in the village of Kalamazoo, in 1832; building in that year, as his place of residence, the first frame dwelling-house in the place. This building was located near the comer of South and Church Streets, on the lot now occupied as a place of residence by Joseph Perrin, Esq. While a resident of Kalamazoo he held the offices of supervisor, justice of the peace, and prosecuting attorney. He was a soldier in the “ Black Hawk war," and for his services a grateful government rewarded him with one hundred and sixty acres of bounty land. As a lawyer he had been well instructed, and always maintained in the estimate of the court and his professional brethren a character for ability. In 1836 he removed to Ionia, Mich., and was honored by the people of that county with an election as a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1850, that presented to the people the constitution under which we are now living. In the discussions of that convention he took an active part, and always enlisted the attention of his associates. If his counsel had been listened to and acted upon, it would have freed the people from some very obnoxious provisions in that instrument. Mr. Lovell was subsequently twice elected a member of the House of Representatives, in the State Legislature, and during one session was elected Speaker, and served with credit to himself and with the approbation of his fellow-members. He has also held the office of receiver of the United States land- office at Ionia, and now in his seventy-fifth year, has a vigorous, active mind, and expresses opinions upon important legal questions with a perspicuity and clearness that would be creditable to a much younger man.

ELISHA BELCHER, born in Boston, Mass., in 1800, wont to Ohio, thence emigrated to Michigan, locating at Ann Arbor in 1826, and thence removing to Ionia. lie was employed in some of the limited number of cases that were prosecuted among the early settlers of that sparsely-populated portion of the Territory. Mr. Belcher’s primary education and his knowledge of the law were acquired in the evenings after the toil of the day in field or shop was past. His industry was proverbial, and in his younger days he had acquired a fair knowledge of all farm employments, and had also fitted himself for many kinds of mechanical labor. All these qualifications made him a very useful man in the neighborhood of his residence. He came to Kalamazoo in 1834, and was soon recognized as one of the leading lawyers of Western Michigan. His plain, unostentatious appearance, his sympathy with any of his neighbors in trouble or misfortune, gave him a strong hold on the affections of all the old settlers. Each one seemed to recognize him as a member of his own family, and his counsel and advice was sought for in many matters outside of his profession. He was peculiar in his efforts at the bar. His address always exhibited respect for the court, and his plain way of talk and apparently sincere manner gave him power with the jury. His practical knowledge of all employments in newly-settled portions of the West often gave him an advantage in his cases at the bar over the opposing attorney. His facility in describing minute details in every-day matters enabled him to reach the comprehension of ordinary minds, and by this means he held power with the jury. His addresses were without oratorical effort; they were talks; but he made his audience believe as he professed to believe. Mr. Belcher, in manner, mind, and peculiar ways as a lawyer, and in form and face as a man, may have had his peer and like, or duplicate, in some other part of the world, but never in Western Michigan. He removed to Otsego, Allegan Co., Mich., where he soon acquired his old-time influence as in Kalamazoo. He died in 1852.

JOSEPH MILLER was born in Litchfield Co., Conn., Oct. 29, 1779. He was a graduate of Williams College, and a practicing lawyer at Winsted, Conn., until 1834, when he removed with his family to Richland, Kalamazoo Co., Mich. He appeared in court in 1835 at Kalamazoo, Judge Fletcher presiding, and on motion was admitted to the bar, but never resumed practice in the West. He died at Richland, June 29,1864, at the advanced age of eighty-five years. Throughout his long life he was held in high esteem by all who knew him.

JAMES MILLER, son of Joseph Miller, was admitted to the bar in Kalamazoo, and for a short time was in practice in the county, but subsequently removed to Grand Rapids, where for many years he sustained himself as a leading member of the bar and useful citizen. He died in the latter part, of the year 1879.

JOSEPH MILLER JR., was born at Winsted, Conn., Dec. 13, 1816. He completed his literary education at the academy of that place, and commenced his law-reading in the office of his father, at Winsted, in 1833, and completed his course and was admitted to the bar at Kalamazoo in 1837. For many years he was associated in his law practice with Hon. Charles E. Stuart, and subsequently with J. D. Burns, Esq. He held the office of prosecuting attorney for the county of Kalamazoo several years, and subsequently, during the administration of President Buchanan, was appointed United States district attorney for the District of Michigan, and discharged its duties until some time after the incoming of President Lincoln's administration. Mr. Miller’s reputation as a well-educated lawyer extended over a large portion of Michigan. His marked capacity for the careful preparation of all cases in which he appeared was recognized by the courts and his professional brethren. When he cited an authority from an elementary work, or the reports, it was almost invariably in point, and sustained the position for which it was cited. In his arguments to court and jury he had the power of condensation, and yet. his brief speeches were very effective. In the public offices which he held, no fault was found in his action; it was a fearless and able discharge of duty. A host of people, now living in Kalamazoo and adjoining counties, can testify that he never encouraged litigation; his intervention was for peace and friendly adjustments whenever it was practicable. He died at Kalamazoo, April 9, A.D. 1864. aged forty-eight years. On the day of his funeral the buildings of the village were draped in mourning, all business was suspended, and the sorrowing multitude in the procession attested that a good man had gone down to his grave.

HON. SAMUEL CLARK was born in Cayuga Co., N. Y., in January, 1800. His earlier years were spent on a farm. He graduated at Hamilton College, New York, and pursued his law reading at the office of Judge Hulburt, of Auburn, and commenced practice as a lawyer at Waterloo, N. Y., in 1828, and continued with an increasing business until 1833, when he was elected representative from the Twenty- fifth Congressional District of the State of New York. Serving one term, he resumed and continued his practice of the law at Waterloo, until 1842. when he removed to Kalamazoo. In his new home he soon took good rank in the profession, and was recognized as one of the leading lawyers of the State. He was elected a member of the Constitutional Convention of Michigan in 1850, and was prominent in the discussions upon the more important topics in that body. He favored by a strong argument the establishment of an independent Supreme Court, releasing its judges from Circuit Court duties. He was elected a member of the House of Representatives in Congress in 1853, serving one term, and was recognized as one of the leaders of the Michigan delegation. The pioneers in Western Michigan have a well-defined recollection of Mr. Clark’s ability as a lawyer, his generous hospitality at his home, and his valuable services to his country in every public position which he held. He died at Kalamazoo, Oct. 2, 1870, aged seventy years.

(Another small bio) - US Congressman. After attending Hamilton College in Clinton, New York, and studying law in Auburn, he was admitted to the bar and opened a law practice in Waterloo in 1826. He moved to Kalamazoo, Michigan in 1842. A Democrat, Clark was elected to two terms in the US House of Representatives, representing New York from 1833 to 1835 and Michigan from 1853 to 1855. He was also a member of the Michigan State Constitutional Convention in 1850. Defeated for reelection to Congress in 1854, Clark spent his last years in retirement.

Was born in Hampshire Co., Mass., in 1799, and moved with his father’s family, in his early childhood, to Windham Co., Vt. He was educated at Chester Academy, Windsor Co., Vt., an institution which has furnished educational advantages to many lending men in Michigan. Among them, Governor Barry, Chancellor Farnsworth, both well known by reputation to the people of our State, Mitchell Hinsdill, and Isaac W. Willard, who will be remembered by the people of Kalamazoo County for many years to come. Mr. Ransom was educated, professionally, in the law school at Northampton, Mass., his law preceptor before attending this school being Peter R. Taft, of Townsbend, Vt., father of Alphonso Taft, of Cincinnati, late attorney-general of the United States. He graduated at the law school in 1825, and was in successful practice at Townshend, Vt., until 1834, when he removed to Kalamazoo, Mich.
While a resident of Vermont he was twice elected a member of the Legislature. On the 19th of November, 1834, he was admitted to the bar at Kalamazoo, and soon afterwards was associated with Hon. Chas. E. Stuart in an extensive law practice. He was appointed one of the judges of the Supreme Court of Michigan in 1836, and subsequently, in 1843, chief justice, and remained in the position until 1848. In 1847 he was elected Governor of tho State of Michigan, which office he held for two years from 1st of January, 1848. He was a member of the House of Representatives in the Legislature of Michigan for 1853.
Governor Ransom was a man of commanding presence, in height over six feet, in weight exceeding two hundred pounds, with massive head, and a voice of power. As a judge, when off the bench, it was his pride to mingle with the people, and lead them into talks about their farm and mechanical employments; and he carefully noted the details of their experience, and made effort to profit by it. He delighted in agriculture, and his home for many years was a well-cultivated farm, with pleasant surroundings, forming now a part of the village of Kalamazoo. His herds of improved cattle and carefully-bred flocks of sheep won for him, among farmers and the mass of people accustomed to manual labor, a popularity rarely attained by any public man in Michigan. A change came, he sold his comfortable farm-home at a time of great business depression, invested his means in banking and other enterprises, all of which proved disastrous; his resources had vanished, but his energy of character was yet with him. He removed to the Territory of Kansas, and there received the appointment of receiver of public moneys in the United States land-office, and was encouraged to believe that he could still restore his broken fortunes. His bright earthly future was destroyed by his death, which occurred at Fort Scott, Nov. 9, 1859. His remains were brought back to Michigan, and repose in “Mountain Home Cemetery,” at Kalamazoo. I repeat again, no man ever held a stronger hold on the affections of the people in Western Michigan than Epaphroditus Ransom.

WALTER CLARK came to Kalamazoo from the State of New York in 1836, a graduate of Union College, under the especial pupilage of Dr. Knott, its president. He was admitted to the bar at Kalamazoo, May 2, 1837. During most of his practice he was associated with Hon. N. A. Balch. He died at Kalamazoo in January, 1842. lie was remarkable for scholarship and literary acquirements, and was a very active and successful business man.

MITCHELL HINSDILL came to Kalamazoo from Vermont, and was admitted to the bar Nov. 19, 1834. He officiated as prosecuting attorney for Kalamazoo County in 1835, and was elected and served as judge of probate from 1836 to 18*14, sustaining himself officially and in the profession with great credit. In his later years he devoted his time to farming, and had the reputation of being one of the most skillful cultivators of the soil in Kalamazoo County. He died in 1854.

ZEPHANIAH PLATT was admitted to the bar, and commenced practice, at Kalamazoo, Nov. 1,1836. In his former practice, in the State of New York, he had sustained himself as an able lawyer, especially in chancery practice, and he lost none of his reputation during his residence in Michigan. He returned to New York City, and there and in Washington, D. C., prosecuted a successful business in his profession for many years.

HORACE MOWER, born in Vermont, and a graduate of Dartmouth College, read law with Hon. Andrew Tracy, at Woodstock, Windsor Co., Vt. He emigrated to Michigan, and was admitted to the bar at Kalamazoo in August, 1839. He served one term as a member of the House of Representatives in the Legislature in 1847, and was subsequently appointed judge of the court in the Territory of New Mexico, serving two years.
Judge Mower, during his practice in Kalamazoo, and while holding his official position in New Mexico, acquired and held the reputation of being a critically-accurate lawyer with all his professional brethren. His fine collegiate attainments gave him notice wherever he was known in Michigan, and his polished address made him a very effective speaker in his efforts with the court and jury. He died at Kalamazoo, Dec. 11, 1860, while yet a young man, and there arc many persons in Kalamazoo and the adjoining counties who remember, with regret, when his brilliant prospects were cut off by an untimely death.

VOLNEY HASCALL, born Feb. 2, 1820, in Genesee Co., N. Y.,came with his father’s family to Kalamazoo in 1830, and was educated at the branch of the university, then located at that place, becoming a finished scholar in Latin, English literature, and mathematics. He rend law with Elisha Belcher, and was admitted to practice in 1843. He also mastered the art of printing in all its branches, became an editor, and in this vocation had no superior in Michigan. He edited a paper for the benefit of the people, and not to serve his own private purposes. He visited Europe several times, and in his talks about his travels always held the attention of his auditors. He served as a member of the Constitutional Convention from Kalamazoo County in 1850; and held the position of register of the United States land-office for Western Michigan during the administration of President Buchanan. He died at Kalamazoo, in February, 1870, and his acquaintances remember him as an honest man and useful citizen.

WALTER O. BALCH was born at Kalamazoo April 9, 1843. Educated in the common schools, and graduated in the law department of Michigan University; was admitted to the bar at Kalamazoo, A.D. 1866. He was associated with his father, Hon. N. A. Balch, in practice at Kalamazoo, but failing health compelled him to withdraw from the more active duties of the profession. He died in December, 1876. His kind and courteous manners, and his remarkable acquirements in a literary point of view, gave him the friendship and admiration of a wide circle of acquaintances.

DAVID B. WEBSTER, born in Chittenden Co., Vt., received an academical education, and was admitted to the bar at Essex, Chittenden Co. He practiced at Montpelier, and thence removed to Kalamazoo, Mich., in 1836, and was associated in practice with Hon. Charles E. Stuart. He served a term as prosecuting attorney, and was elected in 1845 judge of probate for the county of Kalamazoo, serving four years. He was appointed, during the administration of President Taylor, receiver of public moneys in the United States land-office for the Western District of Michigan, and served three years. He died May 8, 1860, at Kalamazoo. Judge Webster was a genial, pleasant man, discharging official duties faithfully and well, and holding the confidence of his fellow-citizens.

HON. MARSH GIDDINGS came to Richland, Kalamazoo Co., Mich., with his father’s family, in 1830, from the State of Connecticut. His advantages for education were confined mainly to the common schools of the Territory and State as they existed during his minority. He read law with Judge Mitchell Hinsdill at Richland. After his admission to the bar at Kalamazoo, in 1841, he was associated in practice with Gen. Dwight May for several years. He was elected a representative in the Legislature of Michigan for the year 1840, and subsequently elected judge of probate for the county of Kalamazoo, serving from 1861 to 1868, inclusive. Judge Giddings was also elected to and served in the Constitutional Convention of Michigan, which held its session at Lansing, in 1867. He was appointed Governor of the Territory of New Mexico, and served in that capacity until his death, which occurred at Santa Fe, in the month of September, 1875. His remains were brought to Michigan, and repose in “Mountain Home Cemetery,” at Kalamazoo. As a jury lawyer, Judge Giddings was eminently successful. As judge of probate, he satisfied the people of his county, tenderly caring for the interests of the widow, the orphan, and those who were measurably without- a protector. At Washington it stands on record that the affairs of New Mexico were administered during the term of Governor Giddings’ service with ability and for the best interests of the people of that Territory.

Governor of the New Mexico Territory. Born in Sherman, Fairfield County, Connecticut Marsh Giddings moved to Michigan as a young man. He attended Western Reserve College in Ohio, but did not complete his studies. At the age of 21 he was elected as a Justice of the Peace for Richland Township, Kalamazoo County, Michigan and later was elected to the Michigan State House of Representatives in 1849. Giddings also served as a Probate Judge from 1860-1868. In 1870 President Ulysses S. Grant nominated Giddings to the diplomatic post of Consul-General of the United States in Calcutta, India. The offer was declined, and the President then offered him the post of Governor of the New Mexico Territory. Giddings assumed his duties in August 1871, although he was not confirmed by the U.S. Senate until later in the year. Giddings inherited a territory rife with civil unrest. During his tenure he was forced to deal with riots and the beginning of the Lincoln County War, for which he lacked the authority and resources to combat. He died in office on June 3, 1875 and his body was taken back to Michigan for burial. (bio by: EddieM)

GEORGE D. RICE was for many years a resident of Kalamazoo, and was admitted to the bar in 1849. He devoted much of his time to maturing plans for the organization of the Grand Rapids and Indiana Railroad Company, and for the construction of its road, and thus largely benefited the interests of his fellow-citizens. lie died at Kalamazoo, 1869.

DAVID HUBBARD read law in the office of Stuart & Miller, and was admitted to practice in 1848, and subsequently located for the practice of his profession at Schoolcraft. He entered the United States military service during the war with Mexico, in the regiment commanded by Col. Thomas B. W. Stockton, and in the company commanded by Capt. F. W. Curtenius, and, landing at Vera Cruz, marched to Orizaba. After the return of the regiment with which he served, and its discharge, he resumed the practice of the law, but Jailing health compelled him to abandon his profession, lie died at Kalamazoo in 1852, recognized by his acquaintances as a young man of much promise.

CHARLES A. THOMPSON was admitted to practice at the bar of Kalamazoo in 1862, after graduating with first honors at the University of Michigan in 1855, and concluding his studies with May & Giddings, at Kalamazoo. He officiated as Circuit Court commissioner, and was afterwards elected prosecuting attorney for the county of Kalamazoo. He joined the 19th Regiment of Michigan Infantry, commanded by Col. Gilbert, and was commissioned by Governor Blair a captain. He died June 8, 1871, at Kalamazoo, from disease contracted during camp-life in the army. Capt. Thompson was known by his professional acquaintances as a lawyer skilled in office practice,—no one of his years his superior in the preparation of papers,—and his record as a soldier is well established, giving him credit for bravery. Charles B. Hayden was admitted to the bar in 1859, after completing at Kalamazoo his studies in the law office of Stuart & Miller. He died at Cincinnati, April, 1864, after a faithful service in the war of the Rebellion, holding rank as lieutenant-colonel of his regiment. He was greatly beloved by his associates at the bar, at whose instance resolutions of deep regret and affection were spread upon the records of the Circuit Court for the county of Kalamazoo.

WILLIAM H. DeYOE, for many years an active business man and successful practitioner at the bar of Kalamazoo County, and associated with Hon. Nathaniel A. Balch, died Nov. 20, 1863. Mr. De Yoe’s diligent attention to the business of his profession and his many gentlemanly traits of character endeared him to a large circle of friends.

CLEMENT C. WEBB, admitted to the bar, and for a short time in practice at Kalamazoo, gave every evidence of future success in his profession. lie was elected captain of a company in the 13th Regiment of Michigan Infantry, in the second year of the war of the Rebellion. His record as a soldier is pointed at with pride b}' his comrades in arms. In the brave discharge of his duty he was wounded at the battle of Stone River, Dec. 31, 1862, and died in hospital at Murfreesboro’, Feb. 14, 1863.

JAMES K. KNIGHT was admitted to the bar at Kalamazoo in 1855. He was subsequently elected clerk of the county of Kalamazoo, in which position he was a universal favorite with the people. He removed to St. Louis, Mo., and there succeeded to an extensive and lucrative practice in his profession. He was elected judge of the Circuit. Court, in which position he earned for himself great popularity as a sound lawyer among his professional brethren, and the people gave him credit for holding the scales of justice nicely and fairly adjusted. He died by accident in the vicinity of St. Louis, in December, 1875, and his remains repose in the cemetery at Schoolcraft, Kalamazoo Co. All of James K. Knight’s old acquaintances at Kalamazoo will remember him well for his fine personal appearance, his genial manners, and his great excellence of character.

Hon. G.E. Knight, of Schoolcraft received a dispatch from St. Louis yesterday announcing the death of his brother, Judge James T. Knight, of St. Louis, from the effects of a pistol shot wound, giving no particulars. Judge Knight's untimely decease will be much deplored in this community, where he was well and favorably known, having held several official positions of trust and honor in this county in former years. Hon. G.E. Knight and his sister, Mrs. Wood, left last evening to attend the funeral.
From "ambs" at find-a-grave

PAUL RAWLS, a graduate of the University of Michigan, acquired his profession in the office of Stuart & Miller, and was admitted to the bar at Kalamazoo in 1848. He entered the military service of the United States during the war with Mexico, in the regiment commanded by Col. Thomas B. W. Stockton, and in the company of Capt. F. W. Curtenius; was discharged with the regiment, and died at Kalamazoo soon after from disease contracted during military service. He was deemed one of the most estimable young men of his time,—his collegiate education giving him remarkable qualifications as a scholar, and his law-reading furnishing evidence of great promise in the profession.

GEN. DWIGHT MAY was born Sept. 8, 1822, in Berkshire Co., Mass. In June, 1834, he removed with his father’s family to Michigan. By teaching and farm-labor he prepared for college, entered an advanced class at the University of Michigan in September, 1846, and graduated in 1849; read law with Lothrop & Duffield, at Detroit, and was admitted to the bar in July, 1850. He commenced practice at Hattie Creek in 1850, removed to Kalamazoo in 1852, and was then associated with Hon. Marsh Giddings. While a resident of the village of Kalamazoo he was elected one of its trustees, twice its president, several times superintendent of its schools, and in 1866 was elected Lieutenant-Governor of Michigan. In 1868 he was elected attorney-general, holding the office two terms. In April, 1861, his war record commenced by his election as captain of Company I, 2d Regiment. Under an order of the War Department, he reached Washington in June, 1861, and participated in the battle of Bull Run. In December, 1861, he resigned his position in the army, and resumed and closed up his law business at Kalamazoo. October 8, 1862, he was commissioned lieutenant-colonel of the 12th Michigan Infantry, and in June, 1865, he was promoted colonel of the same regiment, and with his regiment was mustered out of service March 5, 1866.

Gen. Dwight May, for years a sufferer from disease contracted in camp-life, died Jan. 28, 1880, and his remains were placed in “Mountain Home Cemetery,” Kalamazoo, on the following Saturday, a bleak and gloomy day. A long line of his Masonic brethren were in his funeral procession. Judges of the Supreme Court and members of the bar of Kalamazoo and adjoining counties were present, out of respect for one whose learning and legal character they recognized and admired. Many of his old comrades in the army came from far and near to honor the dead soldier,— the citizens of the town and county, young and old, were present to testify that death had stricken down one who had lived among them and had not lived in vain ; all agreed, in sad look and word, that a man, useful and patriotic in life, had left for all time his sorrowing family and friends. Of the legal men of Kalamazoo County I have spoken of the dead, with a single exception. Two of the pioneer lawyers of the county are yet with us, well advanced in years, and it is proper that I should name them as pre-eminent in ability, and so recognized by all their old associates in the profession

HON. NATHANIEL A. BALCH was born in Windham Co., Vermont, on the 22d of January, 1808. He read law, medicine, and some theology, in his native State, and was principal of Bennington Academy, Vt. He came to Kalamazoo in 1837. He has also been a college professor of mathematics. If you wish to find a more accomplished Greek and Latin scholar, don't look for him among the clergy, lawyers, or medical men of Kalamazoo County, for you can’t find him. He is filled with acquired knowledge, and has worked like a high-pressure engine to get it. He has been the prosecuting attorney of the counties of Barry and Kalamazoo, and during his service put had men and rogues to a vast deal of trouble. He was an able member of the Senate of Michigan in 1847, and, to the utter disgust of the good people of Detroit, exerted ail his power to move the capitol of the State from the commercial metropolis, and set it down in the woods. He is a master in argument, and the opponent at the bar who has attempted to push him off the bridge hits often found himself in the water. He is now the president of the Bar Association in Kalamazoo County, and commands the respect and friendship of his associates for his learning and great excellence of character.

HON. CHARLES E. STUART was born in Columbia Co., N. Y. in 1810; emigrated to Michigan in 1835, and commenced as a lawyer the same year in Kalamazoo, obtaining a business within a brief time greater than any other lawyer in Western Michigan. The court records in Kalamazoo and adjoining counties show his name in connection with almost all the important cases during 1836 and the fifteen succeeding years. He was elected a member of the House of Representatives for 1842 in the Legislature of Michigan; was for two terms a member of the House of Representatives in Congress, and for six years a member of the United States Senate. During his last term of service in the House of Representatives in Congress he moved, and made a persistent effort for and accomplished, the passage of the law making a lauded appropriation for the construction of Sault St. Marie Canal,—a law that has added more to the wealth of Michigan than any other that was ever enacted. An associate member of the United States Senate, himself greatly distinguished, once said that Mr. Stuart was the ablest presiding officer of a deliberative assembly he had ever known; that his rulings on questions of parliamentary law and practice were rarely at fault. Always, at the bar, and in every political position he has held, he has evinced ability; now, in his seventy-first year, his mind is vigorous and active. His fluent conversational ability and remarkable memory enable him to entertain with stores of valuable facts and abundance of anecdotes of men who have come within his knowledge.

The following list embraces the names of attorneys, now living, admitted to the bar in Kalamazoo, most of them engaged in professional business: John W. Breese, Thomas H. Sherwood, John M. Edwards, Charles S. May, A. A. Knappen, Henry F. Severens, Arthur Brown, Robert F. Judson, William W. Peck, F. E. Knappen, Rufus H. Grosvenor, J. Davidson Burns, Robert Burns, James W. Hopkins, William G. Howard, Dallas Boudeman, Nathaniel H. Stewart, Allen M. Stearns, Edwin M. Clapp. Jr., Volney H. Lockwood, Elbert S. Roos, Thomas D. Trumbull, Samuel W. Oxenford, James H. Johnson, Luther Williams, William Shakespeare, Germain H. Mason, Henry C. Briggs, Hampden Kelsey, H. G. Wells, J. Franklin Alley, Geo. M. Buck, Edward Ranney, Kalamazoo, Mich.; Charles W. Lowrie, Gibson Browne, Keokuk, la.; Charles R. Brown, Port Huron, Mich.; W. L. Booth, New York City; George L. Otis, St. Paul, Minn.; William B. Williams, Allegan. Mich.; Chandler Richards, Paw Paw, Mich.; Joseph W. Huston, Dakota; Harrison A. Smith, Connecticut ; Cyrus B. Wilson; A. C. Kingman; T. C. Cutler; A. L. Moulton; Charles R. Brown, Port Huron, Mich.; Josiah L. Hawes, Kalamazoo, Mich.; Mitchell J. Smiley, William J. Stuart, Grand Rapids, Mich.; Henry A. Ford, Cleveland, Ohio; A. J. Mills, Paw Paw, Mich.; William Fletcher; James W. Reid; Henry H. Riley, Constantine, Mich.; James M. Severens; C. E. Bailey; G. P. Doane, Mendon, Mich.; J. C. Bishop, Vicksburg, Mich.; Arthur A. Bleasby, Big Rapids, Mich.; C. K. Turner; E. S. Smith, Chicago, 111.; Lawrence N. Banks; Charles K. Turner, Kalamazoo, Mich.; Elisha W. Frazer, Jasper C. Gates, Detroit, Mich.; Rufus P. Edson; Samuel A. York, New Haven, Conn.

Among those in the foregoing list of lawyers are some whose reputation is not circumscribed by the lines of the States in which they reside, and the entire list will compare favorably with any equal number of their profession to be found elsewhere on the score of ability and integrity.


Among “the ills that flesh is heir to,” sickness and accidental injury are, and always have been, conspicuous. They give occasion and create the necessity for experts in medicine and surgery; and hence it is that wherever aggregations of civilized humanity are found, there “the doctor" is a recognized and an existing institution. Sickness and accidental injury, common enough everywhere, are peculiarly the liability and often the lot of the pioneer. Away from the old home, its associations, its comforts, and its consolations,—away from an organized society regulated by law and accustomed to order,—away from the newspaper, the market, the school, and the church, each of which ministers to a civilized human want; and in the pressure of danger from an unaccustomed climate, from man and beast, from land and water, from forest and prairie, from hunger, heat, and cold, and from an imagination that conjures up many other dangers, real and unreal,—thus environed by danger to health, life, and limb, the pioneer naturally regarded the doctor as a guardian angel and his advent as an epoch in pioneer history.

Of the doctors entitled to rank among the real pioneers of Kalamazoo County, there are four who deserve conspicuous and honorable mention in its local history. These are Dr. N. M. Thomas, of Schoolcraft; Dr. David K. Brown, first of Schoolcraft and afterwards of Pavilion; Dr. J. G. Abbott, of Kalamazoo ; and Dr. D. E. Deming, of Cooper. Of these but one is now living,—Dr. Thomas, who was probably the very first physician who made a home in the county, settling (in what is now Prairie Ronde) in the spring of 1830. He yet lives; and in his hale old age preserves to a remarkable degree his faculties, mental and physical.

Nathan M. Thomas, M.D:, the first physician who located in the county of Kalamazoo, and the second in Western Michigan who engaged in the practice of medicine, was born at Mount Pleasant, Jefferson Co., Ohio, Jan. 2, 1803. His parents, Jesse and Avis (Stanton) Thomas, were Quakers. His maternal ancestors were of the same faith from near the origin of that church, and are traced back to Thomas Macy, the first settler on the island of Nantucket. His surroundings at his native place were such that he grew up with temperate habits. Under the teachings of Charles Osborn and Benjamin Lundy he became imbued with anti-slavery sentiments in early life.

He studied medicine at Mount Pleasant with Drs. Isaac Parker and William Farmer. After attending the Medical College of Ohio at Cincinnati, on the 3d of March, 1828, he was examined in that city by the censors of the First District Medical Society of Ohio, and the right to practice physic and surgery was conferred upon him by that body. He was engaged in the practice of medicine between one and two years in Ohio, when he came to Prairie Ronde and commenced practice in June, 1830. He became a member of the medical society of the Territory, and took such steps as enabled him to practice physic and surgery without a violation of law. The country being sparsely settled, his practice had a wide range, and some of his early visits were made at Diamond Lake, thirty miles distant. He had quite a contest with “steam doctors,” which caused some prejudice against him for a time. In less than three months after his arrival he had an attack of fever, and, while it lasted, he fully realized all the privations of log-cabin life. He prescribed for himself for some days, but finally felt the importance of yielding his case to other hands. The fact that the nearest physician was Dr. Loomis, of White Pigeon, presented an obstacle to be overcome. A messenger was dispatched for him, but found, upon his arrival at White Pigeon, that Dr. Loomis could not be had. He learned, however, of another physician who had temporarily located at that place, and he was obtained. Under his treatment, Dr. Thomas speedily recovered. For the first two years after he located on the prairie his practice was not large, and but little more than paid expenses. He had barely sufficient means to enable him to practice medicine, with a few dollars in his pocket. Under such circumstances he could derive no benefit from the pre-emption law, nor purchase any government land until September, 1832, when be attended land-sales at White Pigeon, and purchased ninety acres of prairie land for three hundred dollars, a large part of the purchase-money being borrowed capital. The land sold at that time had been held back from market because it had been selected for the university, but, as a number of sections on the prairie had preemption claims on a portion of them, it was decided that the university could not hold the remainder of those sections. They were, therefore, thrown back into market and sold at a heavy advance on government price.

After he had spent two years in the country circumstances were so changed that he worked speedily into a lucrative practice. Improvements had commenced at the village of Schoolcraft; Thaddeus Smith, J. A. Smith, E. Lakin Brown, Lyman I. Daniels, and Jeremiah Humphrey had preceded him in locating at that points Others soon followed, and the indications were that Schoolcraft, would very soon become the centre of business for Big Prairie Ronde, Gourd-Neck, and the surrounding country. Such being the case, he did not hesitate to change his residence to that place. His practice from the 1st of July, 1832, to 1841 was extensive. He applied himself closely to business, and for more than five years after he came to Schoolcraft did not spend twenty-four hours at a time beyond the range of his practice. During that five years, with all the loss of sleep and other conditions incident to the practice of medicine in a sickly country, his health was never so far impaired as to prevent him from attending regularly to his patients, which he attributes to the exercise of riding on horseback. He rarely rode otherwise during the first fourteen years which he spent in the country.

For a few, years previous to the location of physicians at Paw Paw village, his practice extended to that place and to the Agard settlement. His brother, Dr. Jesse Thomas, assisted him in the practice of medicine during the summer of 1836, having previously studied with Dr. William Hamilton, of Mount Pleasant, Ohio. He attended a course of lectures at the Medical College of Ohio in the winter of 1836-37, and resumed practice with his brother the following spring. In 1838, from the 1st of July to the 1st of October, there was not a sufficient fall of rain to lay the dust. The marshes, lakes, and water-courses settled to a low stage. It was a very sickly year, and consequently in the months of August and September their practice was incessant and laborious. Their patients were numerous, and their business larger than in any other year during their professional life. The country was sickly for ten or eleven years of its first settlement, but after that period it passed to a more favorable condition, and gradually became as healthful as any part of the United States.

The 17th of March, 1840, Dr. Nathan M. Thomas was married to Pamela S. Brown, daughter of Thomas and Sally Brown, of Plymouth, Windsor Co., Vt., and sister to Hon. E. Lakin Brown, of Schoolcraft.

Previous to 1841 the purchase of land, making improvements, and other business began to claim the attention of Dr. Thomas to such an extent that between 1841 and 1844 it was his intention to gradually surrender his professional business to his brother within a few years; but meanwhile a surplus capital had accumulated from their earnings, and their attention was turned to the West., as presenting the better opportunities for profitable investments. Accordingly, in the summer of 1845, Dr. Jesse Thomas, in company with Hiram Moore, made an exploration of what is now Green Lake Co., Wis., and the country adjacent thereto. This led, iu 1846, to the purchase of a large tract of land near Green Lake, and Dr. Jesse’s removal to it in the spring of 1847. The largest part of the accumulated capital that Dr. Thomas realized from the practice of medicine he invested in land and the improvement of it, and at the time he retired from practice he was the owner of some two thousand acres of improved and unimproved land, with the larger part of the latter, producing no income. He therefore gradually sold the greater part of it, and invested the money in such a way as to produce a larger income than could be obtained from the practice of medicine. But the greatest and most important benefit was an exemption from the exposure incident to practice in a new country. It is now twenty-seven years since he relinquished practice. In 1859, after he had retired, he received the following official notice of being chosen an honorary member of the State Medical Society, of which Dr. Allen was president:

"Wyandotte, Jan. 27, 1859.
“Dr. N. M. Thomas:

“Dear Sir, - I have the honor to notify you that at the last meeting of the Michigan Suite Medical Society, hold at Lansing, January 10th, you were, on motion of Dr. Gunn, elected an honorary member of that society.

“Yours respectfully,
“E. P. Christian, Secretary."

Dr. Thomas’ early education led him to adopt advanced views in relation to the anti-slavery cause. As it was both a moral and political question, he rejected the idea of relying on moral suasion alone, but adopted the plan advocated by Benjamin Lundy, of carrying the question at once to the ballot-box, and using this great moral and political force as the lever for the overthrow of American slavery, which he reduced to practice in 1838 and 1839. In 1840 he favored the organization of the Liberty party, and voted for its candidates at the Presidential election of that year. In 1837, Dr. Thomas united with four hundred and twenty- two male citizens of the townships of Prairie Ronde and Brady in petitioning Congress against the annexation of Texas to the United States. He was induced to do so because slavery existed in that country, and that, too, after it had been abolished by Mexican law. He sent the petition to Lucius Lyon, one of the United States senators from this State, who acknowledged its reception with the remark, “This is the first memorial on this subject that has been received from Michigan, though many have come in from other portions of the United States.” Dr. Thomas also united with other citizens, at different times, running, through a series of years, in petitioning Congress on the same subject, for the abolition of slavery in the District of Columbia, and against the admission of any more slave States. In 1839 he united with other anti-slavery men for the establishment of a paper in this State devoted to the anti-slavery cause, which required quite an effort and much pecuniary sacrifice for its accomplishment. In 1845 he was nominated by the Liberty party for Lieutenant Governor, on a ticket with James G. Birney for Governor, which received some three thousand five hundred votes. When the Liberty party was merged in the Free-Soil or Free Democratic party, in 1848, he became a member of that party, and as such was on the electoral ticket in this State for John P. Hale, when he was a candidate for President, in 1852.

When the State mass convention was held in Jackson, in July, 1854, which organized the Republican party in this State, Dr. Thomas was one of the committee of sixteen chosen by a State mass convention of the Free Democracy, held at Kalamazoo, to represent that party in the Jackson convention, and in accordance with instructions, upon the adoption of a platform approved by that committee, the Free Democratic party was dissolved and merged in the Republican party. He was appointed one of the nominating committee which selected for the convention the Republican State ticket. Being a supporter of the Republican party, he was also a supporter of the government through the war of the Rebellion. From the time hostilities commenced he favored the extinction of slavery, as the only sure and speedy way of ending the war. He therefore sent a petition to Congress in November, 1861, signed by one hundred and sixty-seven citizens of Schoolcraft and vicinity, calling the attention of that body to the subject, of which the following is a copy:

To the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States:

“In accordance with justice, the spirit of the ago, and to meet the approval of the good and the true throughout the world, and with a view of restoring four million native Americans to their rights, and bringing the war in which we are involved to a speedy termination, the undersigned, citizens of Kalamazoo County and State of Michigan, respectfully pray your honorable body to so exercise the right with which you are invested, under the war power of Government, as to declare slavery by act of Congress totally abolished."

Dr. Thomas was connected with the “underground railroad,” one of the organizers of the company, and was the Schoolcraft station agent. The first “train” which arrived brought a single fugitive, who had escaped from the far South. He entered the State in Cass County, in October. 1838, and passed Schoolcraft, Battle Creek, Marshall, Jackson, and Detroit. Other fugitives soon followed on the track, and the underground railroad became established on that line, extending from the Slave State border, north and east, through Michigan to the Canada line. It was in existence nearly twenty years, and the numbers that passed over the line have been variously estimated at from one thousand to fifteen hundred. Some of the fugitives became permanent settlers in Michigan, but the great body passed on to Canada. During the Rebellion many of these fugitives had a strong desire to enlist, and, with the first opportunity, were mustered into the service and made brave soldiers. Four active young men, fugitives from Kentucky, came on the underground railroad to the Schoolcraft station in 1856. They went up farther, but remained in the State, and when the war commenced they were among the number who desired to enlist. After much delay and great effort, they succeeded in being accepted in different regiments and were mustered into service. In the course of events they came together at the capture of Charleston and joined in singing the John Brown song as they marched through the streets of that city.

Dr. Thomas, appreciating the advantage of a good education and the general diffusion of knowledge among the masses as indispensable to the maintenance of republican government, has been at the expense of giving his children a collegiate education. His eldest, Avis, since deceased, graduated at Hillsdale College (the university not being then open to girls), married John J. Hopkins, a graduate of the same institution, and spent her short married life in Ohio. His youngest three children have received their education at the University of Michigan. Slanton, now a resident of Cassopolis, graduated in 1863, and Ella, at present teaching at Paw Paw, in 1875. His youngest, Malcolm, is a member of the class of 1880.

Dr. Thomas has now arrived at the ripe old age of seventy-seven years. 11 is life is drawing to a close, and the end of everything earthly is near at hand. His efforts to push forward the cause in which his mind has been deeply enlisted in early manhood, and through mature life to old age, though not fully completed, their consummation is fast approaching, and he has strong hopes and expectations that reform movements will go forward in the future as iu the past half-century to a full restoration of political rights, so that every human being of lawful age, sound mind, and unconvicted of crime, can have the full and uncontested right to a free ballot, without regard to class or sex.

During the summer of 1879 a controversy sprang up in relation to the date of the organization of the Republican party in Michigan, and Dr. Thomas, in common with numerous others to whom letters had been addressed on the subject, furnished what facts were in his memory regarding the matter. The following is a copy of his letter:

“To tub Editor or The Post and Tribune:

“In response to your inquiries, without any record before me, I will state a few facts as I recall them in regard to the organization of the Republican party. I attended the Free-Soil or Free Democratic convention held at Jackson on the 22d of February, the muss convention at Kalamazoo, on tho 21st of June, and the mass convention at Jackson, on the 6th of July, 1854. Tho old anti-slavery men, previous to the origin of the Republican party, had felt the necessity of a combined effort against slavery and tho aggressions of the slave-power of the country, and had been acting politically against that institution for years. In accordance with established usage, the Free Democracy, as the representation of their principles, met in convention at Jackson, on the 22d of February, adopted resolutions, and in nominating the State ticket the candidates were selected with a view of reconciling the feelings of the various shades of anti-slavery men and placing a strong ticket in the field. With that idea in view Kinsley S. Bingham was nominated for Governor. A strong desire was manifested by a few leading anti-slavery Whigs for a union of the Free-Soil and Whig parties on a State ticket. The late Judge Emmons, I well remember, as one of their number, was present to make known their wishes upon that point. But the time for its consummation had not then arrived, nor was it foreseen that so great an aggression upon the rights of the free States as the repeal of tho Missouri Compromise wan so near in the future as the end of May of that year. The catastrophe occurred when I was on my way to visit friends in New England.

Some ten days elapsed, and I was in Boston to witness the first opening in Faneuil Hall of the great fugitive slave case, where the voices of Parker and Phillips were heard presenting the fact of there being once a Boston and Massachusetts, but no Boston nor Massachusetts now. The slave-power was supreme to the Canada line. A few days passed, and a war-vessel was in the port of Boston, and, under orders from the government of the United States, took Anthony Burns and returned him to slavery, from which he had just escaped. A few days later a line from a friend reached me in Vermont, urging my return home, as a State Free-Soil Convention had been called during my absence. On my return I attended (hat convention, which was held at Kalamazoo to meet the emergency that had just been sprung upon the country and aroused the public mind to a greater extent than any event that had transpired since the memorable struggle against the admission of Missouri m a slave State, and led to the call of the mass State convention to be held at Jackson on the 6th of July. Under these circumstances the Free Democracy determined to meet at the time appointed in the mass convention at Jackson, and unite in a new organization, provided a platform was adopted embracing their principles. A committee of sixteen was appointed for the purpose of carrying out the will of the Kalamazoo convention. They met in Jackson, and, upon a platform being adopted that met the approval of the committee, the nominations previously made were withdrawn, and the Free Democratic party of this State was dissolved and absorbed in the new organization, under the name of the Republican party, as adopted by the convention. When the organization was completed and the State officers nominated, the convention closed with a feeling pervading the mass that a great work had been accomplished. Michigan was undoubtedly the first State to organize under the name of Republican. Ohio and one or two other States called conventions of those opposed to the repeal of the Missouri Compromise on the 18th of July following, as the anniversary of the adoption of the ordinance of 1787, but the Republican party was not, of course, fully organized as a national party previous to the holding of the national convention at Philadelphia, in 1856.

- Respectfully yours,
“N. M. Thomas.
At Schoolcraft, June 27, 1879.”

Dr. David E. Brown, who came to Schoolcraft in October, 1830, was born June 20, 1795, in Loudon Co., Va. He was a graduate of the medical department of the University of Pennsylvania, at Philadelphia, and was in many respects a marked man. Naturally frank, open-hearted, hospitable, and generous, he had many warm friends; brimful of mirth and humor, he was highly entertaining and attractive in social life; his clear perceptions, sound reason, and general good sense commanded universal respect; and all these, together with his energy, high-bred courtesy, and integrity, made him a successful man. As a physician he was, for the time, remarkably well educated; his mind was well trained in professional thought, and his memory well stored with medical science. For some time (just how long cannot be ascertained) he was the Professor of Practice in a medical school established at La Porte, Ind. In 1852 he moved to his farm in Pavilion township, and made that his home until about the time of his death, which occurred May 13, 1871, at Boone, Iowa. His remains lie in the township burial-ground of Schoolcraft.

Dr. ABBOTT came to Kalamazoo in 1831, and was a prominent character in nearly all the early affairs of the township. He was its first postmaster, he held several township offices, and he was its first physician. His professional experience embraced much that was interesting to the historian, and especially to the medical man, but it is impossible, within the space allowed for this article, to give the details of his life. It is enough to say that, healthy and vigorous himself, he did a large amount of professional work, — his rides radiating from his home to New Buffalo, to Ionia, to Union City, and to Muskegon; and that, without being remarkable or noteworthy on account of his endowments or his attainments, he was a careful and honorable physician, a kind and good man, who had many and warm friends, and whose death one year ago was lamented by all who knew him.

Dr. DEMING, who came to Cooper in 1834, was a man of many good and remarkable traits. A good physician, a kind neighbor, a true friend, and a faithful worker, he did great good in the north part of this county, and in Allegan and Barry Counties. (A fuller account of his life and death will be found in the history of Cooper township.)

Passing now to the medical generation in Kalamazoo only, immediately following these pioneers, we notice Dr. Stuart, the father of Hon. Charles E. Stuart, a man of marked intellect and character, who lived to a great old age, and died only a few years since.

DR. LEWIS F. STARKEY, a native of New York, a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania, and for a while assistant surgeon in the navy, came to Detroit in 1836, and to Kalamazoo in 1837. In 1842 he was elected State senator from this district, and for years was prominent in the politics of the State. He died May 19, 1848.

DR. EDWIN N. COLT settled in 1836. and left in 1843. He was postmaster at Kalamazoo in 1841-42.

DR. STARKWEATHER, another man of marked character, came about the same time, prospered in his practice, and died in the spring of 1854.

DR. CADMAN, also for many years in practice, was prominent in all the reformatory measures of the day, and has gone to his rest.

DR. HOWARD, gentlemanly, pleasant, and popular, died about i860.

DRS. AXTELL - (brothers), of whom the elder died from a dissecting wound about 1854; the younger immediately thereafter retired from practice, and still lives in the county.

DR. J. ADAMS ALLEN, a graduate of Middlebury (his father was a professor iu the college), came to Kalamazoo about 1848, and soon became eminent iu his profession. He was for several years a professor in the medical school at Ann Arbor, but removed, in I860, from Kalamazoo to Chicago, where he has since occupied with great distinction the chair of practice in Rush Medical College.

DR. GEORGE J. LONGBOTTOM, a native of England, a distinguished graduate of the London University Medical College in 1838, came to Kalamazoo in 1849. During a successful practice here of fifteen years he gained a large amount of popular confidence in his professional knowledge and skill, and by his keen, quick sympathy with trouble and distress won the hearts of all with whom he became intimate. He died Oct. 4, 1864.

DR. THOMAS BRADSHAW, also a native of England, a graduate of the London University, and a man of remarkable intellectual endowments and professional attainments, a visiting surgeon of one of the Liverpool hospitals, and for several years a general practitioner in that city, came to Kalamazoo early in 1851. (He made Pavilion his later home.) He was, for some occult reason, an eccentric, misanthropic recluse, scorning all conventionalizes, but commanding attention and respect from all who had intelligence enough to appreciate his knowledge and mental powers. He died in December, 1872.

DR. COATES, for some time associated in practice with

DR. LONGBOTTOM, left here about 1850, and has since died.

DR. WELLS MARSH, a Kalamazoo boy, a graduate of Michigan University, and a surgeon during the late war, also practiced awhile in Kalamazoo.

DR. R.C. KEDZIR for a short time was professionally located in Kalamazoo, but for a long time has been Professor of Chemistry at the State Agricultural College, near Lansing. In this position, while winning laurels for himself, he has conferred reputation on his school and honor upon his profession. He is a member of the Michigan State Medical Society, and has been its president. He is an active and useful member of our State Board of Health. He is a permanent member of the American Medical Association, and also of the National Health Commission.

DR. J.H. WHITE, coming to Kalamazoo in 1847, stayed but a few years, left on account of his health, and is now dead. He was a genial man and a good physician.

DRS. MACK AND BOLES, both dead, were, each of them, a short while in practice among us. Dr. Mack removing to Kankakee, ILL, became wealthy and politically prominent in the State, and died there.

DR. GEORGE W. LYON, a native of Connecticut, a graduate of Bellevue College, New York, and twice a member of the Legislature of New York, came to Kalamazoo in 1858. Finely endowed by nature with personal and intellectual gifts, he had added thereto by study a fine literary culture, unusual professional acquirements, and a polish of manner which made him a pleasant companion and a successful physician. Health failing, travel did not restore it. and he died in 1876, in the prime of life.

DR. EDWARD LEE, too, a talented and accomplished physician and gentleman, came from his home in New York, on the Hudson, practiced here for about a year, and returned to his old home and died soon after of consumption.

DRS. FORBES, CHASE, FITCH, LAUBENSTEIN, and UPJOHN SR... each practiced for a time in Kalamazoo. All are living, but all have left this field. Dr. Upjohn, Sr., has been for many years a practitioner in the county, and now lives at Richland.

DR. CHARLES V. MOTTRAM, after practicing here for several years (much of the time associated with his brother William), went to Kansas, where he is now a highly-successful physician. During the war he was surgeon of the 6th Regiment of Michigan Infantry, serving with distinction and success.

DR. EDWARD CLAPHAM, a native of England, a nephew of our old druggist, James P. Clapham, and a well-educated physician, practiced here a few years. While yet quite young he died, his death occurring in Canada, Oct. 5,1879.

The preceding catalogue is believed to comprise all representatives of regular medicine who have practiced in Kalamazoo, and who, because of death or removal, are not now here. Of those now here and iu practice, the oldest is Dr. WILLIAM MOTTRAM, who came here in 1851, from Nottawa Prairie. With him for years was associated his brother, Charles V., now of Kansas; and, more recently, his grandson, Dr. Arthur Ransom. Dr. Mottram has been president of the local medical society and a delegate to the American Medical Association.

Next in order of settlement is DR. FOSER PRATT, who came in 1856. Dr. Pratt has been twice president of the local society; once vice-president and acting president of the State Medical Society, and once its president by election; a permanent member of the American Medical Association, and a member also of its judicial councils; surgeon during the war of the 13th Regiment Michigan Veteran Volunteer Infantry. He was also, in 1858. a representative of the Kalamazoo district in the State Legislature ; and in 1871-72 the president of Kalamazoo village.

Dr. HOMER O. HITCHCOCK also came (later) in 1856. Dr. Hitchcock has been twice president of the local society, president of the State society, member and president of the State Board of Health, permanent member of the American Medical Association, and also of the American Social Science Association.

During the late war came DRS. I.W. FlSKE, W. B. SOUTHARD, and MOSES PORTER. Since the war, DRS. W. T. STILLWELL, HENRY U. UPJOHN and his sister, Mrs. Helen M. Upjohn Kirkland, J. M. Snook, H. H. Schabero, 0. B. Kanney, A. Hochstein, Mrs. M. L. Tousley, and Morris Gibbs have been added to the catalogue of medical practitioners in Kalamazoo. Drs. Fisk, Southard, Porter, Stillwell, Upjohn, and Snook have each been president of the local society and delegate to the American Medical Association. Besides these, living here, but not now in practice, are Drs. L. 0. Chapin and W. H. Johnson.

Medical Societies.—Prior to 1866, several attempts were made to form a medical society, but with no success.

In 1866 a society was formed, which took the name of “Kalamazoo Valley Medical Society," and embraced as its territory Calhoun, Kalamazoo, Allegan, and Van Buren Counties. This organization lived about one year, and died because it covered too much territory. Immediately upon the demise of this society, another was born to inherit its “effects,” which was christened the “Kalamazoo County Medical Society,” its territory being indicated by its title.

But very soon it was discovered, after a careful diagnosis, that it had inherited the infirmity of its parents,—too much territory,—and the diagnosis was triumphantly vindicated by its speedy dissolution.

Feb. 11, 1868, the “Kalamazoo Medical Association” was organized by Drs. Pratt, Hitchcock, Southard, Fiske, W. Mottram, Chapin, Johnson, and Porter, and all who are now practicing regular medicine in Kalamazoo arc members of it. The only feature that distinguishes this from any other medical society is a provision in its law that it shall meet monthly at the homes of its members, as may be convenient, whereby sociality is cultivated as well as science. Its present president is Dr. Pratt, and Dr. Snook is secretary and treasurer. During the twelve years of its existence it has done much good not only to its members, but, by its example, to other doctors in other localities.

On the 27th day of February, 1878, another organization, known as the “Kalamazoo District Medical and Surgical Association,” was organized, a constitution and by-laws were adopted, and officers elected. It, too, though scarcely two years old, has also prospered and is doing a good work. Dr. Edwin H. Van Deusen, of Kalamazoo, is now the president, and Dr. J. M. Snook is secretary. Its membership includes all who have been previously named as practicing in Kalamazoo, and who are members of its local society; and, in addition to these, it also includes the following, viz., Drs. B. Barnum, Schoolcraft; D. M. McLay, Prairieville; S. B. Davis, Alamo; 0. F. Seeley, Climax; E. B. Dunning, Paw Paw ; M. Hill, Pavilion; Milton Chase, Otsego; J. F. Failing, Oshtemo; G. B. Nichols, Martin; J. L. H. Young, Cooper; L. C. Van Antwerp, Vicksburg; L. D. Knowles, Kendall; J. W. Sackett, Prairieville; J. M. Elliott, Hickory Corners; J. M. Rankin, Richland; Fred. E. Grant, Mattewan ; O. F. Thomas, Lawton; C. H. McKain, Pavilion; Geo. C. Pease, Wakeshma; E. C. Adams, Alamo; M. Spencer Bradley, Oshtemo; H. J. Turner, Wayland.

Neither the medical history of Kalamazoo nor its list of medical men can be completed without a mention of another class of physicians, who came here not as other medical men, to locate and enter into general practice, but who came appointed to perform duty as medical officers in the “Michigan Asylum for the Insane.” First and foremost among all these is Edwin II. Van Deusen, from 1856 till 1878 the distinguished medical superintendent of the institution. Among the assistant medical superintendents were Drs. Tyler and Geo. C. Palmer, the latter being now the medical superintendent. Dr. Henry M. Hurd, for years assistant physician, is now the medical superintendent of the similar institution at Pontiac, Mich. Worthy of honorable mention among them are Dr. Emerson, resigned to enter general practice, and Dr. E. G. Marshall, who went from here to a similar institution in Wisconsin, and there died of a dissecting-wound inflicted while engaged in scientific investigation. Now in service at the institution, in addition to the superintendent, Dr. Palmer, are Drs. Adams, Wood, Worcester, Savage, and Miss Bissell, — all ornaments to their profession, and eminently fitted for their responsible duties.

The following fragmentary information and anecdotes of a most eccentric but at the same time most remarkably endowed individual, who for many years was a citizen of, or at least a dweller in, Kalamazoo County, have been mostly gathered by A. D. P. Van Buren, Esq., and obligingly placed at the disposal of the historian. Dr. Isaac E. Lamborn was a native of Leesburg, Loudon Co., Va., where he was born towards the close of the last century.

He is said to have graduated at the University of Pennsylvania, at Philadelphia, where he also studied medicine under Professor Gibson, a man of well-known reputation. Dr. Mottram says he graduated an M.D., and thinks he also graduated at William and Mary College in Virginia. Dr. Uriah Upjohn says of him : “Theoretically he knew everything in the science of medicine ; was learned—profoundly versed—as a physician,” though he never engaged in regular practice. He was like Washington in one respect — he seldom laughed. He seems either to have been regularly bred a Quaker or subsequently adopted the Quaker manner of expression.

Dr. Thomas says he came of Quaker parentage, and the doctor also thinks he studied medicine near the place of his birth. He also states that his father was noted for his eccentricities, of which his neighbors often made sport. About 1824 he visited Washington, D. C., where he was employed as a stenographer or reporter during the administration of John Quincy Adams. In that department his reputation was unrivaled. In the capital of the nation he formed the acquaintance of many prominent statesmen and politicians, and, having a superior capacity and a most retentive memory, acquired a remarkable knowledge of not only the principal actors in the political arena, but of the most profound principles of human government. His penetration of character was wonderful, and Dr. Mottram says his analysis of the character, peculiarities, and special traits of all the noted men of his time was better than a phrenological delineation by the ablest lecturer upon the (so-called) science.

While in Washington he turned his attention mostly to American politics, and, as in the case of his study of medicine, he soon mastered the subject. His knowledge of men and principles was most wonderful. As a prominent gentleman of Kalamazoo puts it: “ He seemed to have no common sense, but had the greatest store of uncommon sense of any man I ever knew.” Whatever subject he investigated ho seemed to grasp at once and become proficient in. With all his other acquirements he had a very wide knowledge of history.

Dr. David E. Brown was from the same part of Virginia, and an old-time friend of his; and when he removed to Michigan, about 1830, Dr. Lamborn came also. Dr. Brown was a Whig and Dr. Lamborn a Democrat, though a very independent one, reserving tenaciously the right of private judgment, f He and Dr. Brown had many a "passage-at-arms” upon political matters, and it is said that Dr. Brown was always discomfited, or at least overwhelmed, in the argument.

But, like many a great man before him, he had a weak spot in his armor; he was open to flattery. Dr. Mottram relates an instance in point: The Michigan Central and Southern Railway Companies got into difficulty about crossing each other’s lines south of Chicago. One day Dr. Mottram made the statement to Dr. Lamborn that the two companies had agreed to refer the matter in dispute to two distinguished umpires in England. The latter gentlemen had desired to have associated with them some eminent American, and Mr. Brooks, superintendent of the Michigan Central Railroad, requested Dr. Mottram to secure the counsels of Dr. Lamborn. The latter was wonderfully pleased at this distinguished recognition of his abilities. A few days after this announcement Dr. Lamborn said to Dr. Mottram, “ Has thee heard anything more about the matter from Superintendent Brooks?" The doctor would make some explanation for the time being, and the matter would drop for a few days, when Dr. Lamborn would again inquire, in an eager whisper, “Has thy friend Brooks yet decided when the matter of adjudicating this railroad difficulty shall take place?” Some plausible excuse had finally to he framed for the failure to call upon him.

Dr. Upjohn says, in answer to a question as to whether Dr. Lamborn graduated from any literary institute,— " I think he did; there is not much doubt of it; but, be that it may, one thing is certain, ho knew enough to have graduated from a half-dozen of the best colleges in the land.

“I first met him at Gun Plains, where I learned that he was to deliver a lecture on stenography. I went and heard a masterly lecture on that beautiful art."

Among his multitudinous accomplishments was that of a practical knowledge of surveying. Upon this subject he took great pleasure in discoursing, and had an excellent understanding of the system of surveys adopted by the United States authorities about 1785. He was a most accomplished mathematician.

Religiously he was a Hicksite Quaker, and his opinions were not kept to himself iu this direction any more than in political matters. He was outspoken, earnest, able, and cuttingly critical, a most remarkable debater, and furnished with an unfailing stock of repartee. He was habitually of a melancholy temperament, which was said by those who knew him to have been caused by a disappointment in an affair of the heart in early life.

Mr. E. M. Clapp furnishes some interesting information which we have drawn upon.

On one occasion the old doctor had been exceedingly active in procuring signatures to a petition which he had drawn up to be presented to the Legislature. He secured a large number and forwarded it, sanguine of success, to the Legislature. But although his name, like that of “ Abou Ben Adhem,” led all the rest, the petition was never afterwards heard of. The doctor could not bear to be foiled. He was intensely restive under what lie deemed restraint. At that time Edwin H. Lothrop, an old acquaintance, was a member of the Legislature, and for some reason the doctor believed he was instrumental in suppressing the lost document. Cut to the quick by what he considered a flagrant act of injustice, he exclaimed, “ The right of petition, the most sacred right of an American citizen,—a right conceded by all legislative bodies where man is free,— this right is denied us in Michigan! Edwin H. Lothrop has done an act that would have cost Louis Napoleon his head!"

He was sometimes remonstrated with for being so positive and outspoken; and the suggestion was ventured that it would be better for him to curb himself and use milder language. He replied, “It was born with me! I was once put in a barrel by my parents for some disobedience; but I could not brook restraint. I rolled my prison over and got out!”

In the days when Mormonism had a foothold in southwestern Michigan, on one occasion there was a meeting of the “ faithful” held in the log school-house in Mr. E. M. Clapp's neighborhood. Several able preachers were present, the house was crowded, and in the course of the proceedings considerable feeling was beginning to manifest itself, when of a sudden the shrill voice of Dr. Lamborn was heard piping harshly out as he entered upon a most searching and logical castigation of the Mormon theories and doctrines.

Very few in the neighborhood were familiar with the doctor, and the inquiry, “Who is it? who is it?” passed from mouth to mouth.

The few who happened to know him understood well that the subject would be exhaustively treated in his hands, and the “saints" soon found that an “enemy was within the gates” who would thoroughly expose the whole business. Their leaders replied to him, but the more they said the worse they made matters appear, and their arguments were so skillfully parried and turned against them that they very soon were ready to exclaim, with Sir Andrew Aguecheek, “An’ I thought he had been valiant and so cunning in fence, I’d have seen him d-d ere I’d have challenged him.”

The result was like that where the belligerent hornet got into the camp-meeting, — the “meetin” broke up.

That log school-house in after-years was often pointed out as the spot where “old Dr. Lamborn routed the "Latter- Day Saints."

He was known among the students of the old branch of the university at Kalamazoo as the “ Wandering Encyclopedia” and the “ Bodleian Library in boots.” We give a couple of characteristic anecdotes: During the exciting political campaign of 1844, he happened to step into a Whig meeting at Battle Creek, and in the course of events made a brief speech, in which occurred this passage: "Fellow-citizens! I come among you a Christian, patriot, and scholar! Really there are but three great men in America, Daniel Webster is one, Henry Clay is another, and the third modesty forbids me to mention.”

Dr. Lamborn and Judge Pratt.—In the fall of 1848, Messrs. Pratt and Hughes, of Marshall, came to Cassopolis to examine the testimony taken in the celebrated “ Kentucky Slave Case,” which was to be used before the District Court of the United States.

While here their headquarters were at the office of Geo. B. Turner, Esq., who was connected with the case. Those acquainted with .Judge Pratt will remember him as a man of commanding personal appearance, an inveterate joker, and a most unmerciful antagonist to those who dared measure swords with him in a contest of wit and humor. During their stay the judge had been unusually successful in playing his jokes upon Hughes, and the latter “ acknowledged the corn.”

One day Hughes and Turner were standing in the door of the office looking out upon Main Street, when Dr. Lamborn came along. Turner, knowing his political dislike of Judge Pratt, whom the doctor had never met, proposed to turn the tables upon the judge. Dr. Lamborn was accordingly invited in, and the three gentlemen walked into a back room where the judge was lying upon a lounge. As they reached the centre of the room, Turner remarked to the doctor,—

"I would like to have your opinion concerning the three prominent Democrats of Michigan. First, what do you think of Judge Ransom?”

Dr. Lamborn.— “What do I think of Epaphroditus Ransom? I will tell thee, he in not a great man, but I think him an honest one, and a good judge. In politics he is a mere boy."

Turner.—“What of Judge Felch?”

Dr. Lamborn.—(Alpheus Felch has proven himself to bean excellent judge. He was a man of much culture, but too honest for a politician."

Turner.—“Now, doctor, what is your opinion of Abner Pratt, of Marshall?”

Dr. Lamborn.—“Well, I will tell thee” (raising his voice and accenting it as only the doctor could). “When Abner Pratt was born they were destitute of souls, and they gave him a gizzard!”

At this point Turner and Hughes became convulsed with laughter. The doctor looked in a bewildered way, first at them and then at the stranger on the lounge, who was getting very red in the face, and seemed to ask what was all this uproar about. At length Turner controlled himself sufficiently to rise, when he turned to the doctor and said, “Dr. Lamborn, allow me to introduce you to Abner Pratt.” It was now the doctor’s turn to look embarrassed, but he proved equal to the emergency; extending his hand to the judge,-he remarked, “Abner Pratt, what I said of thee I only meant politically."

It is related that the judge used unparliamentary language for a moment, but finally his features relaxed, and he acknowledged the jokes even. During the remainder of their stay, Hughes was master of the situation.

In this connection we venture to give another item, which, though not classical in its language, is at least fully as characteristic of the man. At one time, when the doctor was well along in years, and becoming more and more eccentric, he visited Kalamazoo, when the boys treated him with leas respect than he was wont to claim. At length they gathered around him, and, remarking upon his outer appearance, jokingly inquired who he was and what his business was. The doctor turned upon them a withering look, and, in his inimitable way, replied:—

“I am an agent of his Satanic Majesty, who has commissioned me to look up a new place to locate Hell, and I think I shall recommend Kalamazoo.”

Mr. Van Buren tells a good one in which he was an unwilling actor. At a Free-Soil meeting in Centreville, St. Joseph Co., in the autumn of 1848, after several speakers had addressed the gathering, suddenly, from an obscure corner of the room, came the sound of a squeaking voice, exclaiming, “Fellow-citizens.” The peculiar, nervous, tremulous, but deliberate tones, attracted all cars, and the assembly beheld a medium-sized man of sixty years, earnestly and emphatically pouring forth a torrent of eloquence which astonished them all. At length the president of the meeting, Hon. Albert Metcalf, turned to Mills Hammond, the secretary, and in an earnest tone exclaimed, "Who in the name of Free-Soilism have we got among us?” Hammond, who knew the fiery stranger, replied, “ We’ve got old Dr. Lamborn among us, and I see he is on the aggressive, and unless we get rid of him soon there will not be much of Free-Soilism left.” He then whispered to Mr. Van Buren, who was assistant secretary of the meeting, and said, “Van, do you know that we have caught a Tartar?” Van Buren replied that he was well aware of it, and unless he was stopped soon he would make havoc of the previous speeches and use up a good amount of time.

In the mean time the doctor was warming to his subject, and slashing right and left with a blade as keen as Saladin’s of old. Great political questions were being manipulated under his dexterous logic in a manner worthy of a Chatham or a Mirabeau.

His eloquence and wonderful reasoning thrilled and aroused the Free-Soil element to indignant resentment, which the old doctor seeing, he poured out his vials of wrath and biting sarcasm more profusely than before. Said he, “You are displeased when I tell you that you are untrue to the fundamental principles of republican liberty,— principles for which Al-gernon Sidney died, for which Lord William Russell suffered, and for which John Hampden fell!

Time was precious, and finally the president spoke and said he hoped the gentleman would be brief, as others desired to speak ; but. the doctor went on, until some of the audience, getting exasperated at his screaming invectives and unsparing sarcasm, began to shuffle their feet to drown his voice or disconcert, him. At this he turned in their direction, and, pointing his index finger, exclaimed, “Ye do the work of your masters well! Ye would hiss them for a bribe, ye hireling brood! ye recreant sous of Michigan ! I have the floor, ye cannot hiss me down!” Thus he went on until he exhausted himself, and finally sat down, to the joy of all.

At the noted malpractice trial at Kalamazoo in 1844, before Judge Ransom, wherein Dr. N. M. Thomas was defendant and a Mr. Beals, of Schoolcraft, plaintiff, Dr. Lamborn was subpoenaed as a witness. Among the eminent medical men present and interested were Dr. Brainerd, president of Rush Medical College, Chicago; Professor Meeker, president of the Laporte Medical College, Indiana; Dr. Z. Pitcher, of Detroit; Professor Shipman, of Cincinnati; and many others from various parts of Michigan. The counsel consisted of Hon. Charles E. Stuart for the plaintiff, and Messrs. Balch and Gordon for defendant.

The question was, Could a fracture be so successfully treated that you could not determine whether the bone had been broken or not?

Dr. Lamborn gave his testimony so understandingly and so composedly—never faltering or found at fault under the most searching examination—as to completely surprise everybody. He showed conclusively that Sir Astley Cooper had made the statement in his writings that a fracture may be so successfully treated that it cannot be told by observation whether the bone has been broken or not.

After the trial, Sam Rice, to please the doctor, told him that Charles E. Stuart, N. A. Balch, and Dr. Stone had said that he gave the most learned testimony of any physician who had been upon the stand. He replied, “Thank God, Samuel, that there arc three men in Kalamazoo who can appreciate talent!”

The doctor always rode an Arabian horse, and wandered about throughout the southwestern counties of Michigan as long as he could ride. He was very simple in his habits, ate but little, and that of the plainest kind of food. A thousand pages might be written of him. It has been said that no man could hear him converse five minutes without being convinced that he was a remarkable man. He was a man whom a Scott or a Dickens would have been delighted to encounter, and of whose characteristics they would have woven pages of romance more interesting than “Ivanhoe” or "Little Dorrit.” He was of medium stature, stoop-shouldered in his latter days, light-complexioned, and light-haired. He wore the brown Quaker garb. He was a great admirer of John Quincy Adams. G. B. Turner, of Cassopolis, says of him, “ He was everywhere a welcome guest, because of his quaintness, simplicity, intelligence, and honesty.” He died in the Cass County poor-house in the summer of 1873.


Backgrounds By Marie