Keweenaw Co MI

GLACIA DOME ICE RINK



Mohawk, MI (Glaciadome) (1910) - Contributed by Paul Petosky

The Glacia Dome in Mohawk, MI was opened in 1908 to 1931-32 in Mohawk. The building was just to the SE of where the grade school is now located; the entrance faced North. According to an article in the Daily Mining Gazette dated Dec 7, 1963: "...In 1908, a group of local men gathered together to form a corporation known as the Keweenaw Rink Company. Capital stock was set at ten thousand dollars, the number of shares to be one thousand with par value of ten dollars each. The originators and signers of the document were James A. Daley, Frank H. Getchell, J.P. Petermann, Willard J. Smith and Dr. A.R. Tucker. The building was constructed by Mohawk Mining Company carpenters and the rink had a surface approximately 72 by 158 feet, a few feet smaller than the Palestra [in nearby Laurium.]

The Glacia dome opened for the first time on December 28, 1908. Regular skating and dancing parties were held with music provided on weekends and on special occasions by the Mohawk band, the Keweenaw band and the Red Jacket Band. Bowling alleys were installed on the second floor. Nate Cross was manager....The first hockey team was organized for the 1908-09 season. Many of these boys played on the 1910 and 1911 teams, which won the league championship for those years. Mohawk also played exhibition games with out-of-state teams and on such occasions, the Houghton County Traction Company ran special street cars to Mohawk for these events. The "Mohawk" hockey team won the Copper Country Intermediate Championship for the 1914-15 season..." Glaciadom company officers in 1911 were: WJ Smith -Pres, Dr. AR Tucker -secr/treas, and TH Berryman. Some time later, the interior was remodeled by owner John B. "Happy Jack" Betzing constructing a canteen [snack bar] and two change rooms on the lower floor and the upper story was converted into a ball room for dancing. The Keweenaw Band played there many times.

The building closed in 1931 due to depressed economic conditions. Six years later, during the heavy snow of the 1937-38 winter, the back portion of the roof caved in. The Glaciadom was razed and sold for it's scrap wood that spring.

(The world's first artificial ice rink was called the Glaciarium, it was located in Chelsea, London in 1876; perhaps the Mohawk Glaciadome was named after it!? )



Mohawk, MI (Glaciadome) (1915) - Contributed by Paul Petosky