WELCOME
To
Lapeer Township
Lapeer County
Michigan

The town of Lapeer occupies a central position in the county on account of its railway connections and the fact of the county seat being within its limits.

The township is bounded on the north by Mayfield, east by Attica, south by Metamora and west by Elba.

December 30, 1834, the town of Lapeer was organized, including all the county of Lapeer as now organized except the townships of Almont and Imlay.

The first township meeting was held at the house of E. H. Higley, April 6, 1835.

Previous to this time the inhabitants of this extensive tract of country were obliged to go to Pontiac to pay taxes and attend to all judicial business.

At the first town meeting the following persons were elected to the several offices named, viz.: Supervisor, Jonathan R. White; clerk, Alvin N. Hart; assessors, William S. Higley, Samuel Murlin, John I. Carr; constable and collector, Morris Perry; directors of the poor, Joseph B. Moore, Samuel Murlin; commissioners of highways, Alvin McMasters, Daniel Turrill, Paul G. Davison; constables, Aaron Brigham, Joel M. Palmer; school inspectors, Minor Y. Turrill, Oliver B. Hart, Oliver P. Davison.

A wolf bounty of one dollar for each scalp was voted in pursuance of a prevailing custom at that time.

February 2, 1886, the town board met at the house of Alvin N. Hart to grant permits to persons applying for license to keep tavern for the ensuing year. Oliver B. Hart made application and the record states that “the board having satisfied themselves of the said Hart’s ability and character, do hereby permit the said Oliver B. Hart to keep tavern at his now dwelling-house in Lapeer village for the current year.”

The annual town meeting in April, 1836, for the election of town officers, commenced at the late dwelling-house of E. H. Higley. The price of wolf scalps was doubled at this meeting and other town business transacted.

September 12, 1836, a meeting was held to elect a delegate to attend the State convention at Ann Arbor, for the purpose of assenting or dissenting to the proposition of Congress. Mason Butts received thirty-three votes and Benjamin Sleeper thirty-one votes. At the general election held at the house of Oliver B. Hart in November, 1836, 100 votes were polled. The division of road districts was made in 1835. Eight districts were laid out.

Twelve highways were laid out between the first of May, 1835, and April 1, 1836. At the annual town meeting in April, 1836, a resolution was adopted that every section line be declared a highway of four rods wide.

In September, 1840, two and one-quarter acres of ground were purchased of Minor Y. Turrill at a cost of $112, for a burying ground, which was located on the east half of the southeast quarter of section 8.

March 15, 1849, the township of Mayfield was made a part of Lapeer and remained so until March, 1869.

ENTRIES OF LAND.

The following list shows the entries of land prior to the year 1846:

TOWNSHIP 7 NORTH, RANGE 10 EAST.

Section 1. Nathan Dickinson, William H. Imlay and George Beach, April 2, 1836.
Mason Butts, September 14, 1830.
Alvin N. Hart and Lemuel Weston, November 14, 1886.
Thomas Probyn, November 15, 1836.
George F. Ball, March 10, 1836.
Harry Waldorph, November 8, 1838.
Barnard Cook, December 6, 1838.
Richard J. Vosburgh, February 20, 1844.

Section 2. James Dixon, January 9, 1885.
Oliver B. Hart, February 12, 1836.
John Shafer, March 24, 1836.
Nathan Dickinson, William H. Imlay and George Beach, April 2, 1836.
A. Rood and J. S. Munson, January 13, 1836

Section 3. Clark C. Carpenter, July 19, 1834.
Harvey Gray, September 8, 1834.
Harvey Gray, May 19, 1835.
Frank Lombard, October 31, 1834.
Frank Lombard, November 5, 1834.
Harvey Thomas, July 24, 1835.
Aaron Rood, October 8, 1835.
Aaron Rood, October 29, 1835.
Aaron Rood and J. S. Munson, June 13, 1836.

Section 4. Oliver B. Hart, July 11, 1831.
George F. Ball, January 4, 1832.
Joel Palmer and Alvin N. Hart, February 23, 1832.
Walker Booth, March 24, 1832.
Joseph England and Jesse Fox, July 2, 1832.
Alvin N. Hart, January 30, 1833.

Section 5. Daniel LeRoy, September 16, 1830.
Benjamin Taggart, October 30, 1830.
Oliver B. Hart, July 12, 1831.
Joshua Terry, November 12, 1831.

Section 6. J. R. White, January 16, 1832.
Minor Y. Turrill, October 27, 1832.
Theron Simes, July 14, 1834.
John Shafer, December 18, 1835.
E. J. White, January 21, 1835.
Simeon B. Brown, February 8, 1836.
Phineas White, March 8, 1835.

Section 7. Nathan White, September 26, 1833.
William C. Young, July 4, 1834.
Enoch J. White, September 4. 1834.
George Otto, December 21, 1835.
Joshua B. Chapel, February 8, 1836.
Isaac Wheeler, March 8, 1836.
James W. Tillman, April 12, 1836.
James W. Tillman, April 20, 1836.

Section 8
Walker Booth, March 24, 1832.
Henry K. Avery, August 25,1832.
Phineas White, September 27, 1832.
Jonathan R. White, January 25, 1833.
Jonathan R. White, May 31, 1833.
Enoch J. White, March 3, 1834.
Morris Perry, March 25, 1834.
Isaac L. Smith, April 10, 1834.
Minor Y. Turrill, September 4, 1834.
Asael Hubbard, November 18, 1834.
George Otto, December 21, 1835.
Section 9
John McMaster, March 5, 1832.
Daniel Terrill, June 9, 1832.
William T. Higley, July 24, 1832.
Aaron Rood, October 8, 1835.

Section 10. Phineas White, May 31, 1833.
Aaron Rood, May 19,1834.
Samuel Hemenway, May 24, 1834.
Estes H. Higley, November 18, 1834.
Estes H. Higley, May 2, 1835.
Asael J. Gray, June 3, 1835.
John Peters, June 19, 1835.
Aaron Rood, October 8, 1835.

Section 11. Phineas White, May 31, 1833.
Ira Peck, October 30, 1835.
George Gage, December 4, 1835.
Daniel Wood, December 4, 1835.
George Gage, May 16, 1836.
Hiram Ward, May 21, 1836.
Orvis W. Rood, November 25,1886.

Section 12.
Dwight Salmon, May 26, 1836.
Asa Cole, June 27, 1838.
Thomas Ryan, November 16, 1840.
Lewis V. R. Whitaker, December 16, 1844.

Section 13. Francis Fowler, May 26, 1836.
Alonzo Orcutt, May 20, 1836.
Nathaniel C. Bullock, June 2, 1836.
Mosly Stoddard, June 24, 1836.

Section 14. Ransom Cole, January 4, 1836.
Reuben Cole, January 4, 1836.
James Turrill, May 6, 1836.
Hiram Ward, May 21, 1836.
Francis Fowler, May 20, 1836.
Alonzo Orcutt, May 26, 1836.
John Esmond, May 27, 1836.

Section 15. Isaac Goodale, November 10, 1835.
Israel W. Bullock, January 4, 1836.
Joseph Gilbert, February 9, 1836.
Henry S. Platt, May 2, 1836.
Gardner Dorrance, May 2, 1836.
Levi D. Coulee, May 2, 1836.

Section 16. Woodward & Hart, October 4, 1843.

Section 17. James Dixon, August 7, 1835.
Minor Y. Turrill, March 9, 1836.
John Thomas, March 9, 1836.
Harry S. Platt, May 2, 1836.
Gardner Dorrance, May 2, 1836.
James Turrill, May 6, 1836.
Ira Dickinson, July 5, 1836.
Margaret Dixon, July 10, 1844.

Section 18. Rensselaer Curtis, October 28, 1833.
Rensselaer Curtis, Juue 2, 1834.
Nicholas Poss, June 19, 1834.
Nicholas Poss, July 27, 1835.
Nicholas Poss, October 30, 1835.
Ira Howland, March 20, 1836.
Ira C. Alger, April 19, 1836.
Addie M. Poss, July 6, 1836.
Isaac Wheeler, July 7, 1836.
Enoch J. White. April 20, 1838.

Section 19. Trumbull Carey, October 29, 1835.
George Clark, jr., January 6, 1836.
Rebecca Clark, January 6, 1836.
Delos Davis and Thaddeus O. Martin, February 27, 1830.
Henry W. Martin, May 5, 1836.
William Osborn, January 17, 1836.
Jabez M. Corey, January 24, 1836.
James Dixon, May 8, 1837.

Section 20
Alvin N. Hart, February 28, 1832.
Alvin N. Hart, May 23, 1832.
N. Dickinson. William H. Imlay and George Beach, March 17, 1836.
Thomas Golby, July 5, 1836.
Harvey D. Felt, July 5, 1836.
Ezra Tripp, July 2l, 1837.
Stephen Tripp, July 21, 1837.
Ezra Tripp, October 23, 1837.
Stephen Tripp, October 23, 1837.
Thomas Walker, April 12, 1839.

Section 21. James Turrill, May 6, 1836.
Noah H. Hart, July 6, 1836.
George F. Ball, July 7,1836.
Rensselaer David, October 14, 1836.
Noah H. Hart, October 17, 1836.
Henry Brown, December 19, 1836.
Enos Waterbury, June 15, 1837.

Section 22
Joseph Gillman and Orrin Cartwright, March 24, 1836.
Douglas Houghton, March 28, 1836.
Francis G. Macey, June 1, 1886.
Elon G. Huntington, June 23, 1836.

Section 23
Robert Green, April 28, 1832.
Hiram Ward, May 21, 1836.
Edward D. Ives, May 25, 1836.
Francis G. Macey, June 1, 1836.
William L. Pickering, June 6, 1836.

Section 24
William L. Pickering, June 6, 1830.
Luke F. Roscoe, June 29, 1836.
Luman Bullock, January 16, 1837.
Julius Beardsley, February 10, 1838.
Tilly Hubbard, December 19, 1839.
Ira Jarvis, December 25, 1839.
Horace Berry, April 15, 1840.
Fellys Hubbard, September 28, 1841.

Section 25. Arnon W. Langdon and Francis G. Macey, May 17, 1836.
William L. Pickering, June 6, 1836.
Heman Locee, July 11, 1836.
Lyman Jarvis, April 24,1841.

Section 26. Robert Greene, April 28, 1832.
Joseph Harris, Jr., May 22, 1832.
Euratas P. Hastings, March 10, 1836.
Oliver Wiswell, April 12, 1836.
Francis G. Macey and Amon W. Langdon, May 17, 1836.
William L. Pickering, June 6, 1836.

Section 27. Francis G. Macey and Amon W. Langdon, May 17, 1836.
D. Houghton, H. G. Hubbard and T. H. Hubbard, July 7, 1836.
Gideon Tripp, July 21, 1887.
Benjamin B. Kercheval, March 5, 1838.
Charles Perkins, June 13, 1839.
Charles Perkins, November 20, 1840.

Section 28. Barnard Cook, November 2, 1835.
John Kirk, March 3, 1836.
Elizabeth Kirk, May 3, 1836.
James Turrill, May 6, 1836.
Francis G. Macey and Amon W. Langdon, May 17, 1836.
D. Langdon, H. G. Hubbard and T. H. Hubbard, July 7, 1836.
Rebecca Clark, November 10, 1836.
Hosea Woodward, May 14, 1841.
Lewis V. R. Whitney, July 5, 1841.

Section 29
George Clark, August 4, 1832.
George Clark, March 18, 1833.
John Kirk, December 28, 1833.
Joseph Jackson, December 28, 1833.
George Stringer, April 18, 1836.
Charles and Gasca Rich, July 11, 1836.
John Walker, April 12, 1839.

Section 30
Asahel Hubbard, August 19, 1833.
Sarah H. Howland, April 25, 1836.
Daniel H. Chandler, May 2, 1836.
John S. Wright, May 5, 1836.
Charles and Gasca Rich, May 12,1836.

Section 31
James Witherell, April 28,1836.
Daniel H. Chandler, May 2, 1836.
Charles and Gasca Rich, May 12,1836.
Joseph B. Morse, October 19, 1836.

Section 32
George Clark, July 2, 1832.
George Clark, February 6, 1835.
John Canan, May 28, 1836.
Matthew Ealey, May 28, 1836.
Joseph B. Morse, October 19, 1836.
George Clark, November 10, 1836.
Isaac Brown and David W. Wells, November 14,1836.

Section 33
George Clark, October 28, 1835.
John Van Allsteine, November 2, 1835.
Fred H. Stevens, March 1, 1836.
Francis G. Macey and Amon W. Langdon, May 17, 1836.
John Schuneman, Jr., May 21, 1836.
Charles and Gasca Rich, July 11, 1836.

Section 34
Francis G. Macey and Amon W. Langdon, May 17, 1836.
John Schuneman. Jr., May 21, 1836.
Addison Orcutt, January 24, 1837.
Elijah Bullock, June 17, 1844.

Section 35
Oliver Wiswall, April 12, 1836.
Francis G. Macey and Amon W. Langdon, May 11 and 17, 1836.
Clark C. Boutwell and Benjamin J. Boutwell, May 13, 1836.

Section 36
Francis G. Macey and Amon W. Langdon, May 17, 1836.

EARLY HISTORY.

The earliest operations in Lapeer Township were at the county seat in 1880, followed by settlement late in the fall of 1831; the early history is therefore largely told in the early history of Lapeer City.

In the summer of 1832 Mr. George Clark, a native of England, with a large family, came into the township and settled on section 82. Mr. Clark has been dead many years but his descendants arc prominent citizens of the town.

About this time Alvin McMaster built a saw-mill on section 8. Estes H. Higley came from Vermont and settled on section 10 in 1834. A son, George W. Higley, now lives upon the old homestead.

Mr. Estes Higley built a saw-mill on a branch of the Flint River, and also a carding and wool carding factory. William Higley also built a mill near by. A school-house was built in that vicinity. All are still standing but dilapidation has fastened itself upon them. They now serve no other purpose than to remind one of days that are gone.

A. J. Gray located here in 1885. He came from Wayne County, N. Y.

Francis Fowler settled on section 14 ill 1880. He died in 1871. Ira Peck also settled here in 1830. He was killed in a saw-mill in 1805. George Stringer located here in the spring of 1836.

The Turrills and Roods were also prominent among the early farmers of the town.

Soon after Mr. Clark’s family located here it was reported at the village that a family had settled at the oak openings, five miles distant. The social tendencies of people in those days were greater than at a later day, and the first thing which occurred to the little handful of villagers was that the solitary family of settlers five miles away, would be likely to find their advent into this new region a lonely one. A visit was planned by the women of the village, vegetables were gathered and Captain Noah H. Hart was appointed teamster. With a pair of oxen and a heavy wagon he transported the company through the woods to the home of the new comers.

The Clark habitation consisted of four posts driven into the ground, and a slight covering afforded protection from the elements. Cooking operations were carried on outside. The visit was an enjoyable one and both hosts and guests were made to feel better by the neighborly act.

The Hunter’s Creek settlement sprang up at an early day, and a postoffice by that name was established in the south part of the township. Harris Tripp, John Walker, 0. P. Davison and John Clark have been postmasters. The latter is the present incumbent of the office. The building of the Detroit & Bay City Railroad in 1872, elevated the settlement to the rank of a railway station and a shipping point. An elevator was built, and in 1873 Mr. John Clark erected a saw and shingle-mill. He also carries on the mercantile business in which he succeeded Oliver P. Davison.

The Hunter’s Creek Burying Ground Association was organized July 4, 1862. Officers: President, Thomas Clark; clerk, Oliver P. Davison; treasurer, John Clark. Changes have been made in the association, but the ground purchased is still the burial place of that neighborhood.

The First Baptist Society of Hunter’s Creek was organized in November, 1878. The trustees were as follows: Milton Titsworth, Malachi Tripp, Andrew W. "White, James Clark, Susan C. Clark. A church building was erected and is supplied from pastors of neighboring societies. There is a Methodist Episcopal Church building, which was erected at an early day but it has not been used for some time.

STATISTICAL.

The population of the town of Lapeer in 1840 was 755. Census of 1874: Population, 1,156; acres of taxable land, 20,854; of improved land, 10,871; number of sheep, 8,385; horses, 419; cows, 519. Products of the preceding year: 16,683 pounds of wool sheared, 55,544 pounds of pork marketed, 61,486 pounds of butter made, 26,106 bushels of wheat raised, 25,414 of corn, 84,474 of other grains, 9,020 of apples, 92 of pears, 198 of cherries, 12,577 of potatoes, 1,948 tons of hay cut, 1,278 pounds of fruit dried for market, 829 barrels of cider made; 200 pouuds of maple sugar were made in 1874.

In 1877 the township produced 53,564 bushels of wheat. The farmers who raised more than 1,000 bushels were as follows: John Clark & Son, 4,800; S. Read, 1,800; Mrs. S. Clark, 1,400; O. B. Pike, 1,500; G. Stringer, 1,200; M. Michael, 1,100; J. Dodds, 1,800; James Clark, 1,200; M. H. Schuneman, 4,000; G. P. Chapman, 1,600; H. C. Rood, 2,500. The largest average yield was forty acres which averaged 37 1/2 bushels.

In 1880 the population was 1,166.

The aggregate valuation of real and personal property as equalized by the board of supervisors in 1882 was $697,000. The annual report of the school inspectors of the town of Lapeer, for the year 1882, shows the number of school children to have been 306; number of school buildings, six. The school inspectors were William McQuin, H. F. Brown, H. A. Greeley, Andrew McGregor, L. J. Russell, James Reed.

TOWN OFFICERS.

1885—Supervisor, Jonathan R. White; clerk, Alvin N. Hart; collector, Morns Perry.

1830—Supervisor, Mason Butts; clerk, Levi Vosburgh; collector, Morris Perry.

1837—Supervisor, Alvin N. Hart; clerk, A. Hubbard; collector, Ira Howland.

1838—Supervisor, Horace N. Lathrop; clerk, John Ryon; collector, Ira Howland.

1839—Supervisor, Frank Lumbard; clerk, Orrin M. Evans; treasurer, Derrick Stebbins.

1840— Supervisor, Chester Hatch; clerk, Derrick Stebbins; treasurer, Martin Stiles.

1841—Supervisor, Levi Sawtell; clerk, Horace Hinman; treasurer, Aaron Rood.

1842—Supervisor, Alvin N. Hart; clerk, Isaac McKeen; treasurer, Joseph B. Hart.

1843—Supervisor, Alvin N. Hart; clerk, Isaac McKeen; treasurer, Samuel Tomlinson.

1844—Supervisor, Alvin N. Hart; clerk, D.. Miller; treasurer, Samuel Tomlinson.

1845—Supervisor, Alvin N. Hart; clerk, W. Loud; treasurer Horace D. Rood.

1846—Supervisor, Alvin N. Hart; clerk, W. Loud; treasurer Horace D. Rood.

1847—Supervisor, Alvin N. Hart; clerk, M. W. Smith; treaurer, Robert Patterson.

1848—Supervisor, Alvin N. Hart; clerk, George P. Ball; treasurer, Robert Patterson.

1849—Supervisor, Noah II. Hart; clerk, William Beech treasurer, Robert Patterson.

1850 — Supervisor, Noah H. Hart; clerk, William Beech treasurer, Robert Patterson.

1851—Supervisor, Noah H. Hart; clerk, William Beech treasurer, Asahel Gray.

1852—Supervisor, Noah II. Hart; clerk, William Beech; treaurer, Asahel Gray.

1853—Supervisor, John B. Evans; clerk, William Beech treasurer, Asahel Gray.

1854— Supervisor, John B. Evans; clerk, William Beech treasurer, Sylvester Shaffer.

1855—Supervisor, Horace N. Lathrop; clerk, William H Clark; treasurer, Sylvester Shaffer.

1856—Supervisor, John B. Evans; clerk, William H. Clark treasurer, Sylvester Shaffer.

1857—Supervisor, Henry Dodd; clerk, Hub bell Loomis; treasurer, P. J. Bope.

1858—Supervisor, E. J. White; clerk, Hubbell Loomis; treasurer, P. J. Bope.

1859—Supervisor, E. J. White; clerk, J. Henry Turrill; treasurer, Silas Wright.

1860—Supervisor, E. J. White; clerk, George S. Fletcher; treasurer, Silas Wright.

1861—Supervisor, Charles Rich; clerk, George S. Fletcher; treasurer, John I). Evans.

1862—Supervisor, Charles Rich; clerk, Stephen S. Hicks; treasurer, John B. Evans.

1863—Supervisor, Charles Rich; clerk, R. C. Vincent; treasurer, L. E. Waterbury.

1864—Supervisor, Charles Rich; clerk, Stephen S. Hicks; treasurer, L. E. Waterbury.

1865—Supervisor, Stephen S. Hicks; clerk, William Arnold; treasurer, Charles M. Davis.

1866—Supervisor, Stephen S. Hicks; clerk, Charles Rich; treasurer, Charles M. Davis.

1867—Supervisor, John B, Sutton; clerk, Henry A. Birdsall; treasurer, Charles M. Davis.

1868—Supervisor, Horace D. Rood; clerk, Henry A. Birdsall; treasurer, Charles M. Davis.

1869—Supervisor, Thomas Clark; clerk, W. F. Daley; treasurer, J. W. Teller.

1870—Supervisor, Thomas Clark; clerk, W. F. Daley; treasurer, J. W. Teller.

1871—Supervisor, Thomas Clark; clerk, Daniel Conklin; treasurer, J. W. Teller.

1872—Supervisor, Thomas Clark; clerk, Daniel Conklin; treasurer, J. W. Teller.

1873—Supervisor, W. B. Sutton; clerk, E. A. Higley; treasurer, A. A. Rood.

1874—Supervisor, W. B. Sutton; clerk. W. W. Gardner; treasurer, Peter V. B. Schuneman.

1875—Supervisor, W. B. Sutton; clcrk, E. A. Higley; treasurer, Peter V. B. Schuneman.

1870—Supervisor, George P. Chapman; clerk, E. A. Higley; treasurer, John T. Clark.

1877—Supervisor, W. B. Sutton; clerk, E. A. Higley; treasurer, John T. Clark.

1878—Supervisor, William Ilalpin; clerk, E. A. Higley; treasurer, Peter V. B. Schunemau.

1879—Supervisor, William Halpin; clerk, Peter V. B. Schuneman ; treasurer, Robert B. Walker.

1880—Supervisor, H. Palmerlee; clerk, Charles F. Maynard; treasurer, Robert B. Walker.

1881—Supervisor, H. Palmerlee; clerk, Charles F. Maynard; treasurer, Walter Butterfield.

1882—Supervisor, W. B. Sutton; clerk, Charles F. Maynard; treasurer, Walter Butterfield.

1883—Supervisor, H. Palmerlee: clerk, William McQuin; treasurer, W. B. Sutton.

BIOGRAPHICAL.

Ira Reynolds was born in Columbia County, N. Y., in 1814, and came to Lapeer in 1830, where he remained until 1839. He then took up a farm on section 11 in the township of Lapeer and conducted it till 1841, when he purchased the farm he now resides upon on section 27. He has always been a farmer; but for the past fifteen years has made a specialty of hop raising, having fifteen acres under cultivation. When he first settled on his farm he lived for a time in a small house without windows, doors or floors, and his wife did the cooking for the family beside a large log which was near the house. At that time bears, wolves and deer were quite plentiful. He was married in 1889 to Miss Julia Tripp, who died in 1848. They had three children. His second marriage occurred September 20, 1849, to Miss Rena Woodard, by whom he had five children.

George W. Higley was born in Vermont in 1880 and came with his parents to Lapeer in 1831. His father took up a large tract of land from the government on section 10 in the township of Lapeer, which he occupied until his death. Mr. Higley now owns a part of the original farm, and also eighty acres a mile to the south. He has been engaged in farming and lumbering, and was also a clerk in Detroit one year. In December, 1880, he organized the firm of Strong & Higley for the purpose of engaging in the sale of groceries, provisions and boots and shoes. Their store is located on the corner of Nepessing and Mason Streets, Lapeer. Mr. Higley has held the office of highway commissioner for the township of Lapeer.

Ashael J. Gray was born in Wayne County, N. Y., in 1818, and came to Lapeer County in the spring of 1835 and settled on section 3 in the township of Lapeer, where he has since continued to reside. He took up a large tract of land and has always been a farmer, doing his share of the hard work incident to a new country. He has held the offices of justice of the peace, treasurer and highway commissioner several terms. Was treasurer when the entire north part of the county was included in the township of Lapeer. He was married in 1842 to Miss Jane Vosburg, who died in July, 1878. They had two children—a son and daughter.

Thomas Walker, deceased, was a native of England, where he was born August 23, 1807, He came to Detroit, Mich., in June 1832, and remained there till 1836, when he returned to England and spent about one year in the laud of his birth. On his return to Detroit he engaged in business till 1840, when he came to Lapeer County and settled in the township of Lapeer on section 29, clearing up a large farm, which he managed up to the time of his death, in 1868. He was married in 1838 to Miss Mary Green, who was also a native of England. They had a family of seven children.

David Walker was born in the township of Lapeer on the old homestead in 1851, and remained on the farm until the death of his father in 1868, when he and his brother Robert bought out the heirs, and have since been in partnership. They also bought a farm on the same section, which is occupied by Robert. He was married in 1870 to Miss Belle French. They have two children.

Richard H. Read was born in New Jersey, June 14, 1814, and came to Washington, Macomb County, Mich., in 1887. After traveling about two years in Illinois, Iowa and Indiana, he located in Union, Oakland County, Mich., and engaged in farming till 1858, when he came to Lapeer County, and purchased a farm on section 28, in the township of Lapeer, upon which he still resides. He was married April 8, 1848, to Miss Anna Perry; they have a son and daughter.

Samuel Read was Born October 19, 1843, in Orion, Oakland County, Mich., and came to Lapeer, with his parents in 1858, and has since remained on the farm, which he is now managing. He was married January 17, 1872, to Miss Ella Morris, and has four children.

Jphn W. Dennis is a native of Canada, and was born in 1838, and is by occupation a carpenter and engineer. He came to Lapeer in 1865, and now owns ten acres of valuable land near the city, on section 7, upon which he has good buildings. Ultimately he expects to devote the entire place to the raising of small fruits. Was married in 1862, to Miss Louisa Michael, who is also a native of Canada. They have four children.

Matthias Caley (deceased) was born on the Isle of Man in Great Britain, in 1789, and emigrated to Utica, Oneida County, N. Y., in 1828. He moved to Detroit, Michigan, in 1830, and to Lapeer in February, 1887, and settled on section 82; his farm lying on both sides of the town line road, he built his house on section 5, in Metamora, and remained there till his death in December, 1858. There were very few settlers in the township when Mr. Caley came in. He was married about the year 1809, to Mary Stephens, and had four children.

Thomas Caley was born on the Isle of Man in 1814, and came to Utica, N. Y., in 1828, Detroit in 1830, and to Lapeer in 1887, where he remained on the old homestead, till the death of his father in 1858. Since that time has owned the old farm, and now owns 700 acres of land lying in a body, and owns in all 1,500 acres. Married ill 1841, to Jane Carron, who died in 1802. Second marriage in 1808, to Sarah Looney; they have three children.

Zadock Bates was born in Manchester, Bennington County,Vermont, in 1790, and went to Plattsburgh, N. Y., with his parents, in 1806, thence to Geauga County, Ohio, in 1820, and in 1821 went to Green Bay, Wisconsin (then Michigan), and was engaged as a clerk in a store, till 1822. He then went to St. Mary’s Falls, Lake Superior, and was in the same business for another year, and in 1823 engaged in business in Oakland County, remaining there till 1828, then moved to Pennsylvania, and was engaged in farming till 1840, when he moved to Lapeer, and settled on section 81, where he has since lived. Has cleared up a large farm with the help of his sons. Mr. Bates served several months in the army during the war of 1812. Married December 6, 1821, to Eliza Webster; they have eight children. Mr. Bates has been justice of peace four years in the township of Lapeer.

William W. Bates was born in Pennsylvania in 1834, and came to Lapeer with his parents in 1840, and remained on the old homestead till he was twenty-one years of age, and has since managed the farm. Married in 1800, to Maria L. Hamler; they have three children.

Asa Palmerlee (deceased) was born in Litchfield, Conn., in 1803, and in 1819 moved to Otsego County, N. Y., thence in 1830, to Franklinville, Cattaraugus County, N. Y., where he remained until 1850, in which year he came to Lapeer County and settled in the township of Lapeer, on section 31, where he remained till his death, which occurred in 1839. When Mr. Palmerlee first located in Lapeer, there were no roads laid out in his neighborhood, and he commenced in the wilderness, but with the help of his sons he cleared up a fine farm. He was married in 1825, to Lucy Seward; they raised a family of ten children.

Hoel Palmerlee was born in Franklinville, Cattaraugus County N. Y., in 1830, and came with his parents to Lapeer in 1850, and has lived on the homestead continuously, with the exception of four years spent in Minnesota; his mother resides with him. He has been supervisor of the township of Lapeer four years, and is the present. (1883) incumbent. He was married in 1862 to Miss Almina Johnson, who died April 15, 1869, leaving two sons; and was again married, August 20, 1874, to Miss Frances E. Brown.

Robert B. Walker was born in the township of Lapeer, Lapeer County, Mich., in December, 1849, and remained at home on the farm until he became of age. In 1872 he and his brother purchased the interest of the heirs in the homestead, and in 1879 they bought the farm which Robert now lives upon, which is located on section 29. He has held the office of highway commissioner one year, treasurer, two years, and school director nine years. Was married in December, 1874, to Miss Agues French; they have two daughters.

John G. Gates was born in Seneca, Ontario County, N. Y., in 1822. Owing to the death of his mother, he went to live with his grandfather at a very early age, and remained with him until twenty-one years old. He then went to Leroy, Genesee County, N. Y., and engaged in farming, and in 1856 came to Oakland County, Mich., where he remained until 1860, when he came to the township of Lapeer and settled on section 80, where he owns a good farm. He was married in 1840 to Miss Lois A. Wilcox, and they have seven children.

Andrew L. Kingsbury, Sr., was born in Roxbury, Delaware County, N. Y., in 1810, and in 1816 with his parents moved to Monroe County, N. Y. In 1833 he came to Shelby, Macomb County, Mich., and thence in 1844 to Lapeer County, where he located on section 30, in the township of Lapeer, where he has since resided. He has cleared up a fine farm upon which he has erected good buildings. Mr. Kingsbury held the office of supervisor one year, and highway commissioner nine years, while the townships of Lapeer and Mayfield were one, and since the division, has represented the township of Lapeer in various offices, among which may be mentioned the office of justice of the peace, and was under sheriff of the county two years. He took the United States census of the township in 1880, and for eighteen years was engaged in the insurance business, in the counties of Lapeer, Genesee, Oakland, Macomb and St. Clair. When he came to Michigan in 1888, he found himself in Detroit with a wife and child to support., and with but a shilling in his pocket; but, by energy and perseverance, he now ranks as one of the substantial farmers of his township. He was married in 1880 to Miss Lucy Gillett, who was born in Greene County, N. Y., near the Catskill Mountains. They have raised a family of ten children.

Walter Butterfield was born in Genesee County, N. Y., in 1832, and in 1852 came to Utica, Macomb County, Mich., thence to Lapeer in 1871, and purchased the farm he now resides upon, which is located on section 9. His farm is well improved, and his buildings are substantial and in keeping. Mr. Butterfield has filled the office of township treasurer two years. Was married in 1858 to Miss Martha Hotham/Hatham, they have two children.

Eli Collins was born in Yorkshire, England, in 1806, and emigrated to the United States in June, 1850, coming directly to Lapeer County, Mich., and located on section 20, of the township of Lapeer, where he has since resided. Mr. Collins has been a hard working man, having cleared up the greater part of his farm which is now classed with the best. He was married in 1831 to Miss Fanny Nailer, who died in 1849; was again married in 1850 to Miss Elizabeth Winterburn, and they have had four daughters, three of whom are school teachers.

O. B. Pike was born in Monroe County, N. Y., in 1824, and came to Livingston County, Mich., in 1842. He followed threshing for a season, and in 1844 went to Saginaw, and was in the employ of James Fraser, who built the Fraser House in Bay City. Returning to Monroe County in 1847 he purchased a farm, and was engaged in farming until 1852, when he went to Ohio and bought a steam saw-mill, which he operated till 1856, when he again came to Lapeer and engaged in farming. In 1805 he purchased the farm he now owns on section 17. He was married in 1840 in Saginaw to Miss Mary Ann Eastman. They have two sons and five daughters. Mr. Pike has held the office of highway commissioner for the township of Lapeer three years.

William H. Looks was born in Canada, in 1829, moved to Illinois in 1858 and was engaged in farming and lumbering till 1873, when he came to Otsego County, Michigan, and engaged in lumbering, and is still in that business. In 1881 came to Lapeer and bought the farm he now lives on which is on section 9. He also owns farms on sections 10, 15 and 16; he has a fine farm and elegant buildings. Married in 1851, to Agnes Gray; they have five children, Adam, Jane, Ellen, William and Mary.

George C. Tripp, deceased, was born March 2, 1805, in New York, came to Lapeer, Lapeer County, Mich., in 1846, and settled on section 35, cleared up his farm, and soon after came to Lapeer, built a saw-mill on his own farm on the south branch of Flint River; he lives on the farm till his death in 1854. Married in 1824 to Harriet Beeman who died in 1843; they had eight children.

John L. Tripp was born in New York, March 14, 1833, came to Lapeer with his parents in 1846, and has always lived on the old farm of 160 acres on section 35; has been engaged in farming since his father’s death, and ran the saw-mill till 1877. Married April 10, 1857, to Sarah A. Dailey, who died March 29, 1883; they had two children, Libbie, now Mrs. Herand, and Frederick A.

Henry Dodds, deceased, was born in Lyons, Wavne County, N. Y., in 1810, and came to Lapeer County in 1851. He settled on section 11 in the township of Lapeer, where he purchased a farm upon which his son, John H. Dodds, now resides. He engaged exclusively in farming until his death, which occurred in 1874. He was married in 1834 to Miss Diantha Gray, who was born in Brandon, Vt., in 1813. They had six children, of whom William lost his life in the army.

John H. Dodds was born in Lyons, Wayne County, N. Y., in 1850, and came to Lapeer with his parents in 1851, remaining at home until the death of his father, and has since managed the farm. He was married in 1879 to Miss Sarah M. Miller. They have one child.

Alpheus Rood, deceased, was born in Lapeer, Lapeer County, May 10, 1839. His father, Aaron Rood, came to Lapeer from Vermont in an early day, locating land near Lapeer City to give each of his sons a good farm. Alpheus was born on the farm where his widow and family now reside, and after becoming of age engaged in farming until his death, June 30, 1875. He was the second white child born in the township of Lapeer. Was married in December, 1863, to Miss Martha E. Goss, by whom he had six children: Frank G., Ward O., John R., Blanche, who died in 1871, Dwight A., and Mary E. Mrs. Rood was born in Greene County, N. Y., August 18, 1838, and was the daughter of Nicholas Goss. He came to the township of Arcadia in 1837, and located 360 acres of land and in 1848 came with his family to reside permanently. Mrs. Rood now resides on the farm where her husband died, on section 10.

William Brooks was born in Canada in 1838, and in 1861 came to Burnside and purchased a farm, where he resided until 1870, when he came to Lapeer and bought a farm on section 11, where he now resides. He was married in 1866 to Miss Caroline Gage, daughter of George Gage, one of the first settlers of Lapeer, They have a family of four children. She was born on the farm where she now resides.

C. T. Dean was born in Hamilton, Northumberland County, Ontario, in 1849, and came to Pontiac, Mich., in 1861; thence to the village of Lapeer in May, 1862. He resided there until 1865 when he located in the township on section 4, where he has since been engaged in farming, with the exception of one year he was in the Lapeer express office, and one year traveling for a Cincinnati safe company. He was married in February, 1875, to Miss Delia Owen, who was born in New York, and has four children.

Francis Fowler, deceased, was born in Onondaga County, N. Y., October 12, 1805, and came to Lapeer in 1836. He settled on section 14, where he cleared up a farm, and also worked at the stone mason trade. He was married May 12, 1839, to Miss Laura Woodard, who was born in New York. Mr. Fowler’s death occurred September 6, 1871, and Mrs. Fowler’s March 9, 1874. They left six children.

F. E. Fowler was born in the township of Lapeer, May 15, 1842. He worked at the carpenter's trade until the death of his father in 1871, since which time he and his brother have worked the homestead. He was married in 1874, and has two children.

A. C. Russell was born in Huntington, Vt., April 14, 1810. Moved to St. Lawrence County with his parents in 1816, where he remained until 1871. He then came to Lapeer and purchased a farm on section 14, where he now resides. February 25, 1831, he was married to Miss Eliza Higley who died November 15, 1873. They raised a family of eight children, losing two sons in the late war.

L. J. Russell was born in St. Lawrence County, N. Y. in 1847, remaining there until 1868, when he came to Lapeer, and has since been engaged in farming and lumbering. Since 1872 he has resided on his farm on section 14. He was married in 1876 to Miss Mary Norley, and has three children.

Francis Ruby was born in Hume, Allegany County, N. Y., in 1828, and came to Shelby, Macomb County, Mich., with his parents, in 1835. He remained there until 1868, when he came to Lapeer City, where he was the proprietor and owner of a liquor store till 1877. He then purchased a farm and saw-mill on section 22, which he has since owned and conducted. In 1846 he married Miss Elizabeth Casler, and has three children.

Ira Peck, deceased, was born in Connecticut December 5, 1805, and when a child moved to Cortland County with his parents. He came to Oakland County, Mich., in 1835, and the following year to Lapeer, where he settled on section 11, remaining there several years, when he removed to section 24, where he resided until his death March 14, 1865. Was killed by being caught in the belt of a saw mill. He was married September 10, 1832, to Miss Sarah Ann Simmons, who was born in Steventown, Rensselaer County, N. Y., April 17, 1813. They had six children, George S., who died May 11, 1856, Miles G., Jerome T., who died May 31, 1849, Sarah A., William J., and John S.

Miles G. Peck was born in Cortland County, N. Y., February 8, 1835, and came to Lapeer in 1836. He has since been a resident of the township, and has a farm on section 24. He was married in 1862 to Miss Mary Harris, and has four children.

Charles Harris, deceased, was born in Liverpool, England, in 1792, and came to Hudson, N. Y., in 1822. He came to Lapeer in 1841, and settled on section 26, where he remained until his death in 1856. Twenty-one years of his life he was captain of a vessel on the ocean. In 1832 he married Miss Sophia Gardner, by whom he had six children.

Gardner J. Harris, son of Charles Harris, was born in Hudson, N. Y., in February, 1839, and came to Lapeer with his parents in 1841. He managed the farm after his father’s death until his own, which occurred February 4, 1882. He was married in 1861 to Miss Hulda A. Brooks, a native of Canada, by whom he had two children. David Brooks, her father, came to Lapeer from Canada in 1848, and settled on section 24, residing there until 1860, when he went to Missouri, where he remained until his death in 1872.

George P. Chapman was born in Canada in 1834, and came to Lapeer, September, 1861, remaining a year, when he engaged in lumbering near Saginaw. In 1869 he purchased a farm on section 14, where he now resides. Since coming to the State has been engaged in lumbering and farming, and now owns a fine farm upon which there are excellent buildings. He was married in 1866 to Miss Julia E. Higley, and has seven children.