Leelanau County MI
The oldest existing newspaper in Leelanau county is the "Enterprise" published at Leland but founded at Northport by B. H. Derby in 1877. In 1879 Mr. Derby sold it to W. C. Nelson, the present editor and proprietor, who has been its owner continuously with the exception of a sbort period when George A. Cutler had a half interest in it. Following the change in the county seat the "Enterprise" was moved to Leland in January, 1883.
The Leelanau Tribune was started by A. H. Johnson, at Northport in June 1873. In the winter of 1877-8, Mr. Johnson removed it to Suttons Bay. In 1880 it was sold to the Tribune Publishing Company, who changed its name to the Tribune and removed it to Traverse City, where, after a short time, its publication was discontinued. Mr. Nelson commenced his career as a printer on the Leelanau Tribune.
The "Northport Leader", "Empire Journal" and "Leelanau News", of Suttons Bay are all of comparatively recent birth.
A History of Northern MI and its people Perry F. Powers & Harry Gordner Cutler 1912 Pg161