Leelanau County 1880 - A.H. Johnson, compiler.
"The Grand Traverse region, embracing all the territory north of the Manistee and bordering on lake Michigan and Grand Traverse-Bay, had been for many centuries, prior to its settlement by the whites, inhabited by Indians. The deep and well worn trails leading in various directions through the country, the old clearings at Little Traverse, Wagoshense or Fox Point, Old Mission, Cat Head Point and other places, the old scars on maple trees, deeply inbedded in the wood and nearly grown over where they had been tapped for sugar generations ago; all these things observed by the earliest white settlers corroborate the statements of the oldest Indians that this country, both on the account of the abundance of fish in the lakes and hay and of game in the forests, had been, from a very remote period, a favorite resort for the aborigines. A recording to the most reliable traditions the Indians which still remain here, first acquired possession of ^he country about two hundred and fifty years ago.
"In the. year 1808, the same in which the city of Quebec was founded by the French, a party of savages belonging to the Chippeways. which inhabited Grand Manitoulin Island on the northeastern coast of Lake Huron, set sail in canoes in search of the white settlements on the St. Lawrence, being prompted to undertake the enterprise by the dream of one of the old men of the tribe, who informed them that a strange people from the region of the sun had appeared on the banks of that river. They proceeded on their journey in their frail craft little dreaming that the Lime would come when the waters through which they passed would be white with the sails of mighty ships bearing the commerce of a vast nation. At length, arriving opposite the site Of the present city of Quebec, they discovered the French, who invited them to land and treated them with great civility, furnishing them with clothing such as they themselves wore, and giving them lire arms and merchandise in exchange for furs. The Indians, highly pleased with the treatment they had received, after remaining a few days, returned home, having promised to re-visit the French soon and bring with them a quantity of furs which the latter agreed to purchase. In this "way a considerable trade sprung up between the French and the boldest and most enterprising of the Chippeways, who in their frequent voyages between their country and Quebec, learned something of the manners of civilized people, and improved somewhat by having a fixed aim and continuously pursuing a definite purpose, in time gained a decided superiority over those Indians who remained at home and took no part in the perils of commerce and navigation. The envy of the latter was soon aroused to such a degree that the traders were finally compelled to abandon the Island, probably within a few years after their first adventure. Upon their separation from the remainder of the tribe the look the name of Ottawas and located on Mackinaw. Island and on the main land south of the straits. They soon made incursions to the south, and in the neighborhood of Cross Village encountered a hostile tribe known as the Prairie Indians who then occupied the Grand Traverse region. A fierce battle ensued, in which the latter were overcome and fled. The Ottawas following up the advantage they had gained, principally by means of fire arms obtained from the French, and which their adversaries did not possess, pursued the Prairies to Sleeping Bear Point and again attacked and re-pulsed them with considerable loss so that they were compelled to fly with such precipitance as to leave much of their camp equipage behind. They were again hotly pursued by the invaders until they reached Pere Marquette, where they were hemmed in on a narrow point between lake Michigan and "Marquette lake and river, and the final and decisive battle was fought, resulting in the almost total extinction of the Prairies, a few only escaping by swimming the river. The Ottawas were thus left in the undisputed possession of the country. They named the place of the last battle Aninewinkipekaguning, signifying "place of men's heads and ribs, by which name it is known among the Indians to this day. In the course of time a reconciliation took place between the Chippeways. which were then one of the most numerous and powerful tribes in the Northwest and Ottawas, by which the former were allowed a joint occupancy of the Grand Traverse region with the latter, and the two tribes have continued to dwell here together until the present time. The remnants of these bands at Pishabatown, Northport and Little Traverse, deprived of their hunting grounds by the settlement of the country, and receiving from the white man many of his worst vices, with- out any of his virtues, incapable of profiting by the example of civilization set before them, are fast fading away, and the red man, who once roamed these forests the sole proprietor of the soil, will soon disappear forever.
"The writer of this sketch has been told by the Rev. Geo. N. Smith, of Northport, that he has visited the place of the battle of Sleeping Bear and found there buried in the drifting sands, the clay kettles, set on stones, as they had been left by the Indians in the precipitation of their flight.
"In 1665, Father Claude Allouez, founded the first white settlement on Lake Superior, and Father Marquette having been sent to this Ottawa Mission, as it was called, arrived at the Sault St, Marie in the spring of 1668 and began his work on the American side. The following year Father Dablon, the Superior of the Mission, joined him; and this, according to the best authorities, was the first permanent settlement made on the soil of Michigan by the whites. The Indians had inhabited the island of Mackinaw at least some years previous to this. Marquette himself came to Mackinaw in 1670, and in the following year established on Point Iroquois the Mission of St. Ignace. It is now known as Point St. Ignace.
"From the autobiography of Alexander Henry, the first English: fur trader who ventured among the Indians at Mackinaw, Ave get our first mention of Grand Traverse, although we have good authority for believing that the Jesuit Missionaries already mentioned had visited the countries all along the shores of Lake Michigan and her bays. These missionaries combined with their religious fervor a zeal for exploration which has given them a foremost place in the history of the New World, and we have good reason for believing that "Le Grande Traverse" was sp called by Father Marquette and his co-laborers. The best authorities give the place of Marquette's death as being some distance south of the promontory known as Sleeping Bear, near the mouth of a small river probably the Platte. After his death his comrades Pierre and Jacques, coasted on through the waters of our bay, back to the mission of St. Ignace.
"The fur trader, Henry, who began his traffic with the Indians at Mackinaw in 1761, and was carried away captive at the time of the massacre of Fort Mackinaw, after having spent the winter of 1763 in the region of the Aux Sable river, hunting with his captors, gives an account of meeting with a band of Indians from this region. He writes as follows:— At Le Grand Traverse we met a large party of Indians, who appeared to labor, like ourselves, under considerable alarm, and who dared to proceed no further lest they should be destroyed by the English. Frequent councils were held, and I told them that if ever my countrymen returned to Mackinaw I would recommend them to their favor, on account of the good treatment I had received from them. Thus encouraged they embarked at an early hour the next morning. In crossing the bay we experienced a storm of thunder and lightning. Our port was the village of L'Arbre Croche, which we readied in safety. (Cross Village, or LaCroix, was well known as L'Arbre Croche, for sometime after the settlement at Old Mission.)
We have then the traditional settlement of this region by the Indians, and its discovery by the Jesuit missionaries. We now come to the time of its actual occupancy by the whites. The Rev. Dr. Morse, father of the inventor of the telegraph, visited Mackinaw, and preached the first Protestant sermon ever delivered in this portion of the Northwest, This was in June, 1820. Becoming interested in the condition of the traders and natives, he made a report of his visit to the United . Foreign Mission Society of New York, in consequence of which the Rev. Wm. M. Ferry, father of Thomas W. Ferry, was sent in \$22 to explore the field. It resulted in the establishment of a school which was kept up until 1837, at which time, the population having so changed around. Mackinaw, it. was thought to be no longer a desirable spot for an Indian Mission. At the time of closing, and for some years, the school and church had been under the patronage of the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions.
"Soon after this Rev. Peter Doughtery, having been sent by the Presbyterian Board of Missions, founded his school at Elk Rapids, then Tawassing. Learning from the Indians of the beautiful peninsula which lay to the westward, and listening to their glowing accounts, he determined to see for himself. He accordingly crossed with some Indians and explored the northern end of the peninsula. He found an excellent harbor, good farming lands, and altogether so many natural advantages that he at once determined to remove his mission thither, which he did in the spring of 1838.
"In the spring of 1839, the surveyors ran their first lines through this wilderness, and the Indians received the first intimations of rival ¦ ownership. This was emphatically their Paradise, where they spent their summers in fishing, and farming in their original fashion. During the winter they sought their hunting grounds to the southward, where game was more abundant.
"Now the whites had come and began teaching them a new way of living. The Government sent its farmer, its blacksmith and its teacher,-and asked them to lay aside many of their old habits and customs and learn of the white man the arts of civilization. More than thirty years have passed, and the progress made by them can hardly have been such as to the hearts of those who have labored among them with any great satisfaction.
"Among the first who came in the employ of government were John M. Johnson, as farmer, Isaac George as blacksmith and Mr. Bradley as teacher. The old Indian clearings began to be cultivated after a new fashion, and the one yoke of oxen and cart were made to do such duty as did literally astonish the natives.
"Joseph Dame landed at Old Mission Sept. 18th, 1841, superseding John M. Johnson as farmer, and in a diary kept by him are many things of interest. On his arrival he found a yoke of oxen provided by government but nothing to feed them. He inquired of Indians where he could get grass for hay. They said on the east side of the bay. He went over and found a marsh and a beautiful stream of, water with a white clay or marl bottom, and called it White Water, and the township of Whitewater, thus deriving its name, to-day consisted of finely cultivated farms, giving every evidence of prosperity. The diary goes on to say that the hay being cut was bound with green withes into bundles and brought by the Indians to the bay shore, the distance being fully a mile. The next season, at the suggestion of Mr. Dame, the Indians sent to Green Bay and bought a barrel of wheat. When seeding time came, the yoke, plow and harrow were transported by boat, while the oxen were driven over the trail up by way of Bowery Harbor to an Indian, village, about eight miles north of Traverse City. Here was sown the first wheat in the Grand Traverse region, and a good crop repaid the laborers for their toil. They had the wheat but no means of grinding, yet the Indians found use for it by boiling and preparing their corn. From that time wheat was raised every year, and soon they found themselves in possession of a sufficient amount to warrant a trip to mill—not to the mill on Boardman river, nor to any one of the dozen now scattered through the country, but to the mill at Green Bay!
"The government made an appropriation of $400 per year for schools for the natives, and it was this appropriation which aided in the support of Mr. Dougherty's school, the Board of Missions paying all expenses beyond that amount. In time other schools were established at other points about the bay. At the expiration of the Schoolcraft treaty, another treaty was concluded between the government and these same tribes, which extended from 1856 to 1866. This was conducted on the part of the U. S. by Commissioner Manypenhy, who was an honest, upright man, and won the confidence of the Indians.
"After the first treaty was concluded at Mackinaw by Schoolcraft, he received the appointment of Indian agent for this district. at that time embracing all of Michigan and apart of Wisconsin. Schoolcraft was succeeded by. Stuart, of Detroit, then followed Richmond, who was superseded by Babcock, of Grand Rapids, but who was soon removed to give place to Rev. William Sprague, of Kalamazoo, after whom came Gilbert, of Cold water, then Rev. Fitch, who was in turn followed by Hon. D. C. Leach, then Richard Smith, who was lost with his wife, on Saginaw bay, and lastly, Rev. Mr.Betts, of Saginaw.
"After remaining at Old Mission about three years Dea Dame, removed to Wisconsin, but, his family not being in good health, he soon decided to return, and, in the spring of 1859, was landed at the Manitou Island, where he procured a fish boat to bring him across to the main land. He then took an Indian trail and struck the bay at what is now Northport, where he found Rev. Geo. K. Smith, with his party of Indians already located. Finding there was a good harbor Mr. Dame, in company with a man named Merrill, sent to the land office, at Ionia, and entered thirty acres of land, and in the winter of 1852-3 with the help of Indians he built a wharf, and becoming more and more pleased with the country, he in Jan. 1854, wrote a letter to the New York Tribune, giving a glowing description of Grand Traverse region. The letter was published in March. Prior to this time a post-office had been established at Old Mission, which, as yet, was the only one about the bay. Mails at this time were received "about once a month. Dea. Dame repaired to Old Mission post-office and received, by the first mail following the publication of his letter-in the Tribune, sixty-four letters, and the next mail forty-four, and for many months the letters came pouring in, full of inquiries in regard to the new country. Soon pioneers began to come in, among which were John E. Fisher who settled at Glen Arbor. Mr. Marble who entered 700 acres of land, at the carrying point. H. 0. Hose, who entered land two miles north of North port. Messrs Burbeck and White entered some six or seven hundred acres; Rev. G. Smith about two hundred; Timothy Gladden about two hundred; Wm. Copeland about two hundred; Dea. Dame about two hundred. Soon after a town was laid out at North port, and a little village started, called Waukay. Which was afterward annexed to Northport. Other settlers were expected, and the prospect was fair for a speedy settlement of the country, but about this time the land was withdrawn from market for five years, to give the Indians opportunity to select lands which the-government was to give them by treaty. Following that it was to remain out of market rive years more to enable the Indians to select and buy, during which time no white man could buy an acre. This of course, put a stop to immigration. No land could be entered within the reservation, though some improvements were made on Indian lands, and the little village winch grew up at the lumbering points gradually increased in population and enter- prise.
"The school at Old Mission was continued until 1853, at which time Mr. Doughtery removed with those of the Indians who chose to follow to New Mission.
"He began building at the latter point in 1852, and so far completed his seminary as to be able to occupy it in August of the following year. Here he remained carrying on the work until the year 1870, since which time the school has been discontinued.
"Mr. Doughtery so identified himself with the settlement of this country that we cannot forbear speaking of him further. He was devoted to the missionary work, and not -only the spiritual, but the temporal well-being of those about him received his care and watchfulness. Though quiet and unobtrusive, he was ever ready to respond to the needs of others. He was preacher, teacher and physician to the whole Grand Traverse region. In the latter capacity he performed much hard labor, taking long and stormy trips in canoes or over the Indian trails. Unlike our physicians at the present time, he did not always wait to be sent for. Mrs. Duncan, who was the first white woman in Traverse City, occupied a log shanty near Greiliek & Co.'s planing mill. She was taken very sick. The Indians passing to and fro between this point and Old Mission became aware of her condition and informed Mr. Doughtery. Without loss of time he immediately hastened to her relief. Traveling on foot over the trail he reached Boardman river, but, finding no canoe, he took off his clothing, slung it on his back, and swam across. He remained with Mrs. Duncan until she began to recover, when, being set across the Board man by boat, he smarted on his twenty mile walk homeward, carrying with him the gratitude of the little settlement"
Lewis Miller, of Traverse City, is the oldest continuous settler in the Grand Traverse Region. He moved to Old Mission in 1841, and from thence he moved to New Mission in 1855, opening a general merchandise store, buying fur's etc., and doing an extensive business. He continued business at this point until 1867, when he moved to his present place of residence. He speaks the Indian language fluently, and is thoroughly conversant with their customs.
Without doubt, to Rev. Geo. N. Smith, of Northport, belongs the honor of being the first white settler in Leelanau county. In April 1839, he sailed from Allegan, in this State, with seven Indians in a birch bark canoe. At this time the: was prospecting with a view of locating an Indian mission in this region. In 1849, he and the Indians belonging to the; Congregational mission at Allegan, (called the Old Wing Mission,) moved to Northport, Leelanau County. He previously; had labored as missionary at this mission in Allegan. The Indians were driven from their grounds at that place by the prevalence of the small-pox among the Hollanders, who were beginning to settle in that locality. This disease has more terrors to them than all other dangers, and, as soon as it appeared, they abandoned their farms and all their provisions, in dismay, and took to their boats. On their way north, in their flight to escape its ravages, they stopped at Grand Haven and advised all the leading men to come to Grand Traverse, where, they said, they would not be molested by any white settlers for fifty years to come." This was in June, 1849. That they were false prophets has been proven, for after a lapse of thirty-one years the white population of this region is about 40,000! The name of the Old Wing Mission was transferred to the mission established at Northport. It was named in honor of chief Owing we, or wing, who lived at an Indian village called Kahkichewung, west of what is now known as Petoskey City, in Emmet county. This chief was uncle to Joseph Waukazoo, or Ogenahninisse, chief man or ruler, who first started the Old Wing Mission at Allegan in 1838. Mr. Smith held the appointment of missionary among these Indians until the close of Pierce's administration in 1857. He was then appointed by Indian Agent II. C. Gilbert, to locate the Indian lands under the new treaty.
Rev. Geo. N. Smith has devoted a greater portion of his life to the service of God among the Indians of Michigan. He speaks their language fluently, and probably is more conversant with their manners and history than any other white person now living.
James McLaughlin came with Mr. Smith, and Joseph Dame arrived the same season, but the settlement of the county by farmers did not commence until about ten years litter.
The first dwelling built in Leelanau county was built near the bay shore in what is now the village of Northport, by J. McLaughlin, assisted by the entire community. The next house built was a portion of the one now occupied by tin Rev. G. N. Smith
The Indian Mission church was organized at the dwelling of Rev. G.N. Smith, in 1840, by this gentleman and Rev. P, Dougherty.
"The Mormons located on Beaver Island about the year 1850, and numbered-less than two hundred souls. They gave the little colonies on the bay much annoyance by the predatory excursions they were accustomed to make about the county, They soon became very hold in their depredations, and would carry away cattle or anything within their reach. While on one of these expeditions, one of their number was shot at Old Mission. At another time a party of three-come then to traffic with the colonists, bringing several barrels of fish in their boat. Joseph Dame having a surplus of such merchandise as they desired, soon struck up a bargain with them and bore away the fish and money they offered in payment. After their departure, on making an examination of his wares, In found, to his chagrin, that the supposed barrels of fish contained nothing but salt and sand, and that the money was counterfeit. Indignant at such an outrage, he armed himself and, accompanied by seven or eight of the most courageous colonists, followed in hot pursuit. After an hour or so of vigorous rowing, they overtook the Mormons pulling leisurely out of the bay. Seeing but three men in their boat, the valiant Dame supposing, of course, that, with his large, crew, victory was in store for him, advanced to the attack.
"But imagine his consternation, on beholding, as the bow of his boat grazed the side of theirs and he was about to pounce upon his defrauders, a fierce band of fifteen or twenty armed Mormons leap from their concealment in the bottom of the boat and present their arms to receive the threatened assault. It is said, that in this critical emergency, the redoubtable commander behaved with great coolness and valor, but, that some of his followers manifested such a strong determination not to risk an encounter with such a superior foe, that he was forced to postpone an engagement. So, without firing a shot or exchanging a word, the hostile forces separated, and what might have been the most memorable naval battle ever fought in these waters, and was brought to a sudden and inglorious end.
"On the first of May, J 831,.Perry Hannah landed at Traverse City in company with Captain Boardman, the father of Horace Board man, who, in reality, owned the property and furnished the means for carrying on the business. On their arrival, much to the surprise of the old gentleman, they found the null closed and the men all assembled in the boarding house, pleasantly whiling away the time playing cards. At that time the entire tract of land where Traverse City is built was densely covered with pine woods, the only opening, along the shore of the bay being the narrow road from the mill to the dock.
"June 1,1858, Antoine Manseau located on Suttons Bay and soon after built the grist mill now standing there. In the following September John I. Miller moved to Leland and erected a saw mill at the mouth of Carp river. About the same time John E. Fisher also built a saw mill at Glen Arbor. During the year previous Seth H. Norris built a mill on a small stream that puts into the bay on the western shore about three miles north of Traverse City. With the exception of the few people at the points named and at Northport there were no inhabitants in Leelanau county until about the year 1859, when the farmers bee:an to come in; and from that time the openings in the "woods have continued to multiply and widen, until very little land remains vacant and the whole county, from one extremity to the other, is dotted with the cabins of the pioneer."
As we have before intimated, owing to the conditions of the Indian treaty of 1855, the settlement of the county progressed but slowly. The few in the territory now known as Leelanau county patiently awaited the dawn of a more prosperous era—the time when the Indian reservation lands should come into market.
In the year 1851, by act of the Legislature approved April 7, Grand Traverse county, included in the territory called, prior to that time, Omena, was organized.
In 1853, we find that the territory now embraced in the counties of Leelanau and Benzie, constituted one township, called Leelanau, of which Samuel G. Boice was supervisor. At a meeting of the Board of Supervisors of Grand Traverse county, held in March, 1850, the townships of Glen Arbor and North Unity were organized from territory of Leelanau Township.
In 1853 Samuel G. Boice was the Supervisor from Leelanau. Joseph Dame represented the township in 1854, and in 1855, he was succeeded by Lansing Marble. In 1856, Geo. N. Smith held the office of Supervisor.
After this time the respective townships of Leelanau, Glen Arbor and North Unity, or Centerville, were represented as follows:
Leelanau Centerville Glen Arbor
In the spring of 1862 the Northport and Newaygo Slate Road was opened between Northport and Traverse City. Previous to this, the only road between these two places was a torturous Indian trail, consequently the opening of this wagon road was an important event for the inhabitants along the route. The incidents of the journey of Deacon Dame and wife, Wm Voice and wife and Capt P. Nelson,.who were the first persons to travel over this road are graphically portrayed by a writer in the Grand Traverse Herald of March 8,1862. The only hotel oh the road "was a Public House about 17 miles from Northport." We quote a description of this hotel and its accommodations: "The house is about 10 feet square—built of small logs or poles.; it is about four, feet high; had to enter on all-fours; and in the other end of the house there was a place to build a fire with a hole left in the roof, (which was covered with basswood bark) for the smoke to go out, and there were two beds on each side, made of hemlock, branches." Rut according to the account, the travelers had a good dinner, and as there was no landlord to collect their hills they went away leaving them unpaid, which probably gave the host no uneasiness, as generous hospitality is and always has been a prominent characteristic of the people of this county.
In the winter of 1802-3 an act organizing the county of Leelanau passed the Legislature, the full text of said act we give below:
To organize, the County of Leelanau and to define the County of Benzie:
Section 1 —The People of the State of Michigan enact. That all that part of the county of Leelanau which lies north of the south line of township twenty-eight north shall be organized; and the inhabitants thereof shall be entitled to all the rights, privileges and powers to which by law the inhabitants of other organized counties in this state are entitled.
SECTION 2. —At the township meeting to be held in the several townships in said county on the first Monday in April next, there shall be an election of all the county officers to which by law the said county may be entitled whoso term of office shall expire on the first day of January, A. D, eighteen hundred and sixty-live, and when their successors shall have been elected and qualified.
Section 3. —The Board of County Canvassers under the provisions of this act shall meet on the second Tuesday succeeding the day of election an herein appointed, in the village of Northport, in said county, at the house of Joseph Dame, or at such other place as may be agreed upon and provided by such Board, awl organize by appointing one of their number Chairman, and another Secretary, and shall there-upon proceed to discharge all the duties of a Board of County Canvassers as in other cases of the election of County officers as prescribed by the general law.
Section 4— The location of the county seat of said county shall be determined by the vote of the electors of said county at a special election which is hereby appointed to be held by the several townships of said county on the first Monday in June next. There shall be writhen on the ballots then polled by the qualified electors of said county, one of the following* names of places, to-wit. Glen Arbor, Leelanau or Northport, and that one which shall receive the greatest number of votes shall be the county seat of the County of Leelanau.
Section 5.— It shall be the duty of the several boards of township inspectors in each of the townships of the said County to conduct the elections authorized by the provisions of this act and to make returns thereof, in accordance with the general provisions of law for conducting elections in this State, so far as the same may be applicable thereto.
Section 6.—The hoard of County Canvassers for the special election for locating the county seat shall consist of the persons appointed on the day of such special election by the several boards of township inspectors, and said board of county canvassers shall meet on the second Tuesday succeeding the day of said special election, at the house of Otto Thies, in-the village of Leland, and having appointed one of their number Chairman, and the County Clerk of said county acting as Secretary, shall proceed to canvass the votes and determine the location of the county seat in accordance therewith, and it shall be the duties of the Clerk of said board to file a copy of the determination of said board as to the location of the county seat, signed and certified by him, and countersigned by the chairman, with the Secretary of State, and with the township Clerks of the several townships in said county.
Section 7—All that part of the County of Leelanau which lies south of the. south line of township twenty-eight north, shall be and remain the county of Benzie, and the several townships thereof shall be attached for civil and municipal purposes to the county of Grand Traverse.
Section 8—The Secretary of State is hereby directed to furnish the township Clerk of the township of Leelanau with a certified copy of this act^ and it shall be the duty of said Clerk to give the same notice of the elections to be held under the provisions of this act that is required by law to be given by the Sheriff of unorganized counties.
Section 9.—That the said county of Leelanau when so organized shall be attached to the tenth Judicial circuit, and the Judge of said Circuit shall hold courts in said county as by law in such cases made and provided.
Section 10.—All acts and parts of acts contravening the provisions of this act are hereby repealed so far as any provisions therein may conflict with this act.
Section 11.—This act shall take immediate effect.
The first meeting of the Board of Supervisors of the newly-fledged county was held in May, 1863, at which meeting Samuel G. Wood, of Northport, had the honor of being elected Chairman. The record of this first meeting we give in full below:
County of Leelanau and State of Michigan. The Supervisors of the county of Leelanau in the State of Michigan, held their first meeting at the house of Otto Thies in the village of Leland,- in said county, on the 9th day of May. A. D. 1863, Present, Samuel G. Wood, Supervisor of the township of Leelanau, and Otto Thies, Supervisor of the township of Centerville. The meeting proceeded to organize by appointing Samuel G. Wood, Chairman of said Board, when the following business was transacted:
The bond of the County Treasurer, John I. Miller, was approved by the said Board, and the amount of said bond fixed at the sum of six thousand dollars.
James M. Burbeck, John I. Miller, and Geo Kay, were appointed Superintendents of the Poor.
It was resolved to hold a meeting of the boards of Supervisors of the several counties of Leelanau. Grand Traverse, and Antrim for the purpose of having a settlement between said counties.
The County Clerk of the county of Leelanau was appointed to procure a County Seal for the county of Leelanau.
The sum of five thousand dollars fixed to be raised by tax is in the year 1863, on the taxable property of said county for a Volunteer's Family Relief Fund.
The meeting then adjourned sine die.
At the second or annual meeting of the Board, held in October, 1863, the township of Bingham was organized from the following territory:
"Commencing at the nw cor of T. 80 IF. N.R. W and following the range line between Ranges 11 and 12 west, south four miles or sections, then W. on the section line between sections 24 and 25, to the narrows of Carp Like, thence following the east shore of said Narrows and Traverse Lake in a southerly direction, and so on around the shore of the south end of said Traverse Lake until it intersects the line between section 9 and 10 of town 28 ST., R 12 W., and thence following said line south to the south line of said town 28, thence following said town line east to Grand Traverse Bay, thence following Grand Traverse Bay northerly to the north line of town 30 N., U. 11 W., and thence following said town line to the place of beginning.
The salaries of the county officers were fixed at the following amounts per annum: Treasurer, $50; Clerk, $75; Judge of Probate, $100.
Following is a list of the county officers of Leelanau county for the respective terms, from the organization of the county until the present time:
1864. Sheriff, Geo. N. Smith; Clerk, Gerhard Verfurth; Deputy Clerk, James M. Burbeek: Treasurer, John T. Miller: Prosecuting Attorney, Eli C. Tuttle.
1865. Sheriff, John Bryant; Clerk, John E. Fisher; Deputy Clerk, Orlando Moffatt; Register, John E. Fisher; Treasurer, Wm., Gill; Prosecuting Attorney Eli Tuttle.
1867. Sheriff, Samuel Wilson; Clerk, John Miller; Deputy Clerk, Archibald Butter; Register, John I. Miller; Treasurer, Wm. Gill; Prosecuting Attorney, Seth C. Moffatt.
1860. Sheriff, Samuel Wilson: Clerk, Archibald Butters; Deputy Clerk, Alfred, John; Register, John I. Miller; Treasurer, Wm. Gill; Prosecuting Attorney, Seth C. Moffatt.
1871. Sheriff, Valentine Lee; Clerk, John E. Fisher; Deputy- Clerk, Stephen J. Hutchinson; Register, Johnathan Dewing: Deputy Register, Seth C. Moffatt;Treasurer, Wm. Gill;Prosecuting Attorney, Wm. H. Bryant.
1873. Sheriff, Eusefcius F. Dame; Clerk, Alfred John; Deputy Clerk, Geo. N. Smith; Register, Simeon Pickard ;Deputy Register, John O. Moffatt; Treasurer, Win. Gill; Prosecuting attorney, Seth C. Moffatt.
1875. Sheriff, Eusebius F. Dame; Clerk, Alfred John; Deputy Clerk. Geo. N. Smith; Register, Simeon Pickard; Deputy Register, Geo. A. Cutler; Treasurer, Wm. Gill; Prosecuting Attorney, Geo. A. Cutler.
1877. Sheriff, Geo. T. Carr; Clerk, Geo. Ray; Deputy Clerk, Stephen J. Hutchinson; Register, Alfred John; Treasurer, Wm. Gill; Prosecuting Attorney, Benj. IT. Derby.
1879. Sheriff, John Scott; Clerk, Geo. Steimel, jr.; Deputy Clerk, Samuel G. Wood; Register, Alfred John;-Deputy Register, C. W. Williams; Treasurer, Chas. W. Williams; Prosecuting Attorney, Abijah B. Dunlap.
The first term of Circuit Court for the County of Leelanau was held at the village of Northport, May 5,1804, Judge F. J. Littlejohn presiding.
It was held in a school house on the hill in Northport. Crises were tried, the only business appearing by the records as being transacted, was the appointing of necessary county officers and the entering of an order designating the common jail of Grand Traverse county to be used as the common jail of Leelanau county.
The second term was held on the l0th, of September, >>>>, at Northport, -Judge Littlejohn on the bench, during which term three civil cases were tried.
The first criminal case appearing on the Court journal is that of the Peoples. Peter Drew, for adultery. The case is entered on the docket under date of Sept. 14, 1865, It was continued until June ID, 1860, when a nolle was entered.
The first criminal sentenced from this county was an Indian named Louis Ash-que-gah-bowe, who was convicted of burglary, at the June term of court in 1800, and who was sentenced, by Judge Ramsdell to one year at hard labor in the State Prison at Jackson.
The first grand jurors summoned to serve at a term of Circuit Court for this county, were summoned for the August term 1867.
Hon. F. J. Littlejohn was the first Circuit Judge of the circuit of which Leelanau is a part. The records show that he held four terms of court in this county—the first commenced May 5,1864, and the last September 15, 1865.
Judge Littlejohn was succeeded by Hon. J. G. Ramsdell, who held his first term of court for this county June 19, 1866. Judge Ramsdell held this office of Circuit Judge until December 31,1875, holding his last term of court in Leelanau county in May of that year.
Hon. R. Hatch, the present- incumbent, succeeded Judge Ramsdell, holding his first term of court in March 1876. Since the organization of the county 310 cases have been entered on the Circuit Court calendar, of which 165 were civil cases, 110 chancery cases, and 35 criminal cases.
The Educational Interests of Leelanau County are like the county itself, still in their infancy. The county is as yet sparsely settled, not having a sufficiency of population gathered at but few points to demand good schools, erect suitable building's or bear the expense of maintaining them. Besides the population of the county is of a mixed character, consisting in part of those who have come here from the older states and are generally earnest supporters of public schools. Another class, and they composes large per cent of our people, are foreigners, coming from countries where a school system like ours is unknown. It requires some years for such to become familiar with our methods of school management; but when once they understand and can appreciate the benefits arising from the common school system, they become its strongest friends and most earnest supporters.
There are also residing in this county several hundred Indians, who have among them a few schools under the school laws of the state, but which do not receive such cordial support from them as is demanded in order to success.
Beside the above recited obstacles to the rapid growth of educational interests, is the fact of the poverty of the people; which is ever the case in newly settled neighborhoods. All of the circumstances considered, the public schools of Leelanau county will compare favorably with those of other portions of the state.
The first schoolhouse in the county was built in 1850, by order of and at the expense of the United States Government.
It was located at the present site of Northport. It was erected under the supervision of the Rev. George N. Smith, who taught in it a mission school for the Indians, many years. The old building is still standing, an ancient landmark in the village of Northport. Its reverend builder, now a hale old gentleman, still resides in sight of it.
In 1855, Northport was organized into a school district under the common school law, being the first regular public school organized within the present limits of Leelanau County. The above still remains District No. l, of Leelanau Township.
In 1850, a small one story frame building was erected on the site of the present school building in Northport, and of which it now forms a part.
In 1867 a two story upright was attached to the school building, thus furnishing three convenient school rooms for the use of the schools in Northport.
Early in the history of the Northport schools, active measures were taken to establish a township library for Leelanau Township.
This library now contains about 800 volumes, which have evidently been selected with care, most of them being works of real worth.
The school at Northport. is at present organized under the graded school law, and is the only graded school in the county.
Of the remaining school districts of Leelanau Townships, No's. 2, 3 and 4 were organized in 1856,|No. 5 in I860, and No. 6 in 1863.
District No. 8 at New Mission, is the successor of an Indian mission school established at that place by Rev. Peter,Dougherty, in 1854.
Soon after the organization of the Northport district, a school district was instituted at Leland, which has grown with the growth of the county, and now maintains a first class public school.
Since 1860 the remaining parts of the county have been organized info school districts. Many of these occupy so large a territory, as to be of but Utile practical benefit to their scattered inhabitants. This evil however, is being gradually removed by the increase of population, thus enabling smaller territories to support a school.
In nearly all of the districts comprised within the county, small, but neat and convenient school building's have been erected.
In 1878, Suttons Bay erected a large two story school building the best in the county, and which will favorably compare with like buildings in any part of the state.
During the ten years last past, general interest in the educational affairs of the county, has rapidly increased.
The people are demanding better schools, and longer terms: a-higher grade of teachers is being employed, and receiving fair remuneration for their services.
Should this public interest continue to increase during the next decade, as rapidly as in the past Leelanau County in the near future may well hope to stand, as regards her educational interests, the peer of any of her sister counties in the state.
The surface of the country is rolling, and in some localities hilly.
The timber is mostly hardwood, with but little pine. In the lowlands, however, there is an abundance of hemlock and cedar.
The soil in the main is a rich sandy loam, although in some new localities it is an unproductive sand, and in others there is an occasional outcropping of clay. The soil is very strong, and produces good crops for a succession of years without the aid of fertilizers.
The country is well watered by numerous inland lakes and streams. Carp and Glen Lakes are the largest in the interior, the former being a beautiful body of water about 16 miles long, varying in width from a few rods to two miles. In some places it is very shallow, and in others very deep. For pickerel, black bass and muscalonge fishing, as well as for the smaller varieties of fresh water fish, this lake is unsurpassed by any in this famous fishing region. Glen Lake is also an excellent fishing ground, teeming with nearly every variety of the finny tribe indigenuous to fresh water.
The scenery in portions of the county is superb. "With the magnificent forests, the sheen of waters, the hills and valleys dotted here and there with villages and the clearings and habitations of the settlers, a beautiful panorama is spread before the beholder that will never be effaced from the memory.
In 1839 Leelanau county had 80,663 acres in farms, of
which 17,825 acres are improved, and 62,838 acres are unimproved.
There are 678 farms in the county, averaging 118, - 97 acres in each farm.
In 1874 Leelanau county had a population of 5,031, at the
present time the population will probably reach 6,000
We now propose to deal with each township within the
county separately, giving the location, soil, timber, the business transacted, and other items of interest.
present time the population will probably reach 6,000 We now propose to deal with each township within the county separately, giving the location, soil, timber, the business transacted, and other items of interest.
This is the northernmost township of the county, containing an area of about 42 square miles. The soil is variable, a
large portion of which is a rich black sandy loam, and in
some localities of a chocolate color with occasional cropping
out of clay; subsoil variable from yellow, sand with a mixture of limestone gravel to sand of lighter color and stony
bottom. Timber—maple, beech, basswood, elm, white ash,
and in the swamps and on the lakes and bay, cedar, hemlock
and aspen. Surface rolling, with the bluff in northwestern
portion. Apples, peaches, plums, pears, and other fruits are
very successfully raised in this township.
Agriculture and fruit raising is the principal business of
the inhabitants of the township. Large quantities of shipping and propeller wood are annually gotten out.
There are several villages in the township, the most important of which is Northport, the county seat. This village
contains between 800 and 400 inhabitants, four general merchandise and grocery stores, a good hotel, blacksmith shops,
a shoe shop, a steam and water power lumber and grist mill, a
broom handle factory, a printing office and a tannery. Several other branches of industry are represented in this village.
There are two church edifices in Northport—a Methodist
and a Congregational. The Lutheran and Catholic societies
also have organizations. - There are Indian Churches at New
Mission and Onominese.
As a summer resort Northport takes front rank among the
places in the Grand Traverse Region. In the beauty of its
location, pure atmosphere and waters, and in the facilities afforded for rest and for recreation in fishing, boating, etc., it is
surpassed by none.
The harbor of Northport is one of the best and most commodious on the chain of great lakes. There is a dock at
Northport and one two miles North of the village. The harbor affords one of the safest and best places for yacthing on
Omena or New Mission harbor is live miles south of Northport. and is one of the most beautiful spots in the region #
The Shobwosson Club, composed of ladies and gentleman
from Chicago, have their headquarters at this place every
season. The view from the hill between the lake and bay is
very fine. In the harbor there is a substantial dock, at which
a steamer daily calls during the season of navigation. There is a general merchandise store at this place.
Cat Head and Onominese are Indian villages of but few inhabitants at present.
There is good fishing in this township. Large numbers of
speckled trout are in the creek at Northport, at Ennis creek,
two miles south; at New Mission creek, five miles south, and
at a pond live miles west of Northport. Large numbers of
trout are caught in the bay at the mouth of streams and
about the docks. During the months of June and July there
is excellent trolling for lake trout in the harbor at Northport.
There is a State Road between Northport and Leland, and
the northern terminus of the Northport and Newaygo State
Road is at Northport.
There are several steamboat lines calling at this place, besides two bay boats daily. Northport has telegraphic
communication with the outside world, and a tri-weekly mail.
Agriculture and fruit raising is the principal business of the inhabitants of the township. Large quantities of shipping and propeller wood are annually gotten out.
There are several villages in the township, the most important of which is Northport, the county seat. This village contains between 800 and 400 inhabitants, four general merchandise and grocery stores, a good hotel, blacksmith shops, a shoe shop, a steam and water power lumber and grist mill, a broom handle factory, a printing office and a tannery. Several other branches of industry are represented in this village.
There are two church edifices in Northport—a Methodist and a Congregational. The Lutheran and Catholic societies also have organizations. - There are Indian Churches at New Mission and Onominese.
As a summer resort Northport takes front rank among the places in the Grand Traverse Region. In the beauty of its location, pure atmosphere and waters, and in the facilities afforded for rest and for recreation in fishing, boating, etc., it is surpassed by none.
The harbor of Northport is one of the best and most commodious on the chain of great lakes. There is a dock at Northport and one two miles North of the village. The harbor affords one of the safest and best places for yacthing on the lakes.
Omena or New Mission harbor is live miles south of Northport. and is one of the most beautiful spots in the region # The Shobwosson Club, composed of ladies and gentleman from Chicago, have their headquarters at this place every season. The view from the hill between the lake and bay is very fine. In the harbor there is a substantial dock, at which a steamer daily calls during the season of navigation. There is a general merchandise store at this place.
Cat Head and Onominese are Indian villages of but few inhabitants at present.
There is good fishing in this township. Large numbers of speckled trout are in the creek at Northport, at Ennis creek, two miles south; at New Mission creek, five miles south, and at a pond live miles west of Northport. Large numbers of trout are caught in the bay at the mouth of streams and about the docks. During the months of June and July there is excellent trolling for lake trout in the harbor at Northport. There is a State Road between Northport and Leland, and the northern terminus of the Northport and Newaygo State Road is at Northport.
There are several steamboat lines calling at this place, besides two bay boats daily. Northport has telegraphic communication with the outside world, and a tri-weekly mail.
In this township there are two villages, Suttons Bay and Pshawba, the latter an Indian village of some 300 inhabitants.
Suttons Bay is a lively place of 250 or 300 inhabitants, containing four stores, two hotels, a fine brick school house, a saw mill, printing office, blacksmith and shoe shops, etc. Quite an extensive mercantile business is transacted at this place, and being situated in the center of a tract of valuable farming land, it must inevitably become a village of importance. The Catholics have a good church edifice at this place and other denominations hold religious services in the school building. There are three docks in the village. An extensive wood trade is carried on here.
At Pshawba the Catholics have a church building. A water power grist mill is also located here.
There is a general mercantile store and a dock at Bingham, six miles south of Suttons Bay.
The township is well settled with thrifty farmers who are rapidly extending their clearings. As an agricultural section, this township stands prominent in the Grand Traverse Region.
For the health an pleasure seeker Bingham offers great at- tractions. Suttons Bay is the center of excellent trout fishing, there being three trout streams running through the village Two within three mile north, and several more within a short distance in other directions. Carp Lake and the Bay also afford fine bass, pickeral and lake trout fishing.
This township lies west of Leelanau and Bingham, Lake Michigan being its western boundary. The soil is a sandy loam with an occasional cropping out of clay; subsoil, yellow sand mixed with limestone gravel and clay. Timber, maple, beech, elm, basswood, white ash and birch, and in the swamps and near the lakes, cedar, hemlock, Norway pine and aspen. Watered with lakes and numerous spring books.
The village of Lei and is situated between Carp and Lake Michigan, on Carp River. The location is very fine, commanding an extensive view of Carp Lake, Lake Michigan and the Manitou Islands. The village contains between 300 and -too inhabitants. The blast furnace of the Iceland Iron Co., is located here. This company has a general supply store at this place, and there is a drug store, a general mercantile -store, a hotel, saw mill, blacksmith, shop, etc. The roads in about Leland Are exceptionally fine. The boating and fishing hereabouts are also excellent. In Lake Michigan at this place are two piers. There is excellent farming land in the township. The vast territory around Carp Lake is naturally tributary to Leland. In the village are Congregational, Lutheran and Catholic church edifices.
In the southeastern corner of the township is an artesian well some 700 feet deep, from which spouts a stream of mineral water about six inches in diameter, rising to a height of 12 or 15 feet. This water possesses valuable medicinal qualities, and the day is not far distant when it will become a famous summer resort. This well 'is but; a few rods from Carp Lake. The surroundings are very pleasant, so that Nature has done her share for this locality. Near the well and over the Narrow, of Carp Lake is a bridge.
There is a tri-weekly mail between Leland and Suttons Bay. Leland also has a telegraphic communication.
This is a good farming township, south of Leland, bounded
on the east by Carp Lake, the northwest corner touching
Lake Michigan. The soil is a black sandy loam of superior
quality, and in places strongly mixed with clay and of a chocolate color; subsoil, mostly sand and limestone gravel. Timber the same as townships previously described. Surface undulating to hilly bordering on the lakes. Watered with lakes
Good Harbor, in this township, is erroneously located on the
map in Cleveland. This place is near Lake Michigan, and
contains a general merchandise store and a hotel. The township is well settled-
Good Harbor, in this township, is erroneously located on the map in Cleveland. This place is near Lake Michigan, and contains a general merchandise store and a hotel. The township is well settled-
This township is west of Centerville, bordering on Lake
Michigan on the north. Soil, a black sandy loam of superior
quality and in places largely mixed with clay and of a chocolate color; subsoil, mostly sand and limestone gravel.
Timber same its other townships. Surface undulating to hilly
bordering on lakes. Watered by numerous lakes and streams.
A fractional township west of Cleveland, being bounded on the north by Lake Michigan. The soil is variable; on some of the cultivated land it is first-class, and on a large proportion of the bottom lands sandy. The timber is beech, maple, oak, Norway pine, cedar, aspen, cherry, balsam, and tamarac. Surface—a portion of the land-bordering on Glen Lake and Lake Michigan is billy; the balance is level on bottom lands. In the western portion of the township is what is known as Sleeping Bear Point, covered with drifting sands. There are three villages in the township—Glen Haven, Glen Arbor, and Port Oneida, with docks at each.
At Glen Haven the Northern Transit Go. carry on an extensive business furnishing their steamboats with fuel. There is a general supply store, saw mill, hotel, blacksmith, paint, and other shops in the village. There are one or two propellers calling at this place nearly every day during the season of navigation, so that the communication with lake ports is unsurpassed by any place in this region.
At Glen Arbor there is a pier, store and a hotel. This place is very pleasantly situated between Glen Luke and Lake Michigan, in a grove of pine trees. There is a grist and saw mill at this place.
Port Oneida is a station for wooding steamboats, containing a general merchandise store. For fruit raising this township is unsurpassed by any in the State.
This is the southeastern township of the county. Soil variable. Black sandy loam with an occasional outcropping of clay; subsoil mixed with yellow sand and limestone gravel. Timbered about the same as the other townships. Surface variable, with fine level table lands, in portions of the southern part. It is somewhat hilly about Glen Lake and Lake Michigan.
Empire is a good farming township. On Lake Michigan is a wooding station. Burdickville, in the northeastern part, on Glen Lake, is a village of local commercial importance, containing two general merchandise stores, blacksmith shop and printing office. The village is pleasantly situated, commanding a fine view of Glen Lake.
This is in the southern tier of townships, and east of Empire. The soil in the southeast corner is sandy and second
rate; in the south part it is a black sandy loam, with a subsoil mixed with clay, sand and lime cobble stone; in the
northern portion the soil is the same, with a subsoil mixed
with clay, sand and limestone gravel. The timber is principally maple, rock elm and bass wood, with scattering beech,
hemlock, white ash and water elm. Surface in the southern
and central parts slightly undulating; in the northern part,
some hills with fertile valleys. The township is well watered with small lakes, springs and brooks.
Maple City is a small village in this township, containing a postoffice and a store.
Maple City is a small village in this township, containing a postoffice and a store.
This is also one of the southern tier of townships. The soil in the eastern part is a black sandy loam; in the western part the soil is good, but of a lighter color. Surface, undulating to hilly. The timber is about the same as in the other townships, with the exception of there being sufficient white pine for home consumption.
In this township are some of the best improved farms in the county.
The land is generally well watered with springs and spring brooks.
There are three sawmills and five school houses in the township.
Elmwood is the southeastern township of the county fronting Grand Traverse Bay on the east. The soil in the western
part is a black sandy loam; in the eastern part the soil is
good, but of a lighter color. The timber is about the same as
in Solon. Surface undulating. Well watered by lakes and streams.
In this township is a sawmill, a grist mill, tannery, a brick
yard and a carding mill.
In this township is a sawmill, a grist mill, tannery, a brick yard and a carding mill.
A cruise around the bay in the steamers Clara Belle or City of Grand "Rapids is a charming experience. The water rarely has swell-enough to create sea-sickness, and the scenery is as picturesque as it is varied and beautiful. Abrupt bluffs and rugged, ravine-split lulls alternate with gently ascending sandy beaches on either side, and here and there pretty islands covered to the water's edge with a dense growth of pine, hemlock, maple, and cedar trees, lie green and breezy on the bosom of the dark hut clear, pure water. The sky is blue as that of Italy, the sun shines with fervent power; but the breeze flows on through the yellow glare, cooling everything and blunting the keenness of the beams of heat reflected from the bay.
Northport has the best situation for a summer resort of any place in this region. Here quietude and plenty prevail. Good sweet milk and butter, abundance of whitish and trout, bass and pickerel, fresh healthy berries, fowl and mutton are always on your table, either at hotel or private house. You see nothing of fashion or dissipation, you can be as secluded as you wish, and yet you get your daily paper and have a telegraph office at hand. I have never anywhere seen a liner place for pleasure sailing than Northport harbor.
Portage or Carrying Point, to the eastward of Northport, is a place of great beauty and interest. It is a diminutive and very low promontory joined to Leelanau by the merest neck of an isthmus, over which the Indians were wont to carry their canoes, whence the name Portage Point. From the extremity of this point a wide view is presented, embracing Northport on the west, three miles away. Seven miles southward New Mission Point looms up, its apparent altitude greatly exaggerated by the extreme transparency of the water and air. Still further off southeastward, on the east side of the peninsula, you see the lighthouse and Old Mission Point, whilst over across the bay a slim arc of white specks, like a flock of geese sunning themselves on shore. marks the site of the little village of Norwood. Northward the water and the sky meet in a silver line that shakes and shines, and wavers with all the dreamful uncertainty of distance. Portage Point is a sand bluff quite level on top and and covered with bright beautiful groves, through which the wind goes singing a slumberous song. A balsamic odor greets you before you reach the shore, the welcome sent out by waving pines and nodding firs. Lying in the shade of these trees, watching the vessels go by, while the wind ripples over me and the water swashes on the pebbly beach below ;me, seems quite near enough the ideal of what the poets call "dolce far niente and loisir embaunme". But night is coming on, and a perfect calm broods over the bay. Scarcely a ripple is pei'ceptible. -The stars are shining out of the water as out of the sky, and the little steamer that brings the mail from home is coming in. How deliciously cool the air is. This afternoon our party returned to this place after a day or two spent in visiting by means of an open sailboat, several of the most interesting minor points on the shores of Grand Traverse Bay. To me these out-of-the-way, little-visited nooks are more fascinating and in every way better worth seeing than the fashion-haunted popular resorts. whither most summer tourists naturally drift. The sun shines clearer, and brighter, the air is cooler, and balmier in quiet coves and sheltered nights than on the beaches where carriages whist past one all the time, and where the brass bands blare till all the bulcolic spirit is frightened away. I like, when I undertake to rusticate, to get where I can hear,
And buzzings or the honied hours."
For what judgment does one exhibit in flying from the
heat and dust of the city, and the cares of business and social life if he steers directly to the heat and dust of another city and with social and fashionable meshes more confining and weary than the first? One of the pleasantest of the
places visited is Leland, where we caught black bass and
rock bass in such quantities that I am amazed myself whenever 1 think of it. Every sportsman knows that when I say
I caught over 80 bass in Carp Lake in less than two hours.,
that I am either lying or telling of the finest bass fishing in
the world. I am not lying, and I say I caught over 40, I saw
a man catch over two bushels with a single hook in less time.
Carp Lake, on the west shore of which Leland is situated, is
more like the St. Johns river, Florida, than like a lake. In
length and breadth it does not, of course, compare with the
great lagoon, but its shores, like those of Grand Traverse Bay,
are clothed in variegated slumberous looking verdure very
similar to that, from Mandarin to Palatka. The water is so
clear that in some places the lake bottom may be seen through
six fathoms. A drive of about two miles to the westward
from Northport takes you to a high bluff on the shore of
Lake Michigan, from where one can see the. Manitou, Fox,
and Beaver Islands, while far away southward rises that singular white peak known to sailors as Sleeping Bear.
But what will strike the intelligent traveler most forcibly in
his sauntering's round the bay and through the county are
the many wild and charming and arranged upon
which to build summer cottages. Beautiful hills gently
sloping down to the white surf— lashed beach are thickly
wooded with small maple trees, can be bought from $5 to $l5