Lenawee Co MI
The first settlement where the city of Hudson now stands was made by Hiram Kidder, October 29th, 1833. Mr. Kidder came from Yates county, New York. He located his land on section 8 and built a house upon it previous to moving- his family, which consisted of his wife and five children, in October. The house had neither windows nor doors, and the nearest neighbor was twelve miles away. The whole of the country then known as The Bean Creek Valley, was an unbroken wilderness. Several other entries of land were made in the township that year, and on the evening of the first day of November, two days after their settlement, there was a most important arrival, consisting of the family of Charles Ames, comprising his wife and four children, Elizabeth, Henry, William and Ezra, Miss Ball, sister of Mrs. Ames, and Alpheus Pratt. This was the foundation of the present prosperous city of Hudson. In 1834, Hiram Kidder platted the village of Lenawee, which was acknowledged and recorded in the Register's office of Lenawee County. June 13th. That year Mr. Kidder built a mill, and Dudley Worden opened a store.
In May, 1834, Beriah H. Lane and his brother, Erastus, moved in and determined to found a village in opposition to Mr. Kidder. The settlement prospered, the first election being held April 4th, 1836, when B. H. Lane was elected justice of the peace. In May following a postoffice was established and named Lanesville, with Mr. Lane as postmaster, and the entire settlement was formally consolidated as Lanesville. By common consent the nameof the village was afterwards changed to Hudson, at the suggestion of Hiram Kidder.
The first newspaper published in Hudson appeared July 9th, 1853. The paper was called the Hudson Sentinel, and T. D. Montgomery was editor and proprietor.
The city contains eight churches, many of them fine edifices, all well attended and in flourishing condition.
It has a fine public school system, with adequate buildings and equipment. Its business interests are large and varied, with ample banking capital, and several factories and important enterprises have been developed and fostered within its borders.
Source: Illustrated history and biographical record of Lenawee County, Mich. Author: Knapp, John I., 1825-1903
Hudson MI - South Church Street 1908 - Contributed by Paul Petosky