This township, which was formed as Iena by an act of the State
Legislature, approved March 6, 1838, is situated in the northwest corner
of Livingston County. Adjoining township organizations are Antrim,
in Shiawassee Co., on the north, Locke, in Ingham Co., on the west, and
Cohoctah and Handy respectively, in Livingston, on the east and south.
This township was formed from Howell, Section 3, of an act to organize
certain townships, reads as follows:
"All that portion of the county of Livingston designated by the United States survey as township number four north, of range number three cast, be, and the same is hereby set off and organized into a separate township, by the name of Iena, and the first township-meeting therein shall be held at the house of Levi Parsons, in said township."
The inhabitants became dissatisfied with this name, because of its similarity to Ionia, and for other reasons, and by a special act, approved March 20, 1841, it was changed to Conway.
The surface may be described in general terms as of an undulating character, the rolling and more elevated portions being found on the eastern border. The major portion of the township, or perhaps three-fourths of it, was covered originally with a heavy growth of hard wood timber, termed by the early settlers "timbered openings."
The soil is of a rich loam, very productive, and the people are uniformly successful in the cultivation of wheat, corn, fruits, and other field products.; The streams are unimportant. Cedar River cuts the extreme southwest corner, while one or two small tributaries of the Shiawassee cross its northern and eastern borders.
The people are chiefly agriculturists. Well-improved farms and tasteful farm-buildings abound in every portion, and the present population is estimated at about 1200.
|EARLY SETTLERS||THE FIRST....|
|Frederick B. and Cecil D. Parsons||Township Meeting|
|Ladyard S. Adams||Public-House|
|Martin W. Randall||
: Supervisor, Clerks, Treasurer, Assessor
|John Coughran||Justices of the Peace|
|Warren G. Grant||Drain Commissioners|
|Early Resident list||Who purchased Gov't land|
|1838 Tax Roll||Sections 1-5|
|1844 Tax Roll||Sections 6-10|
|1845 Tax Roll||Sections 11-15|
|1846 Tax Roll||Sections 16-20|
|1847 Tax Roll||Sections 21-25|
|1848 Tax Roll||Sections 26-30|
|First Schools||Religion in the Township|
|Superintendent of Schools||CEMETERY|
|School Districts||Cemeteries in the Township|
|Benjamin Porter Sherman||First Road|
|Luther Child||Early Highways|
|William P. Stow|
|Levi H. Bigelow||ORGANIZATIONS|
|Cecil D. Parsons||Patrons Of Husbandry|
Copyright © Genealogy Trails