Mackinac County MI
Interior View of Ste. Ann's Church - 1959 - Contributed by Paul Petosky
According to available records this was the first parish in the United States of America to be dedicated to the Mother of the Virgin Mary. "The parish of Sainte Anne of Michilimackinac was established in 1695." The present church was built in 1874.
The original St. Anne Church was built in what is now Mackinaw City in 1743. In 1780 the structure was dismantled and hauled across the ice-covered Straits of Mackinac to Mackinac Island. In 1827 the church was moved to its current location. The present church was built in 1874 and the rectory, still in use today, was built in 1881.
St. Ann's Church photo by J.F. Witkowski June 2013