Mackinac County MI
1909 Postcard contributed by Paul Petosky
Couple in the Postcard probably Wm Caffey & wife
HISTORY OF THE CAFFEY, MI POST OFFICE
Located in Mackinac County, Hendricks Township began as a lumber settlement with a station on the Minneapolis, St. Paul & Sault Ste. Marie Railroad. It was originally named Lewis in 1891, so the post office couldn't be named this, as there was another town in MI that had a post office named Lewis, it was located in Genesee County that had operated from (1899-1902).
Actually there was another town in MI that was named Lewis (Calhoun County) that had a post office and operated from 1836 to 1837. Caffey was named after Pennsylvania-born Civil War vereran William N. Caffey. The Caffey Post Office was established on November 23, 1899 with William N. Caffey as its first postmaster.
Postmasters that served at the Caffey, MI Post Office are listed as follows:
All that remains today is the old Caffey Cemetery and a railroad siding marked Caffey.
Map of Caffey Michigan in Mackinac County in 1911
Postmarks of the Past