The Grand Hotel In the 50's

Mackinac County MI

Lake View Hotel 1907 - Contributed by Paul Petosky

Mackinac, MI postmark dated August 5, 1855.
The MACKINAC ISLAND Post Office was originally established as MICHILIMACKINAC on April 14, 1819 with Adam D. Stewart as its first postmaster. Name changed to MACKINAC around 1822; the name changed to MACKINAW around 1863. Name changed back to MACKINAC on April 27, 1876; name changed to MACKINAC ISLAND on May 12, 1884. The Mackinac Island, MI Post Office uses zip code 49757. (Contributed by Paul Petosky)


Mackinac Island MI -- Street View 1905 - Contributed by Paul Petosky

Main Street Mackinac Island Michigan 1931 - contributed by Paul Petosky

Michigan State Park Mackinac Island MI

The "North West" on the left - The Sainte Marie on the Right Both made scheduled stops on Mackinac Island
Photos by Rossiter - contributed by Paul Petosky
"Standard Guide to Mackinac Island and Northern Lake Resorts 1904"
Sainte Marie was owned by the Mackinac Transportation Company of St. Ignace, MI from 1893 to 1913.

Also from Paul -- The Sainte Marie was owned by T.L. Durocher Company of Detour, MI from 1913-1927. It was abandoned at Detour, MI in 1927. Official #: 116574 Place of build: Wyandotte, MIBuilder: Detroit Dry Dock Company Date of Build: 1893 Vessel Length: 288 feet: Vessel Width: 53 feet: Vessel Depth: 19.50 feet: Gross Tonnage: 1357.04: Net Tonnage: 678.52: Hull Material: Wood: Hull Number: 00112

**There was also another vessel named Sainte Marie built in 1913 by the Toldeo Shipbuilding Company at Toldeo, OH. This was built for the Mackinac Transportation Company in St. Ignace, MI who owned this vessel from 1913-1961. When winter service began in 1931 the Highway Department arranged with the Mackinac Transportation Company to carry cars across the Straits on a railroad icebreaker during the cold winter months. In 1936 the Highway Department decided to lease the railroad icebreaker Sainte Marie for winter operations on a regular basis. In 1961 it was sold to the Sadoff Company, Fond du Lac, WI and in 1962 is was scrapped in Ashtabula, OH.


Daily scene on the Docks, Mackinac Island, MI (1906) - Contributed by Paul Petosky


Sunset from Mackinac Island, MI (1906) - Contributed by Paul Petosky


Mackinac Island, MI (Observation Tower at Fort Holmes) (1909) - Contributed by Paul Petosky


Mackinac Island, MI (Mackinac from the Fort) (1905) - Contributed by Paul Petosky


Mackinac Island, MI (1902) - Contributed by Paul Petosky


Mackinac Island, MI (Street Scene) (1940s) - Contributed by Paul Petosky