Mackinac County MI
When the removal was voted, it became necessary to procure a new courthouse, and to this end, a special election was held in June, 1882. to vote on the question of a loan of $17,000 for new county buildings at St. Ignace. Al that time, the committee in charge received the following offers of location for the buildings:
(1) Michael Marlcy submitted for consideration three bluff sites on claims 15 and 16, cither to be 300 feet square, with streets 100 feet wide to be laid out on each side of the square except around the site on Portage street, where only three sides could have thoroughfares of such width due to the fact that Portage street was already located and of less width than the proposed avenues.
(2) In addition to a 300-foot square in the heart of the village, an offer to which Brooks B. Hazelton added a thousand dollars, the Murrays offered any site on their bluff the committee might select.
(3) Mrs. Amelia Crain offered two sites, the first containing from three to five acres on Grain's bluff, having an elevation of 200 feet and a fine view of the straits, and the second 100x200 feet on Lake avenue.
(4) From three to five acres on claim 3 were offered by P. W. Hombach.
(5) Matilda Wendell, through her agent, W. P. Preston, offered a site of two acres in extent on claim 11.
(6) The Mackinac Lumber company, through B.B. Hazelton, proposed to give a location 200 feet east of the Reagon shops and to donate $1,000 if either the Crain, Murray, or the lumber company site were chosen by the committee.
With such generous response from the people of the community, the matter of location of the new county buildings was easily settled, the committee accepting the offer of Michael Marley for the location at Prospect and Marley streets. No sooner had the location been made than negotiations were opened for the construction of the courthouse, sheriff's residence, and jail. Plans for an $18,000 courthouse were accepted by the board, and on August 16, 1882, the cornerstone of the courthouse was laid with ceremonies at which W. P. Preston, chairman of the county board, was presiding officer and Judge Charles R. Brown was the speaker of the day.
Thus was the county seat established at St. Jgnace, and the
courthouse, sheriff's residence and jail, as they stand today, were
completed with all dispatch after the laying of the cornerstone,
being ready for occupancy within a comparatively short time
Excerpt of A History of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan ... by George Newman 1873 - 1957