French Fisherman who came to Gros Cap (on the shore below) early last century also participated in its offshore settlement, St. Helena Island, where ships obtained wood fuel and other supplies. There in 1850, Archie and Wilson Newton set up a fishing and shipping business. The community thrived for more than 30 years.
Photo contributed by Paul Petosky.
Plaque erected 1962
W. of St. Ignace US 2