Mackinac Island Memories

The Grand Hotel In the 50's

Mackinac County MI

Main Street Mackinac Island Michigan 1931 - contributed by Paul Petosky

Michigan State Park Mackinac Island MI


Sunset from Mackinac Island, MI (1906) - Contributed by Paul Petosky


Mackinac Island, MI (Observation Tower at Fort Holmes) (1909) - Contributed by Paul Petosky


Mackinac Island, MI (Mackinac from the Fort) (1905) - Contributed by Paul Petosky


Mackinac Island, MI (1902) - Contributed by Paul Petosky


Looking down from the Old Fort, Mackinac Island, MI (1906) - Contributed by Paul Petosky
Fort Mackinac was a military outpost garrisoned from the late 18th century to the late 19th century on Mackinac Island in the U.S. state of Michigan. Built by the British during the American Revolutionary War to control the strategic Straits of Mackinac between Lake Michigan and Lake Huron (and by extension the fur trade on the Great Lakes), it was not relinquished by the British until fifteen years after American independence. It later became the scene of two strategic battles for control of the Great Lakes during the War of 1812. During most of the 19th century, it served as an outpost of the United States Army. Closed in 1895, the fort is now a museum on the grounds of Mackinac Island State Park and has been designated a National Historic Landmark. (Information from Wapedia)

Gallery Mackinac County
Gallery 1 Mackinac Island
Gallery 2 Mackinac Island
Gallery 3 Mackinac County
Gallery 4 St. Ignace
Gallery 5 St. Ignace
Gallery 6 Ft. Holmes
Gallery 7 St. Ignace
Gallery 8 Curtis
Gallery 8 Curtis 2nd page
Gallery 8 Curtis Hotels
Gallery 9 St. Ignace
Gallery 10 Garnet
Gallery 11 Ships
Gallery 12 Gould City
Gallery 13 St. Ignace