Contributed by Patti Wulff
From Leeson's History of Macomb County, Michigan, pp.742
Various names for the new township were proposed, which, each in turn, met with various objections, until one of the Grays proposed the name of Bruce, in honor of Scotland's reknowned chieftain. The name being short, easily written and pronounced, commended itself to the people at once, and was accepted.
That portion of Macomb County comprised in surveyed Township 5 north, Range 12 east, was erected into a township under the name of Bruce March 9, 1833, and the first town meeting ordered to be held at the schoolhouse near James Bushnell's, the first Monday in April, 1833.
The first town meeting was held at the schoolhouse near James Bushnell's house, April 1, 1833. Gideon Gates was Moderator, and Martin Buzzell, Clerk. The election resulted in the choice of Gideon Gates, Supervisor; Martin Buzzell, Clerk; Isaac Thompson, J.W.L. Collins and Jesse Bishop, Assessors; Erastus Day, George Throop and Heman Holmes, Commissioners of Highways; Gad Chamberlin, Poor Director; Asahel Bailey, Treasurer; Hiram Hopkins, Collector and Constable; Erastus Day, Ezra Finch, Lure Hovey, Rhominah Bancroft, Daniel Olverson, Levi Washburn and Mark Winchell, Overseers of Highways.
In the year 1830 or 183, the portion of the township known as the "Scotch Settlement" began to be occupied. One or two families --Crawford and Wylie, also David Taylor-- were there previously. Dr. Neil Gray and his brother Hugh came to Romeo, and, acting on the advice of Jesse Bishop, located the tract since known as the Gray farm. The relatives of the Grays came over from the country of Robert Burns and settled near the Gray farm. The Resides, Reids, Hopkinses, Muirs, Wassons, Hamiltons, Borlans, Stephenses and many others soon followed. Josiah T. Sanborn, one of the first settlers of Bruce, still resides in the northeast part of the township