BUSINESS AND MANUFACTURING
Hatheway's planing-mill, sash, door and blind factory was built by the Kern Brothers
in 1863. Those settlers disposed of their interest in the concern to the present owners. The
lumber for this concern is shipped in the Hatheway boats from Alpena. The machinery
is driven by a forty five horse-power engine, and is of the newest pattern. The building
is 40x60 feet, and the whole concern under the management of M. M. Sanders.
J. C. Adams, proprietor of the Adams Planing-Mill, built by John A. Smith in 1877, must be numbered among the large lumber-manufacturers of Michigan. He purchased this concern in 1881, and introduced whatever machinery was necessary-to render it a first- class factory. He is also owner of the East Tawas steam saw-mill, the capacity of which is estimated at 35,000 feet per day. These industries give employment to fifty-two men. His lumber harvest averages 4,000.000 feet every winter. This average will be increased during the coming season, as it is his purpose to extend the business here, introduce more machinery, and invest $10,000 more in the concern.
The stave and heading factory erected in 1852 by William Jennyis still in operation.