Contributed by Patti Wulff
From Leeson's History of Macomb County, Michigan, pp.900
Among the earliest and most prominent settlers of Chesterfield Township were the Ashleys, Louis La Forge (who died in 1872, nearly one hundred years old), Francis Yax, the Miltons, John Horriman, Robert W. Knight, William Little, Elisha Weller, John and Stephen Fairchilds, Zephaniah Campbell, Zara Granger, Joseph Horriman and John Lusk.
The first actual white settler in Chesterfield was Charles Jennar, born at a point in Harrison Township now called Liverpool, in 1816. He came with his grandfather, Charles Seer, in 1819, to an Indian village then located one half mile below New Baltimore, where Seer bought some land and there settled. Shortly after this, other pioneers came and located near the Indian village, then standing by the Riviere Aux Vase.
Among the first German settlers in Chesterfield were Mr. Barker, father of William Barker, of New Baltimore; ----- Seifert, Armand Rabe, ---- Krause; Reumen, who settled on Salt River in 1853; and J.J. Wuestenberg, who settled on Section 10, in 1854. The family of the latter settler numbered twenty-one, including children and grandchildren.
The first post office in Chesterfield was established in 1837, with Robert O. Milton, Postmaster. The office was kept at his house, and bore the name New Haven Post Office. This was moved to New Haven village, and another established at Milton, now conducted by Alfred D. Rice.
The fractional township of Chesterfield was organized in the year 1842. It was taken from Macomb Township, and the first election was ordered to be held at the school house near the residence of Charles B. Matthews.
New Baltimore, formerly called Ashley, contains 1,100 inhabitants. Its location, on the lake shore, north of Anchor Bay, is very desirable. The village is thirty miles above Detroit, and four and one-half southeast of New Haven, on the Grand Trunk Railway, its nearest shipping-point. The village has four churches --Catholic, Congregational, Episcopal and Lutheran-- and a school known as the Hatheway Institute, built at a cost of $22,000, bequeathed by Gilbert Hatheway, deceased.
Chesterfield, a hamlet of fifty inhabitants, is located five miles north of Mt. Clemens. A few settlers located there in 1830, but not until the completion of the Grand Trunk Railroad through the township did the place become a little business center. In fact, until very recently, there was not a business house there. At present, Daniel McLean is the village blacksmith; James C. Patton, grocer; O.H. Patterson, cider-manufacturer; J.E. Tremain, railroad and express agent; and Samuel Weller, dealer in cattle.
Milton Village is located on the Grand Trunk Railroad, eight miles northeast of Mt. Clemens and thirty-three above Detroit. It has three churches --Baptist, Congregational and Methodist-- and a district school. The post office is conducted by A.D. Rice. The pastors of the churches are Rev. Messrs. P.A.C. Bradford, Congregational; D.W. Fuller, Adventist; F.A. Hazen, Methodist; and Rev. W. King, Baptist. The business circle comprises E.C. Denison and A.D. Rice. A. Goodsell is the physician; John McKinch and Ford J. Milton, Justices; William Hortenna, blacksmith.