Hotels of Mt. Clemens
Macomb County MI

Avery House
Early in the winter of 1879-80, there came to this place from New York a retired legal gentleman by the name of Judge Avery. He came here to take baths for rheumatism and was immensely benefited. Necessarily, he was deeply impressed with the great medicinal qualities of the water. He took a comprehensive view of the business, saw that an almost unlimited development was possible here, and came to the conclusion that a big hotel, beautiful grounds and a large bath-house would be paying things to invest in. Senator North, from Hancock, and C.B. Johnson, from New York, members of the spring company, came to attend the annual meeting a short time later, and the matter came up between the parties. Negotiations were begun looking to the objects above named. Judge Avery and his partners secured the whole block on East street, where the Mineral Springs Hotel now is, and the corresponding block on the river. This large lot of land was improved and devoted wholly to bath-house and hotel purposes.

The hotel structure is of magnificent proportions, and without doubt by far the largest of its kind in Michigan. It fronts on each side of the large block, three stories high, with a mansard roof, equivalent to a fourth story; length, 280 feet; width, 128 feet. There are 385 rooms, and accommodations for fully 500 guests. A spacious double veranda surrounds the building. It is substantially and carefully built, and every care is taken as to architectural beauty.

The hotel was built in sections, and the first of these, containing 100 rooms, was ready for opening June 1, 1880. The south wing of the building was opened in February, 1881.

The late proprietor of the Avery House was Morris Hichter. Seymour Smith, favorably known in connection with the hotel circles of the State, was manager. The hotel is telephonically connected with Detroit. The Avery House passed into the control of Mr. P. B. Bradt April 1, 1SS2. For many years this gentleman was a well-known landlord in Syracuse. N. Y., having kept the Exchange, Glob*' and other hotels in that vicinity. Although a Syracusan, Mr. Bradt is well known at Detroit, where he lived for several years. He is a quiet, genial gentleman, a thorough hotel man, and the Avery House already begins to feel the effect of new management. Mr. Bradt has taken the precaution to surround himself with able assistants, and the management of the office is entirely in the hands of Mr. Jerome Haight, late of the Vanderbilt House, Syracuse. Mr Haight seems to have been born to his calling, and has the happy facility of making guests understand that it is a pleasure to attend to their wants. He is, moreover, a thorough disciplinarian, a great requisite in the manager of a large hotel like the Avery. The steward under the new management is Mr. H. R. Johnson, late proprietor of the Crawford House, in Windsor. Mr. Johnson has been a practical hotel man nearly a quarter of a century.

Central Park Hotel
This house was erected in 1879 by Louis Sherman, who leasee it to the present proprietor, August Rosenburg, in 1881. It is located on the old William Canfield lot, contains twenty-eight well-furnished rooms, together with the accommodation which two large residences adjacent, belonging to the hotel, can offer. The Central is near the mineral springs and steamboat landing, is said to be a most comfortable house, well conducted, and a favorite with all who have made a stay there. Mr. Rosenburg, the proprietor, was born in Germany, came to Detroit in 1870, visited Texas in 1878, and located at Mount Clemens in 1881.

Clifton House
The Clifton House was erected in 1875 by John E. Brehler, who occupied it as a residence until 1878. Additions were made in that year, when it was converted into a hotel by North & Elliott. John E. Brehler operated the house from the fall of 1879 to May, 1880, when J. C. Elliott became lessee. In May, 1881, B. R. Jackson assumed control, and operated the hotel until the advent of the present proprietor, J. J. Strong, March 1 1882. The house is centrally located, standing on ornamental ground, solid brick structure and one of the best managed hostelries in the State. The proprietor, Mr. Strong, is a native of Canton, Illinois.; was a resident of Chicago for seven years and fully conversant with the management of a first-class hotel. Under him the Clifton was re-opened, March 7, 1882.


The Colonial Hotel

Mt. Clemens, MI (The Colonial) (1906) - Contributed by Paul Petosky


The Colonial Hotel 1911



Mt. Clemens, MI (The Sherman) - Contributed by Paul Petosky
Sherman Hotel
This important hotel was erected in the summer of 1865 by Henry Connor, and opened to the public in August, 1866. The house is 100x54 feet, three-story brick structure, containing forty-three rooms, together with parlors, etc.; is specially arranged for the purposes of a first-class hotel, is well conducted and 'inquestionably the only important commercial house between Detroit and Romeo. Mr. Connor, the proprietor, has been in the hotel business for the last thirty-five years; is an old resident of Mount Clemens and one of her most enterprising citizens.

Shackleton House
This hotel was built in the summer of 1881, one block east of bath-house, by Thomas Shackleton. It is the only "temperance hotel" in the city, and gives promise of being conducted on the temperunce plan so long as its builder lives. The hotel is now operated by John W. Cleveland, proprietor.

History of Macomb County, Michigan : Leeson, M. A. comp. (Michael A.) Chicago: Leeson, 1882.