Contributed by Patti Wulff
From Leeson's History of Macomb County, Michigan, pp.877
Lenox, MI (1909) - Postcard contributed by Paul Petosky
The principal stream in Lenox is Salt River, which runs due south through the eastern part of the township, affording motive-power for several mills along its course; next in importance comes Deer Creek and some of its minor tributaries, which afford water for agricultural and other purposes. With these streams the township is fairly watered. Pure spring water is obtainable by digging a few feet in almost any spot in the township.
The original settlers of the township were men of sterling worth, of great enterprise and of untiring industry. Among those who have left their names as the proudest portion of the history of the township are Abner Stevens, Phineas D. Pelton, Richard D. Bailey, Lanson Flowers, Ebenezer Brooks, John Church, Beverly Robinson, Thomas F. Dryner, Apolas A. Fubler, Owen Sheridan, Silas Leonard, J.R. Crandall and many others of equal prominence. The descendants of the larger part of the above are still inhabitants of the township, though many of them are to be found throughout the entire county.
The township of Lenox was organized in the year 1837. The first township election was ordered to be held at the dwelling-house of Sterling Case. There came a call from the Legislature through Linus Gilbert for the organization of the town in 1837. It was proposed by the inhabitants that the three oldest men in the town should give the name. Benjamin Haight, Mason Harris and Israel Dryer were selected, each selecting a name. The choice of Messrs. Haight and Harris was similar to those of other townships in the State. The choice of Israel Dryer was adopted, and the name of Lenox confirmed. The members of that committee died in the town at an advanced age, Mr. Dryer being near eighty-eight. Of the first voters, about forty in number, only five are living. viz., Oliver Cromwell, Hiram O. C. Harris, Justus R. Crandall, Thomas F. Dryer, of Lenox, and Ebenezer Brooks, of Armada. First Supervisor, Benjamin Haight; Thomas f. Dryer, first Clerk, served eleven consecutive years. In the absence of all political lines, peace and harmony prevailed many years. Regarding the profits of office in those early days, Mr. Dryer thinks the whole township business was done for several years for $100 per year, or less, and his charges as Clerk did not exceed $10. He also had the pleasure of boarding the three Highway Commissioners about three days each year free of charge the early settlers had a flourishing town library,w hich was well read for several years.
The first town meeting was held at the house of Sterling Case, April 3, 1837. William Francis, Thomas F. Dryer and Simon P. Miller were Inspectors, with Alanson Flower, Clerk. The election resulted in the choice of the following officers: Benjamin Haight, Supervisor; Thomas F. Dryer, Clerk; Justus R. Crandall, Collector; Jacob E. Hall, Mason Harris, Justin Corey, Eben Carl, Justices of the Peace; A. T. Corey, A. Flower, Jacob E. Hall, Assessors; Eben Carl, Abner Stevens, Eben Brooks, Road Commissioners; Carlos W. Brown, Justus R. Crandall, James M. Millard, School Commissioners; Oliver Bates, William Miller, Poor Directors; Mason Harris, William Miller, Alan. Flower, T.F. Dryer, School Inspectors; Justus R. Crandall, Justus Elsworth, Constables; Allen Hacket, A. Flower, Eben Brooks, C.W. Brown, William Miller, Jacob E. Hall, Lyman Bates, Silas Leonard, William Warner, Overseers of Highways.
New Haven was formerly known as New Baltimore Station. It is situated on the Grand Trunk Railway, thirty miles northeast of Detroit and ten miles northeast of Mt. Clemens. The village contains a population estimated at 620 inhabitants. It is distant from the village of New Baltimore five miles. The principal exports of the place are lumber and general agricultural products. Its chief manufactures are lumber, flour and heading. The village contains five general stores, one dry goods store, two boot and shoe stores, one drug store, one stove and tinshop, one harness shop, two wagon-shops, one cooper-shop, two blacksmiths, one livery stable, one grist and one saw mill and a good hotel. The resident physicians are M. Bates, A. Gunn, Peter McGregor, Ed N. Harris and Ed B. Harris. Tolcott Bates is the present Postmaster. The depot of the Grand Trucnk Railway, with a settlement called Ridgeway, is partly in Lenox Township and partly in Richmond. The village contains three churches --Baptist, Congregational and Methodist-- and a graded school. The first meeting of the citizens of New Haven, under the village charter of 1869, was held at the Lake Hall, May 3, 1869. Morgan Nye and Adam Bennett were Inspectors of Election and William H. Sutphin, Clerk. Benjamin L. Bates was elected President; W. H. Sutphin, Recorder; Morgan Nye, Treasurer; Isaac Cook, Adam Bennett, Assessors; Ephraim Fullerton, Conrad H. Gordon, Myron Bates, John Millard and William G. Carl, Trustees
1870 --President, Ephraim Fullerton; Recorder. William Sutphin; Treasurer, Myron Bates.
1871—President, Morgan Nye: Recorder. William G. Carl; Treasurer. Niles Gidding.
1872-75—President, Justus R. Crandall; Recorder. Clarence E. Fenton; Treasurer, Jacob D. Seaman.
1875-76—President. Adam Bennett; Recorder, Justus R. Crandall; Treasurer, Jacob D. Seaman.
1877- President, Adam Bennett; Recorder, Justus R. Crandall; Treasurer, Russell T. Hazleton.
1878- President, Clarence E. Fenton; Recorder, Justus R. Crandall: Treasurer, Russell T. Hazleton.
1879-82-President, Adam Bennett; Recorder, Justus R. Crandall; Treasurer, Russell T. Hazleton. Burton Nye was elected Clerk in 1881, and was succeeded by Justus R. Crandall, the present Clerk.
1882-88 President, Charles H. Sears: Clerk, J. R. Crandall; Treasurer, J. D. Seaman; Assessor, John C. Bates; Street Commissioner, Benjamin L. Bates: Constable, Oscar Slocum: George Welz, Isaac N. Cook, C. A. Smith and D. C. Rowley, Trustees.
Biographical Sketches of the township