Contributed by Patti Wulff
From Leeson's History of Macomb County, Michigan, pp.717
In the Stroup settlement were George Stroup, H. H. Wade, John Garvin, Sam Whitney, Reuben Warner, Elias M. Beach, James Perkins. The first blacksmith was Stephen Hewey. In the Davis settlement were Dan Kniffen, Lester Giddings, Calvin Davis, Daniel Miller, Chauncey Church. In the Cady settlement were the Cooks, Atwoods, Halls, Haskins. The Cadys, of Mt. Clemens, were represented here shortly after.
The township of Macomb, comprising Town 3 north, Ranges 13 and 14 west, was erected under authority of the Legislative Council, approved March 7, 1834, and the first meeting ordered to be held at the house of Daniel Shattuck. Chesterfield was established by the act of February 16, 1842, setting off the eastern half of Macomb Township into a township of that name.
In 1830, a post office was established and a village started under the name of Macomb. This spot was one of the most eligible in the county, being centrally located on the Middle Branch of the Clinton River, nine and a half miles north of Mt. Clemens, on the railway, same distance from Utica, on the D. & B.C.R.R., both used as shipping points, and thirty from Detroit. It has gone into premature disuse, however, the post office having been removed to Waldenburg. Frederick Jasmine was the first Postmaster. There is still a general store at the original site of Macomb. The place was started by Daniel Knife, Calvin Davis, Daniel Miller and Lester Giddiness. E.S. Axle was Postmaster for a number of years. Among the best-known citizens of the hamlet are E.S. Axle, Notary Public; Calvin Davis, farmer; Joseph Denial, general store; L.W. Giddiness, farmer; A.W. Knife, farmer; John Longstaff, farmer; N.H. Miller, farmer; W. Norton, farmer.
Waldenburg is a country post office in Waldenburg Township, [sic] Macomb County, six miles northwest of Mt. Clemens Court House, connected by semi-weekly mail line and via which it is thirty-one miles above Detroit. Has a steam saw and planing mill and ships grain and lumber. The population is set down at 15 in the census of 1880.
Mead is a post office for a farming community of about 200 people, in this township, thirty miles from Detroit, eight above Mt. Clemens Court House and four north of Milton, on the Grand Trunk Railway, connecting by weekly mail route; ship to New Haven on the same line, about same distance. In the vicinity are two churches and a new district school. Arthur E. Collins, Postmaster. The business community is made up as follows: M. Bentley, shoemaker; George Bode, blacksmith; Arthur E. Collins, general store; Samuel Foster, blacksmith; Francis Fourteen, Justice of the Peace; Reassume S. Wolves, blacksmiths.
The German Church organization purchased five acres of land on the corner south of Stephen Whitney's, and, in February, 1882, commenced to erect a church and parsonage. The building will be of wood, 32x52 feet, with burying-ground adjacent.