HISTORY OF THE BIRCH, MI POST OFFICE

Contributed by Paul Petosky


Birch, MI postmark dated December 27, 1911

Located in Michigan's Upper Peninsula was an old lumbering town named Birch. It was in Marquette County, Powell Township, and once had a station on the Marquette & Southeastern Railway. Birch (named from the abundant birch trees in the area) was a settlement formed around the Northern Lumber Company mill and general store.

The Birch Post Office was established on November 21, 1905 with L. Frank McKnight as its first postmaster.

In 1909, the population of Birch was 600. Charles N. Bottom was physician at that time. In 1915, the Lake Independence Lumber Company started a branch operation in Birch. In 1917, the population dwindled to 150. By 1920, the town was practically deserted.

Other postmasters serving at the Birch Post Office were:
William H. Elliott...................February 23, 1906
Frank E. Krieg......................April 1, 1907
Walter W. Jones...................September 1, 1911
Frank E. Krieg.......................October 12, 1912
Walter Peters.........................June 25, 1915 to March 31, 1920

The Birch Post Office discontinued operation on March 31, 1920; with mail service to Marquette.




Home