Marquette County
Michigan

City of Ishpeming

Ishpeming Hosptial in the 1920's
from Paul Petosky


The name of "Ishpeming" signifies "heaven" and is essentially a mining town. Its site was originally the site of the Lake Superior location which was started in 1853. In 1869, Robert Nelson, who had started the first store in 1860. bought the site from the Cleveland Iron company and in the summer of that year laid it out into lots, in the fall of the year, it was incorporated as a village and Captain G. D. Johnson was elected president with James McT.eon as justice of the peace and a Mr. Ryan as town marshal. Thereafter the place grew rapidly and was incorporated as a city in 1S73, at which time Captain F. P. Mills was elected mayor.
Source: A history of the upper peninsula of Michigan. Author: Fuller, George N. (George Newman), 1873-1957. Pg 93.



Ishpeming, MI (Winter Scene) (1906) - Contributed by Paul Petosky



Ishpeming, MI (January 1924) - Contributed by Paul Petosky



Ishpeming, MI (Main Street Looking North) (1906) - Contributed by Paul Petosky

Ishpeming, MI (Main Street) (1906) - Contributed by Paul Petosky



Ishpeming, MI (Miracle Shopping Center) (1950s) - Contributed by Paul Petosky



Ishpeming, MI (Deer Lake Spring) (1910s) - Contributed by Paul Petosky



Ishpeming, MI (City Hall) (1912) - Contributed by Paul Petosky



Ishpeming, MI (Y. M. C. A. Building) (1910s) - Contributed by Paul Petosky



Ishpeming, MI (Cliff's Drive) (1906) - Contributed by Paul Petosky



Ishpeming, MI (Lake Sally, City Water Supply) (1908) - Contributed by Paul Petosky



Ishpeming, MI (Long Lake) (1905) - Contributed by Paul Petosky

Home